Chat Forum
It is currently Wed Aug 15, 2018 6:00 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 669 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17  Next
PostPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2018 12:08 pm 

ticketlessinseattle wrote:
danthefan wrote:
It also doesn't stop the bint I saw at the weekend bidding on every f**king house that was up for viewing on Saturday morning in North Dublin City.

that's what i'm trying to figure out - doesnt the estate agent have to verify that the bidder has approval/funding from their bank to actually purchase the property ? Obviously the seller could set something up with someone to go through that process or the estate agent could chance their arm but both of these would involve a party knowingly chance their arm hence their is an element of risk but what is that downside ? i guess my question is if i'm bidding and the estate agent says someone else has topped your offer by 10k and i ask them have they verified funding etc of other bidder do they have any legal obligation to do so ? cheers

I've bid unsuccessful on two places so far and one insisted on proof of approval or they wouldn't accept the bid. I don't know if it's a requirement and from my experience so far I don't think it is. It's worth asking if the other parties have approval though I think.

If you find someone has withdrawn from the running you can always reduce your bid again.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2018 12:13 pm 

When I was considering buying Jan/Feb the viewings were depressing. There were always at least 20 people and of those at least 2 struck me as older investors who knew exactly what they were doing. If someone like that was interested I didn't bother wasting my time following it up as I reckoned they would have a lot more experience than me. So they would either outbid me, or I would outbid them and if I outbid them it was likely that I had paid over the odds. Maybe a defeatist attitude (and I might have totally misread the people in question) but I reckon it saved me a lot of wasted effort. I then withdrew from another flat because I realised I was probably bidding against someone desperate to get onto the property ladder and we would drive the price up way above actual value and if they were desperate enough they could end up utterly screwed or again I would have paid way over the odds. The situation in Dublin is horrible.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2018 12:17 pm 

danthefan wrote:
danthefan wrote:
It also doesn't stop the bint I saw at the weekend bidding on every f**king house that was up for viewing on Saturday morning in North Dublin City.

that's what i'm trying to figure out - doesnt the estate agent have to verify that the bidder has approval/funding from their bank to actually purchase the property ? Obviously the seller could set something up with someone to go through that process or the estate agent could chance their arm but both of these would involve a party knowingly chance their arm hence their is an element of risk but what is that downside ? i guess my question is if i'm bidding and the estate agent says someone else has topped your offer by 10k and i ask them have they verified funding etc of other bidder do they have any legal obligation to do so ? cheers

I've bid unsuccessful on two places so far and one insisted on proof of approval or they wouldn't accept the bid. I don't know if it's a requirement and from my experience so far I don't think it is. It's worth asking if the other parties have approval though I think.

If you find someone has withdrawn from the running you can always reduce your bid again.

This proof of funds you mention only covers one property. Yer one probably has the same type of approval, but correctly assumes that none of the houseowners/estate agents realise she has made other offers.
When the time comes, she will choose a property, then inform/drag out the other deals stating that the mortgage company are delaying/withdrawn the funding.

Leave your offer as it is, inform the agent accordingly, walk away, and keep looking.
At a future date multiple sellers will be back as their offer has fallen through.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2018 12:36 pm 

iarmhiman wrote:
Got the letter of loan yesterday for the amount agreed and solicitor has it as well.

Currently organising Mortgage protection insurance and home insurance and a new current bank account where I will have to pay mortgage repayments from.

Process speeding up now.

Are you getting Mortgage protection insurance in case you die or to cover death/losing you job?

PostPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2018 12:42 pm 

Luckycharmer wrote:
iarmhiman wrote:
Got the letter of loan yesterday for the amount agreed and solicitor has it as well.

Currently organising Mortgage protection insurance and home insurance and a new current bank account where I will have to pay mortgage repayments from.

Process speeding up now.

Are you getting Mortgage protection insurance in case you die or to cover death/losing you job?

Just get the cheapest one - though I do know of one woman who got sick, had the mortgage cleared by the policy, then recovered and now lives mortgage free

PostPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2018 1:35 pm 

Luckycharmer wrote:
iarmhiman wrote:

Process speeding up now.

A bit of both I suppose. I'm not in the most perfect health so won't take a chance on it.

10% deposit paid to solicitor's account this morning. Meeting solicitor tomorrow and should have contracts signed by end of week all going to plan.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2018 1:37 pm 

danthefan wrote:
danthefan wrote:

That seems to be more for the 3 beds due to high demand. They want to decide on who they will take seriously and those they won't.

As I was only ever looking for a 2 bed house or apartment, the demand is not nearly as high

PostPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2018 3:36 pm 

danthefan wrote:
danthefan wrote:

i guess that's the only way of having a clue as to how above board the bidding process is - if they dont ask you for confirmation of funding/approval then its open season - if they do then you can ask if the same detail is provided by competition bidder

PostPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2018 3:40 pm 

CM11 wrote:
Agree. I very much doubt anyone who is established would make up bids themselves.

Still doesn't stop someone unknown to the agent acting on behalf of the vendor but that's still risky on the vendor's behalf and far too much trouble.

Ultimately a house is worth what you're willing to pay for it and any decision should be made on that and not the assumption that because someone else is willing to pay similar that the house is 'worth' that amount so your money is secure.

Established agents have been known to make up bids. Someone both of us know caught out an agent doing it.
He raised the bid on a property and the agent said hed check with the owner and the other bidder. Agent rang back 10mins later and said the other bidder had raised again.
Mutual acquaintance of ours was able to triangulate the agent's position and saw they were well away from the office and had mate the call to the acquaintance and had neither made or received any other calls before ringing back the acquaintance saying the asking price had been raised.

Last edited by Leinsterman on Wed Apr 11, 2018 3:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2018 3:40 pm 

Leinster in London wrote:
danthefan wrote:
danthefan wrote:

This proof of funds you mention only covers one property. Yer one probably has the same type of approval, but correctly assumes that none of the houseowners/estate agents realise she has made other offers.
When the time comes, she will choose a property, then inform/drag out the other deals stating that the mortgage company are delaying/withdrawn the funding.

Leave your offer as it is, inform the agent accordingly, walk away, and keep looking.
At a future date multiple sellers will be back as their offer has fallen through.

starting to see a bit of that alright - one places we looked at a while ago (that needed about another €150k) to do up - was in shit nick was supposedly at sale agreed according to the smug estate agent at 25% above listing price - crazy money for a kip....magically reappeared 3 months later at original listing price ; i guess bottom line is figure out ahead of time what the place is worth to you, that's your cap, if its approaching that inform agent that you're looking at another property and decide if you make the take or leave it offer.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2018 3:44 pm 

Leinsterman wrote:
CM11 wrote:
Agree. I very much doubt anyone who is established would make up bids themselves.

Still doesn't stop someone unknown to the agent acting on behalf of the vendor but that's still risky on the vendor's behalf and far too much trouble.

Ultimately a house is worth what you're willing to pay for it and any decision should be made on that and not the assumption that because someone else is willing to pay similar that the house is 'worth' that amount so your money is secure.

Established agents have been known to make up bids. Someone both of us know caught out an agent doing it.
He raised the bid on a property and the agent said hed check with the owner and the other bidder. Agent rang back 10mins later and said the other bidder had raised again.
Mutual acquaintance of ours was able to triangulate the agent's position and saw they were well away from the office and had mate the call to the acquaintance and had neither made or received any other calls before ringing back the acquaintance saying the asking price had been raised.

Sounds like your mutual acquaintance works in GCHQ

PostPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2018 3:47 pm 

Duff Paddy wrote:
Sounds like your mutual acquaintance works in GCHQ

You'd be surprised what you can get access to and not be in GCHQ.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2018 3:54 pm 

Leinsterman wrote:
CM11 wrote:

Hmmmmm, fair enough!

PostPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2018 5:07 pm 

An agent told his client he had shown the house to 11 viewers on a particular day and no one was interested at that price, the agent later bought the house himself.
The seller's neighbours told her no one had ever viewed the house, she tried to pursue the the agent but was told he had done nothing illegal.

Last edited by lorcanoworms on Wed Apr 11, 2018 5:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2018 5:15 pm 

Mullets folk :thumbup:

PostPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2018 6:43 pm 

Leinsterman wrote:
CM11 wrote:

fcuk sake....thats the kinda sh1t that should get some kicked out of such such an esteemed profession at minimum. Seems to be a bit of an uptick in stuff coming online this week, maybe its with Easter done, spring time etc - this saturday going to check out 3 places (only ever done 1) 2 of which are live contenders
and they wonder why spitting image came up with....
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sA1ePzf99vI

PostPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2018 6:48 pm 

it's still the bargain basement compared to London, if that's any consolation

PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2018 1:55 pm 

Contracts signed subject to loan draw down. 4 weeks should do it now and I'll have my apartment

PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2018 1:56 pm 

iarmhiman wrote:
Contracts signed subject to loan draw down. 4 weeks should do it now and I'll have my apartment

I'll bring the beer for the housewarming party 8)

Post subject: Danthefan
PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2018 4:16 pm 

iarmhiman wrote:

How long are you looking at from sale agreed to drawdown out of interest?

Edit, congrats btw.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2018 4:20 pm 

TheBouncer wrote:

A mate just bought in London, they had to go about 20km outside the M25 before they got into affordable territory.

Post subject: Re: Danthefan
PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2018 4:24 pm 

danthefan wrote:
iarmhiman wrote:

Edit, congrats btw.

I bet it's in or around 3 months

PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2018 5:57 pm 

danthefan wrote:
TheBouncer wrote:

A mate just bought in London, they had to go about 20km outside the M25 before they got into affordable territory.

My friend rents in Twickenham with his missus and he drives to Southampton each day for work. :lol: :uhoh:

PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2018 9:24 pm 

danthefan wrote:
TheBouncer wrote:

edit wrong post.

Post subject: Re: Danthefan
PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2018 9:25 pm 

danthefan wrote:
iarmhiman wrote:

Edit, congrats btw.

So my bid was accepted on 31st Jan. I formally applied for a mortgage about 3-4 days later. They will call you first and agree what what rate, variable/fixed etc you want then email you with forms to apply. After you apply, it goes to the underwriter. That can take up to two weeks. For me after the underwriter reverted back , Ulster Bank reduced their loan offer right down, and I had to re apply again, which took another two weeks. Then they have to get a valuation done on the property. After a week, if it's approved, then they issue a letter of loan to your solicitor.

All in all it has taken me since the start of Feb to get to today and signing contracts. And another 4 weeks it will take for the draw down to happen.

Leinsterman is right . It's about 3 months altogether.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2018 9:57 pm 

Sounds pretty standard.
Our first house in 2007, we had the bid accepted mid April and got the keys mid July.
2 years ago we had the bid accepted 2 weeks before Christmas and got the keys the day after St. Patrick's Day :o

PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2018 12:26 pm 

TheBouncer wrote:

prices coming down in London for first time in almost 10 years apparently - get out while ya can

PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2018 3:13 pm 

iarmhiman wrote:

congratulations

PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2018 4:07 pm 

iarmhiman wrote:

Congratulations, best of luck in the new gaf. :thumbup:

PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2018 4:38 pm 

When's the party?

PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2018 4:43 pm 

iarmhiman wrote:

Where have you bought?

PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2018 9:34 pm 

Will be bidding on two places this week. One in Drumcondra and one in Phibsboro. Fingers crossed.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2018 10:14 pm 

Luckycharmer wrote:
iarmhiman wrote:

Where have you bought?

Dublin 8.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2018 10:15 pm 

Leinsterman wrote:
When's the party?

When I have money again.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2018 10:16 pm 

danthefan wrote:
Will be bidding on two places this week. One in Drumcondra and one in Phibsboro. Fingers crossed.

Phibsboro is a little cheaper than Drumcondra which has gone mental. The former is a great area to live in as well.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2018 11:51 am 

went to see more houses on saturday (4) than i have in the last 3 months combined. 3 of the 4 estate agents said that not as many people showing up, prices leveled off etc. 4 or 5 couples at each viewing whereas they said that 3 months ago there would have been 20 couples

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2018 12:02 pm 

went to see more houses on saturday (4) than i have in the last 3 months combined. 3 of the 4 estate agents said that not as many people showing up, prices leveled off etc. 4 or 5 couples at each viewing whereas they said that 3 months ago there would have been 20 couples

3 beds really ???

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2018 12:30 pm 

Had a similar experience on Sat, one viewing was very busy but the other was not at all and the only offer they have is well below asking. It wasn't the first viewing for that property either.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2018 9:39 am 

danthefan wrote:

Had a similar experience on Sat, one viewing was very busy but the other was not at all and the only offer they have is well below asking. It wasn't the first viewing for that property either.

yup, i put offers on 2 of the places i saw there and then - one at asking price one €25k below asking price - both estate agents came back to me yesterday morning - both of them have viewings again this weekend and am sure both will start bidding up but at least its not crazy town out the gate (probably just trying to convince myself this might not end badly)

PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2018 1:16 pm 

iarmhiman wrote:
Luckycharmer wrote:
iarmhiman wrote:

Where have you bought?

Dublin 8.

Congrats dude :thumbup:

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 669 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17  Next