Chat Forum
It is currently Sun Sep 23, 2018 6:54 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 353710 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 8285, 8286, 8287, 8288, 8289, 8290, 8291 ... 8843  Next
PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2018 9:21 pm 

Ruddock said Murphy was one of those players who was all arms and elbows and physically hard to play against.. something along those lines.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2018 9:34 pm 

YOYO wrote:
Ruddock said Murphy was one of those players who was all arms and elbows and physically hard to play against.. something along those lines.

That was one of the things he said. I can't remember his exact words but he seemed to rate him quite highly.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2018 9:36 pm 

I don't trust players about anything after Darren Cave said Matthew Rea was the one to watch coming through for Ulster.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2018 9:39 pm 

Flametop wrote:
So let’s talk possible back line replacements/injury subs and permutations/combos:

Murray off- straight swop for Marmion.

Sexton off- straight swop for Joey.

Aki off- tricky, no direct sub or same type of player.
Possibilities- Sexton to 12, Joey on at 10. Second playmaker on pitch.
Stockdale to centre with Ringrose, Larmour on wing. (Who plays 12/13?)
Larmour to 13 (he says it’s his favourite position), Ringrose to 12. (A waste of Ringrose?)

Ringrose off- (I’m not entertaining Earls to 13)
Straight swop for Larmour. (See above)
Stockdale to 13, Larmour to wing.
Joey to 12, Aki to 13. (Second playmaker on field)

Earls off, Larmour to wing.
Joey to wing at a stretch.

Kearney off- all 30 players open up a beer.
But seriously:
Joey on. Second playmaker and broken field runner.
Larmour on. Red panty night.

I hate to disillusion you but if Ringrose or Aki go down I’m fairly sure Earls will go straight to 13, which nobody wants to see, but there is no way Joe is going to trust Stockdale in one of the most important and most difficult defensive positions on the park.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2018 9:42 pm 

unseenwork wrote:
I don't trust players about anything after Darren Cave said Matthew Rea was the one to watch coming through for Ulster.

In this first autobiography BOD said England’s Ollie Smith was one to watch. I didn’t/don’t know much about Ollie Smith but I remember the praise, and also remember hearing very little about Ollie Smith in the intervening years.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2018 9:45 pm 

danthefan wrote:
YOYO wrote:

That was one of the things he said. I can't remember his exact words but he seemed to rate him quite highly.

Seemingly he like’s a good maul too.
How he is able to manage a medicine career and pro rugby is partically down to his strict discipline and excellent time efficiency. Obviously a very sharpe individual.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2018 9:48 pm 

great team and assuming he hasn't eaten his family sob will be a nice boost paddys day

PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2018 10:06 pm 

camroc1 wrote:
bessantj wrote:
"Irish" people

C/D?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x-64CaD8GXw

Hmm, they're a Boston band. You'll have to have a look at any rugby teams in the area.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2018 10:22 pm 

YOYO wrote:
unseenwork wrote:

In this first autobiography BOD said England’s Ollie Smith was one to watch. I didn’t/don’t know much about Ollie Smith but I remember the praise, and also remember hearing very little about Ollie Smith in the intervening years.

Tbf, he did go on a Lions tour!

PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2018 10:26 pm 

Just back from Ravenhill. Not a lot to report in truth albeit Schmidt has apparently some input into our new coaching hire and Logan is giving a interview in the coming days (about what wasn't specified)

PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2018 10:27 pm 

YOYO wrote:
unseenwork wrote:

Decent player who never kicked on. Does have a Lion's test cap (and try) so BOD was hardly talking completely out of his arse. I presume that was his bio after 2005?

PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2018 10:28 pm 

DiscoHips D'Arcy wrote:
Just back from Ravenhill. Not a lot to report in truth albeit Schmidt has apparently some input into our new coaching hire and Logan is giving a interview in the coming days (about what wasn't specified)

Did he say who was running the review?

PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2018 10:30 pm 

DiscoHips D'Arcy wrote:

Did nobody ask whats going to happen to the top shaggers if acquitted?

PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2018 10:30 pm 

Smith was a good player who suffered from being there in that poor England era (particularly with centre selection, Noon, Erinle, Hape, Flutey etc.) and injuries.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2018 10:32 pm 

DiscoHips D'Arcy wrote:

Jackson and Olding?
Van Der Merwe?
Who is replacing Piutau?
Why is the pack garbage?

PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2018 10:33 pm 

unseenwork wrote:
DiscoHips D'Arcy wrote:

Apparently its an outside agency but they will report to the Management committee (at least i think i got that right). The girl kept saying thats they have to operate within the structures which the IRFU allow so this is doing that. Maybe Logan goes but most blazers hang around i honestly dont know. A lot of ones slabbering (rightly) about Logan but after the fourth or fifth time when you knew they weren't going to say anything of note on him people really should have moved on.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2018 10:34 pm 

Dan Tuohy after signing for Stade Francais as a medical joker.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2018 10:35 pm 

DiscoHips D'Arcy wrote:
unseenwork wrote:
DiscoHips D'Arcy wrote:

Apparently its an outside agency but they will report to the Management committee (at least i think i got that right). The girl kept saying thats they have to operate within the structures which the IRFU allow so this is doing that. Maybe Logan goes but most blazers hang around i honestly dont know. A lot of ones slabbering (rightly) about Logan but after the fourth or fifth time when you knew they weren't going to say anything of note on him people really should have moved on.

The whole Logan angle has been a bit of a dead end for me, I've always doubted whether he has much impact beyond the running of the commercial aspects of things.

That the review is being run externally is good, that they're responding to the board and not the IRFU, not so good.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2018 10:40 pm 

CM11 wrote:
YOYO wrote:
unseenwork wrote:

Decent player who never kicked on. Does have a Lion's test cap (and try) so BOD was hardly talking completely out of his arse. I presume that was his bio after 2005?

Must have been!

PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2018 10:44 pm 

earl the beaver wrote:
DiscoHips D'Arcy wrote:

Jackson and Olding?
Van Der Merwe?
Who is replacing Piutau?
Why is the pack garbage?

He spoke about Jackson and Olding at the start so no questions really on it. Basically just highlighted how its been very difficult on the squad and when asked if all pros drink that much he sort of said thats maybe a generational thing.
The sense was that no signings will be seriously looked at without new coach. That seems to be the focus.
VDM- basically stated that as a project there was limited options and the video they had of him was primarily lions based when they were a good scrummaging unit. Was pressed on VDM and Deysel and stated they are both aware that their performances aren't good enough but he didnt say what would happen if that continued.

Mentioned not just the talent in leinster but the competitiveness that permeates the squad, especially when bringing the younger guys through. Says that even in scenarios where the talent may not be massively different he says the culture of competition that Leinster have created leads to a serious gap when entering the pro ranks.

He broke down the squad into a few groups. NIQS - basically we are 1 from 4. (we are allowed 5 including 1 project he says). Piutau class. Coetzee unlucky, other two not good enough.

Over 30's - these guys need to be first 23 players due to experience and we have 1 thirty-something who matches that, Best.
26-29 - says these are the years the academy or Ulster f**ked up bringing no one through really. Should be players in or approaching peak and again making the first 23. He said there were 2 guys. I assume one is Marshall. Dont know who else.

Under 25's - Good proportion of our best players are young so its positive but wants us to siphon off journeymen or deadwood (not his words) so that its actually the academy guys augmenting the first team in nearly all 2/3rd choice positions and not the squad fillers.

Said next season would be a slog aswell.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2018 10:55 pm 

DiscoHips D'Arcy wrote:
earl the beaver wrote:
DiscoHips D'Arcy wrote:

Jackson and Olding?
Van Der Merwe?
Who is replacing Piutau?
Why is the pack garbage?

He spoke about Jackson and Olding at the start so no questions really on it. Basically just highlighted how its been very difficult on the squad and when asked if all pros drink that much he sort of said thats maybe a generational thing.
The sense was that no signings will be seriously looked at without new coach. That seems to be the focus.
VDM- basically stated that as a project there was limited options and the video they had of him was primarily lions based when they were a good scrummaging unit. Was pressed on VDM and Deysel and stated they are both aware that their performances aren't good enough but he didnt say what would happen if that continued.

Mentioned not just the talent in leinster but the competitiveness that permeates the squad, especially when bringing the younger guys through. Says that even in scenarios where the talent may not be massively different he says the culture of competition that Leinster have created leads to a serious gap when entering the pro ranks.

He broke down the squad into a few groups. NIQS - basically we are 1 from 4. (we are allowed 5 including 1 project he says). Piutau class. Coetzee unlucky, other two not good enough.

Over 30's - these guys need to be first 23 players due to experience and we have 1 thirty-something who matches that, Best.
26-29 - says these are the years the academy or Ulster f**ked up bringing no one through really. Should be players in or approaching peak and again making the first 23. He said there were 2 guys. I assume one is Marshall. Dont know who else.

Under 25's - Good proportion of our best players are young so its positive but wants us to siphon off journeymen or deadwood (not his words) so that its actually the academy guys augmenting the first team in nearly all 2/3rd choice positions and not the squad fillers.

That should get season ticket sales up :lol:

In fairness to Bryn it must have taken a fair amount of balls to face the angry mob, and his answers seem to lack the usual bullshit we are used to from Kiss and Logan.

We just need to base the squad around the young uns and not the Diacks/Ross'es/Warwicks of this world.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2018 10:58 pm 

Jim Lahey wrote:
DiscoHips D'Arcy wrote:
earl the beaver wrote:
DiscoHips D'Arcy wrote:

Jackson and Olding?
Van Der Merwe?
Who is replacing Piutau?
Why is the pack garbage?

That should get season ticket sales up :lol:

In fairness to Bryn it must have taken a fair amount of balls to face the angry mob, and his answers seem to lack the usual bullshit we are used to from Kiss and Logan.

We just need to base the squad around the young uns and not the Diacks/Ross'es/Warwicks of this world.

I bet they think of Warwick as one of those younguns still.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2018 11:40 pm 

DiscoHips D'Arcy wrote:

Sounds familiar....

Quote:
We’ve referenced Toulouse’s idealised squad breakdown before – one-third foreigners, one-third French players from other clubs, one-third Espoirs from the youth system – but Irish squads have specific limitations in recruiting compared to their French or English counterparts. And no province [or franchise, or region, or club] can get everything right with their player retention, or even the day-to-day management of personnel. Leinster decided that Tadhg Beirne wasn’t worth the candle and let him take the ferry to Holyhead, while Munster successfully contrived to half-ruin J.J. Hanrahan’s career. It happens. From the organisation’s perspective, it’s important to minimise the damage and learn from it, but you can’t hope to avoid it forever.

Beyond the production and management of your own academy prospects, one of the places where there’s room for manoeuvre is in finding Irish-heritage players, be it in Europe or further afield.

https://dementedmole.com/2018/03/04/its-grim-up-north-ulsters-malaise/

PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2018 11:59 pm 

Nolanator wrote:
Diego wrote:
earl the beaver wrote:
Some impact of the bench but Hendy has been excellent for Ulster and Ireland so think that's harsh.

Toner and Ryan have both been excellent too. I would have picked Hendo but it's close enough.

Hendie definitely brings more off the bench than Toner.

Henderson could be saving himself for a huge 80mins vs England.

At the RWC he really struggled with fatique, was out on his feet in the QF

PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2018 1:22 am 

Willie Falloon wrote:
Nolanator wrote:
Diego wrote:
earl the beaver wrote:
Some impact of the bench but Hendy has been excellent for Ulster and Ireland so think that's harsh.

Toner and Ryan have both been excellent too. I would have picked Hendo but it's close enough.

Hendie definitely brings more off the bench than Toner.

Henderson could be saving himself for a huge 80mins vs England.

At the RWC he really struggled with fatique, was out on his feet in the QF

Joe has always played "mix and match" since his first season at Leinster. He mightn't have had the player resources to do it so blatently until this season, but it is no judgement on the players rotated. He just uses different payers for different jobs.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2018 1:32 am 

DiscoHips D'Arcy wrote:

L Marshall is 27, Henderson & Gilroy 26.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2018 4:25 am 

Yer Man wrote:
DiscoHips D'Arcy wrote:

L Marshall is 27, Henderson & Gilroy 26.

He's one out there then but i dont know who else

PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2018 9:57 am 

Leinster Senior Squad broken down by those categories:

NIQ's
Scott Fardy(33), Isa Nacewa(35), Jamison Gibson Park(26), James Lowe(25).

30+
Jonathan Sexton(32), Richardt Strauss(32)
Sean Cronin(31), Michael Bent(31), Devin Toner(31), Sean O'Brien(31), Fergus McFadden(31), Rob Kearney(31)
Cian Healy(30)

26-29
Ian Nagle(29)
Jack McGrath(28), Dave Kearney(28)
Rhys Ruddock(27), Noel Reid(27)
Jordi Murphy(26), James Tracy(26), Mick Kearney(26), Cathal Marsh(26)

22-25
Luke McGrath(25), Jack Conan(25), Tadhg Furlong(25), Barry Daly(25)
Robbie Henshaw(24), Josh Van Der Flier(24), Rory O'Loughlin(24), Ed Byrne(24), Bryan Byrne(24), Peadar Timmins(24), Tom Daly(24)
Dan Leavy(23), Garry Ringrose(23), Adam Byrne(23), Ross Molony(23), Peter Dooley(23), Josh Murphy(23), Charlie Rock(23), Oisin Heffernan(23)
Joey Carbery(22), Ross Byrne(22), Andrew Porter(22), Nick McCarthy(22), Vakh Abdaladze(22), Conor O'Brien(22)

21 and under
James Ryan(21), Max Deegan(21), Adam Coyle(21), Will Connors(21), Hugo Keenan(21)
Jordan Larmour(20), Ciaran Frawley(20)

Last edited by irishrugbyua on Fri Mar 09, 2018 10:37 am, edited 2 times in total.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2018 10:10 am 

That 22-25 bracket for Leinster is something else.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2018 10:14 am 

Lenny wrote:
Flametop wrote:
So let’s talk possible back line replacements/injury subs and permutations/combos:

Murray off- straight swop for Marmion.

Sexton off- straight swop for Joey.

Aki off- tricky, no direct sub or same type of player.
Possibilities- Sexton to 12, Joey on at 10. Second playmaker on pitch.
Stockdale to centre with Ringrose, Larmour on wing. (Who plays 12/13?)
Larmour to 13 (he says it’s his favourite position), Ringrose to 12. (A waste of Ringrose?)

Ringrose off- (I’m not entertaining Earls to 13)
Straight swop for Larmour. (See above)
Stockdale to 13, Larmour to wing.
Joey to 12, Aki to 13. (Second playmaker on field)

Earls off, Larmour to wing.
Joey to wing at a stretch.

Kearney off- all 30 players open up a beer.
But seriously:
Joey on. Second playmaker and broken field runner.
Larmour on. Red panty night.

I hate to disillusion you but if Ringrose or Aki go down I’m fairly sure Earls will go straight to 13, which nobody wants to see, but there is no way Joe is going to trust Stockdale in one of the most important and most difficult defensive positions on the park.

Larmour it is then.

:thumbup:

PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2018 10:15 am 

Nagle is 29?! :uhoh:

PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2018 10:16 am 

Diego wrote:

Yeah 30 by years end.

Surely on his last contract with Leinster.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2018 10:21 am 

irishrugbyua wrote:
Diego wrote:

Yeah 30 by years end.

You'd feckin hope so. Zero upside.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2018 10:27 am 

Diego wrote:
irishrugbyua wrote:
Diego wrote:

Yeah 30 by years end.

You'd feckin hope so. Zero upside.

:thumbup:

Loads of second rows with upside in academy system:

Oisin Dowling(20/Lansdowne) - 1.96/105kg
Cormac Daly(19/Clontarf) - 1.98/111kg
Jack Dunne(19/DUFC) - 2.01/110kg
Charlie Ryan(19/UCD) - 2.01/108kg

With the best prospect of the lot in 6th year(Ryan Baird).

PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2018 10:34 am 

Nervous about this Leinster game.

We're going to cruise the game tomorrow.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2018 10:40 am 

danthefan wrote:

25 and under:

Byrne, Byrne, Furlong, Ryan, Molony, Leavy, VDF, Conan, McGrath, Byrne, Daly, Henshaw, Ringrose, Larmour, Carbery

PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2018 10:41 am 

CM11 wrote:
danthefan wrote:

25 and under:

Byrne, Byrne, Furlong, Ryan, Molony, Leavy, VDF, Conan, McGrath, Byrne, Daly, Henshaw, Ringrose, Larmour, Carbery

I fúcking knew Statto and Rua were the same bloke.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2018 10:51 am 

Am I crazy for thinking that Wayne Barnes reffing tomorrow might actually suit Ireland more than Scotland?
Discounting the fact that Wayne can change his mind at half time about what laws he is going to enforce/ignore and the fact that Ireland have a very poor record with him:

1. Scotland don’t have a great record with him either
2. Barnes usually favours the side who get over the gainline. He doesn’t allow much of a contest on the deck. (That is until he changes his mind)

Barnes sets out his stall early. He’s pedantic about tacklers rolling away and calls ruck as soon as a tackle is made. If Ireland can get our big runners going early I can see Scotland coughing up some penalties.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2018 10:54 am 

He could be good for Ireland playing keep ball. Doesn't mean we'll have a particularly good score for the number of phases in possession, but could help cause Scotland to tire.

That's provided we have enough of the ball and gainline successes, obviously.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2018 10:56 am 

There will also be very few if any choke tackles as Barnes doesn't like them and insists that mauls are tackles.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 353710 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 8285, 8286, 8287, 8288, 8289, 8290, 8291 ... 8843  Next