Chat Forum
It is currently Mon Dec 09, 2019 12:25 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Earthquakes
PostPosted: Wed Nov 13, 2019 10:51 am 

Jeff the Bear wrote:
terangi48 wrote:
Stay near the waterfront in a tent outside Te Papa Enz.......if a quake hits, youre close to the Picton Ferry.....

fudge that. If the big one hits Wellington, half of it is sliding down the hill and into the sea.

As I've no doubt mentioned before, I was in the second tallest building in Christchurch when the big one hit in 2011. In a similar manner, when it came to fight or flight, my brain chose 'stand there like a lemon'. Although in fairness, I like to think my brain rapidly realised there wasn't anything to fight, and it was too big to run from...and if it had been my time, then I was about to feel what several thousands of tonnes of concrete feels like on top of my head.

I actually go more scared a couple of hours later when I met up with all the other structural engineers in Chch who had congregated in the art gallery, which had a massive glass clad atrium. The biggest aftershock of the quakes after the big one happened, almost all vertical shakes in nature (I have by he way been subject to some of the largest vertical accelerations ever recorded during that period). That was extremely scary...and so was spending the next month clambering through ruins while further aftershocks happened.

Took me a long time to get over that.

I remember that.

All known Christchurch posters had checked in and then came reports that part of the Cathedral had collapsed.
And rumours that there had been engineers there doing a structural inspection at the time.

... hang on, isn't JtB down there in Christchurch looking at damaged buildings from the previous quake... and he hasn't posted since yesterday...

Anyway, by the time we did get word from you, the tribute thread was several pages long and a 50/50 mix of poetic laments and FHHD :lol: :lol:

PostPosted: Wed Nov 13, 2019 11:12 am 

On the subject of the pending Great Earthquake in the Pacific Northwest... a few months ago I came across a Geology series on that part of the World.
Probably popped up on my suggestion list after I'd watched a video on the Yellowstone Supervolcano.
They've had an astonishing collection of geological events in the region over the last 50m years or so from Earthquakes to Flood Basalts, to Ice Ages Floods to Supervolcanoes...

Anyway, here's a few:

Great Earthquakes of the Pacific Northwest
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UJ7Qc3bsxjI

Supervolcanoes of the Pacific Northwest
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NcreTTI9Rew

Ice Age Floods
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3wKOVZKimwg
(That's Glacial Lake Missoula if you're wondering)

These are public lectures at a Community Centre in a town in Central Washington.
The speaker is Geologist Nick Zentner, who teaches at Central Washington University.
He's a bloody good speaker, makes it incredibly easy to follow.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 13, 2019 11:36 am 

https://www.newyorker.com/magazine/2015 ... ig-one/amp

This is scary

PostPosted: Wed Nov 13, 2019 2:10 pm 

I have many endearing memories of the earthquake in Japan but the one I will never forget is once we eventually emerged from our desks and walked the enormous number of stairs down (lifts were obviously out) and came out onto the busy Akasaka streets surrounded by 60 and 70 storey skyscrapers earily swaying in the silence was looking up at those poor bastards who have to clean the windows who were clinging on to their massively swaying platforms for dear fcuking life. Those poor poor bastards.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 13, 2019 9:07 pm 

backrow wrote:
Can’t see why anyone wants to experience one - they are very scary. My family was in one in Romania in 1986 that thankfully was a low magnitude one (vase faller, chimney crumbler, window cracker type) but lasted about 30 seconds. I was asleep at the time next to my little brother but was woken by the noise and our mom covering our heads. The noise was extremely loud and directionless , just all encompassing. Not pleasant at all for a 9 year old.

It was only a bit later that we realised that during that night , the animals (feral and pet dogs mostly) had been extremely quiet and had been commented on before the quake . Quite eerie how they knew.

My wife reckons whenever a pod of whales beach themselves it's often followed by a major earthquake. Probably no evidence of this but anecdotally it has happened a few times.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 13, 2019 9:08 pm 

HKCJ wrote:
I have many endearing memories of the earthquake in Japan but the one I will never forget is once we eventually emerged from our desks and walked the enormous number of stairs down (lifts were obviously out) and came out onto the busy Akasaka streets surrounded by 60 and 70 storey skyscrapers earily swaying in the silence was looking up at those poor bastards who have to clean the windows who were clinging on to their massively swaying platforms for dear fcuking life. Those poor poor bastards.

:shock: Fucking hell!!!

I guess those guys must be f**king brave plum just to do that job in normal circumstances.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 13, 2019 10:04 pm 

Is it just me or are earthquakes becoming more frequent?

We've had a few these past few weeks, the latest just a few hours ago, 3.4 I think.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 14, 2019 4:04 am 

flaggETERNAL wrote:
Is it just me or are earthquakes becoming more frequent?

We've had a few these past few weeks, the latest just a few hours ago, 3.4 I think.

I'd be very happy to say hopefully not, having lived through over 13,000 in Christchurch & Kaikoura between 2010 and 2017 I'd gladly never feel another one in my life. Too much to ask nature for though.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 14, 2019 6:40 am 

Just God's plan

PostPosted: Thu Nov 14, 2019 7:01 am 

He doesn't like religion it would seem, having knocked down most of the churches in Christchurch.

The strip club survived intact though. Just ask Jeff the Bear.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 14, 2019 7:05 am 

Fat Old Git wrote:
He doesn't like religion it would seem, having knocked down most of the churches in Christchurch.

The strip club survived intact
though. Just ask Jeff the Bear.

Maybe even God fucks up from time to time? :?

PostPosted: Thu Nov 14, 2019 7:17 am 

booji boy wrote:
Fat Old Git wrote:

He took out every house on the street I grew up on in Kaiapoi except for the two either side of my old house (gone).

Think he was sending me a personal message.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 14, 2019 7:20 am 

booji boy wrote:
Fat Old Git wrote:

Just mother nature being a fickle bitch.

After the September 2010 big one, there were claims it was God's punishment as many of the affected building where on Manchester street which is known for often having ladies of negotiable affection standing on street corners. After the Feb 2011 quake those voices strangely went silent.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 14, 2019 7:25 am 

Fat Old Git wrote:
booji boy wrote:
Fat Old Git wrote:

After the September 2010 big one, there were claims it was God's punishment as many of the affected building where on Manchester street which is known for often having ladies of negotiable affection standing on street corners. After the Feb 2011 quake those voices strangely went silent.

Think Brian Tamaki even blamed the gayers for them from memory.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 14, 2019 7:52 am 

Fat Old Git wrote:
booji boy wrote:
Fat Old Git wrote:

:lol:

PostPosted: Thu Nov 14, 2019 8:23 am 

In 1994 I was n LA “working” at a backpackers called The Banana Bungalow, I used to help run a karaoke on Sunday night’s where we would provide a free keg or two depending on numbers staying, it got to 4:30 am Monday morning, the party was still going and I was on the mic singing “these boots are made for walking” when all of a sudden my boots literally started moving, and not by anything I was doing, for some reason despite my very inebriated state, I knew straight away what was happening, so started going “earthquake earthquake” on the mic, the other drunk people, so everyone else, looked at me like I was a fool, until the bank of lights fell from the ceiling, and then they all realised, ahh earthquake, so we did completely the wrong thing and grabbed the keg and ran outside.

My mate who was also working there but was on driving duty, so was stone cold sober, said it was the scariest thing he’d ever experienced, and he had done his national service in Angola, I thought it was a bit of an experience, that was until I went for a drive the next day and saw the damage and heard about all the deaths, very sobering moment

And I’ve chosen to live in NZ :? :lol:

PostPosted: Thu Nov 14, 2019 9:16 am 

jambanja wrote:
In 1994 I was n LA “working” at a backpackers called The Banana Bungalow, I used to help run a karaoke on Sunday night’s where we would provide a free keg or two depending on numbers staying, it got to 4:30 am Monday morning, the party was still going and I was on the mic singing “these boots are made for walking” when all of a sudden my boots literally started moving, and not by anything I was doing, for some reason despite my very inebriated state, I knew straight away what was happening, so started going “earthquake earthquake” on the mic, the other drunk people, so everyone else, looked at me like I was a fool, until the bank of lights fell from the ceiling, and then they all realised, ahh earthquake, so we grabbed the keg and ran outside.

My mate who was also working there but was on driving duty, so was stone cold sober, said it was the scariest thing he’d ever experienced, and he had done his national service in Angola, I thought it was a bit of an experience, that was until I went for a drive the next day and saw the damage and heard about all the deaths, very sobering moment

:lol: Top form. :thumbup:

PostPosted: Thu Nov 14, 2019 10:35 am 

jambanja wrote:
In 1994 I was n LA “working” at a backpackers called The Banana Bungalow, I used to help run a karaoke on Sunday night’s where we would provide a free keg or two depending on numbers staying, it got to 4:30 am Monday morning, the party was still going and I was on the mic singing “these boots are made for walking” when all of a sudden my boots literally started moving, and not by anything I was doing, for some reason despite my very inebriated state, I knew straight away what was happening, so started going “earthquake earthquake” on the mic, the other drunk people, so everyone else, looked at me like I was a fool, until the bank of lights fell from the ceiling, and then they all realised, ahh earthquake, so we did completely the wrong thing and grabbed the keg and ran outside.

Great place. Stayed there in '92. Unfortunately the only good thing about LA in our view...