Chat Forum
It is currently Mon Jun 17, 2019 10:23 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Moby the player
PostPosted: Wed May 22, 2019 4:30 pm 

https://www.theguardian.com/music/2019/ ... ing-memoir

He also says that he worked with and “tried dating” Lizzy Grant (spelled in the book as Lizzie Grant), who went on to become the pop star Lana Del Rey. “She had short, bleached hair and looked like a beautiful elf … I sat next to her on the piano bench and started kissing her. She kissed me back – but then stopped. ‘What’s wrong?’ I asked. “‘I like you. But I hear you do this with a lot of people.’ I wanted to lie, to tell her that I didn’t, that I was chaste, sane, and ethical. But I said nothing.”

What kind of person writes a book about the shags they've had?

Post subject: Re: Moby the player
PostPosted: Wed May 22, 2019 4:33 pm 

He is a reformed heavy drug user and alcoholic by his own admission. Musical genius though

PostPosted: Wed May 22, 2019 4:33 pm 

Newsome wrote:

At a guess, Moby?

PostPosted: Wed May 22, 2019 4:42 pm 

I was pretty disappointed reading his autobiography tbh. I was expecting some sex drugs & rock 'n roll, but it turns out he was a Jesus freak teetotaler as a teenager/early 20s and was just all round much lamer than I expected. I knew about the veganism obviously

It was interesting how him hitting the big time with Go was more an accident than anything else from his telling.

PostPosted: Wed May 22, 2019 4:51 pm 

sewa wrote:
He is a reformed heavy drug user and alcoholic by his own admission. Musical genius though

Not really, no.

PostPosted: Wed May 22, 2019 4:54 pm 

Heymans wrote:
sewa wrote:

Not really, no.

This may surprise you but you are not the sole arbiter of what is or isn't. Play is one of the great albums

PostPosted: Wed May 22, 2019 4:55 pm 

de_Selby wrote:
I was pretty disappointed reading his autobiography tbh. I was expecting some sex drugs & rock 'n roll, but it turns out he was a Jesus freak teetotaler as a teenager/early 20s and was just all round much lamer than I expected. I knew about the veganism obviously

It was interesting how him hitting the big time with Go was more an accident than anything else from his telling.

I dunno. I just find it creepy and weird telling complete strangers intimate details of your sex life.

PostPosted: Wed May 22, 2019 4:57 pm 

sewa wrote:
Heymans wrote:
sewa wrote:

Not really, no.

This may surprise you but you are not the sole arbiter of what is or isn't. Play is one of the great albums

Well if I'm not you aren't either. -

Beethoven is a musical genius. Some dorky guy making 3 minute songs out of 15 seconds sampled loops isn't.

PostPosted: Wed May 22, 2019 4:57 pm 

Newsome wrote:
https://www.theguardian.com/music/2019/may/22/natalie-portman-criticises-moby-friendship-dating-memoir

He also says that he worked with and “tried dating” Lizzy Grant (spelled in the book as Lizzie Grant), who went on to become the pop star Lana Del Rey. “She had short, bleached hair and looked like a beautiful elf … I sat next to her on the piano bench and started kissing her. She kissed me back – but then stopped. ‘What’s wrong?’ I asked. “‘I like you. But I hear you do this with a lot of people.’ I wanted to lie, to tell her that I didn’t, that I was chaste, sane, and ethical. But I said nothing.”

Who knew Moby the Dick ?

Natalie Portman is calling him a fantasist and a creepy old man.

PostPosted: Wed May 22, 2019 4:58 pm 

I quite like some of his music, especially the Bourne theme song - great track to run to

That thing with the penis and Trump is creepy, weird and almost certainly sexual assault...

PostPosted: Wed May 22, 2019 7:27 pm 

He's an odd bloke. I used to listen to an XFM radio show in the late 90s where they would get a band or artist to be the DJ for an hour or two. They could play some of the stuff that influenced them / their favourite tracks of the moment etc. Perhaps slipping a track off their latest album in at the end.

Moby was on it and played his own stuff for the full show.

PostPosted: Wed May 22, 2019 8:15 pm 

And Moby, you can get stomped by Obie
You thirty six year old bald headed fag, blow me
You don't know me, you're too old, let it go its over
Nobody listens to Techno

But Play is indeed one of the great electronic albums.

PostPosted: Wed May 22, 2019 11:10 pm 

I liked Everything Is Wrong. Feeling So Real sounds oh so very 90s chart techno now, but at the time it was a real bridge for fans of rock/indie music to reach across to dance. (For me, anyway, I know some will say “Madchester happened 5 years before”).

PostPosted: Wed May 22, 2019 11:33 pm 

I am Shocked !!! ... :shock: :shock: :shock:

I thought he liked blokes ... :?: :?: :?:

PostPosted: Thu May 23, 2019 12:22 am 

Apparently he said he dated Natalie Portman for a while when she was in her 20s.

She came out and said no, he was a creepy 30 something hitting on her when she was 18. :lol:

PostPosted: Thu May 23, 2019 3:04 am 

I thought this might be about Alex King or Brendan Leonard. Carry on ...

PostPosted: Thu May 23, 2019 3:07 am 

30 year old hitting on a 18 yr old child......

Dirty old man... LOL

Reminds me of a Benny Hill episode..........

PostPosted: Thu May 23, 2019 3:12 am 

Anybody who liked Play went in the poor musical taste category, sacrine over work shit for the masses

PostPosted: Thu May 23, 2019 3:20 am 

Sensible Stephen wrote:
Apparently he said he dated Natalie Portman for a while when she was in her 20s.

She came out and said no, he was a creepy 30 something hitting on her when she was 18. :lol:

Her saying she didn't and he was a creepy old dude has hurt his feelings

Now he is saying she is just embarrassed they dated

Weeeiiiirrrrddddoooooo

https://www.bbc.com/news/entertainment-arts-48365294

PostPosted: Thu May 23, 2019 3:23 am 

So more like Moby Dick, amirite?

PostPosted: Thu May 23, 2019 5:22 am 

Glaston wrote:

Moby's take sounds realistic enough tbh. She would hardly be the first young aspiring actress latching on to a music star even if she doesn't want to admit it after she became big-time. By her own words, they clearly put in time together.
Quote:
"I was a fan and went to one of his shows when I had just graduated. He was on tour and I was working shooting a film, so we only hung out a handful of times..."

PostPosted: Thu May 23, 2019 5:36 am 

Newsome wrote:
https://www.theguardian.com/music/2019/may/22/natalie-portman-criticises-moby-friendship-dating-memoir

Anthony Kiedis

PostPosted: Thu May 23, 2019 5:45 am 

Rugby2023 wrote:
Glaston wrote:

Moby's take sounds realistic enough tbh. She would hardly be the first young aspiring actress latching on to a music star even if she doesn't want to admit it after she became big-time. By her own words, they clearly put in time together.
Quote:
"I was a fan and went to one of his shows when I had just graduated. He was on tour and I was working shooting a film, so we only hung out a handful of times..."

She'd been a lead character in 3 f*cking Star Wars films, I think she was already 'big time' by that stage.....

PostPosted: Thu May 23, 2019 5:49 am 

Glaston wrote:
Newsome wrote:

Who knew Moby the Dick ?

Those photos of her she looks uncomfortable, is that why they chose those ones?

Had no idea who moby was really, I thought it was about some rugby player named Moby, Maybe it should be Moby da Playa?

PostPosted: Thu May 23, 2019 6:13 am 

Harveys wrote:
Newsome wrote:

Anthony Kiedis

Every GnR book, everybody Motley Crue etc etc.

PostPosted: Thu May 23, 2019 6:22 am 

Jay Cee Gee wrote:
Rugby2023 wrote:
Glaston wrote:

Quote:

She'd been a lead character in 3 f*cking Star Wars films, I think she was already 'big time' by that stage.....

Phantom Menace came out in 99, and she wasn’t the Big Name in it. At that stage her career amounted to that and Leon, and a lot of men older than Moby typing “Amidala actress age” into Yahoo Search. Moby had the biggest album in the world that year. If either of them was a bigger star at the time, it was definitely him.

PostPosted: Thu May 23, 2019 6:30 am 

DOB wrote:
Jay Cee Gee wrote:
Rugby2023 wrote:
Glaston wrote:

Quote:

Phantom Menace came out in 99, and she wasn’t the Big Name in it. At that stage her career amounted to that and Leon, and a lot of men older than Moby typing “Amidala actress age” into Yahoo Search. Moby had the biggest album in the world that year. If either of them was a bigger star at the time, it was definitely him.

Regardless, if you've been cast as the lead in a Star Wars film, I think you've kind of made it already and don't need to be latching on to Moby to help your career (and it's f*cken Moby, FFS - he's not exactly the kind of star that becomes half of a Brangelina type power couple).

PostPosted: Thu May 23, 2019 6:35 am 

She'd also been in the greatest blockbuster epic of our age.

Spoiler: show

PostPosted: Thu May 23, 2019 6:50 am 

Jay Cee Gee wrote:
Regardless, if you've been cast as the lead in a Star Wars film, I think you've kind of made it already and don't need to be latching on to Moby to help your career (and it's f*cken Moby, FFS - he's not exactly the kind of star that becomes half of a Brangelina type power couple).

Fcuking JarJar had more lines than her. The kid who had the actual lead role is an archetypal cautionary tale of Hollywood disasters.

PostPosted: Thu May 23, 2019 7:01 am 

Harveys wrote:
Newsome wrote:

Anthony Kiedis

Weird book that one.

I know autobiographies are about the person, but Kiedis's was literally one giant wank over himself

PostPosted: Thu May 23, 2019 7:15 am 

Has anyone seen Globus in the last couple of day?

Just sayin

PostPosted: Thu May 23, 2019 7:20 am 

Dark wrote:
Sensible Stephen wrote:

Her saying she didn't and he was a creepy old dude has hurt his feelings

Now he is saying she is just embarrassed they dated

Weeeiiiirrrrddddoooooo

https://www.bbc.com/news/entertainment-arts-48365294

He's handily provided a photo. What a creeper :lol:

PostPosted: Thu May 23, 2019 8:03 am 

If you where writing your auto wouldn't you want to leave out the fact that you where 35 and dated a 18 year old?

PostPosted: Thu May 23, 2019 8:07 am 

Hopefully he called his book “it’s over, nobody listens to techno”.

PostPosted: Thu May 23, 2019 8:09 am 

Sensible Stephen wrote:

super creepy.

Quote:
Natalie Portman has denied dating Moby in her teens, calling the musician's behaviour "inappropriate".

The actress was responding to Moby's new memoir, in which he claims Portman asked him out after a show in 2001.

"I was a bald binge drinker and Natalie Portman was a beautiful movie star. But here she was in my dressing room, flirting with me," he wrote.

But Portman said the description was inaccurate, calling Moby a "creep" who overstepped his bounds.

Speaking to Harper's Bazaar, she said: "I was surprised to hear that he characterised the very short time that I knew him as dating, because my recollection is a much older man being creepy with me when I just had graduated high school.

"He said I was 20; I definitely wasn't. I was a teenager. I had just turned 18. That he used this story to sell his book was very disturbing to me."

She continued: "I was a fan and went to one of his shows when I had just graduated. He was on tour and I was working shooting a film, so we only hung out a handful of times before I realised that this was an older man who was interested in me in a way that felt inappropriate."

The musician has now responded on Instagram, insisting the pair did date and stayed friends for years.

"I recently read a gossip piece wherein Natalie Portman said that we'd never dated," he wrote. "This confused me, as we did, in fact, date.

"And after briefly dating in 1999 we remained friends for years.

"I like Natalie, and I respect her intelligence and activism.

"But, to be honest, I can't figure out why she would actively misrepresent the truth about our (albeit brief) involvement."

He added: "I completely respect Natalie's possible regret in dating me (to be fair, I would probably regret dating me, too), but it doesn't alter the actual facts of our brief romantic history."

The star says Moby's book contains several "factual errors and inventions"

The book is not the first time Moby has spoken about dating Portman. In 2008, he told Spin magazine they shared a "very brief affair" that made him the target of "nerd wrath".

"You can't date Luke Skywalker's mom and not have them hate your guts," he said, referring to Portman's role in the Star Wars prequels.

In his autobiography, the musician - who sold millions of copies of his 1999 album Play - describes attending the MTV Awards with the actress, and later visiting her while she attended Harvard in Boston.

"I took a taxi to Cambridge to meet Natalie. We held hands and wandered around Harvard, kissing under the centuries-old oak trees. At midnight she brought me to her dorm room and we lay down next to each other on her small bed. After she fell asleep I carefully extracted myself from her arms and took a taxi back to my hotel."

But Portman, who has become one of the leading figures in the Time's Up movement, said the book contained several "factual errors and inventions".

"There was no fact checking from him or his publisher," said the Oscar-winning star of Black Swan. "It almost feels deliberate."

The BBC has contacted Moby's publisher, Faber & Faber, for a comment but has yet to receive a response.

Elsewhere in the book, titled Things Fell Apart, the musician describes dating actress Christina Ricci and a pre-fame Lana Del Rey, then known as Lizzy Grant.

"There's a lot of [famous] names," he admitted to the Telegraph's Craig McLean, "[but] I've learned that libel is more problematic with private figures than public figures.

"If I write about dating Natalie Portman, anyone can Google and find pictures of us together, so it's not libellous.

"But if I talk about an ex-girlfriend from the mid-nineties who I had sex with on a dance floor at a Stevie Nicks club night, and she's now a mom with three kids running for city council, she could sue the hell out of me."

PostPosted: Thu May 23, 2019 8:15 am 

Heymans wrote:
sewa wrote:
Heymans wrote:
sewa wrote:

Not really, no.

Beethoven is a musical genius. Some dorky guy making 3 minute songs out of 15 seconds sampled loops isn't.

Very much this.... :thumbup:

PostPosted: Thu May 23, 2019 8:19 am 

Heymans wrote:
sewa wrote:
Heymans wrote:
sewa wrote:

Not really, no.

Sounds like you read his penis anecdote

PostPosted: Thu May 23, 2019 8:28 am 

Glad he got some excess out of it.

Read Electronic Punks about 20 years ago; lads had him as support act on American tour and it was tofu and banging on their hotel room door to keep the noise down all the way through.

PostPosted: Thu May 23, 2019 9:00 am 

All the crochety old bastards who don't get techno :lol: no one expects you to grandpa

PostPosted: Thu May 23, 2019 9:13 am 

Moby was techno? I thought he was electronic-pop?