Chat Forum
It is currently Sat Dec 15, 2018 3:04 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 747 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17 ... 19  Next
PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2018 8:52 am 

TheDocForgotHisLogon wrote:
SecretAgentMan wrote:
The Native wrote:
Hell of a game. Hell of a series so far.

Well done both teams.

:thumbup:

Yep, it's been great fun. Williamson showed big balls putting England in on that deck.

+1. Last ball game last time, 670 runs today.

Fine weather forecast for Saturday. :thumbup:

Better get the fridge stocked up.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2018 8:53 am 

The Native wrote:
TheDocForgotHisLogon wrote:
SecretAgentMan wrote:
The Native wrote:

Well done both teams.

Yep, it's been great fun. Williamson showed big balls putting England in on that deck.

+1. Last ball game last time, 670 runs today.

Fine weather forecast for Saturday. :thumbup:

I was listening to the game intermittently on Radiosport and Eion Morgan said he would've put the Black Caps in to bat if he had won the toss.

He said the same in the after match interview.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2018 9:05 am 

Got to mention how good it is to play such a respectful team like England with a class captain in Morgan.. great sportsmanship from both sides in this series

PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2018 9:11 am 

brat wrote:
Got to mention how good it is to play such a respectful team like England with a class captain in Morgan.. great sportsmanship from both sides in this series

I think Thomas too busy defending Little Davey Warner's honour in the Saffa v Aussie thread to be reading this.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2018 9:18 am 

That was a brilliant match winning innings from Taylor on one leg. Martin Crowe would be proud.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2018 9:26 am 

brat wrote:

You could see it in the way the players mingled as they walked off the field.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2018 9:53 am 

Brilliant win by NZ - I did say that England needed to post a really big score or they'd get chased down. They'll be kicking themselves for failing to get well beyond 350 - but it was a great fightback from NZ.

Sets things up nicely for the decider.

England NZ matches are always played in the true spirit of the game - great to see.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2018 9:59 am 

Kiwias wrote:
brat wrote:

You could see it in the way the players mingled as they walked off the field.

+1. And in the meantime Davey Dum-Dum is having to be held back in the stairwell. The Australians are a poison in the game.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2018 10:30 am 

Ross is going to have to skip the decider isn't he?

PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2018 10:32 am 

Woke up to the unexpected result - considering I got to bed when England were 140 odd for 1.

This has been a great series.

It has been class from both sides - played in a good spirit. Great advertisement for the game.

Deciding matches are always a great way to end a series.

Well done Rosco - Guptil and Munro owe the team a decent innings. Anyone else think that McCullum needs to be hired by NZC to get the BC's fielding back up to a standard?

PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2018 10:36 am 

Gazzamonster wrote:
Woke up to the unexpected result - considering I got to bed when England were 140 odd for 1.

It has been class from both sides - played in a good spirit. Great advertisement for the game.

Well done Rosco - Guptil and Munro owe the team a decent innings. Anyone else think that McCullum needs to be hired by NZC to get the BC's fielding back up to a standard?

Yes.. immediately

Heard he helped England a bit as well and they are much improved over all

Our fielding has really dropped since he left

PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2018 10:39 am 

brat wrote:
Gazzamonster wrote:

Yes.. immediately

Our bowling hasn't been the best it could be since Bond left, either.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2018 10:43 am 

Gazzamonster wrote:

Play hard, play fair, compete to win, then have a beer.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2018 10:50 am 

SecretAgentMan wrote:
brat wrote:
Gazzamonster wrote:

Yes.. immediately

Our bowling hasn't been the best it could be since Bond left, either.

Yep true

PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2018 11:23 am 

Love me a bit of Ross. He really puts it all on the line for the team. Still increasing his reputation and moving up the list of greatest Kiwi batsmen.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2018 11:33 am 

Gordon Bennett wrote:
Love me a bit of Ross. He really puts it all on the line for the team. Still increasing his reputation and moving up the list of greatest Kiwi batsmen.

He'd already be second to Crowe no?

I'm still blown away by that innings hours later.

To do that chasing 335, after coming in at 2/2, on one leg was phenomenal.

I was pretty critical of him when he was struggling a few years ago and thought he was shot mentally but I'm pretty glad to be scarfing down the humble pie.

That big 200 against Aus and Martin Crowe mentoring him really seemed to turn it around. Gutsy player.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2018 11:36 am 

RuggaBugga wrote:
Gordon Bennett wrote:

I was pretty critical of him when he was struggling a few years ago and thought he was shot mentally but I'm pretty glad to be scarfing down the humble pie.

That big 200 against Aus and Martin Crowe mentoring him really seemed to turn it around. Gutsy player.

Doesn't Fleming have the most runs ever by a Black Cap?

Heard on the radio Taylor is averaging 89 at home this season. That's pretty good.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2018 11:46 am 

RuggaBugga wrote:
Gordon Bennett wrote:

He's seems to get better and better.
That was the type of innings that only happens in dreams.

Last edited by BillW on Wed Mar 07, 2018 11:48 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2018 11:48 am 

RuggaBugga wrote:
Gordon Bennett wrote:

I think his eye issue was a lot worse than he let on. The fact that he was having trouble picking swing and spin - and yet he was still averaging high 40's......he is probably a gutsiest player NZ have ever produced.

I think he will be one of those players that when he retires people will realise what NZC have lost.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2018 11:51 am 

RuggaBugga wrote:

This. :thumbup:

PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2018 11:52 am 

The Native wrote:
RuggaBugga wrote:
Gordon Bennett wrote:

Heard on the radio Taylor is averaging 89 at home this season. That's pretty good.

Yeah but thats due the number of matches he played.

Taylor has a far superior average in both forms of the game (haven't looked at t20 because who cares) and a shitload more centuries as well. Fleming always struggled to kick on after reaching 50.

Edit: Add the fact that he's done that batting virtually his entire career at four which gives him less time in limited over cricket.

Last edited by RuggaBugga on Wed Mar 07, 2018 11:57 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2018 11:55 am 

Gazzamonster wrote:
RuggaBugga wrote:
Gordon Bennett wrote:

I think his eye issue was a lot worse than he let on. The fact that he was having trouble picking swing and spin - and yet he was still averaging high 40's......he is probably a gutsiest player NZ have ever produced.

I think he will be one of those players that when he retires people will realise what NZC have lost.

Yeah true on both counts.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2018 12:15 pm 

RuggaBugga wrote:
Gazzamonster wrote:
RuggaBugga wrote:
Gordon Bennett wrote:

Yeah true on both counts.

He's a high quality bat - and his batting is very easy on the eye.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2018 12:28 pm 

The Native wrote:
RuggaBugga wrote:
Gordon Bennett wrote:

ODIs:
http://stats.espncricinfo.com/newzealan ... ;type=team

Test matches:
http://stats.espncricinfo.com/newzealan ... ;type=team

PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2018 7:11 pm 

BBB wrote:
Jay Cee Gee wrote:
BBB wrote:
Jay Cee Gee wrote:
Tuisi, tuisi.

New Blues hooker?

It was a stupid thing said by one of the commentators during the recent test series when Taylor made a ton - saying 'too easy' but in a Samoan accent to add a touch of casual racism. The following morning the Hauraki breakfast radio spent 15 minutes or so taking the piss out of it.

Be careful JCG, that you know all the facts... Cumming said that in respect of Martin Crowe’s sometimes nickname for Taylor. Something about saying it to Taylor when he was battling form, when he was was in the zone he made things look so easy.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2018 7:21 pm 

mr bungle wrote:
BBB wrote:
Jay Cee Gee wrote:
BBB wrote:
Jay Cee Gee wrote:
Tuisi, tuisi.

New Blues hooker?

It was a stupid thing said by one of the commentators during the recent test series when Taylor made a ton - saying 'too easy' but in a Samoan accent to add a touch of casual racism. The following morning the Hauraki breakfast radio spent 15 minutes or so taking the piss out of it.

Be careful JCG, that you know all the facts... Cumming said that in respect of Martin Crowe’s sometimes nickname for Taylor. Something about saying it to Taylor when he was battling form, when he was was in the zone he made things look so easy.

Well, without wanting to go all SJW etc, that still sounds a wee bit racist on Crowe's part. I'm sure it didn't bother Taylor and it's not my place to be offended for someone else though, so fair enough.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2018 9:04 pm 

I'd imagine lots of poms went to bed when 400 was looking distinctly possible for them, then woke up to this. :D

PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2018 9:07 pm 

Andalu wrote:
I'd imagine lots of poms went to bed when 400 was looking distinctly possible for them, then woke up to this. :D

Yep. Probably a dozen of them at least.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2018 9:10 pm 

Seneca of the Night wrote:
Andalu wrote:

Senarky. :roll:

Around midnight UK was when they were peaking, the collapse was just after midnight. Even then it took an heroic effort to chase their total.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2018 9:36 pm 

Andalu wrote:
Andalu wrote:

Senarky. :roll:

Around midnight UK was when they were peaking, the collapse was just after midnight. Even then it took an heroic effort to chase their total.

You're totally, like, harshing the vibe, dude.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2018 9:43 pm 

Andalu wrote:

Yeah they probably all just stayed up all night on a weekday.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2018 10:49 pm 

Jay Cee Gee wrote:
mr bungle wrote:
BBB wrote:
Jay Cee Gee wrote:
BBB wrote:
New Blues hooker?

Well, without wanting to go all SJW etc, that still sounds a wee bit racist on Crowe's part. I'm sure it didn't bother Taylor and it's not my place to be offended for someone else though, so fair enough.

Crowe was his mentor, you berk. They were extremely close. :?

PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2018 10:54 pm 

The unsung hero of all of this is the eye surgeon. His form has certainly improved since his eye surgery.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2018 10:55 pm 

Would be interesting to see how guys like Crowe would have done with these newer bigger bats

PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2018 11:57 pm 

Did anyone see the tweet from Stephen Fleming?

PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2018 12:34 am 

Kiwias wrote:
Did anyone see the tweet from Stephen Fleming?

I wouldn't mind seeing him brought into our setup at some stage. He was a great captain. I always remember the two points field to Damien Martyn.

I guess he's minting it in the IPL though.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2018 12:37 am 

Isn't he the premier IPL coach or something? He'd be making a packet.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2018 12:52 am 

mr bungle wrote:
Crowe was his mentor, you berk. They were extremely close. :?

Er...yeah, I know - that's why I said I'm sure it didn't bother Taylor.

Having said that, and with the qualifier that I doubt many would find it offensive or a big deal, there's a bit of a difference between Crowe saying to Taylor and Cumming saying it on national broadcast. You can get away with some jokes with your mates or partner that you might not get away with to your boss or a stranger. So the fact that Crowe used to say something to Taylor in private doesn't necesarily excuse Cumming saying it to the wider public.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2018 1:52 am 

It's gotten lost a bit among Taylor's great innings, but Moeen Ali dropping a sitter off Latham was a huge moment. Would have been 100/4 at that point and probably game over. If England go on to lose the series, they'll look back on that moment (and the collapse, obviously).

PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2018 2:00 am 

SecretAgentMan wrote:
The Native wrote:

Well done both teams.

Naa Morgan said he would of put NZ in as well, seems the deck was better than either team thought.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 747 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17 ... 19  Next