Chat Forum
It is currently Mon Sep 16, 2019 3:12 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: Mon May 20, 2019 2:40 am 

Quote:
Google 'blocks Huawei access to Android updates' after blacklisting

https://www.theguardian.com/technology/2019/may/19/google-huawei-trump-blacklist-report

Huawei Technologies will immediately lose access to updates for the Android operating system while the next version of its smartphones outside China will lose access to popular applications and services including the Google Play store and the Gmail app.

Open trade warfare is declared.

PostPosted: Mon May 20, 2019 3:33 am 

usermame wrote:
Quote:
Google 'blocks Huawei access to Android updates' after blacklisting

https://www.theguardian.com/technology/2019/may/19/google-huawei-trump-blacklist-report

Huawei Technologies will immediately lose access to updates for the Android operating system while the next version of its smartphones outside China will lose access to popular applications and services including the Google Play store and the Gmail app.

Open trade warfare is declared.

Google getting all moralistic on us now. They must need Trump for something ..... ok, I'll go read it.

PostPosted: Mon May 20, 2019 8:11 am 

For anyone who has a Huawei phone:
Quote:
Google has cut off Huawei's licence - meaning users of new Huawei phones will no longer be able to use apps like Maps and Gmail and will not have access to security updates.

This means existing customers of Huawei phones, or Google Nexus phones whose hardware was made by Huawei, will be able to update their phones and apps, but will not be able to update to a newer version of the Android operating system if one becomes available.

Google's Android software is just one piece of US technology that Huawei uses, so the wider fall out of the ban may be devastating for the company and its users if other US firms follow Google's lead.

PostPosted: Mon May 20, 2019 8:22 am 

I reckon this won't go Googles way long term.
You don't need play store to install or use apps.

I'm not entirely convinced a monopoly OS is the best solution anyway. It didn't really work for desktop computers.

I have a Huawei phone and I'm not concerned.
I'd buy another one too, it seems to have hung in there the longest.

PostPosted: Mon May 20, 2019 8:33 am 

sonic_attack wrote:

I'm not entirely convinced a monopoly OS is the best solution anyway. It didn't really work for desktop computers.

It's Trump's national emergency, not Google's. As I read it, no-one can offer goods or services to Huawei - and I guess Samsung too - without approval. Penalties would be large for non-compliance.

PostPosted: Mon May 20, 2019 8:34 am 

message #2527204 wrote:
sonic_attack wrote:

It's Trump's national emergency, not Google's. As I read it, no-one can offer goods or services to Huawei - and I guess Samsung too - without approval. Penalties would be large for non-compliance.

Why not to Samsung?

PostPosted: Mon May 20, 2019 8:42 am 

message #2527204 wrote:
sonic_attack wrote:

Yes, Google have no choice but to do this to Huawei. But I am not sure why they would cut Samsung off too???

PostPosted: Mon May 20, 2019 8:51 am 

Sensible Stephen wrote:
message #2527204 wrote:
sonic_attack wrote:

Yes, Google have no choice but to do this to Huawei. But I am not sure why they would cut Samsung off too???

As far as I can see, it's any 'foreign' technology company. Google would then have to ask permission to continue supplying them with services. Administrator will decide if Samsung is approved, or not.

PostPosted: Mon May 20, 2019 9:04 am 

message #2527204 wrote:
Sensible Stephen wrote:
message #2527204 wrote:
sonic_attack wrote:

As far as I can see, it's any 'foreign' technology company. Google would then have to ask permission to continue supplying them with services. Administrator will decide if Samsung is approved, or not.

Its only China.

PostPosted: Mon May 20, 2019 9:11 am 

Does seem odd.
Isn't half the shit in a smartphone either Chinese or assembled in China?

Picking a fight with folk you rely on to produce what's become a basic necessity reads a little short sighted.

PostPosted: Mon May 20, 2019 11:03 am 

It seems the idea Trump espouses is that he wants the wheel to be reinvented in the US. Good luck with that.

PostPosted: Mon May 20, 2019 11:10 am 

message #2527204 wrote:
sonic_attack wrote:

That really is a guess, I've seen no mention of Samsung being affected in the news articles

PostPosted: Mon May 20, 2019 11:39 am 

sewa wrote:
message #2527204 wrote:
sonic_attack wrote:

That really is a guess, I've seen no mention of Samsung being affected in the news articles

Quote:
The order – which empowers the US government to ban the technology and services of “foreign adversaries” deemed to pose “unacceptable risks” to national security – did not name specific countries or companies.

Yeah, but based on this. Obviously aimed at Huawei, but could include any depending on Trump's whim.

PostPosted: Mon May 20, 2019 11:56 am 

Will be interesting to see what China's counterpunch is going to be.

Seems like they are on the ropes. They are going to have to go onto the offensive at some point.

PostPosted: Mon May 20, 2019 11:58 am 

message #2527204 wrote:
sewa wrote:

Quote:
The order – which empowers the US government to ban the technology and services of “foreign adversaries” deemed to pose “unacceptable risks” to national security – did not name specific countries or companies.

Yeah, but based on this. Obviously aimed at Huawei, but could include any depending on Trump's whim.

Samsung are South Korean, an ally of the US for decades and very much in favour in the White House. Not a chance that will happen

PostPosted: Mon May 20, 2019 12:44 pm 

Blake wrote:

Seems like they are on the ropes. They are going to have to go onto the offensive at some point.

On the ropes or holding El Dorito at arm's length while he swings wildly, wondering what the fudge he's playing at?

PostPosted: Mon May 20, 2019 12:55 pm 

sockwithaticket wrote:
Blake wrote:

On the ropes or holding El Dorito at arm's length while he swings wildly, wondering what the fudge he's playing at?

Negative press against Chinese tech is building up. They MUST counter-punch soon or lose a lot of customers.

PostPosted: Mon May 20, 2019 12:58 pm 

Sandstorm wrote:
sockwithaticket wrote:
Blake wrote:

Negative press against Chinese tech is building up. They MUST counter-punch soon or lose a lot of customers.

Overall, sure. This is more to do with Trump's ill-advised trade war with China rather than wider issues everyone else has with Chinese tech is it not?

PostPosted: Mon May 20, 2019 1:25 pm 

Blake wrote:

I imagine they don't have a lot left and will just have to wait until the results of Trump's tariffs piss off his base enough.

PostPosted: Mon May 20, 2019 1:36 pm 

Don't know if we'll ever find out, but I wonder what they discovered that Huawei did to lead to all this. If it was just Trump being an asshole, the Canadians wouldn't have made that arrest and U.S. Intelligence wouldn't say "we're not cooperating with anyone with Huawei technology".

Last edited by Flyin Ryan on Mon May 20, 2019 1:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Mon May 20, 2019 1:42 pm 

Flyin Ryan wrote:
Don't know if we'll ever find out, but I wonder what they discovered that Huawei did to lead to all this.

https://www.google.ie/amp/s/arstechnica.com/gadgets/2019/04/bloomberg-claims-vodafone-found-backdoors-in-huawei-equipment-vodafone-disagrees/%3famp=1

I read as well that Chinese have been flooding conferences on future standards with engineers and scientists to push things their way and it’s spooked a few countries.

PostPosted: Mon May 20, 2019 1:46 pm 

paddyor wrote:
I read as well that Chinese have been flooding conferences on future standards with engineers and scientists to push things their way and it’s spooked a few countries.

Read the same as well when it was concerned with Outer space law that all these standards for way out in the future stuff are being written heavily by the Chinese. That's just influencing. If there were heavy American attendance at these things, I would hope they are pushing the American point of view. The difference I guess is their marching orders come from the central Chinese government vs. the "academic independence" of the western world.

PostPosted: Mon May 20, 2019 1:48 pm 

Flyin Ryan wrote:
Don't know if we'll ever find out, but I wonder what they discovered that Huawei did to lead to all this. If it was just Trump being an asshole, the Canadians wouldn't have made that arrest and U.S. Intelligence wouldn't say "we're not cooperating with anyone with Huawei technology".

I thought it was simply that CISCO includes back door vulnerabilities for US intelligence services to exploit, and they assume that Huawei do the same for the Chinese Government, especially as Huawei is part-owned by the Chinese Govt.

PostPosted: Mon May 20, 2019 1:48 pm 

Flyin Ryan wrote:
Don't know if we'll ever find out, but I wonder what they discovered that Huawei did to lead to all this.

Be Chinese and successful.

Quote:
The core obstacle to a deal of the kind the US wants is that the administration is using its trade deficit with China as (transparent) camouflage for an attempt to curtail China’s economic and geo-political ambitions and its threat to US hegemony.
SMH

Last edited by usermame on Mon May 20, 2019 1:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Mon May 20, 2019 1:50 pm 

sonic_attack wrote:

True but most people aren't techy enough or bothered to learn how to side-load apps so will now consider buying a different phone instead to avoid the inconvenience.

PostPosted: Mon May 20, 2019 1:54 pm 

usermame wrote:
Flyin Ryan wrote:

I as a mechanical engineer have dealt with Chinese companies before, including Dongfeng. They view things through their own prism.

PostPosted: Mon May 20, 2019 2:05 pm 

Trump is devaluing Google. Who can trust Android as an OS if updates to it can be withheld at Trump's whim?

PostPosted: Mon May 20, 2019 2:28 pm 

Flyin Ryan wrote:
Don't know if we'll ever find out, but I wonder what they discovered that Huawei did to lead to all this. If it was just Trump being an asshole, the Canadians wouldn't have made that arrest .

The arrest warrant was to do with allegedly breaking sanctions against Iran and Canada arrested her because it has an extradition treaty with the US.

PostPosted: Mon May 20, 2019 3:31 pm 

mmm.
So Huawey can't use Google's patented parts of Android. Wow. And can't have some USA hardware now.

Scary like a bubblegum's pop for huawey.

They'll obviously release theirs Android version with an "Huawey app store" that can be much the same as Play store.
I can't see how app portability could be an issue.
Google software would not be preinstalled, this can be a blessing.

Do someone here think they'll have issues replacing USA Hardware parts with chinese's ones?

Laughable move, just underlines how USA can't cope losing IT supremacy.

PostPosted: Mon May 20, 2019 4:19 pm 

Lobby wrote:
Flyin Ryan wrote:

I thought it was simply that CISCO includes back door vulnerabilities for US intelligence services to exploit, and they assume that Huawei do the same for the Chinese Government, especially as Huawei is part-owned by the Chinese Govt.

The NSA once gave its stamp of approval to a 64 bit encryption standard called DES(iirc) back in the 80s which was later found to have a backdoor. I’d say there’s a bit of projection about it.

PostPosted: Mon May 20, 2019 4:49 pm 

I see China is taking its pandas back, shit just got real!

PostPosted: Mon May 20, 2019 5:11 pm 

http://waterfordwhispersnews.com/2019/0 ... ls-huawei/

PostPosted: Mon May 20, 2019 6:23 pm 

sewa wrote:
message #2527204 wrote:
sewa wrote:

Quote:

Samsung are South Korean, an ally of the US for decades and very much in favour in the White House. Not a chance that will happen

The point was that they would have to ask permission, not that it wouldn't be given.
I think one plus saw reliance on Google as a weakness anyway and has it's own version of Android based OS... Samsung developed one too at one point? Plus there are plenty of alternative app stores around like eg aptoide.

PostPosted: Mon May 20, 2019 6:32 pm 

Flyin Ryan wrote:
usermame wrote:
Flyin Ryan wrote:

I as a mechanical engineer have dealt with Chinese companies before, including Dongfeng. They view things through their own prism.

And Americans or anyone else doesn't?

PostPosted: Mon May 20, 2019 7:11 pm 

paddyor wrote:
I see China is taking its pandas back, shit just got real!

Muslim pandas? If so they can be interned with the 1m or so Muslims already banged up.

PostPosted: Mon May 20, 2019 7:18 pm 

flaggETERNAL wrote:
Flyin Ryan wrote:
usermame wrote:
Flyin Ryan wrote:

And Americans or anyone else doesn't?

We need England’s Call back. You can’t trust the Chinese.

PostPosted: Mon May 20, 2019 7:30 pm 

usermame wrote:
Flyin Ryan wrote:

Quote:
The core obstacle to a deal of the kind the US wants is that the administration is using its trade deficit with China as (transparent) camouflage for an attempt to curtail China’s economic and geo-political ambitions and its threat to US hegemony.
SMH

Yes, this is as I understand it. They're trying to halt the Communist Chinese march to global ascendancy. Much of Chinese technology success has come as a result of flouting rules.
Quote:
Over the last decade or so, China has employed a variety of methods to get its hands on technology invented by its rivals. Most obviously, it pursued a policy of forced technology transfer, whereby any foreign company in China had to partner up with a Chinese company and share with them its prized methods. In many cases, this morphed quickly into outright theft.

American Semiconductor, a leading chip maker, for example, was almost bankrupted after its Chinese partner, Sinovel, employed commercial espionage to steal AMSC’s intellectual property and cut the US company out of the chain. Last year, having survived its near-death experience, AMSC won its case against Sinovel in US courts, but its case in China is still pending.

Quote:
China has certainly failed to fulfil many of the promises it made when it joined the WTO – and won’t even disclose to what degree it has done so, because it does not comply with transparency rules that require disclosure of state support and subsidies.

There is no firm line between state and private in the Chinese economy, as the rolling bailouts of its banks makes clear. Beijing has not opened its market to foreign investors to the degree it should and, for too long, Chinese authorities have turned a blind eye to theft of foreign intellectual property by its companies.

PostPosted: Mon May 20, 2019 11:22 pm 

usermame wrote:
Trump is devaluing Google. Who can trust Android as an OS if updates to it can be withheld at Trump's whim?

How will that work? Will consumers buy new Huawei phones in western markets? Unlikely. Samsung, LG, HTC, etc will fill any void. I don't think Google's revenues will be affected much at all.

PostPosted: Mon May 20, 2019 11:30 pm 

usermame wrote:
Blake wrote:

I imagine they don't have a lot left and will just have to wait until the results of Trump's tariffs piss off his base enough.

Oh, but they do.

The Ozzies & others have helpfully been selling the Chinese, a very significant chunk of the worlds available, 'Rare Earth Elements'.

Without them, you can't even make the components to make a mobile phone.

All the Chinese need to do; is squeeze the supply of these, & the Cheeto will be back shilling condos in Floridian swampland; before you can say molybdenum !

PostPosted: Tue May 21, 2019 12:16 am 

sonic_attack wrote:

Ditto. Best damn phones I've ever owned. I ain't changing just to satisfy Trumps game of "who's got the biggest dick."