Chat Forum
It is currently Sun Jun 24, 2018 1:42 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 22230 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 527, 528, 529, 530, 531, 532, 533 ... 556  Next
PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2018 6:32 pm 

Lorthern Nights wrote:
zt1903 wrote:
https://theoffsideline.com/cockerill-confirms-departure-hidalgo-clyne-du-preez-weir-tovey-remains-coy-scott-return/

Confirms comment about SHC and suggests that the replacement could be currently in NZ.

Quote:
“We put an offer on the table to Sammy but we couldn’t get to a point where we were both happy, so we move on and we look to build the squad,” said Cockerill.

In terms of coverage at scrum-half, Edinburgh still have Nathan Fowles [part of the Scotland Six Nations training squad this year] and Sean Kennedy on the books until at least the end of next season, while Currie Chieftains youngster Charlie Shiel is set to join the full-time staff next year, and the club is understood to have been in discussion with a potential recruit from New Zealand.

Suggestion (on ER board) is that it could be Finlay Christie

http://www.chiefs.co.nz/team/team/playe ... ++Christie

Remember him against the Lions, he looked lively and could be an interesting one. Scotland qualified as well from what i remember.

Born in Scotland, moved at age 7

PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2018 6:37 pm 

zt1903 wrote:
Lorthern Nights wrote:
zt1903 wrote:
https://theoffsideline.com/cockerill-confirms-departure-hidalgo-clyne-du-preez-weir-tovey-remains-coy-scott-return/

Confirms comment about SHC and suggests that the replacement could be currently in NZ.

Quote:
“We put an offer on the table to Sammy but we couldn’t get to a point where we were both happy, so we move on and we look to build the squad,” said Cockerill.

In terms of coverage at scrum-half, Edinburgh still have Nathan Fowles [part of the Scotland Six Nations training squad this year] and Sean Kennedy on the books until at least the end of next season, while Currie Chieftains youngster Charlie Shiel is set to join the full-time staff next year, and the club is understood to have been in discussion with a potential recruit from New Zealand.

Remember him against the Lions, he looked lively and could be an interesting one. Scotland qualified as well from what i remember.

Always good when we get someone in from left field. Last one was Huw Jones, and that turned out pretty well.

BBC says Dents is leaving Worcester after one season, with CdP coming in. Dents in line for a return to Embra perhaps?

PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2018 6:44 pm 

zt1903 wrote:
Lorthern Nights wrote:
zt1903 wrote:

Quote:

Never mind where born or the name, can tell by the heid on him he is SQ!

PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2018 7:18 pm 

Alba wrote:
Big D wrote:
Doc Rob wrote:
charltom wrote:
I'd rather see Taylor in at 12 but is there any chance of that?

I'd also love to see Kinghorn come off the bench, but that seems unlikely unless we're well behind - Toonie showed his conservative side in the limited use of replacements on Sunday.

Good news for many here - CdP, SHC, Weir and Tovey are being released by Edinburgh, supposedly as RC tries to rebalance squad to have fewer forwards and more backs. Given most of the above arw backs, hopefully he'll bring in more quality!

Talking of which, George Horne has signed for another year at Glasgow. Shame it's not more!

Slightly concerned as to who he plans to replace them with, given that 3 of the 4 are Scottish. If not currently playing.

Barclay and Crosbie (with his pro deal) will/have come into the back row and Mata has been very effective.

I think those leaving are somewhat understandable.

The writing was on the wall for the 10s as soon as the signings were announced.

SHC hasn't got his form of a few years ago back and if he was asking for a bigger deal as reported then it's right to say no.

CdP leaving is a shame but mostly for the fact the I jury robbed him of his peak in an Edinburgh shirt.

No mention of Burleigh and Hardie yet.

Weir's replacement was announced a while ago, it's a kiwi called Simon Hickey, currently at Bordeaux. There's been no confirmation yet that he is SQ, so presumably he is not. He'll be in after the three year residency moves to five years, so I can't imagine that is a motivation. That will leave the FHs as Van der Walt, Hickey, McLelland (the ex rugby league youngster, currently playing with the Scottish U20s) then Baggot I think. The first two picks being non-SQ is concerning as you point out.

Given CdP and Mata are keeping Bradbury out the team at present (assuming you think Bradbury is an 8 and not a 6), I suppose CdP leaving moves Bradbury up one place in the pecking order to regular starter again. Hopefully it also means that Ally Miller, who was so impressive for the U20s last year, can move up and take a squad place.

Equally, I suppose SHC leaving means Charlie Shiel will move up a place in the pecking order to squad member. I presume it is too much to hope that Vellacott has signed in his place? I wouldn't bet against a Scottish/SQ 9 coming in though - maybe Scott Steele? I'm not sure how much he has developed but he certainly looked half-decent a few years ago.

Matt Scott is strongly rumoured to be returning too, so that's one more Scottish back and he will form a tasty centre combination with Bennett.

What experience did he have in league? Presumably not much if he's under 20s?

PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2018 7:36 pm 

OptimisticJock wrote:
Alba wrote:
Big D wrote:
Doc Rob wrote:
charltom wrote:
I'd rather see Taylor in at 12 but is there any chance of that?

I'd also love to see Kinghorn come off the bench, but that seems unlikely unless we're well behind - Toonie showed his conservative side in the limited use of replacements on Sunday.

Good news for many here - CdP, SHC, Weir and Tovey are being released by Edinburgh, supposedly as RC tries to rebalance squad to have fewer forwards and more backs. Given most of the above arw backs, hopefully he'll bring in more quality!

Talking of which, George Horne has signed for another year at Glasgow. Shame it's not more!

Slightly concerned as to who he plans to replace them with, given that 3 of the 4 are Scottish. If not currently playing.

Barclay and Crosbie (with his pro deal) will/have come into the back row and Mata has been very effective.

I think those leaving are somewhat understandable.

The writing was on the wall for the 10s as soon as the signings were announced.

SHC hasn't got his form of a few years ago back and if he was asking for a bigger deal as reported then it's right to say no.

CdP leaving is a shame but mostly for the fact the I jury robbed him of his peak in an Edinburgh shirt.

No mention of Burleigh and Hardie yet.

Weir's replacement was announced a while ago, it's a kiwi called Simon Hickey, currently at Bordeaux. There's been no confirmation yet that he is SQ, so presumably he is not. He'll be in after the three year residency moves to five years, so I can't imagine that is a motivation. That will leave the FHs as Van der Walt, Hickey, McLelland (the ex rugby league youngster, currently playing with the Scottish U20s) then Baggot I think. The first two picks being non-SQ is concerning as you point out.

Given CdP and Mata are keeping Bradbury out the team at present (assuming you think Bradbury is an 8 and not a 6), I suppose CdP leaving moves Bradbury up one place in the pecking order to regular starter again. Hopefully it also means that Ally Miller, who was so impressive for the U20s last year, can move up and take a squad place.

Equally, I suppose SHC leaving means Charlie Shiel will move up a place in the pecking order to squad member. I presume it is too much to hope that Vellacott has signed in his place? I wouldn't bet against a Scottish/SQ 9 coming in though - maybe Scott Steele? I'm not sure how much he has developed but he certainly looked half-decent a few years ago.

Matt Scott is strongly rumoured to be returning too, so that's one more Scottish back and he will form a tasty centre combination with Bennett.

What experience did he have in league? Presumably not much if he's under 20s?

At senior level, none as far as I can see (information on him is pretty scarce). He was England U16 captain and played for their U18s, but nothing suggests he has played any first team games for any side.

Finlay Christie would be a good addition (based on that one Lions match). Given the major competition is Fowles and Kennedy, I would hope he would be a step up on what Edinburgh currently have.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2018 7:57 pm 

Christie is only just starting a 2 year deal with the Hurricanes so I'm doubtful that it's him.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2018 8:24 pm 

topofthemoon wrote:
Christie is only just starting a 2 year deal with the Hurricanes so I'm doubtful that it's him.

Two Scots in their squad.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2018 8:41 pm 

topofthemoon wrote:

Well, you never know. Perhaps the SRU made Vellacott an offer he couldn’t refuse. It had better include declaring for Scotland if so...

PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2018 8:45 pm 

Embra have also signed a THP from Yorkshire Carnegie until the end of the season, Elliot Millar-Mills. He is SQ via his mother. One of his sisters plays for England, the other for Scotland. That must make for interesting family gatherings...

PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2018 9:38 pm 

Doc Rob wrote:
topofthemoon wrote:

Well, you never know. Perhaps the SRU made Vellacott an offer he couldn’t refuse. It had better include declaring for Scotland if so...

They've been speaking to a NZ scrum half apparently so it's really unlikely to be Vellacott.

Who has made his bed. Would be weird to declare for England and then change his mind before Youngs and Care are shuffled out post world cup.

I had hoped Rennie would bring more kilted kiwis over.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2018 10:22 pm 

I like haggis wrote:
Doc Rob wrote:
topofthemoon wrote:

They've been speaking to a NZ scrum half apparently so it's really unlikely to be Vellacott.

Who has made his bed. Would be weird to declare for England and then change his mind before Youngs and Care are shuffled out post world cup.

I had hoped Rennie would bring more kilted kiwis over.

Did he formally declare, or did he just not turn down a call-up? I accept he is unlikely to change back to Scotland now, but I don’t recall him making any statement about it.

EDIT: just remembered, there was the squad with Fowles where his name ought to have been in alphabetical order. So perhaps he did make the statement.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2018 11:42 pm 

Doc Rob wrote:
Embra have also signed a THP from Yorkshire Carnegie until the end of the season, Elliot Millar-Mills. He is SQ via his mother. One of his sisters plays for England, the other for Scotland. That must make for interesting family gatherings...

He's been on loan already IIRC.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2018 11:50 pm 

Doc Rob wrote:

His sister is an amazing player in the womens game, I don't know about the this millar mills though.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2018 12:31 am 

dargotronV.1 wrote:
Don't think Russell will be dropped. As said by others I agree that only chance we have v England is if Russell plays and plays well. Good to see him get subbed yesterday, think that may have the effect this week of putting the wind up him with Laidlaw/Horne waiting in the wings.

Really pleased to see Gilchrist have a good game yesterday. He carried hard, found gaps and tackled well, plus the line out generally showed up much better than v Wales.

Can't help but agree on Maitland flattering to decieve, but think he's a better bet than Jones at this moment. Wing is really not a position of strength at the moment with Seymour also flatlining. Fairly anonymous yesterday again.

Was thinking about this, and I reckon this is the crux of it.

I think the chances of us beating England are slim - but for us to have any chance at all, we must have Russell in the team and firing on all cylinders. If he plays badly again we lose - but if he doesn’t play then we lose anyway.

If he is shocking, then by all means drop him for the final two games, but he has to start v England. For all that everyone is falling over themselves to slate him just now, I think he and Hogg are probably the only players England will fear.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2018 1:09 am 

Oi, stick a match thread up, there's good chaps

PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2018 3:50 pm 

Kinghorn (3 years), Hoyland (1) and Van Der Walt (2) sign extensions with Embra, as does Matt Smith (2) with Glasgow. All sounds good - surprised Hoyland is being kept on given his lack of gametime but RC must see something in him to be keeping him on. :thumbup:

What is the crack with this guy Simon Hickey, is he SQ or not? Surely if he isn't then a) we've a log jam for SQ tens at Ed, and b) he's 5 years from being SQ which is a long old time

PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2018 4:05 pm 

I don't think he is.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2018 4:20 pm 

Doc Rob wrote:
zt1903 wrote:
Lorthern Nights wrote:
zt1903 wrote:

Quote:

Always good when we get someone in from left field. Last one was Huw Jones, and that turned out pretty well.

BBC says Dents is leaving Worcester after one season, with CdP coming in. Dents in line for a return to Embra perhaps?

Leicester

PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2018 4:35 pm 

dargotronV.1 wrote:
Kinghorn (3 years), Hoyland (1) and Van Der Walt (2) sign extensions with Embra, as does Matt Smith (2) with Glasgow. All sounds good - surprised Hoyland is being kept on given his lack of gametime but RC must see something in him to be keeping him on. :thumbup:

What is the crack with this guy Simon Hickey, is he SQ or not? Surely if he isn't then a) we've a log jam for SQ tens at Ed, and b) he's 5 years from being SQ which is a long old time

Playing devils advocate. A lot jam for who just now? Weir isn't good enough, Kinghorn is a very promising 15, Baggot made no impression on last two coaches, and Jackson/Hastings/Henderson all on Glasgow books.

Eastgate is at wasps.

There just isn't many good SQ 10s about and Edinburgh need a good 10 regardless of nationality for the short term to keep the club pressing forward.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 15, 2018 12:49 pm 

Big D wrote:
dargotronV.1 wrote:

Playing devils advocate. A lot jam for who just now? Weir isn't good enough, Kinghorn is a very promising 15, Baggot made no impression on last two coaches, and Jackson/Hastings/Henderson all on Glasgow books.

Eastgate is at wasps.

There just isn't many good SQ 10s about and Edinburgh need a good 10 regardless of nationality for the short term to keep the club pressing forward.

It's probably a pipe-dream, but I'd love to see Edinburgh go hard after Redpath, if not this year then next. It would be galling to lose another to the English system, and the promise of first team action was clearly enough to draw Hastings north.

On an aside, does anyone know what has happened to Rory Hutchinson at Northampton Saints? He seemed like he was breaking through last season, but has somewhat disappeared as far as I can tell. He might be another to try to lure north if things aren't working out in the Prem?

PostPosted: Thu Feb 15, 2018 12:54 pm 

Alba wrote:
Big D wrote:
dargotronV.1 wrote:

Eastgate is at wasps.

It's probably a pipe-dream, but I'd love to see Edinburgh go hard after Redpath, if not this year then next. It would be galling to lose another to the English system, and the promise of first team action was clearly enough to draw Hastings north.

On an aside, does anyone know what has happened to Rory Hutchinson at Northampton Saints? He seemed like he was breaking through last season, but has somewhat disappeared as far as I can tell. He might be another to try to lure north if things aren't working out in the Prem?

I don't think we can claim we've lost Redpath. He was born in France and raised in England and apart from representing us at U18 in 2016 he's played all his international rugby for the English age grade teams.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 15, 2018 1:21 pm 

Steamin Beamin wrote:
Alba wrote:
Big D wrote:
dargotronV.1 wrote:

Eastgate is at wasps.

I don't think we can claim we've lost Redpath. He was born in France and raised in England and apart from representing us at U18 in 2016 he's played all his international rugby for the English age grade teams.

It still feels like a loss - his dad was Scotland captain FFS!

PostPosted: Thu Feb 15, 2018 1:40 pm 

Alba wrote:
Steamin Beamin wrote:
Alba wrote:
Big D wrote:
dargotronV.1 wrote:

Eastgate is at wasps.

I hear you, but at least we haven't spent time and money developing him only for him to fudge off and represent them.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 15, 2018 1:44 pm 

Redpath isn’t “lost” he is doing what is best for his career currently and will make a final decision when he is put in a position he has to.
My money is on scotland if he is good enough to have both interested in full cap.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 15, 2018 2:37 pm 

frillage wrote:
Redpath isn’t “lost” he is doing what is best for his career currently and will make a final decision when he is put in a position he has to.
My money is on scotland if he is good enough to have both interested in full cap.

I do hope you are right. By all accounts, he seems very highly rated. I did notice he wasn't included in the England U20s squad for the 6N, but I presume he is still U18 level and they have such an embarrassment of riches at U20 level.

What about Fraser Dingwall - is he another anglo that we brought into the system, or has he moved down south more recently?

PostPosted: Thu Feb 15, 2018 2:39 pm 

Alba wrote:
frillage wrote:

I do hope you are right. By all accounts, he seems very highly rated. I did notice he wasn't included in the England U20s squad for the 6N, but I presume he is still U18 level and they have such an embarrassment of riches at U20 level.

What about Fraser Dingwall - is he another anglo that we brought into the system, or has he moved down south more recently?

Redpath played the last game against Wales after a few players were called back by their clubs. Scored a try.

Not sure about Dingwall, but the England reserve 9 (Brand) is Scottish. Moved to England in his early teens iirc.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 15, 2018 2:41 pm 

Match preview for Glasgow v Cheetahs:

https://wp.me/p68WtH-7WS

PostPosted: Thu Feb 15, 2018 4:21 pm 

topofthemoon wrote:

Informative read as always TOTM.

I'm curious - do you think it would be possible to make football-style player radars in rugby with the stats that are available? It is a conversation I was having with a mate the other day and we weren't sure if the stats available lend themselves to that way of assessing player ability. Neither of really have the skills required to say either way, however, so I wondered what you thought? It would certainly be interesting to see, for instance, a radar for opposing players in a team lineup to see where strengths and weaknesses may lie.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 15, 2018 5:41 pm 

Alba wrote:
Steamin Beamin wrote:
Alba wrote:
Big D wrote:
dargotronV.1 wrote:

Eastgate is at wasps.

It’s a whole lot easier to break into age-group teams in the country in which you are actually resident.

Speaking as someone born to Scots parents living in England (moved back when I was 13) I’d be really surprised if Redpath’s childhood dream was to play for England.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 15, 2018 6:36 pm 

Alba wrote:
frillage wrote:

It was asked by the Sky commentary team, Brian Redpath nicely walked over to the Sky TV coverage for a chat and he said Cameron decided he wanted to play for England. He said it was his son's decision in the matter.

Now whether it's actually because he just wants to play U20s, not the full side, hard to say and I suppose we'll never know until he comes to that cross roads. It's a difficult one, I can imagine if your dad is a scottish great, however you've been raised and educated to play in England, it's one of the 50/50 calls. Personally I'd love to emulate my dads achievements if he was from X, Y or Z but you never know what the kids thinks.

He's one of those that if he played for Scotland, I'd have no hard feelings because he's Brian's son etc.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 15, 2018 10:03 pm 

Alba wrote:
topofthemoon wrote:

Informative read as always TOTM.

I'm curious - do you think it would be possible to make football-style player radars in rugby with the stats that are available? It is a conversation I was having with a mate the other day and we weren't sure if the stats available lend themselves to that way of assessing player ability. Neither of really have the skills required to say either way, however, so I wondered what you thought? It would certainly be interesting to see, for instance, a radar for opposing players in a team lineup to see where strengths and weaknesses may lie.

I think it would probably be a bit limited for individual players - especially forwards - due to the minimal number of publicly available stats and a lot of them being for relatively rare events (eg Clean Breaks) so small numbers of actions could easily skew things.

You've got me wondering though if it might work as an simple visualisation to compare the key stats for 2 teams head to head. Might take a look...

PostPosted: Fri Feb 16, 2018 1:21 am 

Wendigo7 wrote:
Alba wrote:
frillage wrote:

It was asked by the Sky commentary team, Brian Redpath nicely walked over to the Sky TV coverage for a chat and he said Cameron decided he wanted to play for England. He said it was his son's decision in the matter.

Now whether it's actually because he just wants to play U20s, not the full side, hard to say and I suppose we'll never know until he comes to that cross roads. It's a difficult one, I can imagine if your dad is a scottish great, however you've been raised and educated to play in England, it's one of the 50/50 calls. Personally I'd love to emulate my dads achievements if he was from X, Y or Z but you never know what the kids thinks.

He's one of those that if he played for Scotland, I'd have no hard feelings because he's Brian's son etc.

All I can say is that it wouldn’t have been 50/50 for me (it would have been 100/0) and I can’t quite believe that growing up with a dad who captained Scotland wouldn’t shorten the odds in that direction. But what do I know? Maybe it’s teenage rebellion and he wants to do whatever will hurt his old man the most.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 16, 2018 8:42 am 

England called up Sam Moore who's dad played for Wales and uncle captained them.

Could be kids born and raised in England want to play for England as they feel England and get the money/increased chances for success that brings?

Also, the Scottish under20s this year are abysmal. Why would Redpath want to play for them when he can challenge for the titles? England under20s will absolutely spank us.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 16, 2018 9:35 am 

I like haggis wrote:
England called up Sam Moore who's dad played for Wales and uncle captained them.

Could be kids born and raised in England want to play for England as they feel England and get the money/increased chances for success that brings?

Also, the Scottish under20s this year are abysmal. Why would Redpath want to play for them when he can challenge for the titles? England under20s will absolutely spank us.

Could be. All I said was that I wouldn’t have wanted to. Can’t speak for anyone else, I just find it surprising.

Our U20s are certainly abysmal this year, but they’ve actually been quite good for the last couple. We’ll never be on England’s level, though, so fair enough.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 16, 2018 10:09 am 

Doc Rob wrote:
I like haggis wrote:

Could be. All I said was that I wouldn’t have wanted to. Can’t speak for anyone else, I just find it surprising.

Our U20s are certainly abysmal this year, but they’ve actually been quite good for the last couple. We’ll never be on England’s level, though, so fair enough.

didn't the U20's beat the English the year before last? Was a good couple years for that team.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 16, 2018 12:23 pm 

Fwiw according to Will Kelleher Redpath is training with the England seniors today!

They are keen on him.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 16, 2018 12:41 pm 

I like haggis wrote:

It is really complex on these islands - Sam Moore's dad and uncle were both born in England despite representing Wales! I don't think anyone can make presumptions about the feelings of nationality that a child has based simply on their parents. Some will favour their parents, some the country they grow up in, some will follow the money (or the chance of success - whatever that means) and some will not have a clue.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 16, 2018 3:01 pm 

Nel and Fagerson back in training, either / both could come back for England game

PostPosted: Fri Feb 16, 2018 3:57 pm 

dargotronV.1 wrote:
Nel and Fagerson back in training, either / both could come back for England game

And potentially RG

https://www.scotsman.com/sport/rugby-un ... -1-4690297

PostPosted: Fri Feb 16, 2018 4:08 pm 

A5D5E5 wrote:
I like haggis wrote:

It is really complex on these islands - Sam Moore's dad and uncle were both born in England despite representing Wales! I don't think anyone can make presumptions about the feelings of nationality that a child has based simply on their parents. Some will favour their parents, some the country they grow up in, some will follow the money (or the chance of success - whatever that means) and some will not have a clue.

Not making presumptions - I’m just genuinely surprised. Redpath Jr has grown up with a dad who captained Scotland, and I think it’s strange that he would choose to follow him into pro rugby, but then opt to represent another country. But there it is - time will tell.

It is indeed complex. In the days before grandparent qualification, Bruce Rioch’s son was ruled ineligible to represent Scotland at football despite his dad having captained the team. Joe Baker of Hibs was unable to play for Scotland in the late 50s because he was born in Liverpool, but had lived in Scotland since he was 6 weeks old. He became the first player to represent England without playing for an English club (a trick only Owen Hargreaves has managed since).

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 22230 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 527, 528, 529, 530, 531, 532, 533 ... 556  Next