Chat Forum
It is currently Tue Dec 18, 2018 12:01 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 23425 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 539, 540, 541, 542, 543, 544, 545 ... 586  Next
PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2018 4:51 pm 

Lorthern Nights wrote:
Big D wrote:
Alba wrote:
A little bit of chat here about the potential Newcastle Falcons partnership - it sounds more like the French deal than anything else.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/rugby-union/43473255

Dodson also goes in hard on resistance to the Super 6. I can't say I know enough about it to understand the criticism that it seems to be getting, but I don't think Dodson will win many friends with his attitude. Perhaps that is what is needed at this stage though, to clear out the blazers and hangers-on'ers that seem to have so much sway over rugby here.

I was at a meeting where an interested party in the Caley region presented their plans. Was very interesting.

The SRU are apparently already receiving notes from potential sponsors.

Expected that most if not all 6 will retain teams in prem rugby (or wherever they come from).

Confident, and the SRU fella was extremely confident there will be 6 viable teams covering all 4 regions. They seem tonne expecting 7 or 8 bids but I may have picked him up wrong. He said 13 notes of interest and he wouldn't name them (correctly so).

Looking increasingly likely 1 bid from Caley region.
Possibly 1 or 2 bids from Borders. Have heard Melrose mentioned.
Possibly as many as 4 bids from Edinburgh.

Note of interest and making a bid are two different things...

Be interested to know who from Caley was bidding as i have heard rumblings up here but it was an amalgamation bid being mooted but i think it has struggled to get any real impetus as the vested interests in the individual clubs are possibly scuppering it. Which would then leave Dundee High and Stirling County i reckon... outside bet of Howe/Kircaldy

From the weegies i could see Ayr, West or Hawks taking a punt

Definitely see Melrose as they have the funds from the 7's to make a go of it second would be Gala.

Embra has so many options from Watsonians, Muir, Currie, Heriots nevermind Stew Mel, Edin Accies or a plethora of other clubs.

I agree that notes of interest and bids are clearly different things.

There is also a difference between being confident because he has been involved in several meetings rather than being confident due the chaps hubris. It appeared confidence based on fact.

Don't want to openly name the Caley team as it's not a bid or club I am involved in.

Edit: Can't PM you on here apparently but the information given in the room was that there isnt a bid coming from Aberdeen.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2018 6:59 pm 

Big D wrote:
Lorthern Nights wrote:
Big D wrote:
Alba wrote:
A little bit of chat here about the potential Newcastle Falcons partnership - it sounds more like the French deal than anything else.

Dodson also goes in hard on resistance to the Super 6. I can't say I know enough about it to understand the criticism that it seems to be getting, but I don't think Dodson will win many friends with his attitude. Perhaps that is what is needed at this stage though, to clear out the blazers and hangers-on'ers that seem to have so much sway over rugby here.

I was at a meeting where an interested party in the Caley region presented their plans. Was very interesting.

Expected that most if not all 6 will retain teams in prem rugby (or wherever they come from).

Confident, and the SRU fella was extremely confident there will be 6 viable teams covering all 4 regions. They seem tonne expecting 7 or 8 bids but I may have picked him up wrong. He said 13 notes of interest and he wouldn't name them (correctly so).

Be interested to know who from Caley was bidding as i have heard rumblings up here but it was an amalgamation bid being mooted but i think it has struggled to get any real impetus as the vested interests in the individual clubs are possibly scuppering it. Which would then leave Dundee High and Stirling County i reckon... outside bet of Howe/Kircaldy

Definitely see Melrose as they have the funds from the 7's to make a go of it second would be Gala.

Embra has so many options from Watsonians, Muir, Currie, Heriots nevermind Stew Mel, Edin Accies or a plethora of other clubs.

There is also a difference between being confident because he has been involved in several meetings rather than being confident due the chaps hubris. It appeared confidence based on fact.

Don't want to openly name the Caley team as it's not a bid or club I am involved in.

Edit: Can't PM you on here apparently but the information given in the room was that there isnt a bid coming from Aberdeen.

Cheers and understand. I’m disappointed there isn’t but not surprised either, the clubs are choking on the rates revalue up here as well with, I know one of them definitely selling their clubhouse and another thinking about it so there is a lot against them contemplating taking a punt like this.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2018 7:41 pm 

Lorthern Nights wrote:
Big D wrote:
Lorthern Nights wrote:
Big D wrote:
Alba wrote:

Cheers and understand. I’m disappointed there isn’t but not surprised either, the clubs are choking on the rates revalue up here as well with, I know one of them definitely selling their clubhouse and another thinking about it so there is a lot against them contemplating taking a punt like this.

When Aberdeenshire withdrew from the leagues I thought it would be unlikely to have a bid unless Grammar really wanted to.

I'd love to have seen a fife bid but the club's aren't high enough up the leagues and the money isn't there.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2018 8:10 pm 

Right, cocks on the block. Predictions for the six

Melrose
A Dundee franchise including Dundee HSFP and the universities
Ayr
Currie with Heriot Watt
Glasgow Hawks
Watsonians with Edinburgh uni

PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2018 9:27 pm 

Biffer29 wrote:

Melrose
Ayr
Currie with Heriot Watt
Glasgow Hawks

Think that will be about right. And maybe a bid from heriots?

PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2018 9:09 am 

It's disappointing but predictable that the borders probably won't get a combined side together. It's, what, 25km from Gala to Hawick with Melrose and Selkirk both broadly in between - that's 4 Prem 1 teams and a brilliant playing pool. I've already heard the old 'grumble grumble I won't watch Melrose play, grumble grumble I wouldn't play for them' shite from a number of family and friends. It really is sad.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2018 10:29 am 

Big D wrote:
Biffer29 wrote:

Melrose
Ayr
Currie with Heriot Watt
Glasgow Hawks

Will Accies not have a shot? Would be fairly mad to build that new stadium and not be at the top table - unless plans afoot with Edinburgh Rugby.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2018 11:29 am 

slick wrote:
Big D wrote:
Biffer29 wrote:

Melrose
Ayr
Currie with Heriot Watt
Glasgow Hawks

Will Accies not have a shot? Would be fairly mad to build that new stadium and not be at the top table - unless plans afoot with Edinburgh Rugby.

I've never been convinced by the Edinburgh to Raeburn rumours. The opprobrium from the local community would be a huge challenge in my view. There are some very influential people in the circles that oppose the existing development I believe.

As an aside, I know a few people in the community around Murrayfield too who are vehemently opposed to the SRU accommodating the SFA for international matches and club finals - it'll be interesting to see if their voices are heard should Murrayfield become the preferred venue. I can see where they are coming from - apparently the mess left by rugby fans is already a disgrace (the clean up operation does not extend to the front gardens of those affected for instance). Having 50,000 pissed up old firm fans pissing in their doorways and abusing their families is a whole other level.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2018 11:42 am 

Alba wrote:
It's disappointing but predictable that the borders probably won't get a combined side together. It's, what, 25km from Gala to Hawick with Melrose and Selkirk both broadly in between - that's 4 Prem 1 teams and a brilliant playing pool. I've already heard the old 'grumble grumble I won't watch Melrose play, g rumble grumble I wouldn't play for them' shite from a number of family and friends. It really is sad.

It'll come back to bite them in the arse. If a young guy has some ambition to play pro, is he going to play for the only semi pro team in the area or stick with amateurs? Melrose may end up sweeping up all the talent.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2018 5:25 pm 

Biffer29 wrote:
Alba wrote:
It's disappointing but predictable that the borders probably won't get a combined side together. It's, what, 25km from Gala to Hawick with Melrose and Selkirk both broadly in between - that's 4 Prem 1 teams and a brilliant playing pool. I've already heard the old 'grumble grumble I won't watch Melrose play, g rumble grumble I wouldn't play for them' shite from a number of family and friends. It really is sad.

It'll come back to bite them in the arse. If a young guy has some ambition to play pro, is he going to play for the only semi pro team in the area or stick with amateurs? Melrose may end up sweeping up all the talent.

Apparently A big sticking point for a borders bid was a home ground. They wanted a team to play at different borders grounds and I believe the criteria is forma single home venue bar exceptional circumstances like Currie playing at Oriam due to snow.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2018 9:53 pm 

Match preview for Glasgow v Zebre tomorrow night:

https://wp.me/p68WtH-7XL

Some handy players coming off the injury list at the right time for the run-in to the end of the season. Rennie's selection issues may flip from trying to scratch a team together to trying to accommodate all his available options!

PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2018 12:11 am 

Quote:
...........there is still uncertainty about another front-row forward, Alasdair Dickinson, who has not played since breaking a foot last season and also undergoing shoulder surgery while rehabbing that injury. “He’s had some serious injuries, so we must make sure he’s dead right before he comes back into playing,” Cockerill said of the 34-year-old prop. “It’s hard to say when he’ll be back. He has to prove to himself that he is ready to come back and play and be confident.

“The union and the club are supportive and when he feels comfortable to come back he will. Maybe there will be another decision he needs to make further down the line, but we’re not there yet.

“He’s a very experienced player who has done a lot for Scottish rugby. It’s right we are patient with him so he can make the right choice, whether that is playing again or not playing again. He’s had a lot of serious injuries and he’s still a young man, so it has to be right for him.”

https://theoffsideline.com/edinburgh-ru ... on-climax/

It does sound like there is doubt about Dickinson coming back (not too much surprise after so long), but there does seem to be a hint that the issue is as much one of desire to come back as ability to.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2018 10:28 am 

Not surprising, you would be seriously assessing your options at that stage. Shame. Seemed he had just come into his prime and then got burst for years.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2018 10:30 pm 

Embra ground out a solid away win at Connacht and Glasgow scored 10 tries v Zebre. Not a bad Friday night. Shame the footballers are losing to Costa Rica, but then McLeish has convinced all the doubters he is indeed a massive cretin with his squad selection.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2018 10:31 pm 

Good wins for Embra at Connacht and the Weegies squeak home against the Italians.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2018 10:32 pm 

Doc Rob wrote:
Embra ground out a solid away win at Connacht and Glasgow scored 10 tries v Zebre. Not a bad Friday night. Shame the footballers are losing to Costa Rica, but then McLeish has convinced all the doubters he is indeed a massive cretin with his squad selection.

And Weir made it look like the wrong 10 is going, I've not seen him play that well for a long time.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2018 10:55 pm 

Edinburgh01 wrote:
Doc Rob wrote:

And Weir made it look like the wrong 10 is going, I've not seen him play that well for a long time.

Still think Weir could do a job for Scotland. He’ll never get the backs moving like Russell can, but he’s a hell of an option to close out a tight game.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2018 10:58 pm 

Doc Rob wrote:
Edinburgh01 wrote:
Doc Rob wrote:

Still think Weir could do a job for Scotland. He’ll never get the backs moving like Russell can, but he’s a hell of an option to close out a tight game.

Tonight was a good example. Came on, played the percentages, kicked well and kept Connacht pinned back in places they were unlikely to score from. He'll never be flash, but this was the kind of controlled play that made him a Scotland regular in the past.

Having said the, he was poor for a good bit for Edinburgh and is only now finding his feet too late.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2018 11:00 pm 

Edinburgh01 wrote:
Doc Rob wrote:
Edinburgh01 wrote:
Doc Rob wrote:

Tonight was a good example. Came on, played the percentages, kicked well and kept Connacht pinned back in places they were unlikely to score from. He'll never be flash, but this was the kind of controlled play that made him a Scotland regular in the past.

Having said the, he was poor for a good bit for Edinburgh and is only now finding his feet too late.

Agreed. If he had played like this from the start he wouldn’t be leaving now.

He is basically the anti-Russell. Solid, unspectacular, will do the simple things well. (Well, right now at least)

PostPosted: Sat Mar 24, 2018 2:47 am 

'Right now' is the correct phrase. He had some extraordinarily flaky spells where he put every foot wrong.

Hopefully this continues for him, but unless he starts games through injury and performs the same, just too late.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 24, 2018 9:53 am 

Troll wrote:
'Right now' is the correct phrase. He had some extraordinarily flaky spells where he put every foot wrong.

Hopefully this continues for him, but unless he starts games through injury and performs the same, just too late.

I hope he keeps putting in performances like this for Edinburgh until he goes. I can't see him being kept no matter how well he plays as I expect the budget and plans fr next year are set, but the better he plays the more likely he is to get a decent contract elsewhere. He has been a good servant for Scottish rugby and he is still a young man, plenty of time for him to realise his potential.

Who knows, Glasgow do seem to be re-forming the old band.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 24, 2018 9:58 am 

Edinburgh01 wrote:
Doc Rob wrote:

The other player that stood out is also going - John Hardie. Great shift from him.

But Nathan Fowles x(

PostPosted: Sat Mar 24, 2018 11:23 am 

zt1903 wrote:
Edinburgh01 wrote:
Doc Rob wrote:

The other player that stood out is also going - John Hardie. Great shift from him.

But Nathan Fowles x(

Hardie was excellent indeed.

Hope he finds a good club elsewhere.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 24, 2018 11:42 am 

6 wins on the bounce for embra :thumbup:

Cockers seems to be exactly the right appointment, give the fannies a bit of much needed grit. Be great to have both teams in the big boy comp next year if they make it

PostPosted: Sat Mar 24, 2018 11:43 am 

zt1903 wrote:
Edinburgh01 wrote:
Doc Rob wrote:

But Nathan Fowles x(

Yet to see a performance from fowles that I’ve thought was passable, really need a decent 9

PostPosted: Sat Mar 24, 2018 2:33 pm 

dargotronV.1 wrote:
zt1903 wrote:
Edinburgh01 wrote:
Doc Rob wrote:

But Nathan Fowles x(

Hardie was excellent indeed.

Hope he finds a good club elsewhere.

Sure I heard that he was off to Montpellier.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 25, 2018 10:07 am 

Lorthern Nights wrote:

Cockers seems to be exactly the right appointment, give the fannies a bit of much needed grit. Be great to have both teams in the big boy comp next year if they make it

Only 5 points off Leinster, 2 behind scarlets. With 3 homes games remaining, 1 of which is against Scarlets, there's a decent chance they could come second in the conference, which would not only give them a home semi and a champions cup spot, but would represent a fantastic achievement, when you consider where they were at the start of the season.

Edit- second place would mean a home semi v Cheetahs on current positioning, but could still end up as Cardiff or Munster depending on how Cheetahs get on at home v those two teams in the next two rounds

PostPosted: Sun Mar 25, 2018 10:34 am 

dargotronV.1 wrote:
Lorthern Nights wrote:

Only 5 points off Leinster, 2 behind scarlets. With 3 homes games remaining, 1 of which is against Scarlets, there's a decent chance they could come second in the conference, which would not only give them a home semi and a champions cup spot, but would represent a fantastic achievement, when you consider where they were at the start of the season.

Edit- second place would mean a home semi v Cheetahs on current positioning, but could still end up as Cardiff or Munster depending on how Cheetahs get on at home v those two teams in the next two rounds

As a long suffering Edinburgh supporter, where they are now is barely believable. In the past, in the unlikely event of Edinburgh being in this position, you just know they'd proceed to lose all their remaining games and blow it. Now they seem to have strength of character to see this through even though Ulster, Llanelli and Glasgow is a tough run in.

I've not done the maths, but I'll take Disco's word for it that any win v Ulster sees Edinburgh into the finals. Which would then take the pressure off the next game and they can throw the kitchen sink at Llanelli without the pressure of a must win game.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 25, 2018 10:41 am 

Just checked Ulster's run in. They have a 13 point gap to make up and Edinburgh away, Ospreys home, Glasgow home and Munster away in which to do it.

In addition to Edinburgh away, the Llanelli have Glasgow at home and the Dragons away.

So Glasgow will have a big say in the outcome of both tables. Go Glasgow! except when they play Edinburgh when I hope they have an inexplicable collapse in form.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 25, 2018 11:10 am 

Edinburgh01 wrote:
dargotronV.1 wrote:
Lorthern Nights wrote:

As a long suffering Edinburgh supporter, where they are now is barely believable. In the past, in the unlikely event of Edinburgh being in this position, you just know they'd proceed to lose all their remaining games and blow it. Now they seem to have strength of character to see this through even though Ulster, Llanelli and Glasgow is a tough run in.

I've not done the maths, but I'll take Disco's word for it that any win v Ulster sees Edinburgh into the finals. Which would then take the pressure off the next game and they can throw the kitchen sink at Llanelli without the pressure of a must win game.

in a combined (regular) league format, Edinburgh would be fourth in the league at the moment, with Glasgow top. Pretty darn decent.

Win the Ulster game and it's goodnight Nordies. Even if they lost, it would take a dramatic turnaround in form to see Ulster take the necessary points to further put the pressure on.

Then throw the kitchen sink at the Scarlets and who knows.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 25, 2018 1:57 pm 

All Scottish club final is what I’m now looking forward to. Where is the final being played this year?

PostPosted: Sun Mar 25, 2018 3:36 pm 

Lorthern Nights wrote:
All Scottish club final is what I’m now looking forward to. Where is the final being played this year?

Dublin.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 25, 2018 5:06 pm 

Don't think at this point Edinburgh's first xv is really strong enough to challenge.

Depending on who they bring in to play 9 next year and Hickey going well with the squad they have could be well up there in 2019.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 25, 2018 5:27 pm 

I like haggis wrote:
Don't think at this point Edinburgh's first xv is really strong enough to challenge.

Depending on who they bring in to play 9 next year and Hickey going well with the squad they have could be well up there in 2019.

Cheeky wee offer to test Vellacott’s resolve? ;)

PostPosted: Sun Mar 25, 2018 6:47 pm 

Edinburgh01 wrote:
Lorthern Nights wrote:

Dublin.

Thanks

PostPosted: Sun Mar 25, 2018 8:23 pm 

Doc Rob wrote:
I like haggis wrote:

We'd also need stump up a fee to test Gloucesters resolve.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 25, 2018 10:33 pm 

Big D wrote:
Doc Rob wrote:
I like haggis wrote:

We'd also need stump up a fee to test Gloucesters resolve.

Get Laidlaw into embra as well and they would be cooking although I think he’s on s longish deal at Clermont

PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2018 9:06 am 

Rather pleased to see Glasgow do an Italian Job at the weekend. Edinburgh looking good enough to challenge? Maybe. Reckon the top 4 shootout will be Glasgow, Edinburgh, Munster & Leinster. So who knows, an all Scottish final could be on the cards! :D

PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2018 9:33 am 

RampantLion wrote:
Rather pleased to see Glasgow do an Italian Job at the weekend. Edinburgh looking good enough to challenge? Maybe. Reckon the top 4 shootout will be Glasgow, Edinburgh, Munster & Leinster. So who knows, an all Scottish final could be on the cards! :D

I don't see Cardiff or the Cheetahs making a late run into contention, but the Scarlets are the reigning champions and will be in the mix.

Edinburgh are still not a great team but seem to have forgotten how to lose a game.

If I've got the maths of the Pro14 right, if the burghers stay in third their path to the final is by beating Munster away and then Leinster away. If they catch the Scarlets it becomes Cheetahs at home then Glasgow away. Assuming Munster and Cheetahs stay 2nd and 3rd in Conf A.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2018 11:43 am 

clydecloggie wrote:
RampantLion wrote:

I don't see Cardiff or the Cheetahs making a late run into contention, but the Scarlets are the reigning champions and will be in the mix.

Edinburgh are still not a great team but seem to have forgotten how to lose a game.

If I've got the maths of the Pro14 right, if the burghers stay in third their path to the final is by beating Munster away and then Leinster away. If they catch the Scarlets it becomes Cheetahs at home then Glasgow away. Assuming Munster and Cheetahs stay 2nd and 3rd in Conf A.

That Scarlets game becomes crucial for Edinburgh if that's right. Getting to the final by beating Munster at Thomond, then Leinster in Dublin would be an epic achievement for this Edinburgh team and likely be beyond them, but it is the only chance (a VERY slim one at that) of an all Scottish final so I am somewhat conflicted!

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 23425 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 539, 540, 541, 542, 543, 544, 545 ... 586  Next