Chat Forum
It is currently Tue Dec 11, 2018 12:42 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1195 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12 ... 30  Next

Who is going to win?
England 65%  65%  [ 61 ]
Wales 23%  23%  [ 22 ]
Gav 12%  12%  [ 11 ]
Total votes : 94
PostPosted: Fri Feb 09, 2018 12:19 pm 

GWO2 wrote:
Kid A wrote:
Saturnine wrote:
Nothing wrong with wanting to know a try has been legitimately scored. I'm sure the Turks wouldn't have wanted to win if the try wasn't legal. It's not going to stop a genuine try, just remove all the post match whinging if a poor decision is made.

Agreed. But trying to prevent the match from going ahead is taking it a stage further. Unfortunately, the tv coverage didn't show it as they were showing replays of the try but the rest of the Ospreys team were behind the posts - AWJ and Biggar were infront of the ball, harranguing the referee making TMO signs trying to stop Patchell(?) take the conversion.

I realize Eddie's motives on this. But he is not wrong.

Which part of "you can not check if a try is legally awarded or not, once a conversion has been taken"? To me, a team rushing to take a conversion, shows that they might have some doubt about it`s authenticity.

I don't think he was rushing to take it. AWJ was made to look a total lazy mug by Horne, and that probably upset him. As it should.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 09, 2018 12:22 pm 

Mick Mannock wrote:
GWO2 wrote:
Kid A wrote:
Saturnine wrote:
Nothing wrong with wanting to know a try has been legitimately scored. I'm sure the Turks wouldn't have wanted to win if the try wasn't legal. It's not going to stop a genuine try, just remove all the post match whinging if a poor decision is made.

Agreed. But trying to prevent the match from going ahead is taking it a stage further. Unfortunately, the tv coverage didn't show it as they were showing replays of the try but the rest of the Ospreys team were behind the posts - AWJ and Biggar were infront of the ball, harranguing the referee making TMO signs trying to stop Patchell(?) take the conversion.

Which part of "you can not check if a try is legally awarded or not, once a conversion has been taken"? To me, a team rushing to take a conversion, shows that they might have some doubt about it`s authenticity.

I don't think he was rushing to take it. AWJ was made to look a total lazy mug by Horne, and that probably upset him. As it should.

AWJ is many things. Lazy isn't one of them.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 09, 2018 12:25 pm 

Nieghorn wrote:
Sissyfuss wrote:
Edward Jones should take a long hard look at himself in the mirror.

If this man is let anywhere near the Lions job I will be absolutely seething. He is a boorish oik he has no understanding of rugger ethos.

Um, Gatland ... ???

Clive Woodward?

EJ will come a cropper at some point, we all do and he has done in previous lifetimes. However he is tremendously good value and if Bomber had had his self-confidence....

PostPosted: Fri Feb 09, 2018 12:26 pm 

Kid A wrote:
Mick Mannock wrote:
GWO2 wrote:
Kid A wrote:
Saturnine wrote:

AWJ is many things. Lazy isn't one of them.

I might have been harsh. AWJ still was made to look a mug though.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 09, 2018 12:31 pm 

Anyway I predict a 10 point England win. AWJ to get sin binned.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 09, 2018 12:42 pm 

Nieghorn wrote:
Sissyfuss wrote:

If this man is let anywhere near the Lions job I will be absolutely seething. He is a boorish oik he has no understanding of rugger ethos.

Um, Gatland ... ???

Quote:
"Dylan Hartley always seems to have a lot to say for himself, but we will see what he's got next week. Some of what he said was responsible for Richie Rees being banned for a lengthy period, yet he wasn't prepared to step outside with Gareth Williams when he was invited to do so. So we'll see how he fronts up on February 4.

I saw him go to pieces at Leicester a few weeks ago and again on Saturday night. It just shows people can crack under pressure. It's another case of a Kiwi choking on the big occasion.

They don't have a particularly mobile front row. Dan Cole is good off the bench for Leicester after Martin Castrogiovanni has done a job.

Spoilt for choice really

PostPosted: Fri Feb 09, 2018 12:44 pm 

Quote:
It's another case of a Kiwi choking on the big occasion

Did Gatland really say that :lol: :lol:

PostPosted: Fri Feb 09, 2018 12:47 pm 

matta25 wrote:
Quote:
"Dylan Hartley always seems to have a lot to say for himself, but we will see what he's got next week. Some of what he said was responsible for Richie Rees being banned for a lengthy period, yet he wasn't prepared to step outside with Gareth Williams when he was invited to do so. So we'll see how he fronts up on February 4.

I saw him go to pieces at Leicester a few weeks ago and again on Saturday night. It just shows people can crack under pressure. It's another case of a Kiwi choking on the big occasion.

They don't have a particularly mobile front row. Dan Cole is good off the bench for Leicester after Martin Castrogiovanni has done a job.

Spoilt for choice really

And the result was..... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dt2r7jIU8Gs

Tindall was Captain!

PostPosted: Fri Feb 09, 2018 12:47 pm 

I think that Jones’ choice of sledge material is a little unfortunate given that Gatland might just remind Jones why Joseph didn’t make a lions test side. Also, Remind me what happened when Patchell went up against Joseph a couple of weeks back....?

PostPosted: Fri Feb 09, 2018 12:51 pm 

cubby boi wrote:
I think that Jones’ choice of sledge material is a little unfortunate given that Gatland might just remind Jones why Joseph didn’t make a lions test side. Also, Remind me what happened when Patchell went up against Joseph a couple of weeks back....?

You are very keen on reminders.

Why not just write the points you are trying to make?

PostPosted: Fri Feb 09, 2018 1:02 pm 

Liam Williams starting for Sarries :?

PostPosted: Fri Feb 09, 2018 1:07 pm 

matta25 wrote:
Nieghorn wrote:
Sissyfuss wrote:

Um, Gatland ... ???

Quote:

Spoilt for choice really

You're usually (and rightly) foaming at the mouth when Gatland shoots his mouth off. I'm disappointed (but totally unsurprised) that you don't hold Eddie to the same standards you judge Warren by.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 09, 2018 1:13 pm 

Plastic Sarrie wrote:

Good stuff.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 09, 2018 1:14 pm 

Looks like it’s going to be played in a complete downpour.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 09, 2018 1:16 pm 

It's obvious Jones is using his comments to raise the stakes. Everything he is doing is preparing England for the World Cup. He sees Wales are in great form, he knows Gats is coming hard he knows half the teams int he world will motivate themselves by saying "it's f**king England" so he want's the stakes upped like how a world cup match would be. Where as some see him trolling, he just sees opportunity to put his player in a situation close to the world cup high pressure stakes atmosphere.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 09, 2018 1:17 pm 

eldanielfire wrote:
It's obvious Jones is using his comments to raise the stakes. Everything he is doing is preparing England for the World Cup. He sees Wales are in great form, he knows Gats is coming hard he knows half the teams int he world will motivate themselves by saying "it's f**king England" so he want's the stakes upped like how a world cup match would be. Where as some see him trolling, he just sees opportunity to put his player in a situation close to the world cup high pressure stakes atmosphere.

4D Chess!

PostPosted: Fri Feb 09, 2018 1:19 pm 

Mahoney wrote:

Rather disappointing.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 09, 2018 1:20 pm 

Plastic Sarrie wrote:

So tell us what the :? Is for then?

PostPosted: Fri Feb 09, 2018 1:21 pm 

Mahoney wrote:

Bet you England won’t close the roof as they’re petrified of our running game.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 09, 2018 1:22 pm 

https://www.walesonline.co.uk/sport/rug ... s-14267202

English antics for this match are very unbecoming.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 09, 2018 1:24 pm 

cubby boi wrote:
Plastic Sarrie wrote:

I thought that (a) he was out for the whole 6N and (b) if he was fit he'd be playing for Wales.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 09, 2018 1:26 pm 

Plastic Sarrie wrote:
cubby boi wrote:
Plastic Sarrie wrote:

I thought that (a) he was out for the whole 6N and (b) if he was fit he'd be playing for Wales.

Would you not rather he was playing for Sarries?

PostPosted: Fri Feb 09, 2018 1:28 pm 

Absolutely. Very pleased. Surprised though.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 09, 2018 1:28 pm 

cubby boi wrote:
Mahoney wrote:

Bet you England won’t close the roof as they’re petrified of our running game.

Unlikely as our players run faster

PostPosted: Fri Feb 09, 2018 1:29 pm 

Plastic Sarrie wrote:
cubby boi wrote:
Plastic Sarrie wrote:

He was not deemed good enough to make the Wales match day squad and released to get some game time.
After May and Walson rip us a new one and 1/2p plays his usual dull game he will be in the team for the next match.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 09, 2018 1:32 pm 

Dai another day wrote:
https://www.walesonline.co.uk/sport/rugby/rugby-news/england-v-wales-six-nations-14267202

English antics for this match are very unbecoming.

A rugby player swearing, what is the world coming to.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 09, 2018 1:37 pm 

Rain definitely plays into to the hands of the heavy Welsh pack and backline. Makes things trickier for England.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 09, 2018 1:37 pm 

Sissyfuss wrote:

lol hes just your regular Aussie.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 09, 2018 1:40 pm 

ovalball wrote:
MaccTaff wrote:
Eddie’s comments about Patchell aren’t getting any more tasteful after a second examination.

They were hardly 'distasteful' comments. A bit 'pratish' maybe.

Not sure the Welsh really need winding up for an encounter with England - but Eddie just likes to make absolutely sure.

Perhaps I'm giving him too much credit, but I do wonder if it sets things up for a titanic physical clash in the first half draining the Welsh opposition for the impact finishers to come on and take the game away from them as they tire in the second half.

Last edited by Rugby2023 on Fri Feb 09, 2018 1:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 09, 2018 1:41 pm 

Double wrote:
Rain definitely plays into to the hands of the heavy Welsh pack and backline. Makes things trickier for England.

I thought the Welsh pack was only around a stone heavier than England’s?

PostPosted: Fri Feb 09, 2018 1:43 pm 

All round top guy and one of the great referees, Jonathan Kaplan, takes a dislike to the comments made by Eddie Jones.

Quote:
"I completely disagree with Eddie Jones in his accusation that Alun Wyn Jones “intimidated” referee Pascal Gauzere during Saturday’s game with Scotland.

I find Jones’s argument to be one-eyed at best, and plain wrong at worst. To my mind there is very little in that incident, and I am extremely surprised the England head coach has said what he has.

As a referee you are always keen to encourage dialogue with players, particularly the leaders of a team at international level. Alun Wyn was the Wales captain on Saturday and, as such, Pascal would have been speaking to him on a regular basis.

That means that if Scotland scored a try and Alun Wyn believes it merits another look from the officials then he can try to make that point – as long as he does so in a respectful fashion.

World Rugby would like their referees to be in sole control of this process but, if we are approached by a captain in the correct manner in the immediate aftermath of an incident, then we will often listen to them as it is in everyone’s benefit to get the big decisions right.

Looking at the conversation Alun Wyn had with Pascal I see absolutely no sign of disrespect, although when he stands in the way of the kicker that is probably a bit of gamesmanship as he tries to make his point – he clearly knows the try cannot be reviewed if the conversion has been taken.

However, once Pascal has made it clear the try is good, Alun Wyn walks away immediately.

When looking at this incident it is important to bear in mind that a lot has been made recently of the fact players need to show officials more respect, and I agree with World Rugby that we have a culture that needs to be maintained. While doing so it is also important that we don’t over-sanitise the lines of communication and refuse to allow leaders to express themselves.

I do wonder why Eddie never mentioned anything on this topic when Owen Farrell repeatedly questioned referee Ben O’Keefe during England’s win over Australia in November.

O’Keefe reviewed and eventually disallowed an Australian try after Farrell’s constant intervention and, if anything, that incident was arguably worse than what Jones is accusing the Welsh captain of – even if the right decision was reached in the end.

I myself have refereed Alun Wyn a number of times and did not have a single issue with him as a leader of his group. He may have disagreed with me on occasion but I had absolutely no problem with that as long as it did not tip over into disrespect or abuse. This incident was neither disrespectful or abusive, and I doubt very much it was intimidating for Pascal – and I would advise the England coach to look closer to home before pointing fingers at others"

PostPosted: Fri Feb 09, 2018 1:45 pm 

Rugby2023 wrote:
ovalball wrote:
MaccTaff wrote:
Eddie’s comments about Patchell aren’t getting any more tasteful after a second examination.

They were hardly 'distasteful' comments. A bit 'pratish' maybe.

Not sure the Welsh really need winding up for an encounter with England - but Eddie just likes to make absolutely sure.

Perhaps I'm giving him too much credit, but I do wonder if it sets things up for a titanic physical clash in the first half draining the Welsh opposition for the impact finishers to come on and take the game away from them as they tire in the second half.

I think that is the most likely scenario too.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 09, 2018 1:47 pm 

Dai another day wrote:
All round top guy and one of the great referees, Jonathan Kaplan, takes a dislike to the comments made by Eddie Jones.

Quote:
"I completely disagree with Eddie Jones in his accusation that Alun Wyn Jones “intimidated” referee Pascal Gauzere during Saturday’s game with Scotland.

I find Jones’s argument to be one-eyed at best, and plain wrong at worst. To my mind there is very little in that incident, and I am extremely surprised the England head coach has said what he has.

As a referee you are always keen to encourage dialogue with players, particularly the leaders of a team at international level. Alun Wyn was the Wales captain on Saturday and, as such, Pascal would have been speaking to him on a regular basis.

That means that if Scotland scored a try and Alun Wyn believes it merits another look from the officials then he can try to make that point – as long as he does so in a respectful fashion.

World Rugby would like their referees to be in sole control of this process but, if we are approached by a captain in the correct manner in the immediate aftermath of an incident, then we will often listen to them as it is in everyone’s benefit to get the big decisions right.

Looking at the conversation Alun Wyn had with Pascal I see absolutely no sign of disrespect, although when he stands in the way of the kicker that is probably a bit of gamesmanship as he tries to make his point – he clearly knows the try cannot be reviewed if the conversion has been taken.

However, once Pascal has made it clear the try is good, Alun Wyn walks away immediately.

When looking at this incident it is important to bear in mind that a lot has been made recently of the fact players need to show officials more respect, and I agree with World Rugby that we have a culture that needs to be maintained. While doing so it is also important that we don’t over-sanitise the lines of communication and refuse to allow leaders to express themselves.

I do wonder why Eddie never mentioned anything on this topic when Owen Farrell repeatedly questioned referee Ben O’Keefe during England’s win over Australia in November.

O’Keefe reviewed and eventually disallowed an Australian try after Farrell’s constant intervention and, if anything, that incident was arguably worse than what Jones is accusing the Welsh captain of – even if the right decision was reached in the end.

I myself have refereed Alun Wyn a number of times and did not have a single issue with him as a leader of his group. He may have disagreed with me on occasion but I had absolutely no problem with that as long as it did not tip over into disrespect or abuse. This incident was neither disrespectful or abusive, and I doubt very much it was intimidating for Pascal – and I would advise the England coach to look closer to home before pointing fingers at others"

Excellent :thumbup:

PostPosted: Fri Feb 09, 2018 1:48 pm 

MaccTaff wrote:
Double wrote:

I thought the Welsh pack was only around a stone heavier than England’s?

It's possible they only look heavy because they're slow. Still, the English mobile ball-handling pack advantage nullified.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 09, 2018 1:50 pm 

This is how I see/bet tomorrow's match:

Medium scoring game for 65 minutes, England lead by two scores, say 9 points, England then go on and score another try towards the end. The bookies have this @ -11 England, I make it -16/17 England. Pretty easy money to be honest with you

PostPosted: Fri Feb 09, 2018 1:51 pm 

MaccTaff wrote:
Dai another day wrote:

Quote:

Excellent :thumbup:

We all know the Welsh love Kaplan. He ignores their cheating.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 09, 2018 1:52 pm 

100MileDad wrote:

Medium scoring game for 65 minutes, England lead by two scores, say 9 points, England then go on and score another try towards the end. The bookies have this @ -11 England, I make it -16/17 England. Pretty easy money to be honest with you

I was thinking England would win by around 11/12 points. I thought it would be pretty tight until towards the end where England get that final score to just put them out of reach of Wales.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 09, 2018 1:54 pm 

bessantj wrote:
100MileDad wrote:

I was thinking England would win by around 11/12 points. I thought it would be pretty tight until towards the end where England get that final score to just put them out of reach of Wales.

I don't agree, we won't be able to stop all of their line breaks and they certainly won't be gifting us any points Ala Ecosse.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 09, 2018 2:00 pm 

Sissyfuss wrote:

Good Lord this is a bad gimmick

PostPosted: Fri Feb 09, 2018 2:02 pm 

Dai another day wrote:

Quote:

Interesting that you haven't posted a link, Dai

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1195 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12 ... 30  Next