Chat Forum
It is currently Sat Nov 17, 2018 5:28 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 12472 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 246, 247, 248, 249, 250, 251, 252 ... 312  Next
PostPosted: Tue Feb 06, 2018 8:28 am 

New guy wrote:
bessantj wrote:
Ah bollocks I saw Jeff's post and thought we could finally embed youtube videos. Though having looked at a highlights vid anyone feel that some of our backs are a bit slow?

Completely unscientific speed measurements of our backs;

Gareth Davies: Very quick over short distances
Patchell: Deceptively quick
Scott Williams: Average
Parkes: Slow
Steff: Slow for a winger
Adam's: f**king rapid
Halfpenny: Running in treacle/10

Is Steff slow for a winger? 1/2p used to be quick and a deceptive runner - wtf happened?

PostPosted: Tue Feb 06, 2018 9:07 am 

Frodder wrote:
New guy wrote:
bessantj wrote:
Ah bollocks I saw Jeff's post and thought we could finally embed youtube videos. Though having looked at a highlights vid anyone feel that some of our backs are a bit slow?

Is Steff slow for a winger? 1/2p used to be quick and a deceptive runner - wtf happened?

I was somewhat disappointed with Adams who got caught when put totally clear. They talk about the opposition having the angle, but as any fool knows (well, any fool that knows Pythagoras), the Sweatie had to cover the further distance. I would have expected a World Class winger with speed to have done the defender in that position.

Now that may mean that Adams is just international class, and given that we've had to deal with Fulffbert for so long...that's just fine by me.

P.S. I actually reckon Parkes is quicker that Scott Williams these days.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 06, 2018 9:10 am 

Frodder wrote:
New guy wrote:
bessantj wrote:

Yeah maybe not, maybe average for a winger.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 06, 2018 10:36 am 

Jeff the Bear wrote:
Frodder wrote:
New guy wrote:
bessantj wrote:

I was somewhat disappointed with Adams who got caught when put totally clear. They talk about the opposition having the angle, but as any fool knows (well, any fool that knows Pythagoras), the Sweatie had to cover the further distance. I would have expected a World Class winger with speed to have done the defender in that position.

Now that may mean that Adams is just international class, and given that we've had to deal with Fulffbert for so long...that's just fine by me.

Adams getting caught by McGuigan made me question the pace of our backs. I know Adams wasn't going at full speed when he got the ball (Another problem Wales seem to have.) and McGuigan was already approaching top speed but as you say McGuigan had a lot of ground to cover and Adams should have been away.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 06, 2018 11:11 am 

bessantj wrote:
Jeff the Bear wrote:
Frodder wrote:
New guy wrote:
bessantj wrote:

Adams getting caught by McGuigan made me question the pace of our backs. I know Adams wasn't going at full speed when he got the ball (Another problem Wales seem to have.) and McGuigan was already approaching top speed but as you say McGuigan had a lot of ground to cover and Adams should have been away.

He's waiting to come back

PostPosted: Tue Feb 06, 2018 12:52 pm 

cubby boi wrote:
penguin wrote:
Just looking at the ESPN stats and Ken Owens was quiet. 2 passes, 3 runs for 0 metres, 7 tackles, 1 missed. He's been in excellent form - bit surprising that in a game like that we didn't see more of him.

Certainly looked a quiet game from him to me

He more than pulled his weight in an excellent lineout. Yes, it would be nice to have him being a fourth backrow at times, but it wasn't necessary due to the heroic efforts of the rest of the pack with ball in hand. He doesn't tend to have many quiet games, so I'd suggest this is a momentary blip.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 06, 2018 1:01 pm 

Wales announce team to face England
Wales: Leigh Halfpenny; Josh Adams, Scott Williams, Hadleigh Parkes, Steff Evans; Rhys Patchell, Gareth Davies; Rob Evans, Ken Owens, Samson Lee; Cory Hill, Alun Wyn Jones; Aaron Shingler, Josh Navidi, Ross Moriarty.

Reps: Elliot Dee, Wyn Jones, Tomas Francis, Bradley Davies, Justin Tipuric, Aled Davies, Gareth Anscombe, George North.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 06, 2018 1:01 pm 

Almost same team - just North on bench for Watkin.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 06, 2018 1:04 pm 

A bit early in the week to name the team, no?

PostPosted: Tue Feb 06, 2018 1:10 pm 

Pleased to see the same team being named :thumbup:

PostPosted: Tue Feb 06, 2018 1:15 pm 

Rugby2023 wrote:
A bit early in the week to name the team, no?

Named it the same day last week as well. Guess Gatland is secure in what his team is going to be.

Agree with P in VG it's good to see the same team being named, England is going to be such a massive test for these guys.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 06, 2018 1:40 pm 

penguin wrote:
Wales: Leigh Halfpenny; Josh Adams, Scott Williams, Hadleigh Parkes, Steff Evans; Rhys Patchell, Gareth Davies; Rob Evans, Ken Owens, Samson Lee; Cory Hill, Alun Wyn Jones; Aaron Shingler, Josh Navidi, Ross Moriarty.

Reps: Elliot Dee, Wyn Jones, Tomas Francis, Bradley Davies, Justin Tipuric, Aled Davies, Gareth Anscombe, George North.

Looks weak etc...

PostPosted: Tue Feb 06, 2018 4:11 pm 

c69 wrote:
penguin wrote:

Looks weak etc...

Saes by 15

PostPosted: Wed Feb 07, 2018 4:07 pm 

Under 20 team

1. R Carre
2. I Harris
3. R Henry
4. J Pope
5. M Williams
6. T Reffell
7. D Davis
8. M Morris
9. H Morgan
10. C Evans
11. R Conbeer
12. B Thomas
13. C Carson
14. R Dyer
15. C Penny

16. W Griffiths
17. J Reynolds
18. S Wainwright
19. M Jones
20. T Basham
21. A Hemmings
22. M Llewellyn
23. T Lewis

PostPosted: Wed Feb 07, 2018 4:13 pm 

What's happened to Cai Evans & Corey Baldwin? - thought they went well last week (especially Baldwin)

PostPosted: Wed Feb 07, 2018 4:15 pm 

P in VG wrote:
What's happened to Cai Evans & Corey Baldwin? - thought they went well last week (especially Baldwin)

Cai Evans at 10, Baldwin rotated out...

PostPosted: Wed Feb 07, 2018 4:16 pm 

P in VG wrote:

I’d guess they’ve been pulled out for regional action this weekend, as it’s back to pro 14

PostPosted: Wed Feb 07, 2018 4:20 pm 

penguin wrote:
P in VG wrote:

Cai Evans at 10, Baldwin rotated out...

That reminds me - I need to book that eye test! :blush:

PostPosted: Wed Feb 07, 2018 4:40 pm 

So we have Cai Evans at 10 - quick, winger's pace, Conbeer and Rio Dyer on the wing, Dyer is a pure speedster, and Tomi Lewis on the bench...should be fun if we get the ball in open spaces.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 08, 2018 11:01 am 

England team to face Wales: Brown; Watson, Joseph, Farrell, May; Ford, Care; M Vunipola, Hartley, Cole, Launchbury, Itoje, Lawes, Robshaw, Simmonds.

Replacements: George, Hepburn, Williams, Kruis, Underhill, Wigglesworth, Te'o, Nowell

They’ve gone for Joseph, we’ve had trouble with him in the past...... and Care has always scared me, I still believe he’s a much bigger threat than Youngs.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 08, 2018 11:47 am 

Yeah, Te'o is a good player, but you'd fancy Scott Williams to be able to front up to the physical challenge better than the pace of Joseph. If England can do what Scotland couldn't and tie in our forwards, then the 13 channel becomes far more exploitable...I worried about Huw Jones doing that to Scott, but Townsend played him at 12 and then Scotland didn't play well enough to hurt us there. Joseph, Watson and May are all lightning, and quicker than their opposite numbers this week, so unless we get parity up front it's going to be tough in those wider channels.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 08, 2018 12:59 pm 

penguin wrote:
Yeah, Te'o is a good player, but you'd fancy Scott Williams to be able to front up to the physical challenge better than the pace of Joseph. If England can do what Scotland couldn't and tie in our forwards, then the 13 channel becomes far more exploitable...I worried about Huw Jones doing that to Scott, but Townsend played him at 12 and then Scotland didn't play well enough to hurt us there. Joseph, Watson and May are all lightning, and quicker than their opposite numbers this week, so unless we get parity up front it's going to be tough in those wider channels.

Whilst the 13 channel is a concern (our centres are both quite slow) - i take heart from the Scarlets performance against Bath, a team with Joseph & Watson in the backline & don't remember it being an issue that day.

Im actually quietly confident about Saturday (famous last words ;) ) England start as favourites of course - but I'd fancy the Scarlets against any of the English sides at the moment, so whilst i appreciate that international rugby is another step up, we have reason to hope at least - especially on the back of last weeks performance.

The key will be to get at least parity upfront - if England start to rumble, they've got the backs to really capitilise on momentum. However if we hold our own and win some of the collisions (and our backrow play to their potential) - we've got the game to hurt them as well. Hope we start well & kick on from there

PostPosted: Thu Feb 08, 2018 1:10 pm 

P in VG wrote:
penguin wrote:

Whilst the 13 channel is a concern (our centres are both quite slow) - i take heart from the Scarlets performance against Bath, a team with Joseph & Watson in the backline & don't remember it being an issue that day.

Im actually quietly confident about Saturday (famous last words ;) ) England start as favourites of course - but I'd fancy the Scarlets against any of the English sides at the moment, so whilst i appreciate that international rugby is another step up, we have reason to hope at least - especially on the back of last weeks performance.

The key will be to get at least parity upfront - if England start to rumble, they've got the backs to really capitilise on momentum. However if we hold our own and win some of the collisions (and our backrow play to their potential) - we've got the game to hurt them as well. Hope we start well & kick on from there

I don't mean to sound all doom and gloom - I think we have a shot, because I think we have a strong pack and a style of play that can trouble them - but, among my concerns, Twickenham has been something of a fortress the last year or two so home advantage is a sizable factor, with Lawes and Itoje, our lineout is going to come under more pressure than most recent games, we lack pace as I mention in some areas...at least in comparison to them...and last week has perhaps created over-confidence in playing fast, so intercepts and handling errors might become issues, as it seems it will rain.

Lots of question marks, but I'm excited, and I hope to see more of the dynamic style this week.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 08, 2018 1:24 pm 

P in VG wrote:
penguin wrote:

Watson made a fizzing run early on in that game mind.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 08, 2018 1:44 pm 

Was just looking at pack weights, as listed by the respective union sites, and Wales supposedly weigh about a stone more. Interesting as, with perhaps the exception of Samson Lee, I think of our pack as being quite mobile.

Also, Dragons team to face Glasgow;

Dragons: H Amos, A Warren, T Morgan, J Dixon, J Rosser, Z Kirchner, D Babos, S Hobbs, L Belcher, L Fairbrother, J Davies, R Landman, A Wainwright, J Benjamin, H Keddie (captain). Replacements: E Shipp, G Ellis, L Brown, H Williams, L Greggains, S Pretorius, G Henson, J Sage.

Leon Brown finally back.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 08, 2018 1:46 pm 

That's a pretty satisfying Dragons team, not sure if they have the spoons to beat Glasgow but hopefully they'll give them a good game. Has Keddie been captain before?

PostPosted: Thu Feb 08, 2018 3:07 pm 

bessantj wrote:
That's a pretty satisfying Dragons team, not sure if they have the spoons to beat Glasgow but hopefully they'll give them a good game. Has Keddie been captain before?

Bit worried about Ellis as the replacement loosehead, still very green there, but it's a decent pack and the backline looks a lot better with Tyler Morgan and Amos back. Would have been good to see Ashton Hewitt on the wing rather than Warren, and still want to see Calvin Wellington in action, so disappointed he's not featuring.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 08, 2018 3:11 pm 

penguin wrote:
bessantj wrote:

Bit worried about Ellis as the replacement loosehead, still very green there, but it's a decent pack and the backline looks a lot better with Tyler Morgan and Amos back. Would have been good to see Ashton Hewitt on the wing rather than Warren, and still want to see Calvin Wellington in action, so disappointed he's not featuring.

They do seem to be bringing on Wellington slowly. It's nice to see Amos, Morgan, Dixon and Babos in the backline.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 08, 2018 3:33 pm 

Now now, I hope you boys aren't sticking the boot into Wellington?... I'll get my coat.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 08, 2018 3:39 pm 

Not Frankie wrote:
Now now, I hope you boys aren't sticking the boot into Wellington?... I'll get my coat.

Blackadder wrote:
"From the Supreme Commander, Allied Forces Europe. Sir, Prince or pauper, when a man soils a Wellington he puts his foot in it. P.S: This is not a joke. I do not find my name remotely funny, and people who do end up dead. Close bracket. I challenge you to a duel tonight at 18 hundred hours in which you will die. Yours with sincere apologies for your impending violent slaughter, Arthur Wellesey, Duke of Wellington."

PostPosted: Thu Feb 08, 2018 3:46 pm 

Well, they've certainly talked up his pace, and at 6'3 he's got a bit of beef, Wellington...but he's raw, and we don't want him coming in undercooked. Better to give him plenty of time, and when he's ready he'll be golden.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 08, 2018 3:54 pm 

Taking us away from the beef related puns and onto something a little more serious.

Check this out please.

It's a Welsh Government consultation regarding abortion provisions for Northern Irelanders, it's ending on the 9th February.

If you get a chance, have a look through and please make your voice heard, you knows the score (Henry, obviously you'll have to sit this one out ;) ).

PostPosted: Thu Feb 08, 2018 4:13 pm 

The Ospreys team to play Connacht at the Sportsground on Friday 9th February 2018, 7.35pm KO is as follows:

15 Dan Evans

14 Hanno Dirksen

13 Kieron Fonotia

12 Ashley Beck

11 Dafydd Howells

10 Sam Davies

9 Tom Habberfield

1 Rhodri Jones

2 Scott Otten

3 Dmitri Arhip

4 Lloyd Ashley

5 James King

6 Olly Cracknell

7 Will Jones

8 Rob McCusker (Capt)

REPLACEMENTS

16 Sam Parry

17 Nicky Smith

18 Ma’afu Fia

19 Guy Mercer

20 Sam Cross

21 Reuben Morgan-Williams

22 Luke Price

23 Joe Thomas

Rhodri Jones at 1 again. I noticed in last weeks game against Bath, Duncan Jones was on the field with the water bottle, advising him on his grip on his opponent. (Duncan being forwards coach to the AW team.)

PostPosted: Thu Feb 08, 2018 5:16 pm 

Very happy to see Rhodri Jones back at loosehead. I think he can be a useful welsh squad member playing 1. He's got Rob Evans, Wyn Jones and Nicky Smith ahead of him, but can't see Gethin getting back into the team, so any injury and there is a place there for someone. Who else is he up against? Rhys Gill? Paul James? Domachowski? He must be around the chasing pack considering he was picked often for the welsh squad at tighthead when he couldn't get a game at regional level. They must like him.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 08, 2018 6:37 pm 

Sam Cross hasn't left the O's then?

PostPosted: Thu Feb 08, 2018 10:28 pm 

Weather looks shizen Saturday :((

PostPosted: Fri Feb 09, 2018 9:19 pm 

Amos has been fṷcking great for the Dragons he has cut Glasgow apart a couple of times and Babos has been running in support of him a couple of times as well great to see. If the Dragons hadn't kept falling off first tackles and had half a brain at the breakdown they'd be winning. 15-15 at the half.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 09, 2018 9:31 pm 

Leon Brown is coming on for the second half, the Dragons props have been a bit behind this game. I think Tyler Morgan had a HIA, but he's out for the second half. With any luck the Dragons will do something good here as I have to go out and miss the second half :(

PostPosted: Fri Feb 09, 2018 10:31 pm 

penguin wrote:
Very happy to see Rhodri Jones back at loosehead. I think he can be a useful welsh squad member playing 1. He's got Rob Evans, Wyn Jones and Nicky Smith ahead of him, but can't see Gethin getting back into the team, so any injury and there is a place there for someone. Who else is he up against? Rhys Gill? Paul James? Domachowski? He must be around the chasing pack considering he was picked often for the welsh squad at tighthead when he couldn't get a game at regional level. They must like him.

Agree. Hw is he doing? Will need a few games probably before we can tell.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 09, 2018 10:35 pm 

Edin 29-24 Leinster FT
Good for the Scarlets that.
But Leinster do pick up 2 BPs.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 12472 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 246, 247, 248, 249, 250, 251, 252 ... 312  Next