Chat Forum
It is currently Mon Sep 16, 2019 3:49 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 95 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Author Message
PostPosted: Tue May 21, 2019 1:00 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 11166
Location: Austin, TX
Google now a tool of the US Govt. What a mistake this is.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue May 21, 2019 1:31 am 
Online
User avatar

Joined: Wed Apr 27, 2016 1:50 am
Posts: 3798
This is what happens when you make quality kit that competes iwth America companies...


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue May 21, 2019 1:48 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 6603
Location: อีสาน
I've got a Huawei phone. :uhoh:

Then again I don't usually update apps unless there's a security patch or system update and I only use it for messaging and taking photos anyway.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue May 21, 2019 1:50 am 
Online
User avatar

Joined: Wed Apr 27, 2016 1:50 am
Posts: 3798
Zico wrote:
I've got a Huawei phone. :uhoh:

Then again I don't usually update apps unless there's a security patch or system update and I only use it for messaging and taking photos anyway.


All Huawei's phones are still covered. It's just newly developed ones in the pipeline that will be affected

Shoddy reporting


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue May 21, 2019 1:53 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 831
Location: Suburgatory
Pat the Ex Mat wrote:
This is what happens when you make quality kit that competes iwth America companies...


Quite frankly I'd like to see the yanks push this too far and have Xi call in the $1.2 trillion dollar debt.

Won't happen of course as it'll ultimately seriously hurt both of them but just to watch Trump cornered like a squealing pig when U.S bonds spike would be a delight.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue May 21, 2019 1:58 am 
Online
User avatar

Joined: Wed Apr 27, 2016 1:50 am
Posts: 3798
Speed Racer wrote:
Pat the Ex Mat wrote:
This is what happens when you make quality kit that competes iwth America companies...


Quite frankly I'd like to see the yanks push this too far and have Xi call in the $1.2 trillion dollar debt.

Won't happen of course as it'll ultimately seriously hurt both of them but just to watch Trump cornered like a squealing pig when U.S bonds spike would be a delight.


It would be Global chaos but ultimate schadenfreude


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue May 21, 2019 2:01 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 6603
Location: อีสาน
Pat the Ex Mat wrote:
Zico wrote:
I've got a Huawei phone. :uhoh:

Then again I don't usually update apps unless there's a security patch or system update and I only use it for messaging and taking photos anyway.


All Huawei's phones are still covered. It's just newly developed ones in the pipeline that will be affected

Shoddy reporting


Grand so, cheers :thumbup:


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue May 21, 2019 2:03 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Thu Jun 11, 2015 12:51 pm
Posts: 15900
Mick Mannock wrote:
paddyor wrote:
I see China is taking its pandas back, shit just got real!


Muslim pandas? If so they can be interned with the 1m or so Muslims already banged up.

How did you become such a fucking moron?

About a week before the Notre Dame fire the PROC destroyed a similar aged mosque, went un-noticed for the most part. Complete opposite to the Charlie Hebdo killings etc.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue May 21, 2019 2:09 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Nov 06, 2012 3:45 am
Posts: 2157
Pat the Ex Mat wrote:
This is what happens when you make quality kit that competes iwth America companies...


:?

Yet they have never done similar to Samsung or Sony. Your comment makes zero sense.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue May 21, 2019 2:38 am 
Online
User avatar

Joined: Wed Apr 27, 2016 1:50 am
Posts: 3798
Sensible Stephen wrote:
Pat the Ex Mat wrote:
This is what happens when you make quality kit that competes iwth America companies...


:?

Yet they have never done similar to Samsung or Sony. Your comment makes zero sense.


Apple you pranny


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue May 21, 2019 2:44 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Nov 06, 2012 3:45 am
Posts: 2157
Pat the Ex Mat wrote:
Sensible Stephen wrote:
Pat the Ex Mat wrote:
This is what happens when you make quality kit that competes iwth America companies...


:?

Yet they have never done similar to Samsung or Sony. Your comment makes zero sense.


Apple you pranny


Excuse me? Again, your comment makes zero sense.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue May 21, 2019 3:29 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 11166
Location: Austin, TX
Samsung make parts for Apple including the display. THat's what he is saying.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue May 21, 2019 4:04 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Nov 06, 2012 3:45 am
Posts: 2157
True Blue wrote:
Samsung make parts for Apple including the display. THat's what he is saying.


:? Even so, his comment still doesn't make sense. Huapu, Qualcomm, Universal Scientific Industrial etc all supply iPhone parts. The phones are even made in China.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue May 21, 2019 4:09 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 831
Location: Suburgatory
Apparently Xi paid a visit to a rare earths plant in the last few days. China dominates the global rare earths market (80%) which the US tech industry relies on in a whole host of ways.

If that's not a threat...


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue May 21, 2019 4:18 am 
Online
User avatar

Joined: Wed Apr 27, 2016 1:50 am
Posts: 3798
Sensible Stephen wrote:
True Blue wrote:
Samsung make parts for Apple including the display. THat's what he is saying.


:? Even so, his comment still doesn't make sense. Huapu, Qualcomm, Universal Scientific Industrial etc all supply iPhone parts. The phones are even made in China.


That's just parts you know how much markup Apple applies to the finished product?

It's all about protectionism


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue May 21, 2019 4:43 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Nov 06, 2012 3:45 am
Posts: 2157
Pat the Ex Mat wrote:
Sensible Stephen wrote:
True Blue wrote:
Samsung make parts for Apple including the display. THat's what he is saying.


:? Even so, his comment still doesn't make sense. Huapu, Qualcomm, Universal Scientific Industrial etc all supply iPhone parts. The phones are even made in China.


That's just parts you know how much markup Apple applies to the finished product?

It's all about protectionism


:? Disrupting your supply chain is protectionism? What are you talking about?

And the relation to the comment about Samsung and Sony then? :? :?


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue May 21, 2019 4:50 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 2966
Sensible Stephen wrote:
Pat the Ex Mat wrote:
This is what happens when you make quality kit that competes iwth America companies...


:?

Yet they have never done similar to Samsung or Sony. Your comment makes zero sense.


Because they are not the flagship companies of your main economic rival.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue May 21, 2019 4:55 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Nov 06, 2012 3:45 am
Posts: 2157
Newsome wrote:
Sensible Stephen wrote:
Pat the Ex Mat wrote:
This is what happens when you make quality kit that competes iwth America companies...


:?

Yet they have never done similar to Samsung or Sony. Your comment makes zero sense.


Because they are not the flagship companies of your main economic rival.


Yeah, but they are "quality kit that competes with American companies". Which is a bullshit statement anyway, seeing as the likes of Sony and Nokia were previously the top dogs in music and phones, and now Samsung are.

This is about China.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue May 21, 2019 9:52 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 20240
https://twitter.com/BBCDouglasF/status/1130614781243736064

Its almost as if they haven't thought this through :lol:

That is such an apt description of the Trump administration


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue May 21, 2019 9:58 am 
Offline

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 21033
paddyor wrote:
Mick Mannock wrote:
paddyor wrote:
I see China is taking its pandas back, shit just got real!


Muslim pandas? If so they can be interned with the 1m or so Muslims already banged up.

How did you become such a fucking moron?

About a week before the Notre Dame fire the PROC destroyed a similar aged mosque, went un-noticed for the most part. Complete opposite to the Charlie Hebdo killings etc.


I do not understand your post. Are you a fan of incarceration of religious minorities?


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue May 21, 2019 12:36 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 11638
Flyin Ryan wrote:
paddyor wrote:
I read as well that Chinese have been flooding conferences on future standards with engineers and scientists to push things their way and it’s spooked a few countries.


Read the same as well when it was concerned with Outer space law that all these standards for way out in the future stuff are being written heavily by the Chinese. That's just influencing. If there were heavy American attendance at these things, I would hope they are pushing the American point of view. The difference I guess is their marching orders come from the central Chinese government vs. the "academic independence" of the western world.


Jesus christ mate, lay off the patriotic kool aid eh? :uhoh:


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue May 21, 2019 12:43 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 3201
Location: le Bayou
About time that somebody stops this Chinese invasion.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue May 21, 2019 12:45 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 11638
Speed Racer wrote:
Apparently Xi paid a visit to a rare earths plant in the last few days. China dominates the global rare earths market (80%) which the US tech industry relies on in a whole host of ways.

If that's not a threat...


Yeah oops. I read about this being a potential chinese lever in New Scientist a few years ago.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue May 21, 2019 12:53 pm 
Offline

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 8449
Location: Indiana
RuggaBugga wrote:
Flyin Ryan wrote:
paddyor wrote:
I read as well that Chinese have been flooding conferences on future standards with engineers and scientists to push things their way and it’s spooked a few countries.


Read the same as well when it was concerned with Outer space law that all these standards for way out in the future stuff are being written heavily by the Chinese. That's just influencing. If there were heavy American attendance at these things, I would hope they are pushing the American point of view. The difference I guess is their marching orders come from the central Chinese government vs. the "academic independence" of the western world.


Jesus christ mate, lay off the patriotic kool aid eh? :uhoh:


That's how these things work. Sorry to be the one to tell you Santa Claus isn't real.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue May 21, 2019 12:57 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 11638
Flyin Ryan wrote:
RuggaBugga wrote:
Flyin Ryan wrote:
paddyor wrote:
I read as well that Chinese have been flooding conferences on future standards with engineers and scientists to push things their way and it’s spooked a few countries.


Read the same as well when it was concerned with Outer space law that all these standards for way out in the future stuff are being written heavily by the Chinese. That's just influencing. If there were heavy American attendance at these things, I would hope they are pushing the American point of view. The difference I guess is their marching orders come from the central Chinese government vs. the "academic independence" of the western world.


Jesus christ mate, lay off the patriotic kool aid eh? :uhoh:


That's how these things work. Sorry to be the one to tell you Santa Claus isn't real.


Do you have some kind of coherent point you're attempting to make make?

Outer space law and way out future stuff... :roll:


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue May 21, 2019 1:38 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 50855
Location: Oundle
We've both got Huawei phones but tend not to use the facilities that are at risk.

This is going to be a right bun-fight.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue May 21, 2019 4:51 pm 
Offline

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 8449
Location: Indiana
RuggaBugga wrote:
Flyin Ryan wrote:
RuggaBugga wrote:
Flyin Ryan wrote:
paddyor wrote:
I read as well that Chinese have been flooding conferences on future standards with engineers and scientists to push things their way and it’s spooked a few countries.


Read the same as well when it was concerned with Outer space law that all these standards for way out in the future stuff are being written heavily by the Chinese. That's just influencing. If there were heavy American attendance at these things, I would hope they are pushing the American point of view. The difference I guess is their marching orders come from the central Chinese government vs. the "academic independence" of the western world.


Jesus christ mate, lay off the patriotic kool aid eh? :uhoh:


That's how these things work. Sorry to be the one to tell you Santa Claus isn't real.


Do you have some kind of coherent point you're attempting to make make?

Outer space law and way out future stuff... :roll:


have you ever been involved in technical negotiations of any kind? what's your job?

Let's go to one from a decade ago that's considered by some a global failure: the Copenhagen Climate Conference. The Chinese view carried the day. They were even able to stop European countries from putting into treaty their own emission limits.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue May 21, 2019 7:41 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sun Feb 05, 2012 3:15 pm
Posts: 32404
Location: Planet Rock
Huawei smashing it and America in trade war with China and see nothing but dominance for Huawei down the line. Not to many months later Huawei is public enemy number one and we are trying to smash their business.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue May 21, 2019 8:20 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 3201
Location: le Bayou
Anonymous. wrote:
Huawei smashing it and America in trade war with China and see nothing but dominance for Huawei down the line. Not to many months later Huawei is public enemy number one and we are trying to smash their business.

Huawei was already on the radar of the Obama's administration.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue May 21, 2019 8:31 pm 
Offline

Joined: Mon May 20, 2019 7:43 pm
Posts: 110
What other Chinese owned/manufactured products are also likely to be banned?


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue May 21, 2019 8:37 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 3983
Location: Monmouthshire
ForzaIt wrote:
What other Chinese owned/manufactured products are also likely to be banned?

Lots hopefully. Bunch of IP thieving arseholes. Don't like trump but this is needed.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed May 22, 2019 1:00 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Thu Jun 11, 2015 12:51 pm
Posts: 15900
Anonymous. wrote:
Huawei smashing it and America in trade war with China and see nothing but dominance for Huawei down the line. Not to many months later Huawei is public enemy number one and we are trying to smash their business.

Is it any difference to the Chinese banning Qualcomm, Cisco and Oracle in 2013?


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed May 22, 2019 7:37 am 
Offline

Joined: Mon May 20, 2019 7:43 pm
Posts: 110
paddyor wrote:
Anonymous. wrote:
Huawei smashing it and America in trade war with China and see nothing but dominance for Huawei down the line. Not to many months later Huawei is public enemy number one and we are trying to smash their business.

Is it any difference to the Chinese banning Qualcomm, Cisco and Oracle in 2013?



If it has a pulse the Chinese will eat it. If it has commercial value the Chinese will copy it. Zero fudge given.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed May 22, 2019 7:43 am 
Offline

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 3906
Pat the Ex Mat wrote:
This is what happens when you make quality kit that competes iwth America companies...


I’ve got a Huawei mate phone and my partner bought her apple iPhone 8 Plus at the same time

Hers was 450$ more expensive and it’s no where near as good as my huawei- best phone I’ve had by far


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed May 22, 2019 7:55 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 11638
Flyin Ryan wrote:

have you ever been involved in technical negotiations of any kind? what's your job?

Let's go to one from a decade ago that's considered by some a global failure: the Copenhagen Climate Conference. The Chinese view carried the day. They were even able to stop European countries from putting into treaty their own emission limits.


Look mate I don't need to be a climate change negotiator with the UN or an emissary from the Ministry of Outer Space Law and Way Out in the Future Stuff to see you are having trouble putting together a coherent argument here.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed May 22, 2019 8:11 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 18080
Sensible Stephen wrote:
Newsome wrote:
Sensible Stephen wrote:
Pat the Ex Mat wrote:
This is what happens when you make quality kit that competes iwth America companies...


:?

Yet they have never done similar to Samsung or Sony. Your comment makes zero sense.


Because they are not the flagship companies of your main economic rival.


Yeah, but they are "quality kit that competes with American companies". Which is a bullshit statement anyway, seeing as the likes of Sony and Nokia were previously the top dogs in music and phones, and now Samsung are.

This is about China.

Correct


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed May 22, 2019 8:19 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Fri Jun 01, 2012 12:45 pm
Posts: 297
Location: Shenzhen, China
The americans just do not want Huawei's hardware everywhere, that's why they are trying to put pressure on all the european countries to not install the Huawei 5G hardware. They need their own stuff in so they can spy on their allies with more convenience. Guys like Cisco has been proven to have backdoors installed, yet up to this point Huawei accusations are only speculated, there has been no concrete prove yet that the backdoors actually exist.

And America crying about stolen intellectual property is a bit hypocritical, during the the first part of the 20th century, they were stealing tech left right and center from around the world which turned them into the global force they became. Recently Declassified documents in the USA even talks about how the USA stole rocket tech from the Soviet Union before the moon landings as they were so far behind the russians that if they did not steal the tech, they would never have gotten close to the moon landing in the time it happened. There are loads of instances of then stealing tech in those days to boost their own economy. Now that someone else is doing it, it is very easy to cry wolf and communism, and that they are the bad guys.
When the globalization suited their industries and economy it was the greatest thing since sliced bread, now that is is actually helping guys like China and to a lesser degree India to start dominating manufacturing, etc, it is suddenly an evil thing and protectionism should come back

Everyone is going on about China's bad human rights record (yes they are not angels), but it its the USA declaring war for all kinds of reasons, year in, year out, killing loads of innocent people a year (acceptable collateral damage*) etc, etc, etc but hey the americans are the self proclaimed guardians of the galaxy and so called good guys. Yet they and their corporations have a long history of not really being that good.

Spending time in China a lot i agree that china is no angel, and they can definitely be more open and flexible to foreign companies, and they have slowly brought in reforms over the last 6 years or so to address some of it, a bit slow in my opinion, but they have been moving in this direction at a snail's pace. But hey Trump will claim anything that china have been put im motion for several years now is all his work.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed May 22, 2019 9:11 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 18080
This from smh is of interest (need to open in a private window to avoid subscription wall).

Even though Huawei is obstensively just another global telco maker - with, as some might say, "quality kit" - it has always had a slightly-less-than-warm welcome than that which applies to European, American, or other Asian tech companies. Specifically because it's a Chinese conglomerate.

With the networks as have been used up to now, that still hadn't been too much of an impediment for Huawei. Business is business, for the most part, and they competed on tech+price.

The new 5G network is an <ahem> Big Leap Forward, however. Much more critical infrastructure is becoming reliant on it - to the extent that it has become an issue of national security. Put that within reach of China, to paraphrase a (Chinese-speaking) former Australian Prime Minister, and they will try to "rat-fuck us".

Their phones (and whatever their latest social media enablers are that cunce on here use) aren't really a part of that, though.

So Matt the Expat and others should not have to be needlessly deprived of their shiny "Wah-Way" gizmos.


Last edited by kiap on Wed May 22, 2019 9:14 am, edited 1 time in total.

Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed May 22, 2019 9:14 am 
Online
User avatar

Joined: Wed Apr 27, 2016 1:50 am
Posts: 3798
kiap wrote:
So Matt the Expat and others should not be needlessly deprived of their shiny "Wah-Way" gizmos.


Probably the 3rd time I've asked what exactly your problem is?

A bit odd mate. :uhoh:


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed May 22, 2019 9:15 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 10143
globus wrote:
We've both got Huawei phones but tend not to use the facilities that are at risk.

This is going to be a right bun-fight.


Better check if you’ve still got access to PayPal.


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 95 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

All times are UTC [ DST ]


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: BillW, Bing [Bot], Dark, ElementFreak, Google Adsense [Bot], Google [Bot], Jay Cee Gee, Kiwias, Mr Mike, Pat the Ex Mat, Shrekles, usermame, Uthikoloshe and 1 guest


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group