Chat Forum
It is currently Wed Apr 08, 2020 2:00 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 26286 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 654, 655, 656, 657, 658  Next
PostPosted: Tue Mar 17, 2020 11:29 pm 

All parkruns in Australia are cancelled. A running group I am part of have also cancelled their sessions, but at least they are posting the workouts on a Tuesday and Thursday for people to still do when they can.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 17, 2020 11:42 pm 

Good benching Nols.

After 3 consecutive months of good training, eating and no injuries, the gym has closed last Thursday :(

Have 6 rubber mats in the garage with 2 scaffold trestles and an Olympic bar with 190kg in plates - hopefully can continue to progress.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 17, 2020 11:48 pm 

A little axle bar strict press. 205lbs/93kg x 10

https://youtu.be/9m9xvYlMfXY

PostPosted: Wed Mar 18, 2020 10:23 am 

Tune. :thumbup:
Wish I could play my music over the PA, but they play fairly bland stuff to cater for all users, which is fair enough.

Got in again this morning. Just did back: weighted pull ups, seal row, narrow LPD, cable pullovers. Didn't go bananas.
Place was absolutely dead. About 6 people in the weights are until about 8:30. Everyone was being very dilligent with disinfecting equipment before and after, though.

The staff there reckon they'll be closed by the weekend, once the government direct all gyms, pubs etc to close. Could even be shut tomorrow.
Planning on doing DLs tomorrow. I'll wait until BoJo's address this evening and if it's not open tomorrow I'll do a quick DL session this evening. :blush:

Think I'll buy an ab roller and doorframe pullup bar for home. Presume it'll be several weeks before they re-open. One week off is deload, any more is lost gainz.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 18, 2020 1:16 pm 

Parkrun finally cancelled. I'm surprised they still went ahead last weekend, TBH.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 19, 2020 11:44 am 

More gym this morning. Place was deserted at the start. Genuinely could have done some superset which involved 5 separate racks. Closing Sunday, so going to go while I can.

Today was supposed to be mas effort DLs, but my body is breaking down from skippign the last deload. Ah well.
Managed a single at 200 that felt awful. Then some front squats, KB swings, and hip thrusts as assistance. Finished with some curls.

Felt crap, but fuckit, I'll get some decent recovery in.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 19, 2020 11:49 am 

I have 'borrowed' some kettle bells and an erg from the club. Captain's privilege as far as I am concerned, I think I have earned it.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 19, 2020 5:59 pm 

Nolanator wrote:
More gym this morning. Place was deserted at the start. Genuinely could have done some superset which involved 5 separate racks. Closing Sunday, so going to go while I can.

Today was supposed to be mas effort DLs, but my body is breaking down from skippign the last deload. Ah well.
Managed a single at 200 that felt awful. Then some front squats, KB swings, and hip thrusts as assistance. Finished with some curls.

Felt crap, but fuckit, I'll get some decent recovery in.

I’ve decided to continue my cut as don’t want to start a new strength cycle and have it interrupted if (when) they close the gym. Feeling weak as hell :lol:

PostPosted: Fri Mar 20, 2020 11:18 pm 

Gym finally closed today :(

They also closed our local beaches here in FL. Literally the only things I’ve left the house for this week have been the gym and walking on the beach :|

PostPosted: Fri Mar 20, 2020 11:21 pm 

Going for a 10km trial run with about 800m climb. Expect to see many many people taking up trail running in the next few months.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 21, 2020 12:22 am 

From my last session before the shut down. 225lbs/100kg overhead yoke walk.

https://youtu.be/yg1wvE3oXQA

PostPosted: Sat Mar 21, 2020 11:23 am 

https://www.facebook.com/groups/619893768567982

Be nice you cnuts, I'm stepping massively outside of my comfort zone as a PT. I don't expect to make a penny while I'm in self-isolation, but I need to keep busy. Started this health/fitness group to actually be doing something hopefully useful. If you're stuck at home and want some ideas, join in.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 21, 2020 11:59 am 

I was going to have a big girlie whine about how a rotator cuff injury has rooted up my routine but that has been kinda overtaken by the almost certain closure of my gym in the near future.

Instead, I will have a big girlie whine about how worried I am that the local Rebelsports store won't receive the bar and extra plates I ordered before it is, or I am, shut down.

Boo hoo not fair!

PostPosted: Sat Mar 21, 2020 12:12 pm 

Had a jog around Bushy Park, nice sunny day, all joggers were keeping their distance etc

There were still large groups of ramblers though clogging up paths and generally not keeping any distance. Strange given that on average these folk were probably most at risk.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 21, 2020 12:35 pm 

danny_fitz wrote:
Had a jog around Bushy Park, nice sunny day, all joggers were keeping their distance etc

There were still large groups of ramblers though clogging up paths and generally not keeping any distance. Strange given that on average these folk were probably most at risk.

Some people won't get it until they start seeing their friends and neighbours carted off in body bags.

I'm just ramping up the cardio and getting as fit as I can before I catch it.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 21, 2020 12:41 pm 

Anonymous. wrote:
danny_fitz wrote:

Some people won't get it until they start seeing their friends and neighbours carted off in body bags.

I'm just ramping up the cardio and getting as fit as I can before I catch it.

Yeah, it made me quite angry at first and then just sad, they are just not taking it seriously.

There is a large kiddy friendly cafe in the middle of the park and yesterday it was rammed with families.

I am doing daily runs, my somewhat crude theory is that if I can rattle out 10km each day I have not yet come down with the virus.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 21, 2020 1:45 pm 

This won't be news to any of the established lifters on here but for anyone at a loose end with gyms closed, and in possession of a shitty 50/60kg weight set, these bands are a great way to increase resistance to continue working squats, deadlifts etc.

I used a 35kg band with 60kg on the bar for some deadlifts for volume today, and it was surprisingly difficult at the top, even though 95kg on a normal bar would be pretty light for me normally. (Just wrap the band around the bar once and stand on the loop at each end).

Also if you don't have a squat rack, put the bar on some chairs and do Zercher squats. Great full-body exercise and they're tricky even with a fraction of what you can back squat. (Elbow sleeves help with the pain!)

There are also loads of videos popping up like this one from Jeff Nippard on ideas for home training.

I'm choosing to see the next few months as an opportunity to improvise and do some different stuff I wouldn't normally do - more volume, mobility, yoga and stretching etc.

I still won't go running though because fuck cardio.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 21, 2020 3:15 pm 

I'm just in from a run. :proud:
It was tough! x(

It occurred to me as I struggled around that even if I do catch the virus, I won't know for a bit. I'm generally tired and achy at the best of times as I recover from lifting. :lol:

I'm going to use the opportunity to improve on other stuff, too. I'll be devastated in a few months or whenever when I test my big lifts, but cest la vie. I'll get them back.
This would be the perfect time to have surgery on my wrist to repair an old injury, but that's clearly not a runner.

Have a load of bands of various resistance, adjustable DBs up to 10kg, a 6 and 10kg KB, push up handles, and (arriving today) a pull up bar. Can do cardio outside, have a skipping rope, there's a stairs in my flat, I can get creative.
Big focus will have to be flexibility and improving the gammy range of motion in my shoulders and hips.

Juji and Tom talk about some realistic and actually useful home exercise options too.
https://youtu.be/pXIS6a9gKts

PostPosted: Tue Mar 24, 2020 7:23 am 

Bumpo for the gym-deprived.

Given gyms will be off the menu for a whole a bunch of you, could you pretty please post what you will be doing in re a home routine?

I of course reserve the right to shamelessly flog any idea that appeals...

PostPosted: Tue Mar 24, 2020 7:31 am 

I’m heading out for slow 8km runs (at 140 HR zone, about 5.35min/km pace) every night after I finish work. I can’t be arsed doing focused HIIT or running for time. The running is more for my mental health of being cooped up in the house all day with two screaming kids and trying to manage a fairly stressful job remotely! Just plug in a podcast and zone out.

Going to get back on the bike this weekend as well,

Have some KBs in the back garden that I’ll eventually make use of.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 24, 2020 8:14 am 

MungoMan wrote:

Given gyms will be off the menu for a whole a bunch of you, could you pretty please post what you will be doing in re a home routine?

Check out the videos up the page.

Push ups. Hopefully progressing to some form of handstand push up with my feet up the wall. Have bands too which I'll wrap around my back to add extra resistance.
Pull ups. Lots.
Bulgarian split squats.
KB swings.
Pistol squats.
Glute bridges & Nordic curls.
Curls/tricep extensions.
Crunches, planks.

Shit load of stretching on niggles like my tighter hip or shoulder.

Running outside.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 24, 2020 9:07 am 

I'm going to be borrowing a lot of ideas from Ryan Humiston (YouTube)

Essentially trying to make simple exercises as difficult as possible, focusing on contracting specific muscles, constant tension, internal cues etc.

For example, doing press ups with extended range of motion (hands on books for example), no lockout and squeezing inwardly as hard as possible throughout the whole movement. It'll slash the number of reps you can do massively and you'll feel it.

Similarly, front foot elevated split squat with no lockout keeping constant tension on the quad by actively squeezing.

I'm going to go through some of these concepts in the Facebook group.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 24, 2020 9:14 am 

I bought push up handles to try and emulate the feel and range of motion of a barbell bench press.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 24, 2020 11:09 am 

Nolanator wrote:
MungoMan wrote:

Check out the videos up the page.

Push ups. Hopefully progressing to some form of handstand push up with my feet up the wall. Have bands too which I'll wrap around my back to add extra resistance.
Pull ups. Lots.
Bulgarian split squats.
KB swings.
Pistol squats.
Glute bridges & Nordic curls.
Curls/tricep extensions.
Crunches, planks.

Shit load of stretching on niggles like my tighter hip or shoulder.

Running outside.

Good. Good!

Some are out for me as my GP said no weights work for the lower body (buggered knees) plus I have to get over a rotator cuff injury.

OTOH I bought and installed one of those doorway pull-up bars yesterday and started today. Not up to adding weights quite yet but will be soon. And I’m still hoping the bar and extra plates I ordered will turn up.

For the time being I’m investigating dumbbell exercise that will work with the limited plates I have, plus bodyweight-only exercises. (Jeremy Ethier has a v. recent YouTube piece I need to watch again).

Cardio-wise I’ll keep up the walking to the extent my knees permit and spend more time on my new, and very enjoyable, bike.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 24, 2020 11:19 am 

Jeremy Ethier is a good shout. :thumbup:

I ordered some bands with handles that have a door jam thing to anchor them. Last thing I'm hoping will still arrive.

I got a cheap door frame pull up bar which promptly broke when I hung out of it. :lol:
Bolt got threaded as I tightened it and the nut ripped off as soon as I put weight on it. Thankfully, I was able to pilfer a load of heavy duty M6 bolts, washers, and nuts from work yesterday and replaced all the shit ones that came with the frame. Seems more robust now, apart from the slightly disconcerting flex when I use it. It'll do the job.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 24, 2020 11:34 am 

Gentle 45 min erg this morning in the sunshine in the back garden while watching the Ken Burns Vietnam documentary. Quite therapeutic to be honest.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 25, 2020 8:39 pm 

Did a bunch of intervals today. Run 400, walk 100. 4 reps, walk 300m, then repeat.

Fúck me, I haven't run hard for a protracted period for a log time. I may be stronger than I was playing rugby, but I'm definitely much worse in terms of general athletic conditioning.

There's a running track literally 10 minutes from me that I've never visited before. It's all locked up now, so I just ran around the football pitches beside it. Found a decent spot for hill sprints as well.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 25, 2020 8:46 pm 

Family all doing Joe Wicks 9am YouTube world out.

That and I’m walking the dog 5 miles plus a day.

Need to add specific tasks though.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 26, 2020 1:06 am 

Nolanator wrote:
Did a bunch of intervals today. Run 400, walk 100. 4 reps, walk 300m, then repeat.

Fúck me, I haven't run hard for a protracted period for a log time. I may be stronger than I was playing rugby, but I'm definitely much worse in terms of general athletic conditioning.

According to aerobic fitness tests I am much fitter than I was when I was playing, however if you add in the tackling/rucking/mauling and all out sprinting that happens in a game I doubt I am.

Also I can let oyu know that no matter how fit you think you are, there is no substitution for match fitness.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 26, 2020 1:23 am 

Diet and motivation have gone to shit. Disaster.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 26, 2020 8:54 am 

ElementFreak wrote:
Nolanator wrote:

According to aerobic fitness tests I am much fitter than I was when I was playing, however if you add in the tackling/rucking/mauling and all out sprinting that happens in a game I doubt I am.

Also I can let oyu know that no matter how fit you think you are, there is no substitution for match fitness.

Ah yeah. That first match back was always tough, even after a decent preseason. Nothing like just having to hit people, get off the floor, wrestle, scrum, lift, etc over and over. No substitute for it.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 26, 2020 9:00 am 

Nolanator wrote:
ElementFreak wrote:
Nolanator wrote:

Ah yeah. That first match back was always tough, even after a decent preseason. Nothing like just having to hit people, get off the floor, wrestle, scrum, lift, etc over and over. No substitute for it.

Agreed. Do you think aggression helps? I was a notoriously poor trainer (partly because of playing wed and sat and sun for uni, club and then colts) so was usually knackered and hungover. But come Match day and the chance to hit someone in da fais, I got stuck in.

At school I hated house matches , but loved beating toff schools

PostPosted: Thu Mar 26, 2020 9:14 am 

bimboman wrote:
Family all doing Joe Wicks 9am YouTube world out.

That and I’m walking the dog 5 miles plus a day.

Need to add specific tasks though.

Weights. Get a second dog; walk one, carry the other.

Don’t forget to swap arms or you’ll end up looking like a fiddler crab.

EDIT

Wrong crab :blush:

PostPosted: Thu Mar 26, 2020 9:31 am 

Been seeing a few lads on Strava putting in some 5km/10km PBs during the past couple of weeks.
I did 10km in 48mins last weekend which ain’t bad for being a fat f**k imo.
Reckon once everyone has steamed through the Easter eggs in the next week or two, there’ll be some serious PBs thrown up if self-isolation continues.

There is literally f**k all else to keep you sane than doing cardio atm :lol:

PostPosted: Thu Mar 26, 2020 9:46 am 

48 min for 10km is class. I'm usually knackered after 24 min 5km. Couldn't keep that sorry of pace up for twice the distance.

It's my birthday on Saturday. I'm going to smash through a load of Easter Eggs by myself. :proud:
Won't be good for fitness levels!

PostPosted: Thu Mar 26, 2020 9:26 pm 

Nolanator wrote:
ElementFreak wrote:
Nolanator wrote:

At least as a player, especially a forward, you roll is tackle and hit rucks. The occasional carry. As a referee the last 5-10 minutes of the match first up is a f**king train wreck. No my legs will get me there but the thought process is half a second off and therefore mistakes sometimes happen. I tend to put my whistle away for the last 10 early in the season and only call stuff that the one eyed, drunk old boy in the crowd saw. If he's picking it up it's probably wrong. :lol:

PostPosted: Thu Mar 26, 2020 9:30 pm 

I have been on fire this week. Endurance ergs, sprint ergs, kettle bells, lock downs are ace.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 27, 2020 11:11 am 

I'm making the most of this to try and actually get properly fit. Over the summer with pre-season I got to a decent level but with 2 knee injuries since I've gone back to my old ways.

I've always been terrible at any form of distance running being much more of a sprinter earlier when I was younger but I have done a few park runs where my PB was 27mins, with that cancelled I've being trying to run more round my area but I find it boring, so I've been mixing it in with doing what I can bodyweight wise and also using what I have round the house (paint tins, railway sleeper left over from making benches last year, said benches, scaffold planks)

Saturday - 1.5km run, 25min HIIT (5x5 circuits of 40 seconds with 20 second rest, press ups, sit ups, SAQ ladder work, skipping, overhead press with sleeper) 1.5km run
Sunday - Day off went for a walk
Monday - 1.5km run, 30mins of lifting (overhead press with sleeper, lifting one end of sleeper bench for shoulder raises, bench press using paving slabs, one arm press with sleeper balances on wall, curls with paint tins), 1.5km run
Tuesday - 4km run, 100 press ups, 50 sit ups
Wednesday - 1.5km run, star jumps, stair steps, 50cm jump, squat holding sleeper, 1.5km run
Thursday - Same as Monday
Friday - Day off, going to go for a walk.

Not big distances but probably the furthest I've run in a single week outside of being back at rugby training in school. Currently running sub 5min 1k splits for those smaller (1.5km) distances and did the 4k in 22min so next week I'm going to try and work out a 5km route and see what time I can do.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 27, 2020 11:31 am 

How many knee injuries do you typically have each year? :lol:

PostPosted: Fri Mar 27, 2020 11:38 am 

Nolanator wrote:
How many knee injuries do you typically have each year? :lol:

Had a big one (torn ACL) 10 years ago and tbh I've only played 2 full seasons since then. This is my first season back in 5 years, tore my medial ligament and damaged my meniscus on the day of the world cup final, returned in Feb, played 2 matches and twisted my knee in the last minute of the second game back.

I'm a complete sick not tbf, knee ligaments, ankle ligaments, groin tears, hamstring tears, concussion etc. I should take the hint and retire but it's still fun.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 26286 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 654, 655, 656, 657, 658  Next