Chat Forum
It is currently Tue Oct 15, 2019 2:35 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 401328 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 9819, 9820, 9821, 9822, 9823, 9824, 9825 ... 10034  Next
PostPosted: Sun Aug 25, 2019 7:43 pm 

Duff Paddy wrote:
danthefan wrote:
https://twitter.com/Teddybreath/status/1165510604620279808?s=19

Fair. It was filthy

The still shown in this trout is nasty. :uhoh:

https://twitter.com/Teddybreath/status/ ... 61281?s=19

PostPosted: Sun Aug 25, 2019 7:47 pm 

Jumper wrote:
Irish wrote:
Yeah. It’s the craziness of not throwing to 2 in the lineout , when it’s in bits. just to secure it.

Ireland have a maul. We should use it.

Anyway things can only get better.

POM is as good a jumper at 2 as anyone in the world. His speed into the air guarantees ball at the front.

The issue is that Henderson continually calls a terrible lineout for Ireland. When things start to go wrong with the throwing - as often happens with Best - Henderson looks to fix things by making more complex calls with more moving parts and longer throws. Expectedly, things then go from bad to worse and the setpiece completely falls apart.

:lol:

Cowan-Dickie’s try would suggest you’re talking absolute nonsense.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 25, 2019 7:48 pm 

Toner's first impact yesterday was the softest ruck clear out you'll ever see, he's not good.

Ruddock is also bang average, he adds a bit more ballast than POM yeah, but you lose out at the lineout and ruck. Beirne and Stander are both much better options.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 25, 2019 7:48 pm 

I really, really, REALLY hope Schmidt has the balls to make the necessary changes.

But we all know that it's highly likely we'll see the same old faces in the games that matter with the excuse of "one last chance" or "he's done it for us in the past" peddled out.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 25, 2019 7:53 pm 

feckwanker wrote:
I really, really, REALLY hope Schmidt has the balls to make the necessary changes.

But we all know that it's highly likely we'll see the same old faces in the games that matter with the excuse of "one last chance" or "he's done it for us in the past" peddled out.

That mantra has been ongoing since the start of the Six Nations.

Obviously he hasn’t lost the dressing room, but picking players regardless of form ends up being bad for morale in the long run.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 25, 2019 7:58 pm 

Armchair_Superstar wrote:
Jumper wrote:
Irish wrote:
Yeah. It’s the craziness of not throwing to 2 in the lineout , when it’s in bits. just to secure it.

POM is as good a jumper at 2 as anyone in the world. His speed into the air guarantees ball at the front.

The issue is that Henderson continually calls a terrible lineout for Ireland. When things start to go wrong with the throwing - as often happens with Best - Henderson looks to fix things by making more complex calls with more moving parts and longer throws. Expectedly, things then go from bad to worse and the setpiece completely falls apart.

The one that Cronin over-threw? :lol: :roll:

Any poster who hangs their hat on POM not being a brilliant lineout forward, is a complete know-nothing. It'd be like me claiming Toner is only 6ft tall, or Stockdale has great hair.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 25, 2019 8:05 pm 

feckwanker wrote:
Ah lads, it's still tough to get your head around yesterday's performance.

It was absolutely desperate.

What is going on in camp? Over trained? Poor systems? Provincial infighting? Players being played way past their sell by date? An unwillingness to adopt a new gameplan? A mixture of all the above?

I did hear a scurrilous rumor before kick off yesterday that suggests a bit more than provincial infighting. Not repeating it, if it’s true it’ll all come out in the wash(and imo would likely have spilt out already).

As I’ve already booked flights, match tickets and accommodation, I’m going with rope a dope. We’ve everybody right where we want them.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 25, 2019 8:09 pm 

One issue for us is how in the past joe has kept trying certain players for seasons of poor form for them to turn around with massive clutch games at key times. Kearney is the best example poor form prior to last rwc but massive in the big game v France. Rubbish for two years and them excellent in the slam season and into the win v the abs.

He’s currently hoping pom stander Murray best and Sexton as well as Kearney of his top performers suddenly find form. It’s possible some will. But a huge ask to expect all to.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 25, 2019 8:16 pm 

redderneck wrote:
Just found out a school classmate of my daughter took his own life over last few days.

Perspective of a sort I guess.

:((

Your from the killaloe/ballina region arent you? Just heard this now. My first cousins good friend it was. Second death in that group in the last few months.
Arent these young ones suppose to be gettiing more confident these days! I blame that social media. fudge it!

PostPosted: Sun Aug 25, 2019 8:17 pm 

Jumper wrote:
Armchair_Superstar wrote:
Jumper wrote:
Irish wrote:

The one that Cronin over-threw? :lol: :roll:

Any poster who hangs their hat on POM not being a brilliant lineout forward, is a complete know-nothing. It'd be like me claiming Toner is only 6ft tall, or Stockdale has great hair.

Toner called it to ‘banker’ O’Mahoney at the front, then the they messed up the lift and Cronin f*cked it over the back.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 25, 2019 8:18 pm 

England will have learned nothing from that. If anything, their opponents will have learned more as we allowed them run through some of their moves from start to finish.

Obviously, we learned even less. It's a struggle to figure out what we we're trying to achieve. I suppose spreading it more to the wings (Stockdale in particular) was one aim. As was not trying to box kick our way out of our 22. Clearly the setpiece woes were not part of the plan and that's the most concerning aspect because a lot of the other problems can be explained, partly, away putting it down to England being sharper but surely the setpiece should be more straightforward than that. That said, I haven't paid a lot of attention to the movement at setpiece and it could be that we're just using basic calls, which a pack like England will easily deal with.

Anyway, as before, I'll start judging the team based on their competition performance. Not really much point writing them off before they kick a ball in anger.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 25, 2019 8:19 pm 

paddyor wrote:
feckwanker wrote:
Ah lads, it's still tough to get your head around yesterday's performance.

It was absolutely desperate.

What is going on in camp? Over trained? Poor systems? Provincial infighting? Players being played way past their sell by date? An unwillingness to adopt a new gameplan? A mixture of all the above?

I did hear a scurrilous rumor before kick off yesterday that suggests a bit more than provincial infighting. Not repeating it, if it’s true it’ll all come out in the wash(and imo would likely have spilt out already).

As I’ve already booked flights, match tickets and accommodation, I’m going with rope a dope. We’ve everybody right where we want them.

Wow, what a scoop

PostPosted: Sun Aug 25, 2019 8:25 pm 

High level stuff :lol:

PostPosted: Sun Aug 25, 2019 8:29 pm 

Nearly the worst thing about the two warm up matches so far has been that best Irish player on show in each game (Carbery against Italy, Healy yesterday) got injured. It's not that everyone was playing like spackers.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 25, 2019 8:32 pm 

What’s the word on Healy btw?

PostPosted: Sun Aug 25, 2019 8:45 pm 

Ankle sprain was the initial prognosis but who knows till the results of a scan.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 25, 2019 8:50 pm 

grimoald wrote:
Ruddock is also bang average, he adds a bit more ballast than POM yeah, but you lose out at the lineout and ruck. Beirne and Stander are both much better options.

POM is so ineffectual at the moment that I don't think any of those comparisons are valid any more. All that assumes that POM is positively influencing things on the pitch.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 25, 2019 8:55 pm 

Nolanator wrote:
grimoald wrote:

POM is so ineffectual at the moment that I don't think any of those comparisons are valid any more. All that assumes that POM is positively influencing things on the pitch.

Yep.

We don't know if Ruddock or Beirne are the answer right now, but they should be given a chance after POM's performance.

And by 'should' I mean 'must'.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 25, 2019 9:09 pm 

If Kearney is deservedly banned for his cowardly shot on Curry and misses the RWC, who plays 15 in his place? Would Schmidt be comfortable starting Lamour there? Earls will have a tonne on his plate if he has to be the eyes and brains for both Lamour and Stockdale.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 25, 2019 9:14 pm 

CM11 wrote:
England will have learned nothing from that. If anything, their opponents will have learned more as we allowed them run through some of their moves from start to finish.

Obviously, we learned even less. It's a struggle to figure out what we we're trying to achieve. I suppose spreading it more to the wings (Stockdale in particular) was one aim. As was not trying to box kick our way out of our 22. Clearly the setpiece woes were not part of the plan and that's the most concerning aspect because a lot of the other problems can be explained, partly, away putting it down to England being sharper but surely the setpiece should be more straightforward than that. That said, I haven't paid a lot of attention to the movement at setpiece and it could be that we're just using basic calls, which a pack like England will easily deal with.

Anyway, as before, I'll start judging the team based on their competition performance. Not really much point writing them off before they kick a ball in anger.

When your pack gets bossed at the breakdown like ours, the backs will be doing fúck all attacking.

We could afford POM, when we had heaslip and SOB doing the dirty work, with Vdf at 7 and stander at 8 he's about as much use as a spare prick at a wedding. When we meet the SAs in the QF we need beef, and POM and STander ain't it.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 25, 2019 9:28 pm 

Jumper wrote:
If Kearney is deservedly banned for his cowardly shot on Curry and misses the RWC, who plays 15 in his place? Would Schmidt be comfortable starting Lamour there? Earls will have a tonne on his plate if he has to be the eyes and brains for both Lamour and Stockdale.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 25, 2019 9:31 pm 

EverReady wrote:
Jumper wrote:

If Larmour starts at 15 I’d be more worried about Earl than Earls.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 25, 2019 10:01 pm 

rageagainstthemachine wrote:
redderneck wrote:
Just found out a school classmate of my daughter took his own life over last few days.

Perspective of a sort I guess.

:((

Your from the killaloe/ballina region arent you? Just heard this now. My first cousins good friend it was. Second death in that group in the last few months.
Arent these young ones suppose to be gettiing more confident these days! I blame that social media. fudge it!

Yeah. Hadn't realised there was another one in recent months. Jesus.

That group lost a hugely popular classmate back in about fourth year as well, albeit from natural causes. That should have been their fcuking quota of shit right there and then at that young age.

Shit scene.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 25, 2019 10:16 pm 

Flametop wrote:
EverReady wrote:
Jumper wrote:

If Larmour starts at 15 I’d be more worried about Earl than Earls.

Personally I'd look to Conway at 15 before any of them if Joey was unavailable but there's no guarantee he'll even make the plane....

PostPosted: Sun Aug 25, 2019 10:20 pm 

Sharpest knives out that I’ve seen in years.

It’s been the elephant in the room for a few years and fair play for finally calling a spade a shovel.

https://www.irishtimes.com/sport/rugby/ ... 7?mode=amp

PostPosted: Sun Aug 25, 2019 10:23 pm 

Nolanator wrote:
grimoald wrote:

POM offers shite all at the lineout and is a non presence on the field.
Ruddock may at least offer energy, leadership and size.
I’d even say try Berne, though I’d be concerned he wouldn’t address the power issues in the pack.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 25, 2019 10:35 pm 

Floppykid wrote:
Nolanator wrote:
grimoald wrote:

I’d even say try Berne, though I’d be concerned he wouldn’t address the power issues in the pack.

I think we could see a 6, 7, 8 of Beirne, Conan, and Ruddock against SA.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 25, 2019 10:38 pm 

camroc1 wrote:
Floppykid wrote:
Nolanator wrote:
grimoald wrote:

This is crazy because a) we're going out in the pool stages and b) it's crazy.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 25, 2019 10:40 pm 

Wish Leavy’s knee wasn’t held together with chewing gum and celotape

PostPosted: Sun Aug 25, 2019 10:43 pm 

alliswell wrote:
camroc1 wrote:
Floppykid wrote:
Nolanator wrote:
grimoald wrote:

This is crazy because a) we're going out in the pool stages and b) it's crazy.

We'll beat Scotland comfortably, and I'm interested to hear your analysis of which other teams will beat us ?

PostPosted: Sun Aug 25, 2019 10:44 pm 

Having Ruddock may free up Beirne for his game in fairness

PostPosted: Sun Aug 25, 2019 10:46 pm 

Ah I don't actually think we'll go out in the group stages but I do think you're on crack if you think Joe is going to just pluck a whole new back row out of his arse in a quarter final. One simple reason being if we are playing SA then we've won all our games so he's not going to suddenly drop Stander, POM and VDF.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 25, 2019 10:48 pm 

Do not assume Scotland and Japan are gimmes. Japan will play like men possessed

PostPosted: Sun Aug 25, 2019 10:52 pm 

Duff Paddy wrote:

Like 10 of their 15 are actually Japanese right?
That’s pretty good.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 25, 2019 10:56 pm 

Floppykid wrote:
Duff Paddy wrote:

That’s pretty good.

We can hardly talk

PostPosted: Sun Aug 25, 2019 10:59 pm 

Duff Paddy wrote:

And our second team will beat them comfortably.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 25, 2019 11:00 pm 

Duff Paddy wrote:
Floppykid wrote:
Duff Paddy wrote:

That’s pretty good.

We can hardly talk

I was being genuine. :lol:

PostPosted: Sun Aug 25, 2019 11:17 pm 

Changing the subject a little from the rugby and associated interprovincial bickering, we're going to Bordeaux in a few weeks time with a four year old. Humming and hawing with staying west by Arcachon direction (close to beaches) or east by Libourne direction (close to vineyards). Will have car. Suggestions welcome.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 25, 2019 11:36 pm 

It's been years (pre kids) but my memory of Arcachon was that it was fairly boring. Nicish beach but nothing that would be in the top 10 or 20 in Ireland.

That said, might be harder to keep the 4 year old happy touring vineyards!

PostPosted: Sun Aug 25, 2019 11:41 pm 

Flametop wrote:
Sharpest knives out that I’ve seen in years.

It’s been the elephant in the room for a few years and fair play for finally calling a spade a shovel.

https://www.irishtimes.com/sport/rugby/ ... 7?mode=amp

I dunno. The article seems to be saying he's finished because the lineout went wrong. That's nothing new with Best. Was he finished after the horrorshow against Scotland in 2010? Or the meltdown against the Brumbies on the 2013 Lions tour?

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 401328 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 9819, 9820, 9821, 9822, 9823, 9824, 9825 ... 10034  Next