Chat Forum
It is currently Sun Dec 16, 2018 9:03 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 2227 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 48, 49, 50, 51, 52, 53, 54 ... 56  Next
PostPosted: Tue Feb 20, 2018 8:57 pm 

Sefton wrote:
One of the podcasts I listen to is Click from the BBC World Service and It feels like every other feature has somebody eulogising how blockchains are going to fundamentally change their industry, it does remind me of the dot com 80’s with solid core underlying technology but with overblown expectations but then I’m an old fart now so there’s a good chance I’m talking shit.

It’s just a code encryption chain of data buckets that protection-buffers itself against quick creation and doesn’t require third party verification because it’s method of creation mitigates side-branch creation by verification of the timestamped single path from the genesis block. It’s a clever conduit that could carry any info.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 20, 2018 8:59 pm 

Rumham wrote:
goeagles wrote:
A blockchain pretty clearly could be used for better gun registry record keeping. But keep on with your "Bitcoin is a scam and going to zero" crap.

Gun registry records is really the problem. Yeah.

It may not be the main problem, but it's one of the problems and blockchain is a realistic, good solution for that aspect and would absolutely help. Here are a couple looks at what that might look like:

https://peerj.com/preprints/3407.pdf
https://medium.com/@marcbhargava/a-bloc ... 7c1953055e

Oh, and a look at how dysfunctional the current registration system is: https://www.gq.com/story/inside-federal ... -many-guns

PostPosted: Tue Feb 20, 2018 9:18 pm 

Plato'sCave wrote:
Sefton wrote:
One of the podcasts I listen to is Click from the BBC World Service and It feels like every other feature has somebody eulogising how blockchains are going to fundamentally change their industry, it does remind me of the dot com 80’s with solid core underlying technology but with overblown expectations but then I’m an old fart now so there’s a good chance I’m talking shit.

It’s just a code encryption chain of data buckets that protection-buffers itself against quick creation and doesn’t require third party verification because it’s method of creation mitigates side-branch creation by verification of the timestamped single path from the genesis block. It’s a clever conduit that could carry any info.

Excellent description. :lol:

PostPosted: Tue Feb 20, 2018 9:21 pm 

sorCrer wrote:
Plato'sCave wrote:
Sefton wrote:

Thanks, I’m a software engineer, who does data mining and shit like that.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 20, 2018 9:51 pm 

Plato'sCave wrote:
sorCrer wrote:
Plato'sCave wrote:
Sefton wrote:

I'm a software engineer that does full stack. Developing an Android mobile application in React Native using Realm as the local data store talking to a .Net Core 2 WebAPI with MSSQL data store and a React browser based management tool.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 20, 2018 10:30 pm 

sorCrer wrote:
Plato'sCave wrote:
sorCrer wrote:
Plato'sCave wrote:
Sefton wrote:

I'm a software engineer that does full stack. Developing an Android mobile application in React Native using Realm as the local data store talking to a .Net Core 2 WebAPI with MSSQL data store and a React browser based management tool.

Cool. I do mainly integration, reporting, cube analytics and mining, stats and science, commonly in the Microsoft stack SSIS, SSAS and SSRS. But also do some python in anaconda, and then NumPy upwards, whatever package I need, it’s just like complicated Lego. I’m in defence platforms. But this shit works everywhere, Data is data, math is math. We all want to know what, when, where, to give us our whys, hows, when wills etc etc. Just finding the coal amongst the filth.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 20, 2018 10:48 pm 

You'll love these...

http://www.dancingbots.com

PostPosted: Tue Feb 20, 2018 10:49 pm 

No, maths is maths

PostPosted: Wed Feb 21, 2018 1:18 am 

https://theconversation.com/tulip-mania-the-classic-story-of-a-dutch-financial-bubble-is-mostly-wrong-91413?utm_content=buffer94a6e&utm_medium=social&utm_source=twitter.com&utm_campaign=buffer

PostPosted: Wed Feb 21, 2018 2:10 am 

The smugness and self-satisfaction with which people trot out the tulip analogy is one of the most grating things.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 21, 2018 2:33 am 

w0rdtothe3rd wrote:
The smugness and self-satisfaction with which people trot out the tulip analogy is one of the most grating things.

I thought this was kind of hilarious.

Quote:
Tulip mania wasn’t a frenzy, either. In fact, for much of the period trading was relatively calm, located in taverns and neighbourhoods rather than on the stock exchange. It also became increasingly organised, with companies set up in various towns to grow, buy, and sell, and committees of experts emerged to oversee the trade. Far from bulbs being traded hundreds of times, I never found a chain of buyers longer than five, and most were far shorter.

Like the existence of an exchange somehow validated the enterprize. :lol:

PostPosted: Wed Feb 21, 2018 9:14 am 

Its as if you are trying extra speshally hard to demonstrate the no coiner analogy above.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 21, 2018 11:50 am 

I must say, this has been a funny thread.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 21, 2018 11:53 am 

So the Venezuelan 'Petro' has been launch, and has apparently raised $750 million :lol:

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-cryp ... SKCN1G506F

Pegged to the price of a barrel of Venezuelan crude.

Who's in?

PostPosted: Wed Feb 21, 2018 11:58 am 

paddyor wrote:
w0rdtothe3rd wrote:

Quote:
Tulip mania wasn’t a frenzy, either. In fact, for much of the period trading was relatively calm, located in taverns and neighbourhoods rather than on the stock exchange. It also became increasingly organised, with companies set up in various towns to grow, buy, and sell, and committees of experts emerged to oversee the trade. Far from bulbs being traded hundreds of times, I never found a chain of buyers longer than five, and most were far shorter.

Debunking previous bubbles is important to coin investors it seems.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 21, 2018 12:00 pm 

bimboman wrote:
paddyor wrote:
w0rdtothe3rd wrote:

Quote:

Debunking previous bubbles is important to coin investors it seems.

I think we can safely say that Bitcoin isn't a bubble? It's new technology, possibly a way in which we change our thinking about commerce, and it's here to stay.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 21, 2018 12:14 pm 

Bullettyme wrote:
So the Venezuelan 'Petro' has been launch, and has apparently raised $750 million :lol:

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-cryp ... SKCN1G506F

Pegged to the price of a barrel of Venezuelan crude.

Who's in?

With the price of Venezuelan petrol US0.01 at the pump, what is the worth of the Venzuela Petro$ ?

PostPosted: Wed Feb 21, 2018 12:16 pm 

sorCrer wrote:
I think we can safely say that Bitcoin isn't a bubble? It's new technology, possibly a way in which we change our thinking about commerce, and it's here to stay.

Maybe our (SA) Reserve bank would like it to be a bubble. As probably our commercial banks.

I have a sneaking suspicion it is going to last ..

PostPosted: Tue Feb 27, 2018 1:48 am 

Very good interview/podcast with Ari David Paul, who runs a crypto-focused hedge fund: https://soundcloud.com/hiddenforces/how ... rofit-from

PostPosted: Tue Feb 27, 2018 4:12 am 

goeagles wrote:
Rumham wrote:
goeagles wrote:
A blockchain pretty clearly could be used for better gun registry record keeping. But keep on with your "Bitcoin is a scam and going to zero" crap.

Gun registry records is really the problem. Yeah.

It may not be the main problem, but it's one of the problems and blockchain is a realistic, good solution for that aspect and would absolutely help. Here are a couple looks at what that might look like:

https://peerj.com/preprints/3407.pdf
https://medium.com/@marcbhargava/a-bloc ... 7c1953055e

Oh, and a look at how dysfunctional the current registration system is: https://www.gq.com/story/inside-federal ... -many-guns

Registration for everything is dysfunctional. They can't keep track of where people live or have an accurate voter database.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2018 3:36 am 

paddyor wrote:
pontifex wrote:
Sorry mate. You don't understand it. First, no buyer of a 50cent album spent 7-8m on anything. I don't understand how you can make that mistake, but I'm guessing if you don't understand that, you won't understand the subsequent arguments.

Tut tut, Moving the goal posts now. You were making the argument that the transaction would increase the value of their (theoritical) other holdings. I.E they were happy to forego the gains of keeping the x amount of bitcoin because it was effectively an investment in the rest of their holding. Kind of the inverse of a share buy back.

FWIW, I think the whole story is bollox. LOOK EVERYBODY THIS GUY MADE 8M FROM 1 ALBUM SALE BY ACCEPTING BITCOIN!. Make no mistake, people are fucking stupid. Sure one fella on here was arguing that actually the buyers will have made out like bandits. It wouldn't surprise me in the least to discover that fiddy had a fortune on bitcoin and "blew it" down to 8m.

This held up well.....kind of. Fiddy now claiming in bankruptcy he has no Bitcoin at all and never did. Could be lying but I reckon it's the truth. I mean, if you were facing bankruptcy would you take a few bitcoin for promotion.....

PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2018 1:49 pm 

Quote:
Woori Bank successfully completed the overseas remittance test using the block chain technology of US start-up company 'Ripple'. The Digital Strategy Department, which is responsible for the test, expressed a positive attitude for introducing the technology in practice. As soon as possible, overseas remittances using the ripple solution will be commercialized this year. According to the SBI Group and Woori Bank on January 1, there are about 60 Japanese banks participating in the remittance test using this block chain technology. Among them, 37 banks participated in the overseas remittance test that Woori Bank participated in. The ripple network was well laid out in Japan, so Japanese banks were highly involved in the test. Non-Japanese banks included Woori Bank, Shinhan Bank and Siam Commercial Bank in Thailand.

In addition to Woori Bank, two or three Japanese commercial banks and Japanese Internet banking banks are positively considering introducing the technology into practice. A bank official said, "Since the test results were good, there are many banks to be commercialized in Japan," he said. "Several banks, such as two or three megabanks and Internet professional banks, are pushing to introduce the practice."

https://translate.google.com.au/transla ... rev=search

PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2018 6:37 pm 

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles ... t-done-yet

Looks like this may be partially or largely responsible for the crash. Sold all my BTC and ETH. Taking a break from crypto investing, but not learning, for a little bit until a few things run their course, including improved NVTs.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2018 2:36 am 

goeagles wrote:
https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2018-03-07/bitcoin-s-tokyo-whale-sold-400-million-and-he-s-not-done-yet

Looks like this may be partially or largely responsible for the crash. Sold all my BTC and ETH. Taking a break from crypto investing, but not learning, for a little bit until a few things run their course, including improved NVTs.

I imagine it's a waste of time for a n00b at this point?

PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2018 4:28 am 

Harveys wrote:
Quote:
Woori Bank successfully completed the overseas remittance test using the block chain technology of US start-up company 'Ripple'. The Digital Strategy Department, which is responsible for the test, expressed a positive attitude for introducing the technology in practice. As soon as possible, overseas remittances using the ripple solution will be commercialized this year. According to the SBI Group and Woori Bank on January 1, there are about 60 Japanese banks participating in the remittance test using this block chain technology. Among them, 37 banks participated in the overseas remittance test that Woori Bank participated in. The ripple network was well laid out in Japan, so Japanese banks were highly involved in the test. Non-Japanese banks included Woori Bank, Shinhan Bank and Siam Commercial Bank in Thailand.

In addition to Woori Bank, two or three Japanese commercial banks and Japanese Internet banking banks are positively considering introducing the technology into practice. A bank official said, "Since the test results were good, there are many banks to be commercialized in Japan," he said. "Several banks, such as two or three megabanks and Internet professional banks, are pushing to introduce the practice."

https://translate.google.com.au/transla ... rev=search

I actually head someone ramping Ripple in lobby at work yesterday.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2018 6:43 am 

Pat the Ex Mat wrote:
goeagles wrote:
https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2018-03-07/bitcoin-s-tokyo-whale-sold-400-million-and-he-s-not-done-yet

I imagine it's a waste of time for a n00b at this point?

Long term I still think it's a good investment but I wouldn't buy in right now. I would read and learn as much as possible so that when market conditions improve, you're ahead of 90% of retail investors in crypto. I'd start with this book: https://www.amazon.com/Cryptoassets-Inn ... 260026671/

PostPosted: Sat Mar 17, 2018 12:27 pm 

Not sure where to dump this, but this is an awesome article in the Guardian that really just writes itself, and has too many standout lines to quote separately. Read it in awe:

http://archive.fortune.com/magazines/fo ... /index.htm

It lead to me remembering, finally, after searching for some months, the name of a character who has disappeared down the dotcom memory hole but was perhaps the greatest flameout star of that short era: Ken Fox, of the brilliantly named 'Internet Capital Group'.

http://archive.fortune.com/magazines/fo ... /index.htm

Contrasting stories, around the same eternal theme of privileged young men in a hurry jostling for the spoils. The contrast being that whilst the Powder Mountain crew seem to be highly Jewish, with coked up Malibu parties and a comical attempt to shake off their inate lust for bling and the high life, the ICG crowd were uber-WASPs, unashamedly working nepotistic connections and old school Fortune 500 money. They seem more like Owen Wilson's hilarious turn as the McMansion owning Mr Perfect in Meet the Parents than the Joshua Hill character in many films that the Powder Mountain crew are playing.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2018 9:18 am 

When moon?

PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2018 9:26 am 

moon lambos soon

PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2018 9:28 am 

ukjim wrote:
moon lambos soon

I feel you player.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2018 10:03 am 

Long bear coming on here. Maybe 2 years. :nod:

PostPosted: Fri Mar 30, 2018 6:11 am 

sorCrer wrote:
Long bear coming on here. Maybe 2 years. :nod:

What are you using the project that far out? NVTs still looking pretty bad though.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 30, 2018 9:13 am 

Interesting generation millenials:

http://www.tonilane.com/bio

PostPosted: Fri Mar 30, 2018 9:16 am 

Which exchange/wallet got hacked last week ? Guy I work with lost everything and is dealing with a NZ regulator ...

PostPosted: Sat Mar 31, 2018 8:31 am 

sorCrer wrote:

No. It's a novelty use of public key encryption and nothing more.

As a technology, it has no general use for commerce or business outside a tiny, as yet unidentified, niche.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 31, 2018 8:37 am 

Seneca of the Night wrote:

Where do you find this shit :lol:

PostPosted: Sat Mar 31, 2018 8:41 am 

J Man wrote:
Seneca of the Night wrote:

Where do you find this shit :lol:

My eyes welled up when I read this;

Quote:
half lidded, morning eyes
open to a sunrise
who winks through sheer curtains
playful, I watch him grow
knowing in evening when
those eyes half lid again
I will watch my friend go
and again he will rise

Time becomes temporized
watching the horizon

I think of tomorrow

PostPosted: Sat Mar 31, 2018 12:11 pm 

Me defending my XRP position.

:P

PostPosted: Sat Mar 31, 2018 12:14 pm 

Harveys wrote:

Hodl and accumulate. :nod:

PostPosted: Sat Mar 31, 2018 12:15 pm 

sorCrer wrote:
Harveys wrote:

Hodl and accumulate. :nod:

He who owns the most of nothing wins.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 2227 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 48, 49, 50, 51, 52, 53, 54 ... 56  Next