Post subject: Sean Edwards to France
PostPosted: Wed Nov 13, 2019 6:01 pm 

https://twitter.com/thepaulwilliams/sta ... 4349955072

PostPosted: Wed Nov 13, 2019 6:13 pm 

tc27 wrote:
https://twitter.com/thepaulwilliams/status/1194589214349955072

:shock: :shock: :lol:

PostPosted: Wed Nov 13, 2019 6:16 pm 

I thought this was announced months ago.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 13, 2019 6:17 pm 

If the French players buy into his ethos and work ethic they will become a serious force again.

Bollocks anyway.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 13, 2019 6:32 pm 

Will the French cope with his training regime?

PostPosted: Wed Nov 13, 2019 6:33 pm 

all french coaching team + him, needs to work it out with them first

PostPosted: Wed Nov 13, 2019 6:35 pm 

Plato'sCave wrote:
Will the French cope with his training regime?

Only in charge of defence.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 13, 2019 6:38 pm 

In other news, I saw that Berlin Wall had fallen.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 13, 2019 7:09 pm 

feckwanker wrote:
If the French players buy into his ethos and work ethic they will become a serious force again.
Yep, but will they? As Akkerman says, he has to get the rest of the coaching staff on side first... would love more than anything in the rugby world right now for France to become strong again, but am sceptical that Edwards is going to work out. Hope to be proved wrong!

PostPosted: Wed Nov 13, 2019 7:16 pm 

French mutiny incoming.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 13, 2019 7:20 pm 

:lol:

If there is a mutiny it'll be because of the selectionneur famed people's skills rather than an assistant coach.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 13, 2019 8:01 pm 

Interesting to hear Jim Hamilton/Goode speak of Galthie on their podcast. They think he is an absolute cowboy of a coach, with little clue whatsoever with respect to coaching attacking structures.. It's all just "jouer, jouer!" to him and they regard him as a total bluffer.

Edwards might give the French some steel, but can't see the French players having the fitness levels he requires for his defense to be as successful in the 6N.. that is except once every 4 years when the players will have extended squad time.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 13, 2019 8:50 pm 

Brian9848 wrote:
Interesting to hear Jim Hamilton/Goode speak of Galthie on their podcast. They think he is an absolute cowboy of a coach, with little clue whatsoever with respect to coaching attacking structures.. It's all just "jouer, jouer!" to him and they regard him as a total bluffer.

Edwards might give the French some steel, but can't see the French players having the fitness levels he requires for his defense to be as successful in the 6N.. that is except once every 4 years when the players will have extended squad time.

:lol: :lol:

They couldn't be more mistaken. Not surprised tbh, bunch of tools.
Galthié is ALL about precision and analysis etc.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 13, 2019 8:59 pm 

Heymans wrote:
Brian9848 wrote:

yeah, I'm probably not going to write off the opinion of two former internationals who likely know people who played under/ with Galthié because they're "tools" because some anonymous bloke on the internet says so. Unless that bloke's first name happens to be 'Cédric', anyway.

How's it worked out so far with Galthié's precision and analysis as vice coach?

PostPosted: Wed Nov 13, 2019 9:03 pm 

Balls Out! wrote:
Heymans wrote:
Brian9848 wrote:

yeah, I'm probably not going to write off the opinion of two former internationals who likely know people who played under/ with Galthié because they're "tools" because some anonymous bloke on the internet says so. Unless that bloke's first name happens to be 'Cédric', anyway.

Well I don't think Goode or Hamilton ever even spoke to Galthié, unlike me who's just spent 6 weeks with him in Japan for the RWC. (Globus moment). I doubt Goode has seen the game plan meetings, unlike me. SO I an tell you again, Galthié is ALL about precision, analysis etc.

It went pretty well considering everyone (me included) thought we'd be out in the pools. Some very tasty rugby too. But thanks for asking.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 13, 2019 9:12 pm 

Heymans wrote:
Balls Out! wrote:
Heymans wrote:
Brian9848 wrote:

Well I don't think Goode or Hamilton ever even spoke to Galthié, unlike me who's just spent 6 weeks with him in Japan for the RWC. (Globus moment). I doubt Goode has seen the game plan meetings, unlike me. SO I an tell you again, Galthié is ALL about precision, analysis etc.

It went pretty well considering everyone (me included) thought we'd be out in the pools. Some very tasty rugby too. But thanks for asking.
Ok mate, sounds like all's well and rosy chez vous then, nothing to worry about. Bonne chance :thumbup:

PostPosted: Wed Nov 13, 2019 9:22 pm 

Balls Out! wrote:
Heymans wrote:
Balls Out! wrote:
Heymans wrote:
Brian9848 wrote:

Ok mate, sounds like all's well and rosy chez vous then, nothing to worry about. Bonne chance :thumbup:

PostPosted: Wed Nov 13, 2019 9:46 pm 

Hamilton was a player at Montpellier when Galthie was the head coach and has repeatedly said that the team did well in spite of his coaching. Just one player's opinion of course, but Hamilton has been saying that Galthie is rubbish for years.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 13, 2019 9:56 pm 

Brian9848 wrote:
Hamilton was a player at Montpellier when Galthie was the head coach and has repeatedly said that the team did well in spite of his coaching. Just one player's opinion of course, but Hamilton has been saying that Galthie is rubbish for years.

Hamilton played at Montpellier, when it was the end of Galthié story there. The club was a mess, players were tired of him, so no surprise Hamilton don't have a good opinion about him. Finally Galthié was fired, and we took Jake White. One of the first thing he did was to recruit boks players, as the main problem was the squad. Finally I don't know of Galthié is or isn't a real good coach, but as a Montpellier fan, Hamilton is one of the worst lock we ever had. :lol:

PostPosted: Wed Nov 13, 2019 10:00 pm 

I didn't think they thought Galthie was full "jouer, jouer", more that the thought he was an absolute plum who was shit with players/people.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 13, 2019 10:07 pm 

grimoald wrote:
I didn't think they thought Galthie was full "jouer, jouer", more that the thought he was an absolute plum who was shit with players/people.

That's is absolutely true. It's his main weakness, fortunately as a national coach, he will not see the players everyday like in a club. Add to that there is Ibanez with him, whose main quality is to smooth things over.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 13, 2019 10:34 pm 

That's a good get for France.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 13, 2019 11:26 pm 

Brian9848 wrote:
sorry, Brian, but despite being directly in his employ, a bloke on the internet says that Hamilton never ever ever ever spoke to good old Fab, and also he had a lovely holiday in Japan with Mr Precision himself.

You heard it here first. Welcome to Planet Rugby, where armchair fans know far more than actual players.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 14, 2019 7:00 am 

When was the last time the French had a charmless oaf as a coach, how did that go? Oh hang on, as you were...

PostPosted: Thu Nov 14, 2019 8:58 am 

Balls Out! wrote:
Brian9848 wrote:
sorry, Brian, but despite being directly in his employ, a bloke on the internet says that Hamilton never ever ever ever spoke to good old Fab, and also he had a lovely holiday in Japan with Mr Precision himself.

You heard it here first. Welcome to Planet Rugby, where armchair fans know far more than actual players.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 14, 2019 11:08 am 

Farnce are lucky, Sean Edwards will go to much further lengths than other coaches to get his players to improve:

https://www.walesonline.co.uk/sport/rug ... o-17253708

Quote:

The day Shaun Edwards 'broke into' Lawrence Dallaglio's home to talk about his performance

England World Cup winner Lawrence Dallaglio has recounted the day Shaun Edwards broke into his house for an inquest into his performance for Wasps when both were leading lights at the Gallagher Premiership giants.

Ex-Wales coach Edwards was finally unveiled as part of Fabien Galthie's new-look France backroom staff on Wednesday following months of speculation he was set to link up with Les Bleus.

Edwards left his Wales role after 12 years following the World Cup and will be Galthie's new defence coach. He will work alongside team manager Raphael Ibanez under Galthie.

Ibanez was coached by Edwards when he was at Wasps.

In the wake of Wednesday's announcement, much of the social media chat focused on whether Edwards' one-off coaching style and his unique character would sit well across the Channel with the often bolshie French national team.

And 85-times England titan Dallaglio recalled the day he came home to find then-Wasps coach Edwards in his home for a debrief on his previous Saturday's performance for the club.

"The only coach to break into my house and sat waiting for my arrival home to discuss my performance the previous Saturday for Wasps," Dallaglio tweeted out.

"Had a 10 minute chat and then got up and left. Just an average day. Relationship like no other I’ve ever experienced.

"He’s my brother like no other. Serial winner Wigan, Wasps, Wales. France?"

Toulon ready to rip up offer to All Blacks superstar and sign Liam Williams instead

Dallaglio's tale prompted former Dragons lock and fellow TV pundit Andrew Coombs to recall the time he missed a tackle playing for Wales and the consequences of his blooper over the breakfast table afterwards.

"The only coach to physically smash tackle me repeatedly over a breakfast table on a Monday morning due to missing a tackle," said 10-times capped Coombs.

"With the rest of the squad p**sing themselves laughing with their heads in their breakfasts. Good luck Shaun. But an even bigger good luck to France."

Andrew Coombs

@Coombs_A
Replying to @dallaglio8 @andNickMullins
The only coach to physically smash tackle me repeatedly over a breakfast table on a Monday morning due to missing a tackle! With the rest of the squad pissing themselves laughing with their heads in their breakfasts.

Good luck Shaun...
But an even bigger Good Luck to France 🇫🇷😂

10:26 PM - Nov 13, 2019
Twitter Ads info and privacy
See Andrew Coombs's other Tweets
Former England rugby league international Edwards was part of a Wales coaching team that won four Six Nations titles and three Grand Slams, and also helped head coach Warren Gatland guide them to two World Cup semi-finals.

Gatland is returning to New Zealand to take up the role of head coach at Super Rugby outfit Chiefs before he will take charge of his third successive Lions tour in 2021.

Former Wales forwards coach Robin McBryde began his new life across the Irish Sea this week as part of Stuart Lancaster's coaching team at Leinster.

The Wales v England row inside the Principality Stadium that saw fuming Warren Gatland brand them 'a joke'

And Edwards said of his new job: "I'm happy to join the France adventure alongside Fabien and Raphael.

"My goal is to maximize the speed of defence play. This method has already been successful in the past."

Last edited by eldanielfire on Thu Nov 14, 2019 11:12 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 14, 2019 11:11 am 

Be interesting to see how this plays out. France played some superb rugby in the world cup, only to fuck it up horrendously at other times. If Edwards can instill a bit of discipline in them without losing the - ahem - flair they showed, they'll be a force to be reckoned with. At least until FFR manage to make a total arse of things. Again.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 14, 2019 11:21 am 

Its the hope that kills you. You think maybe, just maybe...

If it works out we certainly have what it takes to have a great team.

Chat, Ollivon, Alldritt, Dupont, Ntamack, Vakatawa, Penaud all have the potential to be world class.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 14, 2019 11:25 am 

Balls Out! wrote:
Brian9848 wrote:

Hamilton's a f**king mong, though. He went on and on about how the red card in the Argentina/England game ruined it a few weeks ago before adding that he switched it off as soon as the card came out and so hadn't actually seen any of the play past that point...

If he told me the grass was green I'd want a second opinion.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 14, 2019 11:29 am 

Amazing coincidence! Shaun Edwards is going to France too.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 26, 2019 11:21 pm 

https://rugbyonslaught.com/shaun-edward ... WK1SMVy8Ls

Having a go at french

Cant help being excited about this...