All times are UTC [ DST ]

how active are you at your kids school
1. Very active. Fund raisers. PTAs and Governing body. 19%  19%  [ 5 ]
2. Active in going to your kids sports events and school events 31%  31%  [ 8 ]
3. Only your kids sport events 19%  19%  [ 5 ]
4. Not active at all. 31%  31%  [ 8 ]
Total votes : 26
PostPosted: Wed Oct 19, 2016 12:19 pm 

Wifeys giving me lip because I didn't go ( as well as the majority of the parents ) to a vote for a new Governing body member so the vote didn't count.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 19, 2016 12:30 pm 

Phew. No kids at school now but grand-daughter heading that way.

I am as active as an animal in hibernation right now.

There's a big BUT. But I'll keep that to myself.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 19, 2016 12:32 pm 

Fairly active, the wife wants to be a parent governor when the child starts High School.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 19, 2016 12:47 pm 

c69 wrote:
Fairly active, the wife wants to be a parent governor when the child starts High School.

Good luck to her. Being a Governor is a bit of a stinker really. My former wife was a Headmistress and advised me to avoid it.

I ignored her. She was right all along though.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 19, 2016 1:01 pm 

not at all, why would I be

PostPosted: Wed Oct 19, 2016 1:02 pm 

globus wrote:

Thread Globus'd with first reply. Epic reactions there. He's like a cobra, only with anecdotes instead of venom (venom seems to follow his anecdotes tbf)

PostPosted: Wed Oct 19, 2016 1:05 pm 

Wifey is PTA treasurer. We are the schools biggest private donor. That's enough for me. I do go to my kids sport events. Never go to fete's or cake sales etc. Do go to Parent / teachers meetings

PostPosted: Wed Oct 19, 2016 1:17 pm 

backrow wrote:
globus wrote:

Thread Globus'd with first reply. Epic reactions there. He's like a cobra, only with anecdotes instead of venom (venom seems to follow his anecdotes tbf)

And yet he still contributed a more on topic post than you did! Congratulations! You've become the thing you hate, in trying to Globus threads!

As to the thread, not school yet, but nursery, I work from home on days there's "important" things for me to be doing. Last week I helped build the suka (planks of wood, screwed together into a shelter, that is decorated etc). I suspect I'll try and attend things at school as well, but I doubt I'd try and be actively involved as such.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 19, 2016 1:33 pm 

3.5 Occasionally attend sports events when I can afford the time away from work.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 19, 2016 1:34 pm 

Insane_Homer wrote:
3.5 Occasionally attend sports events when I can afford the time away from work.

I don't want to appear to be judgemental , but surely school sports events are on weekends or after school hours....?

PostPosted: Wed Oct 19, 2016 1:36 pm 

c69 wrote:

Is your wife's name Beverly?

PostPosted: Wed Oct 19, 2016 1:37 pm 

c69 wrote:

I am glad we are not the only over protective ones on here....

PostPosted: Wed Oct 19, 2016 1:38 pm 

Sards wrote:
Insane_Homer wrote:

I don't want to appear to be judgemental , but surely school sports events are on weekends or after school hours....?

nope, my son plays club football and I take him every Sunday if my refereeing doesn't clash.

It really only sports day, which is usually around 1pm on a school day, the last one they cancelled without bothering to let us know. I got 5 mins away from the school after taking the afternoon off before I was told by my wife, who'd just arrived earlier to be informed they'd cancelled it but not bothered to text or email the parents... but it was posted on the website. fudge em.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 19, 2016 1:40 pm 

Insane_Homer wrote:
Sards wrote:
Insane_Homer wrote:

nope, my son plays club football and I take him every Sunday if my refereeing doesn't clash.

It really only sports day, which is usually around 1pm on a school day, the last one they cancelled without bothering to let us know. I got 5 mins away from the school after taking the afternoon off before I was told by my wife, who'd just arrived earlier to be informed they'd cancelled it but not bothered to text or email the parents... but it was posted on the website. f**k em.

:thumbup:

How's the reffing going?

PostPosted: Wed Oct 19, 2016 1:44 pm 

Pretty active. Wife is Treasurer on the PTA and helps in class at least once a week. I've helped to organise various bits and bobs for the Christmas Fair and Summer Fete.

I enjoy it to be honest. Decent bunch of people and there's a very good pub right next to the school.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 19, 2016 1:44 pm 

Sards wrote:
How's the reffing going?

I've stopped Society Reffing. I only help out at the local club for junior league matches 2 weekends a month. Don't have the time or inclination to want to commit more. It's gone from being fun to being a f**king pain the arse chore.

and the administrators, they've gone f**king mental.

this year U14 rules, uncontested line outs, on safety grounds. So they catch it, no jumping required, pass it to the 9, who passed it to the 10 who then gets clattered by the 8,7,6 who were waiting at the back of the line out... It's Pathetic. whoever thought it was a good idea needs to get shot in the head.

a late change so the coaches haven't cottoned onto either mauling to bring the players in or having reduced numbers to force them back 10 meters.

U13 no line outs at all. League style restart.

I reffed my first game of the year this weekend, a bit rusty.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 19, 2016 2:08 pm 

Raggs wrote:
backrow wrote:
globus wrote:

And yet he still contributed a more on topic post than you did! Congratulations! You've become the thing you hate, in trying to Globus threads!

As to the thread, not school yet, but nursery, I work from home on days there's "important" things for me to be doing. Last week I helped build the suka (planks of wood, screwed together into a shelter, that is decorated etc). I suspect I'll try and attend things at school as well, but I doubt I'd try and be actively involved as such.

Farkorf !

I get dragged to some of my kids stuff - unbearably shite
Awful assemblies where every kid gets a line and a token ethnic given a major part
Sports days with non competitive run 2 metres and place the bean bag on the hoop kind of crap, everyone gets a medal

Pure lefty drivel imho

PostPosted: Wed Oct 19, 2016 2:35 pm 

backrow wrote:
Raggs wrote:
backrow wrote:
globus wrote:

Farkorf !

Awful assemblies where every kid gets a line and a token ethnic given a major part
Sports days with non competitive run 2 metres and place the bean bag on the hoop kind of crap, everyone gets a medal

Pure lefty drivel imho

I had a right go at the headmistress of the Perse School for Girls in Cambridge.

In front of the assembly of parents.

I might appear to be the elderly inebriate, but when I get going ..........

Sports Day was a bit different the next year.

I lost the parents' egg and spoon race owing to a lack of juggling skills over the ropes.

My daughter was a hopeless athlete, her mother was Irish, so what do you expect?

But other qualities, Globus based, came to the fore.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 19, 2016 2:37 pm 

Was deptuty chairman of the PTFA, quit last year as the headmistress has made ptfa activity almost unbearable. Still make and run the bar at events which demand it.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 19, 2016 2:40 pm 

theo wrote:
Pretty active. Wife is Treasurer on the PTA and helps in class at least once a week. I've helped to organise various bits and bobs for the Christmas Fair and Summer Fete.

I enjoy it to be honest. Decent bunch of people and there's a very good pub right next to the school.

:thumbup:

PostPosted: Wed Oct 19, 2016 2:46 pm 

bimboman wrote:
Was deptuty chairman of the PTFA, quit last year as the headmistress has made ptfa activity almost unbearable. Still make and run the bar at events which demand it.

At least you made an effort..... :thumbup:

PostPosted: Wed Oct 19, 2016 2:46 pm 

I'm founder and Governor of our local primary school... it was great at first but as the school has grown it has become more and more of a bind.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 19, 2016 2:51 pm 

globus wrote:

Personally, I'm relieved with this news.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 19, 2016 2:53 pm 

backrow wrote:
Raggs wrote:
backrow wrote:
globus wrote:

Farkorf !

Pure lefty drivel imho

nice bit of gratuitous racism ,doubtless in your day it was all character building stuff like 20 mile cross country hopping and wrestling the school bear and smiling bravely as the school bully referred to you as Gypsy boy

PostPosted: Wed Oct 19, 2016 3:21 pm 

globus wrote:
backrow wrote:
Raggs wrote:
backrow wrote:
globus wrote:

Farkorf !

Pure lefty drivel imho

I had a right go at the headmistress of the Perse School for Girls in Cambridge.

I might appear to be the elderly inebriate, but when I get going ..........

Sports Day was a bit different the next year.

I lost the parents' egg and spoon race owing to a lack of juggling skills over the ropes.

My daughter was a hopeless athlete, her mother was Irish, so what do you expect?

But other qualities, Globus based, came to the fore.

She could suck a golf ball through a hose?

PostPosted: Wed Oct 19, 2016 3:57 pm 

None at all but my daughter is at a private school in Clapham so they don't need volunteers.

The security clearance required always puts me off anyway.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 19, 2016 4:32 pm 

MSH wrote:

Depends on whether it's a stocking or not.

Probably. I'm a bit careful in the lower regions these days. The Management isn't. (Thank the Lord.)

PostPosted: Wed Oct 19, 2016 4:45 pm 

:?

PostPosted: Wed Oct 19, 2016 4:46 pm 

globus wrote:
MSH wrote:

Depends on whether it's a stocking or not.

Probably. I'm a bit careful in the lower regions these days. The Management isn't. (Thank the Lord.)

:lol:

You're a good man Globby! You take a fair bit of stick from some, but rise above magnificently. :thumbup:

PostPosted: Wed Oct 19, 2016 4:55 pm 

Over the eleven year period after firstborn started primary school and thirdborn left, my wife was a governor for most of that time. By the end, she was chair and didn't manage to offload that responsibility for a further 3 years. My contribution came from my pocket, attending school events and looking after the kids on the innumerable evenings upon which wife had meetings. I feel I've done my fair share. There were just over 200 children at that school. When they moved on to secondary school (one forever associated with Ian Huntley... /globus mode) we cut down our involvement as there were over 1500 kids to provide familial support.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 19, 2016 5:02 pm 

The two girls were murdered and dumped on my family's land.

My wife had duties at Soham.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 07, 2019 8:10 pm 

globus wrote:
The two girls were murdered and dumped on my family's land.

My wife had duties at Soham.

:( :( :( That's awful. I can remember that happening.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 07, 2019 8:38 pm 

globus wrote:

What a w@nker. Bet he felt the big man afterwards

PostPosted: Fri Jun 07, 2019 8:52 pm 

<<Gary Glitter mode on >>

Very...

PostPosted: Fri Jun 07, 2019 9:04 pm 

TB63 wrote:
<<Gary Glitter mode on >>

Very...

It doesn’t have to be your kid’s school either.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 07, 2019 9:05 pm 

Well, I registered her for a school, does that count?

PostPosted: Fri Jun 07, 2019 10:44 pm 

Our first started primary school this year. The Dads of the school run these “Shed Nights” where someone will host the Dads and any other guys that want to come along. Fireplace, BBQ, footy on TV and a cash bar. They have raffles etc. It’s a very rugby club rooms feel. All the profits go the the school for sports equipment.

I’ve only been to one so far (was away for the second). They are a great way to meet other Dads which makes it more likely to attend and chat at sports days, volunteering days etc. sheer, food and footy is great.

These have been going for over 20 years. Highly recommended.
If you try and leave at about 10pm everyone will twist your are to stay for “one more for the kids”!

PostPosted: Fri Jun 07, 2019 10:45 pm 

That sounds like a really good way to get fathers involved.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 07, 2019 11:00 pm 

It great. Especially as I’m 38 and we have moved to a smaller town so you get a chance to meet people.

In the past they have golf days, bus trips to Melbourne for an AFL game. The stalwarts say it depends on what group of Dads are around that year. The principal, sports teacher and priest have been known to call in for a few cans.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 08, 2019 3:10 am 

JPRIG wrote:
I'm getting roped into helping at my kids PTA by the head (there is a pun in there!). The school needs about £10k a year minimum just to cover a shortfall in central funds. I've dabbled in helping a PTA before at a different school and it was a nightmare - riven by politics and personal fiefdom if you can believe! I'm not sure it will quite as bad this time as just getting anyone to do it seems a bigger problem than dislodging any incumbents.

Any horror stories, tips, advice and warnings. I think I'd like to help as the teachers are worth the effort, they do a great job and the school is on a good trajectory. Sending out mass emails to every parent/carer about events is easy enough but I already seem to get about 20 emails a week from the school about all sorts of crap that I never bother to click on already so news of a quiz night or jumble sale will likely not sell just pumping out emails.

Is it a thankless chore that will likely burn far more hours than I can fathom or do I just co-opt some hard working MILFs to do all the work for me and then take all the credit?

Who's this British Imposter?