Chat Forum
It is currently Wed Sep 26, 2018 5:38 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 11662 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 251, 252, 253, 254, 255, 256, 257 ... 292  Next
PostPosted: Tue Feb 20, 2018 1:40 pm 

I think the inclusion of Biggar and Pence is to nullify the expected aerial bombardment from the Irish. It was our weakness against the Saes and cost us the game.IMHO..

PostPosted: Tue Feb 20, 2018 1:48 pm 

I just hope this doesn't mean we're reverting to type as we've made some progress this year

PostPosted: Tue Feb 20, 2018 2:15 pm 

GWO2 wrote:
I think the inclusion of Biggar and Pence is to nullify the expected aerial bombardment from the Irish. It was our weakness against the Saes and cost us the game.IMHO..

This would make sense if Halfpeey was actually any cop in the air, but he’s not. Too tentative - we’d be much better served with Liam at 15.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 20, 2018 2:17 pm 

Gareth owes us a big performance

PostPosted: Tue Feb 20, 2018 2:35 pm 

cubby boi wrote:
GWO2 wrote:

This would make sense if Halfpeey was actually any cop in the air, but he’s not. Too tentative - we’d be much better served with Liam at 15.

Yes, the more I think about the team, the sadder I get. The #10 and #15 are wrng for the game we want to play. We cannnot beat NZ or Oz playing this way. No chance. Ok, it may be good for Ire, but we have to think beyond that. Gats has nailed Biggar on for the RWC. In fairness, maybe Patch ad Anscombe can't do the job at the top level that we desire, but Priestland .... (I know he is injured).

PostPosted: Tue Feb 20, 2018 2:41 pm 

LandOTurk wrote:
cubby boi wrote:
GWO2 wrote:

Yes, the more I think about the team, the sadder I get. The #10 and #15 are wrng for the game we want to play. We cannnot beat NZ or Oz playing this way. No chance. Ok, it may be good for Ire, but we have to think beyond that. Gats has nailed Biggar on for the RWC. In fairness, maybe Patch ad Anscombe can't do the job at the top level that we desire, but Priestland .... (I know he is injured).

That's the whole point - it's a must win game...

PostPosted: Tue Feb 20, 2018 2:52 pm 

I'm actually pretty OK with the selection changes, to be honest. Halfers is more solid defensively (positioning and catching) than our other 15 options, Liam was unreal for Sarries at the weekend, and Biggar is the better 10 for the game.
The reason I'm fine with Patch being dropped is that the Irish defence have the potential to do exactly the same thing to him as the English did - and that is to get up hard, fast and consistently in his face. Scotland was an armchair ride for him, which meant he had the luxury of playing his lovely, flat, varied game.

Ireland are going to kick the bloody grip off the ball on Saturday, so we need a team that is good in the air (Halfers better than Anscombe, Biggar miles ahead of Patch), and good with the boot in return (Biggar in another league to Patch).

As much as I'd love the free-flowing game that we had against the Scotch to return, I just don't think it's likely for the same reasons we didn't see it against England.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 20, 2018 9:19 pm 

Whateve happened to Graham Thomas on BBC Wales. Remember calling Gibbs a rat

https://www.google.com/search?q=graham+ ... RJdyu7is5M:

PostPosted: Tue Feb 20, 2018 9:36 pm 

LandOTurk wrote:
Whateve happened to Graham Thomas on BBC Wales. Remember calling Gibbs a rat

https://www.google.com/search?q=graham+ ... RJdyu7is5M:

I always wonder the same. I think a certain player and Wales coach refused to have him in the same room as them at one point and he was relocated

Think it all began when he wrote Hensons autobiog

PostPosted: Tue Feb 20, 2018 10:09 pm 

Da iawn diolch wrote:
I'm actually pretty OK with the selection changes, to be honest. Halfers is more solid defensively (positioning and catching) than our other 15 options, Liam was unreal for Sarries at the weekend, and Biggar is the better 10 for the game.
The reason I'm fine with Patch being dropped is that the Irish defence have the potential to do exactly the same thing to him as the English did - and that is to get up hard, fast and consistently in his face. Scotland was an armchair ride for him, which meant he had the luxury of playing his lovely, flat, varied game.

Ireland are going to kick the bloody grip off the ball on Saturday, so we need a team that is good in the air (Halfers better than Anscombe, Biggar miles ahead of Patch), and good with the boot in return (Biggar in another league to Patch).

As much as I'd love the free-flowing game that we had against the Scotch to return, I just don't think it's likely for the same reasons we didn't see it against England.

Exactly. It's worth noting that we have only lost to Ireland once in the last 5 fixtures, and that's because they play the same way every single game...and we have tactics that are able to nullify that one way. We'd be mad to change that given that it's proven to work time and again.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 21, 2018 10:41 am 

It's been proven to work against Ireland, and against no one else in the top tier. I understand the argument - winning is a great habit, but it feels like, after some positive signs of attacking intent, Gatland is going for the safety blanket. It may pay off, and if the forwards keep handling as they have done, and we show attacking threat from the likes of Steff Evans and Liam, then perhaps we won't notice that the 10 is no attacking threat.

In my opinion we should have stuck with Patchell - backed him after a tough day - and look to see if he can grow into the 10 shirt. He may never be the tactician that Biggar is, but the upside he brings if he can become a better controller of a game is worth the investment I think. It's worth remembering that a mediocre performance, away against England, with his team on the back foot, was only his 2nd start at 10. Hardly deserving of dropping out of the squad IMO.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 21, 2018 11:00 am 

I wonder if Gatland's keeping Anscombe on the bench as some sort of tactic, see how well Biggar is doing with a more 'traditional' Gatland game plan then maybe swap in Anscombe for a different type of game. I hope he brings back Patchell at some point though, had a terrible game v England but deserves a second chance.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 21, 2018 11:03 am 

Unrelated to the game this weekend - Henson and Tyler Morgan (again) broken. I feel like Tyler needs a long period out of the game after injury - just seems like he breaks every game at this point, and he's in danger of going the Eli Walker route where he can't play for long enough to ever get going.

Wales under 18s have a player called Carwyn Tuipulotu - plays for Newcastle but Wales Online suggesting he is going to the Scarlets academy at the end of the year. Sounds like an interesting prospect...and great name.

Jim Mallinder being touted for the Blues job - not sure what to make of that. Northampton played a pretty poor brand of rugby, but before the dire last couple of seasons they did win things...money over coaching talent? Difficult to know whether this is a good move, but my heart sank a little when I read the headline.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 21, 2018 11:20 am 

bessantj wrote:
I wonder if Gatland's keeping Anscombe on the bench as some sort of tactic, see how well Biggar is doing with a more 'traditional' Gatland game plan then maybe swap in Anscombe for a different type of game. I hope he brings back Patchell at some point though, had a terrible game v England but deserves a second chance.

There may be an element of truth in that. Patch and Anscombe both offer the same 10/15 cover flexibility, so you'd have to assume that Anscombe's inclusion is on merit of what he has potential to do. We actually don't know how good this Ireland team is - they played in a mediocre game in the rain in Paris, and almost conceded 4 tries to Italy after taking their foot off the gas.

While I don't think we should read too much into how he played against an England team which had already played 55 very hard minutes, he certainly seemed to cope with the press defence better than Patch. It would be nice to think we could see him and North being introduced as impact subs around the 50-55min mark. In truth, this (impact of subs) is probably one area where we have a real advantage over the Irish.
Part-fit Carbery and one-test (against Italy!) Larmour are great prospects, but I've not seen anything from them that shows they could turn a tight international-level match. Swapping 1/2p and Biggar for North and Anscombe (with Liam to 15) brings a totally different shape to our game, and lets us maintain tempo against a tiring Ireland.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 21, 2018 11:45 am 

The France/Ireland game wasn't good but I thought it was a very good result for the Irish, they did what they needed to do and ground out a win away from home in terrible conditions. I'd be happy if Wales had won that game.

After getting eight tries against Italy the Irish will no doubt be in a very positive mood, impact subs could be a huge deal.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 21, 2018 11:54 am 

bessantj wrote:
The France/Ireland game wasn't good but I thought it was a very good result for the Irish, they did what they needed to do and ground out a win away from home in terrible conditions. I'd be happy if Wales had won that game.

After getting eight tries against Italy the Irish will no doubt be in a very positive mood, impact subs could be a huge deal.

The France-Ireland game was gash. Ireland had 70% possession and created zero clean breaks. I'd be suicidal if the Welsh played like that, irrespective of the conditions...

PostPosted: Wed Feb 21, 2018 12:09 pm 

Da iawn diolch wrote:
bessantj wrote:

The France-Ireland game was gash. Ireland had 70% possession and created zero clean breaks. I'd be suicidal if the Welsh played like that, irrespective of the conditions...

But Ireland came away with the win and the points and lets be fair if it wasn't for a bit of magic from Teddy Thomas no way would the game be as close.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 21, 2018 12:44 pm 

bessantj wrote:
Da iawn diolch wrote:
bessantj wrote:

But Ireland came away with the win and the points and lets be fair if it wasn't for a bit of magic from Teddy Thomas no way would the game be as close.

They struggled to a win and never really looked like scoring a try against the 10th ranked team in the world, who are in one of their worst form periods in recent history.
That's great if you're pleased with that, but I'd be very disappointed, based on what I've seen so far, if Wales didn't run out fairly comfortable winners against France.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 21, 2018 12:49 pm 

Da iawn diolch wrote:
bessantj wrote:
Da iawn diolch wrote:
bessantj wrote:

They struggled to a win and never really looked like scoring a try against the 10th ranked team in the world, who are in one of their worst form periods in recent history.
That's great if you're pleased with that, but I'd be very disappointed, based on what I've seen so far, if Wales didn't run out fairly comfortable winners against France.

I'm confident of Wales chances against France this year, I wasn't so confident last year but I feel as confident as I did in 2014/15/16. Wales definitely have what they need to beat them and hopefully more players will return by then.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 21, 2018 1:48 pm 

bessantj wrote:
Da iawn diolch wrote:
bessantj wrote:
Da iawn diolch wrote:
bessantj wrote:

I'm confident of Wales chances against France this year, I wasn't so confident last year but I feel as confident as I did in 2014/15/16. Wales definitely have what they need to beat them and hopefully more players will return by then.

I am hoping we beat the French by a score where we cheated or the ref made a terrible decision, a la Mike Phillips non lineout try versus the Irish. It'll make up for last year.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 21, 2018 1:49 pm 

LandOTurk wrote:
bessantj wrote:
Da iawn diolch wrote:
bessantj wrote:
Da iawn diolch wrote:

I am hoping we beat the French by a score where we cheated or the ref made a terrible decision, a la Mike Phillips non lineout try versus the Irish. It'll make up for last year.

YOu won't need to cheat :lol:

PostPosted: Wed Feb 21, 2018 1:56 pm 

Da iawn diolch wrote:
bessantj wrote:
Da iawn diolch wrote:
bessantj wrote:

There's no such thing as a disappointing away win in the Six Nations (unless it's Italy). It's bloody difficult to win on the road in this competition and as comically shit as France have been for the past 5 years their record in Paris in the six nations has still been ok.

Having said that I do agree that Ireland weren't particularly impressive in that game and hammering Italy is no longer proof of anything. I think they're an unknown quantity, but I always felt we had a much better chance of winning this one than beating England.

It'll be very tight either way

PostPosted: Wed Feb 21, 2018 2:40 pm 

For all this justification of why anscombe was immeasurably better than patch, when was the last time an English defence folded in the last 30? he was much better, because he is much better. Hell had anscombe knocked the ball into Farrells hands after leaving the backfield unattended he would've been derided. Jones was right.
RE biggar, if it ain't broke, don't fix it. He's the best in the world at beating Ireland so you can't change him. Honestly I think a biggar/anscombe pair is the best we have, both make few mistakes, both good controllers, both are very strong at what they do.

For anyone who understands how rugby is played, watch how parkes will struggle this game, with the rush and biggar at 10...
1/2p continued selection shows the underlying drive to not lose, rather than to win

PostPosted: Wed Feb 21, 2018 2:42 pm 

LandOTurk wrote:

Dodgy try victories are the best victories.

Theflier wrote:
For all this justification of why anscombe was immeasurably better than patch, when was the last time an English defence folded in the last 30?

Cardiff 2013?

PostPosted: Wed Feb 21, 2018 3:16 pm 

New guy wrote:
Da iawn diolch wrote:
bessantj wrote:
Da iawn diolch wrote:
bessantj wrote:

as comically shit as France have been for the past 5 years their record in Paris in the six nations has still been ok.

Has it? What's their home win % over the past 3-4 seasons? How does that compare with the other 5 teams?

PostPosted: Wed Feb 21, 2018 3:20 pm 

Da iawn diolch wrote:
Has it? What's their home win % over the past 3-4 seasons? How does that compare with the other 5 teams?

IN the 6N:
France - 66%
Wales - 75%
Scotland - 46%
Ireland - 75%
Italy - 15%
England - 100%

PostPosted: Wed Feb 21, 2018 3:26 pm 

bessantj wrote:
Da iawn diolch wrote:

IN the 6N:
France - 66%
Wales - 75%
Scotland - 46%
Ireland - 75%
Italy - 15%
England - 100%

That's impressively quick! Did you get that from Scrum @ESPN?
France is poor, but not as bad as I thought.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 21, 2018 3:27 pm 

Theflier wrote:
For all this justification of why anscombe was immeasurably better than patch, when was the last time an English defence folded in the last 30? he was much better, because he is much better. Hell had anscombe knocked the ball into Farrells hands after leaving the backfield unattended he would've been derided. Jones was right.
RE biggar, if it ain't broke, don't fix it. He's the best in the world at beating Ireland so you can't change him. Honestly I think a biggar/anscombe pair is the best we have, both make few mistakes, both good controllers, both are very strong at what they do.

For anyone who understands how rugby is played, watch how parkes will struggle this game, with the rush and biggar at 10...
1/2p continued selection shows the underlying drive to not lose, rather than to win

You and I don't agree on much, but I'm with you on this. Biggar is a fantastic player in so many ways but if your 10 doesn't threaten the line, not necessarily making clean breaks all the time but just enough to keep them honest, then so much more pressure comes on the 12.

We just have to hope we create quick enough ball that it's not a major issue.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 21, 2018 3:30 pm 

Da iawn diolch wrote:
bessantj wrote:
Da iawn diolch wrote:

IN the 6N:
France - 66%
Wales - 75%
Scotland - 46%
Ireland - 75%
Italy - 15%
England - 100%

Got it all from the very excellent Pick & Go.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 21, 2018 4:38 pm 

Was this a lucky miss or have we missed out

Ospreys approach former England coach Stuart Lancaster

https://www.walesonline.co.uk/sport/rug ... h-14317999

JUST SEEN THREAD BELOW. :blush:

PostPosted: Wed Feb 21, 2018 4:44 pm 

I think he might have been a good fit for the Ospreys, and if it was a choice between him and Mallinder, I would want Lancaster.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 21, 2018 4:54 pm 

penguin wrote:
I think he might have been a good fit for the Ospreys, and if it was a choice between him and Mallinder, I would want Lancaster.

Agreed. Mallinder is out of date and I'm not sure he is the progressive type like Eddie Jones to keep learning more and evolving his understanding, style and tactics.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 21, 2018 5:06 pm 

eldanielfire wrote:
penguin wrote:

Agreed. Mallinder is out of date and I'm not sure he is the progressive type like Eddie Jones to keep learning more and evolving his understanding, style and tactics.

I wouldn't mind Mallinder coming to the Blues - could be good for both parties. Certainly better than a few of their recent coaching appointments (Danny Wilson excluded).
A lot of Northampton fans lay the blame at Dorian West's door for their decline (their forwards have certaily gone to shit) although Mallinder had probarbly been there too long as well.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 21, 2018 6:12 pm 

Da iawn diolch wrote:
bessantj wrote:
Da iawn diolch wrote:

IN the 6N:
France - 66%
Wales - 75%
Scotland - 46%
Ireland - 75%
Italy - 15%
England - 100%

66% is winning 3/5 games at home. So they beat Italy and Scotland every time, and win 1 out of 3 from England, Wales and Ireland. At home that is not great is it.

Edit: I know 3/5 is 60%, just being general. :x

PostPosted: Wed Feb 21, 2018 8:51 pm 

The scare being the backs coach, apparently anscombe and lee-lo coach our attack, it doesnt need changing, it's a kick in the teeth in that we brought boyd over here and Northampton came out with the ruler so we get mallinder...

*saints attack coach has left

PostPosted: Wed Feb 21, 2018 11:33 pm 

TheFlier is a Bloos supporter then? explains why he's such a massive bender. It all makes sense now.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 22, 2018 9:05 am 

Not Frankie wrote:
TheFlier is a Bloos supporter then? explains why he's such a massive bender. It all makes sense now.

Standard welshman here, tribal in his thoughts, idiotic in his logic. Well done, champ.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 22, 2018 9:05 am 

Not Frankie wrote:

Now now my Dragons friend, there's no need for that

PostPosted: Thu Feb 22, 2018 10:14 am 

Quote:
Wales u20 team for Ireland

Wales U20 team: Cai Evans (Ospreys); Joe Goodchild (Dragons), Callum Carson (Ospreys), Max Llewellyn (Blues), Tommy Rogers (Scarlets); Ben Jones (Blues), Harri Morgan (Ospreys); Josh Reynolds (Dragons), Iestyn Harris (Blues), Rhys Henry (Ospreys), Owen Lloyd (Blues), Max Williams (Dragons), Tommy Reffell (Leicester capt), James Botham (Blues), Taine Basham (Dragons)

Replacements: Rhys Carre (Blues), Dewi Lake (Ospreys), Kemsley Mathias (Scarlets), Jack Pope (Bridgend), Morgan Morris (Ospreys), Dan Babos (Dragons), Ben Thomas (Blues), Dafydd Smith (Blues).

Quite interested to see Max Llewellyn, son of Gareth, at centre...6'4, quick, talked up in wales online this week.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 22, 2018 10:30 am 

penguin wrote:
Quote:
Wales u20 team for Ireland

Wales U20 team: Cai Evans (Ospreys); Joe Goodchild (Dragons), Callum Carson (Ospreys), Max Llewellyn (Blues), Tommy Rogers (Scarlets); Ben Jones (Blues), Harri Morgan (Ospreys); Josh Reynolds (Dragons), Iestyn Harris (Blues), Rhys Henry (Ospreys), Owen Lloyd (Blues), Max Williams (Dragons), Tommy Reffell (Leicester capt), James Botham (Blues), Taine Basham (Dragons)

Replacements: Rhys Carre (Blues), Dewi Lake (Ospreys), Kemsley Mathias (Scarlets), Jack Pope (Bridgend), Morgan Morris (Ospreys), Dan Babos (Dragons), Ben Thomas (Blues), Dafydd Smith (Blues).

Quite interested to see Max Llewellyn, son of Gareth, at centre...6'4, quick, talked up in wales online this week.

Any idea on the quality of Iestyn Harris?

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 11662 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 251, 252, 253, 254, 255, 256, 257 ... 292  Next