OFFICIAL Brexit Thread

All things Rugby
piquant
Posts: 9282
Joined: Tue Jul 15, 2014 9:01 am

Re: OFFICIAL Brexit Thread

Post by piquant »

shereblue wrote: Wed Jan 13, 2021 12:19 pm
backrow wrote: Wed Jan 13, 2021 11:26 am However much brexiters are derided by remainers regarding unicorns and believing lies fornthe economic effect of brexit, the exact same level of ignorance is displayed on the remainer side re ‘things will be worse and more expensive for the uk consumer’. There is always this assumption that joe public will simply end up paying more, not realising that there are certain price elasticities and alternatives available for any product or service.
I for one am looking forward to buying more food from outside the Eu that will sometimes be cheaper and just as good quality as the overpriced EU equivalent , ditto cars etc

There may even be a backlash against french cars or Irish beef or french cheese by certain sections of the Uk public, once lockdown ends.
Brits on food eh :roll:

Anti-elitist Brexitists bragging about eating in Michelin starred restaurants one minute and blind to the simple benefits of quality FRESH ingredients on tap.

Always looking for a silly, nationalist edge.

Fact is Brexit is fucki ng fresh food supply chains - which benefit all Europeans.

Brits in choosing "sovereignty" over decent food and close trading relations with their neighbours.
There are literally no downsides to adding hugely to food miles in an age with no concerns around pollutants and climate change. We should all see this as a marvel and wonder at it's conception and inception
User avatar
RodneyRegis
Posts: 15652
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am

Re: OFFICIAL Brexit Thread

Post by RodneyRegis »

piquant wrote: Wed Jan 13, 2021 10:22 pm
shereblue wrote: Wed Jan 13, 2021 12:19 pm
backrow wrote: Wed Jan 13, 2021 11:26 am However much brexiters are derided by remainers regarding unicorns and believing lies fornthe economic effect of brexit, the exact same level of ignorance is displayed on the remainer side re ‘things will be worse and more expensive for the uk consumer’. There is always this assumption that joe public will simply end up paying more, not realising that there are certain price elasticities and alternatives available for any product or service.
I for one am looking forward to buying more food from outside the Eu that will sometimes be cheaper and just as good quality as the overpriced EU equivalent , ditto cars etc

There may even be a backlash against french cars or Irish beef or french cheese by certain sections of the Uk public, once lockdown ends.
Brits on food eh :roll:

Anti-elitist Brexitists bragging about eating in Michelin starred restaurants one minute and blind to the simple benefits of quality FRESH ingredients on tap.

Always looking for a silly, nationalist edge.

Fact is Brexit is fucki ng fresh food supply chains - which benefit all Europeans.

Brits in choosing "sovereignty" over decent food and close trading relations with their neighbours.
There are literally no downsides to adding hugely to food miles in an age with no concerns around pollutants and climate change. We should all see this as a marvel and wonder at it's conception and inception
Food miles ffs. Guessing you only eat turnips?
bimboman
Posts: 67650
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am

Re: OFFICIAL Brexit Thread

Post by bimboman »

backrow wrote: Wed Jan 13, 2021 8:05 pm
shereblue wrote: Wed Jan 13, 2021 7:15 pm
backrow wrote: Wed Jan 13, 2021 5:11 pm
Sawtooth the Beaver wrote: Wed Jan 13, 2021 4:41 pm
bimboman » 13 Jan 2021 14:30

Sawtooth the Beaver wrote: ↑13 Jan 2021 14:29
Sawtooth the Beaver wrote: ↑13 Jan 2021 13:38
They might buy parts in Europe or the UK cheaper. These are always increases.
Top
No cheaper than they could have last year though, eh.


Who knows, however in the short term this is bad for German manufacturing base by the looks of it. Let’s hope it gets sorted soon.
At least not cheaper because of Brexit we can safely say.

It may well become cheaper,
Tempt me with that unicorn.

How will a part be manufactured in the UK or the EU become cheaper specifically because of Brexit and how soon.

I could postulate but interested to hear your view.
How’s about weaker pound than five years ago makes the widget made in UK cheaper?
Oh, and the staff there cheaper vis workshy frogs,micks, wops and dagos
Frogs work more productively than thick Brexitists which gives them more leisure time.
If you take out all the paper cost and bloated admin that a french worker incurs forntheir enployer, this is patently not true. Job mobility is far less in France than uk and you get far more frenchies doing empty roles sitting on their arses, notngetting anything done but being measured as productive output as being greater than a country that uses contractors more like Uk or especially USA.

Productivity is a huge topic , and if shorter hours but higher wages alone is the measure then yes France is ahead of uk by quite some way.


The French studies are all based upon reported hours which private companies all report as the legal amounts allowed (ie 35 hour weeks) the French really work as many hours as the rest of us and are about as productive.
bimboman
Posts: 67650
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am

Re: OFFICIAL Brexit Thread

Post by bimboman »

piquant wrote: Wed Jan 13, 2021 10:22 pm
shereblue wrote: Wed Jan 13, 2021 12:19 pm
backrow wrote: Wed Jan 13, 2021 11:26 am However much brexiters are derided by remainers regarding unicorns and believing lies fornthe economic effect of brexit, the exact same level of ignorance is displayed on the remainer side re ‘things will be worse and more expensive for the uk consumer’. There is always this assumption that joe public will simply end up paying more, not realising that there are certain price elasticities and alternatives available for any product or service.
I for one am looking forward to buying more food from outside the Eu that will sometimes be cheaper and just as good quality as the overpriced EU equivalent , ditto cars etc

There may even be a backlash against french cars or Irish beef or french cheese by certain sections of the Uk public, once lockdown ends.
Brits on food eh :roll:

Anti-elitist Brexitists bragging about eating in Michelin starred restaurants one minute and blind to the simple benefits of quality FRESH ingredients on tap.

Always looking for a silly, nationalist edge.

Fact is Brexit is fucki ng fresh food supply chains - which benefit all Europeans.

Brits in choosing "sovereignty" over decent food and close trading relations with their neighbours.
There are literally no downsides to adding hugely to food miles in an age with no concerns around pollutants and climate change. We should all see this as a marvel and wonder at it's conception and inception


An absolute myth if you count the nitrogen and industry required to grow a similar product in the wrong place. Lincolnshire is great for Spuds but a very inefficient place to grow green beans.
piquant
Posts: 9282
Joined: Tue Jul 15, 2014 9:01 am

Re: OFFICIAL Brexit Thread

Post by piquant »

RodneyRegis wrote: Wed Jan 13, 2021 10:40 pm
piquant wrote: Wed Jan 13, 2021 10:22 pm
shereblue wrote: Wed Jan 13, 2021 12:19 pm
backrow wrote: Wed Jan 13, 2021 11:26 am However much brexiters are derided by remainers regarding unicorns and believing lies fornthe economic effect of brexit, the exact same level of ignorance is displayed on the remainer side re ‘things will be worse and more expensive for the uk consumer’. There is always this assumption that joe public will simply end up paying more, not realising that there are certain price elasticities and alternatives available for any product or service.
I for one am looking forward to buying more food from outside the Eu that will sometimes be cheaper and just as good quality as the overpriced EU equivalent , ditto cars etc

There may even be a backlash against french cars or Irish beef or french cheese by certain sections of the Uk public, once lockdown ends.
Brits on food eh :roll:

Anti-elitist Brexitists bragging about eating in Michelin starred restaurants one minute and blind to the simple benefits of quality FRESH ingredients on tap.

Always looking for a silly, nationalist edge.

Fact is Brexit is fucki ng fresh food supply chains - which benefit all Europeans.

Brits in choosing "sovereignty" over decent food and close trading relations with their neighbours.
There are literally no downsides to adding hugely to food miles in an age with no concerns around pollutants and climate change. We should all see this as a marvel and wonder at it's conception and inception
Food miles ffs. Guessing you only eat turnips?
No, but it's not something we should be wanting to add too where it palpably makes no sodding sense. And the carbon and heavy metal footprint and the like isn't nothing in the wide world of transport. Though I suppose if it were noted it's an issue to take seriously we'll just keep some further variant on project fear, and the continued notion if you refuse to look at problems they can't be real

And Brexit is going to keep running against this sort of issue because it's nowhere close to a joined up piece of thinking.
bimboman
Posts: 67650
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am

Re: OFFICIAL Brexit Thread

Post by bimboman »

Growing the right products in the right place and the efficiency that brings is a massive benefit to humans and one of the larger factors in how we now feed 7 billion people. By any measure if you include the need for industrial nitrogen it’s also eco friendly.

It’s practically Luddite to argue against the globalisation of food.
User avatar
message #2527204
Posts: 12765
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Location: Ultracrepidaria

Re: OFFICIAL Brexit Thread

Post by message #2527204 »

piquant wrote: Wed Jan 13, 2021 10:22 pm
shereblue wrote: Wed Jan 13, 2021 12:19 pm
backrow wrote: Wed Jan 13, 2021 11:26 am However much brexiters are derided by remainers regarding unicorns and believing lies fornthe economic effect of brexit, the exact same level of ignorance is displayed on the remainer side re ‘things will be worse and more expensive for the uk consumer’. There is always this assumption that joe public will simply end up paying more, not realising that there are certain price elasticities and alternatives available for any product or service.
I for one am looking forward to buying more food from outside the Eu that will sometimes be cheaper and just as good quality as the overpriced EU equivalent , ditto cars etc

There may even be a backlash against french cars or Irish beef or french cheese by certain sections of the Uk public, once lockdown ends.
Brits on food eh :roll:

Anti-elitist Brexitists bragging about eating in Michelin starred restaurants one minute and blind to the simple benefits of quality FRESH ingredients on tap.

Always looking for a silly, nationalist edge.

Fact is Brexit is fucki ng fresh food supply chains - which benefit all Europeans.

Brits in choosing "sovereignty" over decent food and close trading relations with their neighbours.
There are literally no downsides to adding hugely to food miles in an age with no concerns around pollutants and climate change. We should all see this as a marvel and wonder at it's conception and inception
And this is the UKs fault? The EU is imposing these conditions.
Sawtooth the Beaver
Posts: 774
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am

Re: OFFICIAL Brexit Thread

Post by Sawtooth the Beaver »

As long as tempered with a move to seasonal eating and caveated by methods of transportation.
User avatar
Gavin Duffy
Posts: 15816
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am

Re: OFFICIAL Brexit Thread

Post by Gavin Duffy »

bimboman wrote: Wed Jan 13, 2021 11:12 pm Growing the right products in the right place and the efficiency that brings is a massive benefit to humans and one of the larger factors in how we now feed 7 billion people. By any measure if you include the need for industrial nitrogen it’s also eco friendly.

It’s practically Luddite to argue against the globalisation of food.
Is there no subject you know anything about? You're a true polymoron.
bimboman
Posts: 67650
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am

Re: OFFICIAL Brexit Thread

Post by bimboman »

Gavin Duffy wrote: Wed Jan 13, 2021 11:30 pm
bimboman wrote: Wed Jan 13, 2021 11:12 pm Growing the right products in the right place and the efficiency that brings is a massive benefit to humans and one of the larger factors in how we now feed 7 billion people. By any measure if you include the need for industrial nitrogen it’s also eco friendly.

It’s practically Luddite to argue against the globalisation of food.
Is there no subject you know anything about? You're a true polymoron.


I work in food logistics and storage, I’ve had to present on these issues.

That you’re stupid isn’t my concern.
bimboman
Posts: 67650
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am

Re: OFFICIAL Brexit Thread

Post by bimboman »

Sawtooth the Beaver wrote: Wed Jan 13, 2021 11:27 pm As long as tempered with a move to seasonal eating and caveated by methods of transportation.

The UK would starve is we attempted this.
User avatar
YOYO
Posts: 18370
Joined: Sat Feb 04, 2012 7:44 pm

Re: OFFICIAL Brexit Thread

Post by YOYO »

What do you say??

The two lives of Ian Perkes. The before / after Brexit Ian Perkes. Astonishing.

https://twitter.com/jim_cornelius/statu ... 95396?s=21
Last edited by YOYO on Thu Jan 14, 2021 12:15 am, edited 1 time in total.
Sawtooth the Beaver
Posts: 774
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am

Re: OFFICIAL Brexit Thread

Post by Sawtooth the Beaver »

Post by bimboman » 13 Jan 2021 23:06

Sawtooth the Beaver wrote: ↑13 Jan 2021 22:27
As long as tempered with a move to seasonal eating and caveated by methods of transportation.

The UK would starve is we attempted this.
you said it
User avatar
YOYO
Posts: 18370
Joined: Sat Feb 04, 2012 7:44 pm

Re: OFFICIAL Brexit Thread

Post by YOYO »

bimboman wrote: Tue Dec 08, 2020 5:34 pm
camroc1 wrote: Tue Dec 08, 2020 5:30 pm
backrow wrote: Tue Dec 08, 2020 4:47 pm Seems like the Micks and Biden have been placated, is it’s just the French Fish to fry.

Anyone with a trading screen seeing how this news has been received by the markets? Bimbo ?
Ah, UK going for the trifecta of bummings !

You think today’s agreement is a Bumming ? :lol: , EU backed down on your behalf. We won’t be hearing from Coveney any more at least.

We will sell our fish and have an independent level playing field adjudication. Job done.
What was that bimbo??
User avatar
RodneyRegis
Posts: 15652
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am

Re: OFFICIAL Brexit Thread

Post by RodneyRegis »

YOYO wrote: Thu Jan 14, 2021 12:14 am What do you say??

The two lives of Ian Perkes. The before / after Brexit Ian Perkes. Astonishing.

https://twitter.com/jim_cornelius/statu ... 95396?s=21
Astonishing. I thought we were going to build the boats overnight.

If only there was some kind of transition period.
User avatar
YOYO
Posts: 18370
Joined: Sat Feb 04, 2012 7:44 pm

Re: OFFICIAL Brexit Thread

Post by YOYO »

RodneyRegis wrote: Thu Jan 14, 2021 12:29 am
YOYO wrote: Thu Jan 14, 2021 12:14 am What do you say??

The two lives of Ian Perkes. The before / after Brexit Ian Perkes. Astonishing.

https://twitter.com/jim_cornelius/statu ... 95396?s=21
Astonishing. I thought we were going to build the boats overnight.

If only there was some kind of transition period.
Astonishing that people could be so easily fooled. Lack of critical thinking en masse

No doubt the UK can build the infrastructure to fish extensively your own waters but the these early years are going to be tough.
User avatar
message #2527204
Posts: 12765
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Location: Ultracrepidaria

Re: OFFICIAL Brexit Thread

Post by message #2527204 »

YOYO wrote: Thu Jan 14, 2021 12:31 am
RodneyRegis wrote: Thu Jan 14, 2021 12:29 am
YOYO wrote: Thu Jan 14, 2021 12:14 am What do you say??

The two lives of Ian Perkes. The before / after Brexit Ian Perkes. Astonishing.

https://twitter.com/jim_cornelius/statu ... 95396?s=21
Astonishing. I thought we were going to build the boats overnight.

If only there was some kind of transition period.
Astonishing that people could be so easily fooled. Lack of critical thinking in masses.

No doubt the UK can build the infrastructure to fish extensively your own waters but the these early years are going to be tough.
There's no change for 5.5 years
User avatar
RodneyRegis
Posts: 15652
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am

Re: OFFICIAL Brexit Thread

Post by RodneyRegis »

message #2527204 wrote: Thu Jan 14, 2021 12:33 am
YOYO wrote: Thu Jan 14, 2021 12:31 am
RodneyRegis wrote: Thu Jan 14, 2021 12:29 am
YOYO wrote: Thu Jan 14, 2021 12:14 am What do you say??

The two lives of Ian Perkes. The before / after Brexit Ian Perkes. Astonishing.

https://twitter.com/jim_cornelius/statu ... 95396?s=21
Astonishing. I thought we were going to build the boats overnight.

If only there was some kind of transition period.
Astonishing that people could be so easily fooled. Lack of critical thinking in masses.

No doubt the UK can build the infrastructure to fish extensively your own waters but the these early years are going to be tough.
There's no change for 5.5 years
But the paperwork!!!
mdaclarke
Posts: 3458
Joined: Mon Jun 19, 2017 7:53 pm

Re: OFFICIAL Brexit Thread

Post by mdaclarke »

RodneyRegis wrote: Wed Jan 13, 2021 10:45 am
mdaclarke wrote: Mon Jan 11, 2021 11:00 pm https://www.theguardian.com/politics/20 ... sh-drivers

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

I wouldn't let them take it, I'd scoff the lot!!!
I didn't vote for this.

When they told me the economy would fall off a cliff and we'd be thousands of pounds worse off I took it in my stride, but this is too much. Nobody told me they'd take our sandwiches.

Enjoying MrJamesOB at the moment, he's in fine fettle.

https://twitter.com/mrjamesob/status/13 ... 3254756352
"Freedom of movement gone, you never thought about that did you!"

https://twitter.com/mrjamesob/status/13 ... 3779613698
No reports from English fishermen then?
All the James O'Brien/Guardian types don;t get it. They say there is no benefits etc etc etc. The don;t seem to realise that for many people outside London the end of freedom of movement is the most important thing.

They are making the same mistake again (failing to understand what motivates brexiteers)
User avatar
YOYO
Posts: 18370
Joined: Sat Feb 04, 2012 7:44 pm

Re: OFFICIAL Brexit Thread

Post by YOYO »

RodneyRegis wrote: Thu Jan 14, 2021 12:36 am
message #2527204 wrote: Thu Jan 14, 2021 12:33 am
YOYO wrote: Thu Jan 14, 2021 12:31 am
RodneyRegis wrote: Thu Jan 14, 2021 12:29 am
YOYO wrote: Thu Jan 14, 2021 12:14 am What do you say??

The two lives of Ian Perkes. The before / after Brexit Ian Perkes. Astonishing.

https://twitter.com/jim_cornelius/statu ... 95396?s=21
Astonishing. I thought we were going to build the boats overnight.

If only there was some kind of transition period.
Astonishing that people could be so easily fooled. Lack of critical thinking in masses.

No doubt the UK can build the infrastructure to fish extensively your own waters but the these early years are going to be tough.
There's no change for 5.5 years
But the paperwork!!!
That was in my thoughts. Right now, that’s the issue.
User avatar
RodneyRegis
Posts: 15652
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am

Re: OFFICIAL Brexit Thread

Post by RodneyRegis »

YOYO wrote: Thu Jan 14, 2021 12:40 am
RodneyRegis wrote: Thu Jan 14, 2021 12:36 am
message #2527204 wrote: Thu Jan 14, 2021 12:33 am
YOYO wrote: Thu Jan 14, 2021 12:31 am
RodneyRegis wrote: Thu Jan 14, 2021 12:29 am

Astonishing. I thought we were going to build the boats overnight.

If only there was some kind of transition period.
Astonishing that people could be so easily fooled. Lack of critical thinking in masses.

No doubt the UK can build the infrastructure to fish extensively your own waters but the these early years are going to be tough.
There's no change for 5.5 years
But the paperwork!!!
That was in my thoughts. Right now, that’s the issue.
"Right now"

At the sake of repeating myself, do you think that guy is sitting down with his biro and filling in forms? Or do you think they will be automated and this is a short-term issue?
piquant
Posts: 9282
Joined: Tue Jul 15, 2014 9:01 am

Re: OFFICIAL Brexit Thread

Post by piquant »

message #2527204 wrote: Wed Jan 13, 2021 11:27 pm
piquant wrote: Wed Jan 13, 2021 10:22 pm
shereblue wrote: Wed Jan 13, 2021 12:19 pm
backrow wrote: Wed Jan 13, 2021 11:26 am However much brexiters are derided by remainers regarding unicorns and believing lies fornthe economic effect of brexit, the exact same level of ignorance is displayed on the remainer side re ‘things will be worse and more expensive for the uk consumer’. There is always this assumption that joe public will simply end up paying more, not realising that there are certain price elasticities and alternatives available for any product or service.
I for one am looking forward to buying more food from outside the Eu that will sometimes be cheaper and just as good quality as the overpriced EU equivalent , ditto cars etc

There may even be a backlash against french cars or Irish beef or french cheese by certain sections of the Uk public, once lockdown ends.
Brits on food eh :roll:

Anti-elitist Brexitists bragging about eating in Michelin starred restaurants one minute and blind to the simple benefits of quality FRESH ingredients on tap.

Always looking for a silly, nationalist edge.

Fact is Brexit is fucki ng fresh food supply chains - which benefit all Europeans.

Brits in choosing "sovereignty" over decent food and close trading relations with their neighbours.
There are literally no downsides to adding hugely to food miles in an age with no concerns around pollutants and climate change. We should all see this as a marvel and wonder at it's conception and inception
And this is the UKs fault? The EU is imposing these conditions.
The EU is responding to the UK leaving, which the UK didn't have to do.

That said there is a problem to increasing food miles, we needed action on the levels we already had whilst in the EU, and that action is now perhaps even harder to take. We shall wait to see if team Brexit has any answers
User avatar
RodneyRegis
Posts: 15652
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am

Re: OFFICIAL Brexit Thread

Post by RodneyRegis »

piquant wrote: Thu Jan 14, 2021 1:42 am
message #2527204 wrote: Wed Jan 13, 2021 11:27 pm
piquant wrote: Wed Jan 13, 2021 10:22 pm
shereblue wrote: Wed Jan 13, 2021 12:19 pm
backrow wrote: Wed Jan 13, 2021 11:26 am However much brexiters are derided by remainers regarding unicorns and believing lies fornthe economic effect of brexit, the exact same level of ignorance is displayed on the remainer side re ‘things will be worse and more expensive for the uk consumer’. There is always this assumption that joe public will simply end up paying more, not realising that there are certain price elasticities and alternatives available for any product or service.
I for one am looking forward to buying more food from outside the Eu that will sometimes be cheaper and just as good quality as the overpriced EU equivalent , ditto cars etc

There may even be a backlash against french cars or Irish beef or french cheese by certain sections of the Uk public, once lockdown ends.
Brits on food eh :roll:

Anti-elitist Brexitists bragging about eating in Michelin starred restaurants one minute and blind to the simple benefits of quality FRESH ingredients on tap.

Always looking for a silly, nationalist edge.

Fact is Brexit is fucki ng fresh food supply chains - which benefit all Europeans.

Brits in choosing "sovereignty" over decent food and close trading relations with their neighbours.
There are literally no downsides to adding hugely to food miles in an age with no concerns around pollutants and climate change. We should all see this as a marvel and wonder at it's conception and inception
And this is the UKs fault? The EU is imposing these conditions.
The EU is responding to the UK leaving, which the UK didn't have to do.

That said there is a problem to increasing food miles, we needed action on the levels we already had whilst in the EU, and that action is now perhaps even harder to take. We shall wait to see if team Brexit has any answers
Imagine how quickly we'll reduce food miles if we starve everybody?
Sawtooth the Beaver
Posts: 774
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am

Re: OFFICIAL Brexit Thread

Post by Sawtooth the Beaver »

Good plan. Starting with NI. Govt got the memo.
User avatar
lemonhead
Posts: 4739
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Location: Yarbles

Re: OFFICIAL Brexit Thread

Post by lemonhead »

Vicky Prentis really should avoid media gigs.
User avatar
YOYO
Posts: 18370
Joined: Sat Feb 04, 2012 7:44 pm

Re: OFFICIAL Brexit Thread

Post by YOYO »

If you want to get first hand idea of the current trading issues encountered in the UK post Brexit this this a good source. Listened to about 30 mins yesterday. Someone tweeted this link.

Interesting a lots of discussion about issues getting goods to NI, and the ROI to. How previously fine supply chain methods no longer good enough to supply JIT requirements.. computer systems not suitable and so on.

Future Relationship with the European Union Committee
https://www.parliamentlive.tv/Event/Ind ... b3cf1c5cce
bimboman
Posts: 67650
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am

Re: OFFICIAL Brexit Thread

Post by bimboman »

“Who will make my latte In Pret”


“But the food miles darling , think of the planet, quinoa salad with avocado please “
User avatar
YOYO
Posts: 18370
Joined: Sat Feb 04, 2012 7:44 pm

Re: OFFICIAL Brexit Thread

Post by YOYO »

Very interesting viewing,

The reoccurring theme is the bureaucracy, paperwork,red tape, manual processes, computer systems not aligned and new costs and overheads involved.
The rules of origin is causing mayhem too.

Is the WA being changed? Because these people seem to think the the EU will need to change the WA to fix some of these issues! The penny dropping that the UK is a 3rd country and that’s how EU trading works for all 3rd countries.

Sounds fairly chaotic.
Last edited by YOYO on Thu Jan 14, 2021 11:02 am, edited 1 time in total.
bimboman
Posts: 67650
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am

Re: OFFICIAL Brexit Thread

Post by bimboman »

YOYO wrote: Thu Jan 14, 2021 10:59 am Very interesting viewing,

The reoccurring theme is the bureaucracy, paperwork,red tape, manual processes, computer systems not aligned and new costs and overheads involved.
The rules of origin is causing mayhem too.

Sounds fairly chaotic.


It really isn’t .....

Technology is great, most of the paper work is now automated by the forwarder from the systems they were already using. Of course Ireland have few concerns about RoO because they just launder the cash not actually make anything.
User avatar
YOYO
Posts: 18370
Joined: Sat Feb 04, 2012 7:44 pm

Re: OFFICIAL Brexit Thread

Post by YOYO »

bimboman wrote: Thu Jan 14, 2021 11:01 am
YOYO wrote: Thu Jan 14, 2021 10:59 am Very interesting viewing,

The reoccurring theme is the bureaucracy, paperwork,red tape, manual processes, computer systems not aligned and new costs and overheads involved.
The rules of origin is causing mayhem too.

Sounds fairly chaotic.


It really isn’t .....

Technology is great, most of the paper work is now automated by the forwarder from the systems they were already using. Of course Ireland have few concerns about RoO because they just launder the cash not actually make anything.
Maybe the the large sophisticated companies like Unilever, but no, it’s not working smoothly at all.
I suggest to watch that recording from yesterday.

No need to be spiteful about the ROI. They did comment how ROI warehousing and distribution companies working for the supermarkets here are doing a great job. They’re managing the impact of the the UK generated issues very well apparently.
Remember the UK has a trading surplus with the ROI. We’re your 5th biggest trading partner in the world. You really don’t want to mess that up now.
backrow
Posts: 22497
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am

Re: OFFICIAL Brexit Thread

Post by backrow »

YOYO wrote: Thu Jan 14, 2021 11:04 am
bimboman wrote: Thu Jan 14, 2021 11:01 am
YOYO wrote: Thu Jan 14, 2021 10:59 am Very interesting viewing,

The reoccurring theme is the bureaucracy, paperwork,red tape, manual processes, computer systems not aligned and new costs and overheads involved.
The rules of origin is causing mayhem too.

Sounds fairly chaotic.


It really isn’t .....

Technology is great, most of the paper work is now automated by the forwarder from the systems they were already using. Of course Ireland have few concerns about RoO because they just launder the cash not actually make anything.
Maybe the the large sophisticated companies like Unilever, but no, it’s not working smoothly at all.
I suggest to watch that recording from yesterday.

No need to be spiteful about the ROI. They did comment how ROI warehousing and distribution companies working for the supermarkets here are doing a great job. They’re managing the impact of the the UK generated issues very well apparently.
Remember the UK has a trading surplus with the ROI. We’re your 5th biggest trading partner in the world. You really don’t want to mess that up now.
And Eu has a trading surplus with the Uk, they don’t want to mess that up either.
As usual, you pick and choose what you consider important
shereblue
Posts: 4402
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am

Re: OFFICIAL Brexit Thread

Post by shereblue »

Gavin Duffy wrote: Wed Jan 13, 2021 11:30 pm
bimboman wrote: Wed Jan 13, 2021 11:12 pm Growing the right products in the right place and the efficiency that brings is a massive benefit to humans and one of the larger factors in how we now feed 7 billion people. By any measure if you include the need for industrial nitrogen it’s also eco friendly.

It’s practically Luddite to argue against the globalisation of food.
Is there no subject you know anything about? You're a true polymoron.
What a beautiful compound word and also fine modern usage :thumbup:
User avatar
YOYO
Posts: 18370
Joined: Sat Feb 04, 2012 7:44 pm

Re: OFFICIAL Brexit Thread

Post by YOYO »

Having listened to a bit more of the parliament tv recording, at 11:23:56 one of the main logistics advisers on the call believes the best way to fix all the trading issues will be for the UK to move to a Theresa May Withdrawal Agreement. :lol:
He doesn’t actually say Theresa May Withdrawal Agreement but what he’s intimating.
Sawtooth the Beaver
Posts: 774
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am

Re: OFFICIAL Brexit Thread

Post by Sawtooth the Beaver »

Post by bimboman » 14 Jan 2021 09:55

“Who will make my latte In Pret”


“But the food miles darling , think of the planet, quinoa salad with avocado please “
Without quinoa salad with avocado would they starve?

It’s practically Luddite to argue against the globalisation of food. :thumbup:
shereblue
Posts: 4402
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am

Re: OFFICIAL Brexit Thread

Post by shereblue »

backrow wrote: Thu Jan 14, 2021 11:13 am
YOYO wrote: Thu Jan 14, 2021 11:04 am
bimboman wrote: Thu Jan 14, 2021 11:01 am
YOYO wrote: Thu Jan 14, 2021 10:59 am Very interesting viewing,

The reoccurring theme is the bureaucracy, paperwork,red tape, manual processes, computer systems not aligned and new costs and overheads involved.
The rules of origin is causing mayhem too.

Sounds fairly chaotic.


It really isn’t .....

Technology is great, most of the paper work is now automated by the forwarder from the systems they were already using. Of course Ireland have few concerns about RoO because they just launder the cash not actually make anything.
Maybe the the large sophisticated companies like Unilever, but no, it’s not working smoothly at all.
I suggest to watch that recording from yesterday.

No need to be spiteful about the ROI. They did comment how ROI warehousing and distribution companies working for the supermarkets here are doing a great job. They’re managing the impact of the the UK generated issues very well apparently.
Remember the UK has a trading surplus with the ROI. We’re your 5th biggest trading partner in the world. You really don’t want to mess that up now.
And Eu has a trading surplus with the Uk, they don’t want to mess that up either.
As usual, you pick and choose what you consider important
Similar export downsides for both Ireland and the UK shocker. That's called a "win" for Brit Brexitists.

Luckily the EU has your back, Irish brothers

https://www.agriland.ie/farming-news/ir ... t-reserve/
User avatar
message #2527204
Posts: 12765
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Location: Ultracrepidaria

Re: OFFICIAL Brexit Thread

Post by message #2527204 »

YOYO wrote: Thu Jan 14, 2021 11:32 am Having listened to a bit more of the parliament tv recording, at 11:23:56 one of the main logistics advisers on the call believes the best way to fix all the trading issues will be for the UK to move to a Theresa May Withdrawal Agreement. :lol:
He doesn’t actually say Theresa May Withdrawal Agreement but what he’s intimating.
Remoaniacs got to remoan
User avatar
YOYO
Posts: 18370
Joined: Sat Feb 04, 2012 7:44 pm

Re: OFFICIAL Brexit Thread

Post by YOYO »

message #2527204 wrote: Thu Jan 14, 2021 11:43 am
YOYO wrote: Thu Jan 14, 2021 11:32 am Having listened to a bit more of the parliament tv recording, at 11:23:56 one of the main logistics advisers on the call believes the best way to fix all the trading issues will be for the UK to move to a Theresa May Withdrawal Agreement. :lol:
He doesn’t actually say Theresa May Withdrawal Agreement but what he’s intimating.
Remoaniacs got to remoan
Is the “Future Relationship with the European Union Committee” made up of remainers?
User avatar
message #2527204
Posts: 12765
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Location: Ultracrepidaria

Re: OFFICIAL Brexit Thread

Post by message #2527204 »

YOYO wrote: Thu Jan 14, 2021 11:48 am
message #2527204 wrote: Thu Jan 14, 2021 11:43 am
YOYO wrote: Thu Jan 14, 2021 11:32 am Having listened to a bit more of the parliament tv recording, at 11:23:56 one of the main logistics advisers on the call believes the best way to fix all the trading issues will be for the UK to move to a Theresa May Withdrawal Agreement. :lol:
He doesn’t actually say Theresa May Withdrawal Agreement but what he’s intimating.
Remoaniacs got to remoan
Is the “Future Relationship with the European Union Committee” made up of remainers?
At least 50/50
User avatar
YOYO
Posts: 18370
Joined: Sat Feb 04, 2012 7:44 pm

Re: OFFICIAL Brexit Thread

Post by YOYO »

These are the 3 advisers to the committee. You can see they are finding post Brexit very tough going.

Stephen Phipson CBE, CEO, Make UK; Andrew Opie, Director, The British Retail Consortium; Ian Wright, CEO, Food and Drink Federation
Sawtooth the Beaver
Posts: 774
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am

Re: OFFICIAL Brexit Thread

Post by Sawtooth the Beaver »

52/48
Post Reply