Chat Forum
It is currently Fri Aug 23, 2019 11:03 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 380 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 10  Next
PostPosted: Wed Aug 14, 2019 8:50 am 

Why call up an extra hooker whim there are already 3 in the squad and the game is in SA?
Or will Pensioner Brits start with Scarra on the bench?

PostPosted: Wed Aug 14, 2019 9:24 am 

Troll wrote:
The Boks turnaround has been heavily driven by the uptick in Pollard's game.

If he goes down the Boks are fu.cked. Into cotton wool for Italy and New Zealand he goes.

Have to agree. Good thing is, only one month ago we would have said that about a couple of other guys, especially Faf and Marx.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 14, 2019 9:26 am 

Chilli wrote:
Why call up an extra hooker whim there are already 3 in the squad and the game is in SA?
Or will Pensioner Brits start with Scarra on the bench?

Would make sense if bongi and marx are rested
Team will be announced this afternoon

PostPosted: Wed Aug 14, 2019 1:41 pm 

Springboks

15 Warrick Gelant, 14 Sbu Nkosi, 13 Jesse Kriel, 12 Andre Esterhuizen, 11 Dillyn Leyds, 10 Elton Jantjies, 9 Cobus Reinach, 8 Marcell Coetzee, 7 Rynhardt Elstadt, 6 Siya Kolisi, 5 Lood de Jager, 4 RG Snyman, 3 Vincent Koch, 2 Schalk Brits (c), 1 Thomas du Toit.

Subs: 16 Scarra Ntubeni, 17 Lizo Gqoboka, 18 Wilco Louw, 19 Marvin Orie, 20 Marco van Staden, 21 Kwagga Smith, 22 Faf de Klerk, 23 Frans Steyn.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 14, 2019 1:43 pm 

The Springbok team to play Argentina in Pretoria (in order of name, franchise or club, caps and points) is:

15. Warrick Gelant (Vodacom Bulls), 6, 5 (1t)

14. Sbu Nkosi (Cell C Sharks), 7, 25 (5t)

13. Jesse Kriel (Vodacom Bulls), 43, 60 (12t)

12. André Esterhuizen (Cell C Sharks), 7, 0

11. Dillyn Leyds (DHL Western Province), 9 5 (1t)

10. Elton Jantjies (vice-captain – Emirates Lions), 34, 239 (2t, 47c, 45p)

9. Cobus Reinach (Northampton, England), 11, 15 (3t)

8. Marcell Coetzee (Ulster, Northern Ireland) 29, 30 (6t)

7. Rynhardt Elstadt (Toulouse, France), 1, 0

6. Siya Kolisi (DHL Western Province), 41, 25 (5t)

5. Lood de Jager (Vodacom Bulls), 39, 25 (5t)

4. RG Snyman (Vodacom Bulls), 14, 0

3. Vincent Koch (Saracens, England), 14, 0

2. Schalk Brits (captain – Vodacom Bulls), 12, 5 (1t)

1. Thomas du Toit (Cell C Sharks), 9, 0

Replacements:

16. Scarra Ntubeni (DHL Western Province), uncapped

17. Lizo Gqoboka (Vodacom Bulls), 1, 0

18. Wilco Louw (DHL Western Province), 12, 0

19. Marvin Orie (Emirates Lions), 2, 0

20. Marco van Staden (Vodacom Bulls), 2, 0

21. Kwagga Smith (Emirates Lions), 3, 0

22. Faf de Klerk (Sale Sharks, England), 23, 15 (3t)

23. Frans Steyn (Montpellier, France) 59, 132 (10t, 5c, 21p, 3d)

PostPosted: Wed Aug 14, 2019 1:44 pm 

from www.sarugby.co.za

Rassie Erasmus, the SA Rugby director of rugby, unleashed a new-look team to take on the Pumas on Wednesday, packed with players looking to secure a place in South Africa’s Rugby World Cup squad.

Erasmus urged his team to make a strong statement on Saturday, when Schalk Brits will set a unique new "record" in South African rugby history.

Eighteen of the team featured in the Castle Lager Rugby Championship-winning campaign but also included are five “newcomers” in the returning Siya Kolisi, Thomas du Toit and Wilco Louw (prop), Marco van Staden (looseforward) and potential debutant Scarra Ntubeni (hooker).

Kolisi has been named in the starting XV for a cameo role as he continues his carefully managed rehabilitation from a knee injury while the team is captained for the first time by the experienced Schalk Brits (hooker), who becomes the second oldest Springbok captain at 38 years and three months, and makes his first start in the green and gold since 2008.

The backline that helped overwhelm Australia at Emirates Airline Park a month ago has been re-united with the exception of scrumhalf, where Cobus Reinach gets an opportunity to start; while the pack features a new front row, a mighty Vodacom Bulls locking combination and a first start of the season for Marcell Coetzee alongside Kolisi and Rynhardt Elstadt.

Vice-captain Elton Jantjies will take over the leadership role in the event of Brits being replaced – opening the way for a debut by Ntubeni. The DHL Stormers hooker toured with the Springboks in 2013 and 2014 but has had a long wait to pull on the jersey for the first time in a Test.

Erasmus said the split between six forwards and two backs on the bench was to provide extra looseforward cover for Kolisi’s cameo return.

Frans Steyn would cover all of flyhalf, centre and fullback with Faf de Klerk the only other back replacement.

Season sensation Herschel Jantjies was slated to provide scrumhalf cover but he was withdrawn on Tuesday following a blow to his head in training. It is not expected to affect his potential inclusion in the Rugby World Cup squad.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 14, 2019 1:47 pm 

Cant remember if any Bok coach in the past would experiment this far as Rassie do. Obvious help if the team keep on winning.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 14, 2019 2:03 pm 

Cap'n Leg Drive not captaining? :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:

PostPosted: Wed Aug 14, 2019 2:10 pm 

This team is exactly what Ox and Sards wanted since 2015.

Springbokke by 50+

PostPosted: Wed Aug 14, 2019 2:49 pm 

Chilli wrote:
Saffer13's Bok Team for Saturday is:
Ginga
Bongi
Frans
Eben
PSDT
Kolisi
Elstadt
Flo
Herschel
Elton
Kolbe
DDA
Kriel
Leyds
Willie

:thumbup:

The irony about your trolling is that I call for more non-WP players that most of you twats do for your own provinces. :lol:

PostPosted: Wed Aug 14, 2019 2:51 pm 

Quote:
15 Warrick Gelant, 14 S'bu Nkosi, 13 Jesse Kriel, 12 Andre Esterhuizen, 11 Dillyn Leyds, 10 Elton Jantjies, 9 Cobus Reinach, 8 Marcell Coetzee, 7 Rynhardt Elstadt, 6 Siya Kolisi, 5 Lood de Jager, 4 RG Snyman, 3 Vincent Koch, 2 Schalk Brits (captain), 1 Thomas du Toit

Substitutes: 16 Scarra Ntubeni, 17 Lizo Gqoboka, 18 Wilco Louw, 19 Marvin Orie, 20 Marco van Staden, 21 Kwagga Smith, 22 Faf de Klerk, 23 Frans Steyn

That is a decent B-team with a few C-team players sprinkled in for good measure.

Frans must be getting a little irritated though.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 14, 2019 2:55 pm 

OomPB wrote:
Sounds like nonsense.

Marcell in the XV at last. Lets hope he has a big game. Should've already had the game time to play himself into the side. Odd a player better clearly better than Slouw/Elstadt/Kwagga, gets the least time out of all then to show what he can do. And at eightman also.

Rassie may be thinking of the sunnyb option of Kolisi/Marcell/Du Toit. Perhaps as a bench replacement option.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 14, 2019 3:00 pm 

ox wagon wrote:
OomPB wrote:
Sounds like nonsense.

Marcell in the XV at last. Lets hope he has a big game. Should've already had the game time to play himself into the side. Odd a player better clearly better than Slouw/Elstadt/Kwagga, gets the least time out of all then to show what he can do. And at eightman also.

Rassie may be thinking of the sunnyb option of Kolisi/Marcell/Du Toit. Perhaps as a bench replacement option.

You have Reinach and AE and Tank starting. Pretty sure you had a semi when you saw that names.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 14, 2019 3:05 pm 

OomPB wrote:
ox wagon wrote:
OomPB wrote:
Sounds like nonsense.

You have Reinach and AE and Tank starting. Pretty sure you had a semi when you saw that names.

I back Beast for the XV not Tank. I back Frans for the XV not AE. Reinach is a possible for me in the XV, but Faf has done well.

The interesting call is Marcell at eightman. It was sunnyb that said Duane was the one under performing in the backrow.

So the starting backrow will be Kolisi/Duane/Du Toit. If Slouw is on the bench, who does he replace? Can't be Kolisi because he's the captain. Replacing Mostert with Du Toit and Slouw coming on, is a downgrade.

Hopefully Rassie is thinking of Marcell on the bench, and coming on for Duane.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 14, 2019 3:09 pm 

ox wagon wrote:
OomPB wrote:
ox wagon wrote:
OomPB wrote:
Sounds like nonsense.

I back Beast for the XV not Tank. I back Frans for the XV not AE. Reinach is a possible for me in the XV, but Faf has done well.

The interesting call is Marcell at eightman. It was sunnyb that said Duane was the one under performing in the backrow.

So the starting backrow will be Kolisi/Duane/Du Toit. If Slouw is on the bench, who does he replace? Can't be Kolisi because he's the captain. Replacing Mostert with Du Toit and Slouw coming on, is a downgrade.

Well at least every player in the total squad got/get a chance to play and prove himself to go to the WC.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 14, 2019 3:19 pm 

Hope Coetzee does well. We need a backup for Duane.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 14, 2019 3:34 pm 

ox wagon wrote:
If Slouw is on the bench, who does he replace? Can't be Kolisi because he's the captain.

Kolisis isn't captain and is being gently eased back in so won't play a full shift.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 14, 2019 3:43 pm 

sorCrer wrote:
ox wagon wrote:
If Slouw is on the bench, who does he replace? Can't be Kolisi because he's the captain.

Kolisis isn't captain and is being gently eased back in so won't play a full shift.

Kolisi will be the RWC captain. This is obvious.

He's being "gently eased back", by immediately starting as soon as he's available.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 14, 2019 3:58 pm 

Happy for Schalk Brits. A player who can turn a game on it's head. I've seen him make countless breaks in the midfield, something our centres are incapable of.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 14, 2019 4:21 pm 

handyman wrote:
Happy for Schalk Brits. A player who can turn a game on it's head. I've seen him make countless breaks in the midfield, something our centres are incapable of.

He and RG would make a better midfield than we currently have.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 14, 2019 4:31 pm 

saffer13 wrote:
Chilli wrote:
Saffer13's Bok Team for Saturday is:
Ginga
Bongi
Frans
Eben
PSDT
Kolisi
Elstadt
Flo
Herschel
Elton
Kolbe
DDA
Kriel
Leyds
Willie

:thumbup:

The irony about your trolling is that I call for more non-WP players that most of you twats do for your own provinces. :lol:

Just trying to revive your age old tradition Yank.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 14, 2019 4:34 pm 

saffer13 wrote:

Coetzee is a #8 now? :?

Sounds more desperation for him to play...anywhere.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 14, 2019 4:36 pm 

handyman wrote:

Piss off! He's a fossil (copywright credit to Ox). He can't even break away from a ruck any more. Ridiculous selection. And Captain??

Rassie has me worried again..... :uhoh:

PostPosted: Wed Aug 14, 2019 4:42 pm 

Sandstorm wrote:
saffer13 wrote:

Not sure what he really is. Poor man's Kolisi, clearly.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 14, 2019 4:43 pm 

Sandstorm wrote:
handyman wrote:

Piss off! He's a fossil (copywright credit to Ox). He can't even break away from a ruck any more. Ridiculous selection. And Captain??

It's a dead rubber and Rassie is trying to keep the Ox-types happy with a few handout selections.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 14, 2019 5:16 pm 

saffer13 wrote:
Sandstorm wrote:
handyman wrote:

It's a dead rubber and Rassie is trying to keep the Ox-types happy with a few handout selections.

Now that Ox and Sards is sort of sorted, out climbs Yank trying to be dooslik.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 14, 2019 5:42 pm 

OomPB wrote:
saffer13 wrote:
Sandstorm wrote:
handyman wrote:

Oom weet mos!

PostPosted: Wed Aug 14, 2019 7:14 pm 

OomPB wrote:
saffer13 wrote:
Sandstorm wrote:
handyman wrote:

What's dooslik about my post. It's fact. You think this is an A-team?

PostPosted: Wed Aug 14, 2019 7:39 pm 

Sandstorm wrote:
saffer13 wrote:

Coetzee has been playing 8 for Ulster on occasion, so not that unusual to try and play him there, especially as we don't have a real cover for Duane. Actually he is quite the utility backrow, can cover all positions. Similar to Frans, will probably be on the bench against NZ in Japan

PostPosted: Wed Aug 14, 2019 8:10 pm 

oh wait, we have Louw

PostPosted: Wed Aug 14, 2019 8:40 pm 

I've never seen a player need as much on-field medical attention as Brits. It's ridiculous really.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 14, 2019 8:56 pm 

boere wors wrote:
oh wait, we have Louw

Starting 8, skipper and RWC winner.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 14, 2019 10:32 pm 

ox wagon wrote:
OomPB wrote:
ox wagon wrote:
OomPB wrote:
Sounds like nonsense.

Yep, I’m hopeful of MC being the bench option but unfortunately I think he needs a huge game to have a realistic shot of getting there. Watching Rassie’s press conference, all squad players not involved in this game are already locked in for the WC. That confirms Louw will be there and leaves MC and Kwagga battling it out for the 5th spot. Rassie gave the impression that Coetzee and Elstadt were both only invited to the squad because he expected injuries at some stage.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 15, 2019 12:41 pm 

I find it quite ingenious that Rassie is protecting his favourites by running Marcel at 8.
Now if Marcel has a blinder he wont be competing against players in his favoured position....

PostPosted: Thu Aug 15, 2019 12:55 pm 

I think a lot of us, me included have fallen into the trap of thinking Coetzee is the next coming. Few of us have seen him play recently. If he was really that good, Rassie would have picked him.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 15, 2019 1:15 pm 

handyman wrote:
I think a lot of us, me included have fallen into the trap of thinking Coetzee is the next coming. Few of us have seen him play recently. If he was really that good, Rassie would have picked him.

He keeps picking Esterhuizen/DDA ahead of Steyn, his judgment is not infallible

PostPosted: Thu Aug 15, 2019 1:25 pm 

BokJock wrote:
handyman wrote:

Steyn's versatility is counting against him here. Had he sorted out his problems with SARU earlier, he might have been first choice.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 15, 2019 1:29 pm 

handyman wrote:
BokJock wrote:
handyman wrote:

Steyn's versatility is counting against him here. Had he sorted out his problems with SARU earlier, he might have been first choice.

Indeed, Curse of "the good guy to have on the bench"

and yes - if only! Steyn should be a 120+ capper by now.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 15, 2019 1:30 pm 

handyman wrote:

I follow him...he has been doing good things up north

PostPosted: Thu Aug 15, 2019 1:33 pm 

Sards wrote:
handyman wrote:

I follow him...he has been doing good things up north

On the Vodacom stats app?

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 380 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 10  Next