Chat Forum
It is currently Mon Oct 14, 2019 10:03 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 401261 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 9820, 9821, 9822, 9823, 9824, 9825, 9826 ... 10032  Next
PostPosted: Sun Aug 25, 2019 11:45 pm 

CM11 wrote:
It's been years (pre kids) but my memory of Arcachon was that it was fairly boring. Nicish beach but nothing that would be in the top 10 or 20 in Ireland.

That said, might be harder to keep the 4 year old happy touring vineyards!

We've been to St Emilion before and spent about an hour codding ourselves that a four year old would love it too.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 25, 2019 11:46 pm 

Anyway, back to the rugby, it struck me that England, in particular, but also Wales, have to be further along in their planning than we do. In England's case they basically have our group from 2007, while both have waned since then neither can be dismissed. Wales have a resurgent Aus to beat off aswell as a team they haven't exactly excelled against.

That's not to say Scotland, Japan or even Samoa or going to be easy beats for us but they are weaker opponents, especially up front, which gives us more wriggle room.

And yes, this is another glass half full post. I'm riddled with enough bullets anyway so may as well keep going.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 25, 2019 11:47 pm 

What kind of a monster mentions Bordeaux at a time like this? The horror.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 25, 2019 11:50 pm 

Uncle Fester wrote:
CM11 wrote:
It's been years (pre kids) but my memory of Arcachon was that it was fairly boring. Nicish beach but nothing that would be in the top 10 or 20 in Ireland.

We've been to St Emilion before and spent about an hour codding ourselves that a four year old would love it too.

:thumbup: :lol:

Tbf, at that age they'll probably row in with what you want to do as long as they get the odd thing they really enjoy every day. Hell, touring the vineyard on Dad's shoulders would probably do!

PostPosted: Sun Aug 25, 2019 11:50 pm 

hewtwit wrote:
What kind of a monster mentions Bordeaux at a time like this? The horror.

:lol: Fair point.

You monster Fester. :x

PostPosted: Sun Aug 25, 2019 11:52 pm 

I'm going to need all the grand cru I can get my hands on if we keep playing the way we are.

In other news, A Year In Burgundy is a great watch. Can't wait to explore there.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 25, 2019 11:54 pm 

Uncle Fester wrote:
I'm going to need all the grand cru I can get my hands on if we keep playing the way we are.

In other news, A Year In Burgundy is a great watch. Can't wait to explore there.

https://www.marathondumedoc.com/

PostPosted: Sun Aug 25, 2019 11:58 pm 

Although I hear there’s a pretty great hotel that’s worth checking out in some industrial park. Darce has the deets.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 26, 2019 12:01 am 

hewtwit wrote:
Although I hear there’s a pretty great hotel that’s worth checking out in some industrial park. Darce has the deets.

Is there a vibrant cafe scene?

PostPosted: Mon Aug 26, 2019 12:12 am 

Floppykid wrote:
Nolanator wrote:
grimoald wrote:
Ruddock is also bang average, he adds a bit more ballast than POM yeah, but you lose out at the lineout and ruck. Beirne and Stander are both much better options.

POM is so ineffectual at the moment that I don't think any of those comparisons are valid any more. All that assumes that POM is positively influencing things on the pitch.

POM offers shite all at the lineout and is a non presence on the field.
Ruddock may at least offer energy, leadership and size.
I’d even say try Berne, though I’d be concerned he wouldn’t address the power issues in the pack.

Pom offers shite all at the lineout? Shut up you clown

PostPosted: Mon Aug 26, 2019 1:06 am 

Sorry yeah, forgot how good he was on Sat.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 26, 2019 1:35 am 

I'd like to see Ruddock and Beirne at flanker against Wales, with Conan at 8, Farrell and Ringrose in the centre, Marmion and Carty in the halves, Stockdale at 11 to try to find some form and Addison at fullback if he's fit. Might get a first look at James Ryan, and maybe Scannell at hooker, with Herring on the bench.

Think they need to come up with alternatives for POM and Stander. Backrow's just not working without Leavy or prime SOB there to carry them. When it's just a openside rather than an openside plus like Leavy or SOB, the Munster duo's deficiencies become obvious. The word I'd use for Stander is 'obsolete'. He just has nothing in his armoury that he can fall back on against Vunipola. He doesn't have an advantage in a single facet of play.

Can't see Schmidt making changes though. He's not a Gatland who'll drop the established player and throw in a young tyro when things have gone wrong. Don't think it's his style.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 26, 2019 7:15 am 

He isn't blind either, and at the very least sounds willing to wield the machete.

https://www.the42.ie/ireland-open-minde ... 6-Aug2019/

PostPosted: Mon Aug 26, 2019 7:50 am 

lemonhead wrote:
He isn't blind either, and at the very least sounds willing to wield the machete.

It won't be his favourites that get the chop.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 26, 2019 8:29 am 

Banana Man wrote:
Was in at that Leinster and Munster U19s game. My word were Leinster clinical.

Very impressive.

Heard leinster's back three were very good, anyone else impress?

PostPosted: Mon Aug 26, 2019 8:41 am 

CM11 wrote:

They'll hack one or two. Plus it's France so they'll let the kids taste the vino. Get them used to the good things in life.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 26, 2019 8:46 am 

CM11 wrote:

Yeah the whole area is extremely boring. It’ll be full of rich Parisians this time of year. Europe’s largest sand dune- says it all. I’d go east along the Dordogne, still quite boring but stunning countryside and some great places for food.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 26, 2019 8:48 am 

sewa wrote:
Floppykid wrote:
Nolanator wrote:
grimoald wrote:
Ruddock is also bang average, he adds a bit more ballast than POM yeah, but you lose out at the lineout and ruck. Beirne and Stander are both much better options.

POM is so ineffectual at the moment that I don't think any of those comparisons are valid any more. All that assumes that POM is positively influencing things on the pitch.

POM offers shite all at the lineout and is a non presence on the field.
Ruddock may at least offer energy, leadership and size.
I’d even say try Berne, though I’d be concerned he wouldn’t address the power issues in the pack.

Pom offers shite all at the lineout? Shut up you clown

When is the last time he displayed anything in the lineout?

PostPosted: Mon Aug 26, 2019 8:57 am 

irishrugbyua wrote:
Banana Man wrote:

Very impressive.

Leinster back 3 were good, wouldn't have said very good bar Cosgrove. Josh O'Connor got a nice try and Osbourne moved well to be fair.

The pack as the difference, they won every collision. The 7 was outstanding and the 8 not far behind.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 26, 2019 9:24 am 

Banana Man wrote:
irishrugbyua wrote:
Banana Man wrote:

Very impressive.

Leinster back 3 were good, wouldn't have said very good bar Cosgrove. Josh O'Connor got a nice try and Osbourne moved well to be fair.

The pack as the difference, they won every collision. The 7 was outstanding and the 8 not far behind.

:thumbup:

Quality side who was missing a few standout players due to injury.

Last edited by irishrugbyua on Mon Aug 26, 2019 9:26 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 26, 2019 9:24 am 

So who does Schmidt parachute in now he is citing England mixing it up?

PostPosted: Mon Aug 26, 2019 9:30 am 

I think we all know what needs to be done.

Madigan.

Search your feelings, you know it to be true.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 26, 2019 9:30 am 

EverReady wrote:
So who does Schmidt parachute in now he is citing England mixing it up?

Max Deegan.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 26, 2019 9:34 am 

irishrugbyua wrote:
Banana Man wrote:
irishrugbyua wrote:
Banana Man wrote:

Very impressive.

Munster 13 was a lovely player in a beaten side. Actually bit underwhelmed with the Leinster centres given the front football they had. 13 got a nice try at the end of the 1st half but would have thought they could have done more

PostPosted: Mon Aug 26, 2019 9:35 am 

Agreed on Deegan and my heart says Maddser as well. Cooney back in?

PostPosted: Mon Aug 26, 2019 9:43 am 

Banana Man wrote:
irishrugbyua wrote:
Banana Man wrote:
irishrugbyua wrote:
Banana Man wrote:

Very impressive.

Munster 13 was a lovely player in a beaten side. Actually bit underwhelmed with the Leinster centres given the front football they had. 13 got a nice try at the end of the 1st half but would have thought they could have done more

What about the leinster 9/10?

PostPosted: Mon Aug 26, 2019 9:57 am 

irishrugbyua wrote:
Banana Man wrote:
irishrugbyua wrote:
Banana Man wrote:
irishrugbyua wrote:

What about the leinster 9/10?

Functional - fine, well able to move the ball but had it on a platform and lightening quick ball. Neither a threat in open play with it.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 26, 2019 10:15 am 

Banana Man wrote:
Functional - fine, well able to move the ball but had it on a platform and lightening quick ball. Neither a threat in open play with it.

Thanks, Corkery starting at 10 over Leonard was a surprise.

While Colbert is a recently coverted 10 and probably behind a few other injured 9's at this age grade.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 26, 2019 10:19 am 

lemonhead wrote:

A number 8 with only three carries? had we no possession at all?
Some will say it's not the 8's job to carry.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 26, 2019 10:22 am 

Banana Man wrote:
Ulsters Red Hand wrote:
Banana Man wrote:
EverReady wrote:
*gets cock pics ready

If I get any more from you I'll have my Pride festival

Fired you a mail there bman

Evidence for the rape trial?

PostPosted: Mon Aug 26, 2019 10:28 am 

Floppykid wrote:
Sorry yeah, forgot how good he was on Sat.

https://www.sixnationsrugby.com/statistics/

2019 lineout statistics for the Six Nations, facts eh, terribly inconvenient when you can just trash talk and make excuses instead

Peter O'Mahony 30
Grant Gilchrist 19
Federico Ruzza 17
George Kruis 17
James Ryan 14

PostPosted: Mon Aug 26, 2019 10:33 am 

CM11 wrote:
Anyway, back to the rugby, it struck me that England, in particular, but also Wales, have to be further along in their planning than we do. In England's case they basically have our group from 2007, while both have waned since then neither can be dismissed. Wales have a resurgent Aus to beat off aswell as a team they haven't exactly excelled against.

That's not to say Scotland, Japan or even Samoa or going to be easy beats for us but they are weaker opponents, especially up front, which gives us more wriggle room.

And yes, this is another glass half full post. I'm riddled with enough bullets anyway so may as well keep going.

But given we have Scotland up first does it even make sense that they would be so far ahead in their prep? Unless all this talk about peaking for Scotland is actually bullshit and really we're aiming to peak for a QF?

PostPosted: Mon Aug 26, 2019 10:40 am 

The reason I can’t see England winning is that their group games fall France Argentina as the last two (not sure of the order) then quarter (I think Wales/Aus), then semi then final. Fairly certain 5 games in 5 weekends like that can’t be done.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 26, 2019 10:56 am 

Gauss wrote:
The reason I can’t see England winning is that their group games fall France Argentina as the last two (not sure of the order) then quarter (I think Wales/Aus), then semi then final. Fairly certain 5 games in 5 weekends like that can’t be done.

That's a Grand Slam. Difficult but not impossible. Eddie Jones has a great record at world cups; almost getting Japan to the QFs, getting a pretty average Aussie side to a final and obviously winning it with the Boks as an assistant. He looks like he might be getting it right this cycle as well. Back to back 6Ns when he came in. Then got his really bad season out of the way. Obviously last season was far from perfect but they were back on an upward curve and really seem to be hitting their straps now.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 26, 2019 10:58 am 

hermie wrote:
CM11 wrote:

But given we have Scotland up first does it even make sense that they would be so far ahead in their prep? Unless all this talk about peaking for Scotland is actually bullshit and really we're aiming to peak for a QF?

Stepping aside from the obvious signs of decline and optimistically hoping it's not terminal, I would hope that we weren't planning to peak against Scotland at all.

I know it's all a bit hollow talking about being realistic contenders after what we've seen this year but if our immediate aim is to make the semis then we should be able to beat Scotland and Japan without having peaked.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 26, 2019 10:58 am 

Fifty seven points

PostPosted: Mon Aug 26, 2019 10:59 am 

The Vunipolas are crucial to his game plan. Also having Tuilagi back makes a massive difference.
Take those three away and I wonder if England would be as effective. Don't get me wrong, they have some other great players but it's those 3 in particular who really scare the sh1t out of me if they're in form.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 26, 2019 11:01 am 

hermie wrote:
Gauss wrote:

That's a Grand Slam. Difficult but not impossible. Eddie Jones has a great record at world cups; almost getting Japan to the QFs, getting a pretty average Aussie side to a final and obviously winning it with the Boks as an assistant. He looks like he might be getting it right this cycle as well. Back to back 6Ns when he came in. Then got his really bad season out of the way. Obviously last season was far from perfect but they were back on an upward curve and really seem to be hitting their straps now.

Billy V is key for them. They'll go far if he stays fit. They've enough depth elsewhere in the pack to maintain a solid platform for him to capatilise on even if they ship some injuries.

They’re one of 3 who can win it

Snap, LM, although I'd limit it to just Billy.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 401261 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 9820, 9821, 9822, 9823, 9824, 9825, 9826 ... 10032  Next