Chat Forum
It is currently Sat Aug 24, 2019 7:52 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 15261 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 329, 330, 331, 332, 333, 334, 335 ... 382  Next
PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2019 8:46 pm 

It appears Young is playing. Moriarty will play to get more match fitness which leaves Navidi or Wainwright at 6

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2019 12:27 am 

Jon Davies to captain with several changes apparently

Seriously what is the point of wholesale changes when there is a two week break after anyway?

We experimented enough in Argentina and in Autumn

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2019 1:06 am 

Clive Simms wrote:

Seriously what is the point of wholesale changes when there is a two week break after anyway?

First time ever Gatland has picked a back to be captain.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2019 1:47 am 

New guy wrote:
Clive Simms wrote:

First time ever Gatland has picked a back to be captain.

I was going to say Jamie Roberts on the PI summer tour but that was McBryde, wasn't it.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2019 1:58 am 

Clive Simms wrote:

I reckon this has more to do with the World Cup. There's a collective nightmare scenario where we will have to start without AWJ. Although we tested that out in thr Summer, that'll be over 12 months old by the time of the World Cup. Best to see now how we're looking without him.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2019 5:31 am 

Jeff the Bear wrote:
Clive Simms wrote:

I reckon this has more to do with the World Cup. There's a collective nightmare scenario where we will have to start without AWJ. Although we tested that out in thr Summer, that'll be over 12 months old by the time of the World Cup. Best to see now how we're looking without him.

Not convinced that's the reason.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 09, 2019 8:27 pm 

What we have taken for granted over the years is just how great Tipuric, Warbs and Tony have been as lineout operators.

Today with Navidi, Young and Wainwright it showed the need for a top class line out jumper operator in the back row the compliment the two second rows.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 09, 2019 9:39 pm 

Jeff the Bear wrote:

Well after today's "performance", I think we can all agree if he's injured we might as well not bother going to Japan. Save ourselves the airfare/accommodation and instead blow all the money poaching South African locks.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 09, 2019 9:42 pm 

Enhanced their reputation

Thomas Young
Wainwright
Navidi
Josh Adams

Damaged their reputation

Dee
Ball
Biggar
Holmes (why was he even playing?)
Watkins

Never play for Wales again

Aled Davies

PostPosted: Sat Feb 09, 2019 9:49 pm 

I'm starting a poll on who's going to off the deep end the most

PostPosted: Sat Feb 09, 2019 10:01 pm 

Yeah, Aled Davies' performance was nothing short of putrid. That should do it for him.

The front 5 carrying was hopeless. No surprises there.

Also, we need to hope that Alun Wyn Jones doesn't break down anytime soon!
The No10 argument is up in the air. They are what they are. Average.

Nothing else really to add to that performance. Oh, the backrow, especially Wainwright, excellent again.

Anyway, still undefeated!

PostPosted: Sat Feb 09, 2019 10:19 pm 

Team for Eng

Smith
Owens
Francis
AWJ
Hill (if fit)
Navidi
Tipuric
Moriaty

Tomos
Anscombe
Adams
Parkes
JD2
North
Liam

Evans
Dee
Dillon
Ball
Wainwright
Davies
Biggar
Watkin

PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2019 12:05 am 

Oats wrote:
Team for Eng

Smith
Owens
Francis
AWJ
Hill (if fit)
Navidi
Tipuric
Moriaty

Tomos
Anscombe
Adams
Parkes
JD2
North
Liam

Evans
Dee
Dillon
Ball
Wainwright
Davies
Biggar
Watkin

Wainwright and Dillon should start

Considering how shit our attack is, Gatland should really think about bringing one of the blues centres in. Our defence stopped winning us real matches years ago and if Lane/Millard/smith can average 0.001 line break per game, they'd be a massive improvement on the current shower of shit.

Best 13 in the world? fudge off

PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2019 12:08 am 

Theflier wrote:
Oats wrote:
Team for Eng

Smith
Owens
Francis
AWJ
Hill (if fit)
Navidi
Tipuric
Moriaty

Tomos
Anscombe
Adams
Parkes
JD2
North
Liam

Evans
Dee
Dillon
Ball
Wainwright
Davies
Biggar
Watkin

Wainwright and Dillon should start

Considering how shit our attack is, Gatland should really think about bringing one of the blues centres in. Our defence stopped winning us real matches years ago and if Lane/Millard/smith can average 0.001 line break per game, they'd be a massive improvement on the current shower of shit.

Best 13 in the world? fudge off

Thought you did well of the bench today Gareth. Nice chip for the second try. Give my best to the boys!

PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2019 12:12 am 

Quote:
Gatland should really think about bringing one of the blues centres in

:lol:

If you were any more predictable you could put a pair of hands on and start using you as a clock.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2019 12:33 am 

Jeff the Bear wrote:
Quote:

If you were any more predictable you could put a pair of hands on and start using you as a clock.

My friend, I'm right far more often than a clock

PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2019 12:41 am 

Theflier wrote:
Jeff the Bear wrote:
Quote:

My friend, I'm right far more often than a clock

Three times per day and only sometimes concerning rugby.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2019 3:22 pm 

If anyones looking for a few hours to kill due to their Sunday lunch being postponed until 4pm

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WTCWAlYDwC4

PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2019 6:00 pm 

Good win by the U20s with Basham getting a hat trick.

Anyone know how well Rhys Webb is getting on in France?

PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2019 8:11 pm 

That was a sobering watch today and I don't mean Scrum V

PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2019 9:55 pm 

Frodder wrote:
That was a sobering watch today and I don't mean Scrum V

How do we defeat the undefeatable?

Our options overall, tbf, are somewhat limited. As it always does for us, it'll come down to the backrow, where at least we do have some tactical cards we could play.

- There's the Nuclear option of going 3 opensides ( Young, Tipuric and Navidi) and going gangbusters at each and every ruck.

- The abrasive option (Wainwright, Navidi and Moriarty) and seeing if we can win those precious dominant tackle stats.

- The standard option (Navidi, Tipuric, and Moriarty) where we stick to our guns and trust our tactics will beat theirs.

The other major pick is who partners AWJ. I'm starting to lean towards Hill. I'm not convinced that either Beard or Ball have the requisite physicality to actually make a dent on England, and so starting an auxiliary blindside at lock, who'll give us 15-20 high energy tackles if required may be what we need.

That pick however will be squarely based on whether we think our scrum can handle things (amongst all the good things England are doing a the moment, their scrum and lineouts have been exemplary).

Their big lads are only lasting until the early part of he second half, so the ultimate aim will be to hang on until then, and hopefully, if there's enough left in the tank, have ago in the last 20

PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2019 10:23 pm 

Theflier wrote:
If anyones looking for a few hours to kill due to their Sunday lunch being postponed until 4pm

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WTCWAlYDwC4

Cheers for that

PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2019 10:34 pm 

As well as England are playing, French defence was shocking, and Wales will need to take the game to them, like all teams when your playing well everything goes right and its becomes easy, England in both games attack from the word go, they play at a hectic pace and today the game was over 30 mins in.

The key for Wales is turn the table on them put pressure on their back three, we must fly out of the blocks stop their flow our kicking must be accurate and we must be sharp in attack, smash every bastard white jersey and drive them back, nobody has put Eng under sustained pressure lets see how they cope.
France may it very easy for England today and to some extent so did the Irish.
The Welsh lads will be well up for this, once the cracks start to appear the rhythm dies not an easy task but not out of Wales reach.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2019 10:46 pm 

The underdog tag sits well with us - might help that no one fancies us

PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2019 10:52 pm 

Clive wrote:
As well as England are playing, French defence was shocking, and Wales will need to take the game to them, like all teams when your playing well everything goes right and its becomes easy, England in both games attack from the word go, they play at a hectic pace and today the game was over 30 mins in.

The key for Wales is turn the table on them put pressure on their back three, we must fly out of the blocks stop their flow our kicking must be accurate and we must be sharp in attack, smash every bastard white jersey and drive them back, nobody has put Eng under sustained pressure lets see how they cope.
France may it very easy for England today and to some extent so did the Irish.
The Welsh lads will be well up for this, once the cracks start to appear the rhythm dies not an easy task but not out of Wales reach.

It's all well and good to say 'drive the shite jerseys back', but they've got serious carriers to get them on the front foot, and once on the front foot, other serious carriers to keep them on the front foot.

It's why I think, counter-intuitively, a lighter-weight pack may be our best bet. Our only hope in my opinion is to try and trap England behind the gainline, s they never get any momentum. That will mean starting with Nicky Smith and Hill up front, and maybe subbing one of Navidi or Moriarty for Wainwright.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2019 11:21 pm 

I would go with Hill.

Would stick with Tomos Williams and Anscombe as well. Looking back Anscombe was our best player 12 months ago v England. As someone mentioned, Biggar off the bench is an angry Biggar desperate to make an impact.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2019 11:24 am 

I just feel we've got too many players off the boil at the moment. Our 1st XV looks pretty good ignoring form; some great players, plenty of good and not too many place-fillers...but Rob Evans, Ken Owens, Jake Ball (fair enough - just back from injury), Adam Beard, Hadleigh Parkes, Gareth Davies, Dan Biggar, Jonathan Davies, Aled Davies...all off their best. That said in 2013 we came off the back of some desperately poor games to win the crunch match against England. Beaten by Ireland, limping along in the other games, and then suddenly burst into life in the last game. It's possible but I would have liked to see something approaching form before we faced England.

I'm sure we'll make it more difficult than France did (we might play a fullback for starters), but I'm not confident - we need to be substantially better than anything we've seen this tournament.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2019 11:55 am 

It seems we're settling into the underdog status excellently

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2019 12:48 pm 

Would you not pick Biggar as someone to counter the England high ball game?

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2019 1:37 pm 

It's a moot point assuming neither 1/2p or biggar start we'll still have a lions full back and double super rugby winning fullback on the pitch

But I think gats will go the safe route, and have the blues half backs on the bench if we go more than a score behind

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2019 1:39 pm 

We have to consider that Biggar was trying to play off Aled Davies' "Service" on Saturday

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2019 1:39 pm 

blindcider wrote:

He was terrible at the weekend, truly gash.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2019 2:08 pm 

blindcider wrote:

In which position? Fullback?

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2019 2:38 pm 

Taine Basham is some player. Our young backrow stocks are looking healthy for the future.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2019 2:44 pm 

cubby boi wrote:
Taine Basham is some player. Our young backrow stocks are looking healthy for the future.

6. Aaron Wainwright
7. Dan Davis
8. Taine Basham

Back row for next decade

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2019 3:01 pm 

cubby boi wrote:

He is, but I doubt he's going to be an 8 long term - I don't think he's going to be very big for a 7 even. However the Dragons academy seems to be doing a good job recently. If we could just produce front 5 players at the rate we're producing backrowers we'd be golden.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2019 11:47 am 

Wales Online suggesting Halfpenny could play for Scarlets this weekend, he's passed his HIA and he's finally back in contact training which is great news for him...but even if he gets through that game, surely too soon to bring him back for a game as big as the England one?

Also an update expected on Faletau's arm. Surely another one for the 'too soon' pile, even if he is technically back.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2019 12:43 pm 

Clive Simms wrote:
cubby boi wrote:

6. Aaron Wainwright
7. Dan Davis
8. Taine Basham

Back row for next decade

Carwyn Tupilotu?

PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2019 1:22 pm 

penguin wrote:
Wales Online suggesting Halfpenny could play for Scarlets this weekend, he's passed his HIA and he's finally back in contact training which is great news for him...but even if he gets through that game, surely too soon to bring him back for a game as big as the England one?

Also an update expected on Faletau's arm. Surely another one for the 'too soon' pile, even if he is technically back.

Bench for Faletau. He looked good for Bath just last month.

If Halfpenny looks ok on Saturday I'd be sorely tempted to start him

PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2019 1:23 pm 

If Halfpenny does start I think we have to drop North. Which is a shame.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 15261 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 329, 330, 331, 332, 333, 334, 335 ... 382  Next