Chat Forum
It is currently Mon Dec 09, 2019 11:16 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 2673 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19 ... 67  Next
Author Message
 Post subject: Re: Ashes 2019
PostPosted: Wed Aug 07, 2019 3:16 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 7621
happyhooker wrote:
Smith needs 512 runs to overtake bradman in ashes runs scored.

What are the odds that he does it this series.

Congratulations Aussies, that was comprehensive. Apart from bonzaboy, you repellent, spite filled waste of oxygen.


According to ESPNCricinfo Bradman scored 5028 runs and Smith has scored 2312 in Ashes matches.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Ashes 2019
PostPosted: Wed Aug 07, 2019 9:10 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 21019
Hmm, that was taken from a normally reliable twitter so I didn't check it


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Ashes 2019
PostPosted: Wed Aug 07, 2019 9:16 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sun Sep 16, 2012 5:34 am
Posts: 17256
happyhooker wrote:
Hmm, that was taken from a normally reliable twitter so I didn't check it

Maybe next time check the bullshit you post before posting.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Ashes 2019
PostPosted: Wed Aug 07, 2019 9:57 am 
Online
User avatar

Joined: Fri Jun 21, 2013 11:33 am
Posts: 9485
Location: Stockholm
ElementFreak wrote:
happyhooker wrote:
Smith needs 512 runs to overtake bradman in ashes runs scored.

What are the odds that he does it this series.

Congratulations Aussies, that was comprehensive. Apart from bonzaboy, you repellent, spite filled waste of oxygen.


According to ESPNCricinfo Bradman scored 5028 runs and Smith has scored 2312 in Ashes matches.

Maybe both are correct. Maybe the first thing is saying that he needs 512 to over-take Bradman's record in a single series? Which would mean he has 4 matches left (probably 8 innings) to score 512 runs (64 runs an innings).

... and the second thing is "total runs in all Ashes matches, ever"?


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Ashes 2019
PostPosted: Wed Aug 07, 2019 10:31 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 13978
Location: South Oxfordshire
Mog The Almighty wrote:
ElementFreak wrote:
happyhooker wrote:
Smith needs 512 runs to overtake bradman in ashes runs scored.

What are the odds that he does it this series.

Congratulations Aussies, that was comprehensive. Apart from bonzaboy, you repellent, spite filled waste of oxygen.


According to ESPNCricinfo Bradman scored 5028 runs and Smith has scored 2312 in Ashes matches.

Maybe both are correct. Maybe the first thing is saying that he needs 512 to over-take Bradman's record in a single series? Which would mean he has 4 matches left (probably 8 innings) to score 512 runs (64 runs an innings).

... and the second thing is "total runs in all Ashes matches, ever"?


For a series, Bradman scored 974 in 1930

In recent times, the record is Mark Taylor with 839 in 1989 (should be starred as it wasn't against a Test quality side), Cook, with 766 in 10/11, Gower with 732 in 85, and Smith with 687 in 17/18

Bradman leads the way in total Ashes runs - again in modern times it would be Border with 3222, Steve Waugh with 3173, Gower with 3037, Edrich with 2644, etc

So I have no idea what the 512 runs thing is, but it's not most Ashes runs, or most Ashes runs in a series


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Ashes 2019
PostPosted: Wed Aug 07, 2019 10:35 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 5713
Location: Vandean Coast
Most runs to Bunnings during the drinks break?


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Ashes 2019
PostPosted: Wed Aug 07, 2019 11:43 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 21019
CrazyIslander wrote:
happyhooker wrote:
Hmm, that was taken from a normally reliable twitter so I didn't check it

Maybe next time check the bullshit you post before posting.

Hello mr pot.

Sorry to the rest of you.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Ashes 2019
PostPosted: Wed Aug 07, 2019 11:54 am 
Offline

Joined: Sat Oct 27, 2012 10:53 am
Posts: 1443
Location: LHI
happyhooker wrote:
CrazyIslander wrote:
happyhooker wrote:
Hmm, that was taken from a normally reliable twitter so I didn't check it

Maybe next time check the bullshit you post before posting.

Hello mr pot.

Sorry to the rest of you.



Bradman’s 970 something is the record for most runs in an Ashes series.

Dunno why CI went weird about that.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Ashes 2019
PostPosted: Wed Aug 07, 2019 12:00 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 2576
Location: Leafiest Cheshire (East)
rett wrote:
happyhooker wrote:
CrazyIslander wrote:
happyhooker wrote:
Hmm, that was taken from a normally reliable twitter so I didn't check it

Maybe next time check the bullshit you post before posting.

Hello mr pot.

Sorry to the rest of you.



Bradman’s 970 something is the record for most runs in an Ashes series.

Dunno why CI went weird about that.


He’s crazy!


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Ashes 2019
PostPosted: Wed Aug 07, 2019 1:44 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 21019
Stone ruled out of contention


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Ashes 2019
PostPosted: Wed Aug 07, 2019 2:03 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 6866
With Stone gone - they just need to chuck Archer in and see how it goes.

He is fast and accurate - and seems to be pretty mature with guidance and what is expected of him.

Him, Woakes, Broad and Stokes should be a decent pace attack at Lords. Leach replacing Ali?


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Ashes 2019
PostPosted: Wed Aug 07, 2019 2:41 pm 
Online
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jul 30, 2013 8:57 pm
Posts: 10629
Gazzamonster wrote:
With Stone gone - they just need to chuck Archer in and see how it goes.

He is fast and accurate - and seems to be pretty mature with guidance and what is expected of him.

Him, Woakes, Broad and Stokes should be a decent pace attack at Lords. Leach replacing Ali?


He took 6/27 and scored 100 at a run a ball in a second XI game the other day, but I'm not sure he is really fit enough for a five day test yet. It would be madness to throw him in and then ruin him for the rest of the year.

So I imagine that is exactly what will happen.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Ashes 2019
PostPosted: Wed Aug 07, 2019 3:19 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 6866
A5D5E5 wrote:
Gazzamonster wrote:
With Stone gone - they just need to chuck Archer in and see how it goes.

He is fast and accurate - and seems to be pretty mature with guidance and what is expected of him.

Him, Woakes, Broad and Stokes should be a decent pace attack at Lords. Leach replacing Ali?


He took 6/27 and scored 100 at a run a ball in a second XI game the other day, but I'm not sure he is really fit enough for a five day test yet. It would be madness to throw him in and then ruin him for the rest of the year.

So I imagine that is exactly what will happen.


Well Jason Gillespie (Sussex coach) seems to think he is 100% fit and was surprised that he didn't play the 1st test.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Ashes 2019
PostPosted: Wed Aug 07, 2019 3:25 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 13978
Location: South Oxfordshire
Gazzamonster wrote:
A5D5E5 wrote:
Gazzamonster wrote:
With Stone gone - they just need to chuck Archer in and see how it goes.

He is fast and accurate - and seems to be pretty mature with guidance and what is expected of him.

Him, Woakes, Broad and Stokes should be a decent pace attack at Lords. Leach replacing Ali?


He took 6/27 and scored 100 at a run a ball in a second XI game the other day, but I'm not sure he is really fit enough for a five day test yet. It would be madness to throw him in and then ruin him for the rest of the year.

So I imagine that is exactly what will happen.


Well Jason Gillespie (Sussex coach) seems to think he is 100% fit and was surprised that he didn't play the 1st test.


The trouble is that both Archer and Anderson were supposed to be fit, but neither had had a runout before the test match. So the selectors went conservative (correctly so IMHO) and went with what they thought would be the best bet in Anderson. That obviously didn't work out, but imagine if both Anderson and Archer had gone croc on day 1. Australia might still be in their first innings right now, at something like 2,500 for 3. Smith would already have Bradman's record


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Ashes 2019
PostPosted: Wed Aug 07, 2019 3:32 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 6866
Saint wrote:
Gazzamonster wrote:
A5D5E5 wrote:
Gazzamonster wrote:
With Stone gone - they just need to chuck Archer in and see how it goes.

He is fast and accurate - and seems to be pretty mature with guidance and what is expected of him.

Him, Woakes, Broad and Stokes should be a decent pace attack at Lords. Leach replacing Ali?


He took 6/27 and scored 100 at a run a ball in a second XI game the other day, but I'm not sure he is really fit enough for a five day test yet. It would be madness to throw him in and then ruin him for the rest of the year.

So I imagine that is exactly what will happen.


Well Jason Gillespie (Sussex coach) seems to think he is 100% fit and was surprised that he didn't play the 1st test.


The trouble is that both Archer and Anderson were supposed to be fit, but neither had had a runout before the test match. So the selectors went conservative (correctly so IMHO) and went with what they thought would be the best bet in Anderson. That obviously didn't work out, but imagine if both Anderson and Archer had gone croc on day 1. Australia might still be in their first innings right now, at something like 2,500 for 3. Smith would already have Bradman's record


Are they worried that Archer might break down or not be effective?

Cause the breakdown thing is perhaps negated by Archers age (he's not a crumbling old man like Jimmy).

Regarding Archer not having 'test' time - the lad seems gifted enough to be able to modify quickly to the format. Maybe not hitting his straps in this test....but definitely the 3rd test?

I don't know why but I am amping to see him bowl in tests. I reckon he is going to be an absolute superstar.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Ashes 2019
PostPosted: Wed Aug 07, 2019 3:38 pm 
Online
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jul 30, 2013 8:57 pm
Posts: 10629
.


Last edited by A5D5E5 on Wed Aug 07, 2019 3:40 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Ashes 2019
PostPosted: Wed Aug 07, 2019 3:38 pm 
Online
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jul 30, 2013 8:57 pm
Posts: 10629
Gazzamonster wrote:
Saint wrote:
Gazzamonster wrote:
A5D5E5 wrote:
Gazzamonster wrote:
With Stone gone - they just need to chuck Archer in and see how it goes.

He is fast and accurate - and seems to be pretty mature with guidance and what is expected of him.

Him, Woakes, Broad and Stokes should be a decent pace attack at Lords. Leach replacing Ali?


He took 6/27 and scored 100 at a run a ball in a second XI game the other day, but I'm not sure he is really fit enough for a five day test yet. It would be madness to throw him in and then ruin him for the rest of the year.

So I imagine that is exactly what will happen.


Well Jason Gillespie (Sussex coach) seems to think he is 100% fit and was surprised that he didn't play the 1st test.


The trouble is that both Archer and Anderson were supposed to be fit, but neither had had a runout before the test match. So the selectors went conservative (correctly so IMHO) and went with what they thought would be the best bet in Anderson. That obviously didn't work out, but imagine if both Anderson and Archer had gone croc on day 1. Australia might still be in their first innings right now, at something like 2,500 for 3. Smith would already have Bradman's record


Are they worried that Archer might break down or not be effective?

Cause the breakdown thing is perhaps negated by Archers age (he's not a crumbling old man like Jimmy).

Regarding Archer not having 'test' time - the lad seems gifted enough to be able to modify quickly to the format. Maybe not hitting his straps in this test....but definitely the 3rd test?

I don't know why but I am amping to see him bowl in tests. I reckon he is going to be an absolute superstar.


I don't know about superstar, but I expect him to be a fixture in the team from his debut onwards. However, he had a side strain throughout the world cup and so I am nervous about rushing him back. Notwithstanding what Gilespie thinks.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Ashes 2019
PostPosted: Wed Aug 07, 2019 3:44 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 2576
Location: Leafiest Cheshire (East)
I remember reading a piece about Bradman where Bradman himself reckoned that he wasn’t significantly more talented than his peers (at least not as much as the average differential anyway).

He did, however, feel that he had the ability to concentrate keenly for much longer periods than his peers, and so was prone to less mistakes.

I think Smith certainly shares this ability. He seems utterly in the zone when he is batting.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Ashes 2019
PostPosted: Wed Aug 07, 2019 3:48 pm 
Offline

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 5224
Gazzamonster wrote:
With Stone gone - they just need to chuck Archer in and see how it goes.

He is fast and accurate - and seems to be pretty mature with guidance and what is expected of him.

Him, Woakes, Broad and Stokes should be a decent pace attack at Lords. Leach replacing Ali?

Mike Selvey made a good argument for retaining Ali as a bowler. Left arm off spin is not ideal for comating the Aussie left handers. Right arm off has a statistically the best chance against them... but....


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Ashes 2019
PostPosted: Wed Aug 07, 2019 4:11 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 35267
Selvey is a bit of a muppet, though.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Ashes 2019
PostPosted: Wed Aug 07, 2019 4:32 pm 
Offline

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 5224
JM2K6 wrote:
Selvey is a bit of a muppet, though.

I like him. Hes the right kind of curmudgeon.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Ashes 2019
PostPosted: Wed Aug 07, 2019 4:36 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 13978
Location: South Oxfordshire
Gazzamonster wrote:
Saint wrote:
Gazzamonster wrote:
A5D5E5 wrote:
Gazzamonster wrote:
With Stone gone - they just need to chuck Archer in and see how it goes.

He is fast and accurate - and seems to be pretty mature with guidance and what is expected of him.

Him, Woakes, Broad and Stokes should be a decent pace attack at Lords. Leach replacing Ali?


He took 6/27 and scored 100 at a run a ball in a second XI game the other day, but I'm not sure he is really fit enough for a five day test yet. It would be madness to throw him in and then ruin him for the rest of the year.

So I imagine that is exactly what will happen.


Well Jason Gillespie (Sussex coach) seems to think he is 100% fit and was surprised that he didn't play the 1st test.


The trouble is that both Archer and Anderson were supposed to be fit, but neither had had a runout before the test match. So the selectors went conservative (correctly so IMHO) and went with what they thought would be the best bet in Anderson. That obviously didn't work out, but imagine if both Anderson and Archer had gone croc on day 1. Australia might still be in their first innings right now, at something like 2,500 for 3. Smith would already have Bradman's record


Are they worried that Archer might break down or not be effective?

Cause the breakdown thing is perhaps negated by Archers age (he's not a crumbling old man like Jimmy).

Regarding Archer not having 'test' time - the lad seems gifted enough to be able to modify quickly to the format. Maybe not hitting his straps in this test....but definitely the 3rd test?

I don't know why but I am amping to see him bowl in tests. I reckon he is going to be an absolute superstar.


Archer is coming off a side strain himself - He certainly wasn't it at the end of the World Cup which is why he took a couple of weeks off on holiday and wasn't available for the Ireland match.

I don't have an issue with him WRT experience - everyone has to start somewhere - but with both him and Jimmy coming back of injury with no multiday cricket played, you could only realistically pick one of them for the first test


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Ashes 2019
PostPosted: Wed Aug 07, 2019 6:26 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 35267
etherman wrote:
JM2K6 wrote:
Selvey is a bit of a muppet, though.

I like him. Hes the right kind of curmudgeon.

He's so far up the ECB's arse he's poking out the mouth. He's an establishment apologist of the highest order, sneers at fans of the sport, is rarely right, and is a dour twat on top of that.

For a guy who was a middling player at best he acts like he is the be all and end all of cricket knowledge against all available evidence and bears grudges like no-one else.

There's worse pundits and "journalists" knocking around, but there's lots and lots and lots of better ones.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Ashes 2019
PostPosted: Wed Aug 07, 2019 6:37 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 20463
Location: Stellenbosch
England will fight back. They need to adjust to test match cricket. Head changes is all they need.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Ashes 2019
PostPosted: Wed Aug 07, 2019 7:11 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 35267
OomPB wrote:
England will fight back. They need to adjust to test match cricket. Head changes is all they need.


Shouldn't take more than a few years.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Ashes 2019
PostPosted: Wed Aug 07, 2019 7:29 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 21019
JM2K6 wrote:
OomPB wrote:
England will fight back. They need to adjust to test match cricket. Head changes is all they need.


Shouldn't take more than a few years.

Bloody hell, when did you start thinking this positively


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Ashes 2019
PostPosted: Wed Aug 07, 2019 7:52 pm 
Online
User avatar

Joined: Fri Jun 21, 2013 11:33 am
Posts: 9485
Location: Stockholm
happyhooker wrote:
JM2K6 wrote:
OomPB wrote:
England will fight back. They need to adjust to test match cricket. Head changes is all they need.


Shouldn't take more than a few years.

Bloody hell, when did you start thinking this positively

:lol: In my opinion you'd have to be crazy to write off World Cup winners, who we havent beat at home since 2001 in a series, England at this stage. If It were not for Smiths heroics it could have easily been a disaster the other way. As good as he is, hes one man, and its entirely possible for Smith to underperform -- or ffs even do "just good" and get out for 50 instead of 150 -- and it would be an entirely different story. Our success basically revolved around Smith. Keep him at even just a "decent" performance and it's a totally different match.

I'm in awe of Smith's batting prowess but even I can see the obvious here. He's one man. He could got out for 5 runs next match. Any game where England would be favourites in one ball is not clear cut nor worth self flagellation.

Especially with some of my compatriots calling down the Mockers. He's basically destined for a duck next match.


Last edited by Mog The Almighty on Wed Aug 07, 2019 7:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Ashes 2019
PostPosted: Wed Aug 07, 2019 7:57 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 20463
Location: Stellenbosch
Yeh England should keep him away from balls. Do a lot of scratching.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Ashes 2019
PostPosted: Wed Aug 07, 2019 8:55 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 35267
Winning the World Cup has nothing to do with test cricket. They're virtually different sports.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Ashes 2019
PostPosted: Wed Aug 07, 2019 9:00 pm 
Online
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jul 30, 2013 8:57 pm
Posts: 10629
etherman wrote:
Gazzamonster wrote:
With Stone gone - they just need to chuck Archer in and see how it goes.

He is fast and accurate - and seems to be pretty mature with guidance and what is expected of him.

Him, Woakes, Broad and Stokes should be a decent pace attack at Lords. Leach replacing Ali?

Mike Selvey made a good argument for retaining Ali as a bowler. Left arm off spin is not ideal for comating the Aussie left handers. Right arm off has a statistically the best chance against them... but....


As we all know, Swann was death incarnate to left handers, but Ali isn't Swann. He isn't even a fucking cygnet. Picking a bowler because other bowlers of the same style are effective is a selection policy that even the 90's England teams would have laughed at.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Ashes 2019
PostPosted: Wed Aug 07, 2019 9:33 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sun Sep 16, 2012 5:34 am
Posts: 17256
Tbh, Anderson's injury was the big factor. I still feel England are a better side than Oz mainly because I only rate Warner and Smith in the batting lineup. I suspect the absence of Anderson meant they faced a tiring English attack 2nd inning which allowed them to get a look in.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Ashes 2019
PostPosted: Wed Aug 07, 2019 10:21 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 35267
A5D5E5 wrote:
etherman wrote:
Gazzamonster wrote:
With Stone gone - they just need to chuck Archer in and see how it goes.

He is fast and accurate - and seems to be pretty mature with guidance and what is expected of him.

Him, Woakes, Broad and Stokes should be a decent pace attack at Lords. Leach replacing Ali?

Mike Selvey made a good argument for retaining Ali as a bowler. Left arm off spin is not ideal for comating the Aussie left handers. Right arm off has a statistically the best chance against them... but....


As we all know, Swann was death incarnate to left handers, but Ali isn't Swann. He isn't even a fucking cygnet. Picking a bowler because other bowlers of the same style are effective is a selection policy that even the 90's England teams would have laughed at.


Exactly. "But left handers!" is pointless when you're bowling full tossers and rank long hops. He took 2-130 on a very helpful wicket, against all those left handers. That isn't to say Leach will fare any better, but it's entirely obvious to everyone except people like Selvey that Moeen needs to go away for a while. There's nothing he's doing well right now.

On the heels of Stone's injury, Lewis Gregory is broken too. Jesus. Are they sharing training time with the England rugby team?


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Ashes 2019
PostPosted: Fri Aug 09, 2019 1:10 pm 
Offline

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 5224
Just had the ECB stick a big gaudy ad for "The Hindred" in my news feed. Apart from looking deeply shit, the ire in the comments is off the chart. What a colossal PR feck up it is the openly say your making a competition NOT for your current customers.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Ashes 2019
PostPosted: Fri Aug 09, 2019 2:43 pm 
Online
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jul 30, 2013 8:57 pm
Posts: 10629
JM2K6 wrote:
A5D5E5 wrote:
etherman wrote:
Gazzamonster wrote:
With Stone gone - they just need to chuck Archer in and see how it goes.

He is fast and accurate - and seems to be pretty mature with guidance and what is expected of him.

Him, Woakes, Broad and Stokes should be a decent pace attack at Lords. Leach replacing Ali?

Mike Selvey made a good argument for retaining Ali as a bowler. Left arm off spin is not ideal for comating the Aussie left handers. Right arm off has a statistically the best chance against them... but....


As we all know, Swann was death incarnate to left handers, but Ali isn't Swann. He isn't even a fucking cygnet. Picking a bowler because other bowlers of the same style are effective is a selection policy that even the 90's England teams would have laughed at.


Exactly. "But left handers!" is pointless when you're bowling full tossers and rank long hops. He took 2-130 on a very helpful wicket, against all those left handers. That isn't to say Leach will fare any better, but it's entirely obvious to everyone except people like Selvey that Moeen needs to go away for a while. There's nothing he's doing well right now.

On the heels of Stone's injury, Lewis Gregory is broken too. Jesus. Are they sharing training time with the England rugby team?


There was a great programme on radio 4 a couple of months back (it may even have been a repeat) about Jimmy and the "improvements" that Duncan Fletcher and his bowling coaches tried to make to his bowling action. I know this is a well known story, but to hear Jimmy himself say that it left him injured, with no idea how he was supposed to bowl and on the verge of quitting the game really brought home to me the risks of coaches (in any sport) who really don't know what they are doing.

The positive aspect of this was the programme also talked about the much more scientific approach they now take and the use of biomechanical experts and videos Nevertheless, whenever I hear about an injury (cricket or rugby) which wasn't obviously the result of an in game event, I now think "was that because of some idiot coach?"


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Ashes 2019
PostPosted: Fri Aug 09, 2019 2:51 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 26155
Location: Chickenrunning...
A5D5E5 wrote:
I know this is a well known story, but to hear Jimmy himself say that it left him injured, with no idea how he was supposed to bowl and on the verge of quitting the game really brought home to me the risks of coaches (in any sport) who really don't know what they are doing.




Almost makes you wish someone had tried to fix Bumrah's weird bowling action. Or Malinga before him. :x


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Ashes 2019
PostPosted: Fri Aug 09, 2019 2:57 pm 
Online
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jul 30, 2013 8:57 pm
Posts: 10629
Sandstorm wrote:
A5D5E5 wrote:
I know this is a well known story, but to hear Jimmy himself say that it left him injured, with no idea how he was supposed to bowl and on the verge of quitting the game really brought home to me the risks of coaches (in any sport) who really don't know what they are doing.




Almost makes you wish someone had tried to fix Bumrah's weird bowling action. Or Malinga before him. :x


If they had been English, they wouldn't have made second XI cricket. Our coaches have always had a fixation with inputs rather than outputs.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Ashes 2019
PostPosted: Fri Aug 09, 2019 3:01 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 2078
And Shane Warne would have been another Eddie Hemmings.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Ashes 2019
PostPosted: Fri Aug 09, 2019 3:28 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 3675
Saint wrote:
In recent times, the record is Mark Taylor with 839 in 1989 (should be starred as it wasn't against a Test quality side)


I seem to recall the pommy press wrote that side up, pre-series, as the worst Aust team ever.

Pity they couldn't get Steve Waugh out until the third test.

Can someone remind me what his series average was at that point?


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Ashes 2019
PostPosted: Fri Aug 09, 2019 3:31 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 7260
Ellafan wrote:
Saint wrote:
In recent times, the record is Mark Taylor with 839 in 1989 (should be starred as it wasn't against a Test quality side)


I seem to recall the pommy press wrote that side up, pre-series, as the worst Aust team ever.

Pity they couldn't get Steve Waugh out until the third test.

Can someone remind me what his series average was at that point?


Something in the 400 range - 177* and a 50 at Headingley, 152* at Lords before another 50 at Edgbaston when a debutant Gus Fraser got him I think.

EDIT: Slightly wrong. Didn't bat second innings at Headlingley, made 21* in the 2nd innings at Lords, then 43 at Edgbaston. He got 92 at Old Trafford so that must have been when he got his average for the series above 400.


Last edited by penguin on Fri Aug 09, 2019 3:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Ashes 2019
PostPosted: Fri Aug 09, 2019 3:34 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 26155
Location: Chickenrunning...
Rowdy wrote:
And Shane Warne would have been another Eddie Hemmings.


And Murali.....


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 2673 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19 ... 67  Next

All times are UTC [ DST ]


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: A5D5E5, bimboman, boere wors, camroc1, Conn, Conspicuous, DOB, eldanielfire, Fangle, fatcat, flaggETERNAL, frillage, Google Adsense [Bot], Jay Cee Gee, Laurent, Mog The Almighty, MungoMan, Nieghorn, Nolanator, not_english, Petej, pigaaaa, redderneck, rialtoblue, SamShark, Santa, Sefton, Short Man Syndrome, sonic_attack and 1 guest


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group