Official 2021 Post 6 Nations Lions Squad Prediction Thread

All things Rugby
C69

Re: Official 2021 Post 6 Nations Lions Squad Prediction Thread

Post by C69 »

When is the squad announced?
I hope my Scottish friends support the Lions whole heartedly this time :thumbup:
lorcanoworms

Post by lorcanoworms »

eldanielfire wrote: Thu Apr 01, 2021 1:04 pm
Monk Zombie wrote: Thu Apr 01, 2021 12:16 pm
Anonymous 1 wrote: Mon Mar 22, 2021 8:00 pm Alfie Barbeary :thumbup:
I can only shake my head at this silliness

A 21 year old without a test cap mooted for one of the best and exclusive rugby sides about

‘Tis like when we had a debate here the other day of which englander looseforward would make Bok the squad and I was told that Willis is the man.
To be fair, the Lions did have a tradition of an uncapped player being picked.
Thought that was just the barbarians?
redderneck

Post by redderneck »

lorcanoworms wrote: Sun Apr 11, 2021 4:20 pm

A 21 year old without a test cap mooted for one of the best and exclusive rugby sides about

‘Tis like when we had a debate here the other day of which englander looseforward would make Bok the squad and I was told that Willis is the man.
So did I.
LandOTurk

Post by LandOTurk »

redderneck wrote: Sun Apr 11, 2021 4:23 pm

So did I.
Had a tradition. Not been that way for 30 years now. Derek Quinnell got selected on the 72 tour, but capped for Wales in 73. A few others like that too.
Mr. Very Popular

Post by Mr. Very Popular »

redderneck wrote: Sun Apr 11, 2021 4:23 pm

So did I.
Was Greenwood capped before he was picked?
Jeff the Bear

Post by Jeff the Bear »

So, apparently, Gatland asked all his coaches to come up with teams. 20 names were the same, but another 37 different (57 different players discussed).
LandOTurk

Post by LandOTurk »

Jeff the Bear wrote: Wed Apr 14, 2021 12:51 am So, apparently, Gatland asked all his coaches to come up with teams. 20 names were the same, but another 37 different (57 different players discussed).
Like fcuk that is common knowledge. :lol: :lol: :roll:
Jake

Post by Jake »

A few non 6N's bolters I've heard mentioned in despatches from those 'in the know'

Joe Marler (obvs)
David Ribbans
Blair Cowan

All of which I kind of 'get'.
C69

Post by C69 »

When is the squad announced?
DeDoc

Post by DeDoc »

Jake wrote: Wed Apr 14, 2021 2:51 pm A few non 6N's bolters I've heard mentioned in despatches from those 'in the know'

Joe Marler (obvs)
David Ribbans
Blair Cowan

Will Marler travel? I thought he hated being away from his family etc. He's good enough to be in the discussions if he is willing though

Never heard of David Ribbans - who/what is he?

Blair Cowan???? More chance of Blair Witch Project I'd say. There are probably 10 players capable of playing 7 who are currently in and around their national teams who are way ahead of him. Can't see it.
Ulsters Red Hand

Post by Ulsters Red Hand »

Jake wrote: Wed Apr 14, 2021 2:51 pm A few non 6N's bolters I've heard mentioned in despatches from those 'in the know'

Joe Marler (obvs)
David Ribbans
Blair Cowan

Is this the long awaited news which is rocking the world?
DeDoc

Post by DeDoc »

Jeff the Bear wrote: Wed Apr 14, 2021 12:51 am So, apparently, Gatland asked all his coaches to come up with teams. 20 names were the same, but another 37 different (57 different players discussed).

Yeah I heard that too - pretty sure some of the broadsheets had it.

I have a separate thread on the 57, but who do we think the 20 are:

Hogg, Williams, Rees-Zammit, Henshaw, Mako, Wynn Jones, Ken Owens, Furlong, Alun-Wynn, Itoje, Henderson, Beirne, Curry, Tipuric, Faletau

Thats only 14, but I can find decent arguments against most of the others. Porter and James Ryan maybe. Josh Adams? Murray, Youngs and Williams? I know a lot of the English media would be saying Owen Farrell, but can he really be considered a test 10, given how little top flight gametime he has had there recently? And is he strong enough at 12 to keep other challenges at bay? Jonny May was looking cast-iron last year, but not so sure now. Simiarly Billy V.
LandOTurk

Post by LandOTurk »

DeDoc wrote: Wed Apr 14, 2021 3:12 pm

Yeah I heard that too - pretty sure some of the broadsheets had it.

I have a separate thread on the 57, but who do we think the 20 are:

Hogg, Williams, Rees-Zammit, Henshaw, Mako, Wynn Jones, Ken Owens, Furlong, Alun-Wynn, Itoje, Henderson, Beirne, Curry, Tipuric, Faletau

Thats only 14, but I can find decent arguments against most of the others. Porter and James Ryan maybe. Josh Adams? Murray, Youngs and Williams? I know a lot of the English media would be saying Owen Farrell, but can he really be considered a test 10, given how little top flight gametime he has had there recently? And is he strong enough at 12 to keep other challenges at bay? Jonny May was looking cast-iron last year, but not so sure now. Simiarly Billy V.

Point of order. Wyn is one n - Wyn Jones, Alun Wyn.

Nearly agree with your 15 and add Watson, Farrell, Sexton, George, Murray, Foxy and North. That's 22. So maybe Foxy and Mako drop.
Watson
LandOTurk

Post by LandOTurk »

Gats saying more Scots, less English. 6N form is the determinant, but some players do have money in the bank.
DeDoc

Post by DeDoc »

LandOTurk wrote: Wed Apr 14, 2021 7:22 pmHogg, Williams, Rees-Zammit, Henshaw, Mako, Wynn Jones, Ken Owens, Furlong, Alun-Wynn, Itoje, Henderson, Beirne, Curry, Tipuric, Faletau

Nearly agree with your 15 and add Watson, Farrell, Sexton, George, Murray, Foxy and North. That's 22. So maybe Foxy and Mako drop.
Watson
Noted!

I'd expect Watson to make it, but not sure he makes a list of 20. Adams and Rees-Zammitt have to be ahead of him, right? Are there 3 wingers in that 20?
Farrell is a media darling and has Lions experience, but it is the kind of big call Gatland loves (and usually gets right). Imagine hyopthetically you could clone Farrell augment to make a perfect 12. Now restrict 'original' Farrell to consideration as a 10. Where is he? Honestly for me, 5th (at best) in the 6N. And as a 12, most optimistically he's about 3.
Sexton on his form in the England game gets the starter shirt. But given his age and injury propensity, can he be part of that 20, especially with quality competition?
George would be a huge call by Gats, albeit he did it last time. But 2017 England were champions and Sarries were Euro Cup champions and dominant in England, plus more voice in selection. I doubt there are 3 hookers in the 20, and does he leapfrog Cowan-Dickie (and others maybe) to join Owens?
Murray in a similar category - a surprise if he missed out on the squad, but is he in that common 20?
Foxy probably makes the squad, and will (I assume) have lots of Welsh coaching supporting, but if you assume Henshaw nailed on, then you only 'need' 1 other sure selection as a centre (given Henshaw covers both 12 and 13). Tuilagi is a wild-card who complicates the selection mix, as if fit, you have to think he is the kind of gamble they might fancy.
Not sure on North - 6 months ago I'd have said busted flush, but he did well at 13. Still waiting for him to be found out in defence, but give him credit, he has kept me waiting!
LandOTurk

Post by LandOTurk »

DeDoc wrote: Wed Apr 14, 2021 11:07 pm
LandOTurk wrote: Wed Apr 14, 2021 7:22 pmHogg, Williams, Rees-Zammit, Henshaw, Mako, Wynn Jones, Ken Owens, Furlong, Alun-Wynn, Itoje, Henderson, Beirne, Curry, Tipuric, Faletau

Watson
Noted!

I'd expect Watson to make it, but not sure he makes a list of 20. Adams and Rees-Zammitt have to be ahead of him, right? Are there 3 wingers in that 20?
Farrell is a media darling and has Lions experience, but it is the kind of big call Gatland loves (and usually gets right). Imagine hyopthetically you could clone Farrell augment to make a perfect 12. Now restrict 'original' Farrell to consideration as a 10. Where is he? Honestly for me, 5th (at best) in the 6N. And as a 12, most optimistically he's about 3.
Sexton on his form in the England game gets the starter shirt. But given his age and injury propensity, can he be part of that 20, especially with quality competition?
George would be a huge call by Gats, albeit he did it last time. But 2017 England were champions and Sarries were Euro Cup champions and dominant in England, plus more voice in selection. I doubt there are 3 hookers in the 20, and does he leapfrog Cowan-Dickie (and others maybe) to join Owens?
Murray in a similar category - a surprise if he missed out on the squad, but is he in that common 20?
Foxy probably makes the squad, and will (I assume) have lots of Welsh coaching supporting, but if you assume Henshaw nailed on, then you only 'need' 1 other sure selection as a centre (given Henshaw covers both 12 and 13). Tuilagi is a wild-card who complicates the selection mix, as if fit, you have to think he is the kind of gamble they might fancy.
Not sure on North - 6 months ago I'd have said busted flush, but he did well at 13. Still waiting for him to be found out in defence, but give him credit, he has kept me waiting!
Can't disagree with anything you have said. Its pretty much my line of thought too except the piece on Farrell. Gats did say yesterday that some players have money in the bank - that may be directed to Murray, Sexton, Foxy, George, and less so North.

Why does Huw Jones not start for Scotland. Is it his defence? Looks great going forward. Him and Henshaw would be a tremendous partnership.
LandOTurk

Post by LandOTurk »

My slightly alternative Lions XV

Hogg
Williams
Huw Jones
Henshaw
Watson
Sexton
Youngs
W Jones
Owens
Furlong
AWJ (captain)
Gray
Beirne
Watson
Faletau
LandOTurk

Post by LandOTurk »

LandOTurk wrote: Thu Apr 15, 2021 5:28 am My slightly alternative Lions XV

Hogg
Williams
Huw Jones
Henshaw
Watson
Sexton
Youngs
W Jones
Owens
Furlong
AWJ (captain)
Gray
Beirne
Watson
Faletau
4 Scots, 5 Welsh, 2 English, 4 Irish
MrDominator

Post by MrDominator »

Interesting that POC is calling for Farrell as captain.

He's packed down with AWJ on, what, two Lions tours? Clearly doesn't rate him as a leader
DeDoc

Post by DeDoc »

MrDominator wrote: Thu Apr 15, 2021 8:36 pm Interesting that POC is calling for Farrell as captain.

He's packed down with AWJ on, what, two Lions tours? Clearly doesn't rate him as a leader
Loathe to criticise POC, but it seems a mad call. Second row is arguably the most competitive area of the team, and AWJ would be (I'd think) a unanimous pick. Wales were the best of the 6N this year - albeit I accept the point that there isn't a huge amount between all 4 teams.

Farrell is playing badly, isn't the best kicker, isn't the the best 10, isn't the best 12 and if truth be told has to be under pressure to make the squad if picked on this 6N form, given how other 10s and 12s are playing.
Yer Man

Post by Yer Man »

DeDoc wrote: Wed Apr 14, 2021 3:06 pm

Joe Marler (obvs)
David Ribbans
Blair Cowan

Will Marler travel? I thought he hated being away from his family etc. He's good enough to be in the discussions if he is willing though

Never heard of David Ribbans - who/what is he?

Blair Cowan???? More chance of Blair Witch Project I'd say. There are probably 10 players capable of playing 7 who are currently in and around their national teams who are way ahead of him. Can't see it.
He's a Saffer lock playing at Northampton.

'kin hell :thumbdown:
Yer Man

Post by Yer Man »

DeDoc wrote: Thu Apr 15, 2021 10:18 pm
MrDominator wrote: Thu Apr 15, 2021 8:36 pm Interesting that POC is calling for Farrell as captain.

Loathe to criticise POC, but it seems a mad call. Second row is arguably the most competitive area of the team, and AWJ would be (I'd think) a unanimous pick. Wales were the best of the 6N this year - albeit I accept the point that there isn't a huge amount between all 4 teams.

Farrell is playing badly, isn't the best kicker, isn't the the best 10, isn't the best 12 and if truth be told has to be under pressure to make the squad if picked on this 6N form, given how other 10s and 12s are playing.
POC's just trying to earn some Brownie points with Daddy
Jeff the Bear

Post by Jeff the Bear »

I think the real driver behind POC's comments is that AWJ is now overshadowing him as the best NH lock of his generation, and that a successful Lions captaincy would cement it.
kiwigreg369

Post by kiwigreg369 »

I’m very biased so I think they should consider Alex Joseph Dombrandt.

And whilst I’m at it Marcus Smith.

Yes - they’re both Harlequins players. Yes- I only really watch Quinn’s premiership games...
lilyw

Post by lilyw »

LandOTurk wrote: Thu Apr 15, 2021 5:28 am My slightly alternative Lions XV

Hogg
Williams
Huw Jones
Henshaw
Watson
Sexton
Youngs
W Jones
Owens
Furlong
AWJ (captain)
Gray
Beirne
Watson
Faletau
Who needs lightning fast play anyway? Far better to just go carefully from lineout to lineout.
LandOTurk

Post by LandOTurk »

Yer Man wrote: Thu Apr 15, 2021 10:23 pm

With the Barbarians, didnt POC call out the whole team at half-time and say the only one who is going for it is Farrell. Probably had some man love from the moment he set his eyes on him.
Rugby2023

Re: Official 2021 Pot 6 Nations Lions Squad Prediction Thread

Post by Rugby2023 »

Anyone picking Duhan van der Merwe?

His 6N stats were apparently off the charts, so I expect Townsend might lobby for his selection.
DragsterDriver

Post by DragsterDriver »

I wish people would scrub mako. Can’t scrum.
Margin_Walker

Post by Margin_Walker »

DragsterDriver wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 6:27 am I wish people would scrub mako. Can’t scrum.
Yeah, it's an odd one. Mentioned on another thread that it's Marler or no one for me if we are talking English looseheads. Especially against a strong SA set piece. Mako is great in his day around the park (and may well end up going), but I'd worry if he were our starting LH in a test.
blindcider

Post by blindcider »

Margin_Walker wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 7:09 am
DragsterDriver wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 6:27 am I wish people would scrub mako. Can’t scrum.
Yeah, it's an odd one. Mentioned on another thread that it's Marler or no one for me if we are talking English looseheads. Especially against a strong SA set piece. Mako is great in his day around the park (and may well end up going), but I'd worry if he were our starting LH in a test.
I think Mako travels as a game-changing sub rather than starter IMO. Sinckler has a chance at making the starting pack as do both English hookers IMO. Personally I think George is a bit pedestrian but provides a lot of power at 2 and is popular with Gatland from the last tour. I really rate LCD and think he's the most exciting hooker on these islands but his lack of starting game time for England may go against him in selection terms
Margin_Walker

Post by Margin_Walker »

Yeah, wouldn't be surprised at all to see Mako on the plane. Would absolutely take LCD over George too, but I expect it will be the other way round if an English hooker is going.

Wing is always an interesting one for me. You could probably list 5-10 players who could do a decent job there, so will be interesting to see who ends up starting tests there.
Frodder

Re: Official 2021 Pot 6 Nations Lions Squad Prediction Thread

Post by Frodder »

Rugby2023 wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 6:22 am Anyone picking Duhan van der Merwe?

His 6N stats were apparently off the charts, so I expect Townsend might lobby for his selection.
A Saffa playing his rugby in England.
DragsterDriver

Post by DragsterDriver »

blindcider wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 8:09 am
I think Mako travels as a game-changing sub rather than starter IMO. Sinckler has a chance at making the starting pack as do both English hookers IMO. Personally I think George is a bit pedestrian but provides a lot of power at 2 and is popular with Gatland from the last tour. I really rate LCD and think he's the most exciting hooker on these islands but his lack of starting game time for England may go against him in selection terms
It’s as if nobody’s watched the RWC :o

Healy
Wyn Jones
Marler

I don’t think Gatland will feel he can trust Marler.
DeDoc

Post by DeDoc »

If you were picking purely on scrum, you'd probably go Healy or Sutherland (discounting Marler here on basis of not playing 6N and may not be available for selection). Healy a shadow of his former self in loose play though, where Mako is standout. Wynn Jones the best compromise overall and a nailed on squad pick you have to think.

The national dynamic will be interesting though. Other than Hogg is there any Scot you can say is a nailed on squad selection? With Townsend and Tandy on board, you have to expect a few marginal calls to go their way. That could see someone like Sutherland in, and then it becomes a 'do we want X or Y' in the last call
2019 Mako was locked in, but lots stacked against him this year - own form not at the same level, Sarries not playing real rugby, England having a poor year etc
MrDominator

Post by MrDominator »

To be fair, POC was also calling for Farrell as captain before he joined up with Ireland.

I wonder if POC's memory of AWJ being beasted the length and breadth of Durban in the 1st Test '09 has anything to do with it. As I recall, a certain beefy Englishman by the name of Shaw had to be resurrected for the remainder of the series at the age of 39 to atone for the Welshman's failures.
Frodder

Post by Frodder »

MrDominator wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 1:40 pm

To be fair, POC was also calling for Farrell as captain before he joined up with Ireland.

I wonder if POC's memory of AWJ being beasted the length and breadth of Durban in the 1st Test '09 has anything to do with it. As I recall, a certain beefy Englishman by the name of Shaw had to be resurrected for the remainder of the series at the age of 39 to atone for the Welshman's failures.
It's either that or POC is jealous of AWJ's far superior international record
MrDominator

Post by MrDominator »

Another possibility... I remember that AWJ allegedly let himself down rather badly in a Pretoria nightclub after the 2nd Test. Ryan Vrede mentioned it on Keo at the time and said the Welshman would be thoroughly embarrassed in the morning

Perhaps POC worries AWJ isn't the right sort to be a Lions captain
Frodder

Post by Frodder »

MrDominator wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 2:32 pm Another possibility... I remember that AWJ allegedly let himself down rather badly in a Pretoria nightclub after the 2nd Test. Ryan Vrede mentioned it on Keo at the time and said the Welshman would be thoroughly embarrassed in the morning

POC was an ordinary Lion though who didn't achieve much so it doesn't really matter
MrDominator

Post by MrDominator »

Frodder wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 2:51 pm
MrDominator wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 2:32 pm Another possibility... I remember that AWJ allegedly let himself down rather badly in a Pretoria nightclub after the 2nd Test. Ryan Vrede mentioned it on Keo at the time and said the Welshman would be thoroughly embarrassed in the morning

POC was an ordinary Lion though who didn't achieve much so it doesn't really matter
Can't disagree with that. A no-show in '05 and gave Vickery no scrummaging support on the TH side in '09.

Sadly POC just lacked the necessary beef at the very highest level. Not quite the highest genetic grade, I think it's fair to say