Chat Forum
It is currently Fri Nov 22, 2019 9:05 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1785 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 45  Next
PostPosted: Tue Jul 30, 2019 9:37 am 

WHERE:

Perth, Australia

VENUE:

Optus Stadium, Perth

WHEN:

Saturday 10th August

KICK OFF:

1800 - Local
2000 – Sydney
2200 – Auckland

OFFICIALS:

Referee Jérôme Garcès (France)
Assistant 1 Jaco Peyper (South Africa)
Assistant 2 Shuhei Kubo (Japan)
TMO Marius Jonker (South Africa)

TEAMS:

15. Kurtley Beale
14. Marika Koroibete
13. James O’Connor
12. Samu Kerevi
11. Reece Hodge
10. Christian Lealiifano
9. Nic White

8. Isi Naisarani
7. Michael Hooper (captain)
6. Lukhan Salakaia-Loto
5. Rory Arnold
4. Izack Rodda
3. Allan Alaalatoa
2. Tolu Latu
1. Scott Sio.

Reserves:

16. Folau Fainga’a
17. James Slipper
18. Taniela Tupou
19. Adam Coleman
20. Luke Jones
21. Will Genia
22. Matt Toomua
23. Tom Banks.

1. Joe Moody (38)
2. Dane Coles (62)
3. Owen Franks (107)
4. Scott Barrett (29)
5. Samuel Whitelock (109)
6. Ardie Savea (36)
7. Sam Cane (61)
8. Kieran Read - captain (119)

9. Aaron Smith (84)
10. Richie Mo’unga (10)
11. Rieko Ioane (25)
12. Anton Lienert-Brown (35)
13. Jack Goodhue (8)
14. Ben Smith (78)
15. Beauden Barrett (75)

16. Codie Taylor (42)
17. Atu Moli (1)
18. Angus Ta’avao (5)
19. Patrick Tuipulotu (22)
20. Matt Todd (18)
21. TJ Perenara (56)
22. Ngani Laumape (11)
23. George Bridge (2)

Last edited by Ali's Choice on Thu Aug 08, 2019 8:39 am, edited 4 times in total.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 30, 2019 9:42 am 

Really looking forward to this match. The big questions for me are who will wear no.12 and who will partner Whitelock in the second row?

Can someone explain why SBW isn't travelling to Perth for this one?

PostPosted: Tue Jul 30, 2019 9:43 am 

AB's by 50. Lubed and ready.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 30, 2019 9:44 am 

Bindi wrote:

Optimist

PostPosted: Tue Jul 30, 2019 9:51 am 

Ali's Choice wrote:
Really looking forward to this match. The big questions for me are who will wear no.12 and who will partner Whitelock in the second row?

Can someone explain why SBW isn't travelling to Perth for this one?

Because he is playing 3 or 4 club games in a row to see if his fitness can handle it... I guess Hansen wants to see if he'll break down playing a few games together?

PostPosted: Tue Jul 30, 2019 9:52 am 

I'm most interested in who will play 6,7 and 8............. as surely this is his world cup side?

PostPosted: Tue Jul 30, 2019 9:54 am 

Grandpa wrote:
I'm most interested in who will play 6,7 and 8............. as surely this is his world cup side?

Not without SBW, Retallick, Scott Barrett and Crotty it won't be.

A bona fide B team. A 2nd XV. Dirt Trackers. The Baby Blacks!

PostPosted: Tue Jul 30, 2019 10:04 am 

Ali's Choice wrote:
Grandpa wrote:

Yeah... apart from Retallick and possibly Crotty...Scott will likely be a sub and SBW hopefully not there...

But in all other positions he will want his best players to start getting used to each other.. combinations etc? Or will they play together for the first time against SA in the first pool match?

PostPosted: Tue Jul 30, 2019 10:20 am 

Grandpa wrote:
Ali's Choice wrote:
Grandpa wrote:

Yeah... apart from Retallick and possibly Crotty...Scott will likely be a sub and SBW hopefully not there...

But in all other positions he will want his best players to start getting used to each other.. combinations etc? Or will they play together for the first time against SA in the first pool match?

Perhaps he will mix and match all the way to the RWC knock out phase? I don't actually think Hansen actually has the ability to select consistently.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 30, 2019 10:27 am 

The Wallabies aren't quite as bad as everybody wants to believe.
Sure Checks is no brain surgeon but they will be able to put 6-9 world class players on the pitch and if the combinations work they can and will score points. The problem is if the other 6-9 player can hold the game together to keep it a contest for 80 mins.
My lotto brain is urging me to put a barrow load of Kwacha on the men in gold.

Last edited by Crazy Ed on Tue Jul 30, 2019 12:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 30, 2019 10:35 am 

Holding out for a Savea/Cane/Read trio.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 30, 2019 10:47 am 

Sbw will only start against teams that have tough defences. Lumpy will get this gig.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 30, 2019 11:11 am 

I'd rather see ALB/Goodhue

PostPosted: Tue Jul 30, 2019 11:17 am 

Bindi wrote:

The AB have barely managed 50 points in four games but your point taken, a handicapped fight (absolutely no disrespect to handicapped folk intended).

PostPosted: Tue Jul 30, 2019 11:20 am 

The XXIII I think Hansen will select;

15. Beauden Barrett
14. Ben Smith
13. Jack Goodhue
12. Ngani Laumape
11. Reiko Ioane
10. Richie Mo'unga
9. Aaron Smith

8. Kieran Read (c)
7. Sam Cane
6. Shannon Frizzell
5. Sam Whitelock
4. Patrick Tuipulotu
3. Owen Franks
2. Codie Taylor
1. Joe Moody

16. Dane Coles
17. Angus Ta'avao
18. Nepo Laulala
19. Jackson Hemopo
20. Ardie Savea
21. TJ Perenara
22. Anton Lienart-Brown
23. Jordie Barrett

PostPosted: Tue Jul 30, 2019 11:20 am 

Not entirely sure as to the best midfield mix. I think it's ALB/Goodhue, but if Shag plays Lumpy it'll be more horses for courses trusting him to be able to have a go at the 10/12 channel of the Wobs.

While I'm as interested as anybody to see how a Read/Ardie/Cane back 3 goes, I think Frizell needs to get another run. The ABs want to find somebody who steps up.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 30, 2019 11:25 am 

Laumape v Kerevi would be a tasty matchup

PostPosted: Tue Jul 30, 2019 11:36 am 

Flockwitt wrote:
Not entirely sure as to the best midfield mix. I think it's ALB/Goodhue, but if Shag plays Lumpy it'll be more horses for courses trusting him to be able to have a go at the 10/12 channel of the Wobs.

While I'm as interested as anybody to see how a Read/Ardie/Cane back 3 goes, I think Frizell needs to get another run. The ABs want to find somebody who steps up.

I thought Frizzell was really good last weekend. And he has about 15kg of weight and 8cm in height advantage on Ardie, which makes a different in the tight exchanges. Especially as we know that Chieka will select a monster pack.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 30, 2019 12:11 pm 

Flockwitt wrote:

I think the Wallabies are the text-book "horses-for-courses" for ALB/Goodhue, rather than Lumpy (or SBW for that matter). They don't tend to be a "ground and pound" type side which will play it tight and have an impenetrable defense, so having someone to crash the 10/12 channel and draw defenders in from set-piece play isn't likely to be the go to option, and a distributor in 12 makes more sense.

That also likely plays directly into the selection of the 6 though, as if they go for ALB/Goodhue they will probably want a loosie that can crash that channel on second-phase play. So my guess would be that if Read/Ardie/Cane were trialed, then it would end up being Lumpy at 12.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 30, 2019 12:15 pm 

I'd also quite like to see the ALB/Goodhue combo in addition to the continuation of the Mo'rratt dual playmaker gig.

I'm not too fussed on the makeup of our forward pack or loose forward starting/bench players. Actually I'd prefer that 1-8 combo remain guesswork until presumably RWC quarter final should we survive our pool. I think keeping the whole gig under wraps works in their favour. No one actually knows what the fudge is going on but management and players. Even to the point of putting themselves under the pump and barely surviving, so long as its just enough.

If anything I would hope for a significant lift in handling over their last test and giving Dickmo more confidence in directing traffic. I'd assume a 20min period of a massive leap in speed and intensity to know that the shape of what's remained hidden is actually there.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 30, 2019 12:43 pm 

sonic_attack wrote:
I'd also quite like to see the ALB/Goodhue combo in addition to the continuation of the Mo'rratt dual playmaker gig.

I'm not too fussed on the makeup of our forward pack or loose forward starting/bench players. Actually I'd prefer that 1-8 combo remain guesswork until presumably RWC quarter final should we survive our pool. I think keeping the whole gig under wraps works in their favour. No one actually knows what the fudge is going on but management and players. Even to the point of putting themselves under the pump and barely surviving, so long as its just enough.

If anything I would hope for a significant lift in handling over their last test and giving Dickmo more confidence in directing traffic. I'd assume a 20min period of a massive leap in speed and intensity to know that the shape of what's remained hidden is actually there.

The players themselves might like to know? Most successful sides have some degree of consistency? Or at least the combo plays together at least one or twice...

PostPosted: Tue Jul 30, 2019 1:42 pm 

Not often I agree with Mark Reason.. but he's right. Mo'unga needs to be his own man.

https://www.stuff.co.nz/sport/opinion/114604723/mark-reason-why-beauden-barrett-must-hand-richie-mounga-the-crown

Quote:
On Saturday there was no doubt as to the identity of the leader of the All Blacks on the field. It was Beauden Barrett. You could see it in the way he was talking in the sheds at halftime. You could hear in the things he said after the match as he talked astutely about holding depth on the outside.

And of course Barrett, world player of the year in 2016 and, ahem, 2017, has earned the crown. But where does that leave Mo'unga? No side can be successful with a subservient 10. Mo'unga is very much the onfield leader at the Crusaders. It's there in his body language. Mo'unga exudes a confidence in his supremacy.

And that's what the All Blacks need from him. They need the man who would be king. They need the popinjay, the man who would strut his stuff upon the stage.

When Barry John, who would be christened the King by the New Zealand media, first entered the Wales side, he was not an immediate success. John first came on for David Watkins, the captain of the Lions. John didn't even feel like a prince. He was more a vassal. John's next cap for Wales came against Scotland and he again played poorly.

But the moment John went back home to Llanelli his genius flourished once again. And so it is for Mo'unga. In talents and temperament I think he is the closest player I have seen to John in the subsequent 45 years. And he needs to be treasured, just as Carwyn James treasured John and just as Scott Robertson has treasured Mo'unga.

Sadly this was the game that must have put paid to Perenara's chances of starting for the All Blacks against the top teams. Time and again moves were short-circuited because Perenara's pass is just not good enough against a top-class rush defence.

It was also odd, and one assumes that this was under coaching instruction, that Perenara did not once box-kick in the whole evening. I am not sure he kicked at all. That certainly also didn't help pull the guns off Mo'unga.

But that said you could see the glittering possibilities. Mo'unga nearly had Barrett in under the posts again in the second half after a half break, but the pass went to a prop instead of the speed man on the outside. But that connection will come. Barrett is already picking the lines, the pair just now need to sort out the timing.

The option of the dual playmaker also started to develop after Aaron Smith came on. The halfback said, "They worked really well off each other for periods there which felt good and you could hear them talking to switch it or keep going the same way. Even at training, some of the stuff they were both coming up with, they're two wizards out on the field. It's pretty exciting.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 30, 2019 2:52 pm 

I agree with ACs selection (what he thinks Hansen will do).

I would prefer:
- Hempo over Pat T. I’m not sure I’d pick PT for the squad now...
- ALB and Goodhue.

If he did the later go 6-2 bench (with TJ and Jordie. With Jacobson as extra forward.

Clearly would be a better XXIII with BBBR, ScoBa and Crotty/SBW.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 30, 2019 4:09 pm 

Sorry, wrong thread.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 30, 2019 8:56 pm 

Ardie has to start, and mobo has to be kept. And Mo'unga has to kick.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 30, 2019 9:03 pm 

Go easy on us please brother ANZACs. :blush:

PostPosted: Tue Jul 30, 2019 9:18 pm 

Come on Aussies. DON'T SUCK!!!!

PostPosted: Tue Jul 30, 2019 9:33 pm 

Amen!

PostPosted: Tue Jul 30, 2019 10:02 pm 

How anyone could be optimistic about The Wallabies at this stage is a genuine mystery. It's at the stage I actually want them to suck just so something big changes. For the past half decade or more they've been just barely not sucky enough that the old guard can still delude themselves into not changing anything significant. They need to hit rock bottom before any thing will improve. A fluke half decent performance might be the worst thing to happen in a medium to long term view.

I wouldn't mind seeing them hammered by 50 and knocked out in the pool stage a of the RWC. I'm sure if that happened it would be painful but shit would change quickly from the top down.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 30, 2019 10:39 pm 

Mog The Almighty wrote:
It's at the stage I actually want them to suck just so something big changes.

Nah. The time for that was two years ago when Scotland put 50 on Cheika's hapless arse. Embarrassing.

A flogging didn't provoke change then. It won't now. So relax for the next three months.

Either way, the coach (and his failed assistants) won't be renewed and will be gone after the RWC.

On-field results won't actually change the clowns running Aus rugby. A continuation of the steady financial erosion will, though. Eventually.

Obviously this Wallabies side is not a great team. In fact it's probably the worst-performing for forty years or more. In any given game they still have "a puncher's chance", though, disparaging as that is to say. There remains enough talent to say that for now.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 30, 2019 10:41 pm 

Crazy Ed wrote:
The Wallabies aren't quite as bad as everybody wants to believe.
Sure Checks is no brain surgeon but they will be able to put 6-9 world class players on the pitch and if the combinations work they can and will score points. The problem is if the other 6-9 player can hold the game together to keep it a contest for 80 mins.
My lotto brain is urging me to put a barrow load of Kwacha on the men in gold.

Is this a real thing now?

PostPosted: Tue Jul 30, 2019 10:46 pm 

Cullen wrote:

Remind me, who are you again?

PostPosted: Tue Jul 30, 2019 10:59 pm 

kiap wrote:
Cullen wrote:

Remind me, who are you again?

Just your average rugby fan who is keen to get behind the latest marketing gimmick.
Is it a name change away from the Wallabies? Is it a play on words from the Will Smith movie series Men in Black?

If it is a permanent name should it be Men in Gold with capital letters or MIG's as an abbreviation?

PostPosted: Tue Jul 30, 2019 11:06 pm 

Cullen wrote:
Just your average rugby fan who is keen to get behind the latest marketing gimmick.

So you're a no mark.

Here's your clue: There's no trademark™

PostPosted: Tue Jul 30, 2019 11:12 pm 

Mog The Almighty wrote:
How anyone could be optimistic about The Wallabies at this stage is a genuine mystery. It's at the stage I actually want them to suck just so something big changes. For the past half decade or more they've been just barely not sucky enough that the old guard can still delude themselves into not changing anything significant. They need to hit rock bottom before any thing will improve. A fluke half decent performance might be the worst thing to happen in a medium to long term view.

I wouldn't mind seeing them hammered by 50 and knocked out in the pool stage a of the RWC. I'm sure if that happened it would be painful but shit would change quickly from the top down.

Even if we win the RWC the coach and the majority of the senior players are moving on. No need to inflict more pain on the fans as the deed is done Ika.
Time to just get behind them mate.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 30, 2019 11:17 pm 

Just get behind them Moggy old pal. As Olo says, the coaching teams are moving on at the end of the world cup regardless. Short of infiltrating the administration there isn't much that we can do, so best to strap that gold eye patch on, drink too much Bundy and coke, and hate an entire country for 80 minutes.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 30, 2019 11:18 pm 

All Blacks squad for Bledisloe Cup:

Hookers: Dane Coles, Liam Coltman and Codie Taylor.
Props: Owen Franks, Nepo Laulala, Joe Moody, Atu Moli, Angus Ta'avao and Ofa Tuungafasi.
Locks: Scott Barrett, Jackson Hemopo, Patrick Tuipulotu and Samuel Whitelock.
Loose forwards: Sam Cane, Vaea Fifita, Luke Jacobson, Kieran Read, Ardie Savea and Matt Todd.

Halfbacks: TJ Perenara, Aaron Smith and Brad Weber.
First five-eighths: Beauden Barrett and Richie Mo'unga.
Midfielders: Jack Goodhue, Ngani Laumape, Anton Lienert-Brown and Sonny Bill Williams.
Utility backs: Braydon Ennor and Jordie Barrett.
Outside backs: George Bridge, Rieko Ioane, Sevu Reece and Ben Smith.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 30, 2019 11:19 pm 

Cullen wrote:
Is it a name change away from the Wallabies? Is it a play on words from the Will Smith movie series Men in Black?

No.

They wear gold, you see?

Frizzell dropped the major talking point.

Looks weak.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1785 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 45  Next