Chat Forum
It is currently Wed Nov 13, 2019 1:39 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 36067 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 875, 876, 877, 878, 879, 880, 881 ... 902  Next
PostPosted: Sun May 19, 2019 11:10 am 

Wendigo7 wrote:
The Man Without Fear wrote:
Sefton wrote:
Just seen the score, what a team City are.

Financial doping allied to sportswashing at its finest.

Correct - there's being financially stronger allied with a great homegrown youth, like United and Barcelona did... but this is ridiculous. Financial doping on a very bad scale. It's not a competitive league if this is what's to come.

It’s still more competitive than Spain, France, Italy or Germany.

PostPosted: Sun May 19, 2019 11:10 am 

Jim Lahey wrote:
Wendigo7 wrote:
Sefton wrote:

Correct - there's being financially stronger allied with a great homegrown youth, like United and Barcelona did... but this is ridiculous. Financial doping on a very bad scale. It's not a competitive league if this is what's to come.

Don’t think this is a new phenomenon.
Excluding Utd’s Class of 92’s triumphs, and Blackburn in 95, has there been a league winning team that hasn’t been built around bought-in foreigners?
Chelsea and Citeh bought their seats at the top table, as have Liverpool to a lesser extent given they have 1 or 2 academy products and a few bought-in English players and a whole host of mercenaries.
It just the way of the sport at the highest level these days, totally devoid of a soul.

Blackburn bought in everyone for their league win. Granted they were UK-based players but they were practically the Fantasy Football team for that short period of time.

PostPosted: Sun May 19, 2019 12:45 pm 

Wendigo7 wrote:
Sefton wrote:

City’s bench yesterday was bought at something like £250 million
Watford’s starting XI cost £47 million
Absolutely anything city wins is tainted

PostPosted: Sun May 19, 2019 3:49 pm 

Man Utd, Blackburn and Chelsea were all financially dominant in the era of their respective successes, City are no different.

PostPosted: Sun May 19, 2019 4:38 pm 

Sefton wrote:
Man Utd, Blackburn and Chelsea were all financially dominant in the era of their respective successes, City are no different.

Uniteds money didnt come from a sugardaddy

Had it been anyone but Liverpool I'd have wanted them to beat City to the title

PostPosted: Sun May 19, 2019 6:07 pm 

Jim Lahey wrote:
Wendigo7 wrote:
Sefton wrote:

Don’t think this is a new phenomenon.
Excluding Utd’s Class of 92’s triumphs, and Blackburn in 95, has there been a league winning team that hasn’t been built around bought-in foreigners?
Chelsea and Citeh bought their seats at the top table, as have Liverpool to a lesser extent given they have 1 or 2 academy products and a few bought-in English players and a whole host of mercenaries.
It just the way of the sport at the highest level these days, totally devoid of a soul.

Despite the retcon of Class of 92, most of whom didn't play as regulars to years later in 1995, The early Utd Premiership dominance have always been packed with foreigners and players they brought. Cantona, Keane, Porboski, McClair, Irwin, Kanchelskis as "foreign players" and Ince, May, Bruce, Dublin, Sharpe, Pallister as players Fergie brought in. Of course just about all English teams had an English core back then. The dominance by foreign players is everywhere,from the shite to the sublime. Blackburn basically brought the league, english players, yes, but no more or less soulless than Man City.

But I agree with the sentiment, about how English teams are almost english only because of where their stadium is. I think it wasn't helped that by the time we had Wenger many English teams started to develop English players poor due to the big money of the premiership and demands of wages because of it so foreign players became an easy short cut.

PostPosted: Sun May 19, 2019 6:10 pm 

bimboman wrote:
Wendigo7 wrote:
Sefton wrote:

It’s still more competitive than Spain, France, Italy or Germany.

Is it? Looks to me highest money wins, with Leicester being a one off fluke.

PostPosted: Sun May 19, 2019 6:27 pm 

Wendigo7 wrote:
Sefton wrote:

You've got to remember when Man United produced those 5 or 6 players from the youth team of 1992 most of the players in the Premier league were British and we still even had Scottish players making it into the premier league. If it's financial doping why don't you give your evidence to UEFA. I'm sure they will be grateful.

PostPosted: Mon May 20, 2019 8:46 am 

Really enjoyed the cup final up until kick off :nod:

I know it'll sound a bit pathetic, but city's support was rubbish. No noise from them at all until they were 3-0 up. :uhoh:

edit: Apparently this year is the first time that all 5 big leagues have been retained. Competition :lol:

PostPosted: Mon May 20, 2019 10:14 am 

Plastic Sarrie wrote:

edit: Apparently this year is the first time that all 5 big leagues have been retained. Competition :lol:

Interesting stat. Certainly downgrades the "A is more competitive than B" debates, you know when some posters are claiming English leagues increased competitiveness while spanish teams go deeper in europe and win europes trophies.

PostPosted: Mon May 20, 2019 1:18 pm 

So apparently Barca have agreed to sign De Ligt now and as a result Umtiti is on his way out.

I really rate Umtiti and he was excellent before his injury for Barca and France but he appears to have fallen behind Lenglet.

Unless Coutinho is going to play midfield you'd imagine he has to be moving on if Barca do sign Griezmann. It would help fund the deals (along with Gomes moving on for 30m ish)

With De Jong coming in I imagine we're going to see less and less of Busquets who has been well of the pace when games opened up this season.

Hopefully Alena will come through and play more, he looks a talent and Barca need more homegrown players again.

Next season

Griezmann/Dembele - Suarez/Griezmann - Messi
Arthur/Vidal - Rakitic/De Jong
De Jong/Busquets
Alba - Pique - De Ligt - Roberto/Semedo
Ter Stegen

PostPosted: Mon May 20, 2019 1:24 pm 

I suspect that although it hamstrung the club in general, the three foreigners rule for European competitions, which was abolished in 1995, helped the class of 92 in forcing Ferguson's hand to play some of them. And foreign meant Scotland, NI and Wales, so Giggs was classified as a foreigner.

PostPosted: Mon May 20, 2019 2:32 pm 

Plastic Sarrie wrote:

Interesting

PostPosted: Tue May 21, 2019 1:09 pm 

Mkhitaryan has been told by Azerbaijan that his safety cannot be guaranteed if he travels to Baku to play for Arsenal in the Europa League Final so Arsenal have had to drop him from their squad.

An utter shambles from UEFA holding the final in Baku. It would be good for the game if the two London clubs just told UEFA where to go and arranged the game themselves at Wembley.

PostPosted: Tue May 21, 2019 1:17 pm 

Complete joke.

Won't happen as there's too much money at stake, but Arsenal should be saying that if they can't guarantee the safety of all of their players, none of them will travel.

PostPosted: Tue May 21, 2019 2:54 pm 

Crazy that a European final between two English sides is to be played in a city closer to Mumbai than it is London.

PostPosted: Tue May 21, 2019 3:19 pm 

Sun Tzu wrote:
Crazy that a European final between two English sides is to be played in a city closer to Mumbai than it is London.

Or Addis Ababa

PostPosted: Wed May 22, 2019 8:41 pm 

This is terrible

Man Utd: Giant sausage thrown at disabled section during West Ham game

Poor bastards already have enough problems in life supporting Man U.

PostPosted: Wed May 22, 2019 11:02 pm 

ForzaIt wrote:
Mkhitaryan has been told by Azerbaijan that his safety cannot be guaranteed if he travels to Baku to play for Arsenal in the Europa League Final so Arsenal have had to drop him from their squad.

An utter shambles from UEFA holding the final in Baku. It would be good for the game if the two London clubs just told UEFA where to go and arranged the game themselves at Wembley.

Is that true though? What I’ve read they have and arsenal have said as much as well. Seems more he isn’t prepared to take the risk (which I have no issue with btw)

PostPosted: Wed May 22, 2019 11:17 pm 

bessantj wrote:
This is terrible

Man Utd: Giant sausage thrown at disabled section during West Ham game

Poor bastards already have enough problems in life supporting Man U.

That might earn you a ban, depending on which mod sees the post.

PostPosted: Wed May 22, 2019 11:38 pm 

ForzaIt wrote:

fudge off toga.

PostPosted: Sat May 25, 2019 9:54 pm 

Barcelona 1 Valencia 2 in the Spanish Cup Final.

PostPosted: Sat May 25, 2019 10:17 pm 

swc wrote:
ForzaIt wrote:

Is that true though? What I’ve read they have and arsenal have said as much as well. Seems more he isn’t prepared to take the risk (which I have no issue with btw)

Don't know if they could have guaranteed his safety but their most certainly said they could

PostPosted: Sun May 26, 2019 7:32 am 

Football? Bloody hell!

To this day I've never seen anything like it.

PostPosted: Sun May 26, 2019 8:03 am 

swc wrote:
ForzaIt wrote:

No its not true.

PostPosted: Sun May 26, 2019 8:26 am 

Sun Tzu wrote:

Congrats to Valencia... a big club with alot of near misses.

Barcelona doing a PSG and effectively turning off post Champs League.

Do they really think Griezmann will solve their issues? To me, the entire issue about Real Madrid and Barca isn't necessarily good players but as a whole, the teams play way too slow. You may get away with that through talent against the middling champions league sides, but against Liverpool, City... probably Ajax too... they aren't fast enough and don't pose enough of a threat.

PostPosted: Sun May 26, 2019 8:32 am 

Wendigo7 wrote:
Sun Tzu wrote:

Congrats to Valencia... a big club with alot of near misses.

Barcelona doing a PSG and effectively turning off post Champs League.

Do they really think Griezmann will solve their issues? To me, the entire issue about Real Madrid and Barca isn't necessarily good players but as a whole, the teams play way too slow. You may get away with that through talent against the middling champions league sides, but against Liverpool, City... probably Ajax too... they aren't fast enough and don't pose enough of a threat.

They have won it for the last 5 seasons so I'm guessing you are basing your in depth analysis on one season.

PostPosted: Sun May 26, 2019 10:44 am 

c69 wrote:
swc wrote:
ForzaIt wrote:

No its not true.

What makes you say it isn't true?

PostPosted: Sun May 26, 2019 10:53 am 

Barca lost. Has anyone checked on Earl the beaver?

Last edited by ScarfaceClaw on Sun May 26, 2019 10:53 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sun May 26, 2019 10:53 am 

eldanielfire wrote:
c69 wrote:
swc wrote:
ForzaIt wrote:

No its not true.

The reports I have seen. And the comments from the Government and the European fottball authority.
Whether you believe what they say is another matter. For the record I think playing the final there is logistically ridiculous

PostPosted: Sun May 26, 2019 4:59 pm 

Sun Tzu wrote:
Football? Bloody hell!

To this day I've never seen anything like it.

Quote:

Schmeichel and Stam both spent time in the army, Schmeichel not turning professional until he was 24, while Stam didn’t play in the Eredivisie until he was 23. Irwin was given a free transfer by Leeds; Keane learnt that he was too small, writing to, and unwanted by, every top division English club, only signing for semi-professional Cobh Ramblers at the age of 18, before suffering a career-threatening injury as he reached his peak. Cole was released by Arsenal, rejected by Fulham, then ridiculed by the media and the England manager; Sheringham didn’t play in the top division until he was 26 and Europe until he was 31. Before signing for United, Solskjaer was turned down by Hamburg, Cagliari, Manchester City and Everton, while Yorke, born in a non-footballing country, sold land crabs to tourists to pay for boots, saw the game as a “way out” of his overcrowded home and slept with a football in his bed until he was 25. They played like they could not believe their good fortune.

Even among the homegrown players, there was a mental toughness and an appreciation. The Neville brothers, dubbed the Nervous Brothers by Scholes, doubted themselves and devoted their lives accordingly, and though Giggs and Beckham were always going to make it, both suffered formative and exceptional adversity; not just the most fortunate natural talents of their generation, but also the most determined.

Incredible read really. They were a team full of men instead of the man-child's that infest that club now.

PostPosted: Sun May 26, 2019 5:42 pm 

eldanielfire wrote:
c69 wrote:
swc wrote:
ForzaIt wrote:

No its not true.

Azerbaijan saying the exact opposite

PostPosted: Sun May 26, 2019 6:56 pm 

c69 wrote:
eldanielfire wrote:
c69 wrote:
swc wrote:
ForzaIt wrote:

No its not true.

The reports I have seen. And the comments from the Government and the European fottball authority.
Whether you believe what they say is another matter. For the record I think playing the final there is logistically ridiculous

Quote:

https://www.independent.co.uk/sport/foo ... 29576.html

According to a 2012 opinion poll, 91 per cent of Azerbaijanis perceive Armenia as their “biggest enemy”. Those of Armenian descent – even if they are not Armenian citizens – are routinely denied entry to the country. “Armenia is not even a colony, it is not even worthy of being a servant,” an Azerbaijani called Ilham Aliyev tweeted in early 2015, which would have been alarming enough even if you didn’t know he was the country’s president.

Quote:

Despite its blanket refusal to let Armenian citizens across its border, the Azerbaijan government had agreed to make an exception for Mkhitaryan as long as the midfielder agreed to play ball and nothing else.

Doesn't sound like he will be particularly safe to me if he said the wrong thing.

PostPosted: Mon May 27, 2019 11:04 am 

https://twitter.com/HarkemaseBoys/status/1132299172621631488/video/1

The Ref scores a goal and lets it stand :lol:

PostPosted: Mon May 27, 2019 2:25 pm 

sewa wrote:

As he should.

Now time for the £170m game.

UTV!

PostPosted: Mon May 27, 2019 3:23 pm 

Sefton wrote:

Man Utd's financial dominance came on the back of their success, not vice versa.

PostPosted: Mon May 27, 2019 3:44 pm 

Sun Tzu wrote:
sewa wrote:

As he should.

Now time for the £170m game.

UTV!

Get in!

PostPosted: Mon May 27, 2019 3:49 pm 

Plastic Sarrie wrote:

Germany and Italy have been tied up for years by Bayern and Juve (7 and 8 consecutive titles respectively), PSG have been dominant in France (6 titles in 7 seasons) and Spain has generally been a Barcelona procession (7 titles in 10 seasons). All it took was the only really competitive of the big five leagues to have a club manage to retain the title (the first time it's happened in the EPL for more than a decade).

PostPosted: Mon May 27, 2019 3:50 pm 

Come on Villa... was patchy for the 20-35 min mark.... just need to get on the ball and keep getting at Cole. Would bring on Kodja for Adomah.

PostPosted: Mon May 27, 2019 3:56 pm 

4071 wrote:
Sefton wrote:

Man Utd's financial dominance came on the back of their success, not vice versa.

And a bit of luck. They were lucky they became successful right at the start of the Premiership era where bigger sums due to Sky winning the rights helped the right clubs start to pull ahead. But either way, whatever happened in the past and who, when, what and how, financial power is so considerably the dominating influence in football now there is a huge element of soulless element to the game.

Hence we see the weird phenomenon of city fans doing the triple, but not being entirely happy because other fans don't care that much about it. The finances are both creating a twin dilemma of more demand for success, but more emotional distance between clubs and their fan bases so fans aren't satisfied or happy.

Last edited by eldanielfire on Wed May 29, 2019 5:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 36067 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 875, 876, 877, 878, 879, 880, 881 ... 902  Next