Chat Forum
It is currently Sun Mar 29, 2020 4:39 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 364 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 ... 10  Next
PostPosted: Mon Jan 27, 2020 12:26 pm 

comets wrote:
for a rich guy, why would he buy a copter made in 1991? i know they died t due to pilot error but looking at the video, while it was spinning out of control, something blew up underneath it

Yeah, those 1991 helicopters with engines underneath them are lethal.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 27, 2020 12:26 pm 

Seneca of the Night wrote:
Lobby wrote:
The Sun God wrote:
eldanielfire wrote:
The Sun God wrote:
The BBC did a touching tribute last night on the 10 O'Clock News except the pictures they showed were of LeBron James. !!!!
Maybe the name JAMES plastered across his singlet should have been a clue ........ :? :?

How the hell can you mix those two up? They don't even look vaguely alike.

It's the BBC ffs...... if it's not snooker or indoor bowls, they really know f... all about sport.

Well they've made up for it since by devoting the whole of their Breakfast news to this story, even though most of their viewers won't know who he was.

That's more pathetic than the original error. They really are craven tools.

Bryant was huge. I don't follow basketball and he was ubiquitous. Even the proud boys would acknowledge that

PostPosted: Mon Jan 27, 2020 12:30 pm 

comets wrote:
for a rich guy, why would he buy a copter made in 1991? i know they died t due to pilot error but looking at the video, while it was spinning out of control, something blew up underneath it

1. New aircraft are horrifically expensive. It's why most everyone in general aviation that are not doctors fly 40 year old aircraft.
2. That said, the maintenance and maintenance records are far superior than anything ground transportation. The aircraft is required to be taken apart and everything checked once a year.
3. Think I saw they had nine people in this helicopter? If that's the case, strikes me as extremely high for a civilian helicopter. It could've been overloaded.
4. To point 3, FAA will produce an official crash investigstion and report as is custom.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 27, 2020 12:35 pm 

Flyin Ryan wrote:
comets wrote:

1. New aircraft are horrifically expensive. It's why most everyone in general aviation that are not doctors fly 40 year old aircraft.
2. That said, the maintenance and maintenance records are far superior than anything ground transportation. The aircraft is required to be taken apart and everything checked once a year.
3. Think I saw they had nine people in this helicopter? If that's the case, strikes me as extremely high for a civilian helicopter. It could've been overloaded.
4. To point 3, FAA will produce an official crash report as is custom.

3. It was a Sikorsky S-76B, a twin engined mid sized civilian utility chopper capable of carrying 2 crew and 13 passengers. There are military versions used around the world.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 27, 2020 12:39 pm 

EverReady wrote:

Bryant was huge. I don't follow basketball and he was ubiquitous. Even the proud boys would acknowledge that

You know who watches BBC breakfast right? White ladies from the shires who are actually dead.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 27, 2020 12:40 pm 

mr bungle wrote:
Flyin Ryan wrote:
comets wrote:

3. It was a Sikorsky S-76B, a twin engined mid sized civilian utility chopper capable of carrying 2 crew and 13 passengers. There are military versions used around the world.

Russians. I knew it.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 27, 2020 12:42 pm 

EverReady wrote:

You know who watches BBC breakfast right? White ladies from the shires who are actually dead.

It would be good for them to learn something about the outside world.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 27, 2020 12:43 pm 

Yeah, just read that. So that knocks that out, although some aircraft are designed to either run full fuel or full load, not both (e.g. a Cessna 172). Considering it's a Sikorsky I doubt that's the case however.

CNN story:

https://currently.att.yahoo.com/att/xan ... 24089.html

Quote:
The crash occurred under foggy and cloudy conditions with extremely low visibility, CNN meteorologist Michael Guy said.

Weather conditions on Sunday morning didn't meet the minimum standards for flying and the Los Angeles Police department grounded its helicopters, spokesman Josh Rubenstein told CNN.

Los Angeles County Fire Department Capt. Tony Imbrenda said he didn't immediately have information about whether the Sikorsky S-76B helicopter radioed a distress signal.

"Individuals that saw the aircraft said it was coming down at a fairly significant rate of speed and impacted the ground on the hillside," he told reporters.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 27, 2020 12:44 pm 

YOYO wrote:
Bogbunny I could bet my house on it British media from newspapers to TV have covered Coby Bryant over his 20 year career.
I’m pretty sure he’s had coverage in Irish media over they years. He’s definitely had cover on your media. It’s probably a case you don’t care or follow basketball.

I’d imagine most fans of sports would know of him.

Honestly I hadn't, and neither had the twelve or so people I have discussed it with. I would be reasonably well informed, but certain sports are seemingly just white noise.

I would know, Jordan, O'Neill, James etc but not this guy.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 27, 2020 12:47 pm 

mr bungle wrote:
Flyin Ryan wrote:
comets wrote:

trump has one too, damn God, u got the wrong billionaire :/

PostPosted: Mon Jan 27, 2020 12:48 pm 

Bogbunny wrote:
YOYO wrote:
Bogbunny I could bet my house on it British media from newspapers to TV have covered Coby Bryant over his 20 year career.
I’m pretty sure he’s had coverage in Irish media over they years. He’s definitely had cover on your media. It’s probably a case you don’t care or follow basketball.

Honestly I hadn't, and neither had the twelve or so people I have discussed it with. I would be reasonably well informed, but certain sports are seemingly just white noise.

If you’ve heard of Shaq how have you not heard of Kobe? They won three titles together.

Ireland :lol:

PostPosted: Mon Jan 27, 2020 12:51 pm 

Man In Black wrote:
Bogbunny wrote:
YOYO wrote:

If you’ve heard of Shaq how have you not heard of Kobe? They won three titles together.

Shaq obviously better known ;)

PostPosted: Mon Jan 27, 2020 12:54 pm 

Man In Black wrote:
Bogbunny wrote:
YOYO wrote:

The last time basketball was popular or even interesting was when the Harlem Globetrotters cartoon was on TV Ffs.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 27, 2020 12:54 pm 

no wonder we can't find pics of the chopper, Nike...... they Just did it

PostPosted: Mon Jan 27, 2020 12:56 pm 

Flyin Ryan wrote:

Sikorsky S-76B carries up to 12 passengers

PostPosted: Mon Jan 27, 2020 1:00 pm 

Bogbunny wrote:
Man In Black wrote:
Bogbunny wrote:
YOYO wrote:

Shaq obviously better known ;)

Shaq had the TV ads

PostPosted: Mon Jan 27, 2020 1:01 pm 

Sandstorm wrote:
Flyin Ryan wrote:

Sikorsky S-76B carries up to 12 passengers

The ESF-1TP carries 14 passengers.

Sorry, Irish joke...

PostPosted: Mon Jan 27, 2020 1:02 pm 

Man In Black wrote:
Bogbunny wrote:
YOYO wrote:

To be fair Shaq was a major brand before he even won titles (largely making terrible films) and was easy the bigger name when he and Kobe played together. I don't think Kobe ever reached the heights of Shaq fame outside of Basketball even if he was a legend inside the sport. The NBA ratings were also quite low in Kobe's era, between the Jordan era peak and recent higher ratings (which aren't clsoe to Jordan's era either)

PostPosted: Mon Jan 27, 2020 1:07 pm 

Man In Black wrote:
Bogbunny wrote:
YOYO wrote:

Shaq is better known over this way for his time at Orlando rather than Lakers.

I used to play basketball for youth sub-natinal league so I'm reasonably up to speed on most players of Kobe's era.
Although acknowledging Kobe's amazing record, he wasn't as high-profile here as others. Sad to say, given it's all marketing, most of those well-known in the UK were known for their trainers - which is why Jordan (obviously) and Shaq for his Reebok abominations were relatively household. There was also an initial surge of interest with Bulls/Knicks and later Bulls/Suns with individual rivalries that (obviously) didn't really feature Kobe.

Terrible news, and awful that (as I understand it) they were on their way to the daughter's basketball game - should have been a happy family event.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 27, 2020 1:13 pm 

they made it 'fancier' :/

PostPosted: Mon Jan 27, 2020 1:16 pm 

EverReady wrote:

Now they know about the slightly dodgy Bryant

PostPosted: Mon Jan 27, 2020 1:17 pm 

mr bungle wrote:
MungoMan wrote:
Blackrock Bullet wrote:
Why don’t you google that or do you have to let everyone know that you don’t know who he is?

Is there some pressing reason why he should know? You may not be aware that, in many countries, it is not mandatory to give a flying fúck about basketball or its players.

Surely message #2527204 being edgy again, no?

Maybe. But I wasn’t being edgy in the privacy of my own head when I saw the thread title, realised I knew the name but... that was it. Knew the name. Hence I’m opened the thread to remind myself who Kobe Bryant was.

Thing is, I never, ever gave a fúck about basketball; don’t watch it; don’t read about it. And altho’ I like feeling special, I can’t convince myself that this is a tiny club I’m in.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 27, 2020 1:19 pm 

eldanielfire wrote:
Man In Black wrote:
Bogbunny wrote:
YOYO wrote:

To be fair Shaq was a major brand before he even won titles (largely making terrible films) and was easy the bigger name when he and Kobe played together. I don't think Kobe ever reached the heights of Shaq fame outside of Basketball even if he was a legend inside the sport. The NBA ratings were also quite low in Kobe's era, between the Jordan era peak and recent higher ratings (which aren't clsoe to Jordan's era either)

Kobe is a huge celebrity in China for example.

I think your non-basketball fans in the U.S. would know Shaq more than Kobe because Shaq keeps a larger profile in retirement. (Part of me thinks he'll run in politics a decade down the road.)

Bad taste joke a teammate shared: "the first time Kobe passed, he passed away".

Last edited by Flyin Ryan on Mon Jan 27, 2020 1:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 27, 2020 1:19 pm 

sad news...

wonder if anyone had a beef with him?

PostPosted: Mon Jan 27, 2020 1:20 pm 

MungoMan wrote:
mr bungle wrote:
MungoMan wrote:
Blackrock Bullet wrote:
Why don’t you google that or do you have to let everyone know that you don’t know who he is?

Is there some pressing reason why he should know? You may not be aware that, in many countries, it is not mandatory to give a flying fúck about basketball or its players.

Maybe. But I wasn’t being edgy in the privacy of my own head when I saw the thread title, realised I knew the name but... that was it. Knew the name. Hence I’m opened the thread to remind myself who Kobe Bryant was.

Thing is, I never, ever gave a fúck about basketball; don’t watch it; don’t read about it. And altho’ I like feeling special, I can’t convince myself that this is a tiny club I’m in.

Yeah it’s only about the second or third biggest sport on earth.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 27, 2020 1:21 pm 

Man In Black wrote:
MungoMan wrote:
mr bungle wrote:
MungoMan wrote:
Blackrock Bullet wrote:

There's something a bit not right about basketball fans though.

I think it's something about the lack of mud or grass or something. Too much of the high street, and bargain basement sports equipment clearing shops.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 27, 2020 1:32 pm 

Man In Black wrote:
MungoMan wrote:
mr bungle wrote:
MungoMan wrote:
Blackrock Bullet wrote:

Not widely televised in civilised countries?

PostPosted: Mon Jan 27, 2020 1:44 pm 

I know bugger-all about BBall and the only time I watch it is when it’s on in a Sports bar and my wife is in the bog. Yet I somehow had heard of Kobe....weird.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 27, 2020 1:45 pm 

Sandstorm wrote:
I know bugger-all about BBall and the only time I watch it is when it’s on in a Sports bar and my wife is in the bog. Yet I somehow had heard of Kobe....weird.

The rape case was huge international news

PostPosted: Mon Jan 27, 2020 1:51 pm 

EverReady wrote:
Sandstorm wrote:

Now that part I'm 100% sure I never heard about.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 27, 2020 2:07 pm 

Sandstorm wrote:
EverReady wrote:
Sandstorm wrote:

Now that part I'm 100% sure I never heard about.

Probably somewhere deep in your head like the talk of an Olsen twins sex tape

PostPosted: Mon Jan 27, 2020 2:25 pm 

Sandstorm wrote:

I knew the name but if you'd pressed me I wouldn't actually have been able to tell you whether he was from basketball or American football (those being the two US sports whose stars tend to enter the consciousness in this part of the world).

Weird that people are getting narky because some others didn't know him.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 27, 2020 2:46 pm 

eldanielfire wrote:
Man In Black wrote:
Bogbunny wrote:
YOYO wrote:

My entire frame of reference for basketball is the early 90s, so Jordan, Pippin, Byrd, Johnson, Barkley, Ewing, Shaq, etc. I could barely identify three from the last twenty years, Bryant for the rape trial, James for being a petulant dickhead, and that Chinese fella.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 27, 2020 3:16 pm 

We used to watch the glory days of the Lakers - Celtic clashes in the mid 80s on Sunday mornings at school. Jack Nicholson courtside, Johnson, Bird, etc. I think what we were most fascinated by was Pat Riley. Looked like something out of a Glen Frey video - very different from the kind of guys wandering along the main street in New Plymouth. He must have had a great time that decade.

There's been some interesting analysis done on the right how sports stars in the US are becoming increasingly middle class (albeit a very rich middle class) as they are coming from dynastic families. Less people coming through from the ghettos - the fathers were the ones who did that. But sports talent is highly hereditary so you are getting these guys who are basically in the family for pro sports. Which is more professional, but less interesting.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 27, 2020 3:36 pm 

We used to watch the glory days of the Lakers - Celtic clashes in the mid 80s on Sunday mornings at school. Jack Nicholson courtside, Johnson, Bird, etc. I think what we were most fascinated by was Pat Riley. Looked like something out of a Glen Frey video - very different from the kind of guys wandering along the main street in New Plymouth. He must have had a great time that decade.

There's been some interesting analysis done on the right how sports stars in the US are becoming increasingly middle class (albeit a very rich middle class) as they are coming from dynastic families. Less people coming through from the ghettos - the fathers were the ones who did that. But sports talent is highly hereditary so you are getting these guys who are basically in the family for pro sports. Which is more professional, but less interesting.

While stars may have an all round set of skills. It is interesting in the analysis that so many of them are seen as mentally weaker and less determined to 'play hard' game in and game out in the regular season, in an era were the game is physically less rough and stars are certainly more protected.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 27, 2020 4:04 pm 

I thought it was Magic Johnson that had the wonky Chopper, not Kobe !

PostPosted: Mon Jan 27, 2020 4:20 pm 

Kobe's dad was a former NBA player, albeit not considered a good one. To give you an idea his nickname was "Jellybean" Bryant.

That statement would be more true in basketball than it is any other sport. There's only 360 NBA jobs, it's by far the smallest of the big four sports when it comes to roster size, and then of those 360 the guys that are considered super elite is maybe 10. The sport's nature makes it very individual-based and unless you're a phenomenal guard you need to be tall. You can be a little better than a stiff in contrast and make it in the league for being a 7-footer. And considering height is something you inherit and there's not much else you can do about it...it's why the Chinese national basketball program had their male team players marry their female team players.

Last edited by Flyin Ryan on Mon Jan 27, 2020 4:24 pm, edited 2 times in total.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 27, 2020 4:21 pm 

Hellraiser wrote:
eldanielfire wrote:
Man In Black wrote:
Bogbunny wrote:
YOYO wrote:

My entire frame of reference for basketball is the early 90s, so Jordan, Pippin, Byrd, Johnson, Barkley, Ewing, Shaq, etc. I could barely identify three from the last twenty years, Bryant for the rape trial, James for being a petulant dickhead, and that Chinese fella.

Chicago Bulls on NBA Jam.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 27, 2020 4:35 pm 

Flyin Ryan wrote:

Kobe's dad was a former NBA player, albeit not considered a good one. To give you an idea his nickname was "Jellybean" Bryant.

That statement would be more true in basketball than it is any other sport. There's only 360 NBA jobs, it's by far the smallest of the big four sports when it comes to roster size, and then of those 360 the guys that are considered super elite is maybe 10. The sport's nature makes it very individual-based and unless you're a phenomenal guard you need to be tall. You can be a little better than a stiff in contrast and make it in the league for being a 7-footer. And considering height is something you inherit and there's not much else you can do about it...it's why the Chinese national basketball program had their male team players marry their female team players.

I've seen a bit on the McCaffrey family: father of the boys a pro-bowl wide receiver and the mother a soccer player whose father got the silver medal at the 1960 Olympics in the 100m.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 27, 2020 4:57 pm 

backrow wrote:
I thought it was Magic Johnson that had the wonky Chopper, not Kobe !

I just want to let you know that this wasn’t lost in the “I know him better than you” chat going on.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 364 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 ... 10  Next