Chat Forum
It is currently Wed Aug 21, 2019 8:59 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 995 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25  Next
 Post subject: Re: Tour de France 2019
PostPosted: Sat Jul 27, 2019 9:00 am 

I am actually happy that the tour will be won by a pure climber (although Bernal is a decent TT) and not by a powerful rider with a diesel engine. It makes a nice change and mountains were fun to watch.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 27, 2019 9:22 am 

LandOTurk wrote:
DOB wrote:
Xupi wrote:
Miguel Indurain wrote:
Without a supporting team, its next to impossible to successfully defend the maillot in week 3 of the Tour, or any other three week race against riders who have numbers in their team still.
It's indeed very tough (Roglic in this year's Giro) but it's been done before. Can't remember Cadel Evans having a great supporting team when he won.

Lemond in 89 had a team full of Belgian classics riders. So just as well he didn’t have the jersey for very long to ask anyone to defend it for him.

DOB can I ask your age. You seem to have a lengthy historic knowledge on Le Tour.

Late 50s

PostPosted: Sat Jul 27, 2019 10:57 am 

I understand why they have done it.
But has any stage been cut by more than 50% in distance before?

PostPosted: Sat Jul 27, 2019 12:56 pm 

SaintK wrote:

Cut a bunch of distance off the 1996 Sestriere stage, again bad weather.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 27, 2019 1:02 pm 

johnstrac wrote:
SaintK wrote:

Cut a bunch of distance off the 1996 Sestriere stage, again bad weather.

Aah, thanks
I just couldn't recall it happening before

PostPosted: Sat Jul 27, 2019 1:31 pm 

Quote:
France TV just reporting the stage might finish 11 km lower on Val Thorens. The decision will be taken when they are at the foot of the climb.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 27, 2019 1:49 pm 

Bit of a farce this tour.

The last 3 days were supposed to decide everything. 2 of those 3 turned into a damp squib.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 27, 2019 1:51 pm 

TheFrog wrote:
I am actually happy that the tour will be won by a pure climber (although Bernal is a decent TT) and not by a powerful rider with a diesel engine. It makes a nice change and mountains were fun to watch.

This years tour was made specifically for Bardet.
Couldn't make the most of a route specifically made for him. Pinot the legend however was an able deputy.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 27, 2019 2:06 pm 

Never considered the bikes themselves much but I see Ineos use Pinarello and our local cycle shop sells one model at £12 000. Is this the sort of price of bikes used in the topmost road races or are they even more hideously expensive?

PostPosted: Sat Jul 27, 2019 2:12 pm 

tabascoboy wrote:
Never considered the bikes themselves much but I see Ineos use Pinarello and our local cycle shop sells one model at £12 000. Is this the sort of price of bikes used in the topmost road races or are they even more hideously expensive?

The guy who owns my local bike shop has a 12k race bike, of course he has it at retail price. I do not think there's anything available much above this.

A semi serious weekend warrior would spend 2-4k on a bike. Few ppl would spend more than that from my experience.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 27, 2019 2:16 pm 

Leffe wrote:
tabascoboy wrote:

The guy who owns my local bike shop has a 12k race bike, of course he has it at retail price. I do not think there's anything available much above this.

A semi serious weekend warrior would spend 2-4k on a bike. Few ppl would spend more than that from my experience.
*laughs in timetrialer*

PostPosted: Sat Jul 27, 2019 2:17 pm 

I assume the ones for the teams are pretty much custom built for the individual riders and each rider will have a few on standby too. Expensive business! Shame today's stage had to be shortened but it has been a great TdF so far though TBH I've only followed text updates...

PostPosted: Sat Jul 27, 2019 2:29 pm 

tabascoboy wrote:
I assume the ones for the teams are pretty much custom built for the individual riders and each rider will have a few on standby too. Expensive business! Shame today's stage had to be shortened but it has been a great TdF so far though TBH I've only followed text updates...

The carbon frames are generally off-the-peg, standard sizes, and fine tuning of position is done at the level of things like stem length and saddle height and crank length. Customization comes down to things like the paint jobs (to match world/national champs kit, leader jerseys, etc) and non-sponsor components (oval chainrings, oversized bearings). 3-D printed time trail handlebars is one of the newest fads.

There are a few “special edition” frames that some teams create (Dan Martin is riding a special Colnago at this Tour, for all the good its doing him), but even those have to be commercially available. And the difference comes down to an ultra-lightweight coat of paint.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 27, 2019 2:33 pm 

Thanks DOB!

PostPosted: Sat Jul 27, 2019 2:41 pm 

DOB wrote:
tabascoboy wrote:

The carbon frames are generally off-the-peg, standard sizes, and fine tuning of position is done at the level of things like stem length and saddle height and crank length. Customization comes down to things like the paint jobs (to match world/national champs kit, leader jerseys, etc) and non-sponsor components (oval chainrings, oversized bearings). 3-D printed time trail handlebars is one of the newest fads.

There are a few “special edition” frames that some teams create (Dan Martin is riding a special Colnago at this Tour, for all the good its doing him), but even those have to be commercially available. And the difference comes down to an ultra-lightweight coat of paint.

I don't think it's unusual for a weekend warrior to have their components specifically fitted for their own measurements. I had a fitting that accounted for my flexibility as well as dimensions.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 27, 2019 3:02 pm 

It's all turning to shit for the frogs at this point.. sad to see.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 27, 2019 3:04 pm 

Massively long ad break on ITV4, hope nothing's happening in the race...

PostPosted: Sat Jul 27, 2019 3:05 pm 

tabascoboy wrote:

Was just thinking that.

Lads come on, there's 10k to go in a crucial stage

PostPosted: Sat Jul 27, 2019 3:05 pm 

Leffe wrote:
DOB wrote:
tabascoboy wrote:

I don't think it's unusual for a weekend warrior to have their components specifically fitted for their own measurements. I had a fitting that accounted for my flexibility as well as dimensions.

Absolutely. I fitted a longer stem to my bike. Just pointing that out by way of contrast with the days of steel frames when top riders would go to their favorite frame builder and get the frame built millimeter perfect for their exact dimensions. That’s pretty much impossible in this day and age.

Alaf cracking under the Jumbo pressure. Kruiswijk clearly fighting for 3rd.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 27, 2019 3:08 pm 

Bardet dropped too?

PostPosted: Sat Jul 27, 2019 3:08 pm 

Fair dues to Kruiswijk, hope he makes the podium.

ITV4 seem to be putting 6 hours worth of commercials into today's 3 hours of coverage :x

PostPosted: Sat Jul 27, 2019 3:12 pm 

Margin_Walker wrote:
tabascoboy wrote:

Was just thinking that.

Lads come on, there's 10k to go in a crucial stage

They do one long one and it’s uninterupted till the top (well they did in other mountain top finish stages)

PostPosted: Sat Jul 27, 2019 3:23 pm 

Nibbles may hold on for the win here. Unless Bernal is unleashed in the final 3km or so.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 27, 2019 3:26 pm 

Gap's coming down

...not fast enough

PostPosted: Sat Jul 27, 2019 3:30 pm 

Well done Nibali! true grit

PostPosted: Sat Jul 27, 2019 3:32 pm 

Well done Nibali - great ride.

The stage was just too short to make a difference for the GC. But looks like Ineos wouldn't have let much happen anyway.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 27, 2019 3:34 pm 

Well that rather fizzled out

PostPosted: Sat Jul 27, 2019 3:35 pm 

Bardet keeps the Polka Dot they are saying.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 27, 2019 3:36 pm 

So Ineos 1 and 2, despite having a few team members off colour. Fair play. They found a way.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 27, 2019 3:40 pm 

terryfinch wrote:
So Ineos 1 and 2, despite having a few team members off colour. Fair play. They found a way.

Best two riders in the race after the French challenge dropped away.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 27, 2019 3:50 pm 

Be interesting if next years TdF had more TT elements and Dumoulin is back how Bernal will go. How did he do in the TT?

When is nexts years route made public?

PostPosted: Sat Jul 27, 2019 4:08 pm 

nardol wrote:
Be interesting if next years TdF had more TT elements and Dumoulin is back how Bernal will go. How did he do in the TT?

When is next years route made public?

Mid October usually, I'm waiting to see what stage next years Etape du Tour will be, hopefully Pyrenean (sic?).

PostPosted: Sat Jul 27, 2019 4:13 pm 

nardol wrote:

Bernal lost loads of time in the ITT. He’ll be better next year though as he’s so young.

Amazing achievement to win the tour at just 22. He could be the dominant stage racer for the next ten years. Just an incredible rider.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 27, 2019 4:51 pm 

Brilliant for Bernal, delighted for him fantastic rider. Imagine that this is just the beginning :shock:

Massive year for South American cycling. Chapeau to them.

Last edited by Bullettyme on Sat Jul 27, 2019 4:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 27, 2019 4:52 pm 

Youngest TDF winner ever (subject to Sunday). Loco-mbians also party best. Geraint an extremely able, decent and deserved runner up.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 27, 2019 5:06 pm 

DOB wrote:
Absolutely. I fitted a longer stem to my bike. Just pointing that out by way of contrast with the days of steel frames when top riders would go to their favorite frame builder and get the frame built millimeter perfect for their exact dimensions. That’s pretty much impossible in this day and age.

this guy makes custom carbon frames. I went with steel but he is never going to sponsor a tdf team...

PostPosted: Sat Jul 27, 2019 5:09 pm 

DOB wrote:
Leffe wrote:
DOB wrote:
tabascoboy wrote:

Yup. And the preferred geometry changes over time. Look at the climbing position of Armstrong and Ulrucht vs today's riders. Way more upright and impressed nowadays. This really seems to have sorted my knees out and I feel like I'm delivering more power.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 27, 2019 5:50 pm 

shereblue wrote:
Youngest TDF winner ever (subject to Sunday). Loco-mbians also party best. Geraint an extremely able, decent and deserved runner up.

Henri Cornet would argue that point.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 27, 2019 6:41 pm 

nardol wrote:

Bernal had a bad day in the TT, but he’s usually pretty reliable there. He won’t lose the sort of time that a Quintana or Bardet can.

Dumoulin is rumoured to be/almost definitely going to Jumbo-Visma for next season, so will have way more support than he’s ever had in the Team Sunweb organization. The question is how will co-leadership work between him, Roglic and Kruiswijk. But then, it’s a question Sky/Ineos have had no trouble answering the last few years (the 2011 Vuelta was really the last time it was any sort of problem).

Alaphilippe won’t be able to catch anyone by surprise like this next year, and it sounds like even if Quickstep had an interest in switching focus to GC, they don’t have time or funds to alter their squad makeup and goals for next season. Which is a shame, as I’d love to see him give it another crack. But I’d hate to see him sacrifice his classics season to do it.

I hope Pinot can, just once, get a blemish-free run at the Tour, while he still has the legs he had this year.

Sky/Ineos have now won 7 TdFs in 8 years with 4 different riders. Taking nothing away from that phenomenal achievement, hopefully the funding that Jumbo-Visma are bringing to the table will be well spent and they can represent a genuine competitor to Ineos, rather than the disorganized rabble of Movistar or the ghost of failed Rabobank gc contenders past.

Oh, and I’m 41. The first Tour I watched properly was Indurain in 1991. I have read a lot about previous years, particularly the Kelly/Roche era of the 80s.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 27, 2019 6:52 pm 

DOB wrote:
Leffe wrote:
DOB wrote:
tabascoboy wrote:

Sizing is very very important. If you're going to spend time training/racing, you want to have a bike which is comfortable, fitted, and is literally an extension of your body frame.
In the old days frame builders were priceless. There are still riders who insist on using frame builders still.

But the most important thing on a bike is the engine, namely the cyclist. If your not in optimum shape, frames and other accessories are meaningless.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 995 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25  Next