The Official Irish Rugby Thread

All things Rugby
irishrugbyua

Re: The Official Irish Rugby Thread

Post by irishrugbyua »

Jim Lahey wrote: Wed Sep 16, 2020 9:55 am Level 3 knocks all amateur games out as well doesn’t it? Is that likely to happen just in Dublin or across ROI?

I wonder what that will mean for junior rugby in Ulster. We have a couple of ROI sides in Qualifying 3. If the ROI sides can’t play it pretty much f**ks the league.
just dublin it would appear.
Jim Lahey

Post by Jim Lahey »

You ladies must have gotten underneath the skin of Dan McF with all your bolding of names.

https://www.the42.ie/dan-mcfarland-ulst ... 4-Sep2020/

I get his point entirely. He’s in charge of picking the best team each week and creating a good environment for the squad. Its not his fault there are very few Ulster-born forwards in the squad. It only becomes his fault if he’s picking guys like NDTCR ahead of Marcus Rea or McCann.

The failure is with the academy and talent identification at underage level. The buck stops with the blazers at the Ulster Branch for that.
EverReady

Post by EverReady »

He's absolutely spot on and they are just lucky that each one of them has so many friends from Leinster in the squad
earl the beaver

Post by earl the beaver »

Jim Lahey wrote: Wed Sep 16, 2020 10:24 am You ladies must have gotten underneath the skin of Dan McF with all your bolding of names.

I get his point entirely. He’s in charge of picking the best team each week and creating a good environment for the squad. Its not his fault there are very few Ulster-born forwards in the squad. It only becomes his fault if he’s picking guys like NDTCR ahead of Marcus Rea or McCann.

The failure is with the academy and talent identification at underage level. The buck stops with the blazers at the Ulster Branch for that.
Leinster Product Tom O'Toole? Who moved to Aus aged 6 and then to Belfast aged 17 and entered the Ulster academy from school? Would have thought the42 would put some effort in.
EverReady

Post by EverReady »

Let the lad belong Earl. Let him be part of something bigger
rfurlong

Post by rfurlong »

earl the beaver wrote: Wed Sep 16, 2020 10:34 am
Jim Lahey wrote: Wed Sep 16, 2020 10:24 am You ladies must have gotten underneath the skin of Dan McF with all your bolding of names.

Leinster Product Tom O'Toole? Who moved to Aus aged 6 and then to Belfast aged 17 and entered the Ulster academy from school? Would have thought the42 would put some effort in.
he's a Termonfeckin lad and don't you forget it ! :nod:

we're not claiming John McKee if its any consolation...
irishrugbyua

Post by irishrugbyua »

earl the beaver wrote: Wed Sep 16, 2020 10:34 am

to be fair O'Toole is quoted by McFarland as someone who isn't thinking about where he is from when packing down.

But yeah that's poor by Murray.
irishrugbyua

Post by irishrugbyua »

Munster A play Connacht Eagles this weekend.

Leinster A and Ulster A have no game after covid outbreak in Ulster Academy has delayed their return to play.
Floppykid

Post by Floppykid »

Lots of faux woke sentiment in comments section of that 42 article.
Convenient for some of the Munster types in there to say "it shouldn't matter where you're from" uh huh.
Nolanator

Post by Nolanator »

Floppykid wrote: Wed Sep 16, 2020 5:21 pm Lots of faux woke sentiment in comments section of that 42 article.
Convenient for some of the Munster types in there to say "it shouldn't matter where you're from" uh huh.
At least the Ulster guys can claim that they support Ireland, overall.
Nolanator

Post by Nolanator »

Home semi for Leinster, should they beat Sarries. Was this already confirmed, or just decided today?
CM11

Post by CM11 »

Nolanator wrote: Wed Sep 16, 2020 5:27 pm Home semi for Leinster, should they beat Sarries. Was this already confirmed, or just decided today?
I thought it was already the case that the top seed would get home advantage but it's been presented as new.
Floppykid

Post by Floppykid »

If you stopped being a passionate supporter because of the place of birth on a certificate then you aren’t a real fan. I don’t look at the teamsheet and decide to dilute my support based on the selection of guys from outside Ulster.
I’d love a team of Ulster born players, and some day that may happen, but the fact we have guys prepared to put bodies on the line for themselves, their teammates and us supporters is good enough for me.
What a fuckhead. :lol:
CM11

Post by CM11 »

Leinster's 2009 side was quite diluted. The main difference being that from the moment Cheika came in, all the way through Schmidt and then Cullen, the academy was treated with respect and young Leinster players weren't ignored.
camroc1

Post by camroc1 »

CM11 wrote: Wed Sep 16, 2020 5:38 pm Leinster's 2009 side was quite diluted. The main difference being that from the moment Cheika came in, all the way through Schmidt and then Cullen, the academy was treated with respect and young Leinster players weren't ignored.
Except for the MOCalypse. And was one of the reasons his contract was not renewed.
irishrugbyua

Post by irishrugbyua »

Nolanator wrote: Wed Sep 16, 2020 5:27 pm Home semi for Leinster, should they beat Sarries. Was this already confirmed, or just decided today?
always been the case that top seed gets home adv.
earl the beaver

CM11 wrote: Wed Sep 16, 2020 5:38 pm Leinster's 2009 side was quite diluted. The main difference being that from the moment Cheika came in, all the way through Schmidt and then Cullen, the academy was treated with respect and young Leinster players weren't ignored.
Ulster are giving academy guys time, of the starting 15 from Saturday 10 came through the academy.

Problem is of Leinster players in the set up Shanahan, AOC, DOC, EOS, Timoney and Jones all came through our academy, we don't seem to be identifying young forwards in Ulster, if we were they would get a shot in the current setup (and in our 2 set ups previous).

Backs though we're doing okay on.
rialtoblue

Post by rialtoblue »

earl the beaver wrote: Wed Sep 16, 2020 7:21 pm
Ulster are giving academy guys time, of the starting 15 from Saturday 10 came through the academy.

Problem is of Leinster players in the set up Shanahan, AOC, DOC, EOS, Timoney and Jones all came through our academy, we don't seem to be identifying young forwards in Ulster, if we were they would get a shot in the current setup (and in our 2 set ups previous).

Backs though we're doing okay on.

Earl, any anecdotal hypothesis on where the forwards are? Branch dropping the ball, schools overly focused on backs, not enough big lumps around?
CM11

Post by CM11 »

I'd be looking at Munster more than Ulster, tbf.
Floppykid

Post by Floppykid »

Cooney
Madigan
Baloucoune
Marshall
Hume
Too Lyttle
Lowry
That wouldn't be a bad backline at all at all.
irishrugbyua

Post by irishrugbyua »

Rumored that ulster added a few homegrown forwards to their academy. Oscar Egan, George Saunderson and Conor McMenamin would make sense..
danthefan

Post by danthefan »

camroc1 wrote: Wed Sep 16, 2020 5:41 pm
Except for the MOCalypse. And was one of the reasons his contract was not renewed.
I thought he was straight up sacked, did he not have a year left?
CM11

Post by CM11 »

danthefan wrote: Wed Sep 16, 2020 7:32 pm
Think we had a break clause. So sorta sacked.
camroc1

Post by camroc1 »

danthefan wrote: Wed Sep 16, 2020 7:32 pm
There was an option for another year under his contract, which Leinster declined to exercise.
Jim Lahey

Post by Jim Lahey »

irishrugbyua wrote: Wed Sep 16, 2020 7:27 pm Rumored that ulster added a few homegrown forwards to their academy. Oscar Egan, George Saunderson and Conor McMenamin would make sense..
Good, they would need to.
According to the website the current composition of the academy is:

1 x prop
2 x hookers
1 x lock (the sevens lad who we took a punt on)
3 x backrows
2 x SHs
1 x OH
2 x Centres
3 x Wingers

I don't particularly follow school/underage rugby but the only ones I've heard people on here harp on about having serious potential of breaking into the side in the very near future are McCann, Stewart, Doak/Finley and Mclroy.

Not a baby-eating lock or psychotic-looking backrower in sight.
irishrugbyua

Post by irishrugbyua »

Jim Lahey wrote: Wed Sep 16, 2020 7:41 pm
irishrugbyua wrote: Wed Sep 16, 2020 7:27 pm Rumored that ulster added a few homegrown forwards to their academy. Oscar Egan, George Saunderson and Conor McMenamin would make sense..
Good, they would need to.
According to the website the current composition of the academy is:

1 x prop
2 x hookers
1 x lock (the sevens lad who we took a punt on)
3 x backrows
2 x SHs
1 x OH
2 x Centres
3 x Wingers

I don't particularly follow school/underage rugby but the only ones I've heard people on here harp on about having serious potential of breaking into the side in the very near future are McCann, Stewart, Doak/Finley and Mclroy.

Not a baby-eating lock or psychotic-looking backrower in sight.
well Egan and Saunderson are props and McMenamin is a lock.

Crothers and McCann are two quality backrow prospects.
irishrugbyua

Post by irishrugbyua »

https://www.independent.ie/irish-news/d ... 37969.html

I dont think level 3 affects pro sport.. but not 100% on that.
HighKingLeinster

Post by HighKingLeinster »

irishrugbyua wrote: Wed Sep 16, 2020 9:54 pm https://www.independent.ie/irish-news/d ... 37969.html

I saw a graphic that said elite sport is exempt from lvl 3. But have just seen another that makes no such mention :?
irishrugbyua

Post by irishrugbyua »

HighKingLeinster wrote: Wed Sep 16, 2020 9:56 pm
irishrugbyua wrote: Wed Sep 16, 2020 9:54 pm https://www.independent.ie/irish-news/d ... 37969.html

I saw a graphic that said elite sport is exempt from lvl 3. But have just seen another that makes no such mention :?
Yeah it's unclear.. shockingly.. assume the GAA is exempt so pro rugby surely is given the testing they do around it.
irishrugbyua

Post by irishrugbyua »

ROC saying Cronin may return for sarries... you'd assume he'd be on the bench at least but starting him ahead of Kelleher is a big shout.
danthefan

Post by danthefan »

Where has he been, injured?
irishrugbyua

Post by irishrugbyua »

danthefan wrote: Thu Sep 17, 2020 8:38 am Where has he been, injured?
Apparently he was dropped for tracy last weekend.
earl the beaver

I see both Toulouse locks that got red carded only got one game bans from FFR so are available to play in the QF, nothing dodgy about that at all.

Elbow to the face - 1 week ban

Shoulder charge to the head - 1 week ban
Mullet 2

Post by Mullet 2 »

Good old FFR
Jim Lahey

Post by Jim Lahey »

They mustn’t like Racing Metro, 3 weeks for this.

https://youtu.be/W_NUXiet0W0

I mean its not great under current interpretations but I don’t think its worthy of a 3 week ban.
earl the beaver

Jim Lahey wrote: Thu Sep 17, 2020 9:38 am They mustn’t like Racing Metro, 3 weeks for this.

https://youtu.be/W_NUXiet0W0

I mean its not great under current interpretations but I don’t think its worthy of a 3 week ban.
Playing another French team tbf.
hermie

Post by hermie »

danthefan wrote: Thu Sep 17, 2020 8:38 am Where has he been, injured?
He featured off the bench the two games prior to the final, no? Just part of rotation to bring Tracy in. Always expected him to be involved this weekend to be honest.
CM11

Post by CM11 »

Possibly means he's starting?
Nolanator

Post by Nolanator »

Maybe tightening up on lineout for this game and going with the experienced head?
Don't mind the idea of horses for courses, TBH. Sarries are an exceptional team with a great lineout. Need to account for that. Kelleher off the bench for energy in the end game is also tasty enough.
CM11

Post by CM11 »

Nolanator wrote: Thu Sep 17, 2020 9:57 am Maybe tightening up on lineout for this game and going with the experienced head?
Don't mind the idea of horses for courses, TBH. Sarries are an exceptional team with a great lineout. Need to account for that. Kelleher off the bench for energy in the end game is also tasty enough.
I'd have preferred Cronin to be more in the groove at lineout time if that's the reasoning. He's hardly ultra reliable in that area himself.