Chat Forum
It is currently Sun Dec 15, 2019 5:47 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 365 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 10  Next
PostPosted: Sun Nov 12, 2017 12:08 pm 

Chuckles1188 wrote:
bimboman wrote:
Chuckles1188 wrote:
This whole argument is predicated on the idea that there is some kind of scientific means of deploying the concept of "race", but there isn't. We don't, outside of actual science, base ideas on science. The only scientific thing that unites people native to Africa is being native to Africa, but because we've decided that "Africa" is a meaningful idea in its own right we desperately try to find some kind of scientific concept which unites people from it.

One can be culturally African, but culture isn't derived from science

Sorry, are you saying at groupings of humans that share physical similarities that we now know are shared DNA giving traits aren't real ?

You can argue that we shouldn't use the word "race" to group these but surly you're not denying that these groups and differences exist ?

What physical similarities define "Africans"?

Africa is a continent you tit. African Americans are for the most part Bantu, and that's what people are referring too. Also in Africa you have Nilotics, Khushites, Semities, San, and Europeans, etc.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 12, 2017 12:09 pm 

Seneca of the Night wrote:
Chuckles1188 wrote:
bimboman wrote:
Chuckles1188 wrote:
This whole argument is predicated on the idea that there is some kind of scientific means of deploying the concept of "race", but there isn't. We don't, outside of actual science, base ideas on science. The only scientific thing that unites people native to Africa is being native to Africa, but because we've decided that "Africa" is a meaningful idea in its own right we desperately try to find some kind of scientific concept which unites people from it.

Sorry, are you saying at groupings of humans that share physical similarities that we now know are shared DNA giving traits aren't real ?

You can argue that we shouldn't use the word "race" to group these but surly you're not denying that these groups and differences exist ?

Africa is a continent you tit. African Americans are for the most part Bantu, and that's what people are referring too. Also in Africa you have Nilotics, Khushites, Semities, San, and Europeans, etc.

You're making my point for me

PostPosted: Sun Nov 12, 2017 12:10 pm 

Give Michael Johnson a call:

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/culture/tvan ... eview.html

One of the great tragedies of our age is that an entire generation has been brainwashed into not noticing what is right in front of their eyes. It's been a mighty trick, one that to me is incomprehensible, but there you go, and we have our very own representative on this bored.

I've genuinely had flat earthers say basically the same thing to me as far as "brainwashed into not noticing what is right in front of their eyes" goes

PostPosted: Sun Nov 12, 2017 12:10 pm 

Chuckles1188 wrote:
Mick Mannock wrote:
Chuckles1188 wrote:
Quote:

I'd prefer we stop using it at all, but as bimbo is aptly demonstrating that's an unwinnable battle so let's at least be inclusive about it

So your way of being inclusive is to say there is just one race?

To go down that route, accusations of racism would cease to have any meaning, and discrimination would have to be addressed differently.

Sounds worth a punt, right?

And that's what is being pushed. The definition of racism is now stretched to include anyone who believes there are any differences between groups of humans. Try telling a Serb he is the same as an Albanian and you'll get a long way in a bar in Kotor. And that's just real minor stuff.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 12, 2017 12:11 pm 

[quote="Chuckles1188"][quote="Mick Mannock"][quote="Seneca of the Night"][quote="Chuckles1188"].[quote]

I'd prefer we stop using it at all, but as bimbo is aptly demonstrating that's an unwinnable battle so let's at least be inclusive about it[/quote][/quote]

So your way of being inclusive is to say there is just one race?[/quote]
To go down that route, accusations of racism would cease to have any meaning, and discrimination would have to be addressed differently.[/quote]

Sounds worth a punt, right?[/quote] It might be. However we might have to start by reducing the number of groupings who some believe are a race. Muslims for example.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 12, 2017 12:11 pm 

Chuckles1188 wrote:
Chuckles1188 wrote:
bimboman wrote:
Chuckles1188 wrote:

You're making my point for me

No, you're playing silly games conflating two entirely different things.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 12, 2017 12:12 pm 

Which suggests that appealing to science when trying to understand human behaviour is a fool's errand.

So.

Let's ask again - why is "Muslim" not a race?

PostPosted: Sun Nov 12, 2017 12:13 pm 

Mick Mannock wrote:
It might be. However we might have to start by reducing the number of groupings who some believe are a race. Muslims for example.

Am I compelled to start there? Couldn't I start with "white" instead?

Chuckles1188 wrote:
bimboman wrote:
Chuckles1188 wrote:

Sorry , do I need to split into sub saharans , North African etc and give the obvious traits? You know full well what I mean and pedantry is an odd route to go post your declaration of words and meanings being the users choice.

I can of course give descriptions, and biologists and geneticists can go much further. I'm all for their being "no race" then of course you'd have to agree "Muslim" isn't a race.

You've got me and bimboman confused

PostPosted: Sun Nov 12, 2017 12:14 pm 

Chuckles1188 wrote:

One of the great tragedies of our age is that an entire generation has been brainwashed into not noticing what is right in front of their eyes. It's been a mighty trick, one that to me is incomprehensible, but there you go, and we have our very own representative on this bored.

I've genuinely had flat earthers say basically the same thing to me as far as "brainwashed into not noticing what is right in front of their eyes" goes

I've never met a flt earther. But on a clear day with binoculars you can see the masts of shops over the horizon before their bulk. Or the tips of mountains and not their base. Or the curvature of the earth from a tall mountain.

So they'd have to be reaching to deny the evidence of their eyes. However, stick a six year old child in a room with a Somalian, an Icelander, and a Korean, and ask them if they notice anything, and they will.

bimboman wrote:
Chuckles1188 wrote:
bimboman wrote:
Chuckles1188 wrote:

Sorry , do I need to split into sub saharans , North African etc and give the obvious traits? You know full well what I mean and pedantry is an odd route to go post your declaration of words and meanings being the users choice.

I can of course give descriptions, and biologists and geneticists can go much further. I'm all for their being "no race" then of course you'd have to agree "Muslim" isn't a race.

I'm fine with saying Muslim isn't a race on the condition that simultaneously we say that "white" and "black" aren't races, and don't treat people differently on the basis of their membership of those groups. Which means changing society pretty radically.

Is it kind of arguing semantics here.
Whether the bloke was being a racist or a bigot (he told Datsiyari to go back to Uran so he was definitely being racist there) is kind of beyond the point. He was being a wanker and should be called on it. Thankfully he has been.

Saying Muslims arent a race so he wasnt racist is a plain and sime deflecrion of what is going on.

Chuckles1188 wrote:
Mick Mannock wrote:
It might be. However we might have to start by reducing the number of groupings who some believe are a race. Muslims for example.

Am I compelled to start there? Couldn't I start with "white" instead?

Start where you like. Will you be finished by lunchtime?

PostPosted: Sun Nov 12, 2017 12:15 pm 

Chuckles1188 wrote:

I've never met a flt earther. But on a clear day with binoculars you can see the masts of shops over the horizon before their bulk. Or the tips of mountains and not their base. Or the curvature of the earth from a tall mountain.

So they'd have to be reaching to deny the evidence of their eyes. However, stick a six year old child in a room with a Somalian, an Icelander, and a Korean, and ask them if they notice anything, and they will.

Stick a six year old child in a room with a Ghanaian, a Kenyan and a Swaziland native and they will notice something. But it could very well be the wrong thing.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 12, 2017 12:16 pm 

Farva wrote:
Whether the bloke was being a racist or a bigot (he told Datsiyari to go back to Uran so he was definitely being racist there) is kind of beyond the point. He was being a wanker and should be called on it. Thankfully he has been.

Saying Muslims arent a race so he wasnt racist is a plain and sime deflecrion of what is going on.

This

PostPosted: Sun Nov 12, 2017 12:16 pm 

Chuckles1188 wrote:

I haven't. You've argued this before, and so have a few others. I've read a few books arguing the non-existence of 'race' or whatever you want to call it, and indeed, even the UN have declared that it doesn't exist. It is the very definition of stupidity, and most anthropoligical schools should be immediately closed down.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 12, 2017 12:18 pm 

Chuckles1188 wrote:

I haven't. You've argued this before, and so have a few others. I've read a few books arguing the non-existence of 'race' or whatever you want to call it, and indeed, even the UN have declared that it doesn't exist. It is the very definition of stupidity, and most anthropoligical schools should be immediately closed down.

Something something slabs of sweeping generalisations slamming down on my head or some bullshit.

And yeah, "Africa is a continent not a unified area which can be used to predict biological traits" is my point, raised in response to bimbo's attempt to paint my position as ridiculous because of Sickle Cell Disease. You are making my point for me

Last edited by Chuckles1188 on Sun Nov 12, 2017 12:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 12, 2017 12:18 pm 

Chuckles1188 wrote:
Farva wrote:

This

No one disagrees with that. I've read up on the MP. Patently an A grade fckwit. Of the kind I take an immediate and intense dislike to. But the mgmt should have thrown those guys out immediately for harrassment alone. Let alone the clearly bigoted and racist stuff they went on with.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 12, 2017 12:20 pm 

Isn't Africa the most genetically diverse continent?

PostPosted: Sun Nov 12, 2017 12:21 pm 

Chuckles1188 wrote:
Which suggests that appealing to science when trying to understand human behaviour is a fool's errand.

So.

Because however everybody and everything else in the world chooses to define race bar you and that mental American women who decided she was "black" race has little or not element of choice attached to it, whether it is used as a biological reference word or geographical and cultural.

Muslim is a choice of belief and cannot be construed as anything else except by wilful stupidity.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 12, 2017 12:21 pm 

Chuckles1188 wrote:
bimboman wrote:
Chuckles1188 wrote:
bimboman wrote:
Chuckles1188 wrote:

I'm fine with saying Muslim isn't a race on the condition that simultaneously we say that "white" and "black" aren't races, and don't treat people differently on the basis of their membership of those groups. Which means changing society pretty radically.

Who on earth says there is a 'white' race and a 'black' race???

PostPosted: Sun Nov 12, 2017 12:22 pm 

JM2K6 wrote:
Isn't Africa the most genetically diverse continent?

By miles and miles and miles.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 12, 2017 12:23 pm 

Chuckles1188 wrote:
Chuckles1188 wrote:

Something something slabs of sweeping generalisations slamming down on my head or some bullshit.

And yeah, "Africa is a continent not a unified area which can be used to predict biological traits" is my point, raised in response to bimbo's attempt to paint my position as ridiculous because of Sickle Cell Disease. You are making my point for me

You knew what I meant by African when I used it, to fall back on pedantry of not using "sub Saharan" in my analogy is amazing consider you've unilaterally decided the term "race" is up to the user to define.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 12, 2017 12:23 pm 

bimboman wrote:
Chuckles1188 wrote:

So.

Because however everybody and everything else in the world chooses to define race bar you and that mental American women who decided she was "black" race has little or not element of choice attached to it, whether it is used as a biological reference word or geographical and cultural.

Muslim is a choice of belief and cannot be construed as anything else except by wilful stupidity.

Rachel Dolezal was doing a fantastic job of demonstrating that there are a number of elements of race which are a choice until her parents weighed in, at which point the large number of people like you who think race is not a choice decided she was lying.

Seneca: Richard Spencer for one

PostPosted: Sun Nov 12, 2017 12:24 pm 

bimboman wrote:
Chuckles1188 wrote:
Chuckles1188 wrote:

You knew what I meant by African when I used it, to fall back on pedantry of not using "sub Saharan" in my analogy is amazing consider you've unilaterally decided the term "race" is up to the user to define.

No, bimbo, I honestly didn't know what you meant. And I'm genuinely curious to know whether you actually knew what you meant well enough to describe it. "Sub-Saharan" isn't a particularly meaningful scientific distinction either.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 12, 2017 12:24 pm 

Chuckles1188 wrote:
Farva wrote:

This

Sorry , you are claiming Muslim is a race and totally disagree with Farva, but as you were.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 12, 2017 12:26 pm 

bimboman wrote:
Chuckles1188 wrote:
Farva wrote:

This

Sorry , you are claiming Muslim is a race and totally disagree with Farva, but as you were.

I'm agreeing with him entirely. The question of whether the man was being treated in a bigoted and unacceptable fashion of the kind which we generally describe as "racism" does not hinge on whether being Muslim or a member of a "race" is a choice

PostPosted: Sun Nov 12, 2017 12:28 pm 

Until people start using "religionist" to mean prejudiced against adherents of a religious faith, the reality is that "racist" is really the only word we have to describe the concept

PostPosted: Sun Nov 12, 2017 12:31 pm 

Quote:
No, bimbo, I honestly didn't know what you meant. And I'm genuinely curious to know whether you actually knew what you meant well enough to describe it. "Sub-Saharan" isn't a particularly meaningful scientific distinction either.

It can affect people from Arabia as well. But it's prevelance is a large block of Africa. Any ways you've reduced any argument about Muslim being a race (for which you've actually made no argument for really other than to redefine any common use of the word race) to a generisation about sickle cell illness.

You're not genuinly curious at all.

Chuckles1188 wrote:
bimboman wrote:
Chuckles1188 wrote:

So.

Rachel Dolezal was doing a fantastic job of demonstrating that there are a number of elements of race which are a choice until her parents weighed in, at which point the large number of people like you who think race is not a choice decided she was lying.

I can't speak for Richard Spencer, but I'd be surprised if he had such a simplistic view of race given that he is actually a racist and takes this stuff reasonably seriously. I would have thought (speculation) that he'd be thinking European, and north-west European in particular, and have more than a passing familiarty with the Hajnal Line.

Quote:

It can affect people from Arabia as well. But it's prevelance is a large block of Africa. Any ways you've reduced any argument about Muslim being a race (for which you've actually made no argument for really other than to redefine any common use of the word race) to a generisation about sickle cell illness.

You're not genuinly curious at all.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 12, 2017 12:33 pm 

Chuckles1188 wrote:
Until people start using "religionist" to mean prejudiced against adherents of a religious faith, the reality is that "racist" is really the only word we have to describe the concept

Islamophobe seems to work pretty well for those who wish to rant about that stuff.

Anti-Dentite for those prejudiced against Dentists.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 12, 2017 12:33 pm 

Chuckles1188 wrote:
bimboman wrote:
Chuckles1188 wrote:
Farva wrote:

This

I'm agreeing with him entirely. The question of whether the man was being treated in a bigoted and unacceptable fashion of the kind which we generally describe as "racism" does not hinge on whether being Muslim or a member of a "race" is a choice

No you asked why Muslim isn't a race, if your point was racism is an acceptable word for general bigotry that would have been the point you made.

You didn't you asked and argued about whether Muslim was a race.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 12, 2017 12:34 pm 

Given 'race' has no scientific meaning and is a social construct I'm plumping for Kiwi expat for the answer and any twat who wants to argue otherwise is just trying to oppress me.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 12, 2017 12:39 pm 

Chuckles1188 wrote:
bimboman wrote:
Chuckles1188 wrote:

So.

Don't state what I do or don't believe . You don't know what I believe. Anything I've said here has been about common acceptability of word use and choices of description. If you think someone's colour and appearance is a choice that person has made then I've a spiritual church for you to attend.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 12, 2017 12:40 pm 

Quite a good clip here on Africa's varying groups:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_e ... _of_Africa

PostPosted: Sun Nov 12, 2017 12:41 pm 

Chuckles1188 wrote:

Islamophobe seems to work pretty well for those who wish to rant about that stuff.

On this basis the writer and producers of the "book of Mormon" should be sent to prison.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 12, 2017 12:49 pm 

Sefton wrote:
Given 'race' has no scientific meaning and is a social construct I'm plumping for Kiwi expat for the answer and any twat who wants to argue otherwise is just trying to oppress me.

Another one of your highly useful interventions. Thanks for your input.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 12, 2017 12:50 pm 

bimboman wrote:
Chuckles1188 wrote:

On this basis the writer and producers of the "book of Mormon" should be sent to prison.

The Mormons handled that with remarkable good humour.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 365 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 10  Next