Chat Forum
It is currently Sun Oct 20, 2019 10:00 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 106 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next
Author Message
PostPosted: Sat Sep 22, 2018 4:22 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sun Sep 16, 2012 5:34 am
Posts: 16787
In trying to find new music to like I stumbled on to classical. Ironically it's new to me though I've heard them in movies/radio/commercials etc but never took notice.

Anyway
Vilvaldi - Spring

https://youtu.be/l-dYNttdgl0

Tchaikovsky Piano Concerto
https://youtu.be/BWerj8FcprM

Mainly the first parts.
Enjoy


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sat Sep 22, 2018 4:44 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 1:44 pm
Posts: 36181
Location: For Wales the Welsh and Leinster
'Cakewalk' by Claude Debussy


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sat Sep 22, 2018 4:57 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sun Sep 16, 2012 5:34 am
Posts: 16787
Very nice.
Although I just googled top classical music and went through the list.
Edvard Grieg - Peer Gynt - Morning Mood
https://youtu.be/-rh8gMvzPw0


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sat Sep 22, 2018 5:00 pm 
Online
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 24299
Faure's Requiem. My mother's favourite composer is Saint-Saens and he taught Faure. I discovered that years later so it is probably no surprise my ears like him. I mainly like the modern fellas though like Arvo Part but Reich is my favourite. Try his most famous one Music for 18 Musicians


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sat Sep 22, 2018 5:03 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 9380
Location: Sunny London
I really like easy listening classical music. These are some of my favourites

Holst - Jupiter (best part is from 3:06)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3B49N46I39Y

JS Bach - Air on G
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GMkmQlfOJDk

JS Bach - Jesu, Joy of Man's Desiring
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pvw9KJUPW8U

Pachelbel - Canon in D
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PkSp8wc8lKw

Elgar - Nimrod
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sUgoBb8m1eE

Vaughan Williams - The Lark Ascending
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZR2JlDnT2l8

Vaughan Williams - Fantasia on Greensleeves
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ak85S5KZoKE

I also like a lot of Celitic music and general relaxing music. Listen to Classic FM here in the UK.


Last edited by TranceNRG on Sat Sep 22, 2018 5:09 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sat Sep 22, 2018 5:04 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 11338
Location: Europe
on quiet nights i like to put on some erik satie gnossiennes no. 1 and cry

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5pyhBJzuixM&t=1478s


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sat Sep 22, 2018 5:07 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sun Sep 16, 2012 5:34 am
Posts: 16787
Beethoven Symphony 9
Err .. the best part :lol:
https://youtu.be/oWSP8egxlW0


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sat Sep 22, 2018 5:08 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sun Sep 16, 2012 5:34 am
Posts: 16787
EverReady wrote:
Faure's Requiem. My mother's favourite composer is Saint-Saens and he taught Faure. I discovered that years later so it is probably no surprise my ears like him. I mainly like the modern fellas though like Arvo Part but Reich is my favourite. Try his most famous one Music for 18 Musicians

Haven't got to the modern guys yet but will add to my Playlist


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sat Sep 22, 2018 5:15 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 13708
Location: South Oxfordshire
Sibelius - Finlandia. Quite a long way from being easy listening though.
https://youtu.be/F5zg_af9b8c

Copeland - Fanfare for the Common Man
https://youtu.be/4NjssV8UuVA

Stravinsky - The Rite of Spring
https://youtu.be/rq1q6u3mLSM

Just off the top of my head


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sat Sep 22, 2018 5:16 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sun Sep 16, 2012 5:34 am
Posts: 16787
TranceNRG wrote:
I really like easy listening classical music. These are some of my favourites

Holst - Jupiter (best part is from 3:06)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3B49N46I39Y

JS Bach - Air on G
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GMkmQlfOJDk

JS Bach - Jesu, Joy of Man's Desiring
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pvw9KJUPW8U

Pachelbel - Canon in D
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PkSp8wc8lKw

Elgar - Nimrod
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sUgoBb8m1eE

Vaughan Williams - The Lark Ascending
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZR2JlDnT2l8

Vaughan Williams - Fantasia on Greensleeves
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ak85S5KZoKE

I also like a lot of Celitic music and general relaxing music. Listen to Classic FM here in the UK.

:thumbup:


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sat Sep 22, 2018 5:21 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 2965
CrazyIslander wrote:
Beethoven Symphony 9
Err .. the best part :lol:
https://youtu.be/oWSP8egxlW0


It's the most famous part, but probably the worst movement in the symphony.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sat Sep 22, 2018 5:23 pm 
Online

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 17547
Has to be Bach fugue d- toccata (aka the rollerball theme)

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=ipzR9bhei_o

Followed by some Rachimoff or Holst ‘the planets’

Anything minor key that has church organs in or violins and shit, am all over.
Most brass and wind instruments leave me unmoved.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sat Sep 22, 2018 5:24 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sun Sep 16, 2012 5:34 am
Posts: 16787
Dobbin wrote:
CrazyIslander wrote:
Beethoven Symphony 9
Err .. the best part :lol:
https://youtu.be/oWSP8egxlW0


It's the most famous part, but probably the worst movement in the symphony.

What do mean by "worse movement"?


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sat Sep 22, 2018 5:26 pm 
Offline

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 33792
Location: Dublin
Dvorak - New World Symphony 4th Movement

Brilliant piece of music.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vHqtJH2f1Yk


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sat Sep 22, 2018 5:30 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 2965
CrazyIslander wrote:
Dobbin wrote:
CrazyIslander wrote:
Beethoven Symphony 9
Err .. the best part :lol:
https://youtu.be/oWSP8egxlW0


It's the most famous part, but probably the worst movement in the symphony.

What do mean by "worse movement"?


The symphony has four movements (sections). The Ode to Joy part isn't as good as the other three (imho), and that has nothing to do with it being the Euro anthem


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sat Sep 22, 2018 5:33 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sun Sep 16, 2012 5:34 am
Posts: 16787
Dobbin wrote:
CrazyIslander wrote:
Dobbin wrote:
CrazyIslander wrote:
Beethoven Symphony 9
Err .. the best part :lol:
https://youtu.be/oWSP8egxlW0


It's the most famous part, but probably the worst movement in the symphony.

What do mean by "worse movement"?


The symphony has four movements (sections). The Ode to Joy part isn't as good as the other three (imho), and that has nothing to do with it being the Euro anthem

I see, I havent listened to the whole thing tbh. I'm stuck in the pop song time frame.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sat Sep 22, 2018 5:43 pm 
Offline

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 647
Schubert quartet "Death and the Maiden"
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=otdayisyIiM

Cantique de Jean Racine
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pB_3rG7KZyU

Mozart clarinet concerto
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YT_63UntRJE

Beethoven Appassionata Sonata
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eoIkpHCDlkg


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sat Sep 22, 2018 6:01 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 4588
Dobbin wrote:
CrazyIslander wrote:
Dobbin wrote:
CrazyIslander wrote:
Beethoven Symphony 9
Err .. the best part :lol:
https://youtu.be/oWSP8egxlW0


It's the most famous part, but probably the worst movement in the symphony.

What do mean by "worse movement"?


The symphony has four movements (sections). The Ode to Joy part isn't as good as the other three (imho), and that has nothing to do with it being the Euro anthem


cut the guy a break !, he was deaf as a post at that stage ... :x


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sat Sep 22, 2018 6:36 pm 
Offline

Joined: Fri Mar 09, 2018 11:18 pm
Posts: 814
Shostakovich string quartet number 8
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=tby5aMrMu6Q

Philip Glass Einstein on the Beach
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=TJ2H1Ipr9FA
(Just an excerpt, the whole thing is five hours long)

Poulenc Double Piano Concerto
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=9OiYX8bcJH0

Poulenc Dialogue of the Carmelites act4
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=5zIVNSJNLno
(That’s the Salve Regina from the very end)

Shostakovich Piano Concerto no 2
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=JlMHjo7Jwhk
(That’s the second movement)

Rachmaninov Vespers
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=U2NSfTXjEPI

Handel Theodora
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=SpX-RSblVVw
(That’s the aria ‘With Darkness Deep As Is My Woe’ that Theodora sings in prison while she’s waiting to be gang raped by the guards)

Mozart Piano Concerto no 23
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=BMYjGkgzinU

That’s off the top of my head. I’d probably come up with a different list tomorrow.


Last edited by Biffer29 on Sat Sep 22, 2018 6:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sat Sep 22, 2018 6:43 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 377
Gabriel’s oboe - Morricone


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sat Sep 22, 2018 6:44 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 7427
Not really in tone (ahem) with the thread but it also counts as classical music I think
Overplayed piece but I love these two women's version of the flower duet

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C1ZL5AxmK_A


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sat Sep 22, 2018 6:50 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 17849
Location: Centre of the Universe
iarmhiman wrote:
Dvorak - New World Symphony 4th Movement

Brilliant piece of music.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vHqtJH2f1Yk


My vote! :thumbup:


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sat Sep 22, 2018 6:53 pm 
Online

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 17547
Nieghorn wrote:
iarmhiman wrote:
Dvorak - New World Symphony 4th Movement

Brilliant piece of music.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vHqtJH2f1Yk


My vote! :thumbup:


Conductors really look like spazzing cûnts don’t they !


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sat Sep 22, 2018 6:55 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 17849
Location: Centre of the Universe
Woddy wrote:
Gabriel’s oboe - Morricone


:thumbup:

Other film scores I love:

Zimmer’s “Thin Red Line”. Edelman/Jones’ “Last of the Mohicans”. Horner’s “Glory”.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sat Sep 22, 2018 7:02 pm 
Offline

Joined: Fri Mar 09, 2018 11:18 pm
Posts: 814
I’ll keep chucking things in

Dvorak Song to the Moon from Rusalka
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=JHM3zMBQxTQ


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sat Sep 22, 2018 7:11 pm 
Online
User avatar

Joined: Fri Feb 24, 2012 7:19 pm
Posts: 2576
Location: Capital of Mercia
Lark Ascending every time for me.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sat Sep 22, 2018 7:17 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 2937
Bruch Violin concertos.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sat Sep 22, 2018 7:24 pm 
Offline

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 5204
Ravels Bolero.

Can't hear it without seeing Torvill and Dean sliding around the ice.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dZDiaRZy0Ak

Interesting that the conductor had been criticised for not using a baton, so he used a toothpick this time to piss off the critics.


Last edited by obelixtim on Sat Sep 22, 2018 7:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sat Sep 22, 2018 7:26 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 32725
Bruckner, von Karajan:

https://youtu.be/asJf3KmAg08


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sat Sep 22, 2018 7:29 pm 
Online
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 22439
Pietro Mascagni - Silvano: Barcarola

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vEhSUYEXwAk

Holst - Mars (seems all the most epic dark pieces of music borrows from this)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=be7uEyyNIT4

Pachelbel - Canon

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NlprozGcs80

Vaughan Williams - Fantasia on a Theme by Thomas Tallis

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FppYjt6wZJI

Rachmaninov - Concerto for Piano and Orchestra No. 2 in C Minor

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=21z-K5ChWbE

Rossini - William Tell Overture

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xoBE69wdSkQ


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sat Sep 22, 2018 7:31 pm 
Offline

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 21033
I would be interested to know the definition of "classical"

Is it defined by date, instrumentation...what?

I ask because the Wiki definition leads to a lot of the suggestions here being outside of that.


Last edited by Mick Mannock on Sat Sep 22, 2018 7:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sat Sep 22, 2018 7:33 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 4459
Location: Front and centre.
John Cage's 4'33"


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sat Sep 22, 2018 7:37 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 13708
Location: South Oxfordshire
Mick Mannock wrote:
I would be interested to know the definition of "classical"

Is it defined by date, instrumentation...what?


There"s two definitions of classical

The first is the musical history definition. Classical sits between Baroque and Romantic, encompasses Mozart, Beethoven, etc and is roughly 1730 to 1820


The second is as a popular term, generally perceived as Orchestral music or instruments. This is harder to really define although ut's probably easier to say what isn't classical music in this context rather than what us

Edit - just seen your edit. Pretty much everyone on here is using the popular definition. Classical music (the period) was my era of study in my A-level music, but as a term I would only use it with other musicians


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sat Sep 22, 2018 7:45 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 13708
Location: South Oxfordshire
Short Man Syndrome wrote:
John Cage's 4'33"


:lol:

It can be very interesting, but depends on the environment


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sat Sep 22, 2018 7:46 pm 
Online
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 22439
Saint wrote:
Mick Mannock wrote:
I would be interested to know the definition of "classical"

Is it defined by date, instrumentation...what?


There"s two definitions of classical

The first is the musical history definition. Classical sits between Baroque and Romantic, encompasses Mozart, Beethoven, etc and is roughly 1730 to 1820


The second is as a popular term, generally perceived as Orchestral music or instruments. This is harder to really define although ut's probably easier to say what isn't classical music in this context rather than what us


Using the 2nd term, which is what people casually use more frequently, it tends to be quite obvious on hearing it what is classical. If it sounds orchestral or full of orchestral instruments it's classic. From Mozart to John Williams.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sat Sep 22, 2018 7:47 pm 
Offline

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 1531
steve reich electric counterpoint
philip glass evening song


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sat Sep 22, 2018 7:49 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 13708
Location: South Oxfordshire
eldanielfire wrote:
Saint wrote:
Mick Mannock wrote:
I would be interested to know the definition of "classical"

Is it defined by date, instrumentation...what?


There"s two definitions of classical

The first is the musical history definition. Classical sits between Baroque and Romantic, encompasses Mozart, Beethoven, etc and is roughly 1730 to 1820


The second is as a popular term, generally perceived as Orchestral music or instruments. This is harder to really define although ut's probably easier to say what isn't classical music in this context rather than what us


Using the 2nd term, which is what people casually use more frequently, it tends to be quite obvious on hearing it what is classical. If it sounds orchestral or full of orchestral instruments it's classic. From Mozart to John Williams.


Oh yeah, you can hear it. But defining it is tougher.

I would start much earlier though. Definitely Bach (JS) and Vivaldi, and maybe earlier than that. Probably go as far back as plainsong


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sat Sep 22, 2018 7:52 pm 
Online
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 22439
Saint wrote:
eldanielfire wrote:
Saint wrote:
Mick Mannock wrote:
I would be interested to know the definition of "classical"

Is it defined by date, instrumentation...what?


There"s two definitions of classical

The first is the musical history definition. Classical sits between Baroque and Romantic, encompasses Mozart, Beethoven, etc and is roughly 1730 to 1820


The second is as a popular term, generally perceived as Orchestral music or instruments. This is harder to really define although ut's probably easier to say what isn't classical music in this context rather than what us


Using the 2nd term, which is what people casually use more frequently, it tends to be quite obvious on hearing it what is classical. If it sounds orchestral or full of orchestral instruments it's classic. From Mozart to John Williams.


Oh yeah, you can hear it. But defining it is tougher.

I would start much earlier though. Definitely Bach (JS) and Vivaldi, and maybe earlier than that. Probably go as far back as plainsong


The first definition seems strange to me. I agree that the dates don't seem to encompass classic. I mean would Holst's Planet's ever be deemed not classical being written in 1914-1916? For many it's the greatest and most definitive piece of classical music ever written.


Last edited by eldanielfire on Sat Sep 22, 2018 7:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sat Sep 22, 2018 7:53 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 8582
Location: The Fountain of Running Rugby
Image









Quote:
David: New security code 'David 73694-B'.

Voice of 'Mother': Welcome, how may I help you?

David: How about some music, Mother?

Voice of 'Mother': Selection?

David: Richard Wagner - Das Rheingold Act II: The Entry of the Gods into Valhalla.

Voice of 'Mother': Yes, David. As you wish.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sat Sep 22, 2018 7:53 pm 
Offline

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 21033
Saint wrote:
eldanielfire wrote:
Saint wrote:
Mick Mannock wrote:
I would be interested to know the definition of "classical"

Is it defined by date, instrumentation...what?


There"s two definitions of classical

The first is the musical history definition. Classical sits between Baroque and Romantic, encompasses Mozart, Beethoven, etc and is roughly 1730 to 1820


The second is as a popular term, generally perceived as Orchestral music or instruments. This is harder to really define although ut's probably easier to say what isn't classical music in this context rather than what us


Using the 2nd term, which is what people casually use more frequently, it tends to be quite obvious on hearing it what is classical. If it sounds orchestral or full of orchestral instruments it's classic. From Mozart to John Williams.


Oh yeah, you can hear it. But defining it is tougher.

I would start much earlier though. Definitely Bach (JS) and Vivaldi, and maybe earlier than that. Probably go as far back as plainsong


So, is much of Gershwin's work classical?


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 106 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next

All times are UTC [ DST ]


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: 4071, 45jumper, AlanBengio, backrow, beastofbrum, Beaver_Shark, bessantj, bimboman, BlackMac, Blake, BokJock, Boomslang, bw245, CarrotGawks, Clog50Percent, Croft, Derwyn, DiscoHips D'Arcy, doodles.dude, Double, driftwood, DuncanF, easyray, elcamino, eldanielfire, EverReady, farmerdave, Farva, Fiigmo, franch fan, GDBFC99, Ghost-Of-Nepia, grimoald, grubberkick, HighKingLeinster, ihavenopantson, IKUR01, inactionman, Insane_Homer, jamesfreeman, james garner, Jensrsa, korben_dallas, Leffe, Leinsterman, lemonhead, Lobby, Lorthern Nights, Man In Black, ManInTheBar, Marshall Banana, maxbox, mdaclarke, merlin the happy pig, mr bungle, Mr Mike, nardol, Nolanator, Nui., Oxbow, paynie, PCPhil, Peaches, pigaaaa, Plato'sCave, polyallstar, Property, Rhinosaur, RodneyRegis, Ron Kickpass, RoscoPColtrain, Salanya, Sandstorm, Sards, Seez, simon7, slow wing, sockwithaticket, somer, Sonny Blount, Southernscot, Stjudes, Sydvicious, terangi48, The Native, TheSmurf, tonycurrysrightleg, Toro, Toulon's Not Toulouse, Waka Nathan, Wendigo7, Wignu, wsurfa and 1 guest


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group