Chat Forum
It is currently Mon Oct 22, 2018 12:38 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 2218 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30 ... 56  Next
PostPosted: Sat Dec 30, 2017 3:24 am 

derriz wrote:
dam0 wrote:
My interest in XRP has come partly from my massively gain and partly because I understand it is being looked at seriously by banks as a cheaper and faster replacement for the SWIFT system. Lets see if it pans out, but for now I am enjoying the ride.

I think you misunderstand the banks' interest in distributed ledger technology. The idea is to use it for clearing/settlement which occurs after SWIFT's involvement in a transfer - which is slow currently if the source and destination bank aren't linked in a common payments body. I'm fairly sure that many proposals in this area are being considered and will be developed - it's an obvious application of distributed ledger technology - but I can guarantee that they will not use any current crytocurrency for the purpose. Why would they? They'll develop a distributed ledger suitable for purpose - i.e. one denominated in real currencies.

Well let's just wait and see. You may be right, but you also sound a lot more confident about what will happen than perhaps you ought to be.

All I really know is that my USD3k punt is now worth about USD30k and it seems to be rising every time I look.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 30, 2017 8:09 am 

derriz wrote:
dam0 wrote:
My interest in XRP has come partly from my massively gain and partly because I understand it is being looked at seriously by banks as a cheaper and faster replacement for the SWIFT system. Lets see if it pans out, but for now I am enjoying the ride.

I think you misunderstand the banks' interest in distributed ledger technology. The idea is to use it for clearing/settlement which occurs after SWIFT's involvement in a transfer - which is slow currently if the source and destination bank aren't linked in a common payments body. I'm fairly sure that many proposals in this area are being considered and will be developed - it's an obvious application of distributed ledger technology - but I can guarantee that they will not use any current crytocurrency for the purpose. Why would they? They'll develop a distributed ledger suitable for purpose - i.e. one denominated in real currencies.

You can't guarantee that though, can you? Have you seen which banks have signed up with Ripple?

PostPosted: Sat Dec 30, 2017 10:25 am 

Banks should be able to profit hugely from crypto currencies, to my limited understanding. If they use their wits.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 30, 2017 10:38 am 

Swapped out of a lot of alt coins into XRP last night. :smug: Swapped back today with lots of XRP to spare(some of the alts I held had dropped) and took $7k out for hard profits. May go up more but happy to take the money and run.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 30, 2017 10:50 am 

I'm beginning to see thus as a huge wealth transfer back to the West from China, South Korea and South America.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 30, 2017 11:28 am 

Are the exchainges taking a flogging today? I have two transactions that have been sitting on BTCmarkets "processing" most of the day, one BTC one Ripple.

Binance have disabled withdrawls of IOTA and Ripple.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 30, 2017 11:47 am 

Wilson's Toffee wrote:
Banks should be able to profit hugely from crypto currencies, to my limited understanding. If they use their wits.

And therein lies the rub.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 30, 2017 12:47 pm 

Harveys wrote:
Are the exchainges taking a flogging today? I have two transactions that have been sitting on BTCmarkets "processing" most of the day, one BTC one Ripple.

Coinbase has been processing an LTC transfer for over 2 hours. Confirming transactions is a clusterfuck anytime they come under pressure from volumes. I doubt any current coins could be used for global transactions as is.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 30, 2017 12:50 pm 

kiwinoz wrote:
Harveys wrote:

Coinbase has been processing an LTC transfer for over 2 hours. Confirming transactions is a clusterfuck anytime they come under pressure from volumes. I doubt any current coins could be used for global transactions as is.

Can you tell me how the exchanges work? Does an exchange trade in all possible coins of a certain type (e.g. all Bitcoins) or against some local allocation of the global coin population?

Last edited by Santa on Sat Dec 30, 2017 12:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 30, 2017 12:55 pm 

told you but you did not care

PostPosted: Sat Dec 30, 2017 6:56 pm 

kiwinoz wrote:
Harveys wrote:

RaiBlocks potentially could, with the caveat that their tech hasn't been tested at that scale in a real world setting.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 02, 2018 3:50 am 

goeagles wrote:
goeagles wrote:
saffer13 wrote:
Ok I read the first two pages....now that Ethereum is already around $700 I missed that boat at the start of the year as well it seems. So what's the next $1 biggie coming? I'll pay a 5% "finders fee" to the person bringing me unlimited wealth. :thumbup:

Caveat: only risk what you're willing to lose. I'd take a look at Factom and RaiBlocks.

RaiBlocks was like $2.75 when this post was made 10 days ago. Now sitting at $13 and it's not even on any major exchanges yet. The tech is really awesome here. Basically instant, zero fees and negligible energy consumption. They claim the network can do 7k transactions per second. That claim will be tested as it scales, but I made a couple test transfers the other day and they were instant and zero fee.

Posted initially on 18th Dec.

Its now $24 and still on shitty crappy exchanges. Trying to deal with bitgrail and its a major PIA. But enough whinging - you suggested Riablocks at $2.75 and within a month its $24.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 02, 2018 4:59 am 

kiwinoz wrote:
goeagles wrote:
goeagles wrote:
saffer13 wrote:
Ok I read the first two pages....now that Ethereum is already around $700 I missed that boat at the start of the year as well it seems. So what's the next $1 biggie coming? I'll pay a 5% "finders fee" to the person bringing me unlimited wealth. :thumbup:

Caveat: only risk what you're willing to lose. I'd take a look at Factom and RaiBlocks.

RaiBlocks was like $2.75 when this post was made 10 days ago. Now sitting at $13 and it's not even on any major exchanges yet. The tech is really awesome here. Basically instant, zero fees and negligible energy consumption. They claim the network can do 7k transactions per second. That claim will be tested as it scales, but I made a couple test transfers the other day and they were instant and zero fee.

Its now $24 and still on shitty crappy exchanges. Trying to deal with bitgrail and its a major PIA. But enough whinging - you suggested Riablocks at $2.75 and within a month its $24.

Cheers. Hope you got some. It's probably going to get added to Binance and some other bigger exchanges in the next few months. Factom hasn't done quite as well but is still up over 50% in that time frame. It still has a lot of growth potential IMO and I'm probably going to sell some LTC to buy more.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 02, 2018 9:20 am 

I see that there’s been a fatwa issued against Bitcoin.

http://www.egyptindependent.com/egypts- ... den-islam/

PostPosted: Tue Jan 02, 2018 11:32 am 

zt1903 wrote:
I see that there’s been a fatwa issued against Bitcoin.

http://www.egyptindependent.com/egypts- ... den-islam/

Yet another reason to buy :smug:

PostPosted: Wed Jan 03, 2018 10:50 pm 

goeagles wrote:
kiwinoz wrote:
goeagles wrote:
goeagles wrote:
saffer13 wrote:

Cheers. Hope you got some. It's probably going to get added to Binance and some other bigger exchanges in the next few months. Factom hasn't done quite as well but is still up over 50% in that time frame. It still has a lot of growth potential IMO and I'm probably going to sell some LTC to buy more.

It will likely get added to binance very soon judging by the results of the binance voting so far. https://www.binance.com/vote.html

I would also recommend storm tokens, it's been live just over a week and I'm up 200%. They are only on hit BTC so far but one of their main advisors is the ceo of a major exchange

PostPosted: Wed Jan 03, 2018 11:14 pm 

Ended up pulling my BTC back from Bitgrail as their support is shit and somehow I couldn't trade because of a 2FA issue. So no XRB for me yet . That said I am doing well on XRP, ADA et al.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 04, 2018 3:37 am 

kiwinoz wrote:
Ended up pulling my BTC back from Bitgrail as their support is shit and somehow I couldn't trade because of a 2FA issue. So no XRB for me yet . That said I am doing well on XRP, ADA et al.

The issues they were experiencing yesterday have been fixed, I bought last night. Xrb is correcting so could be a good time to buy?

PostPosted: Thu Jan 04, 2018 5:53 pm 

XRB added to Bit-Z exchange starting tomorrow. Kucoin and probably Binance later this month. Back in the real world, it sounds like Cupp Bubble Tea in Bristol is going to start accepting it as payment: https://twitter.com/cuppbubbletea/statu ... 1894259712

Any UK boredies want to check it out once they have it up and running as a payment option? I'll send someone enough for a cup.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 04, 2018 6:00 pm 

Ripple had a nice few days :thumbup:
OT but decided to start shorting the S&P again, and going long the VIX

PostPosted: Thu Jan 04, 2018 6:18 pm 

Cartman wrote:
Ripple had a nice few days :thumbup:
OT but decided to start shorting the S&P again, and going long the VIX

Cracking few days. It's going to see $3.50. To think I was buying it at $0.06 at one stage I held around 100k :(

PostPosted: Thu Jan 04, 2018 6:21 pm 

I see Chris Larsen is now worth $55bn.

And the notorious Zoe Cruz is on the board.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 04, 2018 6:31 pm 

Ripple is almost certainly a bubble at this point. I sold all of mine at around $2.00.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 04, 2018 6:50 pm 

XRP is likely to be on Coinbase soon if various videos of beta testing is to be believed. That may push it even higher.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 04, 2018 7:07 pm 

I would get into storm tokens whilst they are cheap, when it's listed on bitrex it will add far more volume and price. It's done pretty well even though it's only on HitBTC and coinrail so far. Up to 8p a token, I can see this going up to a £1 a token in the next 6 months

PostPosted: Thu Jan 04, 2018 7:11 pm 

goeagles wrote:
Ripple is almost certainly a bubble at this point. I sold all of mine at around $2.00.

Not convinced. Ripple isn't a cryptocurrency but a more traditional form of technology to assist cross border settlements through banks. I look at it as more of a classic 'stock'. I see short term $3.90 and possibly as much as $5.00 longer as a potential. I'm hodling a portion of mine.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 04, 2018 7:12 pm 

Seneca of the Night wrote:

How you holding up there SON, me ole mucker? What have you bought into recently? Give us the lowdown.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 04, 2018 7:16 pm 

sorCrer wrote:

How you holding up there SON, me ole mucker? What have you bought into recently? Give us the lowdown.

"Holding up there" :lol: , why would he be ?

PostPosted: Thu Jan 04, 2018 7:31 pm 

kiwinoz wrote:
XRP is likely to be on Coinbase soon if various videos of beta testing is to be believed. That may push it even higher.

Almost certain to be added to Coinbase and that's definitely what is driving the price up. But long term? I don't see it.

sorCrer wrote:
goeagles wrote:

Not convinced. Ripple isn't a cryptocurrency but a more traditional form of technology to assist cross border settlements through banks. I look at it as more of a classic 'stock'. I see short term $3.90 and possibly as much as $5.00 longer as a potential. I'm hodling a portion of mine.

My understanding is that banks either don't need to hold any XRP or only need to hold a negligible amount in order to use the Ripple protocol. How many people buying Ripple even know that?

PostPosted: Thu Jan 04, 2018 7:50 pm 

bimboman wrote:
sorCrer wrote:

"Holding up there" :lol: , why would he be ?

This is now strictly a spectator sport for sure.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 04, 2018 9:45 pm 

And Ripple labs worth 225 bill.

I am actually dizzy at the stupidity of this. Can everyone please familiarise themselves with Ripple governance, the use case of XRP, the relationship between these big time banks and XRP and the continued ownership holding of XRP before putting another cent in.

Look if people are riding sentiment and looking for the next pump then cool I've done it myself a hundred times. But if you are holding under the impression that XRP (NOT RIPPLE, XRP) become worthy of these valuations then you are a bagholder and deserve the pain coming your way.

THIS IS INSANITY

PostPosted: Thu Jan 04, 2018 9:56 pm 

RaiBlocks (soon to be re-branded as Nano, meh) now trading on Kucoin: https://www.kucoin.com/#/trade.pro/XRB-BTC

PostPosted: Thu Jan 04, 2018 10:13 pm 

copied from Facebook:

Quote:
A long long time ago, there was this bustling village, on a beautiful Caribbean island, called Dopeyville.

Sure it was far away from the mainlands, away from most of the action, but it still had decent burger joints, coffee cafes not owned by global chains, and you could get tasty homebrew beers in its rough-and-tumble bars. In short, life in Dopeyville was simple, yet great.

What’s more, it’s got one big claim to fame: The place was well-known for its boatloads of monkeys. Enough monkeys to make them a commodity as common as wheat.

One day, a merchant came to the village. He found an abandoned building — it would take capital to fix, but the walls were firm and the roof only needed a patch. Gutted and redone it, he made it his place.

Anyway, he then posted an announcement.

“Buying monkeys. $50 each.”

The news left the villagers flabbergasted. Why would he want those useless monkeys? What is he thinking?

Of course, some villagers still caught the monkeys and sold them to the merchant for $50 each.

A few days later, the merchant announced that he would buy the monkeys at $100 each.

So the villagers — and even more villagers — caught more monkeys and sold them to the merchant.

And when the merchant announced that he would buy the monkeys at $200 each, the villagers went out of control. Day in, day out, they cared for nothing else but catching monkeys. Every monkey was a jackpot win.

Until there were almost no more monkeys to be found on the island.

The villagers wondered if there would be another announcement. They expected there would be.

And it came.

“I will be heading back to my hometown for a week,” the merchant declared. “And when I return, I will buy every monkey at $1000 each.”

And an employee was tasked to look after the monkeys he had bought. With that, the merchant went home.

But there’s one hitch. There weren’t any more stray monkeys left to be caught.

The villagers were dumbfounded. At a loss. Then exasperated.

That was, of course, until the merchant’s employee proposed to sell the villages some monkeys at $700 each, secretly.

Not exactly what they needed. But nonetheless, reasonable it seemed. A tidy profit of $300 with each monkey sold at $1000. Deal.

This news spread through the village like wildfire. Everyone wanted a piece of the pie. The wealthy bought the monkeys in big lots. The poor borrowed all the money they could to buy the monkeys.

The monkeys were sold out within a day.

Then it happened.

The night was warm. The skies threatened rain but never opened.

The villagers were gathered at the merchant’s house. They felt pumped, excited. Every fibre of their being was vibrating with anticipation. This was the moment. Any minute now the merchant would pull up, with fat wads of cash in his hands, ready to proceed with the promised deal.

A month passed.

The merchant didn’t appear. And his employee had disappeared.

The villagers were left with nothing. Nothing, but monkeys. Useless monkeys that they had bought for $700 each.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 04, 2018 10:20 pm 

Booom :nod:

PostPosted: Thu Jan 04, 2018 10:22 pm 

Did it need to be so long

PostPosted: Fri Jan 05, 2018 12:50 am 

We are at best at $10/$20 monkeys. Between work and friends I could name the people who have bought cryptos on one hand. Maybe elsewhere its different but we are not bubbling yet based on demand.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 05, 2018 7:48 am 

XRP had a bit of a 'correction' and is now trading around the 2.60-2.70 range. This is a response to the release by coinbase that they 'haven't decided' whether to add XRP yet. I bought some more at 2.60, because I think the announcement said almost nothing of value (and was just a prudent release from a responsible exchange)

Considering I bought most at an average price of .38 it's still doing well, but I am now a bit worried I have over extended on XRP. What do the gurus here think? Time to consolidate back into ETH, LTC, BTC and BCH, or just ride XRP to boom (or bust)?

Thoughts Sorcer??

PostPosted: Fri Jan 05, 2018 8:26 am 

dam0 wrote:
XRP had a bit of a 'correction' and is now trading around the 2.60-2.70 range. This is a response to the release by coinbase that they 'haven't decided' whether to add XRP yet. I bought some more at 2.60, because I think the announcement said almost nothing of value (and was just a prudent release from a responsible exchange)

Considering I bought most at an average price of .38 it's still doing well, but I am now a bit worried I have over extended on XRP. What do the gurus here think? Time to consolidate back into ETH, LTC, BTC and BCH, or just ride XRP to boom (or bust)?

Thoughts Sorcer??

XRP started the year on 6 exchanges and is now listed on 50 (https://ripple.com/insights/xrp-now-ava ... worldwide/) Coinbase will absolutely have to list it although in my view Coinbase are a little devious as shown in their dealings with BCH. Their CEO statement was simply: “Any statement to the contrary is untrue and not authorized by the company”. If they pull the same stunt, expect a sudden listing with disruption but price increase. Watching it on 1 minute candles you can see the interest over the last few hours.

In my view, Ripple has a solid business which is carefully and well run and employs over 100 people. It has also got millions of dollars in Venture capital and has been around for some time.

Some Koolaid: https://ripple.com/insights/10-things-need-know-xrp/

PostPosted: Fri Jan 05, 2018 8:44 am 

dam0 wrote:
I bought some more at 2.60

Getting out on these now will realise 12% in a few hours. :shock: Although there is a sizeable sell wall at 295.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 05, 2018 9:03 am 

Coinbase won't be adding anything until they have more capacity/staff they can't handle incoming and outgoing wires and even BTCtransfers are taking hours to go on to the block chain while they get BTCs out of cold storage.

Binance and Bittrex also struggling and have closed signups for now. Everyone still trying to get in on the goldrush.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 2218 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30 ... 56  Next