Chat Forum
It is currently Mon Nov 18, 2019 2:42 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 25652 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 626, 627, 628, 629, 630, 631, 632 ... 642  Next
PostPosted: Fri May 31, 2019 6:27 pm 

danny_fitz wrote:
Good week so far:

Mon - Weights
Tues - 45 min rate 20 erg
Weds - 10km on the water with 4 x 1km sprints
Thurs - 250m/500m/1000m/500m/250m x 2
Fri - Beer
Sat - 8km sculling race followed by 10km tech outing
Sun - 2 x 10km

What’s a tech outing?

PostPosted: Fri May 31, 2019 6:59 pm 

mr flaps wrote:
danny_fitz wrote:
Good week so far:

Mon - Weights
Tues - 45 min rate 20 erg
Weds - 10km on the water with 4 x 1km sprints
Thurs - 250m/500m/1000m/500m/250m x 2
Fri - Beer
Sat - 8km sculling race followed by 10km tech outing
Sun - 2 x 10km

What’s a tech outing?

Basically working on the technical aspects of the stroke, specifically the drive and recovery phases. For the former you would be looking at a clean catch, controlled connection and lock of the blade in the water, correct body position and leg drive, body swing and use of arms. For the latter, correct release of blades, hands away, body swing, snap of knees, controlled slide and early square of blades. Doing all of the above in time with your crew without upsetting the balance of the boat. Its mentally pretty tough keeping focus.

PostPosted: Fri May 31, 2019 7:53 pm 

Nolanator wrote:
I was slightly worried about breaking my sphincter. Ate a load yesterday and still felt like I needed a poo during the session, despite going last night and right before the gym. Had to cropdusting up to the water fountain a few times.
The amount of intra-abdominal pressure with the belt on and bending over is interesting.

Had a dose of that earlier this week on some heavy sets of 5 squats. Was fully sure my arse was going to give out during the last set.

PostPosted: Fri May 31, 2019 8:25 pm 

Managed two bench doubles at 100kg this morning. Failed the second rep of the third set. Was so close.
2x100 is a rep PR, delighted with that. Did 102.5x1 afterwards and it flew up. Then failed at 105, but I don't think it got my set up right and was probably getting tired.

My goal is just to be able to rep 100, whatever that is. >3, probably. Once I can do that, I'll worry about increasing my true 1RM, just want to be able to comfortably handle that weight and keep technique.

PostPosted: Fri May 31, 2019 8:36 pm 

Once you get comfortable at repping 2 plates and are feeling proud, just go to YouTube and watch skinny NFL receivers smash 10+ reps during the combine :frown:

PostPosted: Fri May 31, 2019 8:41 pm 

No. :(

PostPosted: Sat Jun 01, 2019 11:44 am 

Absolutely scorching again this morning. Getting a sweat on in the sun on a Saturday morning is a nice way to start the day. Definitely not conducive to fast pace, though.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 01, 2019 12:14 pm 

Nolanator wrote:
Absolutely scorching again this morning. Getting a sweat on in the sun on a Saturday morning is a nice way to start the day. Definitely not conducive to fast pace, though.

Yep, getting silly tan lines already

PostPosted: Sat Jun 01, 2019 8:59 pm 

danny_fitz wrote:
Nolanator wrote:

Yep, getting silly tan lines already

Only one solution, shirts off at all times!

PostPosted: Sun Jun 02, 2019 10:37 am 

Sunday accessory/ pump session

OHP
5x5 75
Super set with
Band face pulls x20

Thought this was a decent weight to do 5x5 with, which made me question what my pb. Turns out I’ve done 5x5 with 85 3 years ago. Some way off that!

Db press
4x12 30
Super set with
Rear delt fly x15

Close grip bench
4x8 90

PostPosted: Sun Jun 02, 2019 12:07 pm 

European rowing Champs on BBC 2 at the moment if you want to see how I look on the water.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 02, 2019 4:17 pm 

Good long Sunday shoulders/Gunday session this afternoon.

OHP: 70x1, 5 sets, 60x3,3
Shrugs: 120 x10 / lat raises: 10 x12, 3 sets
Tempo narrow paused bench: 65 x8 / face pulls, 3 sets
EZ curls / DB hammer curls
EZ skullcrushers

OHP felt great. Technique was bang on point, so decided to have a heavy singles day. Last time I tested my 1RM I got 72.5 and failed at 75.

Rant. A couple of lads and a girl were in doing a session together and one of the guys was really fucking annoying. Been a while since I gym bro type has bothered me. He was big and strong, but was so unnecessarily noisy. Loud whoops before heavy sets like a Yank, laughing and having the craic just way too loud with his friends, absolutely smashing the weight stack down when finished with the cable station. I'm all for the occasional grunt/shout or heavily dropping weights, but it's tedious when it's every single set. Just attention seeking. It's also how equipment gets broken.

Bah. I'm old a cranky (crankier) now. :x

PostPosted: Sun Jun 02, 2019 8:10 pm 

Used my new liquid chalk for the first time today, unreal how much of a difference it makes. It’s 35c every day here now and the deadlift area is right by a window so it’s been impossible to keep my hands dry the last few weeks

PostPosted: Sun Jun 02, 2019 8:17 pm 

Dunno how you lasted so long without using it.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 02, 2019 11:14 pm 

Pigheadedness :lol:

PostPosted: Mon Jun 03, 2019 8:30 am 

Nolanator wrote:

Rant. A couple of lads and a girl were in doing a session together and one of the guys was really fucking annoying. Been a while since I gym bro type has bothered me. He was big and strong, but was so unnecessarily noisy. Loud whoops before heavy sets like a Yank, laughing and having the craic just way too loud with his friends, absolutely smashing the weight stack down when finished with the cable station. I'm all for the occasional grunt/shout or heavily dropping weights, but it's tedious when it's every single set. Just attention seeking. It's also how equipment gets broken.

Rant away

I was getting cranky this weekend as the good weather brings out all the morons onto the water, be it twats with their blow up Halfords canoes, piss head motor cruisers throwing up a huge wash, twats lobbing sticks in the river for their dogs to chase and a million paddle boarders. Most of them dont know the navigation rules so end up getting in the way.

That said I got up early yesterday morning before anyone was up and had the river to myself and the water was like glass.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 03, 2019 10:50 am 

I've spent many years involved in watersports and river/canal cruising. It's amazing the utter lack of awareness that some people have for how their actions affect other water users. Particularly stuff like ploughing up a huge wake or getting in the way of less manoeuvrable craft.

Heavy leg day this morning. Gym was nice a quiet.

Squats: 140x1, 145 x,1,1,1, 130x2, 120x4
Front squats: 80 x6, 3 sets
Sumo DL: 120 x8, 3 sets
Back extension: 20 x15 / Ab rollout: x12, 3 sets

That last heavy squat was one of the longest reps I've had in a while. Didn't feel uncomfortable, so was happy to grind it out. Would probably consider that RPE 10!
Kept a slight knee bend for the back extensions, much more comfortable on the knee and serious hamstring focus.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 05, 2019 12:40 am 

4 weeks into marathon prep for the Melbourne marathon, feeling good so far. Would be nice if the weight would come down as well, but oh well. Just need to get the diet more in check.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 05, 2019 3:04 am 

Hit a 255lb/115kg strict press today, really happy with that.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 05, 2019 9:22 am 

mr flaps wrote:

Awesome pressing :thumbup:

Did heavy “normal” squats last night for the first time in nearly 10months. ( well that’s not quite true, I did 3 sessions of squats in feb). Did 180x1 after a couple of heavy sets of 5. Pretty happy with that.

Also did 132x5 on bench

PostPosted: Wed Jun 05, 2019 9:32 am 

2km erg test last night, clocked a fairly average 7.09 :(

PostPosted: Wed Jun 05, 2019 9:45 am 

danny_fitz wrote:
Nolanator wrote:

Rant away

I was getting cranky this weekend as the good weather brings out all the morons onto the water, be it twats with their blow up Halfords canoes, piss head motor cruisers throwing up a huge wash, twats lobbing sticks in the river for their dogs to chase and a million paddle boarders. Most of them dont know the navigation rules so end up getting in the way.

That said I got up early yesterday morning before anyone was up and had the river to myself and the water was like glass.

:thumbup:

Used to love getting on the water at this time of year; all the cold, painful winter mornings were suddenly worth it when it came to the summer regattas and Henley (are your crew planning to do qualifiers?)

PostPosted: Wed Jun 05, 2019 11:07 am 

Joost wrote:
danny_fitz wrote:
Nolanator wrote:

Rant away

:thumbup:

Used to love getting on the water at this time of year; all the cold, painful winter mornings were suddenly worth it when it came to the summer regattas and Henley (are your crew planning to do qualifiers?)

We only have a four and single heading off to Henley this year. We are still in the process of rebuilding our senior squads so probably still a season away from being properly competitive. At the end of the day we are very much a mid ranking club so even qualifying for us is quite a big deal.

I on the other hand shall be in the Remenham Club getting wasted

PostPosted: Wed Jun 05, 2019 11:17 am 

danny_fitz wrote:

Good man! I never got past the Friday of Henley, so was always conveniently available for the biggest piss-up/firework nights (which is what it’s all about tbh) :smug:

PostPosted: Wed Jun 05, 2019 11:31 am 

Joost wrote:
danny_fitz wrote:

Good man! I never got past the Friday of Henley, so was always conveniently available for the biggest piss-up/firework nights (which is what it’s all about tbh) :smug:

Fair play for getting to Friday, huge respect. Who was that with?

I found rowing far too late to threaten any Henley crews but looking to get into masters C next season. I have been training with the senior squad this season just to help give them the critical mass in terms of numbers until a few of our juniors and inters are ready to step up. I'm way too old for the squad but enjoy the culture and commitment and hopefully when I get spat out into masters I will be one of the fitter old farts out there. Been doing loads of single work of late so looking to enter a few more regattas in that capacity.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 05, 2019 1:47 pm 

danny_fitz wrote:
Joost wrote:
danny_fitz wrote:

Fair play for getting to Friday, huge respect. Who was that with?

I found rowing far too late to threaten any Henley crews but looking to get into masters C next season. I have been training with the senior squad this season just to help give them the critical mass in terms of numbers until a few of our juniors and inters are ready to step up. I'm way too old for the squad but enjoy the culture and commitment and hopefully when I get spat out into masters I will be one of the fitter old farts out there. Been doing loads of single work of late so looking to enter a few more regattas in that capacity.

With my Uni crew; we were basically full-time athletes with excellent facilities/equipment, so no excuses for not performing (well, aside from getting smashed every Thursday because we had Friday off!).

Do keep us up-to-date with training/regattas - brings a nostalgic tear to my eye!

PostPosted: Wed Jun 05, 2019 3:54 pm 

Good long DL/back session this morning. DLs felt really good, so ramped singles up to 195. Will need to back-off next week. No lifting for the rest of this week in any case, so my body will get some respite from the abuse.
Then spent most of today carting stuff from one hall/lab to the skip outside. Some pieces of equipment were >50kg each, so I basically had to do more DL-ing afterwards with awkwardly shaped weights. Will sleep tonight.

DLs: 170x3, 180x2, 185x2, 190x1, 195x1, 170x2, 160x4
Pull ups: 15 x4 / Hip thrusts: 160 x12, 3 sets
Seal row: 75 x7 / SL side plank thing, 3 sets
Narrow LPD x12, 3 sets

That side plank hip flexion variation is really good (second page in the link). Would definitely recommend trying it for anyone interested in rotational core stability, or even as a wake up exercise. Think it's particularly good for big barbell movements. Good for bracing the torso against rotational forces and through various hip positions. Keeps ya steady.
I've found that you have to have good muscle function in your groin, glutes and obliques to be able to do it properly. It used to cause a slight pinching sensation in my left groin (left leg on the bench), where I've had groin issues in the past. That's definitely been significantly reduced now.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 05, 2019 5:10 pm 

newportblue wrote:
mr flaps wrote:

Awesome pressing :thumbup:

Did heavy “normal” squats last night for the first time in nearly 10months. ( well that’s not quite true, I did 3 sessions of squats in feb). Did 180x1 after a couple of heavy sets of 5. Pretty happy with that.

Also did 132x5 on bench

Nice. How’d you feel after the squats?

PostPosted: Wed Jun 05, 2019 5:42 pm 

Starting a fat loss phase and gone back to sets of 8 on squats :(

PostPosted: Wed Jun 05, 2019 5:44 pm 

What sort of percent of your max?

PostPosted: Wed Jun 05, 2019 5:48 pm 

I think it ended up around 75-80%, was programmed as an RPE 8. My cardio fitness is hideous at the moment so I was completely gassed after each set.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 05, 2019 7:12 pm 

ElementFreak wrote:
4 weeks into marathon prep for the Melbourne marathon, feeling good so far. Would be nice if the weight would come down as well, but oh well. Just need to get the diet more in check.

What time are you hoping for EF?

PostPosted: Wed Jun 05, 2019 10:39 pm 

HKCJ wrote:
ElementFreak wrote:

Got 3 goals.

Goal number 1 - the aggressive one - take 1 hour off my time from last year. Clock in at an embarrassing 4:46 because after 25-28km my legs decided to just give up.
Goal number 2 - beat my sister's marathon PR of 3:55
Goal number 3 - Finish.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 06, 2019 1:51 pm 

ElementFreak wrote:
HKCJ wrote:
ElementFreak wrote:

Got 3 goals.

Goal number 1 - the aggressive one - take 1 hour off my time from last year. Clock in at an embarrassing 4:46 because after 25-28km my legs decided to just give up.
Goal number 3 - Finish.

Best of luck! Hoping to do the York marathon in October which will be interesting as I feel in better shape than when I got my marathon PB 10 years ago.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 06, 2019 2:14 pm 

Training last night, we are a bit rusty in an eight

PostPosted: Thu Jun 06, 2019 2:20 pm 

HKCJ wrote:
ElementFreak wrote:
HKCJ wrote:
ElementFreak wrote:

Got 3 goals.

Goal number 3 - Finish.

Best of luck! Hoping to do the York marathon in October which will be interesting as I feel in better shape than when I got my marathon PB 10 years ago.

I'm doing that one. First standalone road marathon - as in not preceeded by a swim and a bike ride

PostPosted: Thu Jun 06, 2019 2:28 pm 

You'll probably injure your calf two weeks beforehand and decide to do it anyway.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 06, 2019 2:48 pm 

Nolanator wrote:
You'll probably injure your calf two weeks beforehand and decide to do it anyway.

strange you say that :lol: calf is currently grumbling like hell

PostPosted: Thu Jun 06, 2019 8:26 pm 

blindcider wrote:
Nolanator wrote:

strange you say that :lol: calf is currently grumbling like hell

TBF, I've seen you bitch about it on Strava.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 06, 2019 10:58 pm 

blindcider wrote:
HKCJ wrote:
ElementFreak wrote:
HKCJ wrote:
ElementFreak wrote:

Got 3 goals.

Goal number 3 - Finish.

I'm doing that one. First standalone road marathon - as in not preceeded by a swim and a bike ride

Good luck lads.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 25652 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 626, 627, 628, 629, 630, 631, 632 ... 642  Next