Chat Forum
It is currently Fri Nov 15, 2019 2:00 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 588 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 11, 12, 13, 14, 15  Next
Author Message
PostPosted: Sun May 26, 2019 9:49 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Thu Jun 11, 2015 12:51 pm
Posts: 1977
Congrats Leinster, well deserved. You sucked the life and joy out of that match like only you and Schmidt's Ireland can do and bloody hell it's effective.

Glasgow didn't find the answers; the rain didn't help and there's a decent what-if to be had if the second half scrum penalty for the wheeling scrum would have gone to the dominant side in that scrum, but overall they were clearly second best in that final and despite the 3-point difference it never really felt like a close match.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sun May 26, 2019 10:05 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 7573
lorcanoworms wrote:
dargotronV.1 wrote:
Kearney was lucky not to see red, I thought, for the way Hogg landed on his head.

Glasgow will feel they lost that with the Hogg charge down the difference, but Leinster deserved the win imo. Suffocated Glasgow second half. OK, they were dull dull dull in getting there but it was very effective.

A red because because yellow is not working, these in the air stupid tackles are still happening.
Dull? I thought Leinster made a lot of breaks from deep, but just couldn't find each other or panicked.
Handling is poor.


My reaction was red, but to be perfectly honest I’ve no idea where we are with it at the moment. A year ago it was unquestionably red, absolutely no doubt, but they seem to have slackened off recently. It’s a bit of a shit show.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sun May 26, 2019 10:19 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 51383
Leinster running on fumes in the second half and our bench isn't as strong as it used to be.

I think not taking the 3 points was balanced out by spending a load of time near their try line. Not convinced taking 3 would have definitely worked out better.

The pick and go going nowhere that we eventually gave up the penalty for is not really what we're used to from Leinster but given the aforementioned tiredness and conditions, I guess it was all they could manage, was clear it was going to end in a penalty at least 5 phases before it did though so someone should have tried to find the corner.

Tough 3 weekends for Leinster, glad we've something to show from it. Hard luck Glasgow.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sun May 26, 2019 10:20 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 51383
My initial reaction to Kearney's collision was straight red. I can see why Owens convinced himself yellow was OK but I wouldn't be surprised to see a citing.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sun May 26, 2019 10:55 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 8171
CM11 wrote:
My initial reaction to Kearney's collision was straight red. I can see why Owens convinced himself yellow was OK but I wouldn't be surprised to see a citing.

Is there a clip of the incident?


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sun May 26, 2019 11:19 am 
Offline

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 1130
Hong Kong wrote:
CM11 wrote:
My initial reaction to Kearney's collision was straight red. I can see why Owens convinced himself yellow was OK but I wouldn't be surprised to see a citing.

Is there a clip of the incident?

https://twitter.com/premiersportstv/sta ... 11553?s=21


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sun May 26, 2019 11:30 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sun May 22, 2016 9:43 am
Posts: 21961
Another weekend, another Leinster win.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sun May 26, 2019 12:06 pm 
Offline

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 33470
Location: Pigdogistan
Mullet 2 wrote:
Another weekend, another Leinster trophy.

:thumbup:


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sun May 26, 2019 12:19 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 7904
That is a red card all day, every day.

Jared Payne got a red card for doing something similar in 2014. Owens bottled it.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sun May 26, 2019 12:29 pm 
Offline

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 34122
Location: Dublin
Willie Falloon wrote:
That is a red card all day, every day.

Jared Payne got a red card for doing something similar in 2014. Owens bottled it.


Hard luck Willie. Better luck next year


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sun May 26, 2019 12:32 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 35507
Willie Falloon wrote:
That is a red card all day, every day.

Jared Payne got a red card for doing something similar in 2014. Owens bottled it.

The interpretation has changed since then.

Land on the head = red

Land on neck/shoulder/back = yellow.

I wouldn't have been surprised at a red, but given Owens earlier cop out on the no arms blindside charge on a player not in possession of the ball, the YC also didn't surprise me.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sun May 26, 2019 12:35 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 11943
Location: Belfast
Willie Falloon wrote:
That is a red card all day, every day.

Jared Payne got a red card for doing something similar in 2014. Owens bottled it.


And the next season the exact same ref gave a wasps player a yellow when he did precisely the same to a Leinster player (think it may have been Daverage). Im not disagreeing with you but you can hardly say the officiating has been consistent in this area and Owens is out on his own in terms of deviating from it.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sun May 26, 2019 1:08 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 6984
Still banging on about 2014 :lol:


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sun May 26, 2019 1:14 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 6898
Leinster might have been without a player for another 5 minutes but Glasgow should have been down a man for 10.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sun May 26, 2019 1:17 pm 
Offline

Joined: Wed Oct 19, 2016 2:54 pm
Posts: 4439
camroc1 wrote:
Willie Falloon wrote:
That is a red card all day, every day.

Jared Payne got a red card for doing something similar in 2014. Owens bottled it.

The interpretation has changed since then.

Land on the head = red

Land on neck/shoulder/back = yellow.

I wouldn't have been surprised at a red, but given Owens earlier cop out on the no arms blindside charge on a player not in possession of the ball, the YC also didn't surprise me.


Both decisions were definitely wrong.

In Kearney's case he wasn't targeting the ball at all, he jumped out 5cm off the ground. That should be a red, they should look at the contest not the result. But in the laws I understand.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sun May 26, 2019 1:38 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 1037
Location: Embra
Looked like a yellow to me in real time. On replay looks a bit worse so marginal red at worst. Given the leniency on Browns (also marginal) non-yellow, you could argue consistency. Gutted for Hogg on his last game for the Weegies. Also that it was his error that let them in at the start.

Congrats to Leinster on the win. Line speed and BR were excellent. Rode your luck, but deserved it in the end.

Great to see the form of Cummings and Fagerson, but Harley, Gibbins were outclassed.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sun May 26, 2019 1:41 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 7573
Liathroidigloine wrote:
Leinster might have been without a player for another 5 minutes but Glasgow should have been down a man for 10.


I’m tempted to give Owens the benefit of the doubt on both. The Brown one looked pretty crass but Owens said he believed the 9 genuinely had the ball so gave a bit of leeway. Kearny didn’t do out to injure Hogg, it was a just a crap challenge. I think it probably should have been red because it is so dangerous but I can see why in the context of the game he came up with the yellow.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sun May 26, 2019 1:49 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 29266
Willie Falloon wrote:
That is a red card all day, every day.

Jared Payne got a red card for doing something similar in 2014. Owens bottled it.


Nah, they haven’t been reffing it like that for ages now


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sun May 26, 2019 1:55 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 9450
slick wrote:
Liathroidigloine wrote:
Leinster might have been without a player for another 5 minutes but Glasgow should have been down a man for 10.


I’m tempted to give Owens the benefit of the doubt on both. The Brown one looked pretty crass but Owens said he believed the 9 genuinely had the ball so gave a bit of leeway. Kearny didn’t do out to injure Hogg, it was a just a crap challenge. I think it probably should have been red because it is so dangerous but I can see why in the context of the game he came up with the yellow.


Don’t think the ref or the decisions made a blind bit of difference to the result

Kearney could have easily gotten red, while brown was lucky also. Luke McGrath was actually in the air when he was blindsided without the ball, while at least Kearney only had eyes for the ball ....

Glasgow need to have a word with their fans ..... it’s not soccer ffs

Same as the Munster fans last week, Glasgow fans need to understand that deliberately wheeling the scrum does not equal scrum dominance

Leinster refused to play basketball and got the job done ..... wasn’t pretty but it was a final and we were clinical

Glasgow are really on the up with rennie and are a good shout for the league and Europe next season

Finally - really impressed with Cummings


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sun May 26, 2019 9:07 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Mon Feb 06, 2012 3:33 am
Posts: 2151
camroc1 wrote:
Willie Falloon wrote:
That is a red card all day, every day.

Jared Payne got a red card for doing something similar in 2014. Owens bottled it.

The interpretation has changed since then.

Land on the head = red

Land on neck/shoulder/back = yellow.

I wouldn't have been surprised at a red, but given Owens earlier cop out on the no arms blindside charge on a player not in possession of the ball, the YC also didn't surprise me.

That was the previous guidance no? The most recent update, operating since 2016, was:

Quote:
Penalty only – Fair challenge with wrong timing - No pulling down
Yellow card – Not a fair challenge, there is no contest and the player is pulled down landing on his back or side
Red card – It’s not a fair challenge with no contest, whilst being a reckless or deliberate foul play action and the player lands in a dangerous position


So back or side is yellow. Which by process of elimination suggests that 'a dangerous position' covers head, neck, shoulders and upper body.

If you were walking through that as a mental tick list as an official I'm not sure how you come to any decision other than red.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sun May 26, 2019 9:35 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 17683
By noticing hogg didn't land in his neck or head


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sun May 26, 2019 10:03 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 7573
rfurlong wrote:
slick wrote:
Liathroidigloine wrote:
Leinster might have been without a player for another 5 minutes but Glasgow should have been down a man for 10.


I’m tempted to give Owens the benefit of the doubt on both. The Brown one looked pretty crass but Owens said he believed the 9 genuinely had the ball so gave a bit of leeway. Kearny didn’t do out to injure Hogg, it was a just a crap challenge. I think it probably should have been red because it is so dangerous but I can see why in the context of the game he came up with the yellow.


Don’t think the ref or the decisions made a blind bit of difference to the result

Kearney could have easily gotten red, while brown was lucky also. Luke McGrath was actually in the air when he was blindsided without the ball, while at least Kearney only had eyes for the ball ....

Glasgow need to have a word with their fans ..... it’s not soccer ffs

Same as the Munster fans last week, Glasgow fans need to understand that deliberately wheeling the scrum does not equal scrum dominance

Leinster refused to play basketball and got the job done ..... wasn’t pretty but it was a final and we were clinical

Glasgow are really on the up with rennie and are a good shout for the league and Europe next season

Finally - really impressed with Cummings


This is a really poor post in many respects


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sun May 26, 2019 11:11 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Mon Feb 06, 2012 3:33 am
Posts: 2151
nardol wrote:
By noticing hogg didn't land in his neck or head

Surely, given the guidance I've quoted above, if he noticed he didn't land on his back or side then it should not have been a yellow card?

The head or neck thing went away back in 2016 for tackles in the air.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon May 27, 2019 9:02 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 11382
Location: Best country in the world.
dargotronV.1 wrote:
Conspicuous wrote:
rfurlong wrote:
Quote:
Disappointing experience. Glasgow fans heckling Leinster players as they warm up, swearing at ref over every decision, booing the kicker - terrible rugby etiquette. Venue didn’t take card payments. After match surrounding area full of sectarian football fans. Bit shit Pro14...


Comment from neutral fan at today’s match


Where did you take this from ? A few people on FB saying the atmosphere at the match was pretty toxic . I watched the game in a busy pub so couldn’t hear much

Atmosphere wasn't toxic, was great from what I heard :thumbup:


It was total shit. Very nasty element in the stadium, a lot of whom had never been to rugby match in their lives listening to the stupid comments about the 'rules' from where I was sitting.
No respect for the winners or indeed their own team as the stadium emptied before the medals were handed out. Been to a lot of finals, this was the worst venue and crowd I have ever witnessed.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon May 27, 2019 9:04 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sun May 22, 2016 9:43 am
Posts: 21961
That's a shame to hear, looked great on the TV.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon May 27, 2019 9:11 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 11382
Location: Best country in the world.
Mullet 2 wrote:
That's a shame to hear, looked great on the TV.


I actually haven't watched it back yet as I am still in the UK. Never been to Parkhead before........won't be rushing back.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon May 27, 2019 9:19 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 10263
slick wrote:
Liathroidigloine wrote:
Leinster might have been without a player for another 5 minutes but Glasgow should have been down a man for 10.


I’m tempted to give Owens the benefit of the doubt on both. The Brown one looked pretty crass but Owens said he believed the 9 genuinely had the ball so gave a bit of leeway. Kearny didn’t do out to injure Hogg, it was a just a crap challenge. I think it probably should have been red because it is so dangerous but I can see why in the context of the game he came up with the yellow.

Mystic Nige.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon May 27, 2019 9:25 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sun May 22, 2016 9:43 am
Posts: 21961
sewa wrote:
Nigel Leinster Owens



Very unruggerlike

You don't like to see it


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon May 27, 2019 9:28 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 6898
Mullet 2 wrote:
sewa wrote:
Nigel Leinster Owens



Very unruggerlike

You don't like to see it


The southern province used to thrive on bitterness, now it eats them.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon May 27, 2019 9:30 am 
Offline

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 34122
Location: Dublin
This is the same Nigel who gifted Munster their 2nd Heineken Cup in 2008 by allowing them to seal off every ruck. That Nigel?


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon May 27, 2019 10:03 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 20909
Mullet 2 wrote:
sewa wrote:
Nigel Leinster Owens



Very unruggerlike

You don't like to see it


Well given you are all doing it no point me maintaining a line in the sand


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon May 27, 2019 10:03 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 3985
The Sun God wrote:
dargotronV.1 wrote:
Conspicuous wrote:
rfurlong wrote:
Quote:
Disappointing experience. Glasgow fans heckling Leinster players as they warm up, swearing at ref over every decision, booing the kicker - terrible rugby etiquette. Venue didn’t take card payments. After match surrounding area full of sectarian football fans. Bit shit Pro14...


Comment from neutral fan at today’s match


Where did you take this from ? A few people on FB saying the atmosphere at the match was pretty toxic . I watched the game in a busy pub so couldn’t hear much

Atmosphere wasn't toxic, was great from what I heard :thumbup:


It was total shit. Very nasty element in the stadium, a lot of whom had never been to rugby match in their lives listening to the stupid comments about the 'rules' from where I was sitting.
No respect for the winners or indeed their own team as the stadium emptied before the medals were handed out. Been to a lot of finals, this was the worst venue and crowd I have ever witnessed.

I'm sure they would have been grateful for you to be there educating them.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon May 27, 2019 10:07 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sun May 22, 2016 9:43 am
Posts: 21961
sewa wrote:
Mullet 2 wrote:
sewa wrote:
Nigel Leinster Owens



Very unruggerlike

You don't like to see it


Well given you are all doing it no point me maintaining a line in the sand



Very boorish altogether


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon May 27, 2019 10:26 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 11382
Location: Best country in the world.
dargotronV.1 wrote:
The Sun God wrote:
dargotronV.1 wrote:
rfurlong wrote:
Quote:
Disappointing experience. Glasgow fans heckling Leinster players as they warm up, swearing at ref over every decision, booing the kicker - terrible rugby etiquette. Venue didn’t take card payments. After match surrounding area full of sectarian football fans. Bit shit Pro14...


Comment from neutral fan at today’s match



Atmosphere wasn't toxic, was great from what I heard :thumbup:


It was total shit. Very nasty element in the stadium, a lot of whom had never been to rugby match in their lives listening to the stupid comments about the 'rules' from where I was sitting.
No respect for the winners or indeed their own team as the stadium emptied before the medals were handed out. Been to a lot of finals, this was the worst venue and crowd I have ever witnessed.

I'm sure they would have been grateful for you to be there educating them.


Why would I be arsed doing that ?. Much better to leave them wallow in their ignorance.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon May 27, 2019 11:41 am 
Offline

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 2028
Location: Down by the Riverside
The Sun God wrote:
dargotronV.1 wrote:
Conspicuous wrote:
rfurlong wrote:
Quote:
Disappointing experience. Glasgow fans heckling Leinster players as they warm up, swearing at ref over every decision, booing the kicker - terrible rugby etiquette. Venue didn’t take card payments. After match surrounding area full of sectarian football fans. Bit shit Pro14...


Comment from neutral fan at today’s match


Where did you take this from ? A few people on FB saying the atmosphere at the match was pretty toxic . I watched the game in a busy pub so couldn’t hear much

Atmosphere wasn't toxic, was great from what I heard :thumbup:


It was total shit. Very nasty element in the stadium, a lot of whom had never been to rugby match in their lives listening to the stupid comments about the 'rules' from where I was sitting.
No respect for the winners or indeed their own team as the stadium emptied before the medals were handed out. Been to a lot of finals, this was the worst venue and crowd I have ever witnessed.


Pretty much agree with all of that. Lots of foul-mouthed shouting with booing, laughing while they did it.
What a contrast to Newcastle HEC or Edinburgh 2009, where the stadia was full rugby heads, who respected the match.
Would not go back to a soccer stadium in Scotland.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon May 27, 2019 11:43 am 
Offline

Joined: Fri Jan 10, 2014 5:24 pm
Posts: 4863
iarmhiman wrote:
This is the same Nigel who gifted Munster their 2nd Heineken Cup in 2008 by allowing them to seal off every ruck. That Nigel?


11 years later and he allowed Leinster to do the same to get their win. :lol: :lol:


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon May 27, 2019 11:44 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sun May 22, 2016 9:43 am
Posts: 21961
Is it 11 years since your last European Cup?


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon May 27, 2019 11:45 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 35507
Jumper wrote:
iarmhiman wrote:
This is the same Nigel who gifted Munster their 2nd Heineken Cup in 2008 by allowing them to seal off every ruck. That Nigel?


11 years later and he allowed Leinster to do the same to get their win. :lol: :lol:

Not really.

You did notice he penalised Leinster for "sealing off", from which possession Glasgow scored their final try ?

You appear to watch different matches to the rest of us.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon May 27, 2019 12:54 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 3985
The Sun God wrote:
dargotronV.1 wrote:
I'm sure they would have been grateful for you to be there educating them.


Why would I be arsed doing that ?. Much better to leave them wallow in their ignorance.

Yes, and then come on here and whine about it :roll:


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon May 27, 2019 1:41 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 11382
Location: Best country in the world.
dargotronV.1 wrote:
The Sun God wrote:
dargotronV.1 wrote:
I'm sure they would have been grateful for you to be there educating them.


Why would I be arsed doing that ?. Much better to leave them wallow in their ignorance.

Yes, and then come on here and whine about it :roll:


Not at all I ( a person who bothered their bollocks to go to the game ) was answering a comment that you ( A person who didn't ) made about the atmosphere in the ground. This is a Rugby forum after-all.


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 588 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 11, 12, 13, 14, 15  Next

All times are UTC [ DST ]


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: booze, Cullen, Fat Old Git, Google Adsense [Bot], guy smiley, mrbrownstone, Saint, St. Elmo, wamberal99, Wilderbeast, Zakar and 1 guest


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group