Chat Forum
It is currently Thu Sep 20, 2018 5:22 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 11584 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 272, 273, 274, 275, 276, 277, 278 ... 290  Next
PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2018 11:28 pm 

The best thing about players stepping up to the mark is, come the WC a strong bench will be vital, I also think 2011 was a golden chance that sailed away by you know what.
Hope the boys have a good game this Sat, that will round things off nicely.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2018 8:07 am 

If it's 1 thing this tour has shown us (I guess that was point really) is that we're developing some depth in areas we struggle to put it mildly. LH is now an area we have 3 viable options. TH is getting stronger and even at lock it's not as bad as I thought it was. We just need:

- another 2 lock options
- back up to Foxy
- Patch to really step up
- another few scenarios

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2018 8:52 am 

LandOTurk wrote:
New guy wrote:
Jeff the Bear wrote:
New guy wrote:
Just noticed Wales are on the verge of leap frogging England into 4th on the world rankings. Says a lot about the quality of everybody else as much as anything.

Whisper it quietly but 2019 might be one of our best ever chances at winning the world cup. Still a long way to go obviously, but England, Argentina and South Africa are all weak right now, Ireland are definitely beatable. We won't beat New Zealand but if somebody else did it for us you never know

2011 was our chance. I reckon whatever team we were able to put out in 2019 won;t be as good.

Also, with regards to the above discussion as to who goes, it's probably worth noting that anywhere between 10-20% of those players won't make it due to injury. Our chances really will be bad on the likes of an Aled Davies, or Owen Watkin, or Tom Prydie...as one, if not all, will end up playing in an important game for us.

2011 was a great team but a lot of those guys are still around and we arguably have better depth now.

I really liked the look of our front 5 on Saturday, Warburton and Faletau will improve our back row massively. Hadleigh Parkes is world class. Jon Davies will be back. Plenty of options at 10, plenty of options on the wing.

Things aren't looking too bad

I'm excited. But my point is to win it we have to have lots of world class. I don't see it right now. But in 15 months it may be different. Remember just the fortuitous change of having Priestland at 10 instead of Wellies weeks before RWC. A Eureka moment for Gats no doubt. Could that be Tomos?!?

Well, out of our current players AWJ, Warburton and Faletau are all undoubtedly world class. I'd also put North as world class too but he doesn't always show it (partly his fault, partly his team mates).

After that you can argue a case for guys like Davies and Liam Williams who showed up very well on the Lions tour.

I called Hadleigh Parkes world class yesterday which in hindsight is stretching it a bit but the guy is outstanding and exactly what Wales have been lacking since Henson

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2018 9:02 am 

Frodder wrote:
If it's 1 thing this tour has shown us (I guess that was point really) is that we're developing some depth in areas we struggle to put it mildly. LH is now an area we have 3 viable options. TH is getting stronger and even at lock it's not as bad as I thought it was. We just need:

- another 2 lock options
- back up to Foxy
- Patch to really step up
- another few scenarios

If he would ever play him there then I think Rhodri Jones would be a decent loosehead option. All the benefit of him in the loose and none of the behind the sofa issues when he's at tighthead in the scrum.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2018 10:35 am 

I'm quietly confident that we'll have a pretty good squad by 2019. Whether it's intentional or by being injured - some of our key players have had a lot of time off/rest in the last year (Warburton, Jake Ball, JD2, Halfpenny, AWJ, Faletau, North) - if we carefully manage how they come back this season - we'll hopefully have 5 or 6 fully recharged key players coming back into an already competitive squad.

So hopefully by the 2019 6N we'll have a full contingent of players to pick from & take through to the World Cup in the autumn.

As far as the the WC Squad is concerned - there's always one or two bolters who come through in the year or so leading up to the tournament - my tips are Rhodri Williams to replace Aled Davies in the set-up - and hopefully one of Owen Lane or Tyler Morgan can kick-on and provide cover at 13

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2018 10:55 am 

P in VG wrote:
I'm quietly confident that we'll have a pretty good squad by 2019. Whether it's intentional or by being injured - some of our key players have had a lot of time off/rest in the last year (Warburton, Jake Ball, JD2, Halfpenny, AWJ, Faletau, North) - if we carefully manage how they come back this season - we'll hopefully have 5 or 6 fully recharged key players coming back into an already competitive squad.

So hopefully by the 2019 6N we'll have a full contingent of players to pick from & take through to the World Cup in the autumn.

As far as the the WC Squad is concerned - there's always one or two bolters who come through in the year or so leading up to the tournament - my tips are Rhodri Williams to replace Aled Davies in the set-up - and hopefully one of Owen Lane or Tyler Morgan can kick-on and provide cover at 13

Good call on Rhodri for that 3rd scrum half spot. He's a bit like Aled Davies in that he's a good allrounder, but I think a better all rounder...we'll see, will need the Dragons pack to win some ball first to allow him to make a case.

I have no confidence in Tyler Morgan staying fit for long enough to get back into the squad. Considering Lane hasn't played at 13 for the Blues yet it would be a push to get him World Cup ready (for what it's worth I reckon he might be good enough to do it)...so the best backup option to Jonathan Davies (apart from Scott Williams rediscovering his running shoes) might still be Watkin. He may not have covered himself in glory the other day but he's got something to work with, and he's further along in his progress than any of the younger options.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2018 11:24 am 

penguin wrote:
P in VG wrote:

Good call on Rhodri for that 3rd scrum half spot. He's a bit like Aled Davies in that he's a good allrounder, but I think a better all rounder...we'll see, will need the Dragons pack to win some ball first to allow him to make a case.

I have no confidence in Tyler Morgan staying fit for long enough to get back into the squad. Considering Lane hasn't played at 13 for the Blues yet it would be a push to get him World Cup ready (for what it's worth I reckon he might be good enough to do it)...so the best backup option to Jonathan Davies (apart from Scott Williams rediscovering his running shoes) might still be Watkin. He may not have covered himself in glory the other day but he's got something to work with, and he's further along in his progress than any of the younger options.

It will be interesting to see where Watkin lines up for the Ospreys next year with Scott arriving there - wonder who will play 12 and who will play 13? I'd say they both prefer to play 12 but Scott is the more senior so might get first dibs - which means Watkin will be playing most of his rugby at 13 (which might be good for Wales)

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2018 11:58 am 

P in VG wrote:
It will be interesting to see where Watkin lines up for the Ospreys next year with Scott arriving there - wonder who will play 12 and who will play 13? I'd say they both prefer to play 12 but Scott is the more senior so might get first dibs - which means Watkin will be playing most of his rugby at 13 (which might be good for Wales)

That's my hope - Scott is a far better 12, and we need Watkin more as a 13 for Wales. Limited options at 13 - Klim? Cory Allen (had rather forgotten him, but actually the welsh management seem to like him so who knows)?

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2018 2:15 pm 

Ryan Conbeer showing some amazing balanced running for the under 20s...one of the few bright spots sadly. Argentina looking like they are taking the game away now. Just scored another try to make it 29 - 15 with 25 to go.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2018 2:37 pm 

I've yet to see anything that would explain why Reffell is captain, or a first choice pick. Of the backrowers I've seen for us he looks pretty pedestrian - gets around but doesn't seem to do much. A bit Robshaw.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2018 2:43 pm 

Still a bit of the plays for an English club must be good stink about it.
Conbeer looks too small, good, but small

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2018 2:45 pm 

Theflier wrote:

Stocky though. Not like he'd blow over small. He's got something - whether he can take it up the levels we'll see but he's got a bit of x factor.

Yeah, Reffell looks like they decided he was a leader, and be damned whether he was better than the other options.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2018 3:33 pm 

Theflier wrote:

What? You mean a bit like Shane?

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2018 3:41 pm 

GWO2 wrote:
Theflier wrote:

No, like Robinson, Giles, walker, Morgan, Williams,Hewitt or any other diminutive back 3 player of the last 5 years who's been hyped as "the new shane" before injury or pro defence took it's toll

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2018 3:45 pm 

Just remembered Jack Roberts at the Blues. Hopefully will be fit soon as an option for the 13 slot

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2018 4:04 pm 

Frodder wrote:
Just remembered Jack Roberts at the Blues. Hopefully will be fit soon as an option for the 13 slot

Roberts had a horror season - very unfortunate.

The player who impressed me in the centre last year for the Blues was Garyn Smith - I thought he was a bit military medium before but the more I saw of him the more impressed I was. He was a great organiser in defence, some really strong reads in the 13 channel, perhaps not a spectacular attacker but was quicker than I first gave him credit for and an intelligent player. Not going to get anyone excited with x factor but I'll be interested to see how he goes next year, see if he can build on last season.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2018 4:18 pm 

Theflier wrote:
GWO2 wrote:
Theflier wrote:

No, like Robinson, Giles, walker, Morgan, Williams,Hewitt or any other diminutive back 3 player of the last 5 years who's been hyped as "the new shane" before injury or pro defence took it's toll

No he's way stockier than them. Look again.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2018 4:22 pm 

P in VG wrote:

Last RWC I picked Cawdor as my bolter and got a bit lucky with taht call when Webb got injured. Webb will never play in a RWC or a Lions tour in all probability. Bizarre.

My bolter is Prydie. He is still behind Amos but expect an injury to one of the 4 selected in the back 3 (North, HP, Liam, Amos). Prydie is near to leapfrogging Steff due to his inability to deal with x-field kicks.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2018 4:25 pm 

I tell you what chaps this thread has never been so busy.........just add another 8.5k pages and we'll overtake the Irish

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2018 4:27 pm 

penguin wrote:
Frodder wrote:

The player who impressed me in the centre last year for the Blues was Garyn Smith - I thought he was a bit military medium before but the more I saw of him the more impressed I was. He was a great organiser in defence, some really strong reads in the 13 channel, perhaps not a spectacular attacker but was quicker than I first gave him credit for and an intelligent player. Not going to get anyone excited with x factor but I'll be interested to see how he goes next year, see if he can build on last season.

Smith is a very very good player. It's such a shame he's a centre because Lee lo, halaholo and even shingler are classy operators there. 3 inches taller he would've been capped by now.

Conbeer 5'7 right? Too small

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2018 4:32 pm 

Theflier wrote:
penguin wrote:
Frodder wrote:

Smith is a very very good player. It's such a shame he's a centre because Lee lo, halaholo and even shingler are classy operators there. 3 inches taller he would've been capped by now.

Smith doesn't really fit 2 of the 3 of Gatland's criteria - a bit like Dan Evans. I suspect he'll get capped somewhere along the line without necessarily ever being favoured. Like you say, if he was bigger that might have swung it.

Wikipedia says 5'10 for Conbeer...but he's got that low centre of gravity, stocky build that I think can work. He may not make it all the way, but the way he runs is a bit Cullen-esque - quick changes of direction that leave people grasping at air. If he can defend half decently I think he'll be a real asset to the Scarlets in the very near future.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2018 6:07 pm 

Wilson bought out of Wasps contract, heads to Scotland.

Wish we could get rid of McBryde and have him instead. Maybe after RWC?? Hell of a forwards coach. Wherever he goes he makes a difference to the pack.

https://www.bbc.com/sport/rugby-union/44458557

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2018 6:09 pm 

penguin wrote:
Theflier wrote:
penguin wrote:
Frodder wrote:

Smith doesn't really fit 2 of the 3 of Gatland's criteria - a bit like Dan Evans. I suspect he'll get capped somewhere along the line without necessarily ever being favoured. Like you say, if he was bigger that might have swung it.

Wikipedia says 5'10 for Conbeer...but he's got that low centre of gravity, stocky build that I think can work. He may not make it all the way, but the way he runs is a bit Cullen-esque - quick changes of direction that leave people grasping at air. If he can defend half decently I think he'll be a real asset to the Scarlets in the very near future.

Yes 5'10". I've stood next to him. Thick set guy. Will take the hits in pro rugby well, no doubt. It's his defence that is currently his weakness.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2018 6:22 pm 

I missed the U20 match, looks like an awful score. Anyone see it can give me a write up?

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2018 6:57 pm 

Frodder wrote:
I tell you what chaps this thread has never been so busy.........just add another 8.5k pages and we'll overtake the Irish

I'm pushing to join the 10k gang. Don't bother me now, I'm busy posting.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2018 7:45 pm 

bessantj wrote:
I missed the U20 match, looks like an awful score. Anyone see it can give me a write up?

Deeply average team beaten by average-to-good team. We simply have no gainline presence in that team, so although we were more than capable of retaining possession (first half at least), our attacks were very much of the left, left, left, touchline, then right, right, right, repeat variety. To that end our tactics were shite. Argentina never had anyone in the rucks and just fanned out, but we never once picked and goed to keep them honest.

Our one bright spark was Conbeer, who scored a sensational try that he had no right to score, but how many times can you get you won't into the game when you are getting stuffed up front.

Our scrum was initially good, but then it turned to custard...and our lineout was diabolical.

Of this batch, we'll get a prop, Max Williams (not because he's any good, but because he's lump and he's Welsh), a flanker or two and Conbeer. Ieuan's boy may make it as Well, but really, his kicking is the only thing going for him.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2018 8:10 pm 

LandOTurk wrote:
Frodder wrote:

Join the match threads and post irrelevant shite is my advice

C69 - any advice?

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2018 8:30 pm 

Frodder wrote:
LandOTurk wrote:
Frodder wrote:

C69 - any advice?

I use the scatter gun method of posting.
Post often in short bursts. Never read earlier posts and don't bother with proper punctuation and grammar.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2018 9:22 pm 

c69 wrote:
Frodder wrote:
LandOTurk wrote:
Frodder wrote:

C69 - any advice?

Post often in short bursts. Never read earlier posts and don't bother with proper punctuation and grammar.

:shock:

And there`s me just thinking you were a fudging idiot. :lol:

PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2018 2:01 am 

GWO2 wrote:
c69 wrote:
Frodder wrote:
LandOTurk wrote:
Frodder wrote:

C69 - any advice?

:shock:

And there`s me just thinking you were a fudging idiot. :lol:

Always always go with your instinct.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2018 7:52 am 

Indeed lot, what time is the team announced?
Will Gats be bold or go for what he would consider his strongest team from the outset?

PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2018 8:31 am 

c69 wrote:
Will Gats be bold or go for what he would consider his strongest team from the outset?

1 o'clock on Thursday.

Well, he said he'd give everyone a game - whether that means a start or not I don't know - that would certainly narrow it down. I'd certainly like to see us go for the strongest team - there's been enough experimentation and everyone has had game time already. If, for example, that means Wainwright doesn't get a start but instead has a bench spot again I think that we've still learned quite a bit about him. We could see them reward the performances of guys like Beard and Dillon Lewis though.

I'd like to see Jenkins and James Davies together in the backrow. Tomos Williams start, with Gareth Davies on the bench. Patchell at 10...and that same back 3 of Amos, North and Adams.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2018 10:16 am 

Jeff the Bear wrote:
bessantj wrote:

Deeply average team beaten by average-to-good team. We simply have no gainline presence in that team, so although we were more than capable of retaining possession (first half at least), our attacks were very much of the left, left, left, touchline, then right, right, right, repeat variety. To that end our tactics were shite. Argentina never had anyone in the rucks and just fanned out, but we never once picked and goed to keep them honest.

Our one bright spark was Conbeer, who scored a sensational try that he had no right to score, but how many times can you get you won't into the game when you are getting stuffed up front.

Our scrum was initially good, but then it turned to custard...and our lineout was diabolical.

Of this batch, we'll get a prop, Max Williams (not because he's any good, but because he's lump and he's Welsh), a flanker or two and Conbeer. Ieuan's boy may make it as Well, but really, his kicking is the only thing going for him.

I wonder if some of the problem is the coaching - I felt that compared to the previous iterations of the under 20s this team looked a little lacking in gameplan. We did have some big carriers in guys like Carre and Fry but we never really got them running on to a ball. We didn't have the scrum platform that we have had for the last few years, but there was still enough ball to attack effectively, yet we seemed to rely on individual brilliance (which we got from the likes of Nicholas, Conbeer and Baldwin relatively often), rather than us pulling a team apart through anything that had the fingerprint of coaching on it.

I think there might be more decent pros in that team than performances like that suggest, although can't see too many obvious stars.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2018 6:27 pm 

penguin wrote:
c69 wrote:

1 o'clock on Thursday.

Well, he said he'd give everyone a game - whether that means a start or not I don't know - that would certainly narrow it down. I'd certainly like to see us go for the strongest team - there's been enough experimentation and everyone has had game time already. If, for example, that means Wainwright doesn't get a start but instead has a bench spot again I think that we've still learned quite a bit about him. We could see them reward the performances of guys like Beard and Dillon Lewis though.

I'd like to see Jenkins and James Davies together in the backrow. Tomos Williams start, with Gareth Davies on the bench. Patchell at 10...and that same back 3 of Amos, North and Adams.

Well this is a strange feeling. Waiting for a Wales team announcement that's a) not predictable or b) giving me an impending feeling of doom

PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2018 6:35 pm 

Frodder wrote:
penguin wrote:
c69 wrote:

1 o'clock on Thursday.

Well this is a strange feeling. Waiting for a Wales team announcement that's a) not predictable or b) giving me an impending feeling of doom

Yes it's pretty exciting tbh

PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2018 10:59 pm 

Frodder wrote:
penguin wrote:
c69 wrote:

1 o'clock on Thursday.

Feels like a new era :lol:

PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2018 10:50 am 

As the normally overly-optimistic person on this thread I find all you lot being so chipper disconcerting...someone say something miserable and pessimistic quick!

PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2018 11:56 am 

penguin wrote:
c69 wrote:

1 o'clock on Thursday.

He said he’s going to start Aled Davies 🤢

PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2018 11:57 am 

and Rhodri Jones hasn’t started yet 🤮

PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2018 11:59 am 

penguin wrote:
As the normally overly-optimistic person on this thread I find all you lot being so chipper disconcerting...someone say something miserable and pessimistic quick!

where is Theflier when you need him?.....

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 11584 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 272, 273, 274, 275, 276, 277, 278 ... 290  Next