Chat Forum
It is currently Thu Nov 15, 2018 9:56 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 24534 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 585, 586, 587, 588, 589, 590, 591 ... 614  Next
PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2018 7:13 am 

I get that the next day every time I'm out and drink too much. I thought it was normal to feel breathless as fůck and have a thumping heart rate when hungover.

Anyway went for a gentle run this morning. Everything seems normal. Got into the Aerobic zone at about 140-150 and apart from a few spikes to 170 up hills and shit, kept it there consistently and went back to normal 65 within 10 minutes of stopping.

I'm a little worried but not too worried. I think I've just been over training at BJJ and that thread full of heart attack stories as if it were par for the course kind of freaked me out. Last night was the first class I just skipped and pussied out of and now I feel a bit guilty and silly.

PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2018 7:17 am 

Mog The Almighty wrote:
I get that the next day every time I'm out and drink too much. I thought it was normal to feel breathless as fůck and have a thumping heart rate when hungover.

Anyway went for a gentle run this morning. Everything seems normal. Got into the Aerobic zone at about 140-150 and apart from a few spikes to 170 up hills and shit, kept it there consistently and went back to normal 65 within 10 minutes of stopping.

I'm a little worried but not too worried. I think I've just been over training at BJJ and that thread full of heart attack stories as if it were par for the course kind of freaked me out. Last night was the first class I just skipped and pussied out of and now I feel a bit guilty and silly.

You're nearly 40 right? BJJ is intense on your body and your mind in my experience. Having some fat plum sit on you while you're trying to shrimp out and not have your sternum crushed can be a taxing experience! You've got to learnt to breath effectively throughout any rolling. Did you watch the Rickson Gracie doc yet?

PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2018 7:20 am 

I am 40! And had been out of training and letting myself go a bit for about six or eight months before starting.

Thanks for the tip on the docco. Where can I get it online? Netflix?

edit: yes very intense. Body and mind is so amped up after BJJ, I can't sleep until about 2am. Its annoying.

Last edited by Mog The Almighty on Thu May 03, 2018 7:23 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2018 7:23 am 

Mog The Almighty wrote:
I am 40! And had been out of training and letting myself go a bit for about six or eight months before starting.

Thanks for the tip on the docco. Where can I get it online? Netflix?

I think its all here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BjvzJO-6ESc&t=3s

I know what you mean about the training, I'm younger than you but a bit of a smaller guy and whenever I went back to training after a break I was super rinsed at the start. I've not done it in over a year now too so it seems my BJJ days may be over sadly. I loved it but got a bit sick of the neck cranks and assorted joint injuries. Brilliant sport though.

PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2018 7:25 am 

Ha! My strategy is to just tap as soon as I feel they have it locked in. Im there at training to drill, not to prove how tough I am, and at 40 I need to look after my joints. If I ever compete then I'll try and be a wee bit tougher.

PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2018 7:29 am 

Mog The Almighty wrote:
Ha! My strategy is to just tap as soon as I feel they have it locked in. Im not there at training to prove how tough I am, and at 40 I need to look after my joints. If I ever compete then I'll try and be a wee bit tougher.

I just got sick of the overly aggressive young MMA guys that are doing BJJ to add to their fighting repertoire. When you've got some 23 year old bozo in an arm bar and he wont tap because he's too macho what are ya gonna do?

I'm not sure if your gym is BJJ only but places that have MMA too seem to always attract these bone-heads who have zero skill and just end up hurting people. They seem to mostly come from Essex, Hertfordshire and Eastern Europe unsurprisingly.

PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2018 7:30 am 

Mog The Almighty wrote:
Ha! My strategy is to just tap as soon as I feel they have it locked in. Im there at training to drill, not to prove how tough I am, and at 40 I need to look after my joints. If I ever compete then I'll try and be a wee bit tougher.

Smart move. You would be better spending recovery time asking how or when they got you then being flat out recovering from another 3 secs before you tap.

PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2018 8:54 am 

Man In Black wrote:
Mog The Almighty wrote:
Ha! My strategy is to just tap as soon as I feel they have it locked in. Im not there at training to prove how tough I am, and at 40 I need to look after my joints. If I ever compete then I'll try and be a wee bit tougher.

I just got sick of the overly aggressive young MMA guys that are doing BJJ to add to their fighting repertoire. When you've got some 23 year old bozo in an arm bar and he wont tap because he's too macho what are ya gonna do?

I'm not sure if your gym is BJJ only but places that have MMA too seem to always attract these bone-heads who have zero skill and just end up hurting people. They seem to mostly come from Essex, Hertfordshire and Eastern Europe unsurprisingly.

It's pure BJJ, but still we get the odd one of those "bone-heads". I must admit to never having gotten one in arm-bar, but if I did and I knew it was locked in, I'd just let him go and tap his back myself to say, "got you, let's reset". If he doesn't like it, that's his problem.

PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2018 12:34 pm 

Blindcider, question about Parkruns. Do you just register, print your barcode and then show up in the morning?

PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2018 12:37 pm 

Nolanator wrote:
Blindcider, question about Parkruns. Do you just register, print your barcode and then show up in the morning?

Pretty much.

Just make sure your code is scanned at the end so you get an official time.

There is some company that prints your bar code onto a wrist band that makes life a bit easier.

PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2018 1:04 pm 

danny_fitz wrote:
Nolanator wrote:

Pretty much.

There is some company that prints your bar code onto a wrist band that makes life a bit easier.

This. I'm RD again at my local one this week which is turning into a right pain in the hole.

Tapering for a stupid event next weekend though so doing reasonably little (and getting very bored)

I won't terrorise you gentle lifting types with the gory details of exercising outside yet :P

PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2018 3:57 pm 

blindcider wrote:
danny_fitz wrote:
Nolanator wrote:

Pretty much.

This. I'm RD again at my local one this week which is turning into a right pain in the hole.

Tapering for a stupid event next weekend though so doing reasonably little (and getting very bored)

I won't terrorise you gentle lifting types with the gory details of exercising outside yet :P

I've heard of this outside place. Apparently it exists separate from rugby matches/training.

I'm building myself up to go for a gentle jaunt this Saturday, but I'm terrified that I'll look silly.
I realise that this is the point of Parkrun, but still; it's outside my usual exercise spectrum.

PostPosted: Sat May 05, 2018 10:10 am 

Well, I picked a great morning to go on a run. :thumbup:
Cracking weather, must have been 1000 people at it. I think I overtook more people than overtook me.

Really enjoyed that, will definitely do again.

Got overtaken twice at the end by a parent pushing a buggy, one man and one woman. They must have overtaken half of the field, considering they start right at the back!

PostPosted: Sat May 05, 2018 11:29 am 

blindcider wrote:

I resent that, I train outside all year round. Hating it today though, we're in the 'sunny, bit warm, no wind but last week it was nearly freezing at night' phase of the British year.

Today's training:

Ring dips superset with front lever pulls
KB swings superset with heavy farmers walks
Static bike high intensity continuous training

Lifting is the most minor part of my attempt to be properly ready for a good few mixed ability rugby games next season. Currently running and cardiac output on the bike are the main focus.

PostPosted: Sat May 05, 2018 12:25 pm 

Yeah, resistance training outside in this weather sounds tough going.
Saw a crowd doing bootcamp style stuff earlier, Burpees etc. I'd say they got some sweat on.

27:34 earlier. Grand job given I haven't run that distance continuously in like 18 months. Target to aim for now.

PostPosted: Sat May 05, 2018 12:30 pm 

Nolanator wrote:
Saw a crowd doing bootcamp style stuff earlier, Burpees etc. I'd say they got some sweat on.

27:34 earlier. Grand job given I haven't run that distance continuously in like 18 months. Target to aim for now.

5k?

PostPosted: Sat May 05, 2018 2:38 pm 

Now that I'm a full time desk jockey I've been having to suffer the gym at rush hour. Some of the bro-ness is eye opening, there's plenty of people belted and wrist-wrapped for stuff like curls etc. The best so far is a guy using straps, wrapping them very carefully before each set, for a 135lbs incline bench.

PostPosted: Sat May 05, 2018 4:10 pm 

Jay Cee Gee wrote:

5k?

Yep

Stevus55 wrote:
Now that I'm a full time desk jockey I've been having to suffer the gym at rush hour. Some of the bro-ness is eye opening, there's plenty of people belted and wrist-wrapped for stuff like curls etc. The best so far is a guy using straps, wrapping them very carefully before each set, for a 135lbs incline bench.

Like, wraps for pulling exercises where your grip fails? For a pressing exercise?
Hah, twat.

Yeah, belts for curls. Wrist straps on for the entire session, meaning that they're clearly not tight enough. All in a day's session. Eejits.

Last edited by Nolanator on Sat May 05, 2018 4:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sat May 05, 2018 4:12 pm 

bobbity wrote:
blindcider wrote:

I resent that, I train outside all year round.

Fair play dude. I know lots of triathlon types that train indoor 6 months a year.

But of course you knew that my comment was made with no malice intended...

I have 26 swim laps of a lake to do next Saturday before an overnight bike and then a run on Sunday (hopefully)

PostPosted: Sat May 05, 2018 4:14 pm 

Nolanator wrote:

Good start.

350 at my parkrun today, I was in charge and was warm enough just overseeing things.

PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2018 6:46 pm 

Anybody got any pointers for a quick biceps/triceps superset for arm size? Usually I'm fully 'functional' but I've got to the stage where I'm in decent nick again, so it seems a shame not to spend ten minutes on the arms a couple of times a week :lol:

PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2018 9:11 pm 

Armchair_Superstar wrote:
Anybody got any pointers for a quick biceps/triceps superset for arm size? Usually I'm fully 'functional' but I've got to the stage where I'm in decent nick again, so it seems a shame not to spend ten minutes on the arms a couple of times a week :lol:

https://www.defrancostraining.com/joe-ds-q3-6-12q-badass-biceps-builder/

This one worked well enough for me when I wanted slightly bigger arms.

PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2018 9:16 pm 

Good call. Have done that before and you definitely feel the fatigue and DOMS in the bicep afterwards.

PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2018 9:18 pm 

Was gonna suggest the DeFranco program as well.

I’d do close grip bench as well for triceps because I find it easiest on my elbows.

PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2018 9:23 pm 

Think I tried to make up an equivalent triple set for triceps, based on having the arm in different positions. Something like incline skullcrushers (OH extension), narrow bench (horizontal extension) and dips/push downs (downwards extension).

I'm always wary of overdoing things and wondering when it stops being useful. Particularly if there's already decent bench and OH pressing in your program. Shoulders and tri's much get mangled after a while.

PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2018 10:44 pm 

I used to do 21's for biceps.

Basically you do 21 reps of bicep curls, 7 bottom half curls (only curl up to when your forearm is horizontal), 7 full range of motion curls & 7 top half (forearm horizontal as the bottom of the curl).

Seemed to work well and got a good PAHMP.

PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2018 8:51 am 

Cheers lads, Inreckon I'll come up with something slightly different for each of the 2 sessions I'm doing per week, it seems to be keeping things interesting working like that. Summer is generally the anti-gainz due to time on the bike but I'm going to try and keep the weights and protein up and see if I can shift the last half a stone.

PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2018 1:04 pm 

My continuous double Ironman attempt is this weekend (7.6km swim, 373, km bike, 84.8 km run)

Starts 09:00 Saturday morning and absolute cut-off is 04:00 Monday morning.

It was nice knowing you lads - my passing is sure to be painful

Biggest worry ahead of the ordeal is the swim cut-off at 4hrs, I'll worry about anything else afterwards

PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2018 1:07 pm 

You
Are
Insane

Good luck.

PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2018 1:11 pm 

Nolanator wrote:
You
Are
Insane

Good luck.

You saying you don't fancy it then? Starting parkrun is a slippery slope...

I'm probably too blasé about the whole thing but meh, what will be...

PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2018 1:25 pm 

blindcider wrote:
My continuous double Ironman attempt is this weekend (7.6km swim, 373, km bike, 84.8 km run)

Biggest worry ahead of the ordeal is the swim cut-off at 4hrs, I'll worry about anything else afterwards

Mind blown.

Is it an organised event?

PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2018 1:27 pm 

newportblue wrote:
blindcider wrote:

Mind blown.

Yes just one part of the Enduroman Festival of Ultra Events. There is also a triple this year and in the past they have included Quins and Decas too

PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2018 1:46 pm 

My Ironwork IIIs are starting to look the worse for wear. I love squatting in them but to prolong their lifespan, would anyone recommend a more general weightlifting shoe? I normal deadlift in my socks, but like a nice solid heel for everything else (even benching feels weird in normal trainers).

PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2018 2:26 pm 

blindcider wrote:
newportblue wrote:
blindcider wrote:

Mind blown.

Yes just one part of the Enduroman Festival of Ultra Events. There is also a triple this year and in the past they have included Quins and Decas too

Fair play, it sounds horrific! Do you pull over to eat during the swim then?

I always thought I'd end up doing triathlon but a load of injuries have made it difficult to get back into running. I'm gradually trying to work through plantar faciitis and get back to 10km again.

PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2018 2:29 pm 

blindcider wrote:
newportblue wrote:
blindcider wrote:

Mind blown.

I always thought I'd end up doing triathlon but a load of injuries have made it difficult to get back into running. I'm gradually trying to work through plantar faciitis and get back to 10km again.

Yeah, will have a bottle with energy drink on the pontoon and a couple of gels shoved in the arm of my wetsuit

PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2018 3:19 pm 

blindcider wrote:
blindcider wrote:
newportblue wrote:
blindcider wrote:

Mind blown.

Yeah, will have a bottle with energy drink on the pontoon and a couple of gels shoved in the arm of my wetsuit

Even with the relatively short distances I'm doing I find food and hydration makes a massive difference, I had a brutal bonk on the practice day of a bike race last month, all because I didn't bother stopping for food and water at halfway.

PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2018 11:27 pm 

blindcider wrote:

Jesus christ mate, why would you put yourself through that?

PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2018 11:28 pm 

Also I think I've decided upon doing this training program for my marathon attempt. Those who have done such silly things, like running a marathon, does this seem to hit all the right marks for things that I need to cover off?

https://static.garmincdn.com/shared/emea/custom/training/downloads/running/Marathon-Training-Plan-Intermediate-ENGLISH.pdf

PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2018 8:58 am 

Back into the JuJitsu last night after a lay off of a week and a half (I did some running in between).

Yeah well - it was as hard as I remember it, and still got all amped up afterwards and couldn't sleep until about 1 in the morning.

I actually wore my chest-strap heart-monitor this time to try and get a bit of insight... I dunno if this shit is interesting to anyone but me, but wtf ...

(don't ask me how that temperature thing works, I have no idea what it's measuring, and I wasn't wearing the watch anyway...)

PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2018 10:02 am 

HR between 120 and 180 ish seems grand to me. I mean, you're working hard, that't the point. You don't want to take it easy. If it was hitting 220, then you might worry more. Obviously this is my completely unprofessional opinion.

You're 39/40, aren't you? As you age, "healthy" peak HR reduces. Thing is, you're in much better nick than your average white 40 year old, so those references should be a guideline, rather than a cause for concern. Granted, don't dismiss them.

My dad is 59 and is regularly running 10km and does lots of cycling. He's always been wiry and active, so had a good base to start from; but his general capacity for exercise is ridiculous for his age. I wouldn't worry too much.

What time of the day is training? I presume it's evening? Could be the reason you're wired for so long afterwards.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 24534 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 585, 586, 587, 588, 589, 590, 591 ... 614  Next