Chat Forum
It is currently Fri May 25, 2018 5:42 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 10798 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 265, 266, 267, 268, 269, 270  Next
Author Message
PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2018 2:04 pm 
Offline

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 6269
Yeah, he really is unlucky, but it's a good sign of depth when you can complain about who is not making the squad even when a few 1st choice players are rested. (Not as much to complain about in that regard among the props, or centres).


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2018 6:39 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Thu Jun 11, 2015 1:25 pm
Posts: 4465
Location: Leafy Cheshire
No Lane and Jarrod. Oh well we'll just have to win on Friday to console ourselves


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2018 8:09 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 8770
Frodder wrote:
No Lane and Jarrod. Oh well we'll just have to win on Friday to console ourselves


I guess, but when you think of our depth in order:

FH pecking order: Biggar, Anscombe, Patchell, Priestland, Sam Davies, Jarrod, Dinky
Wing pecking order: North, Liam, Steff, Amos, Adams, Prydie, Lane, Giles, Allen, Hewitt and Cuthbert??. And HP if needed in there too.

Also both Patch and Anscombe have played little for Wales. If Biggar goes down he wants a solid replacement in what he considers the most important position on the field. Giving both FHs valuable test match experience over 3 tough games. Gats has deemed this more important than giving wonder tyro an opportunity in his first full pro season.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2018 10:03 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 27337
LandOTurk wrote:
Frodder wrote:
No Lane and Jarrod. Oh well we'll just have to win on Friday to console ourselves


I guess, but when you think of our depth in order:

FH pecking order: Biggar, Anscombe, Patchell, Priestland, Sam Davies, Jarrod, Dinky
Wing pecking order: North, Liam, Steff, Amos, Adams, Prydie, Lane, Giles, Allen, Hewitt and Cuthbert??. And HP if needed in there too.

Also both Patch and Anscombe have played little for Wales. If Biggar goes down he wants a solid replacement in what he considers the most important position on the field. Giving both FHs valuable test match experience over 3 tough games. Gats has deemed this more important than giving wonder tyro an opportunity in his first full pro season.


It's probably worth noting that Jarrod Evans has been military medium for most of the season. It's only been the least couple of months he's kicked on. I imagine Gatland thinks he needs to back up this seasons form with next seasons before he gets a stab at the Welsh jersey.

Having said that, Anscombe is a proper sicknote, so there's a good chance we'll see Evans (or maybe Owen Williams) get called up.

Forgot about lane when I posted on this earlier. Definitely deserves a squad place over Prydie. He actually has been consistently good all season.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2018 10:21 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 8770
Jeff the Bear wrote:
LandOTurk wrote:
Frodder wrote:
No Lane and Jarrod. Oh well we'll just have to win on Friday to console ourselves


I guess, but when you think of our depth in order:

FH pecking order: Biggar, Anscombe, Patchell, Priestland, Sam Davies, Jarrod, Dinky
Wing pecking order: North, Liam, Steff, Amos, Adams, Prydie, Lane, Giles, Allen, Hewitt and Cuthbert??. And HP if needed in there too.

Also both Patch and Anscombe have played little for Wales. If Biggar goes down he wants a solid replacement in what he considers the most important position on the field. Giving both FHs valuable test match experience over 3 tough games. Gats has deemed this more important than giving wonder tyro an opportunity in his first full pro season.


It's probably worth noting that Jarrod Evans has been military medium for most of the season. It's only been the least couple of months he's kicked on. I imagine Gatland thinks he needs to back up this seasons form with next seasons before he gets a stab at the Welsh jersey.

Having said that, Anscombe is a proper sicknote, so there's a good chance we'll see Evans (or maybe Owen Williams) get called up.

Forgot about lane when I posted on this earlier. Definitely deserves a squad place over Prydie. He actually has been consistently good all season.


I forgot about Owen Williams, but I think Gats sees him only as a #12. If he were a #10, then probably placed behind Priestland IMHO.

Re Lane, he has been unlucky, but two things: Prydie can play FB too, plus Lane is 6'1" and Prydie is 6'4". Gats loves his big men.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2018 10:43 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sun Mar 19, 2017 1:55 am
Posts: 2901
Location: Newport, Gwent
I'm also surprised that Evans is not in the side. These are my thoughts.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2018 12:31 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 8770
bessantj wrote:
I'm also surprised that Evans is not in the side. These are my thoughts.


Who? I think you are having a wheeze with Welsh surnames.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2018 3:12 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 8770
“We spoke about Jarrod ..... In Wales we have a small player base and, if a player has a good season, there is a call for him to be brought into the national team straight away. “I can understand that but it is about consistency for not just one season but for two or three.That is what we will be looking at from Jarrod for next season to step up .....”. said Gatland.

Unless you are Sam Cross. If you are Sam Cross then you just need to play one pro game.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2018 6:54 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Thu Jun 11, 2015 1:25 pm
Posts: 4465
Location: Leafy Cheshire
LandOTurk wrote:
“We spoke about Jarrod ..... In Wales we have a small player base and, if a player has a good season, there is a call for him to be brought into the national team straight away. “I can understand that but it is about consistency for not just one season but for two or three.That is what we will be looking at from Jarrod for next season to step up .....”. said Gatland.

Unless you are Sam Cross. If you are Sam Cross then you just need to play one pro game.


Damn straight.....I also see Preistland in the pecking order. He could have been excellent but he's as flaky as 99 cone now


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2018 8:05 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sat Oct 22, 2016 9:10 pm
Posts: 2459
Please. Never again with Priestland. He had his time.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2018 9:01 am 
Offline

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 6269
LandOTurk wrote:
“We spoke about Jarrod ..... In Wales we have a small player base and, if a player has a good season, there is a call for him to be brought into the national team straight away. “I can understand that but it is about consistency for not just one season but for two or three.That is what we will be looking at from Jarrod for next season to step up .....”. said Gatland.

Unless you are Sam Cross. If you are Sam Cross then you just need to play one pro game.


Yeah, I saw that and thought the same thing - making up rules for why you didn't pick him.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2018 9:07 am 
Offline

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 6269
Jeff the Bear wrote:

It's probably worth noting that Jarrod Evans has been military medium for most of the season. It's only been the least couple of months he's kicked on. I imagine Gatland thinks he needs to back up this seasons form with next seasons before he gets a stab at the Welsh jersey.

Having said that, Anscombe is a proper sicknote, so there's a good chance we'll see Evans (or maybe Owen Williams) get called up.

Forgot about lane when I posted on this earlier. Definitely deserves a squad place over Prydie. He actually has been consistently good all season.


It's a bit chicken and egg this, but the Blues were not playing great earlier in the season, so Evans was not as good. Now they are ticking along nicely, and Evans is at the heart of that. It's just the simple fact that 10s look better when the pack is working. It's why Sam Davies was 'out of form' as the Ospreys pack forgot how to give the backs a platform in the last year.

(Biggar is the only 10 we have in Wales who is 'better' on the back foot than front foot, all the others have better offensive games than defensive, which is why Gatland doesn't trust them).


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2018 12:03 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sun Mar 19, 2017 1:55 am
Posts: 2901
Location: Newport, Gwent
LandOTurk wrote:
bessantj wrote:
I'm also surprised that Evans is not in the side. These are my thoughts.


Who? I think you are having a wheeze with Welsh surnames.

Evans above you know I'm talking about Jarrod.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2018 12:12 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 8770
bessantj wrote:
LandOTurk wrote:
bessantj wrote:
I'm also surprised that Evans is not in the side. These are my thoughts.


Who? I think you are having a wheeze with Welsh surnames.

Evans above you know I'm talking about Jarrod.


Oh, ok


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2018 1:00 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Thu Jun 11, 2015 1:25 pm
Posts: 4465
Location: Leafy Cheshire
penguin wrote:
Jeff the Bear wrote:

It's probably worth noting that Jarrod Evans has been military medium for most of the season. It's only been the least couple of months he's kicked on. I imagine Gatland thinks he needs to back up this seasons form with next seasons before he gets a stab at the Welsh jersey.

Having said that, Anscombe is a proper sicknote, so there's a good chance we'll see Evans (or maybe Owen Williams) get called up.

Forgot about lane when I posted on this earlier. Definitely deserves a squad place over Prydie. He actually has been consistently good all season.


It's a bit chicken and egg this, but the Blues were not playing great earlier in the season, so Evans was not as good. Now they are ticking along nicely, and Evans is at the heart of that. It's just the simple fact that 10s look better when the pack is working. It's why Sam Davies was 'out of form' as the Ospreys pack forgot how to give the backs a platform in the last year.

(Biggar is the only 10 we have in Wales who is 'better' on the back foot than front foot, all the others have better offensive games than defensive, which is why Gatland doesn't trust them).


It's Jeff saying he was a regional plodder then excellent, now using the term 'military medium' again. He was defo worth taking as the Patch and Anscombe cover 15. It's a totally lost opportunity.

Also Lane is a centre by trade and we've got very few options there


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2018 1:56 pm 
Offline

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 6269
Frodder wrote:
It's Jeff saying he was a regional plodder then excellent, now using the term 'military medium' again. He was defo worth taking as the Patch and Anscombe cover 15. It's a totally lost opportunity.

Also Lane is a centre by trade and we've got very few options there


I know they are talking about switching North to 13, but Lane is a centre as you say, and has both the physicality and pace to play there...does he have a better passing game than North? I would suspect he does.

In other news, Nansen has signed for the Dragons - one cap Samoan international lock. No idea how good he is but certainly a signing in the right position.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2018 2:01 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sun Mar 19, 2017 1:55 am
Posts: 2901
Location: Newport, Gwent
penguin wrote:
In other news, Nansen has signed for the Dragons - one cap Samoan international lock. No idea how good he is but certainly a signing in the right position.

For a second I thought you meant Norwegian explorer Fridtjof Nansen and was quite excited by the prospect even if he did die nearly ninety years ago. Another lock is a good signing.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2018 2:09 pm 
Offline

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 6269
bessantj wrote:
penguin wrote:
In other news, Nansen has signed for the Dragons - one cap Samoan international lock. No idea how good he is but certainly a signing in the right position.

For a second I thought you meant Norwegian explorer Fridtjof Nansen and was quite excited by the prospect even if he did die nearly ninety years ago. Another lock is a good signing.


I mean there were a lot of rumblings about a top class explorer being signed - the other Nansen, Shackleton, Scott, Amundsen...but in the end the Dragons could only manage a guy who has never been to the arctic. Poor signing once again.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2018 2:27 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sun Mar 19, 2017 1:55 am
Posts: 2901
Location: Newport, Gwent
penguin wrote:
bessantj wrote:
penguin wrote:
In other news, Nansen has signed for the Dragons - one cap Samoan international lock. No idea how good he is but certainly a signing in the right position.

For a second I thought you meant Norwegian explorer Fridtjof Nansen and was quite excited by the prospect even if he did die nearly ninety years ago. Another lock is a good signing.


I mean there were a lot of rumblings about a top class explorer being signed - the other Nansen, Shackleton, Scott, Amundsen...but in the end the Dragons could only manage a guy who has never been to the arctic. Poor signing once again.

I dunno there's been some fùcking cold days at the Parade. I think one of the Irish fellas said the coldest he's ever been at a rugby match was watching one at Rodney. Though to be fair I think the Dragons could do with an explorer type (get Richard Parks back.) because they can never find the tryline.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2018 2:33 pm 
Offline

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 6269
bessantj wrote:
penguin wrote:
bessantj wrote:
penguin wrote:
In other news, Nansen has signed for the Dragons - one cap Samoan international lock. No idea how good he is but certainly a signing in the right position.

For a second I thought you meant Norwegian explorer Fridtjof Nansen and was quite excited by the prospect even if he did die nearly ninety years ago. Another lock is a good signing.


I mean there were a lot of rumblings about a top class explorer being signed - the other Nansen, Shackleton, Scott, Amundsen...but in the end the Dragons could only manage a guy who has never been to the arctic. Poor signing once again.

I dunno there's been some fùcking cold days at the Parade. I think one of the Irish fellas said the coldest he's ever been at a rugby match was watching one at Rodney. Though to be fair I think the Dragons could do with an explorer type (get Richard Parks back.) because they can never find the tryline.


How could I miss a Richard Parks reference in that context? FFS.

Yeah. I only live in Monmouth, but 20 minutes up the road and it's different weather (we can afford the good stuff up here).


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2018 2:50 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sun Mar 19, 2017 1:55 am
Posts: 2901
Location: Newport, Gwent
penguin wrote:
Yeah. I only live in Monmouth, but 20 minutes up the road and it's different weather (we can afford the good stuff up here).

I once helped build some houses in Monmouth it is a very nice area.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2018 2:54 pm 
Offline

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 6269
bessantj wrote:
penguin wrote:
Yeah. I only live in Monmouth, but 20 minutes up the road and it's different weather (we can afford the good stuff up here).

I once helped build some houses in Monmouth it is a very nice area.


It is. Especially when we have a weekend like the last one - eating and drinking down by the Wye is very pleasant.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2018 8:47 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Thu Jun 11, 2015 1:25 pm
Posts: 4465
Location: Leafy Cheshire
penguin wrote:
bessantj wrote:
penguin wrote:
Yeah. I only live in Monmouth, but 20 minutes up the road and it's different weather (we can afford the good stuff up here).

I once helped build some houses in Monmouth it is a very nice area.


It is. Especially when we have a weekend like the last one - eating and drinking down by the Wye is very pleasant.



Has your Mrs sorted out the traffic issues though?


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2018 9:01 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 27337
I see Navidi has been given Wels Player of the Year award. I couldn't agree more. Was talking to the old man over the weekend about recent and upcoming games, and we both noted that although Shingler seemed to get more praise this season, Navidi has been the more consistent, and the outright better player.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2018 9:03 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 8770
Jeff the Bear wrote:
I see Navidi has been given Wels Player of the Year award. I couldn't agree more. Was talking to the old man over the weekend about recent and upcoming games, and we both noted that although Shingler seemed to get more praise this season, Navidi has been the more consistent, and the outright better player.


Nah.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2018 9:05 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Thu Jun 11, 2015 1:25 pm
Posts: 4465
Location: Leafy Cheshire
LandOTurk wrote:
Jeff the Bear wrote:
I see Navidi has been given Wels Player of the Year award. I couldn't agree more. Was talking to the old man over the weekend about recent and upcoming games, and we both noted that although Shingler seemed to get more praise this season, Navidi has been the more consistent, and the outright better player.


Nah.


Yeah


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2018 9:06 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 27337
LandOTurk wrote:
Jeff the Bear wrote:
I see Navidi has been given Wels Player of the Year award. I couldn't agree more. Was talking to the old man over the weekend about recent and upcoming games, and we both noted that although Shingler seemed to get more praise this season, Navidi has been the more consistent, and the outright better player.


Nah.


:nod:

Shingler, as his is want, went missing for the Leinster game (not the only one mind, but as potentially the best player in Wales this season, and a big unit, he was expected to be at the vanguard of any physical effort the Scarlets would bring). He's certainly got better at not sliding out of a games that don't suit his style, but he's still very much a a front foot player.

Navidi is equally adept when on the both the back and front foot. Was consistently one of their best when the Blues were shit, and is still consistently one of the best now that they are half decent.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2018 9:10 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 8770
Jeff the Bear wrote:
LandOTurk wrote:
Jeff the Bear wrote:
I see Navidi has been given Wels Player of the Year award. I couldn't agree more. Was talking to the old man over the weekend about recent and upcoming games, and we both noted that although Shingler seemed to get more praise this season, Navidi has been the more consistent, and the outright better player.


Nah.


:nod:

Shingler, as his is want, went missing for the Leinster game (not the only one mind, but as potentially the best player in Wales this season, and a big unit, he was expected to be at the vanguard of any physical effort the Scarlets would bring). He's certainly got better at not sliding out of a games that don't suit his style, but he's still very much a a front foot player.

Navidi is equally adept when on the both the back and front foot. Was consistently one of their best when the Blues were shit, and is still consistently one of the best now that they are half decent.


Are you, are you actually accusing me of bias? Fcuking outrageous!!

Image


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2018 8:57 am 
Offline

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 6269
Frodder wrote:
penguin wrote:
bessantj wrote:
penguin wrote:
Yeah. I only live in Monmouth, but 20 minutes up the road and it's different weather (we can afford the good stuff up here).

I once helped build some houses in Monmouth it is a very nice area.


It is. Especially when we have a weekend like the last one - eating and drinking down by the Wye is very pleasant.



Has your Mrs sorted out the traffic issues though?


Not in her power.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2018 9:22 am 
Offline

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 6269
LandOTurk wrote:
Jeff the Bear wrote:
LandOTurk wrote:
Jeff the Bear wrote:
I see Navidi has been given Wels Player of the Year award. I couldn't agree more. Was talking to the old man over the weekend about recent and upcoming games, and we both noted that although Shingler seemed to get more praise this season, Navidi has been the more consistent, and the outright better player.


Nah.


:nod:

Shingler, as his is want, went missing for the Leinster game (not the only one mind, but as potentially the best player in Wales this season, and a big unit, he was expected to be at the vanguard of any physical effort the Scarlets would bring). He's certainly got better at not sliding out of a games that don't suit his style, but he's still very much a a front foot player.

Navidi is equally adept when on the both the back and front foot. Was consistently one of their best when the Blues were shit, and is still consistently one of the best now that they are half decent.


Are you, are you actually accusing me of bias? Fcuking outrageous!!



Shingler has been superb this year, no need to put him down after one bad game against Leinster. His attributes are different to Navidi, and Navidi has been exceptional but Shingler has his own specialisms that add something to the scarlets and wales. He offers a lineout threat that no one else in the welsh backrow offers for example...they each have their points of difference. A great combination together.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2018 10:06 am 
Offline

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 6269
Quote:
Wales U20 squad:
Forwards: Taine Basham (Dragons), Rhys Carre (Cardiff Blues), Chris Coleman (Dragons), Dan Davis (Scarlets), Rhys Davies (Bath Rugby), Rhys Davies (Scarlets), Ben Fry (Dragons), Lennon Greggains (Dragons), Iestyn Harris (Cardiff Blues), Rhys Henry (Ospreys), Dewi Lake (Ospreys), Alun Lawrence (Cardiff Blues), Jack Pope (Bridgend), Tommy Reffell (c) (Leicester Tigers), Josh Reynolds (Dragons), Max Williams (Dragons).

Backs: Corey Baldwin (Scarlets), Dane Blacker (Cardiff Blues), Ryan Conbeer (Scarlets), Dewi Cross (Ospreys), Rio Dyer (Dragons), Cai Evans (Ospreys), Joe Goodchild (Dragons), Ben Jones (Cardiff Blues), Harri Morgan (Ospreys), Ioan Nicholas (Scarlets), Ben Thomas (Cardiff Blues), Tiaan Thomas-Wheeler (Ospreys).


https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/rugby-union/44064962

Some good players in that team. 6 Dragons in the forwards, 2 in the backs...bodes well for the future, or as the Dragons call it the present. Basham, Coleman, Greggains, Reynolds, Max Williams, Dyer and Goodchild all had game time for the Dragons this season. Hopefully the u20s benefit from that.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2018 1:08 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 8770
penguin wrote:
Quote:
Wales U20 squad:
Forwards: Taine Basham (Dragons), Rhys Carre (Cardiff Blues), Chris Coleman (Dragons), Dan Davis (Scarlets), Rhys Davies (Bath Rugby), Rhys Davies (Scarlets), Ben Fry (Dragons), Lennon Greggains (Dragons), Iestyn Harris (Cardiff Blues), Rhys Henry (Ospreys), Dewi Lake (Ospreys), Alun Lawrence (Cardiff Blues), Jack Pope (Bridgend), Tommy Reffell (c) (Leicester Tigers), Josh Reynolds (Dragons), Max Williams (Dragons).

Backs: Corey Baldwin (Scarlets), Dane Blacker (Cardiff Blues), Ryan Conbeer (Scarlets), Dewi Cross (Ospreys), Rio Dyer (Dragons), Cai Evans (Ospreys), Joe Goodchild (Dragons), Ben Jones (Cardiff Blues), Harri Morgan (Ospreys), Ioan Nicholas (Scarlets), Ben Thomas (Cardiff Blues), Tiaan Thomas-Wheeler (Ospreys).


https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/rugby-union/44064962

Some good players in that team. 6 Dragons in the forwards, 2 in the backs...bodes well for the future, or as the Dragons call it the present. Basham, Coleman, Greggains, Reynolds, Max Williams, Dyer and Goodchild all had game time for the Dragons this season. Hopefully the u20s benefit from that.


Good to see. Now the Dragons HAVE to develop these into really good professionals. I really think this is the last chance saloon. If they Dragons are still shit by the end of Jackman's third and final year and don't show progression in these young players, I think time will be called and a proud old rugby club will never be seen again on the professional stage. That would be sad and not good news for Wales. So FFS Dragons get it together!


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2018 1:40 pm 
Offline

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 6269
LandOTurk wrote:
penguin wrote:
Quote:
Wales U20 squad:
Forwards: Taine Basham (Dragons), Rhys Carre (Cardiff Blues), Chris Coleman (Dragons), Dan Davis (Scarlets), Rhys Davies (Bath Rugby), Rhys Davies (Scarlets), Ben Fry (Dragons), Lennon Greggains (Dragons), Iestyn Harris (Cardiff Blues), Rhys Henry (Ospreys), Dewi Lake (Ospreys), Alun Lawrence (Cardiff Blues), Jack Pope (Bridgend), Tommy Reffell (c) (Leicester Tigers), Josh Reynolds (Dragons), Max Williams (Dragons).

Backs: Corey Baldwin (Scarlets), Dane Blacker (Cardiff Blues), Ryan Conbeer (Scarlets), Dewi Cross (Ospreys), Rio Dyer (Dragons), Cai Evans (Ospreys), Joe Goodchild (Dragons), Ben Jones (Cardiff Blues), Harri Morgan (Ospreys), Ioan Nicholas (Scarlets), Ben Thomas (Cardiff Blues), Tiaan Thomas-Wheeler (Ospreys).


https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/rugby-union/44064962

Some good players in that team. 6 Dragons in the forwards, 2 in the backs...bodes well for the future, or as the Dragons call it the present. Basham, Coleman, Greggains, Reynolds, Max Williams, Dyer and Goodchild all had game time for the Dragons this season. Hopefully the u20s benefit from that.


Good to see. Now the Dragons HAVE to develop these into really good professionals. I really think this is the last chance saloon. If they Dragons are still shit by the end of Jackman's third and final year and don't show progression in these young players, I think time will be called and a proud old rugby club will never be seen again on the professional stage. That would be sad and not good news for Wales. So FFS Dragons get it together!


I know people will pooh pooh some of this, but I think the academy has been working pretty well for a while (not well utilised before, now over-utilised), and this season showed that some of the latest crop of youngsters are going to be really good players. Basham at 17 played against the Scarlets away - yes, we got humped but he made top tackles and carries, was very impressive, astonishing at that age. Max Williams played a number of times and didn't look at all out of place at regional level. Big, physical and some nice touches ball in hand. Dyer is electrically quick - good on debut but didn't get too many other chances after a bright start. Only little glimpses of Reynolds, Coleman, Greggains and Goodchild but add those guys to the bunch of 20 year olds, like Rosser and Robson, and a lot of the high points of the season were from them.

Blend some of those with the more experienced players coming in and I think they'll shine. The Dragons have been poor in part because we've gone from experienced but lower quality players to potentially high quality but low experience without much blending of the two. Jackman is still an unknown quantity to a large extent, but I reckon a good coach can turn these youngsters into a proper team, with the right experience around them. We won't suddenly be the scarlets but I think we'll be a much tougher team to beat.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2018 1:55 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Thu Jun 11, 2015 1:25 pm
Posts: 4465
Location: Leafy Cheshire
You guys ready to cheer on the might Blues tomorrow night?


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2018 2:00 pm 
Offline

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 6269
Frodder wrote:
You guys ready to cheer on the might Blues tomorrow night?


Yeah, go on then. Actually I always support welsh teams against anyone else and I've been enjoying the rugby the Blues have played with lots of good welsh talent...plus I want Tomos Williams to show Gatland why he should be pushing up the pecking order of 9s, and Lane and Jarrod Evans to show Gatland that he was wrong not to take them on tour.

And another plus...I do like to see some fancy side-stepping, so enjoy the lateral shenanigans of Lee-lo and Halaholo.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2018 2:05 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 8770
Frodder wrote:
You guys ready to cheer on the might Blues tomorrow night?


For sure.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2018 4:06 pm 
Offline

Joined: Fri May 04, 2012 7:12 pm
Posts: 2921
A disturbing read

The harrowing tale of Ben John and the frightening symptoms that forced him to walk away from rugby


https://www.walesonline.co.uk/sport/rug ... g-14634218


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2018 4:18 pm 
Offline

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 6269
Good luck to him. Very sensible walking away at that point and taking a proper break.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2018 7:17 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sun Mar 19, 2017 1:55 am
Posts: 2901
Location: Newport, Gwent
Frodder wrote:
You guys ready to cheer on the might Blues tomorrow night?

Of course, the Blues will fly the flag high for Wales!

GWO2 wrote:
A disturbing read

The harrowing tale of Ben John and the frightening symptoms that forced him to walk away from rugby


https://www.walesonline.co.uk/sport/rug ... g-14634218

Good idea, agree with penguin that a proper break is very sensible.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2018 9:47 pm 
Offline

Joined: Mon Apr 18, 2016 3:35 pm
Posts: 558
Overwhelming belief from the english that they are going to win, given their recent form and comfortable defeats at the hands of Pau, seems like its just the English being English.

Then again the semi last year they conceded 12 pens in their 22 in the first half and we had no change from it, so if the ref chooses before the match, it'll be tough.

Either way, will be a good occasion and even if its only the baby cup, its better to have a welsh team there than not.


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 10798 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 265, 266, 267, 268, 269, 270  Next

All times are UTC [ DST ]


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Bert, bimboman, Bing [Bot], Boxcar Ira, camroc1, CarrotGawks, dinsdale, Don Brooks, DragsterDriver, EverReady, genghis khan, Google Adsense [Bot], kerrandy, Leinster in London, Nolanator, Olo, Plastic Sarrie, Plato'sCave, PornDog, Risteard, Santa, Still Playing, umbrella, unseenwork, WoodlandsRFC, Zakar, ZappaMan, Zico and 1 guest


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group