Chat Forum
It is currently Mon Sep 16, 2019 3:27 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 8030 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 201  Next
Author Message
 Post subject: The Cricket Thread
PostPosted: Thu May 16, 2019 12:02 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 5214
Location: Mzansi
Let's use this as a general cricket thread.


Last edited by Beaver_Shark on Wed Jul 24, 2019 12:37 pm, edited 7 times in total.

Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu May 16, 2019 12:32 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 12624
Good stuff Beaver. Some of the days on that calendar is a bit off, look at the games on 1 June, it's showing as Saturday and Sunday. From there the day do not match the date.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu May 16, 2019 12:38 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 5214
Location: Mzansi
handyman wrote:
Good stuff Beaver. Some of the days on that calendar is a bit off, look at the games on 1 June, it's showing as Saturday and Sunday. From there the day do not match the date.

Yeah, looks wrong. Let me find a better source.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu May 16, 2019 12:52 pm 
Offline

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 3906
Looking foward to this

England should be the favourites and good chance of winning the world cup

Be very surprised if Nz make the semis

My pick for semis

England
Aussies
India
South Africa/ Pakistan/windies- get the feeling the windies will win a few big games this tournament


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu May 16, 2019 12:55 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 12624
brat wrote:
Looking foward to this

England should be the favourites and good chance of winning the world cup

Be very surprised if Nz make the semis

My pick for semis

England
Aussies
India
South Africa/ Pakistan/windies- get the feeling the windies will win a few big games this tournament

England in fantastic form, India a close second but with better BMT. Behind them a lot of teams that are quite evenly matched. Quite rightly there is no hype around South Africa, let's hope we can sneak under the radar and make the semi's.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu May 16, 2019 1:01 pm 
Offline

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 3906
handyman wrote:
brat wrote:
Looking foward to this

England should be the favourites and good chance of winning the world cup

Be very surprised if Nz make the semis

My pick for semis

England
Aussies
India
South Africa/ Pakistan/windies- get the feeling the windies will win a few big games this tournament

England in fantastic form, India a close second but with better BMT. Behind them a lot of teams that are quite evenly matched. Quite rightly there is no hype around South Africa, let's hope we can sneak under the radar and make the semi's.


You guys will be my 2nd team for the cwc- think you deserve some good luck and hopefully go deep into the tournament

Hard not to see England in the final though- unless they choke


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu May 16, 2019 1:05 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 12624
brat wrote:
handyman wrote:
brat wrote:
Looking foward to this

England should be the favourites and good chance of winning the world cup

Be very surprised if Nz make the semis

My pick for semis

England
Aussies
India
South Africa/ Pakistan/windies- get the feeling the windies will win a few big games this tournament

England in fantastic form, India a close second but with better BMT. Behind them a lot of teams that are quite evenly matched. Quite rightly there is no hype around South Africa, let's hope we can sneak under the radar and make the semi's.


You guys will be my 2nd team for the cwc- think you deserve some good luck and hopefully go deep into the tournament

Hard not to see England in the final though- unless they choke

Have to say I always follow the Black Caps in CWC's. They've knocked us out before and some other big teams as well. Always a threat and so much more than the sum of their parts.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu May 16, 2019 1:32 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 8466
Location: The Fountain of Running Rugby
I think Saint mentioned on another thread that if you play England you better pray to the coin Gods that you win the toss and put the plums in to bat 1st, they can chase 350+ no problem


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu May 16, 2019 1:34 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 25204
Location: Chickenrunning...
Got a ticket for SA vs Windies on 10 June :smug:


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu May 16, 2019 1:46 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 5214
Location: Mzansi
The Aussies have serious BMT in these things. They might have been pretty shit for the past 4 years, but I wouldn't be too shocked if they pitch up and do very well.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu May 16, 2019 1:49 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Fri Oct 19, 2018 2:42 pm
Posts: 1383
Can not wait. Will be a lekker festival of cricket, will be great crowds too since all of the teams have expats living in England.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu May 16, 2019 3:19 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 12624
Beaver_Shark wrote:
The Aussies have serious BMT in these things. They might have been pretty shit for the past 4 years, but I wouldn't be too shocked if they pitch up and do very well.

Not sure they have the players this time to pull it off, but like you said, won't be surprised if they manage it. Personally, nothing would please me more than them not making the semi's.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu May 16, 2019 3:31 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 5496
Will 5 from 9 be enough to get to the semis? Maybe 6 from 9 because we may take India. I reckon we'll rack up a big score against England and bowl like arse to lose.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu May 16, 2019 3:49 pm 
Offline

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 2975
Big Nipper wrote:
I think Saint mentioned on another thread that if you play England you better pray to the coin Gods that you win the toss and put the plums in to bat 1st, they can chase 350+ no problem


Your logic is reasonably sound, but don't forget the last time the Crims were over, Eng scored something like 481 batting first. It's a racing cert that England will be all out for under 100 in one of the games, but there's no way of predicting which one it will be.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu May 16, 2019 4:27 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 25204
Location: Chickenrunning...
Fenman wrote:
Big Nipper wrote:
I think Saint mentioned on another thread that if you play England you better pray to the coin Gods that you win the toss and put the plums in to bat 1st, they can chase 350+ no problem


Your logic is reasonably sound, but don't forget the last time the Crims were over, Eng scored something like 481 batting first. It's a racing cert that England will be all out for under 100 in one of the games, but there's no way of predicting which one it will be.


One of the sub-continent teams will spin them out cheaply in that game. :nod:


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu May 16, 2019 6:19 pm 
Offline

Joined: Fri Mar 09, 2018 11:18 pm
Posts: 614
Looking forward to it. Got tickets for

West Indies v New Zealand at Old Trafford(d/n)
South Africa v Sri Lanka at Durham
West Indies v Sri Lanka at Durham
Semifinal at Old Trafford


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu May 16, 2019 6:52 pm 
Offline

Joined: Tue Apr 19, 2016 5:44 pm
Posts: 221
handyman wrote:
Beaver_Shark wrote:
The Aussies have serious BMT in these things. They might have been pretty shit for the past 4 years, but I wouldn't be too shocked if they pitch up and do very well.

Not sure they have the players this time to pull it off, but like you said, won't be surprised if they manage it. Personally, nothing :lol: would please me more than them not making the semi's.


Envy is a very corrosive emotion

5 World Cups with the possibility of a 6th :lol: :lol:


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu May 16, 2019 7:08 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Wed Aug 26, 2015 7:24 am
Posts: 108
Location: Land of milk and honey
bonzaboy wrote:
handyman wrote:
Beaver_Shark wrote:
The Aussies have serious BMT in these things. They might have been pretty shit for the past 4 years, but I wouldn't be too shocked if they pitch up and do very well.

Not sure they have the players this time to pull it off, but like you said, won't be surprised if they manage it. Personally, nothing :lol: would please me more than them not making the semi's.


Envy is a very corrosive emotion

5 World Cups with the possibility of a 6th :lol: :lol:

Don't confuse envy with derision.
The Oz cricketers have shown their true colours to the world.
I think it would be very challenging to be envious of a team of loud mouth cheating plum.
But each to their own, I suppose


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri May 17, 2019 1:17 am 
Offline

Joined: Tue Apr 19, 2016 5:44 pm
Posts: 221
Property wrote:
bonzaboy wrote:
handyman wrote:
Beaver_Shark wrote:
The Aussies have serious BMT in these things. They might have been pretty shit for the past 4 years, but I wouldn't be too shocked if they pitch up and do very well.

Not sure they have the players this time to pull it off, but like you said, won't be surprised if they manage it. Personally, nothing :lol: would please me more than them not making the semi's.


Envy is a very corrosive emotion

5 World Cups with the possibility of a 6th :lol: :lol:

Don't confuse envy with derision.
The Oz cricketers have shown their true colours to the world.
I think it would be very challenging to be envious of a team of loud mouth cheating plum.
But each to their own, I suppose


Cheating? What like Handle Cronje, Faf du Plessis and Herscelle Gibbs did?
The South Africans instructing others in matters of ethics and morality. :lol: :lol: :lol: What a sick joke.
As I said before. 5 World Cups. Maybe a 6th.

Cuts close to the bone doesn't it :lol:


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri May 17, 2019 2:33 am 
Offline

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 2019
bonzaboy wrote:
Property wrote:
bonzaboy wrote:
handyman wrote:
Beaver_Shark wrote:
The Aussies have serious BMT in these things. They might have been pretty shit for the past 4 years, but I wouldn't be too shocked if they pitch up and do very well.

Not sure they have the players this time to pull it off, but like you said, won't be surprised if they manage it. Personally, nothing :lol: would please me more than them not making the semi's.


Envy is a very corrosive emotion

5 World Cups with the possibility of a 6th :lol: :lol:

Don't confuse envy with derision.
The Oz cricketers have shown their true colours to the world.
I think it would be very challenging to be envious of a team of loud mouth cheating plum.
But each to their own, I suppose


Cheating? What like Handle Cronje, Faf du Plessis and Herscelle Gibbs did?
The South Africans instructing others in matters of ethics and morality. :lol: :lol: :lol: What a sick joke.
As I said before. 5 World Cups. Maybe a 6th.

Cuts close to the bone doesn't it :lol:


Serious self-awareness fail. The imperious Aussie cricket team took it upon themselves to draw “the line” on acceptable cricketing behavior for years. That ended well.

Trust me, no South Africans envy a team who, despite their unrivaled historical success, have recently suffered repeated humiliations at the hands of the Proteas, in every format of the game - both home and away, to the extent that they have earned themselves unquestionable bunny status.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri May 17, 2019 5:38 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 5164
Absolutely love the format. No rubbish teams, full round robin. If the weather holds this could be a special world cup.

Boult and Southee could be lethal for NZ if we get some cold, damp mornings...ie New Zealand conditions.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri May 17, 2019 7:16 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 12624
J Man wrote:
Absolutely love the format. No rubbish teams, full round robin. If the weather holds this could be a special world cup.

Boult and Southee could be lethal for NZ if we get some cold, damp mornings...ie New Zealand conditions.

Yes, agree re the format, everyone plays everyone. Might suit South Africa as there is only 2 knockout matches per team.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri May 17, 2019 7:21 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 16872
No rubbish teams?

I see NZ right there pal


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri May 17, 2019 7:23 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sat Apr 27, 2013 11:18 am
Posts: 4636
Location: The Kapiti Coast
nardol wrote:
No rubbish teams?

I see NZ right there pal

A few quality teams sadly missed out.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri May 17, 2019 7:28 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 12028
nardol wrote:
No rubbish teams?

I see NZ right there pal


I’m no rocket surgeon or anything, but didn’t we make the final of this thing last time and are currently ranked 4th in the world?


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri May 17, 2019 8:38 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 19377
Location: Stellenbosch
Pos Team Weighted Matches Points Rating
1 England 41 5,083 124
2 India 47 5,669 121
3 South Africa 39 4,488 115
4 New Zealand 33 3,729 113
5 Australia 40 4,342 109
6 Pakistan 39 3,698 95
7 Bangladesh 33 2,927 89
8 West Indies 38 2,983 79
9 Sri Lanka 43 3,266 76
10 Afghanistan 29 1,870 64
11 Zimbabwe 30 1,609 54
12 Ireland 23 1,016 44
13 Scotland 10 373 37
14 Nepal 8 152 19
15 UAE 15 144 10
16 Papua New Guinea 9 50 6


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri May 17, 2019 8:46 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 19377
Location: Stellenbosch
(Teams were required to submit provisional squads by 23 April - and must finalise them by 22 May. As such, all squads listed here are provisional at this stage.)
Afghanistan
Gulbadin Naib (capt), Mohammad Shahzad (wk), Noor Ali Zadran, Hazratullah Zazai, Rahmat Shah, Asghar Afghan, Hashmatullah Shahidi, Najibullah Zadran, Samiullah Shinwari, Mohammad Nabi, Rashid Khan, Dawlat Zadran, Aftab Alam, Hamid Hassan, Mujeeb Ur Rahman.

Australia
Aaron Finch (capt), Jason Behrendorff, Alex Carey (wk), Nathan Coulter-Nile, Pat Cummins, Usman Khawaja, Nathan Lyon, Shaun Marsh, Glenn Maxwell, *Kane Richardson, Steve Smith, Mitchell Starc, Marcus Stoinis, David Warner, Adam Zampa.

* Kane Richardson replaced Jhye Richardson on 8 May

Bangladesh
Mashrafe Mortaza (capt), Abu Jayed, Liton Das (wk), Mahmudullah, Mehidy Hasan, Mohammad Mithun (wk), Mohammad Saifuddin, Mosaddek Hossain, Mushfiqur Rahim (wk), Mustafizur Rahman, Rubel Hossain, Sabbir Rahman, Shakib Al Hasan, Soumya Sarkar, Tamim Iqbal.

England
Eoin Morgan (capt), Moeen Ali, Jonny Bairstow (wk), Jos Buttler (wk), Tom Curran, Joe Denly, Liam Plunkett, Adil Rashid, Joe Root, Jason Roy, Ben Stokes, David Willey, Chris Woakes, Mark Wood.

* Alex Hales withdrawn from squad on 29 April; replacement yet to be named


India
Virat Kohli (capt), Jasprit Bumrah, Yuzvendra Chahal, Shikhar Dhawan, MS Dhoni (wk), Ravindra Jadeja, Kedar Jadhav, Dinesh Karthik (wk), Bhuvneshwar Kumar, Hardik Pandya, KL Rahul, Mohammed Shami, Vijay Shankar, Rohit Sharma, Kuldeep Yadav.

New Zealand
Kane Williamson (capt), Tom Blundell (wk), Trent Boult, Colin de Grandhomme, Lockie Ferguson, Martin Guptill, Matt Henry, Tom Latham (wk), Colin Munro, Jimmy Neesham, Henry Nicholls, Mitchell Santner, Ish Sodhi, Tim Southee, Ross Taylor.

Pakistan
Sarfaraz Ahmed (capt, wk), Abid Ali, Babar Azam, Faheem Ashraf, Fakhar Zaman, Haris Sohail, Hasan Ali, Imad Wasim, Imam-ul-Haq, Junaid Khan, Mohammad Hafeez, Mohammad Hasnain, Shadab Khan, Shaheen Afridi, Shoaib Malik.

South Africa
Faf du Plessis (capt), Hashim Amla, Quinton de Kock (wk), JP Duminy, Aiden Markram, David Miller, *Chris Morris, Lungi Ngidi, Andile Phehlukwayo, Dwaine Pretorius, Kagiso Rabada, Tabraiz Shamsi, Dale Steyn, Imran Tahir, Rassie van der Dussen.

* Chris Morris replaced Anrich Nortje on 7 May

Sri Lanka
Dimuth Karunaratne (capt), Avishka Fernando, Suranga Lakmal, Lasith Malinga, Angelo Mathews, Jeevan Mendis, Kusal Mendis (wk), Kusal Perera (wk), Thisara Perera, Nuwan Pradeep, Dhananjaya de Silva, Milinda Siriwardana, Lahiru Thirimanne, Isuru Udana, Jeffrey Vandersay.

West Indies
Jason Holder (capt), Fabian Allen, Carlos Brathwaite, Darren Bravo, Sheldon Cottrell, Shannon Gabriel, Chris Gayle, Shimron Hetmyer, Shai Hope (wk), Evin Lewis, Ashley Nurse, Nicholas Pooran, Kemar Roach, Andre Russell, Oshane Thomas.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri May 17, 2019 8:47 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 31511
Location: in transit
naki wrote:
nardol wrote:
No rubbish teams?

I see NZ right there pal


I’m no rocket surgeon or anything, but didn’t we make the final of this thing last time and are currently ranked 4th in the world?


You can whang Nardol around the head with logic like that all day long and get nowhere.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri May 17, 2019 9:36 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Thu Jun 11, 2015 12:51 pm
Posts: 1872
Cricket is the example of what rugby could become if World Rugby goes down the wrong path: a stale, closed-shop niche event where the same teams play each other over and over again.

This is the first time in ages I couldn't care less about the CWC - used to follow it avidly but the 10-team format and exclusion of teams like Ireland, Scotland and The Netherlands has just killed it for me.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri May 17, 2019 9:42 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jul 30, 2013 8:57 pm
Posts: 10186
clydecloggie wrote:
Cricket is the example of what rugby could become if World Rugby goes down the wrong path: a stale, closed-shop niche event where the same teams play each other over and over again.

This is the first time in ages I couldn't care less about the CWC - used to follow it avidly but the 10-team format and exclusion of teams like Ireland, Scotland and The Netherlands has just killed it for me.


I hate to break this to you, but international rugby has already reached this point. The teams that England play this year will be pretty much the same as the ones they played last year (give or take a couple of differences). And it was pretty much the same the year before. And the year before that. And the year before that. And every year for the 15 years before that. World cups sometimes add a couple of new teams to the mix, but honestly does playing Uruguay or Namibia really make any difference.

By contrast, there is far more variation in the teams that England play at cricket each year.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri May 17, 2019 10:09 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 17487
Location: End of the road, turn right and first house on the left
Tom Latham (wk) has injured a finger in the warm-up games played in Oz - there was talk on radio Sport this morning that he may not make the squad.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri May 17, 2019 10:22 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sat Apr 27, 2013 11:18 am
Posts: 4636
Location: The Kapiti Coast
Enzedder wrote:
Tom Latham (wk) has injured a finger in the warm-up games played in Oz - there was talk on radio Sport this morning that he may not make the squad.

Great, what a pointless load of shite those warm up games proved to be.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri May 17, 2019 10:38 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 5214
Location: Mzansi
OomPB wrote:
South Africa
Faf du Plessis (capt), Hashim Amla, Quinton de Kock (wk), JP Duminy, Aiden Markram, David Miller, *Chris Morris, Lungi Ngidi, Andile Phehlukwayo, Dwaine Pretorius, Kagiso Rabada, Tabraiz Shamsi, Dale Steyn, Imran Tahir, Rassie van der Dussen.

* Chris Morris replaced Anrich Nortje on 7 May

The main concerns for me:
1. Our batting looks very fragile. Amla, JP and Miller need to turn up here. And Markram got good runs domestically, but his away record is not very good so far in his career.
2. Our fast bowling is superbly talented and capable, but I fear Ngidi and Steyn might break down during the tournament.
3. Do we only go with 5 bowling options or do we make space for Morris as the 6th option? If yes, which batsman gets the chop?


This is the side I would play against England in the opener:

QdK, Amla, Markram, Faf, Vd Dussen, Miller, Phehlukwayo, Rabada, Steyn, Ngidi, Tahir


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri May 17, 2019 10:41 am 
Offline

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 3906
WoodlandsRFC wrote:
Enzedder wrote:
Tom Latham (wk) has injured a finger in the warm-up games played in Oz - there was talk on radio Sport this morning that he may not make the squad.

Great, what a pointless load of shite those warm up games proved to be.


Except for Will Young with his 2 100s - looks very promising but injured for the cwc

Poor bugger must feel pissed off -from memory he was supposed to debut in Chch the day after the mosque attacks ..and now the injury

Good we have blundell in the squad and interesting that we were so competitive vs the aussies with our b team


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri May 17, 2019 10:44 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 12624
Beaver_Shark wrote:
OomPB wrote:
South Africa
Faf du Plessis (capt), Hashim Amla, Quinton de Kock (wk), JP Duminy, Aiden Markram, David Miller, *Chris Morris, Lungi Ngidi, Andile Phehlukwayo, Dwaine Pretorius, Kagiso Rabada, Tabraiz Shamsi, Dale Steyn, Imran Tahir, Rassie van der Dussen.

* Chris Morris replaced Anrich Nortje on 7 May

The main concerns for me:
1. Our batting looks very fragile. Amla, JP and Miller need to turn up here. And Markram got good runs domestically, but his away record is not very good so far in his career.
2. Our fast bowling is superbly talented and capable, but I fear Ngidi and Steyn might break down during the tournament.
3. Do we only go with 5 bowling options or do we make space for Morris as the 6th option? If yes, which batsman gets the chop?


This is the side I would play against England in the opener:

QdK, Amla, Markram, Faf, Vd Dussen, Miller, Phehlukwayo, Rabada, Steyn, Ngidi, Tahir

I'd go with that team, but that leaves us with only 5 bowlers. If we add Duminy, we can drop Amla (legend, but in poor form) and let Markram open. Better stocked at bowling, but flimsy with Markram and Quinney as openers.

For me, Morris is very hit and miss. He can be a wicket taker, but I hate his repeated bowling on the legside.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri May 17, 2019 10:46 am 
Offline

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 3906
handyman wrote:
brat wrote:
handyman wrote:
brat wrote:
Looking foward to this

England should be the favourites and good chance of winning the world cup

Be very surprised if Nz make the semis

My pick for semis

England
Aussies
India
South Africa/ Pakistan/windies- get the feeling the windies will win a few big games this tournament

England in fantastic form, India a close second but with better BMT. Behind them a lot of teams that are quite evenly matched. Quite rightly there is no hype around South Africa, let's hope we can sneak under the radar and make the semi's.


You guys will be my 2nd team for the cwc- think you deserve some good luck and hopefully go deep into the tournament

Hard not to see England in the final though- unless they choke

Have to say I always follow the Black Caps in CWC's. They've knocked us out before and some other big teams as well. Always a threat and so much more than the sum of their parts.


True there’s been some amazing games between our 2 sides

Just don’t think we have enough talent in our side to make the semis this time, especially with this (better) format - will be very happy if we do though


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri May 17, 2019 10:56 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Thu Jun 11, 2015 12:51 pm
Posts: 1872
A5D5E5 wrote:
clydecloggie wrote:
Cricket is the example of what rugby could become if World Rugby goes down the wrong path: a stale, closed-shop niche event where the same teams play each other over and over again.

This is the first time in ages I couldn't care less about the CWC - used to follow it avidly but the 10-team format and exclusion of teams like Ireland, Scotland and The Netherlands has just killed it for me.


I hate to break this to you, but international rugby has already reached this point. The teams that England play this year will be pretty much the same as the ones they played last year (give or take a couple of differences). And it was pretty much the same the year before. And the year before that. And the year before that. And every year for the 15 years before that. World cups sometimes add a couple of new teams to the mix, but honestly does playing Uruguay or Namibia really make any difference.

By contrast, there is far more variation in the teams that England play at cricket each year.


Cricket actively took steps to close its shop. Rugby is expanding its RWC. Yes, rugby is similar to cricket but it's nowhere near as bad. Yet. And probably won't be unless India suddenly becomes a rugby world power.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri May 17, 2019 11:08 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 5214
Location: Mzansi
handyman wrote:

For me, Morris is very hit and miss. He can be a wicket taker, but I hate his repeated bowling on the legside.

This worries me a lot too. He averages 40 with the ball and and 19 with the bat. Those numbers are just not good enough.
But he's an enigma in the sense that on his day he can blow away the opposition with inch-perfect yorkers, or hit a quickfire 50 at 200% strike rate.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri May 17, 2019 11:08 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jul 30, 2013 8:57 pm
Posts: 10186
clydecloggie wrote:
A5D5E5 wrote:
clydecloggie wrote:
Cricket is the example of what rugby could become if World Rugby goes down the wrong path: a stale, closed-shop niche event where the same teams play each other over and over again.

This is the first time in ages I couldn't care less about the CWC - used to follow it avidly but the 10-team format and exclusion of teams like Ireland, Scotland and The Netherlands has just killed it for me.


I hate to break this to you, but international rugby has already reached this point. The teams that England play this year will be pretty much the same as the ones they played last year (give or take a couple of differences). And it was pretty much the same the year before. And the year before that. And the year before that. And every year for the 15 years before that. World cups sometimes add a couple of new teams to the mix, but honestly does playing Uruguay or Namibia really make any difference.

By contrast, there is far more variation in the teams that England play at cricket each year.


Cricket actively took steps to close its shop. Rugby is expanding its RWC. Yes, rugby is similar to cricket but it's nowhere near as bad. Yet. And probably won't be unless India suddenly becomes a rugby world power.


There are 12 test playing cricket nations of which 8 might be reasonably described as top level.

There are 10 rugby nations across the 6N and 4N of which 9 might reasonably be described as top level.

I don't like what is happening within international cricket, but that doesn't change the fact that international rugby is already more repetitive.

Each year England's rugby team typically play about 7 or 8 of the same teams. Each year England's cricket team typically play perhaps 4 or 5 of the same teams, and at test level, fewer than this. Adding a few new teams to be beaten by 60 points doesn't (at least to me) alter this.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri May 17, 2019 1:41 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 25204
Location: Chickenrunning...
Beaver_Shark wrote:
handyman wrote:

For me, Morris is very hit and miss. He can be a wicket taker, but I hate his repeated bowling on the legside.

This worries me a lot too. He averages 40 with the ball and and 19 with the bat. Those numbers are just not good enough.
But he's an enigma in the sense that on his day he can blow away the opposition with inch-perfect yorkers, or hit a quickfire 50 at 200% strike rate.


Morris is waaay too erratic to play in a CWC knockout game. :thumbdown:


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 8030 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 201  Next

All times are UTC [ DST ]


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: BillW, fatcat, Google Adsense [Bot], jambanja, Jay Cee Gee, Jeff the Bear, JPNZ, Mr Mike, UncleFB, Uthikoloshe, Working Class Rugger, Zakar and 1 guest


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group