Chat Forum
It is currently Sun Dec 15, 2019 7:19 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: Tue Sep 10, 2019 2:42 pm 

Can anyone tell me what Quiet Mode is on an air to water heating system and what are the downsides to this? Obviously it makes the machine quieter outside but what is the trade off? It's not in the manual and can't find anything online.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 10, 2019 2:48 pm 

Quiet mode reduces your system noise from low 60 decibels to low 40's. It decreases the heating / cooling capacity of the unit so its not much good at extremes of temp

Last edited by sewa on Tue Sep 10, 2019 2:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 10, 2019 2:50 pm 

Quiet mode operation means that the outdoor unit works at reduced
capacity so that the sound produced by the outdoor unit drops. This
implies that the indoor heating (and cooling) capacity will also drop.
Beware of this when a certain level of heating (or cooling) is required
indoors........ There you go fogs.

http://fr.be.daikineurope.com/docs/4PEN348534-1.pdf

PostPosted: Tue Sep 10, 2019 4:31 pm 

Thanks lads.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 14, 2019 9:49 am 

Just another thing on the ATW system. I have underfloor heating downstairs and electric rads upstairs. I have the thermometer upstairs set to 22 degrees but it never reaches that, instead hovering around the 20 degrees mark. The rads are only ever lukewarm at best. Is there something I should be doing in order for the thermometer to reach what I have it set to?

The downstairs thermometer seems to be fine and reaches the desired temperature.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 14, 2019 10:33 am 

Fogs,

ATW system are a completely different system to your traditional Gas/Oil boiler system. The rads will only be ever be lukewarm as its transferring heat in the outside air via a coolant and heat pump system, to your underfloor heat and aluminium rads, you're talking about 40deg or so, basically transfer low grade heat in the air, you leave on the Heat pump for longer during the day as it'll take longer to heat the space.

Also I'm not sure why you would want to heat your upstairs >20deg, which I assume is your bedrooms? Anything higher than 20deg is suppose to be bad for sleeping in terms of comfort, but let pretend your a Brazilian woman here and you need 22degs, you probably have two options, leave the heat pump on for longer costing you more and it could cost you alot more if you are on night rate and start using electricity in day rate. or replace the rads with bigger ones to reach that temperature, the rads are probably sized correctly to go between 18-20 degs as is the normal temperature for bedrooms, anything about that you need bigger rads.

I think the problem here is perception, you think the ATW system is the same as your traditional system with nice hot rads, it will never be. Also if you are cold upstairs and its at 20deg then you have other problems mainly around insulation and air tightness.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 14, 2019 11:39 am 

Where is the upstairs thermometer positioned?

PostPosted: Thu Nov 14, 2019 12:35 pm 

Thanks MM, it's not cold upstairs as such, I was just unsure as to why it wasn't reaching the setting I put it at but your explanation makes sense. I'm still getting to grips with the thing. Thanks again.

LM, it's located in the landing at the top of the stairs.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 14, 2019 1:28 pm 

MunsterMan!!!!! wrote:
Fogs,

ATW system are a completely different system to your traditional Gas/Oil boiler system. The rads will only be ever be lukewarm as its transferring heat in the outside air via a coolant and heat pump system, to your underfloor heat and aluminium rads, you're talking about 40deg or so, basically transfer low grade heat in the air, you leave on the Heat pump for longer during the day as it'll take longer to heat the space.

Also I'm not sure why you would want to heat your upstairs >20deg, which I assume is your bedrooms? Anything higher than 20deg is suppose to be bad for sleeping in terms of comfort, but let pretend your a Brazilian woman here and you need 22degs, you probably have two options, leave the heat pump on for longer costing you more and it could cost you alot more if you are on night rate and start using electricity in day rate. or replace the rads with bigger ones to reach that temperature, the rads are probably sized correctly to go between 18-20 degs as is the normal temperature for bedrooms, anything about that you need bigger rads.

I think the problem here is perception, you think the ATW system is the same as your traditional system with nice hot rads, it will never be. Also if you are cold upstairs and its at 20deg then you have other problems mainly around insulation and air tightness.

Yes they take a lot of getting used to. It’s a nice background heat as opposed to a blast of strong heat. They’re not that economical - better than oil/gas by a bit but in the really cold weather they have to work hard and you can get a very high electricity bill. Bedrooms always 19 degrees - be careful where you place the thermostat

PostPosted: Thu Nov 14, 2019 7:58 pm 

Munster-fogs wrote:
Thanks MM, it's not cold upstairs as such, I was just unsure as to why it wasn't reaching the setting I put it at but your explanation makes sense. I'm still getting to grips with the thing. Thanks again.

LM, it's located in the landing at the top of the stairs.

Thought so. It'll never reach 22 because of where it is and all that means is you're overheating other upstairs areas as a result trying to reach that setpoint.