Chat Forum
It is currently Mon Aug 20, 2018 9:12 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 11409 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 247, 248, 249, 250, 251, 252, 253 ... 286  Next
PostPosted: Fri Feb 09, 2018 11:36 pm 

bessantj wrote:
Leon Brown is coming on for the second half, the Dragons props have been a bit behind this game. I think Tyler Morgan had a HIA, but he's out for the second half. With any luck the Dragons will do something good here as I have to go out and miss the second half :(

Jackman seems to love withdrawing his props about 30 minutes in

PostPosted: Sat Feb 10, 2018 12:09 am 

La heinous wrote:
bessantj wrote:
Leon Brown is coming on for the second half, the Dragons props have been a bit behind this game. I think Tyler Morgan had a HIA, but he's out for the second half. With any luck the Dragons will do something good here as I have to go out and miss the second half :(

Jackman seems to love withdrawing his props about 30 minutes in

It might be all you get out of some of the Dragon's props. It ended 15-15, second draw of the year, missed the second half unfortunately.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 10, 2018 8:04 pm 

PHEW! That's over and Wales didn't shit themselves. Now we have...IRELAND IN DUBLIN IN TWO WEEKS?!?!?!?!?! x(

PostPosted: Sat Feb 10, 2018 8:06 pm 

I wish to apologise to Anscombe. Was the spark and drove us on in the 2nd half more than any other player

PostPosted: Sat Feb 10, 2018 8:06 pm 

Patchell, an international 10 :lol: :lol:

PostPosted: Sat Feb 10, 2018 8:07 pm 

Clive Simms wrote:
I wish to apologise to Anscombe. Was the spark and drove us on in the 2nd half more than any other player

Oh yeah, I hope they don't dump Patchell though he had a bad game but he still has chance to grow as a player.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 10, 2018 8:10 pm 

Can I come here to feel sad for a little while :(

PostPosted: Sat Feb 10, 2018 8:18 pm 

MaccTaff wrote:

It's not that bad at least Wales didn't get battered, in the scoreline anyway.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 10, 2018 8:21 pm 

MaccTaff wrote:

Normally after a loss to England I'm gutted but I'm pretty neutral about this one. They didn't get blown away despite a laughably long injury list and actually could have won the game with a bit more composure. Also that TMO decision. My word... x(

For the first time in years I feel like Wales are building towards something and this was just a step along the way. I think we might beat Ireland next round actually.

Last edited by New guy on Sat Feb 10, 2018 8:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 10, 2018 8:21 pm 

bessantj wrote:
MaccTaff wrote:

It's not that bad at least Wales didn't get battered, in the scoreline anyway.

I know. But I still maintain that was a winnable game.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 10, 2018 8:23 pm 

It is always nice to be able to come on here and blame a loss on the officials. :thumbup:

PostPosted: Sat Feb 10, 2018 8:47 pm 

Another bonus point for Wales :smug:

PostPosted: Sun Feb 11, 2018 11:26 am 

So after England proved everything I've said for 2 years right in that patchell is no 10, anscombe is a 10 and the turks strength is absolutely not their "best backline in europe" and rather international class forwards and replacements what do we change?

Anscombe obviously needs to play 10, scott needs to go, and for good, he is just no good after that injury, crying shame because while he wasn't getting selected he was fantastic, blowing that try, which was wonderfully crafted was criminal, Owen Lane, North perhaps?

Patchell in at 15, after the showing of last night T.Williams and Seb to come in, unsure of the pint of moriarty if he cant carry, but not tips, he cant drive a carrier back.

Rob, Ken, Francis, AWJ, Seb, Navidi, shingler, Moriarty, Williams, Anscombe, Sanjay, Parkes, North, Adams, Patchell For Ireland

Expecting much more Os, and far less for the rmwp to rant about.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 11, 2018 11:27 am 

If we play like that against Ireland we’re going to get seriously fücked.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 11, 2018 11:30 am 

Anscombe did himself a lot of favours he looked like a 10. I think they should start North, when he came on he managed to make yards which was something Wales were having problems with. The forwards were pretty good and after years of having an awful line-out Wales seem to have a pretty useful on these days. Getting Liam Williams back in would be a godsend as well as Halfpenny being available again. Ireland in Dublin though, that's frying pan to fire stuff for Wales.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 11, 2018 11:33 am 

Have to start the next game with Aled Davies.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 11, 2018 11:36 am 

How many mentions go Schindler not passing to Gareth Davies after his break have there been?

PostPosted: Sun Feb 11, 2018 11:44 am 

Gwenno wrote:
How many mentions go Schindler not passing to Gareth Davies after his break have there been?

Yeah doing a grubber instead of passing x( I don't know if he knew he had anyone in support though, he seemed to have surprised everybody. Maybe because he actually made a break rather than going into the tackle the Welsh players didn't know what was going on.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 11, 2018 11:52 am 

Gwenno wrote:

Wales could and should have won that game. Coughed up a really, really soft try after a minute, but then absorbed all the English pressure and created enough to nick it. Add that in with an incredible TMO decision and I expect the players will be absolutely gutted this morning.

But really it's a reason to be very positive. Wales can now (almost) field 2 starting XV's which are test quality and we're going to improve massively when players start coming back from injury.

Established team

1. Rob Evans
2. Owens
3. Lee
4. Ball
5. AWJ
6. Moriarty
7. Warburton
8. Faletau
9. Webb
10. Biggar
11. North
12. Parkes
13. Davies
14. Liam Williams
15. Halfpenny

Alternative team

1. Wyn Jones
2. Dee
3. Francis
4. Hill
5. Davies
6. Shingler
7. Tipuric
8. Navidi
9. Davies
10. Anscombe
11. Steff
12. Owen Williams
13. Scott Williams
14. Adams
15. Patchell

That's proper depth and more than I can ever remember us having before. The future is bright :thumbup:

PostPosted: Sun Feb 11, 2018 11:56 am 

Plato'sCave wrote:

Agreed, I can also see the 'let's change half the team' posts have started

PostPosted: Sun Feb 11, 2018 12:02 pm 

I'm really glad Dee is getting game time and pleased that when he comes on the scrum and line out don't seem to suffer. He has been playing very well for the Dragons and has already scored eight tries which is a very decent return for a hooker.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 11, 2018 12:03 pm 

Frodder wrote:
Plato'sCave wrote:

No need. I'd move Anscombe to 10 and bring back Liam Williams if fit and that's it.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 11, 2018 12:07 pm 

New guy wrote:
Frodder wrote:
Plato'sCave wrote:

No need. I'd move Anscombe to 10 and bring back Liam Williams if fit and that's it.

I hope Patch stays in the 23. Cliché alert, but he hasn't become a bad player overnight.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 11, 2018 12:17 pm 

I think Wales have the beating of France and Italy. Ireland going to be a really important game.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 11, 2018 12:20 pm 

bessantj wrote:
I think Wales have the beating of France and Italy. Ireland going to be a really important game.

If we beat Ireland on the middle weekend then our last 2 home games will be great fun. We'll put 60 points on Italy and probably get a try BP against France too, if the championship was on the line.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 11, 2018 2:58 pm 

Cardiff Blues had a good win over Cheetahs yesterday.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 11, 2018 4:46 pm 

bessantj wrote:
Cardiff Blues had a good win over Cheetahs yesterday.

True, after nearly blowing it.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 11, 2018 6:34 pm 

After that display v Scotland, I'm pretty optimistic that Wales can win. France were on their knees around the hour marks, Welsh defence could get them there quicker than that, if Wales keep their heads. Got to stop Teddy Thomas though, what a player.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 11, 2018 7:33 pm 

New guy wrote:
MaccTaff wrote:

Normally after a loss to England I'm gutted but I'm pretty neutral about this one. They didn't get blown away despite a laughably long injury list and actually could have won the game with a bit more composure. Also that TMO decision. My word... x(

For the first time in years I feel like Wales are building towards something and this was just a step along the way. I think we might beat Ireland next round actually.

This, but angry with the TMO.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 11, 2018 7:42 pm 

LandOTurk wrote:
New guy wrote:
MaccTaff wrote:

This, but angry with the TMO.

Wales are on a journey, a change of direction, a period of transition. With that in mind we lost to the second ranked team in the World by less than 1 score.
Baby steps. To even live with England considering our injuries was heartening.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 11, 2018 8:38 pm 

Thoughts from me on yesterday - I was there and haven't seen it back on TV yet, so it's based on Mt thoughts at the the time:

All in all it was both an encouraging and frustrating performance. England were much better in the first half, and I thought at half time that we might get a bit of a spanking BUT they never really got going in the second half and we started to play a bit, so whilst I thought we defended really well overall and did a great job of slowing down their ball, England won't play that poorly very often at home, so it's definitely a chance to beat them missed.

My view on the TMO is to always imagine the situation was reversed - I'd be hugely unhappy if that was given against us, so by that token it's fair enough to turn it down.

Swap Ford and Farrell with Patchell and Parkes yesterday and Wales win fairly comfortably imo - they were a different class yesterday.

Scrum and line-out both went well - Rob Evans struggled in his first two scrums against Cole but coped fine after that.

Gareth Davies was really poor for me - passes too high to Patchell when he needed to kick on many occasions, and some shit low passes that caused knock ons etc. I'd be really keen to see Aled get a go out in Dublin. Ken Owens was good, AWJ was excellent at slowing ball, as was Navidi. Cory Hill continues to quietly impress, Shingler was good again (although f**king hang on to the ball DON'T kick it...), Moriarty was quiet. Faletau and Warbers would have made a real difference in that type of game.

Patchell was unlucky really in terms of how the game played out - having a proper second 5/8 like Owen Williams probably would have been a better option ask you can then have a real go at getting around the England blitz from 13 onwards. Parkes was fine to be fair to him.

Still struggling to work out why we kicked the pen with 5 mins left.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 11, 2018 8:42 pm 

Paul_ wrote:
Thoughts from me on yesterday - I was there and haven't seen it back on TV yet, so it's based on Mt thoughts at the the time:

All in all it was both an encouraging and frustrating performance. England were much better in the first half, and I thought at half time that we might get a bit of a spanking BUT they never really got going in the second half and we started to play a bit, so whilst I thought we defended really well overall and did a great job of slowing down their ball, England won't play that poorly very often at home, so it's definitely a chance to beat them missed.

My view on the TMO is to always imagine the situation was reversed - I'd be hugely unhappy if that was given against us, so by that token it's fair enough to turn it down.

Swap Ford and Farrell with Patchell and Parkes yesterday and Wales win fairly comfortably imo - they were a different class yesterday.

Scrum and line-out both went well - Rob Evans struggled in his first two scrums against Cole but coped fine after that.

Gareth Davies was really poor for me - passes too high to Patchell when he needed to kick on many occasions, and some shit low passes that caused knock ons etc. I'd be really keen to see Aled get a go out in Dublin. Ken Owens was good, AWJ was excellent at slowing ball, as was Navidi. Cory Hill continues to quietly impress, Shingler was good again (although f**king hang on to the ball DON'T kick it...), Moriarty was quiet. Faletau and Warbers would have made a real difference in that type of game.

Patchell was unlucky really in terms of how the game played out - having a proper second 5/8 like Owen Williams probably would have been a better option ask you can then have a real go at getting around the England blitz from 13 onwards. Parkes was fine to be fair to him.

Surely that's because Wales get 3 points and also get the ball back straight after so we can go for a try. If Wales had kicked to the corner there was no guarantee that they'd get the try and could have come away with no points and it could take 3 or 4 minutes to get that try anyway leaving little time for the other score that Wales would need.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 11, 2018 9:04 pm 

Paul_ wrote:

I don't think teams play poorly against us by accident. We make them play poorly. Owens, Navidi, Shingler and AWJ in particular did mammoth work in slowing down the ball. I note the English whinging that we were constantly on the ball at ruck time...that's part of the game! Competition for the ball is what you are supposed to do. It's their job to move us, and in so doing we slow down the ball.

Our problem is the same as we always have, and that's a lack of World Class carriers. I said in my ratings thread that I'd be wary of anointing Anscombe. I'm convinced had we started with Anscombe, and then Patchell had the last 20, we'd have seen the exact same game. patchell had to play on the back foot the entire time he was on, and very few look good playing like that.

I think ultimately, our kicking game was desperately poor, and that is what cos us the game. However, it ought to be noted that we went to Twickenham, shorn of 11 first team players, and still got within a gnats pube of beating England. I reckon even the Kiwis would struggle under similar conditions, and the vast majority would lose by a lot more.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 11, 2018 9:22 pm 

The only one thing that frustrated me massively, and would have probably had Edwards' forehead veins bulging, was the rush defence at times. I counted 5-6 occasions when a Welsh back would spike out of the umbrella towards the ballcarrier, and get beaten. If they were just pushing the player back inside, I wouldn't have so many qualms - but often they were leaving a huge gap and/or getting beaten outside. Adams was guilty on a couple of occasions.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 11, 2018 9:25 pm 

Da iawn diolch wrote:
The only one thing that frustrated me massively, and would have probably had Edwards' forehead veins bulging, was the rush defence at times. I counted 5-6 occasions when a Welsh back would spike out of the umbrella towards the ballcarrier, and get beaten. If they were just pushing the player back inside, I wouldn't have so many qualms - but often they were leaving a huge gap and/or getting beaten outside. Adams was guilty on a couple of occasions.

That gets better with familiarity with the system.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 11, 2018 10:31 pm 

bessantj wrote:
Paul_ wrote:

Surely that's because Wales get 3 points and also get the ball back straight after so we can go for a try. If Wales had kicked to the corner there was no guarantee that they'd get the try and could have come away with no points and it could take 3 or 4 minutes to get that try anyway leaving little time for the other score that Wales would need.

This & it guaranteed us a losing bonus point

PostPosted: Sun Feb 11, 2018 10:35 pm 

I wouldn't change much for the Ireland game - Anscome to 10, Halfpenny at FB (for the aerial battle) one of North or L Williams instead of Josh Adams. Pack stays the same.

Thought Gareth Davies was terrible- but he can't play that poorly again surely

PostPosted: Sun Feb 11, 2018 10:47 pm 

P in VG wrote:
I wouldn't change much for the Ireland game - Anscome to 10, Halfpenny at FB (for the aerial battle) one of North or L Williams instead of Josh Adams. Pack stays the same.

Thought Gareth Davies was terrible- but he can't play that poorly again surely

I think Davies' performance will be good for Wales in the long run. It'll give him a rocket up his arse and let him know that every game isn't a Scarlets inspired BaaBaa fest...and ultimately it'll ussure in the thinking that Tomos Williams is worth a shot sooner rather than later.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 11, 2018 11:32 pm 

We're absolutely desperate for a new scrum half now that Webb is out. Gareth Davies is never going to be anything more than a backup 9, he's this generations Richie Rees. Wales have always had an obvious successor to the 9 shirt for as long as I've been watching rugby. Howley gave way to Peel who gave way to Mike Phillips who was replaced by Rhys Webb. Now Webb's gone it's not that clear who's next in line.

Davies is a great rugby player no doubt and he'll continue making and scoring wonderful tries for us but I don't think his passing is good enough for a test 9.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 11, 2018 11:39 pm 

New guy wrote:
We're absolutely desperate for a new scrum half now that Webb is out. Gareth Davies is never going to be anything more than a backup 9, he's this generations Richie Rees. Wales have always had an obvious successor to the 9 shirt for as long as I've been watching rugby. Howley gave way to Peel who gave way to Mike Phillips who was replaced by Rhys Webb. Now Webb's gone it's not that clear who's next in line.

Davies is a great rugby player no doubt and he'll continue making and scoring wonderful tries for us but I don't think his passing is good enough for a test 9.

Correct. But given this performance, I think the WRU under Gat's direction will find a way to include Webb for RWC2019.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 11409 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 247, 248, 249, 250, 251, 252, 253 ... 286  Next