Chat Forum
It is currently Tue Oct 15, 2019 1:17 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 7000 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 163, 164, 165, 166, 167, 168, 169 ... 175  Next
Author Message
PostPosted: Fri May 10, 2019 8:39 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 24290
julian wrote:
It seems to be high quality!, although it is suggested that you never use the V shaped but rounded simple iron bars. In V shaped the meat is boiled by own juices, meanwhile rounded bars let juices and fat slowly melt and burn.

You can do it with a bit more width and don't neet to put the wheel so high, there are some grills that have the wheel in front.

My grill for example has not moving parts, it is just moving the coals:



Image

Image

That is a real braai my South African Argentinian friend. :thumbup:


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri May 10, 2019 8:41 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 14059
julian wrote:
It seems to be high quality!, although it is suggested that you never use the V shaped but rounded simple iron bars. In V shaped the meat is boiled by own juices, meanwhile rounded bars let juices and fat slowly melt and burn.

You can do it with a bit more width and don't neet to put the wheel so high, there are some grills that have the wheel in front.

My grill for example has not moving parts, it is just moving the coals:



Image

Image


Those of us who can braai use something like this, the rest are Sards :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri May 10, 2019 9:13 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 28037
Location: Innie Kaap
Chilli wrote:
Sards wrote:
Chilli wrote:


Sards. Did you supply a Diablo to Beau Constantia?
I saw them using something similar on Master Chef.



I am not sure Chilli...I dont do much of the training now so dont get to see the clients...will check their website...

who was the chef Chilli


Liam Tomlin


Dont know him...do you know Greg for ex Wilderkraans


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Official so Thread
PostPosted: Fri May 10, 2019 9:25 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 28037
Location: Innie Kaap
julian wrote:
It seems to be high quality!, although it is suggested that you never use the V shaped but rounded simple iron bars. In V shaped the meat is boiled by own juices, meanwhile rounded bars let juices and fat slowly melt and burn.

You can do it with a bit more width and don't neet to put the wheel so high, there are some grills that have the wheel in front.

My grill for example has not moving parts, it is just moving the coals:



Image

Image


Excellent. I must say I am partial to round bar. Use it in my Diablo. The one thing I did notice with the V bar ( and my clients) ...the markings you get on the meat are unique. Not the single line of round bar but rather a set of 2 lines close to each other. For presentation it makes a real impression. And the heat is what does the job and it's so intense that the cooking time is so short that it doesn't maybe about juices collecting in the v bars. I've never seen a quicker turnaround time on order than I have seen with this. The restaurant I supplied this unit to is my favorite...going there for mother's day. The food is just so good.
Image
Regards the height of the bar. We have attachments that clip onto the bar that have hooks for hanging meat above the tray that lifts up and down. This type of roasting I haven't tried but I have the attachment and when I get it home I am going to try. There is another attachment which is very popular in South Africa. A grid...round bar ... that runs across the top bars. It clips on. They rest different sausage and meat products there to get smoked.
I dont have pics on hand .
We also do the wheel on the front but operators complain it gets in the way...I can understand in a commercial kitchen where everything is under pressure. For domestic it's a different matter because the braai is normally built in so front is the only way you can operate it.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sat May 11, 2019 9:43 am 
Online
User avatar

Joined: Wed Apr 27, 2016 1:50 am
Posts: 3922
What are the tomatoes sitting on?


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sat May 11, 2019 11:36 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 10629
Pat the Ex Mat wrote:
What are the tomatoes sitting on?



I was afraid to ask after seeing the roasting colostomy bags. :((


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sat May 11, 2019 11:52 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 3114
Tomatoes are sitting on cheese. Kind of provolone (a soft reggiano) cheese made to be grilled.

Oregano, red pepper flakes, salt and crushed garlick.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sat May 11, 2019 12:06 pm 
Online
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 9194
Location: Texas
julian wrote:
Tomatoes are sitting on cheese. Kind of provolone (a soft reggiano) cheese made to be grilled.

Oregano, red pepper flakes, salt and crushed garlick.

Had something similar as a starter at Don Julio a couple of years back :thumbup:

Less keen on the blood sausage.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sat May 11, 2019 2:00 pm 
Online
User avatar

Joined: Wed Apr 27, 2016 1:50 am
Posts: 3922
Mr Mike wrote:
julian wrote:
Tomatoes are sitting on cheese. Kind of provolone (a soft reggiano) cheese made to be grilled.

Oregano, red pepper flakes, salt and crushed garlick.

Had something similar as a starter at Don Julio a couple of years back :thumbup:

Less keen on the blood sausage.


Love it!


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sat May 11, 2019 2:02 pm 
Online
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 9194
Location: Texas
Pat the Ex Mat wrote:
Mr Mike wrote:
julian wrote:
Tomatoes are sitting on cheese. Kind of provolone (a soft reggiano) cheese made to be grilled.

Oregano, red pepper flakes, salt and crushed garlick.

Had something similar as a starter at Don Julio a couple of years back :thumbup:

Less keen on the blood sausage.


Love it!

The Argie version?


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sat May 11, 2019 4:16 pm 
Offline

Joined: Wed May 30, 2012 5:46 am
Posts: 10411
Bowens wrote:
Appreciate it. Will let you know how everything was.


It was excellent julian. I think you know some people in Atlanta I highly recommend it. Got chorizo as a starter which was ok but the steak was phenomenal.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sat May 11, 2019 9:03 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 28037
Location: Innie Kaap
There is a bloke who imports charcoal from Namibia. He is an old friend of my wife. I use his charcoal and it is brilliant. Whenever we sell a unit we recommend his charcoal. Tonight he invited us out for dinner and I discovered that he has made a good living from selling his charcoal to our clients...who buy 200 bags a month on average.

It was totally unexpected and he wanted to offer a kickback if we recommend his charcoal on our sites...obviously I declined. But I know how outstanding his charcoal is and recommend it anyway...initially his charcoal was too small and would fall between our grids so I mentioned it to him and he got it specially packed for the big pieces...
They just burn for so much longer...Called Hyltons...

The worst charcoal I have tried is Bushbaby...its rubbish...


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sat May 11, 2019 9:07 pm 
Offline

Joined: Wed May 30, 2012 5:46 am
Posts: 10411
Sards that South American style rig you built is really impressive. I’d like to to get something like that over here for the right price.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sat May 11, 2019 11:14 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 3114
Bowens wrote:
Bowens wrote:
Appreciate it. Will let you know how everything was.


It was excellent julian. I think you know some people in Atlanta I highly recommend it. Got chorizo as a starter which was ok but the steak was phenomenal.

I am glad you enjoyed it! I have a couple of very good friends in Atlanta, an outstanding city! I used to travel for work there.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sat May 11, 2019 11:16 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 3114
Bowens wrote:
Sards that South American style rig you built is really impressive. I’d like to to get something like that over here for the right price.

Not to step on Mr Sards outstanding standing rigs but I read there is a US company making top of the line argentinian style grills. Will get the name and let you know.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sat May 11, 2019 11:31 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 10629
Bowens wrote:
Bowens wrote:
Appreciate it. Will let you know how everything was.


It was excellent julian. I think you know some people in Atlanta I highly recommend it. Got chorizo as a starter which was ok but the steak was phenomenal.


Checked the link out! Not great when one is still to have breakfast. Looks awesome.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sun May 12, 2019 3:37 am 
Online
User avatar

Joined: Wed Apr 27, 2016 1:50 am
Posts: 3922
Mr Mike wrote:
Pat the Ex Mat wrote:

Love it!

The Argie version?


All types


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sun May 12, 2019 4:55 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 19815
Location: Stellenbosch
Pat the Ex Mat wrote:
Mr Mike wrote:
Pat the Ex Mat wrote:

Love it!

The Argie version?


All types

Look like kidneys


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sun May 12, 2019 5:36 pm 
Online
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 9194
Location: Texas
OomPB wrote:
Pat the Ex Mat wrote:
Mr Mike wrote:
Pat the Ex Mat wrote:

Love it!

The Argie version?


All types

Look like kidneys

What I didn’t enjoy is that the Argie version I had was wetter and less well seasoned/spiced than blood sausage I’ve had elsewhere, so oozing and pretty bland. The only disappointing dish I had in BA.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sun May 12, 2019 6:21 pm 
Offline

Joined: Wed May 30, 2012 5:46 am
Posts: 10411
julian wrote:
Bowens wrote:
Sards that South American style rig you built is really impressive. I’d like to to get something like that over here for the right price.

Not to step on Mr Sards outstanding standing rigs but I read there is a US company making top of the line argentinian style grills. Will get the name and let you know.


You’re a gent :thumbup:


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sun May 12, 2019 8:27 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 19815
Location: Stellenbosch
saffer13 wrote:
julian wrote:
It seems to be high quality!, although it is suggested that you never use the V shaped but rounded simple iron bars. In V shaped the meat is boiled by own juices, meanwhile rounded bars let juices and fat slowly melt and burn.

You can do it with a bit more width and don't neet to put the wheel so high, there are some grills that have the wheel in front.

My grill for example has not moving parts, it is just moving the coals:



Image

Image

That is a real braai my South African Argentinian friend. :thumbup:

That's steaks look like silverside. It will be tough as tube braaie on that little coals.

Where are the real T bone steaks? Who braai butternut?


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon May 13, 2019 5:29 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 28037
Location: Innie Kaap
Ouboet. Butternut on the braai is the best way to prepare butternut. The smoky flavor is all that's needed to transform a bland tasting vegetable into a great meal to eat.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon May 13, 2019 8:36 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 12739
I think it's in bad taste to knock another man's braai. Keep it clean guys. This is not a trolling fred.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon May 13, 2019 9:31 am 
Online
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 4034
handyman wrote:
I think it's in bad taste to knock another man's braai. Keep it clean guys. This is not a trolling fred.

That's just good old fashioned Saffa "humour".
Needs a Yeeb explanation.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon May 13, 2019 9:35 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 14059
handyman wrote:
I think it's in bad taste to knock another man's braai. Keep it clean guys. This is not a trolling fred.


I agree, except for the first braai that Yank built. And Oom's cremated lamb chops. Those 2 should be trolled.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon May 13, 2019 9:35 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 19815
Location: Stellenbosch
Sards wrote:
Ouboet. Butternut on the braai is the best way to prepare butternut. The smoky flavor is all that's needed to transform a bland tasting vegetable into a great meal to eat.

Kak man, if you want to braai veggies, braai chicken.

Mrs can make pap and veggies on the stove, microwave.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon May 13, 2019 9:43 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 12739
Chilli wrote:
handyman wrote:
I think it's in bad taste to knock another man's braai. Keep it clean guys. This is not a trolling fred.


I agree, except for the first braai that Yank built. And Oom's cremated lamb chops. Those 2 should be trolled.

If I may add a third, Draadkar posted pics of 2 tjops that looked like he braaied it for hours.

But let's keep it to those 3.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon May 13, 2019 9:53 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 10629
handyman wrote:
Chilli wrote:
handyman wrote:
I think it's in bad taste to knock another man's braai. Keep it clean guys. This is not a trolling fred.


I agree, except for the first braai that Yank built. And Oom's cremated lamb chops. Those 2 should be trolled.

If I may add a third, Draadkar posted pics of 2 tjops that looked like he braaied it for hours.

But let's keep it to those 3.


Also Oom's filthy curried afval potjie picture. x(


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon May 13, 2019 9:53 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 28037
Location: Innie Kaap
OomPB wrote:
Sards wrote:
Ouboet. Butternut on the braai is the best way to prepare butternut. The smoky flavor is all that's needed to transform a bland tasting vegetable into a great meal to eat.

Kak man, if you want to braai veggies, braai chicken.

Mrs can make pap and veggies on the stove, microwave.


I have given up trying to educate you about braai....

You are still a caveman when it comes to that...

You still gooi your meat onto the coals and when you are about to pass out from dop the wife takes it off for you...
You beat your chest...let rip a stinking fart and declare yourself the best Braaier in the world


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon May 13, 2019 9:54 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 28037
Location: Innie Kaap
sorCrer wrote:
handyman wrote:
Chilli wrote:
handyman wrote:
I think it's in bad taste to knock another man's braai. Keep it clean guys. This is not a trolling fred.


I agree, except for the first braai that Yank built. And Oom's cremated lamb chops. Those 2 should be trolled.

If I may add a third, Draadkar posted pics of 2 tjops that looked like he braaied it for hours.

But let's keep it to those 3.


Also Oom's filthy curried afval potjie picture. x(



I have never seen you post an effort....

Dik Swak


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon May 13, 2019 10:31 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 14059
sorCrer wrote:
handyman wrote:
Chilli wrote:
handyman wrote:
I think it's in bad taste to knock another man's braai. Keep it clean guys. This is not a trolling fred.


I agree, except for the first braai that Yank built. And Oom's cremated lamb chops. Those 2 should be trolled.

If I may add a third, Draadkar posted pics of 2 tjops that looked like he braaied it for hours.

But let's keep it to those 3.


Also Oom's filthy curried afval potjie picture. x(


We have a winner, or would that be loser?


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon May 13, 2019 10:39 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 10629
Sards wrote:
sorCrer wrote:
handyman wrote:
Chilli wrote:
handyman wrote:
I think it's in bad taste to knock another man's braai. Keep it clean guys. This is not a trolling fred.


I agree, except for the first braai that Yank built. And Oom's cremated lamb chops. Those 2 should be trolled.

If I may add a third, Draadkar posted pics of 2 tjops that looked like he braaied it for hours.

But let's keep it to those 3.


Also Oom's filthy curried afval potjie picture. x(



I have never seen you post an effort....

Dik Swak



Braai effort?

I don't sit around taking photo's of food. I eat it. Normally if it's a braai, with huge quantities of alcohol. There would be some sadness if I started taking pics of it.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon May 13, 2019 10:44 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 28037
Location: Innie Kaap
sorCrer wrote:
Sards wrote:
sorCrer wrote:
handyman wrote:
Chilli wrote:

I agree, except for the first braai that Yank built. And Oom's cremated lamb chops. Those 2 should be trolled.

If I may add a third, Draadkar posted pics of 2 tjops that looked like he braaied it for hours.

But let's keep it to those 3.


Also Oom's filthy curried afval potjie picture. x(



I have never seen you post an effort....

Dik Swak



Braai effort?

I don't sit around taking photo's of food. I eat it. Normally if it's a braai, with huge quantities of alcohol. There would be some sadness if I started taking pics of it.



Yo should never be ashamed...look at Ouboets efforts...he has no shame


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon May 13, 2019 11:59 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 3114
Bowens wrote:
julian wrote:
Bowens wrote:
Sards that South American style rig you built is really impressive. I’d like to to get something like that over here for the right price.

Not to step on Mr Sards outstanding standing rigs but I read there is a US company making top of the line argentinian style grills. Will get the name and let you know.


You’re a gent :thumbup:

This is the one I was looking for, although quite expensive from what I've seen. http://www.grillworksusa.com/


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon May 13, 2019 12:03 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 3114
OomPB wrote:
saffer13 wrote:
julian wrote:
It seems to be high quality!, although it is suggested that you never use the V shaped but rounded simple iron bars. In V shaped the meat is boiled by own juices, meanwhile rounded bars let juices and fat slowly melt and burn.

You can do it with a bit more width and don't neet to put the wheel so high, there are some grills that have the wheel in front.

My grill for example has not moving parts, it is just moving the coals:



Spoiler: show
Image

Image

That is a real braai my South African Argentinian friend. :thumbup:

That's steaks look like silverside. It will be tough as tube braaie on that little coals.

Where are the real T bone steaks? Who braai butternut?


That is vacío, a premium cut of grass fed cattle, the taste is amazing and you can cut it with a spoon.

The look is because I trimmed some fat from it.

Regarding the butternut squash, it has extra virgin olive oil, some rosemary and sea salt, when is cooked that way for two hours at least you get a very soft, smoked and very very sweet result. Try it!


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon May 13, 2019 12:08 pm 
Offline

Joined: Wed May 30, 2012 5:46 am
Posts: 10411
julian wrote:
Bowens wrote:
julian wrote:
Bowens wrote:
Sards that South American style rig you built is really impressive. I’d like to to get something like that over here for the right price.

Not to step on Mr Sards outstanding standing rigs but I read there is a US company making top of the line argentinian style grills. Will get the name and let you know.


You’re a gent :thumbup:

This is the one I was looking for, although quite expensive from what I've seen. http://www.grillworksusa.com/


The basic models aren’t too bad. I see they use their equipment at a local Basque restaurant. Interesting - thanks!


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon May 13, 2019 12:10 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 19815
Location: Stellenbosch
Sards wrote:
Yo should never be ashamed...look at Ouboets efforts...he has no shame

Coming from a poster that I need to give all my potjies recepies. You are becoming a real poes lately.

You and ScorCer is anyway soutpiele that will never eat afval.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon May 13, 2019 12:13 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 28037
Location: Innie Kaap
Image

Those things are way over priced...a little fanciness and a fortune in marketing.
I make this little unit for peoples homes.
You slide your coals under in a tray and turn it up and down....Does the same job and fits into any fire place...fraction of the price


Last edited by Sards on Mon May 13, 2019 12:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon May 13, 2019 12:14 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 9379
Location: Kenya
Two braais this last weekend.

My teeth are in agony :lol:

The meat was great on both occasions, just the volume got to me.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon May 13, 2019 12:16 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 10629
OomPB wrote:
Sards wrote:
Yo should never be ashamed...look at Ouboets efforts...he has no shame

Coming from a poster that I need to give all my potjies recepies. You are becoming a real poes lately.

You and ScorCer is anyway soutpiele that will never eat afval.


Jou ma fokken smaak van soutpiel.


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 7000 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 163, 164, 165, 166, 167, 168, 169 ... 175  Next

All times are UTC [ DST ]


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: alliswell, BillW, Bing [Bot], Bokkom, Diabhal, eugenefraxby, fatcat, Google Adsense [Bot], Mr Mike, Pat the Ex Mat, rugga., sonic_attack, The Native, Tuivasa, Wilderbeast, Winnie and 1 guest


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group