Chat Forum
It is currently Wed Aug 21, 2019 9:17 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 114 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next
Author Message
PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2018 5:45 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sun May 22, 2016 9:43 am
Posts: 20460
A place to post up the gems you've discovered in the wide world of the internet.

History Buffs, I give you the Spanish Civil War in 6 parts.

Now incorporating Opening List

Military History
Spanish Civil War in 6 Parts
The Great War BBC 1964 in 26 Parts
World at War (WWII) BBC in 23 Parts
The Battlefields of WWII
A Savage Christmas - Hong Kong 1941
For King & Empire WW1
For King & Country WWII
Six Days War
This Week in WWI

General History
Worst jobs in History
Full Steam Ahead (UK Railways)
Timeline World History Series
History of Hollywood in 13 Parts
Death of Yugoslavia in 6 Parts
The Cold War in 23 Parts
Fall of Milosevic in 3 Parts
History of Ireland in 5 parts

Sports
Hitman Hart: wrestling with shadows
A Political Game; Rugby & Apartheid
When We Were Kings
Love, Speed, and Loss - (motorsport)

Current Affairs
Drug Laws Don't Work
Nightmares; The Rish of the Politics of Fear in 3 Parts

Miscellaneous
King of Kong
Exit through the gift shop
Dog Meat Professionals - South Korea (2017)
Buster Keaton
Homeless mayhem, recycling, and bombing hills in shopping carts in Vancouver BC
The Third Industrial Revolution
RTE's Hands Series on the dying crafts of Ireland in 13 parts


Last edited by Mullet 2 on Mon Aug 19, 2019 11:41 am, edited 34 times in total.

Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2018 5:48 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 19906
I thought this was a "justice 4" thread

Carry on


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2018 6:25 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 22261
One about Hollywood from Thames television in 1980. 13 part epic job and some of the original silent stars still alive
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=yS37kyfnGy4

Same youtube uploader has a 5 parter pornography one that I remember being good https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=4akBblB2K1Q


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2018 8:10 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 5370
Location: The void
Nice one Mullet. Interesting to note how that series and World at War started with the same idea.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0b4g4ZZ ... 7aZI9RDnfn

The Battlefields of World War 2 series is also grand

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wbKYbLUkIpk&t=5s


Last edited by Uthikoloshe on Wed Nov 21, 2018 12:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2018 8:17 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 17709
Location: Centre of the Universe
I unashamedly love the BBC's ________ Farm series with Ruth, Peter, and Alex or Tom.

Tudor Monastery: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t1ERDYjsHBg
Victorian: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4apIM4l0laY
Edwardian: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UcBl4_2FJX4
Wartime: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CUsU5s0ofYo

... and about the rail network, Full Steam Ahead: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N5cqWZZUioQ


If you're interested in Canadian history, these two were instrumental in me becoming a history geek when young. I'm not sure how accurate they are, but just noticed a bunch of vitriol about the inaccuracies in a brand new CBC one. Also, the narrators have incredible voices if you're one of those freaks who uses such things to relax. :)

Origins: A History of Canada
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nK5GTH4 ... Ai3jv6wuDU


The Valour and the Horror series (which pissed off vets at the time who felt they were being negatively portrayed, but it felt fairly even handed to me as they did bomb German cities - on orders - and probably did execute POWs, as probably everyone did in isolated incidents)

A Savage Christmas - Hong Kong 1941
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6CJJhqSXSuQ

Death By Moonlight - Bomber Command (hopefully not geoblocked)
https://www.nfb.ca/film/death_by_moonli ... r_command/

In Desperate Battle - Normandy 1944
https://www.nfb.ca/film/in_desperate_ba ... andy_1944/

... if the above two aren't geoblocked, our National Film Board has been legendary for documentaries over the years. With all the big money films from our neighbours, we seemingly didn't try to compete and instead focused on doing really good documentaries (not sure if that reputation still holds, though, given how much American and British content our networks buy).


More recently produced ...

For King & Empire (WW1)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wRjxUNrs1pg

For King & Country (WW2)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DOagu8N1DRM

In Korea (Canadians in the Korean War)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-R93uzzuRVc


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2018 10:24 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 22261
They all look super and I am not sure if I have seen any of them. My new favourite thread


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2018 11:15 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sun May 22, 2016 9:43 am
Posts: 20460
Top work guys


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2018 11:55 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 17709
Location: Centre of the Universe
Worst Jobs in History, according to Baldrick

https://m.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL63D956BC489378A5


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2018 11:57 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 21777
Location: Middle East
Loving this thread already. Keeping adding them please!


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed Nov 21, 2018 12:03 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 22261
I am starting with Mullets and working my way down


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed Nov 21, 2018 12:15 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 17709
Location: Centre of the Universe
Timeline World History Documentaries

https://m.youtube.com/channel/UC88lvyJe7aHZmcvzvubDFRg


The Great War (youtube original, week by week events that just wrapped up as he was doing it on the 100th anniversary of each)

https://m.youtube.com/user/TheGreatWar


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed Nov 21, 2018 1:18 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 22261
Mullet this Spanish Civil War yoke is exceptional


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed Nov 21, 2018 1:22 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 17709
Location: Centre of the Universe
Last one I can think of, for the true crime fanatics. Not long docs, but official full episodes of several series by Film Rise... including Forensic Files, Unsolved Mysteries (with Dennis Farina, not Robert Stack, unfortunately), FBI Files, New Detectives, Mug Shots ... and others not related to crime like Urban Legends and World of Discovery.

https://www.youtube.com/user/FilmRiseDo ... /playlists


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed Nov 21, 2018 3:10 am 
Offline

Joined: Thu Aug 23, 2012 4:11 pm
Posts: 1423
EverReady wrote:
One about Hollywood from Thames television in 1980. 13 part epic job and some of the original silent stars still alive
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=yS37kyfnGy4

Same youtube uploader has a 5 parter pornography one that I remember being good https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=4akBblB2K1Q


Do you mean they were still alive in 1980, or some are still alive today? :shock: They'd have to be over 100 years old?

Thanks for the great thread, by the way. I'm starting with the Spanish Civil War doc.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed Nov 21, 2018 9:29 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 10705
Location: Best country in the world.
Great thread boys... :thumbup:


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed Nov 21, 2018 10:09 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 2617
"The death of Yugoslavia"

6 part BBC series on YouTube. Utterly brilliant and detailed.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed Nov 21, 2018 11:33 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sun May 22, 2016 9:43 am
Posts: 20460
EverReady wrote:
Mullet this Spanish Civil War yoke is exceptional



Yeah it's excellent, great to hear it all first hand.

Loving the World at War I must say, probably 10 years since I watched it last.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed Nov 21, 2018 12:22 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 22261
FujiKiwi wrote:
EverReady wrote:
One about Hollywood from Thames television in 1980. 13 part epic job and some of the original silent stars still alive
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=yS37kyfnGy4

Same youtube uploader has a 5 parter pornography one that I remember being good https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=4akBblB2K1Q


Do you mean they were still alive in 1980, or some are still alive today? :shock: They'd have to be over 100 years old?

Thanks for the great thread, by the way. I'm starting with the Spanish Civil War doc.


The likes of Lillian Gish, Gloria Swanson, King Vidor, Jackie Coogan. William Wyler, Frank Capra are all alive then. There are a few child stars still alive from the silent era.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed Nov 21, 2018 12:46 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Thu Oct 04, 2012 11:30 am
Posts: 2751
Nieghorn wrote:
Worst Jobs in History, according to Baldrick

https://m.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL63D956BC489378A5


This was good, Dan Snow did something similar - Filthy Cities


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed Nov 21, 2018 10:03 pm 
Offline

Joined: Fri May 04, 2012 7:12 pm
Posts: 2557
Nieghorn wrote:
I unashamedly love the BBC's ________ Farm series with Ruth, Peter, and Alex or Tom.

Tudor Monastery: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t1ERDYjsHBg
Victorian: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4apIM4l0laY
Edwardian: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UcBl4_2FJX4
Wartime: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CUsU5s0ofYo

... and about the rail network, Full Steam Ahead: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N5cqWZZUioQ


If you're interested in Canadian history, these two were instrumental in me becoming a history geek when young. I'm not sure how accurate they are, but just noticed a bunch of vitriol about the inaccuracies in a brand new CBC one. Also, the narrators have incredible voices if you're one of those freaks who uses such things to relax. :)

Origins: A History of Canada
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nK5GTH4 ... Ai3jv6wuDU


The Valour and the Horror series (which pissed off vets at the time who felt they were being negatively portrayed, but it felt fairly even handed to me as they did bomb German cities - on orders - and probably did execute POWs, as probably everyone did in isolated incidents)

A Savage Christmas - Hong Kong 1941
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6CJJhqSXSuQ

Death By Moonlight - Bomber Command (hopefully not geoblocked)
https://www.nfb.ca/film/death_by_moonli ... r_command/

In Desperate Battle - Normandy 1944
https://www.nfb.ca/film/in_desperate_ba ... andy_1944/

... if the above two aren't geoblocked, our National Film Board has been legendary for documentaries over the years. With all the big money films from our neighbours, we seemingly didn't try to compete and instead focused on doing really good documentaries (not sure if that reputation still holds, though, given how much American and British content our networks buy).


More recently produced ...

For King & Empire (WW1)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wRjxUNrs1pg

For King & Country (WW2)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DOagu8N1DRM

In Korea (Canadians in the Korean War)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-R93uzzuRVc


Just watched the Death By Moonlight, It gives me some idea of what my father went through. He is 99 now but rarely talks about it, I know he was transfered to the 431 "Iroquois" Canadian squadron after the Neremburg raid in 1943. A lot of British aircrew were seconded to the RCAF to make up crew shortages and he did a full tour with them.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed Nov 21, 2018 10:47 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Mon Sep 21, 2015 9:27 am
Posts: 1763
Wrestling fans will most likely have seen this already, but it's definitely worth a watch

Hitman Hart: wrestling with shadows https://youtu.be/L3wZhA5s3kI


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed Nov 21, 2018 11:37 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 17709
Location: Centre of the Universe
GWO2 wrote:

Just watched the Death By Moonlight, It gives me some idea of what my father went through. He is 99 now but rarely talks about it, I know he was transfered to the 431 "Iroquois" Canadian squadron after the Neremburg raid in 1943. A lot of British aircrew were seconded to the RCAF to make up crew shortages and he did a full tour with them.


Amazing.

I think Bomber Command vets were most pissed off with their portrayal, but from memory I don’t think it accused them for doing what Harris asked them to do. I think it might have been the first time here that a big documentary was showing our ‘grey’ elements of war in contrast to the older white/black narrative, which still comes across as we were fighting the Nazis ffs.

A rather long essay on its impact, if interested... https://archivaria.ca/index.php/archiva ... 1901/12854


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu Nov 22, 2018 12:17 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sun May 22, 2016 9:43 am
Posts: 20460
World at war drops off youtube after episode 3

Here is 4
https://www.dailymotion.com/video/x125egp


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu Nov 22, 2018 12:25 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 5370
Location: The void
World at War is OK if you don't mind skipping the Russian side of things.
There are 26 episodes


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu Nov 22, 2018 12:33 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 76
A Political Game- a story of Rugby and Apartheid

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Np3LCojFOiY

Covers the rivalry between NZ and SA


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu Nov 22, 2018 12:40 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 5370
Location: The void
Gert wrote:
A Political Game- a story of Rugby and Apartheid

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Np3LCojFOiY

Covers the rivalry between NZ and SA

Naki already covered it.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu Nov 22, 2018 12:50 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 10593
Uthikoloshe wrote:
World at War is OK if you don't mind skipping the Russian side of things.
There are 26 episodes

You can watch The Unknown War to get the Russian side.

Do any of the history/doco buffs on here know if the Unknown War the same as Blood on the Stone (or something similar ... I'm pretty sure that's what it was called when I watched at summer school in 1995).


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu Nov 22, 2018 2:19 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 2617
King of Kong - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_4v15X8Px34
Donkey Kong high score hilarity.

Exit through the gift shop - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=evbHCAn4jto
Street Art doco - Hilarious.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu Nov 22, 2018 8:31 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 5370
Location: The void
24 part Cold War series.

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=P ... Ck9Zw0dGke


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri Nov 23, 2018 9:47 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sun May 22, 2016 9:43 am
Posts: 20460
I have my watching until Christmas sorted anyway


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri Nov 23, 2018 10:23 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 2117
I've posted this before in other threads, but worth posting again.

Drug Laws Don't Work: The Phoney War: (Dispatches), by Nick Davies 2001
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QC_nrLIc2Zk


Quote:
Drug Laws Don't Work: The Phoney War
Journalist Nick Davies argues that heroin should be legalised. Now, that may seem a bit desperate-to-be-controversial-Ch4, but in fact the arguments for legalisation are incredibly strong (read Street Drugs by Andrew Tyler for a factual summation of the drug's history that makes legalisation seem like the only sane option).
Heroin is highly addictive, but in its pure form its other physical side-effects are mild - constipation and drowsiness.

It's the heroin on the black market, mixed for profit with stuff like sand, that causes problems.

Most intelligent people know this, as well as the fact that legalisation isn't a vote winner, and that wasting money on enforcing the existing laws is.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/tvshowbiz/a ... y-War.html


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri Nov 23, 2018 11:27 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 2782
Location: Adopted Lion - Jon Davies
quite possibly the GOAT sports documentary

When We Were Kings in full HD.

A documentary of the 1974 heavyweight championship bout in Zaire, "The Rumble in the Jungle," between champion George Foreman and underdog challenger Muhammad Ali.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sat Nov 24, 2018 7:04 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 5370
Location: The void
I also enjoy the 15-20 minutes put out by the Visualpolitik channel.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCT3v6v ... loLMc8pmCw


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sat Nov 24, 2018 11:54 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 16132
Location: Adelaide via Sydney and Patea
WWII from Space:
https://www.reddit.com/r/Documentaries/ ... _visually/


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2018 10:54 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sun May 22, 2016 9:43 am
Posts: 20460
18 hours into the World at War and still going strong!

For those who might be at the end here is the superb BBC series The Great War

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DRtdSoeYQYk


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2018 10:58 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 3715
Outstanding thread :thumbup: top work all


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2018 11:00 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sun May 22, 2016 9:43 am
Posts: 20460
I might try to keep them all in the OP to make it easier

I'll get them all pasted in this afternoon


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2018 11:13 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 10669
Location: Mostly London........Mostly
Ended up watching 'The Wargame' recently. It was banned by the BBC on release as it was a bit too realisitic in its depction of a nuclear strike on the UK. It was finally aired in 1985.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nzd_VE-bfhA


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2018 12:36 pm 
Offline

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 5204
Bit different to the rest of those on the thread but this 3 part on Buster Keaton is excellent. From 1987, but lots of interviews with the man himself in later life. Amazing man.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-qB-lZZhubM


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2018 2:59 pm 
Offline

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 3551
Location: Born from an Egg on a Mountain Top
Dog Meat Professionals - South Korea (2017)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cCdTceduKcY&t=1175s


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 114 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next

All times are UTC [ DST ]


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: A5D5E5, Armchair_Superstar, camroc1, danthefan, DragsterDriver, fatheralice, feckwanker, Google Adsense [Bot], jambanja, Keith, Mick Mannock, mr flaps, my 2 cents, Saint, SamShark, tabascoboy, TheDocForgotHisLogon and 1 guest


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group