Chat Forum
It is currently Mon Sep 16, 2019 3:13 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sat May 18, 2019 2:58 pm 

One off the bucket list.
Over a week away from home and wanting to get back from Stanstead the A14 was closed so I was diverted towards the land of the web-toed people. Driving through this village I suddenly realised where I was.
Must say that despite the pretty yellow stone all the houses seemed to be either terraces or at most semi-detached. Was expecting something a bit grander.

PostPosted: Sat May 18, 2019 3:09 pm 

PCPhil wrote:
One off the bucket list.
Over a week away from home and wanting to get back from Stanstead the A14 was closed so I was diverted towards the land of the web-toed people. Driving through this village I suddenly realised where I was.
Must say that despite the pretty yellow stone all the houses seemed to be either terraces or at most semi-detached. Was expecting something a bit grander.

Wot? PC. You missed 4 Grade Is and an awful lot of Grade IIs. Surprised you got through there today as it's our Vintage Festival. The Town is absolutely rammed.

We've got a nice little parking space. We've people parking just about everywhere.

Pity you did not pop in for a drink. You'd have been welcomed and you could have met Hattie and found out why I married the Management.

We are on rubbish clearance duty. Always fun as the sun goes down and it's raining.

PostPosted: Sat May 18, 2019 3:27 pm 

I was diverted away from the centre because of the hordes. I did notice someone in a yellow vest near the bins but he was swigging from a sherry bottle and shouting at people.

PostPosted: Sat May 18, 2019 3:31 pm 

Probably wind-up post, as most of the pics I have seen of Oundle appear to be of a very attractive place. I guess Buford or Broadway must be a bit naff too, as most of the old properties in the centres are terraced.
:?

PostPosted: Sat May 18, 2019 3:45 pm 

globus wrote:
PCPhil wrote:
One off the bucket list.

Wot? PC. You missed 4 Grade Is and an awful lot of Grade IIs. Surprised you got through there today as it's our Vintage Festival. The Town is absolutely rammed.

We've got a nice little parking space. We've people parking just about everywhere.

Pity you did not pop in for a drink. You'd have been welcomed and you could have met Hattie and found out why I married the Management.

We are on rubbish clearance duty. Always fun as the sun goes down and it's raining.

:lol:

PostPosted: Sat May 18, 2019 3:57 pm 

PCPhil wrote:
I was diverted away from the centre because of the hordes. I did notice someone in a yellow vest near the bins but he was swigging from a sherry bottle and shouting at people.

I was in a hi-vis vest with the Management this morning. It helps to avoid being mown down!

I know you are in wind-up territory. I don't drink sherry. We have a bottle in the fridge for the MIL. Probably gorn orf, must check.

But it would have been nice to have met you. It's always very sociable chez nous.

We don't know any PC called "Phil". This Town is incredibly low risk so we rarely see a copper. They are like hens' teeth.

But they give us a monthly report at Council meetings. It doesent take long and that's a relief!

Today has been bedlam. I'm having cup of tea before donning the oilskins.

PostPosted: Sat May 18, 2019 4:06 pm 

PCPhil wrote:

:lol: :lol:

PostPosted: Sat May 18, 2019 4:08 pm 

quarter2four wrote:
PCPhil wrote:

Cheap shot, but you ain't been around here for very long, unless you have returned in a new disguise.

PostPosted: Sat May 18, 2019 4:14 pm 

globus wrote:
quarter2four wrote:
PCPhil wrote:

Cheap shot, but you ain't been around here for very long, unless you have returned in a new disguise.

Was here before and have defended you at times :thumbup: . Was a funny comment!

PostPosted: Sat May 18, 2019 4:28 pm 

quarter2four wrote:
globus wrote:
quarter2four wrote:
PCPhil wrote:

Ta! I usually need defending. The prosecution is usually relentless.

But way off target.

Welcome back, if appropriate. It would appear you get my sense of humour.

Bung a few slings and arrows. I'm ready for them!

PostPosted: Sat May 18, 2019 5:13 pm 

globus wrote:
quarter2four wrote:
globus wrote:
quarter2four wrote:
PCPhil wrote:

Ta! I usually need defending. The prosecution is usually relentless.

But way off target.

Welcome back, if appropriate. It would appear you get my sense of humour.

Bung a few slings and arrows. I'm ready for them!

:thumbup:

PostPosted: Sat May 18, 2019 5:18 pm 

I was under the impression that the place was somewhere left of Narnia, how disappointing to find out it actually exists :shock:

PostPosted: Sat May 18, 2019 5:20 pm 

Not Frankie wrote:
I was under the impression that the place was somewhere left of Narnia, how disappointing to find out it actually exists :shock:

Seriously, that was my thought as well. That’s why had to pull the car over and post.

Edit: actually, I think it only appears once a year. Just lucky(?) I guess.

PostPosted: Sat May 18, 2019 5:27 pm 

PostPosted: Sat May 18, 2019 8:28 pm 

“I saw the crescent, you saw the whole of the moon”

PostPosted: Sat May 18, 2019 8:59 pm 

Sandstorm wrote:

:nod: (albeit that is once every 100 years)

PostPosted: Sat May 18, 2019 10:56 pm 

Sandstorm wrote:

I saw the rain dirty valley
You saw Brigadoon

PostPosted: Sun May 19, 2019 6:13 am 

Rubbish clearance took a while. We are a bit sluggish this morning and it's coffee duty at St Peter's.

It was a wonderful success. Pity about the drizzle.

Hattie was a star. Didn't meet anyone who didn't love her to bits, as we do. A certain lady, who is afraid of dogs, had bit of "The Road to Damascus" moment. She's popping round for tea and cakes this afternoon to meet her again.

Think she's coming into season so we are going to apply some pants to ensure she does not have an inappropriate relationship!

Life's not dull here. Do visit. A warm welcome awaits and we get stuff at mate's rates!

Have a Look

PostPosted: Sun May 19, 2019 6:21 am 

guy smiley wrote:
Sandstorm wrote:

I saw the rain dirty valley
You saw Brigadoon

As a sailor and a former DJ, I know that track from the Waterboys. I'm good on most untill about 1986.

It's been downhill for me since then, on the music front. But I got my sax off the wall and had a bash at Baker Street, where I used to work. 221B. One of my staff replied to letters to Sherlock Holmes.

One of the standard replies was "We are sorry, but he is out after Moriarty. He hopes you will get your cat back".

PostPosted: Sun May 19, 2019 6:40 am 

Quelle surprize!

PostPosted: Sun May 19, 2019 6:51 am 

Monk Zombie wrote:
Quelle surprize!

It was quite a lot of fun MZ. Some quite serious requests came for a fictional sleuth. Mr Conan Doyle would be most amused as he puffed on his Meerschaum in his deerstalker.

A lot were of lost pets. We built up quite a decent collection of replies excusing Sherlock from investigating their loss.

PostPosted: Sun May 19, 2019 8:01 am 

globus wrote:
Rubbish clearance took a while. We are a bit sluggish this morning and it's coffee duty at St Peter's.

Hattie was a star. Didn't meet anyone who didn't love her to bits, as we do. A certain lady, who is afraid of dogs, had bit of "The Road to Damascus" moment. She's popping round for tea and cakes this afternoon to meet her again.

Think she's coming into season so we are going to apply some pants to ensure she does not have an inappropriate relationship!

Life's not dull here. Do visit. A warm welcome awaits and we get stuff at mate's rates!

Have a Look

The woman is coming into season? Oundle clearly has a vibrant swinging scene.

PostPosted: Sun May 19, 2019 8:19 am 

ScarfaceClaw wrote:
globus wrote:

Have a Look

We have swings (and a roundabout)! Hattie is the great grand-daughter of our dearly beloved dog, Max, who went to kennel heaven aged 14 and a bit.

Her pedigree is impeccable. Max was bred by a senior Crufts judge, a very good friend, who now breeds (inter alia) Lhasa Apsos so Hattie came from a good friend of hers.

They both take breeding incredibly seriously and Hattie is a result of very careful consideration.

No puppy farms out here. She's Royalancer Delight. How they come up with these is quite amusing.

Max was Khinjan River God. Khinjan is a river in Afghanistan!

Not sure of the human swinging scenes out here. Not our cup of tea at all.

Just about to make A Fortnum and Mason's "Royal Blend" before we go to church.

PostPosted: Sun May 19, 2019 9:11 am 

ScarfaceClaw wrote:
globus wrote:

Have a Look

I’ve got the woman coming into season and Globus putting on his pants to keep her on the straight and narrow😮😂
Has anyone clicked that link at all?

PostPosted: Sun May 19, 2019 9:13 am 

Ewinkum wrote:
ScarfaceClaw wrote:
globus wrote:

Have a Look

I’ve got the woman coming into season and Globus putting on his pants to keep her on the straight and narrow😮😂

Not even Yeeb is that niche.

PostPosted: Sun May 19, 2019 9:27 am 

There is no way on earth I am clicking a Globby link. I’ll wait for another brave soul to report on it,.....or not....

PostPosted: Sun May 19, 2019 9:49 am 

Ewinkum wrote:
ScarfaceClaw wrote:
globus wrote:

Have a Look

You must be joking :lol: :lol:

PostPosted: Sun May 19, 2019 10:31 am 

Hattie is the one we are worried about. She's 8 months old now and getting too much attention from other doggies.

The Management has very nice pants thanks. A certain company do a nice line. And she has pretty well the same frame as she had quite a few years ago.

Love her to bits.

PostPosted: Mon May 20, 2019 8:07 am 

:?

PostPosted: Mon May 20, 2019 11:48 am 

I clicked it. I clicked it hard.

Lots going on if you are interested in a certain type of thing and are of a certain type of age with a certain type of love for a certain type of market and a certain type of god.

Not enough theme parks or neon.

PostPosted: Mon May 20, 2019 11:52 am 

globus wrote:
PCPhil wrote:

I was in a hi-vis vest with the Management this morning. It helps to avoid being mown down!

I know you are in wind-up territory. I don't drink sherry. We have a bottle in the fridge for the MIL. Probably gorn orf, must check.

But it would have been nice to have met you. It's always very sociable chez nous.

We don't know any PC called "Phil". This Town is incredibly low risk so we rarely see a copper. They are like hens' teeth.

But they give us a monthly report at Council meetings. It doesent take long and that's a relief!

Oundle would be the real-life version of Broadchurch or Happy Valley and needs a sleuth such as Vera or Sherlock to find out what has been happening to all these wealthy spinster benefactors.

PostPosted: Mon May 20, 2019 3:02 pm 

You've been watching "Peyton Place"!

Stamford is just up the road and Cambridge is about 45 mins away.

We have an assured parking place there, which is handy. It's in the front garden of a house near the car park at the Round Church.

It pays to be nice to people and the house is owned by the mother of a son and his wife, for whom I arranged a mortgage.

Just round the corner from Clive James' house. He's almost exactly 10 years older than me. Not in a brilliant way, health wise.

PostPosted: Mon May 20, 2019 5:51 pm 

SilverGrin wrote:
globus wrote:
PCPhil wrote:

Oundle would be the real-life version of Broadchurch or Happy Valley and needs a sleuth such as Vera or Sherlock to find out what has been happening to all these wealthy spinster benefactors.

What is more concerning to me is Glooby’s open admission on the Shirley Bassey thread of burying someone alive. :?

PostPosted: Mon May 20, 2019 5:59 pm 

What/who are you interring? The existing patio gets dug up shortly. I've arranged for the Great Aunts to be taken to sacred ground. And that's not sacred "ground", although we do have an mincer. He's a bit limp wristed but a nice chap.

PostPosted: Mon May 20, 2019 6:14 pm 

SilverGrin wrote:
globus wrote:
PCPhil wrote:

Sounds more like MidSummer to me. :lol:

PostPosted: Mon May 20, 2019 6:57 pm 

Never been to Oundle but have been to St Ives beside Huntingdon. Stayed in the Golden Lion and took some time out to piss against the Oliver Cromwell statue.

PostPosted: Mon May 20, 2019 7:10 pm 

iarmhiman wrote:
Never been to Oundle but have been to St Ives beside Huntingdon. Stayed in the Golden Lion and took some time out to piss against the Oliver Cromwell statue.

Oliver Percival Globus Cromwell, to give him his full name.

PostPosted: Mon May 20, 2019 10:39 pm 

iarmhiman wrote:

Have a look at where Hilton is. Not far away. It has an interesting maze so crafted that the idea was that the devill could only go in straight lines.

If you want seriously to Google, see if you can see the house I owned and the Village green.

Then tell me who designed it and the house in Fenstanton with his connection.

But never worry. I always tell fibs. And some on here are only too ready to accuse me of that, without warranty.

PostPosted: Mon May 20, 2019 11:18 pm 

PostPosted: Tue May 21, 2019 6:54 am 

globus wrote:

Have a Look

I noticed on your site, there are YouTube recordings of council meetings. Are you starring in some of these Globster?