Chat Forum
It is currently Wed Aug 21, 2019 9:30 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 15257 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 377, 378, 379, 380, 381, 382  Next
PostPosted: Mon Aug 12, 2019 1:53 pm 

penguin wrote:
MaccTaff wrote:
I said this on the match thread, but I can’t work out how disappointed I am.

Very was the answer, after reading korben’s reply.

The set piece worries me immensely. If Fiji and Australia (plus Georgia - why not?) have the upper hand on us in those departments, then Jeff’s 2015 avatar may come true.

I wouldn't worry about it too much (a little bit is only natural). Lineout will be honed over the next month and will get better - the most mechanical of skills so time together and solid practice should rectify it. Scrum is probably due to minimal scrum training and lots of beasting designed for later results.

The handling errors were massively disappointing because had we held on to a few more passes we did make England creak in wider channels...and there was a point there where we had a bit of momentum, but we killed it again with poor handling and decision making - that one ruck (maybe 60 something minutes in) where we spent about five hours re-organising on the edge of their 22 having had a few good thrusts that had given us momentum. We then proceeded to wait...wait...wait...and promptly shovelled the ball out to a now completely organised defence and got knocked back before losing possession. Those sorts of things should be ironed out by game time.

I'm disappointed, but it was just a warm up - the only serious concern for me is Anscombe. We can cope with playing badly now, but if we start losing key players then we're in real trouble.

The one thing that I would say, in terms of disappointing aspects of the game, is I wish Tomos Williams would get some game time - I think he can nick that starting spot and make Gareth Davies the super sub that he could be in tight games.

Thanks penguin - good reply.

I’m on holiday and so didn’t see much of the game (streaming was a partial success at best). In essence though, my gut feeling after the game was to agree with the bolded part.

It was reading Garin Jenkins’ comments on the BBC ticker where he showed deep concern about the Welsh set piece (noting the improvement in Fiji, and the Oz strength in this area) that got me gulping.

I watched a good chunk of the first half. To be 14-0 down after 15 minutes, and to chuck away lineout ball to the opposition on our 5 metre line was so very, very Welsh.

The intensity was awful. Did we improve in the second half? The scoreline suggests we had some parity.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 12, 2019 2:04 pm 

The set piece is the biggest worry if you are going to worry, but you know it's a warm up and that's what these games are for. We have a problem with our set piece we can work on that.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 12, 2019 2:05 pm 

Anscombe out with ACL injury apparently

PostPosted: Mon Aug 12, 2019 2:09 pm 

Bollocks.

Footage of Jarrod Evans on hearing the news:

PostPosted: Mon Aug 12, 2019 2:21 pm 

MaccTaff wrote:
Thanks penguin - good reply.

I’m on holiday and so didn’t see much of the game (streaming was a partial success at best). In essence though, my gut feeling after the game was to agree with the bolded part.

It was reading Garin Jenkins’ comments on the BBC ticker where he showed deep concern about the Welsh set piece (noting the improvement in Fiji, and the Oz strength in this area) that got me gulping.

I watched a good chunk of the first half. To be 14-0 down after 15 minutes, and to chuck away lineout ball to the opposition on our 5 metre line was so very, very Welsh.

The intensity was awful. Did we improve in the second half? The scoreline suggests we had some parity.

We did start to put a bit more together, but at the crucial point when we needed to go up another gear we found ways to lose the momentum - handling, decision making, scrums. A team with more game time would have made more of what we had.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 12, 2019 2:22 pm 

happyhooker wrote:
Anscombe out with ACL injury apparently

Well...f*ck it.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 12, 2019 2:31 pm 

FFS :(

PostPosted: Mon Aug 12, 2019 2:31 pm 

I’ve just noted it on the Anscombe gone thread, but do you think that Gatland will keep Biggar on the bench? That does seem to be where he is most effective, and we may aim to keep things at the very least tight in games, until bringing him on.

I’d rather start with Patchell and bring Biggar on, than start with Biggar and bring Patchell on.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 12, 2019 2:34 pm 

MaccTaff wrote:
I’ve just noted it on the Anscombe gone thread, but do you think that Gatland will keep Biggar on the bench? That does seem to be where he is most effective, and we may aim to keep things at the very least tight in games, until bringing him on.

I’d rather start with Patchell and bring Biggar on, than start with Biggar and bring Patchell on.

Depends if they want to stick to the same game plan - i.e. start with a more 'adventurous' 10 and close out games with Biggar

I see them being more risk adverse and playing Biggar for 80 in the big games moving forward.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 12, 2019 2:35 pm 

MaccTaff wrote:

It depends for me what version of Patchell turns up - the end of last season he looked down on confidence and very much a poor imitation of the player he can be.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 12, 2019 2:35 pm 

You'd have to give all three of them some game time in case one of them gets crocked. We have three matches though so plenty of chance to swap them in and out.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 12, 2019 4:18 pm 

penguin wrote:
MaccTaff wrote:

It depends for me what version of Patchell turns up - the end of last season he looked down on confidence and very much a poor imitation of the player he can be.

Regardless, Biggar now starts.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 12, 2019 4:20 pm 

LandOTurk wrote:
penguin wrote:
MaccTaff wrote:

Regardless, Biggar now starts.

You'd imagine so in any important match. Now if Biggar gets injured then we're into really uncharted territory...

PostPosted: Mon Aug 12, 2019 4:58 pm 

Step forward

PostPosted: Mon Aug 12, 2019 8:34 pm 

i really woudnt mind Jarrod playing 10, he's too young and inexperienced to shit himself into a semi pro like patchell, and he;s far more talented ball in hand than biggar, and a better runner than both.

his touch finders are also excellent

horrible for gareth, for all hes given to welsh rugby, the mental fortitude in the face of abuse 10 times what has seen west walian tens crumble like pussies, this really was a nasty turn of fate, 32 at the next, probably too old.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 12, 2019 8:35 pm 

shingler was all levels of shit, only matched by ken and davies at 9.

parkes complete inability to defend athelets is a real concern too

PostPosted: Mon Aug 12, 2019 8:48 pm 

So the players that were shit on Sunday were Shingler, Ken, Parkes, Cawdor and Patchell's also shit. I see a theme here

PostPosted: Mon Aug 12, 2019 8:52 pm 

Frodder wrote:
So the players that were shit on Sunday were Shingler, Ken, Parkes, Cawdor and Patchell's also shit. I see a theme here

Its almost as if they were shit all year at domestic level too

PostPosted: Mon Aug 12, 2019 9:15 pm 

Very sad for Anscombe.

However, Priestland was parachuted into the 10 shirt during the 2011 warm up games and look how well that turned out. Maybe, just maybe, this will be the making of Jarrod or Patch.

Give them both a start against Ireland and see what happens.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 12, 2019 11:51 pm 

New guy wrote:
Very sad for Anscombe.

However, Priestland was parachuted into the 10 shirt during the 2011 warm up games and look how well that turned out. Maybe, just maybe, this will be the making of Jarrod or Patch.

Can't wait that long. The NEW BARRY JOHN needs a shit tonne of game time from here until the World Cup. Whether it's him or THE GINGER MESSIAH that Gatland plump for, they have to start every game from here on in.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 13, 2019 12:18 am 

Jeff the Bear wrote:
New guy wrote:
Very sad for Anscombe.

Can't wait that long. The NEW BARRY JOHN needs a shit tonne of game time from here until the World Cup. Whether it's him or THE GINGER MESSIAH that Gatland plump for, they have to start every game from here on in.

Regardless, I will bet you Biggar starts the next game.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 13, 2019 12:21 am 

LandOTurk wrote:
Jeff the Bear wrote:
New guy wrote:
Very sad for Anscombe.

It's an interesting one alright. I actually think there's a good chance he starts one of the fringe 10's to give them game time.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 13, 2019 12:22 am 

Just been reading a lovely little article on the Scarlet's website.
https://www.scarlets.wales/en/team-news ... gel-short/

Reading between the lines, I think that B&I League is a pipe dream.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 13, 2019 12:49 am 

Jeff the Bear wrote:
New guy wrote:
Very sad for Anscombe.

I hope Patch is the chosen one, just because thefliers reaction will be entertaining.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 13, 2019 4:44 am 

Jeff the Bear wrote:
LandOTurk wrote:
Jeff the Bear wrote:
New guy wrote:
Very sad for Anscombe.

It's an interesting one alright. I actually think there's a good chance he starts one of the fringe 10's to give them game time.

I believe that you have to counter your argument with Gats wants to win this one as Eng may well be our QF opponent. Psychology and all that innit.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 13, 2019 4:55 am 

Jeff the Bear wrote:
LandOTurk wrote:
Jeff the Bear wrote:
New guy wrote:
Very sad for Anscombe.

https://www.walesonline.co.uk/sport/rug ... t-16743834

PostPosted: Tue Aug 13, 2019 4:55 am 

LandOTurk wrote:
Jeff the Bear wrote:
LandOTurk wrote:
Jeff the Bear wrote:
New guy wrote:
Very sad for Anscombe.

https://www.walesonline.co.uk/sport/rug ... t-16743834

The more I think about it, it has to be Patch starting.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 13, 2019 8:43 am 

Can you imagine all the bollocks we'll have if Patch starts on Saturday? EJ's 'mind games'.

Throw the golden child in, why the fudge not

PostPosted: Tue Aug 13, 2019 10:13 am 

Frodder wrote:
Can you imagine all the bollocks we'll have if Patch starts on Saturday? EJ's 'mind games'.

Throw the golden child in, why the fudge not

They've both got to see some minutes in the 3 remaining warm ups - then we go with whoever shows up best. I think Jarrod might outshine Patch given last season's form.

Biggar will also play his part - I don't subscribe to the view that you wrap him up in cotton wool until the WC - he could just as easily get injured in the first pool game anyway. Players need game time to get up to speed etc..

PostPosted: Tue Aug 13, 2019 10:32 am 

I agree - both Patch and Jarrod need time, the question is how does Gatland play it? Does he try and replace Anscombe like for like, starting with one of the other two and then retaining Biggar as the finishing 10, or does Anscombe's injury mean we go back to Biggar starting and the other two only getting a cameo role at the end? I'd rather the former.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 13, 2019 11:42 am 

I actually think he should pick one, and pile as much time and effort into the picked player. There's barely any time between now and the World Cup, and a couple of goes from the bench each isn't going to be enough.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 13, 2019 5:44 pm 

My team for Sat
15 williams
14 north
13 JD
12 Watkin
11. Adams
10 Evans
9 Tomo
8 morriarty
7 Wainright
6 Josh
5 Ball
4 AW
3 Fransis
2 dee
1 Smith

PostPosted: Wed Aug 14, 2019 5:56 pm 

P14 stats kicking %
Jarrod 64.52%
Patchell 81.25%

If Jarrod plays, so does Halfpenny.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 14, 2019 6:07 pm 

The golden childs stats were better last year. Play him as I won't be able to handle the "mind games" shite

PostPosted: Thu Aug 15, 2019 11:54 am 

Only 3 changes

Wales team: Liam Williams (Saracens, 56 Caps); George North (Ospreys, 84 Caps), Jonathan Davies (Scarlets, 74 Caps), Hadleigh Parkes (Scarlets, 16 Caps), Josh Adams (Cardiff Blues, 11 Caps); Dan Biggar (Northampton Saints, 71 Caps), Gareth Davies (Scarlets, 42 Caps); Nicky Smith (Ospreys, 29 Caps), Ken Owens (Scarlets, 65 Caps), Tomas Francis (Exeter Chiefs, 41 Caps), Jake Ball (Scarlets, 33 Caps), Alun Wyn Jones (C) (Ospreys, 126 Caps), Aaron Wainwright (Dragons, 9 Caps), James Davies (Scarlets, 3 Caps), Ross Moriarty (Dragons, 32 Caps)

Replacements: Elliot Dee (Dragons, 19 Caps), Wyn Jones (Scarlets, 13 Caps), Dillon Lewis (Cardiff Blues, 13 Caps), Aaron Shingler (Scarlets, 18 Caps), Josh Navidi (Cardiff Blues, 16 Caps), Aled Davies (Ospreys, 17 Caps), Jarrod Evans (Cardiff Blues, 1 Cap), Owen Watkin (Ospreys, 14 Caps)

PostPosted: Thu Aug 15, 2019 12:14 pm 

Not sure what to make of that. In Gats we trust

PostPosted: Thu Aug 15, 2019 1:59 pm 

youngsidd wrote:
Only 3 changes

Wales team: Liam Williams (Saracens, 56 Caps); George North (Ospreys, 84 Caps), Jonathan Davies (Scarlets, 74 Caps), Hadleigh Parkes (Scarlets, 16 Caps), Josh Adams (Cardiff Blues, 11 Caps); Dan Biggar (Northampton Saints, 71 Caps), Gareth Davies (Scarlets, 42 Caps); Nicky Smith (Ospreys, 29 Caps), Ken Owens (Scarlets, 65 Caps), Tomas Francis (Exeter Chiefs, 41 Caps), Jake Ball (Scarlets, 33 Caps), Alun Wyn Jones (C) (Ospreys, 126 Caps), Aaron Wainwright (Dragons, 9 Caps), James Davies (Scarlets, 3 Caps), Ross Moriarty (Dragons, 32 Caps)

Replacements: Elliot Dee (Dragons, 19 Caps), Wyn Jones (Scarlets, 13 Caps), Dillon Lewis (Cardiff Blues, 13 Caps), Aaron Shingler (Scarlets, 18 Caps), Josh Navidi (Cardiff Blues, 16 Caps), Aled Davies (Ospreys, 17 Caps), Jarrod Evans (Cardiff Blues, 1 Cap), Owen Watkin (Ospreys, 14 Caps)

Interesting in bold.

Also is Cory Hill inured, out of favour or just Gats wants to give Shingler game time.

Happy for cubby too.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 15, 2019 2:40 pm 

First time Foxy and Cubby playing together for Wales. How can you not love that. :thumbup:

PostPosted: Thu Aug 15, 2019 9:42 pm 

LandOTurk wrote:
youngsidd wrote:
Only 3 changes

Interesting in bold.

Also is Cory Hill inured, out of favour or just Gats wants to give Shingler game time.

Happy for cubby too.

Hill was injured in the 6N v England as he scored his wonder try. Did his ankle, not sure how long he is out for.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 15, 2019 9:56 pm 

stage is set for Jarrod to launch a 10 year career to leave jtb looking like randy marsh

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 15257 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 377, 378, 379, 380, 381, 382  Next