Chat Forum
It is currently Tue Aug 21, 2018 2:52 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 248 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 7  Next
Author Message
PostPosted: Fri Feb 09, 2018 2:45 am 
Offline

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 11989
Location: Indiana
So NBC opens with LIVE~!~!~!~! coverage to satisfy 46 detractors of their previous coverage. Because you know everything awesome occurs at 10am.

We've got a completely artificial event called team figure skating on NBC, and practice for men's downhill and a China/Canada mixed doubles curling match on NBC Sports.

I'm so stoked.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri Feb 09, 2018 3:13 am 
Offline

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 11989
Location: Indiana
"Welcome to the Olympics. We open with figure skating, where everyone has fallen down."


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri Feb 09, 2018 3:14 am 
Offline

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 2271
Flyin Ryan wrote:
So NBC opens with LIVE~!~!~!~! coverage to satisfy 46 detractors of their previous coverage. Because you know everything awesome occurs at 10am.

We've got a completely artificial event called team figure skating on NBC, and practice for men's downhill and a China/Canada mixed doubles curling match on NBC Sports.

I'm so stoked.


Curling rocks!

However, mixed doubles. :lol:

Up here its promoters are calling it the "Rugby 7s" of curling. :lol:


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri Feb 09, 2018 3:19 am 
Offline

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 11989
Location: Indiana
canuckles wrote:
Flyin Ryan wrote:
So NBC opens with LIVE~!~!~!~! coverage to satisfy 46 detractors of their previous coverage. Because you know everything awesome occurs at 10am.

We've got a completely artificial event called team figure skating on NBC, and practice for men's downhill and a China/Canada mixed doubles curling match on NBC Sports.

I'm so stoked.


Curling rocks!

However, mixed doubles. :lol:

Up here its promoters are calling it the "Rugby 7s" of curling. :lol:


I like watching curling from time to time actually.

In general, no NHLers is such a letdown for me. Hockey is what I look forward to most in the Winter Olympics. Going to see Russia destroy everyone with a KHL side.


Last edited by Flyin Ryan on Fri Feb 09, 2018 3:26 am, edited 3 times in total.

Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri Feb 09, 2018 3:25 am 
Offline

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 2271
Flyin Ryan wrote:
canuckles wrote:
Flyin Ryan wrote:
So NBC opens with LIVE~!~!~!~! coverage to satisfy 46 detractors of their previous coverage. Because you know everything awesome occurs at 10am.

We've got a completely artificial event called team figure skating on NBC, and practice for men's downhill and a China/Canada mixed doubles curling match on NBC Sports.

I'm so stoked.


Curling rocks!

However, mixed doubles. :lol:

Up here its promoters are calling it the "Rugby 7s" of curling. :lol:


I like watching curling from time to time actually.


It is even better playing the game. Up here it is the epitome of a social and a community sport.

What is with all of these splinter sports? And the way their promoters push them!


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri Feb 09, 2018 3:28 am 
Offline

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 11989
Location: Indiana
Answer this, why do we have women's curling and men's curling? Since a woman ought to be able to curl as well as a man, shouldn't there be one coed curling event? It seems like nothing more than medal inflation by encouraging sex segregation when it's not necessary.

Other Olympic events that should be coed/no separate men's or women's competitions: archery, shooting, sailing, and I think in ski jumping women are not at a physical disadvantage compared to men. Equestrian already is coed.

Quote:
What is with all of these splinter sports? And the way their promoters push them!


FIBA has gotten 3-on-3 basketball added to the Summer Olympic schedule. x(


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri Feb 09, 2018 3:32 am 
Offline

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 2271
Flyin Ryan wrote:
Answer this? Why do we have women's curling and men's curling? Since a woman ought to be able to curl as well as a man, shouldn't there be one coed curling event? It seems like nothing more than medal inflation by encouraging sex segregation when it's not necessary.

Other Olympic events that should be coed/no separate men's or women's competitions: archery, shooting, sailing, and I think in ski jumping women are not at a physical disadvantage compared to men. Equestrian already is coed.

Quote:
What is with all of these splinter sports? And the way their promoters push them!


FIBA has gotten 3-on-3 basketball added to the Summer Olympic schedule. x(


I have no idea. Just tradition, I guess. I know it is not much of an answer.

What next - 3-on-3 hockey? Some guys in Ontario are trying to push it.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri Feb 09, 2018 4:28 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 21354
Location: Centre of the Universe
canuckles wrote:
Flyin Ryan wrote:
Answer this? Why do we have women's curling and men's curling? Since a woman ought to be able to curl as well as a man, shouldn't there be one coed curling event? It seems like nothing more than medal inflation by encouraging sex segregation when it's not necessary.

Other Olympic events that should be coed/no separate men's or women's competitions: archery, shooting, sailing, and I think in ski jumping women are not at a physical disadvantage compared to men. Equestrian already is coed.

Quote:
What is with all of these splinter sports? And the way their promoters push them!


FIBA has gotten 3-on-3 basketball added to the Summer Olympic schedule. x(


I have no idea. Just tradition, I guess. I know it is not much of an answer.

What next - 3-on-3 hockey? Some guys in Ontario are trying to push it.



Money's the answer to those questions, innit? More viewers, more sponsorship, like when they started adding all the X-Games shit.

Having just looked into curling, its first appearance in 1924 only featured three men's teams that had a round-robin with each other (UK, SWE, FRA). :lol: I hadn't realised that it didn't make an official Olympic comeback until 1998. I wonder if it wasn't part of the program because so few nations were actually interested in it?


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri Feb 09, 2018 4:33 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 21354
Location: Centre of the Universe
Flyin Ryan wrote:
So NBC opens with LIVE~!~!~!~! coverage to satisfy 46 detractors of their previous coverage. Because you know everything awesome occurs at 10am.

We've got a completely artificial event called team figure skating on NBC.


You've basically pointed out that nothing has changed for NBC, though. Live coverage only because it's during the daytime, and not even afternoon time when they'd be interrupting soaps and Ellen, but those segmented morning chat shows where they have no-name guests, cooking, fashion, etc.

BUT, they will always be sure to show you ever nanosecond of the figure skating. :roll:


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri Feb 09, 2018 1:13 pm 
Offline

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 14457
Location: Tahstown
Opening ceremony like a K pop concert. Love these one competitor countries with 3-4 junket officials in tow. It must ridiculously beef up games hosting budgets just for some crusty to drink snapps with some other old fogeys


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri Feb 09, 2018 1:18 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 20873
The Olympics reminds me why the BBC is so bloody brilliant! :thumbup:


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri Feb 09, 2018 1:32 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 1254
eldanielfire wrote:
The Olympics reminds me why the BBC is so bloody brilliant! :thumbup:


Hopefully this time they'll show some of the games, rather than endless discussions with Clare Balding about the British athletes' medal chances and what's coming up later


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri Feb 09, 2018 1:48 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 7720
Nutter!! :lol:

Image


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri Feb 09, 2018 1:55 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 19436
Location: Wandering around Europe
awesome ceremony :thumbup:
move over danny boyle


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri Feb 09, 2018 2:24 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sun Sep 16, 2012 5:34 am
Posts: 14241
Gazzamonster wrote:
Nutter!! :lol:

Image

He did the same thing at Rio :lol:


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri Feb 09, 2018 2:24 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 11466
Lobby wrote:
eldanielfire wrote:
The Olympics reminds me why the BBC is so bloody brilliant! :thumbup:


Hopefully this time they'll show some of the games, rather than endless discussions with Clare Balding about the British athletes' medal chances and what's coming up later

What tended to be coming up later was highlights of Clare Balding discussing Britain’s medal chances.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri Feb 09, 2018 7:45 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 2227
I'm looking forward to the bit where all the speed skaters, except the one stone last, fall over.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri Feb 09, 2018 8:17 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Thu Oct 18, 2012 9:10 pm
Posts: 1814
Location: St. Louis
Normally don’t mind some Olympics but this year’s games have pushed the Six Nations off NBC Sports for the next few weeks :x

Quote:
In general, no NHLers is such a letdown for me. Hockey is what I look forward to most in the Winter Olympics.


So much this. Although to be fair it’s not like the massive ratings for the 2010 final translated into any sort of increased interest in the NHL, so I can kind of see the reasoning. That’s a sport that has reached its ceiling.

I’ve really tried to get into the Blues a few times but just couldn’t stay with it. Olympic hockey was the tits though.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri Feb 09, 2018 8:24 pm 
Offline

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 18739
Two girls, one curl


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri Feb 09, 2018 8:48 pm 
Offline

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 1539
CrazyIslander wrote:
Gazzamonster wrote:
Nutter!! :lol:

Image

He did the same thing at Rio :lol:


It was a bit warmer than - 2 to - 5 degrees in Rio! Loose unit, but I guess you take any opportunity you can when you’ve got a rig like that!


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri Feb 09, 2018 9:08 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 19055
jimmy speights wrote:
CrazyIslander wrote:
Gazzamonster wrote:
Nutter!! :lol:

Image

He did the same thing at Rio :lol:


It was a bit warmer than - 2 to - 5 degrees in Rio! Loose unit, but I guess you take any opportunity you can when you’ve got a rig like that!

My friend who is of a certain persuasion has tweeted/mentioned him about 50 times today alone and has dug out all his old posts about him from Rio!

He's quite taken with him


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri Feb 09, 2018 9:14 pm 
Offline

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 18739
Doh - first looked at that pic and thought “funny looking Swiss chap”

Tbf I’m looking after the kids whilst they watching angry birds film (again) and it’s melting my brain


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sat Feb 10, 2018 1:01 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 11447
Estonian flagbearer - :nod: :thumbup:


Since the Koreans had 1200 drones lighting up the sky, I reckon Tokyo is going to come out with 5,000 robots flying to the moon in 2020.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sat Feb 10, 2018 3:11 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 21354
Location: Centre of the Universe
C'mon, Auckman ... rules, mate.

Image

Image


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sat Feb 10, 2018 3:44 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 11447
Google is our friend.

Saskia Alusalu


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sat Feb 10, 2018 3:46 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 2950
Auckman wrote:
Google is our friend.

Saskia Alusalu


jesus f**king christ

*books flights to Tallinn*


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sat Feb 10, 2018 3:56 am 
Offline

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 1645
Location: Canadian Tundra
First gold...

In head shaped like a snow ball competition....



Winner.... Gold


Image


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sat Feb 10, 2018 6:23 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sat Apr 27, 2013 11:18 am
Posts: 5933
Location: The Kapiti Coast
Murdoch wrote:
Auckman wrote:
Google is our friend.

Saskia Alusalu


jesus f**king christ

*books flights to Tallinn*

Great call, Estonians would be among the most beautiful women in the world.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sat Feb 10, 2018 6:32 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 21945
eldanielfire wrote:
The Olympics on NBC reminds me why the BBC is so bloody brilliant! :thumbup:


Fixed.


God I hate how shit the Yanks are at Olympic coverage.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sat Feb 10, 2018 1:11 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 20873
Nieghorn wrote:
C'mon, Auckman ... rules, mate.

Image

Image


I'm in love with the Estonian already!


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sun Feb 11, 2018 5:24 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 11850
NBC's coverage is such garbage in 2018. They have 6 channels to show various events on (NBC, NBCSN, CNBC, MSNBC, USA and Olympic Channel) and they have like 2 channels actually showing anything despite there being a ton of events on. They also seemingly have no online content that isn't just a stream of one of the above channels. Terrible.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sun Feb 11, 2018 6:46 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 11447
goeagles wrote:
NBC's coverage is such garbage in 2018. They have 6 channels to show various events on (NBC, NBCSN, CNBC, MSNBC, USA and Olympic Channel) and they have like 2 channels actually showing anything despite there being a ton of events on. They also seemingly have no online content that isn't just a stream of one of the above channels. Terrible.


I watched the American 17yo win the slopestyle today. It royally stuffed up the Kiwi's chances in the process but it seemed like a sea of Canadians and Europeans in this event so pretty nice of the young fella to win it.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sun Feb 11, 2018 7:14 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sat Sep 19, 2015 5:14 am
Posts: 4229
Location: NZ
That American nailed it when it counted and the pressure then got to our guy. Fourth is a terrible position.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sun Feb 11, 2018 11:03 am 
Offline

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 14457
Location: Tahstown
Impressed with the Kiwi 4th in long track skating, really hard to break that far up with the European domination or Dutch really. Even the Yanks cant feature in this event anymore.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sun Feb 11, 2018 11:47 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Thu Dec 04, 2014 4:57 pm
Posts: 3138
The Winter Olympics seem to have 100th of the global appeal of the actual Olympics, and that's pretty much how I feel too. :yawn:


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sun Feb 11, 2018 12:58 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 16056
Location: We'll Never Forget You Geordan D'Arcy
eldanielfire wrote:
Nieghorn wrote:
C'mon, Auckman ... rules, mate.

Image

Image


I'm in love with the Estonian already!


She doesn't need skates.

She could make it around just fine on her cheekbones.

Stunner.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon Feb 12, 2018 5:28 am 
Offline

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 11989
Location: Indiana
Random thoughts from the weekend:

-the U.S. just now won their first-ever medal in men's luge? nice and all, but what took so long?
-U.S. one-sided dominate a game vs. Finland in women's ice hockey but only win 3-1 after the Finnish goalie stands on her head; the Finns are the 3rd-best team in the competition most likely, and all this demonstrates everything wrong with women's ice hockey, there's only 2 teams
-I have as much contempt of figure skating as the next guy, but the Russian female figure skater in the team competition Zagitova, her performance was beautiful

grievous wrote:
Impressed with the Kiwi 4th in long track skating, really hard to break that far up with the European domination or Dutch really. Even the Yanks cant feature in this event anymore.


There's a black guy (Shani Baker maybe?) that's pretty good at the shorter distances. He lost being flag bearer in the Opening Ceremony in a coin flip (vote was a tie between him and who was the flag bearer), and that pissed some people off.

goeagles wrote:
NBC's coverage is such garbage in 2018. They have 6 channels to show various events on (NBC, NBCSN, CNBC, MSNBC, USA and Olympic Channel) and they have like 2 channels actually showing anything despite there being a ton of events on. They also seemingly have no online content that isn't just a stream of one of the above channels. Terrible.


But you got your f**king live live live live LIVE~!~!~!~!~! coverage that you've been clamoring for. Live at 3 in the morning goeagles, are you not entertained? Hey, this is Olympics #1 of a 3-Olympic cycle with a 10-to-13-hour time difference for NBC to go through. They're not even going to get back to European-level time differences until 2024.

(Seriously people, DVRing and then watching this stuff is so much better. You can fast forward through all the sappy bullshit.)

NBC are never going to treat this as a pure sports event. And they've broadcast every single Olympics consecutively beginning with the 2000 Games, so you have an entire generation of people watching that this is all they know.

I think the alpine skiing events getting heavily delayed is throwing their plans for a loop.


Last edited by Flyin Ryan on Mon Feb 12, 2018 5:39 am, edited 1 time in total.

Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon Feb 12, 2018 5:37 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Wed Apr 27, 2016 1:50 am
Posts: 2934
Channel 7 Coverage in Oz is dire - 1 channel.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon Feb 12, 2018 5:47 am 
Offline

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 11989
Location: Indiana
Didn't watch it, but I guess the women's slopestyle was a disaster of epic proportions due to the winds?


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon Feb 12, 2018 6:26 am 
Online
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 6378
Location: The other side of midnight
Flyin Ryan wrote:
Didn't watch it, but I guess the women's slopestyle was a disaster of epic proportions due to the winds?

It was a bit shit to be fair


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 248 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 7  Next

All times are UTC [ DST ]


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: BBB, Bing [Bot], _fatprop, Google Adsense [Bot], guy smiley, jambanja, Jay Cee Gee, Kiwias, koroke hangareka, mojo, MungoMan, Olo, Sensible Stephen, True Blue, UncleFB, Uthikoloshe and 1 guest


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group