Chat Forum
It is currently Fri Nov 15, 2019 2:00 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 588 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 11, 12, 13, 14, 15  Next
PostPosted: Sun May 26, 2019 9:49 am 

Congrats Leinster, well deserved. You sucked the life and joy out of that match like only you and Schmidt's Ireland can do and bloody hell it's effective.

Glasgow didn't find the answers; the rain didn't help and there's a decent what-if to be had if the second half scrum penalty for the wheeling scrum would have gone to the dominant side in that scrum, but overall they were clearly second best in that final and despite the 3-point difference it never really felt like a close match.

PostPosted: Sun May 26, 2019 10:05 am 

lorcanoworms wrote:
dargotronV.1 wrote:
Kearney was lucky not to see red, I thought, for the way Hogg landed on his head.

Glasgow will feel they lost that with the Hogg charge down the difference, but Leinster deserved the win imo. Suffocated Glasgow second half. OK, they were dull dull dull in getting there but it was very effective.

A red because because yellow is not working, these in the air stupid tackles are still happening.
Dull? I thought Leinster made a lot of breaks from deep, but just couldn't find each other or panicked.
Handling is poor.

My reaction was red, but to be perfectly honest I’ve no idea where we are with it at the moment. A year ago it was unquestionably red, absolutely no doubt, but they seem to have slackened off recently. It’s a bit of a shit show.

PostPosted: Sun May 26, 2019 10:19 am 

Leinster running on fumes in the second half and our bench isn't as strong as it used to be.

I think not taking the 3 points was balanced out by spending a load of time near their try line. Not convinced taking 3 would have definitely worked out better.

The pick and go going nowhere that we eventually gave up the penalty for is not really what we're used to from Leinster but given the aforementioned tiredness and conditions, I guess it was all they could manage, was clear it was going to end in a penalty at least 5 phases before it did though so someone should have tried to find the corner.

Tough 3 weekends for Leinster, glad we've something to show from it. Hard luck Glasgow.

PostPosted: Sun May 26, 2019 10:20 am 

My initial reaction to Kearney's collision was straight red. I can see why Owens convinced himself yellow was OK but I wouldn't be surprised to see a citing.

PostPosted: Sun May 26, 2019 10:55 am 

CM11 wrote:
My initial reaction to Kearney's collision was straight red. I can see why Owens convinced himself yellow was OK but I wouldn't be surprised to see a citing.

Is there a clip of the incident?

PostPosted: Sun May 26, 2019 11:19 am 

Hong Kong wrote:
CM11 wrote:

Is there a clip of the incident?

https://twitter.com/premiersportstv/sta ... 11553?s=21

PostPosted: Sun May 26, 2019 11:30 am 

Another weekend, another Leinster win.

PostPosted: Sun May 26, 2019 12:06 pm 

Mullet 2 wrote:
Another weekend, another Leinster trophy.

:thumbup:

PostPosted: Sun May 26, 2019 12:19 pm 

That is a red card all day, every day.

Jared Payne got a red card for doing something similar in 2014. Owens bottled it.

PostPosted: Sun May 26, 2019 12:29 pm 

Willie Falloon wrote:

Jared Payne got a red card for doing something similar in 2014. Owens bottled it.

Hard luck Willie. Better luck next year

PostPosted: Sun May 26, 2019 12:32 pm 

Willie Falloon wrote:

The interpretation has changed since then.

Land on the head = red

Land on neck/shoulder/back = yellow.

I wouldn't have been surprised at a red, but given Owens earlier cop out on the no arms blindside charge on a player not in possession of the ball, the YC also didn't surprise me.

PostPosted: Sun May 26, 2019 12:35 pm 

Willie Falloon wrote:

And the next season the exact same ref gave a wasps player a yellow when he did precisely the same to a Leinster player (think it may have been Daverage). Im not disagreeing with you but you can hardly say the officiating has been consistent in this area and Owens is out on his own in terms of deviating from it.

PostPosted: Sun May 26, 2019 1:08 pm 

Still banging on about 2014 :lol:

PostPosted: Sun May 26, 2019 1:14 pm 

Leinster might have been without a player for another 5 minutes but Glasgow should have been down a man for 10.

PostPosted: Sun May 26, 2019 1:17 pm 

camroc1 wrote:
Willie Falloon wrote:

Land on the head = red

I wouldn't have been surprised at a red, but given Owens earlier cop out on the no arms blindside charge on a player not in possession of the ball, the YC also didn't surprise me.

Both decisions were definitely wrong.

In Kearney's case he wasn't targeting the ball at all, he jumped out 5cm off the ground. That should be a red, they should look at the contest not the result. But in the laws I understand.

PostPosted: Sun May 26, 2019 1:38 pm 

Looked like a yellow to me in real time. On replay looks a bit worse so marginal red at worst. Given the leniency on Browns (also marginal) non-yellow, you could argue consistency. Gutted for Hogg on his last game for the Weegies. Also that it was his error that let them in at the start.

Congrats to Leinster on the win. Line speed and BR were excellent. Rode your luck, but deserved it in the end.

Great to see the form of Cummings and Fagerson, but Harley, Gibbins were outclassed.

PostPosted: Sun May 26, 2019 1:41 pm 

Liathroidigloine wrote:
Leinster might have been without a player for another 5 minutes but Glasgow should have been down a man for 10.

I’m tempted to give Owens the benefit of the doubt on both. The Brown one looked pretty crass but Owens said he believed the 9 genuinely had the ball so gave a bit of leeway. Kearny didn’t do out to injure Hogg, it was a just a crap challenge. I think it probably should have been red because it is so dangerous but I can see why in the context of the game he came up with the yellow.

PostPosted: Sun May 26, 2019 1:49 pm 

Willie Falloon wrote:

Nah, they haven’t been reffing it like that for ages now

PostPosted: Sun May 26, 2019 1:55 pm 

slick wrote:
Liathroidigloine wrote:

I’m tempted to give Owens the benefit of the doubt on both. The Brown one looked pretty crass but Owens said he believed the 9 genuinely had the ball so gave a bit of leeway. Kearny didn’t do out to injure Hogg, it was a just a crap challenge. I think it probably should have been red because it is so dangerous but I can see why in the context of the game he came up with the yellow.

Don’t think the ref or the decisions made a blind bit of difference to the result

Kearney could have easily gotten red, while brown was lucky also. Luke McGrath was actually in the air when he was blindsided without the ball, while at least Kearney only had eyes for the ball ....

Glasgow need to have a word with their fans ..... it’s not soccer ffs

Same as the Munster fans last week, Glasgow fans need to understand that deliberately wheeling the scrum does not equal scrum dominance

Leinster refused to play basketball and got the job done ..... wasn’t pretty but it was a final and we were clinical

Glasgow are really on the up with rennie and are a good shout for the league and Europe next season

Finally - really impressed with Cummings

PostPosted: Sun May 26, 2019 9:07 pm 

camroc1 wrote:
Willie Falloon wrote:

Land on the head = red

That was the previous guidance no? The most recent update, operating since 2016, was:

Quote:
Penalty only – Fair challenge with wrong timing - No pulling down
Yellow card – Not a fair challenge, there is no contest and the player is pulled down landing on his back or side
Red card – It’s not a fair challenge with no contest, whilst being a reckless or deliberate foul play action and the player lands in a dangerous position

So back or side is yellow. Which by process of elimination suggests that 'a dangerous position' covers head, neck, shoulders and upper body.

If you were walking through that as a mental tick list as an official I'm not sure how you come to any decision other than red.

PostPosted: Sun May 26, 2019 9:35 pm 

By noticing hogg didn't land in his neck or head

PostPosted: Sun May 26, 2019 10:03 pm 

rfurlong wrote:
slick wrote:
Liathroidigloine wrote:

Don’t think the ref or the decisions made a blind bit of difference to the result

Kearney could have easily gotten red, while brown was lucky also. Luke McGrath was actually in the air when he was blindsided without the ball, while at least Kearney only had eyes for the ball ....

Glasgow need to have a word with their fans ..... it’s not soccer ffs

Same as the Munster fans last week, Glasgow fans need to understand that deliberately wheeling the scrum does not equal scrum dominance

Leinster refused to play basketball and got the job done ..... wasn’t pretty but it was a final and we were clinical

Glasgow are really on the up with rennie and are a good shout for the league and Europe next season

Finally - really impressed with Cummings

This is a really poor post in many respects

PostPosted: Sun May 26, 2019 11:11 pm 

nardol wrote:
By noticing hogg didn't land in his neck or head

Surely, given the guidance I've quoted above, if he noticed he didn't land on his back or side then it should not have been a yellow card?

The head or neck thing went away back in 2016 for tackles in the air.

PostPosted: Mon May 27, 2019 9:02 am 

dargotronV.1 wrote:
Conspicuous wrote:
rfurlong wrote:
Quote:
Disappointing experience. Glasgow fans heckling Leinster players as they warm up, swearing at ref over every decision, booing the kicker - terrible rugby etiquette. Venue didn’t take card payments. After match surrounding area full of sectarian football fans. Bit shit Pro14...

Comment from neutral fan at today’s match

Where did you take this from ? A few people on FB saying the atmosphere at the match was pretty toxic . I watched the game in a busy pub so couldn’t hear much

Atmosphere wasn't toxic, was great from what I heard :thumbup:

It was total shit. Very nasty element in the stadium, a lot of whom had never been to rugby match in their lives listening to the stupid comments about the 'rules' from where I was sitting.
No respect for the winners or indeed their own team as the stadium emptied before the medals were handed out. Been to a lot of finals, this was the worst venue and crowd I have ever witnessed.

PostPosted: Mon May 27, 2019 9:04 am 

That's a shame to hear, looked great on the TV.

PostPosted: Mon May 27, 2019 9:11 am 

Mullet 2 wrote:
That's a shame to hear, looked great on the TV.

I actually haven't watched it back yet as I am still in the UK. Never been to Parkhead before........won't be rushing back.

PostPosted: Mon May 27, 2019 9:19 am 

slick wrote:
Liathroidigloine wrote:

Mystic Nige.

PostPosted: Mon May 27, 2019 9:25 am 

sewa wrote:
Nigel Leinster Owens

Very unruggerlike

You don't like to see it

PostPosted: Mon May 27, 2019 9:28 am 

Mullet 2 wrote:
sewa wrote:
Nigel Leinster Owens

Very unruggerlike

You don't like to see it

The southern province used to thrive on bitterness, now it eats them.

PostPosted: Mon May 27, 2019 9:30 am 

This is the same Nigel who gifted Munster their 2nd Heineken Cup in 2008 by allowing them to seal off every ruck. That Nigel?

PostPosted: Mon May 27, 2019 10:03 am 

Mullet 2 wrote:
sewa wrote:
Nigel Leinster Owens

Very unruggerlike

You don't like to see it

Well given you are all doing it no point me maintaining a line in the sand

PostPosted: Mon May 27, 2019 10:03 am 

The Sun God wrote:
dargotronV.1 wrote:
Conspicuous wrote:
rfurlong wrote:
Quote:
Disappointing experience. Glasgow fans heckling Leinster players as they warm up, swearing at ref over every decision, booing the kicker - terrible rugby etiquette. Venue didn’t take card payments. After match surrounding area full of sectarian football fans. Bit shit Pro14...

Where did you take this from ? A few people on FB saying the atmosphere at the match was pretty toxic . I watched the game in a busy pub so couldn’t hear much

It was total shit. Very nasty element in the stadium, a lot of whom had never been to rugby match in their lives listening to the stupid comments about the 'rules' from where I was sitting.
No respect for the winners or indeed their own team as the stadium emptied before the medals were handed out. Been to a lot of finals, this was the worst venue and crowd I have ever witnessed.

I'm sure they would have been grateful for you to be there educating them.

PostPosted: Mon May 27, 2019 10:07 am 

sewa wrote:
Mullet 2 wrote:
sewa wrote:
Nigel Leinster Owens

Very unruggerlike

You don't like to see it

Well given you are all doing it no point me maintaining a line in the sand

Very boorish altogether

PostPosted: Mon May 27, 2019 10:26 am 

dargotronV.1 wrote:
The Sun God wrote:
dargotronV.1 wrote:
rfurlong wrote:
Quote:

Why would I be arsed doing that ?. Much better to leave them wallow in their ignorance.

PostPosted: Mon May 27, 2019 11:41 am 

The Sun God wrote:
dargotronV.1 wrote:
Conspicuous wrote:
rfurlong wrote:
Quote:

Pretty much agree with all of that. Lots of foul-mouthed shouting with booing, laughing while they did it.
What a contrast to Newcastle HEC or Edinburgh 2009, where the stadia was full rugby heads, who respected the match.
Would not go back to a soccer stadium in Scotland.

PostPosted: Mon May 27, 2019 11:43 am 

iarmhiman wrote:
This is the same Nigel who gifted Munster their 2nd Heineken Cup in 2008 by allowing them to seal off every ruck. That Nigel?

11 years later and he allowed Leinster to do the same to get their win. :lol: :lol:

PostPosted: Mon May 27, 2019 11:44 am 

Is it 11 years since your last European Cup?

PostPosted: Mon May 27, 2019 11:45 am 

Jumper wrote:
iarmhiman wrote:

11 years later and he allowed Leinster to do the same to get their win. :lol: :lol:

Not really.

You did notice he penalised Leinster for "sealing off", from which possession Glasgow scored their final try ?

You appear to watch different matches to the rest of us.

PostPosted: Mon May 27, 2019 12:54 pm 

The Sun God wrote:
dargotronV.1 wrote:

Why would I be arsed doing that ?. Much better to leave them wallow in their ignorance.

Yes, and then come on here and whine about it :roll:

PostPosted: Mon May 27, 2019 1:41 pm 

dargotronV.1 wrote:
The Sun God wrote:
dargotronV.1 wrote:

Yes, and then come on here and whine about it :roll:

Not at all I ( a person who bothered their bollocks to go to the game ) was answering a comment that you ( A person who didn't ) made about the atmosphere in the ground. This is a Rugby forum after-all.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 588 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 11, 12, 13, 14, 15  Next