Chat Forum
It is currently Wed Jul 18, 2018 7:30 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 11276 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 231, 232, 233, 234, 235, 236, 237 ... 282  Next
PostPosted: Sun Dec 31, 2017 4:06 pm 

Ah...home with a bottle of Brains SA and having just endured Eddie Butler's year in hyperbole, now sitting down to watch the Squatters bum the arse out of Shitty Slickers.

The festive period delivers.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 31, 2017 10:15 pm 

So let us sit back in the knowledge we had four exciting derbies played in wonderful conditions. As we look to the tables we can see that the regions are just flying so high and everything is wonderful x(

PostPosted: Sun Dec 31, 2017 11:11 pm 

bessantj wrote:
So let us sit back in the knowledge we had four exciting derbies played in wonderful conditions. As we look to the tables we can see that the regions are just flying so high and everything is wonderful x(

Absolutely. And, as someone who can count to 12 without a calculamator, I'm a happy towny. Welsh rugby is not in the desperate situation we think, however it is in a state of genuine flux at the moment. We're not crap, but we're far from good. 6 or 7 in world rankings would imho be very gratifying.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 02, 2018 8:35 am 

Watching the Blues/Scarlets game shows why Biggar is picked by WG. Everytime we think we've got someone to challenge him we see he's by far away he's our No.1 No. 10

PostPosted: Tue Jan 02, 2018 9:59 am 

Frodder wrote:
Watching the Blues/Scarlets game shows why Biggar is picked by WG. Everytime we think we've got someone to challenge him we see he's by far away he's our No.1 No. 10

he's by far away our No.1 No. 10...in the rain.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 02, 2018 10:47 am 

One quick gripe for the New Year - Martyn Williams gave his usual bleat about the Dragons saying 'not good enough, no sign of real progress this year, they had to win 1 of their 2 home games'...I feel he's only looking at results and not performances, or the context of the two derby losses.

Everyone has injuries, but in a squad already thin on quality, it hurts the Dragons more than most. A backrow with the 'experience' being provided by Benjamin, a 23 year old who has played more sevens than regional rugby. A half back pairing with a combined age of 37! Beard and Meyer 1st game back from injury. For all their faults - the Ospreys in the wet was always likely to be too much for us. Our best chance is an open, wide game...and we got the reverse of that.

I'm not asking for him to blow sunshine up our arse, just not default to doom and gloom when there are clearly reasons why we might not be firing on all cylinders right now.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 02, 2018 1:28 pm 

penguin wrote:
One quick gripe for the New Year - Martyn Williams gave his usual bleat about the Dragons saying 'not good enough, no sign of real progress this year, they had to win 1 of their 2 home games'...I feel he's only looking at results and not performances, or the context of the two derby losses.

Everyone has injuries, but in a squad already thin on quality, it hurts the Dragons more than most. A backrow with the 'experience' being provided by Benjamin, a 23 year old who has played more sevens than regional rugby. A half back pairing with a combined age of 37! Beard and Meyer 1st game back from injury. For all their faults - the Ospreys in the wet was always likely to be too much for us. Our best chance is an open, wide game...and we got the reverse of that.

I'm not asking for him to blow sunshine up our arse, just not default to doom and gloom when there are clearly reasons why we might not be firing on all cylinders right now.

I know what you mean, but ultimately it will be results he is measured against. Think Moyes versus or van Gaal or Mourinho and Rodgers versus Klopp. For all the noise, they will still be judged on results. Bernard has this season to improve but next season will be a head:head based on results and there must be significant improvement. Jury is out for now.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 02, 2018 1:38 pm 

LandOTurk wrote:
penguin wrote:

I know what you mean, but ultimately it will be results he is measured against. Think Moyes versus or van Gaal or Mourinho and Rodgers versus Klopp. For all the noise, they will still be judged on results. Bernard has this season to improve but next season will be a head:head based on results and there must be significant improvement. Jury is out for now.

Ultimately that is true but for someone who is paid to watch and analyse, I don't think he's actually giving a fair assessment of where they are. Had we been that hit by injuries in the last couple of years, I don't believe it is an understatement to suggest we would have shipped 50. The defensive work, and the general ethos is so much better than before. It needs reinforcement of personnel, no doubt, but as a pundit I'd expect more than 'they lost again, I can't see any difference to before'. You can't completely ignore context...at least I don't think you can. Lazy punditry for me.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 02, 2018 3:08 pm 

With the Blues at sixes and sevens off the field, I think he is doing his best to rubbish the Dragons where he can to make his old paymasters look good. He's quite biased these days, sad to see. A bit like when Michael Owen stuck the knife in, regardless of what is happening, it's a cheap shot at getting the Pontypridd regional whinging in the papers. It's not personal, it would be the Scarlets or Ospreys if they were underperforming as regularly as we have. Everybody has their drum to beat, and it's easy to have a pop at the Dragons. At least they're not ginger Martyn you orange topped tit x( :lol: :lol:

PostPosted: Tue Jan 02, 2018 3:47 pm 

Not Frankie wrote:
With the Blues at sixes and sevens off the field, I think he is doing his best to rubbish the Dragons where he can to make his old paymasters look good. He's quite biased these days, sad to see. A bit like when Michael Owen stuck the knife in, regardless of what is happening, it's a cheap shot at getting the Pontypridd regional whinging in the papers. It's not personal, it would be the Scarlets or Ospreys if they were underperforming as regularly as we have. Everybody has their drum to beat, and it's easy to have a pop at the Dragons. At least they're not ginger Martyn you orange topped tit x( :lol: :lol:

Average age of the team was 23! Two of the 'experienced' players were Meyer and Beard 1st game back from injury...the fact we're in any way competitive in these matches using a youth team with a smattering of senior players is impressive. I would say this - the fact that almost all of that experience was packed into the front 5 was important. Could have got ugly.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 02, 2018 3:59 pm 

penguin wrote:
Not Frankie wrote:

Average age of the team was 23! Two of the 'experienced' players were Meyer and Beard 1st game back from injury...the fact we're in any way competitive in these matches using a youth team with a smattering of senior players is impressive. I would say this - the fact that almost all of that experience was packed into the front 5 was important. Could have got ugly.

Up against what is on paper, a very decent Ospreys squad with a pretty horrifying bench as far as we are concerned.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 02, 2018 4:12 pm 

Not Frankie wrote:
penguin wrote:
Not Frankie wrote:

Up against what is on paper, a very decent Ospreys squad with a pretty horrifying bench as far as we are concerned.

Need some players back in the backrow desperately - slow ball, and inability to slow other teams ball has been a big problem. With Griffiths, Cudd, Evans and Keddie all out that has been an issue that the likes of Roach and Robson Blake can't solve. With Cudd and Griffiths about, I'm sure we would have stolen some useful ball and made life a lot harder for them.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 02, 2018 4:14 pm 

Not Frankie wrote:

I`m not knocking what you are saying about the pundits, but, I don`t think you can use that highlighted sentence when talking about the way the Ospreys have UNDER PERFORMED this season. I think we are the worse under performing team in the league. :lol: :lol: :lol:

PostPosted: Tue Jan 02, 2018 4:28 pm 

GWO2 wrote:
Not Frankie wrote:

I`m not knocking what you are saying about the pundits, but, I don`t think you can use that highlighted sentence when talking about the way the Ospreys have UNDER PERFORMED this season. I think we are the worse under performing team in the league. :lol: :lol: :lol:

Compared to your squad, no doubt.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 02, 2018 4:56 pm 

Cry me a river, everyone has injuries, and better players who make more of a difference so that's bullshit. Haven't the dragqueens tasted 50 point hammerings against all the Irish regions??? They are just as pathetic and useless as ever, and frankly you're an idiot for believing a fat Irishman and Wales online.
As shit as we are this year, I didn't think you had a chance of beating us in either derby.

OT: scarlets tasting that rarest of oasis, ref expecting you to win, therefore you win.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 02, 2018 5:09 pm 

Theflier wrote:
Cry me a river, everyone has injuries, and better players who make more of a difference so that's bullshit. Haven't the dragqueens tasted 50 point hammerings against all the Irish regions??? They are just as pathetic and useless as ever, and frankly you're an idiot for believing a fat Irishman and Wales online.
As shit as we are this year, I didn't think you had a chance of beating us in either derby.

OT: scarlets tasting that rarest of oasis, ref expecting you to win, therefore you win.

It's not complicated - everyone gets injuries, but when you have the weakest squad to start with, injuries hurt more. And anyway the point I was making was more about pundits not taking into account context when analysing performance.

Jackman has clearly not taken the away games as seriously as the home games, and if you actually watch the matches you'll see a style developing that was not there under previous coaches, as well as a hell of a lot of blooding of youngsters to build something for the future...so yes, I believe there is progress, albeit with a very young team that lacks the pack to compete regularly at this point. Martyn Williams defaulting to 'nothing has changed' is bad punditry IMO.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 02, 2018 10:42 pm 

Lets be honest Martyn Williams has been involved with rugby most of his life, his opinion is worth something. There hasn't been any real sign of positive progress beyond the Dragons seeming more willing to sling the ball about (Lest not forget last years Dragons v Ospreys new years derby which was dominated by both sides kicking and kicking and kicking until the Ospreys won 10-0 and we all wish we were dead) and I'm not worried about it. The Dragons have lost players and haven't the cover for them, however a few Dragons players have got Welsh caps and next season there should be better players coming in to help the pack which is where the biggest problem lies.

Jackman and the WRU have got a job on their hands, the Dragons have been chronically underfunded and not well supported (Though I think this is a problem for all the regions.) and it's going to take more than one season tos ee any signs that this will stop.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 03, 2018 8:58 am 

Come on guys let's not get all nasty with each other. This is the friendly thread where we're all friends like.

I can see things changing at the Dragons but Rome wasn't built in a day. The additions to the squad will help and more quality recruits in the front 5 is never going to go a miss. At the Blues we've got some excellent youngsters coming through despite the off field terrible set-up. That must be changed to put it mildly. We've got the chance to do that at the end of the season and if nothing changes it would be an absolute disgrace

PostPosted: Wed Jan 03, 2018 11:17 am 

Dragons team for Scarlets is going to feature Taine Basham apparently - an 18 year old openside. F*cking hell - Jackman is really going for blooding youngsters.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 03, 2018 11:54 am 

Jesus, we're really looking under the sofa cushions for any spare change now.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 03, 2018 11:57 am 

Not Frankie wrote:
Jesus, we're really looking under the sofa cushions for any spare change now.

Yeah, but what a team we'll have in 2025 with 100s of appearances between them and still only 25! :lol: :lol: :lol:

PostPosted: Wed Jan 03, 2018 1:42 pm 

penguin wrote:
Dragons team for Scarlets is going to feature Taine Basham apparently - an 18 year old openside. F*cking hell - Jackman is really going for blooding youngsters.

We'll have a 19 year old wing, but not a wing forward. That's really pushing it. We should (fairly) target him constantly.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 03, 2018 3:14 pm 

And rightly so. He's going to have a tough afternoon the poor sod.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 03, 2018 3:54 pm 

when is Ollie Griffiths back? - in time for a crack at the 6N squad?

PostPosted: Wed Jan 03, 2018 3:58 pm 

P in VG wrote:

He's had surgery I think - 8 weeks, and got injured back in mid December. May be able to play some part in the Six Nations but he'll only just be back so you'd think others will get selected, and he might get a crack later on if there are injuries in the squad.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 03, 2018 4:10 pm 

penguin wrote:
P in VG wrote:

He's had surgery I think - 8 weeks, and got injured back in mid December. May be able to play some part in the Six Nations but he'll only just be back so you'd think others will get selected, and he might get a crack later on if there are injuries in the squad.

That's a shame - he's been injured at inopportune times with regards to selection for Wales.

Hopefully Moriarty will be back in time & with Ellis Jenkins making a return last weekend - we should just about scrape a back-row together

PostPosted: Wed Jan 03, 2018 4:36 pm 

P in VG wrote:
penguin wrote:
P in VG wrote:

That's a shame - he's been injured at inopportune times with regards to selection for Wales.

Hopefully Moriarty will be back in time & with Ellis Jenkins making a return last weekend - we should just about scrape a back-row together

I imagine Navidi is the likeliest option if Moriarty doesn't make it back. I think there are a few 7s we could try there - Thomas Young, James Davies, even Tipuric...like Navidi, rely on pace more than pure power. Not ideal but considering the dearth of 8s behind Faletau and Moriarty might have to be the way to go.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 03, 2018 4:59 pm 

penguin wrote:
P in VG wrote:
penguin wrote:
P in VG wrote:

I imagine Navidi is the likeliest option if Moriarty doesn't make it back. I think there are a few 7s we could try there - Thomas Young, James Davies, even Tipuric...like Navidi, rely on pace more than pure power. Not ideal but considering the dearth of 8s behind Faletau and Moriarty might have to be the way to go.

even Tipuric? Surely he is first choice with or without Sam being available?

PostPosted: Wed Jan 03, 2018 5:05 pm 

LandOTurk wrote:
penguin wrote:
P in VG wrote:
penguin wrote:
P in VG wrote:

even Tipuric? Surely he is first choice with or without Sam being available?

I'm talking about at 8. He's definitely first choice 7 now, but with Faletau definitely and Moriarty probably out, that leaves Navidi. Baker and King also injured, so the list of 8s is pretty damn short. So I'm thinking that after Navidi the next choice is probably another 7.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 03, 2018 5:10 pm 

So what are the options? It's 8 and 6 that worry me. Assuming no Toby, Moriarty, Warbs or Ollie Griffiths.

#8 Navidi
#7 Tips, Ellis, Young, Cubby
#6 Shingler

Who am I missing at #6? Cracknell, King, Turnbull - x(

I hope Gats ditches the Sam Cross experiment for now.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 03, 2018 5:17 pm 

LandOTurk wrote:
So what are the options? It's 8 and 6 that worry me. Assuming no Toby, Moriarty, Warbs or Ollie Griffiths.

#8 Navidi
#6 Shingler

Yeah, Cross may prove reasonable in time, but that was a hell of a stretch based off one game.

King still injured I think.

Macleod and Boyde could probably be thrown into the mix too as outside bets. Obviously injury dependent, but as things appear to stand I think Shingler, Tips, Navidi. I'd like to see Thomas Young in as well. Shame we didn't get a chance to see more of him in the Autumn.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 03, 2018 7:56 pm 

penguin wrote:
LandOTurk wrote:

#8 Navidi
#6 Shingler

Yeah, Cross may prove reasonable in time, but that was a hell of a stretch based off one game.

Macleod and Boyde could probably be thrown into the mix too as outside bets. Obviously injury dependent, but as things appear to stand I think Shingler, Tips, Navidi. I'd like to see Thomas Young in as well. Shame we didn't get a chance to see more of him in the Autumn.

Boyde can defo come in as he can play in all 3 positions and Cracknell is an option at 6. It's lock, TH, centre and wing we really struggle with :|

PostPosted: Wed Jan 03, 2018 9:22 pm 

Frodder wrote:
penguin wrote:
LandOTurk wrote:

#8 Navidi
#6 Shingler

Boyde can defo come in as he can play in all 3 positions and Cracknell is an option at 6. It's lock, TH, centre and wing we really struggle with :|

Boyde and Macleod are just breaking through in the Scarlets. Let's leave them develop first. Much too soon. Not even sure if they are international class yet. Boyde is pretty small really. When a good big 'un comes up against a good small 'un etc....

PostPosted: Wed Jan 03, 2018 9:44 pm 

North is perma crocked. So glad he is coming back. Please let's just manage him properly wherever he goes

PostPosted: Wed Jan 03, 2018 11:03 pm 

penguin wrote:

That is a big game, hope the lad takes the opportunity and surprises us all.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 03, 2018 11:22 pm 

bessantj wrote:
penguin wrote:

That is a big game, hope the lad takes the opportunity and surprises us all.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 03, 2018 11:42 pm 

Hope is a good word to use. Just checked his stats. Sub 6 foot and will be one of the lightest players on the field according to the stats. Could get ugly...lets hope he puts in a good account of himself.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 04, 2018 8:40 am 

So with North (serious changes required for him) and Amos unlikely to start the 6N who are our back 3 plus back ups?

Sanjay, 1/2p (not convinced), Evans then we start to go into:

Tried before
Tom James
Cuthberto (please no)
Prydie

Not tried yet
Adams
Hewitt
Lane

Won't be tried
Dan Evans

Are they crocked?
Giles

Perma crocked
Walker

PostPosted: Thu Jan 04, 2018 10:29 am 

Prydie played the best game I've seen from him last time...but I still think there are better options. I'd love to see Ashton Hewitt given a go, genuine gas. Adams would be interesting considering his form, but I think we all know they will select Cuthbert...won't they? He's barely played, and when he has he's been unspectacular (although his one impact on the last game was to run it into touch, so he's not lost his reverse-midas touch completely). By his standards unspectacular is a step up from when he couldn't get dropped from the team, so I reckon he'll be there or thereabouts.

I'd leave Lane for now - similar to what LandOTurk was saying about Boyde and Macleod - let him develop. Another example of why an A team can be useful.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 04, 2018 1:54 pm 

Yes, it was particularly pleasing for the NYE game. We're attacking and looking good for it watching the Cuthbert take the ball, run towards the touch line then make no attempt whatsoever to stay in play - priceless

I see why he keeps getting picked as he's so consistent these days

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 11276 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 231, 232, 233, 234, 235, 236, 237 ... 282  Next