Chat Forum
It is currently Fri Oct 19, 2018 9:10 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 12148 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 229, 230, 231, 232, 233, 234, 235 ... 304  Next
PostPosted: Wed Dec 13, 2017 4:01 pm 

Is this guy got his shit together he'd walk into the Wales squad

PostPosted: Wed Dec 13, 2017 4:33 pm 

Frodder wrote:

It's a worry that he hasn't made the progress we might have expected. To be fair at the Scarlets he has two very good tightheads ahead of him, so let's hope he's been working hard behind the scenes...and on his loan spell recently.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 13, 2017 6:21 pm 

penguin wrote:
Frodder wrote:

It's a worry that he hasn't made the progress we might have expected. To be fair at the Scarlets he has two very good tightheads ahead of him, so let's hope he's been working hard behind the scenes...and on his loan spell recently.

I think the feeling in Llanelli is that he has progressed, and his time in Newport is much needed game time, ready for duty when the stars go off to the 6N.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 13, 2017 6:27 pm 

LandOTurk wrote:
penguin wrote:
Frodder wrote:

I think the feeling in Llanelli is that he has progressed, and his time in Newport is much needed game time, ready for duty when the stars go off to the 6N.

Good to hear :thumbup:

PostPosted: Wed Dec 13, 2017 6:36 pm 

Anyone else heard the rumour that Dan Biggar is doing everything possible to pull out of the Northampton deal?

PostPosted: Wed Dec 13, 2017 8:23 pm 

Any info on Danny Wilson? He's coming to Wasps next season as forwards coach. Well thought of?

Clive Simms wrote:
Anyone else heard the rumour that Dan Biggar is doing everything possible to pull out of the Northampton deal?

If Biggar was signing for the coaches, he didn't do enough homework, Mallinder (and likely West) leaving Saints, is probably going to make it a better place.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 13, 2017 8:25 pm 

Raggs wrote:
Any info on Danny Wilson? He's coming to Wasps next season as forwards coach. Well thought of?

Brilliant forwards, in particular scrum coach. Makes a significant difference to any forwards pack he works with. Up front Scarlets improved 20% within 6 months of him arriving.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 13, 2017 8:26 pm 

Raggs wrote:

He'll be good as a forwards coach. Instantly took a ropey looking Cardiff scrum and made them a lot better (not world beaters by any stretch, but there' only so much you can polish a turd).

However, never convinced as the top man. In the round though, how depressing is it that a coach would rather take a step back down the career progression level in England than coach in Wales. One can only assume that he's likely going to be earning more money for less stress.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 13, 2017 8:27 pm 

Danny Wilson is a bright young thing.

Coached for several of the regions and was highly thought of at the Blues.

Did alright at the under-20s.

Him leaving the top job at the Blues to play second fiddle to Dai Young at Wasps suggests the City Slickers are in crisis mode/up shit creek.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 13, 2017 9:20 pm 

Dai is signed up with us up until 2019 I believe. Then he's potentially going to be looking at Gatlands job I guess?

That'll leave an opening for a new DOR/Head coach at Wasps. I'd guess Wilson is effectively putting his hat into the mix, the other is likely our attack coach, who was the youngest head coach in the championship, before moving to Wasps.

Good to hear he's a good recruit though.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 13, 2017 9:27 pm 

Raggs wrote:
Dai is signed up with us up until 2019 I believe. Then he's potentially going to be looking at Gatlands job I guess?

That'll leave an opening for a new DOR/Head coach at Wasps. I'd guess Wilson is effectively putting his hat into the mix, the other is likely our attack coach, who was the youngest head coach in the championship, before moving to Wasps.

I'm hoping that Dai is toward the bottom of a very long list of replacements for Gatland.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 13, 2017 9:30 pm 

henry wrote:
Raggs wrote:

I'm hoping that Dai is toward the bottom of a very long list of replacements for Gatland.

We'll stay Kiwi with our coaches and clear everything out from top to bottom

PostPosted: Wed Dec 13, 2017 9:32 pm 

Frodder wrote:
henry wrote:
Raggs wrote:

We'll stay Kiwi with our coaches and clear everything out from top to bottom

Here's hoping.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 13, 2017 11:20 pm 

Jeff the Bear wrote:
Paul_ wrote:
Any reason (apart from height) why we shouldn't be looking to play Dan Lydiate in the 2nd Row at some point soon?

Scrumming isn't so much an art, as it generally relies on brute strength, but you do need to get used to the extreme pressures applied, and your ability to shift body weight and push when under such pressure. Ultimately, I don't think you can chuck someone who has never scrummed at second row into lock, no matter how strong they are, and expect anything other than for them to crumple.

Technique in scrummaging is the most important factor. Yes, you have to be at least a certain size, but you need technical proficiency to utilise your strength capably. It's possibly less applicable at lock, where you aren't directly grappling an opponent, but poor technique in the second row can leave a good prop looking very poor.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 15, 2017 10:27 pm 

Bummer evening, the Dragons losing by a conversion. But you know in seasons past they'd have had 40 points stuck on em. Plus Dee has scored what 6 tries so far this season, the man is a try scoring machine.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 16, 2017 3:21 pm 

Would the real Benneton please stand up

PostPosted: Sat Dec 16, 2017 4:16 pm 

Excellent win for the Scarlets. If only all Welsh sides could manage such results, wouldn't that be so wonderful.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 17, 2017 12:19 pm 

Brew played very well again.............just saying

PostPosted: Sun Dec 17, 2017 5:16 pm 

bessantj wrote:
Excellent win for the Scarlets. If only all Welsh sides could manage such results, wouldn't that be so wonderful.

Touon in Llanelli next. Win that and it would set up a cracker at Bath for the top spot showdown in the final round.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 17, 2017 6:16 pm 

LandOTurk wrote:
bessantj wrote:

Touon in Llanelli next. Win that and it would set up a cracker at Bath for the top spot showdown in the final round.

Other way round.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 17, 2017 6:45 pm 

Scarlets are in with a decent shout of progressing in Europe, Bath away is definitely winnable - and then it's down to Toulon at home in the last game - tough ask, but at least it's in their own hands.

Ospreys have got the full 10 points from beating Northampton x2 - but I can't see them getting enough points from Saracens at home & Clermont away in Jan - you never know though, stranger things have happened & they did run Saracens pretty close in the away fixture.

The tables look pretty close - with 3 teams in contention in each pool, so it could be a lottery as to which teams progress as the 3 best runners-up

PostPosted: Mon Dec 18, 2017 8:28 am 

Chuffed with the Blues result (weather is shocking) and Seb Davies could be a 6N starter. With Anscombe being fit again it gives another option at 10 or 15 at a push

PostPosted: Mon Dec 18, 2017 10:09 am 

Navidi was the stand out for the Blues - another great performance. With Faletau out and Moriarty a question mark, he's got to be the 8 for the Six Nations the way he's playing. But yeah, Seb Davies - impressive. Tomos Williams, until a couple of late wayward kicks, was excellent. I like the look of Owen Lane - would like to see him at 13 considering our weakness there...but then Garyn Smith was pretty good too. Some really good youngsters developing.

Great to see 3 welsh wins, and sounds like the Dragons should have had the fourth, but for chasing a bonus point (which was a sign of no little confidence from them, in of itself impressive). Jackman having a bit of a pop at the ref for not giving us our just desserts at the ensuing maul. Not taking a shot at 3 from inside the 22 when you're 2 down - I'm going to call that gutsy for now. Hope we can still get through. Good weekend.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 18, 2017 11:38 am 

P in VG wrote:
Scarlets are in with a decent shout of progressing in Europe, Bath away is definitely winnable - and then it's down to Toulon at home in the last game - tough ask, but at least it's in their own hands.

Ospreys have got the full 10 points from beating Northampton x2 - but I can't see them getting enough points from Saracens at home & Clermont away in Jan - you never know though, stranger things have happened & they did run Saracens pretty close in the away fixture.

The tables look pretty close - with 3 teams in contention in each pool, so it could be a lottery as to which teams progress as the 3 best runners-up

Came to post something similar. I can't remember the last time (and I think there may have never actually been a last time) when all 4 regions went into the last two games of European pool matches still with a chance of progressing. Granted, there's a good chance that none of them will progress, but it's at ;east slightly refreshing that they all still have an opportunity.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 18, 2017 12:48 pm 

Interesting. Wales online reporting that Northampton want Gatland...

Quote:
“We will start at the top, with people like Warren Gatland,” Northampton mover and shaker Barwell told the Rugby Paper.

Would be a big shake up if that happened.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 18, 2017 1:09 pm 

Mr Dominator is a troll but he is correct in what he said on the English Rugby Thread.

Best tight head from the English club teams this weekend was Wales's Tomas Francis. Wales will have a handy scrum this 6 Nations.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 18, 2017 1:17 pm 

iarmhiman wrote:
Mr Dominator is a troll but he is correct in what he said on the English Rugby Thread.

Best tight head from the English club teams this weekend was Wales's Tomas Francis. Wales will have a handy scrum this 6 Nations.

I didn't see that game. Pleased to hear it, but it's not always that clear that that will translate. Francis did pretty well in the autumn, but I've yet to see him take anyone to the cleaners at international level. My bet is our scrum will be adequate - enough to launch some decent first phase attacks off, but not enough to really win a game for us by consistent besting of the opposition. There aren't too many weak front rows around right now.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 18, 2017 2:07 pm 

not Toby not totally out of the 6N

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/rugby-union/42329104

PostPosted: Mon Dec 18, 2017 2:10 pm 

Frodder wrote:
not Toby not totally out of the 6N

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/rugby-union/42329104

Article also mentions that Ball is in a similar boat and likely to play some part

PostPosted: Mon Dec 18, 2017 2:36 pm 

penguin wrote:

Quote:
“We will start at the top, with people like Warren Gatland,” Northampton mover and shaker Barwell told the Rugby Paper.

Thought Gatland was heading back to NZ at the end of his Wales contract?

PostPosted: Mon Dec 18, 2017 2:37 pm 

penguin wrote:
iarmhiman wrote:

I didn't see that game. Pleased to hear it, but it's not always that clear that that will translate. Francis did pretty well in the autumn, but I've yet to see him take anyone to the cleaners at international level. My bet is our scrum will be adequate - enough to launch some decent first phase attacks off, but not enough to really win a game for us by consistent besting of the opposition. There aren't too many weak front rows around right now.

I don't worry about our scrum being consistently mangled in an England v Australia horror show stylie but I do worry about it switching off at critical times. There's been a few occasions, particularly against NZ and other top teams, where we've lost a good attacking platform against the head or given up costly and needless penalties. Tomas Pudding Francis and his Jelly Belly Brain gives me pause for that very reason. That and the fact he offers Sweet FA elsewhere.

And, on top of that, whilst the frontrow options might be ok, the secondrow looks bereft. I'm a bit worried we're up shitcreek, particularly with Toby and Warburton missing and Jiffy out.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 18, 2017 2:39 pm 

penguin wrote:

Quote:

You'd have to think Northampton is only an option after the RWC and even then, a return to NZ seems more likely, as does a season or two in France. I admire their ambition and optimism, however.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 18, 2017 2:59 pm 

henry wrote:
penguin wrote:

Quote:

You'd have to think Northampton is only an option after the RWC and even then, a return to NZ seems more likely, as does a season or two in France. I admire their ambition and optimism, however.

The fact he talked about going back to NZ would seem to be the biggest argument against Northampton...but still, could be a good move for all involved.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 18, 2017 3:38 pm 

They won't get Gatland. Looking more like Wayne Smith or Lancaster.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 18, 2017 4:32 pm 

iarmhiman wrote:
They won't get Gatland. Looking more like Wayne Smith or Lancaster.

Don't take away our daydreams...but yeah, it seems unlikely.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 18, 2017 4:33 pm 

Frodder wrote:
Brew played very well again.............just saying

He certainly had a fantastic first half (maybe first 30 minutes?). I didn't notice him much in the second half. Has he played well all season (out of curiosity / hope - don't have an agenda)?

PostPosted: Mon Dec 18, 2017 4:54 pm 

penguin wrote:
henry wrote:
penguin wrote:

Quote:

The fact he talked about going back to NZ would seem to be the biggest argument against Northampton...but still, could be a good move for all involved.

Have you thought that talk about a return to NZ might simply be a negotiating ploy to up the initial bid from whoever is chasing him? And hasn't Gatland anointed Howley as his successor? Could do worse.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 18, 2017 5:27 pm 

Fenman wrote:
penguin wrote:
henry wrote:
penguin wrote:

Quote:

Have you thought that talk about a return to NZ might simply be a negotiating ploy to up the initial bid from whoever is chasing him? And hasn't Gatland anointed Howley as his successor? Could do worse.

Insightful as ever.

Dick.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 18, 2017 5:28 pm 

henry wrote:
Fenman wrote:

Insightful as ever.

Dick.

Howley ruling himself out has really given me hope for the future.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 18, 2017 5:35 pm 

penguin wrote:
henry wrote:
Fenman wrote:

Insightful as ever.

Dick.

Howley ruling himself out has really given me hope for the future.

At the very least, it provides the opportunity for some idle speculation and rampant optimism.

Pivac? Rennie? Smith (snigger)? White? Deans? Young?

I just wish Gatland would look to freshen things up a bit now - Howley and McBride have been loyal servants and have, on the whole, done well for us. But replacing them might be just the job to generate some momentum and fresh enthusiasm. Wouldn't be adverse to Stephen Jones entering the fray. Athough, at the same time, I did hear John Humphries name mentioned in respect of a forwards role - that suggests the grass may not always be greener.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 12148 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 229, 230, 231, 232, 233, 234, 235 ... 304  Next