Chat Forum
It is currently Sun Dec 08, 2019 5:04 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 91 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next
Author Message
PostPosted: Wed Aug 14, 2019 4:42 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 24814
Can't say I'm not hoping for a big Aus win this weekend :lol:

Quote:
Cape Town - So troubled have recent times been for the once-feared All Blacks that they face the very real possibility of plummeting to SIXTH spot in the World Rugby standings when the next round of rankings are released.

Reeling on the back of a 47-26 thrashing at the hands of the Wallabies in Perth last Saturday, the All Blacks have just seven days to turn a 21-point defeat into a victory.

Failing that, the All Blacks will not only relinquish the Bledisloe Cup for the first time in 17 years, but will also tumble to fourth in the world - at best.

While a defeat of between 1-15 points will see New Zealand drop to fourth, a 16-point loss (or worse) will see them ranked sixth.


While rankings don't decide World Cup winners, they do send a clear signal of the enormity of the task Steve Hansen's men face in defending the Webb Ellis Cup, particular as so many other sides are finding form at the perfect time.

A home win for Wales (by any points margin) over England on Saturday will see them (the Welsh) assume the No 1 spot regardless of the result at Eden Park in Auckland.

A 16-point (or more) victory for England will see Eddie Jones' men take over the top ranking.

The Springboks v Argentina 'Farewell Test' in Pretoria will have no bearing on the top spot, nor will the France v Scotland showdown.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed Aug 14, 2019 5:27 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 12182
RR somewhere


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed Aug 14, 2019 5:28 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 9328
Location: Texas
4th or 6th. It would be a pretty unusual RWC to make a final from that position.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed Aug 14, 2019 5:49 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 8154
Location: hovering over the red button
Mr Mike wrote:
4th or 6th. It would be a pretty unusual RWC to make a final from that position.


Not as unusual as you might think as long as you are talking about the distance from P1 rather than the exact number...

England were ranked 7th at the end September 2007 and SA were third
France were ranked 5th at the end Sept 2011
Australia were ranked 5th at the end Sept 2015


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed Aug 14, 2019 5:52 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Thu Jun 11, 2015 1:25 pm
Posts: 8074
Location: Leafy Cheshire (West)
These rankings has got PR all fired up for sure


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed Aug 14, 2019 5:56 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 8154
Location: hovering over the red button
Frodder wrote:
These rankings has got PR all fired up for sure


TBF, the ranking positions in and of themselves aren't very interesting or hugely relevant. Whats interesting is how closely the top teams have become in the ranking points that drastic changes in position can happen.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed Aug 14, 2019 6:02 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 14428
Let's be honest for a moment.
Can anyone really see New Zealand battling to beat Argentina, then drawing to the Boks, then losing to Australia............and then losing to Australia AGAIN in Auckland?

It is just not going to happen.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed Aug 14, 2019 6:10 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 2419
blindcider wrote:
Mr Mike wrote:
4th or 6th. It would be a pretty unusual RWC to make a final from that position.


Not as unusual as you might think as long as you are talking about the distance from P1 rather than the exact number...

England were ranked 7th at the end September 2007 and SA were third
France were ranked 5th at the end Sept 2011
Australia were ranked 5th at the end Sept 2015


MM is almost certainly poking the borax.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed Aug 14, 2019 7:12 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 24814
Mr Mike wrote:
4th or 6th. It would be a pretty unusual RWC to make a final from that position.

And even if this happens (4th or 6th) you'd still be RWC favorites imo.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed Aug 14, 2019 7:13 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 24814
Chilli wrote:
Let's be honest for a moment.
Can anyone really see New Zealand battling to beat Argentina, then drawing to the Boks, then losing to Australia............and then losing to Australia AGAIN in Auckland?

It is just not going to happen.

Don't see it happening either. But we can hope.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed Aug 14, 2019 7:17 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 18159
Location: End of the road, turn right and first house on the left
There seems to be a strong NH focus on this irrelevant set of numbers

Here, use this, it's just as meaningful

http://numbergenerator.org/randomnumbergenerator/1-100


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed Aug 14, 2019 7:51 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 1212
Location: NZ
The rankings are a better measure of a country's performance than the World Cup. It reflects how team is performing in test matches over a number of years rather than a short knockout tournament that can be decided on injuries and referee decisions.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed Aug 14, 2019 8:56 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 18159
Location: End of the road, turn right and first house on the left
BlueThunder wrote:
The rankings are a better measure of a country's performance than the World Cup. It reflects how team is performing in test matches over a number of years rather than a short knockout tournament that can be decided on injuries and referee decisions.


So can the rankings when last Saturday's game saw a movement between the sides of 5 points (but when result's the other way it's about .25 points). The fact that games between experimental sides and combinations counts doesn't make sense to me.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed Aug 14, 2019 9:04 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sat Sep 19, 2015 5:14 am
Posts: 6367
Location: NZ
Enzedder wrote:
There seems to be a strong NH focus on this irrelevant set of numbers

Here, use this, it's just as meaningful

http://numbergenerator.org/randomnumbergenerator/1-100

Things come in and out of fashion. Between 1991 and late 2011 certainly, rankings weren’t in vogue for many. For some reason they are again now and by the end of the year, who knows.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed Aug 14, 2019 9:05 pm 
Offline

Joined: Mon Jan 30, 2017 6:56 pm
Posts: 9042
Chilli wrote:
Let's be honest for a moment.
Can anyone really see New Zealand battling to beat Argentina, then drawing to the Boks, then losing to Australia............and then losing to Australia AGAIN in Auckland?

It is just not going to happen.


Yes, on Rugby Channel replays.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed Aug 14, 2019 9:17 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 11753
Location: Melbourne
JB1981 wrote:
Enzedder wrote:
There seems to be a strong NH focus on this irrelevant set of numbers

Here, use this, it's just as meaningful

http://numbergenerator.org/randomnumbergenerator/1-100

Things come in and out of fashion. Between 1991 and late 2011 certainly, rankings weren’t in vogue for many. For some reason they are again now and by the end of the year, who knows.


:lol: :nod:


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed Aug 14, 2019 9:19 pm 
Offline

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 33899
Location: Pigdogistan
blindcider wrote:
Frodder wrote:
These rankings has got PR all fired up for sure


TBF, the ranking positions in and of themselves aren't very interesting or hugely relevant. Whats interesting is how closely the top teams have become in the ranking points that drastic changes in position can happen.

The rankings are often a bit misleading as to who's the best, as changes in the rankings can lag behind performances and are subject to chance with home/away game and who you play in a given season. But the clustering of the top few teams very close together is actually fairly representative of recent the current state of play. Lots of good teams, with decent recent records and varying form deciding exactly who's where in a given month or so.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed Aug 14, 2019 9:51 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sat Aug 06, 2016 5:04 am
Posts: 8839
Nah NZ got bored of beating teams and getting nothing in return in terms of ranking points, now if they beat any team in the top6 , they get ranking points..


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed Aug 14, 2019 10:36 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 1636
Location: The Shipwreck Coast
blindcider wrote:
Frodder wrote:
These rankings has got PR all fired up for sure


TBF, the ranking positions in and of themselves aren't very interesting or hugely relevant. Whats interesting is how closely the top teams have become in the ranking points that drastic changes in position can happen.


This is panning out to be the most even RWC ever.
Neutral host makes it more exciting


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu Aug 15, 2019 2:35 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Wed Feb 01, 2012 6:43 am
Posts: 2965
saffer13 wrote:
A home win for Wales (by any points margin) over England on Saturday will see them (the Welsh) assume the No 1 spot regardless of the result at Eden Park.


So NZ could fall behind Wales even if they thrash OZ this weekend? Good. I can't imagine anything would get the ABs more motivated than falling a few notches down the totem pole, especially if that puts them behind a team they haven't lost to in 66 years.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu Aug 15, 2019 2:39 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 15397
Location: STRAYA!
Chilli wrote:
Let's be honest for a moment.
Can anyone really see New Zealand battling to beat Argentina, then drawing to the Boks, then losing to Australia............and then losing to Australia AGAIN in Auckland?

It is just not going to happen.


I certainly didn't see Australia putting 47 on the ABs.

Stranger things have happened.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu Aug 15, 2019 2:54 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 12182
Lacrobat wrote:
saffer13 wrote:
A home win for Wales (by any points margin) over England on Saturday will see them (the Welsh) assume the No 1 spot regardless of the result at Eden Park.


So NZ could fall behind Wales even if they thrash OZ this weekend? Good. I can't imagine anything would get the ABs more motivated than falling a few notches down the totem pole, especially if that puts them behind a team they haven't lost to in 66 years*.


Andy Hayden you cheating cnut.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu Aug 15, 2019 2:56 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 11192
LandOTurk wrote:
Lacrobat wrote:
saffer13 wrote:
A home win for Wales (by any points margin) over England on Saturday will see them (the Welsh) assume the No 1 spot regardless of the result at Eden Park.


So NZ could fall behind Wales even if they thrash OZ this weekend? Good. I can't imagine anything would get the ABs more motivated than falling a few notches down the totem pole, especially if that puts them behind a team they haven't lost to in 66 years*.


Andy Hayden you cheating cnut.

Now now, if Geoff Wheel (by cheating) hadn't pushed Frank Oliver you would have won that match.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu Aug 15, 2019 3:09 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sun Feb 05, 2012 3:15 pm
Posts: 33390
Location: Planet Rock
saffer13 wrote:
Mr Mike wrote:
4th or 6th. It would be a pretty unusual RWC to make a final from that position.

And even if this happens (4th or 6th) you'd still be RWC favorites imo.

If Australia win at Eden park on the weekend South Africa become world cup Favourites for me


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu Aug 15, 2019 3:17 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sun Feb 05, 2012 3:15 pm
Posts: 33390
Location: Planet Rock
England getting fucked by Wales last weekend would make Wales world No1

England getting fucked by Wales this weekend would make Wales world No1

England getting fucked by Ireland the following weekend would make Ireland world No1


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu Aug 15, 2019 4:33 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 411
Chilli wrote:
Let's be honest for a moment.
Can anyone really see New Zealand battling to beat Argentina, then drawing to the Boks, then losing to Australia............and then losing to Australia AGAIN in Auckland?

It is just not going to happen.


So to be clear, your argument is that we can’t possibly lose this one because we were already thrashed by this team last week and we also have terrible recent form against other teams?

Yeah that’s some special logic.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu Aug 15, 2019 4:40 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 15515
Location: Haunting your dreams
Anonymous. wrote:
saffer13 wrote:
Mr Mike wrote:
4th or 6th. It would be a pretty unusual RWC to make a final from that position.

And even if this happens (4th or 6th) you'd still be RWC favorites imo.

If Australia win at Eden park on the weekend South Africa become world cup Favourites for me


Me too.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu Aug 15, 2019 4:43 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 14428
RoscoPColtrain wrote:
Chilli wrote:
Let's be honest for a moment.
Can anyone really see New Zealand battling to beat Argentina, then drawing to the Boks, then losing to Australia............and then losing to Australia AGAIN in Auckland?

It is just not going to happen.


So to be clear, your argument is that we can’t possibly lose this one because we were already thrashed by this team last week and we also have terrible recent form against other teams?

Yeah that’s some special logic.

Whose multi are you?


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu Aug 15, 2019 4:46 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 14428
Thomas wrote:
Chilli wrote:
Let's be honest for a moment.
Can anyone really see New Zealand battling to beat Argentina, then drawing to the Boks, then losing to Australia............and then losing to Australia AGAIN in Auckland?

It is just not going to happen.


I certainly didn't see Australia putting 47 on the ABs.

Stranger things have happened.

Dìd Hansie reaĺly die in that plane crash?


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu Aug 15, 2019 9:08 am 
Offline

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 3126
What be even funnier is winning a World cup being the sixth seed in the tourney.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu Aug 15, 2019 10:03 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 6481
Location: LOL! WISDOM!
Couch wrote:
What be even funnier is winning a World cup being the sixth seed in the tourney.

Your team is top seed in the tournament. SA are seventh and Wales eighth.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu Aug 15, 2019 10:25 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sun May 28, 2017 2:38 am
Posts: 3698
Location: NZ
Only problem for Wales is they tend to choke when it comes to things like this


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu Aug 15, 2019 11:52 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sat Feb 18, 2012 11:53 pm
Posts: 16366
Location: Perth
Zakar wrote:
Anonymous. wrote:
saffer13 wrote:
Mr Mike wrote:
4th or 6th. It would be a pretty unusual RWC to make a final from that position.

And even if this happens (4th or 6th) you'd still be RWC favorites imo.

If Australia win at Eden park on the weekend South Africa become world cup Favourites for me


Me too.


I’ve seen them as favourites all year. On paper they’re clearly the strongest squad.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu Aug 15, 2019 12:07 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 656
towny wrote:
Zakar wrote:
Anonymous. wrote:
saffer13 wrote:
Mr Mike wrote:
4th or 6th. It would be a pretty unusual RWC to make a final from that position.

And even if this happens (4th or 6th) you'd still be RWC favorites imo.

If Australia win at Eden park on the weekend South Africa become world cup Favourites for me


Me too.


I’ve seen them as favourites all year. On paper they’re clearly the strongest squad.


It's theirs to lose!


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu Aug 15, 2019 4:36 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 24814
towny wrote:
Zakar wrote:
Anonymous. wrote:
saffer13 wrote:
Mr Mike wrote:
4th or 6th. It would be a pretty unusual RWC to make a final from that position.

And even if this happens (4th or 6th) you'd still be RWC favorites imo.

If Australia win at Eden park on the weekend South Africa become world cup Favourites for me


Me too.


I’ve seen them as favourites all year. On paper they’re clearly the strongest squad.

Bugger off you lot :lol:


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu Aug 15, 2019 5:57 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 3010
Dark wrote:
Only problem for Wales is they tend to choke when it comes to things like this

I remember a side called AB doing that a few times in the WC.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu Aug 15, 2019 9:42 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sun Mar 19, 2017 1:55 am
Posts: 7880
Location: Newport, Gwent
Never happen, World Rugby have too much to lose by the all blacks slipping from the top spot. Why do you think Wales lost to England?


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu Aug 15, 2019 9:46 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sun Feb 05, 2012 3:15 pm
Posts: 33390
Location: Planet Rock
bessantj wrote:
Never happen, World Rugby have too much to lose by the all blacks slipping from the top spot. Why do you think Wales lost to England?

I like it


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu Aug 15, 2019 10:20 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 18287
bessantj wrote:
Never happen, World Rugby have too much to lose by the all blacks slipping from the top spot. Why do you think Wales lost to England?


'Big Rugby' is a stain on our wonderful game, what with their constant paying off of officials and 'suiciding' of errant informants.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon Aug 19, 2019 2:17 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 24814
Not quite the result I had hoped for against AUS but SA move up a spot. Wales at #1 :lol:

Quote:
Cape Town - The Springboks have moved past England into fourth spot on the official World Rugby rankings. This follows South Africa's 24-18 win over Argentina in Pretoria on Saturday and England's 13-6 defeat to Wales in Cardiff. The Welsh, who have won 15 of their last 16 Tests, have moved past the All Blacks into top spot for the first time. New Zealand beat Australia 36-0 in Auckland to retain the Bledisloe Cup but it was not enough for them to relinquish top spot for the first time since November 2009.

Elsewhere, France moved past Scotland into seventh spot after beating them 27-10 in Paris.
Top 20 in the latest World Rugby rankings:
1. Wales 89.43
2. New Zealand 89.40
3. Ireland 88.69
4. South Africa 86.83
5. England 86.79
6. Australia 84.05
7. France 80.58
8. Scotland 79.01
9. Japan 77.21
10. Fiji 76.98


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 91 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next

All times are UTC [ DST ]


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Google Adsense [Bot], Jay Cee Gee, Jensrsa, Kiwias, Peaches, rett, Rowdy, Wilderbeast and 1 guest


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group