Chat Forum
It is currently Wed Oct 23, 2019 11:02 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 25590 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 622, 623, 624, 625, 626, 627, 628 ... 640  Next
PostPosted: Thu Mar 28, 2019 2:23 pm 

ManInTheBar wrote:
danny_fitz wrote:
Toughie this week.

Monday - circuit training
Tuesday - 30 min erg, (2 mins sprint followed by 4 min UT1 x 5)
Wednesday - 2km erg test indoors followed by two 3k on the water sprints
Tonight - 5km on the water sprint
Saturday - Head of the River race, basically the boat race course in reverse, 6.8 km, up against 311 other crews.

PLUS 22 womens crews - watch out of Oxford Brookes, they'll be tasty (not necessarily in a Yeeb sense)

I see that the Chinese national squad are racing and doubtless many of our own National Treasures will be in crews 2 and 4.

Good Luck!!!

[globus]

One of my mates is due to be Starter

[/globus]

Ta :thumbup:

PS A true Globus boast would involve winning a Henley pot, but for some unknown reason he cant remember the year, the race or indeed the crew he raced with.....but he lost his pot in the divorce and his memory is a little hazy these days.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 28, 2019 2:28 pm 

danny_fitz wrote:
ManInTheBar wrote:
danny_fitz wrote:
Toughie this week.

Monday - circuit training
Tuesday - 30 min erg, (2 mins sprint followed by 4 min UT1 x 5)
Wednesday - 2km erg test indoors followed by two 3k on the water sprints
Tonight - 5km on the water sprint
Saturday - Head of the River race, basically the boat race course in reverse, 6.8 km, up against 311 other crews.

PLUS 22 womens crews - watch out of Oxford Brookes, they'll be tasty (not necessarily in a Yeeb sense)

I see that the Chinese national squad are racing and doubtless many of our own National Treasures will be in crews 2 and 4.

Good Luck!!!

[globus]

One of my mates is due to be Starter

[/globus]

Ta :thumbup:

PS A true Globus boast would involve winning a Henley pot, but for some unknown reason he cant remember the year, the race or indeed the crew he raced with.....but he lost his pot in the divorce and his memory is a little hazy these days.

"
A few mates and I entered the Twyford for a laugh one year

Drew some ghastly oiks from East London, Hackney

I can take abuse like any man but they were rude

We borrowed an Impeller - German boat, the best

I steered.

Lost my cap after three strokes

Drank Leander dry
"

PostPosted: Fri Mar 29, 2019 12:02 pm 

My lower back is utterly fúcked from maxing out on DLs yesterday. Form certainly wasn't amazing and I'm feeling it now. Not too much in terms of proper back spasm, but my SI and left hip are really achy.
Managed a bench session this morning. All the arching and bracing probably didn't help, mind you.

Time for a few days off lifting and limbering up that area. Think I'll try get a bit of swimming in.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 30, 2019 9:10 pm 

Enjoyed my session today

Over head press
7 sets of 4 with 72
super setted with band face pulls x20

Dips
4x12 with BW+6.25
Super setted with rear delt flys

Close grip bench
4x12 75

PUUUUUMP

PostPosted: Wed Apr 03, 2019 10:05 pm 

Well I've dropped just over 6Kg since the start of the year.

Due to boozing & over-eating over the Xmas/NY period, I was up to just over 96kg which is the heaviest I think I've ever been & it was frankly unacceptable.

So for the last few months I've cut down the booze a bit (no drinking on a school night, only two or three beers on Fri/Sat) been a bit more sensible with my eating and have been doing a bit more exercise. Partly cause my new job is in suburbia where there's nothing to do on my lunch break other than go to the gym a few hundred metres down the road. Plus I've been cycling to work every day, it's nothing massive about 10km and flat but Wellington's winds make it an ever-changing difficulty.

I weighed in at 89.5kg this morning - don't think I've been under 90kg for a decade.

Funnily enough dropping 5kg or so makes pull ups and running much easier. .

PostPosted: Wed Apr 03, 2019 10:07 pm 

17.2 on the yoyo last night, got a couple of weeks to find at least 7 more shuttles.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 04, 2019 7:22 am 

Jay Cee Gee wrote:
Well I've dropped just over 6Kg since the start of the year.

Due to boozing & over-eating over the Xmas/NY period, I was up to just over 96kg which is the heaviest I think I've ever been & it was frankly unacceptable.

So for the last few months I've cut down the booze a bit (no drinking on a school night, only two or three beers on Fri/Sat) been a bit more sensible with my eating and have been doing a bit more exercise. Partly cause my new job is in suburbia where there's nothing to do on my lunch break other than go to the gym a few hundred metres down the road. Plus I've been cycling to work every day, it's nothing massive about 10km and flat but Wellington's winds make it an ever-changing difficulty.

I weighed in at 89.5kg this morning - don't think I've been under 90kg for a decade.

Funnily enough dropping 5kg or so makes pull ups and running much easier. .

Well done. I weighed in at 96.0 this morning - the lightest I have been in 15 years. I have dropped 13kg in the last 6 months by cutting down on starchy carbs and sugar, and doing a bit more exercise. A month back in NZ over xmas slowed me down a bit though. Would like to get to 90kg by October.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 04, 2019 10:24 am 

Good progress. :thumbup:

After last Thursdays' deadlifts I've been in a bit of a hoop. Lower back seized up afterwards and was quite sore all weekend. Nothing pinged or anything during a rep, but that area certainly isn't happy since.
I'm almost certain that it's because I switched to mixed grip having not done it in ages and I wasn't pulling evenly through my torso.

Been clearing up slowly since then. Took Monday off (squat day) and Tuesday was a bit uncomfortable, but manageable.

Did a reduced DL/back session this morning. Loads of limbering up and making sure I'm bracing through my core properly. The DL reps felt good when my form was perfect, but could feel a little "heat" in my lower back if I let the technique slip a little bit.

I mixed in a bit of technique/unilateral work as well to make sure I'm working evenly on both sides. It felt very good. Only light weights, but could definitely feel it making me work hard.
Split squat with band adduction.
SA OH KB carry. Jaysus. This was uneven. My right shoulder has such shit OH range of movement that the right side of my ribcage was flaring a huge amount to compensate. The left OH carry was fine. Definitely a work-on.
Landmine rotations. Only the bar. Just wanted to get my spine gently twisting each way and build up the control of the movement.

Enjoyed those bits.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 04, 2019 10:30 am 

In glorious weather I completed the Head of the River on Saturday, probably the best conditions ever for this race.

Was boat 246 in the line up and was eventually placed 223 with a time of 20:58.8

Was hoping to get a sub 20 min, ah well.

Out in a single last night after work, rattled out a 10km before it got dark.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 04, 2019 12:14 pm 

Fair play on the deadlifts Nols - what height are you out of interest?

Deadlifts last night:

Deadlifts 5x1 @ 220kg
Speed deads 5x3 @ 165kg
Pendlay BB row 3x5 @ 85kg

PostPosted: Thu Apr 04, 2019 12:25 pm 

danny_fitz wrote:
In glorious weather I completed the Head of the River on Saturday, probably the best conditions ever for this race.

Was boat 246 in the line up and was eventually placed 223 with a time of 20:58.8

Was hoping to get a sub 20 min, ah well.

Out in a single last night after work, rattled out a 10km before it got dark.

Lucky you and well done.

We had a nasty head wind, 13 kt gusting 28 apparently. Bumpy conditions which suited us not at all.

Started 123, finished 88 which sounds better than it was.

Got overtaken by Tideway Scullers, Molesey (stroked by Searle, Oy Gold 1992) and Marin County USA (who were overfed, overloud and over here)

Decent row, 22.34.63 gross, 21.15.63 after handicap.

Mildly disappointed.

Have sculled each day since

PostPosted: Thu Apr 04, 2019 12:36 pm 

feckwanker wrote:
Fair play on the deadlifts Nols - what height are you out of interest?

Deadlifts last night:

Deadlifts 5x1 @ 220kg
Speed deads 5x3 @ 165kg
Pendlay BB row 3x5 @ 85kg

A shade over 6'. 184cm. Knocking around 84-85kg bodyweight.

My SI joints are not happy now. Be a good while before I shift heavy DLs again. x(

PostPosted: Sat Apr 06, 2019 1:54 am 

Just tweaked my right bicep loading an atlas stone. Things have been going really well, i hope this isn’t too serious my comp is in 5 weeks. Getting it checked tomorrow.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 06, 2019 3:43 pm 

GF is over and we finally managed to do a parkrun together after many aborted attempts. Her first one and she loved it.
She's traveling with work a good bit over the next few months and is scouting Parkrun locations already. First port of call will be a few places in Australia.

All events start at 7 or 8am. Why?? Is it to get out ahead of the heat?

PostPosted: Sat Apr 06, 2019 4:37 pm 

mr flaps wrote:
Just tweaked my right bicep loading an atlas stone. Things have been going really well, i hope this isn’t too serious my comp is in 5 weeks. Getting it checked tomorrow.

Bicep injuries scare me, not sure why so much. They just seem like they can happen at any point during lifts.

Good bench session last night

Bench
7 sets of 4 at 125

Bench seems to be going up quite nicely. Still a bit down on where I have been but heading the right way

PostPosted: Sat Apr 06, 2019 5:02 pm 

mr flaps wrote:

Atlas stones, fecking Atlas stones, I only see that shite on the telly involving crazy Icelandic folk. What are you playing at man.

Meanwhile, I had a 10km tech outing in a single this morning.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 06, 2019 5:21 pm 

newportblue wrote:
mr flaps wrote:

Bicep injuries scare me, not sure why so much. They just seem like they can happen at any point during lifts.

Good bench session last night

Bench
7 sets of 4 at 125

Bench seems to be going up quite nicely. Still a bit down on where I have been but heading the right way

My evaluation has been put off until Monday. I think it might be alright, the biceps hasn’t rolled up my arm or any of that horrific shit. Range of motion is alright, but picking anything up in my right hand is painful.
I felt like a right bell end, I’d literally just got finished telling a bloke you have to get your technique right or it’s too much strain on your bicep........ what a plum😂

PostPosted: Sat Apr 06, 2019 9:58 pm 

Nolanator wrote:
GF is over and we finally managed to do a parkrun together after many aborted attempts. Her first one and she loved it.
She's traveling with work a good bit over the next few months and is scouting Parkrun locations already. First port of call will be a few places in Australia.

All events start at 7 or 8am. Why?? Is it to get out ahead of the heat?

Yeah - Queensland generally 7am and NSW etc 8am (which is 7am ex-daylight saving time). Won't be too bad over the next couple of months but it would be just about impossible to run later than that in many places during summer. I reckon Queensland should really start at 6am.

Any areas you are targeting? I'm over 150+ parkruns across 30ish events in Australia

PostPosted: Sat Apr 06, 2019 10:21 pm 

Figures.

She's looking at doing one in Hamilton Island and one somewhere in Perth. Accommodation in Perth hasn't yet been arranged, so she'll probably try and organise something which is completely coincidentally near a parkrun location.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 09, 2019 10:33 am 

Back in the groove after tweaking my back the other week. Only ended up missing one squat session and one DL session. Not too bad.

Have decided to incorporate way more core control stuff. Movements that challenge my balance and co-ordination, rather than just work the abs. Unilateral loaded carries, SB stirs (no idea what to call these, but they're class), unilateral leg work.
It was bracing and pulling unevenly through my torso on a DL that caused me grief, so need to up the amount of work that helps improve that.

Yesterday.
Squat: 130 x2, 5 sets
Zombie front squat: 60 x6, 4 sets
SA KB racked carries
SL side plank bridge with hip flexion The second video in this post. These are great. Really tough, but they feel great when you do them well.

This morning.
RDL: 100 x8, 3 sets
Bench: 87.5 x5, 5 sets
Paused narrow bench: 65 x8, 3 sets
OHP: 50 x7 / SA DB row: 32.5 x8 each, 3 sets
Narrow LPD: 60 x12, 3 sets

PostPosted: Wed Apr 10, 2019 12:44 am 

So my bicep is just strained and should be 100% in a couple of weeks. Just no stones, deadlifts, farmers walks or rowing for a while.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 10, 2019 7:23 am 

Yo, gym benders - you may or may not be interested to know that I’ve invented a great new workout regime , it’s called ‘playing on a beach and in a water park with 3 small children for 6 hours’
My calves are sore (walking in shifting sand)
My front of shins are sore (ditto)
My back is sore (everything !)
My gripping muscles forearms are sore (feck knows what I did here)
My bum is sore (waterslides)
My thighs are sore (lifting swimming and lots of steps up to slide entrance)

Neck shoulders and chest is about all that is not completely knackered this morning.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 10, 2019 8:14 am 

backrow wrote:
Yo, gym benders - you may or may not be interested to know that I’ve invented a great new workout regime , it’s called ‘playing on a beach and in a water park with 3 small children for 6 hours’
My calves are sore (walking in shifting sand)
My front of shins are sore (ditto)
My back is sore (everything !)
My gripping muscles forearms are sore (feck knows what I did here)
My bum is sore (waterslides)
My thighs are sore (lifting swimming and lots of steps up to slide entrance)

Neck shoulders and chest is about all that is not completely knackered this morning.

Do an hours Karting today and do them as well.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 10, 2019 1:37 pm 

Imagine being so old and out of shape that playing with your kids cripples you x(

PostPosted: Wed Apr 10, 2019 1:39 pm 

Stevus55 wrote:
Imagine being so old and out of shape that playing with your kids cripples you x(

Particularly when his only activities that cause it are walking, climbing a few steps, swimming and sitting
#brokenyeeb

PostPosted: Wed Apr 10, 2019 1:43 pm 

3 x 8min sprints last night.

Feeling my legs today!

PostPosted: Thu Apr 11, 2019 2:29 am 

Just bust out an 18.4 on the yoyo, official test is next week so ideally will be able to bust out a 19 which would be nice.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 11, 2019 2:54 am 

Stevus55 wrote:

I went to a trampoline park with my kids the other week and they kept insisting I do various flips into the foam pit. I was sweating buckets after about 5 minutes, it was DISGUSTING.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 11, 2019 10:00 pm 

I used smelling salts for the first time today. Holy shit what a difference 😂

PostPosted: Thu Apr 11, 2019 10:17 pm 

mr flaps wrote:

:lol:
I did the same a few months ago. They're ridiculous for single efforts.
They've run out and I want more!

Fucking stings the nostrils, though.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 11, 2019 11:21 pm 

Spoiler: show

PostPosted: Thu Apr 11, 2019 11:31 pm 

:thumbup: :lol:
I'll be honest, it smells like pure gasoline.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 12, 2019 4:03 am 

Nolanator wrote:
mr flaps wrote:

:lol:
I did the same a few months ago. They're ridiculous for single efforts.
They've run out and I want more!

Fucking stings the nostrils, though.

I was not expecting such a dramatic effect. I was doing my top set on my bench 5/3/1. I was doing 3+ with 300lbs and was expecting 4-5 reps and cranked out 7 very solid reps.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2019 2:08 pm 

Feel like I can dip back into this thread after a decent while out.. managed to get up to an all time life high of 92kgs while away travelling but have got back into the running and am down to a more manageable 78kgs now.. Need to drop another 6 or so to be at a decent running weight. Managed a sub 20min park run on Saturday which I was v happy with. Goal is to run a decent sub 3:30 marathon by end of year.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 19, 2019 4:50 pm 

Blinfcider, my dad was telling me about an ultra endurance event in the Wicklow mountains. Sounds like your cup of tea!

https://www.imra.ie/wicklowround/

PostPosted: Fri Apr 19, 2019 5:04 pm 

Nolanator wrote:
Blinfcider, my dad was telling me about an ultra endurance event in the Wicklow mountains. Sounds like your cup of tea!

https://www.imra.ie/wicklowround/

Ah cool, an Irish version of the Bob Graham Round :thumbup:

PostPosted: Fri Apr 19, 2019 5:08 pm 

Never heard of that, Just looked it up there. :thumbup:

People are nuts.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 19, 2019 5:47 pm 

Absolutely banjaxed at the moment. Been at the French Olympic training centre near Bordeaux. Three outings today.

2 x 12km in a coxed four
1 x 9km in a single

Time for an isotonic beer.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 20, 2019 9:59 am 

Dealing with a C7 nerve compression, grip strength gone and if I squat I get pins and needles all down my arm. Still better than it was two weeks ago.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 20, 2019 1:48 pm 

Hope you are all well.

Little recommendation for those of us who aren't loving heavy squats any more, or are focusing on other things - slow negative and/or 1.5 rep "heavy" goblet squats optionally with pauses, heels elevated a bit for me.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 25590 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 622, 623, 624, 625, 626, 627, 628 ... 640  Next