Chicago cop shoots 13 year old with hands up

All things Rugby
Flametop

Re: Chicago cop shoots 13 year old with hands up

Post by Flametop »

Running away from the cops is never a good idea, particularly armed ones, particularly if you are also armed.
The kid had plenty of opportunities to drop the gun in plain sight running down the alley. The longer he refused to obey the cop, the more of a threat to the cop’s life he became.

Perhaps the cop should have shouted “freeze” “don’t turn around.. slowly let me see your hands” but hindsight is 20-20.
Jensrsa

Post by Jensrsa »

Flametop wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 5:04 pm Running away from the cops is never a good idea, particularly armed ones, particularly if you are also armed.
The kid had plenty of opportunities to drop the gun in plain sight running down the alley. The longer he refused to obey the cop, the more of a threat to the cop’s life he became.

Perhaps the cop should have shouted “freeze” “don’t turn around.. slowly let me see your hands” but hindsight is 20-20.
Apparently the 21 year old youth with him handed him the gun when the cops showed up (lesser crime for a kid?). A confluence of events that lead to a tragedy
Flametop

Post by Flametop »

Jensrsa wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 5:10 pm
Flametop wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 5:04 pm Running away from the cops is never a good idea, particularly armed ones, particularly if you are also armed.

Apparently the 21 year old youth with him handed him the gun when the cops showed up. A confluence of events that lead to a tragedy
Yep. Pretty sad. Anybody using a child to aid and abet crime should have the book thrown at them.
towny

Post by towny »

jdogscoop wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 4:17 pm
towny wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 4:15 pm
jdogscoop wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 3:49 pm Having seen a Victoria Police officer wind himself up into a frenzy against my (fellow white) mate for daring to question his direction here at the Melbourne Cup before I dragged said mate away it is no stretch at all for me to imagine one shooting a wayward kid.

Having said cop yell at me " yeah you should take him away!" was hugely unprofessional, IMHO.
Australian cops are cnuts. What kind of bloke becomes a cop that isn't a cnut? Why else would you be one?
Too simplistic towny. One of my high school mates is a cop over in Perth. He's a good cvnt and you are lucky to have him. Played for my home town rep rugby team too, noted good cvnt.
The Perth guys seem okay. Sadly I knew a good bloke that joined the cops there too. I’ll give them a pass... but I’ve got my eye on them.
LandOTurk

Post by LandOTurk »

Or, like you know, training ......
Floppykid

Post by Floppykid »

Horrible all round.
Short Man Syndrome

Post by Short Man Syndrome »

This is pretty chilling, about 11 mins in...

https://youtu.be/Wf4cea5oObY
shanky

Post by shanky »

jdogscoop wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 3:49 pm Having seen a Victoria Police officer wind himself up into a frenzy against my (fellow white) mate for daring to question his direction here at the Melbourne Cup before I dragged said mate away it is no stretch at all for me to imagine one shooting a wayward kid.

Having said cop yell at me " yeah you should take him away!" was hugely unprofessional, IMHO.
Australian cops are cnuts. What kind of bloke becomes a cop that isn't a cnut? Why else would you be one?
Look, so you got busted drunk-shitting in the Kings Park that time.

Get over it man, it was ages ago.
farmerdave

Post by farmerdave »

Kid dropped the gun behind the fence and then turned to face the officer. It was the turning and facing that in my opinion got him killed as despite the hands up he didn't appear to me to be submissive ( totally subjective).
Also failed to realize the chasing cop could actually shoot. 1 shot.
koroke hangareka

Post by koroke hangareka »

LandOTurk wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 9:31 pm

Yeah, if cops are going to chase armed villains down dark alleys, you'd expect them to know exactly how they're going to approach it and how to react, however the situation develops.
Ted.

Post by Ted. »

Jensrsa wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 4:28 pm
Flametop wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 4:21 pm
Jensrsa wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 4:15 pm
Flametop wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 4:11 pm
Jensrsa wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 4:11 pm Did you?
Yep. Did you?
Yep. Hands in the air, making no threatening moves. A fraction of a second wait by the cop to sus out the situation and the kid would have been alive
:lol:

Look at any match day thread.
Nige and Wayne get multiple angles of slow motion replay to take their time to deliberate over what happened in a split second and we can’t even agree that they get their decisions correct... but you’re expecting an officer who has witnessed a kid holding a gun running away (after reports of hearing shots fired in the neighbourhood); to make a split second decision in a dark alley that could potentially leave himself dead in the same split second.
I thought he showed considerable restraint only firing once.
He is a 34-year-old military veteran who joined the [police] force in 2015. And was wearing protective gear. Yes, he should have made a better decision than shooting immediately after telling the kid to "drop it". At the very least give him time to comply with the order or to see that he wasn't carrying a gun
Precisely. He would, or bloody well should, have had specific and continuing training in identifying friend, foe of non-combatant. If you are unsure, you do not put yourself or the other person and potentially innocent bystanders in jeopardy.

No it's not easy, but nor should it be treated as a shooting gallery.
Clogs

Post by Clogs »

This. I know 2 detectives. Both capital C's. Almost as bad as an Australian politician. Almost...
Harveys

Post by Harveys »

koroke hangareka wrote: Sat Apr 17, 2021 5:26 am

Yeah, if cops are going to chase armed villains down dark alleys, you'd expect them to know exactly how they're going to approach it and how to react, however the situation develops.
Seems self-evident how they approach and react in a variety of situations.
That was a unfortunate though not unsurprising unfolding of events, hardly comparable to GF though. fudge being a cop in the US with the gun culture there.
piquant

Post by piquant »

koroke hangareka wrote: Sat Apr 17, 2021 5:26 am

Quite.

The problem here is the kid being out and about armed. It's not ideal if the kid was being shouted at to show his hands and was shoot showing his hands, but unless the evidence of a gun has all been fabricated this one isn't such a bad shooting. Albeit it's devastating for it being a kid, and unhelpful in terms of adding fuel to the fire
jdogscoop

Post by jdogscoop »

Very tough gig on five figures, maybe a buck with overtime.

You would have to be very keen.
Jerome Manning

Post by Jerome Manning »

Drongo kids should be shot. They grow into drongo adults.
DOB

Post by DOB »

Jerome Manning wrote: Sat Apr 17, 2021 8:51 pm Drongo kids should be shot. They grow into drongo adults.
How else do we stop them becoming drongo cops?
Sandstorm

Post by Sandstorm »

:P
DOB wrote: Sat Apr 17, 2021 8:53 pm
Jerome Manning wrote: Sat Apr 17, 2021 8:51 pm Drongo kids should be shot. They grow into drongo adults.
How else do we stop them becoming drongo cops?
Get them into politics.
somer

Post by somer »

No doubt you'd be desperately scrambling for the cops in any number of circumstances.
If only they could flag you for the hypocritical cnut you are and tell you to piss off.
somer

Post by somer »

What’s the end game of this War on Cops?
The next cop asked to chase a gun wielder into a dodgy neighborhood will refuse.
They’d be mad to attend any case involving guns and colored people.
If it’s the wish of colored neighborhoods to become cop-free then that wish is becoming true.
There’s an obvious flaw - Poor Colored people are statistically far more likely to be assaulted and murdered by each other rather than the cops.
Cop-caused deaths are numerically minuscule in the grand scheme of things, but I guess the faux moral superiority that comes from targeting cops is more important than the lives and welfare of poor people in bad neighborhoods.
Enzedder
Location: End of the road, turn right and first house on the left

Post by Enzedder »

Absolutely - we can criticise until we're blue in the face but very very few of us would put ourselves into that position.

A bit like rugby refs really. :P
Sandstorm

Post by Sandstorm »

somer wrote: Sat Apr 17, 2021 10:43 pm What’s the end game of this War on Cops?
The next cop asked to chase a gun wielder into a dodgy neighborhood will refuse.
If it’s the wish of colored neighborhoods to become cop-free then that wish is becoming true.
There’s an obvious flaw - Poor Colored people are statistically far more likely to be assaulted and murdered by each other rather than the cops.
Cop-caused deaths are numerically minuscule in the grand scheme of things, but I guess the faux moral superiority that comes from targeting cops is more important than the lives and welfare of poor people in bad neighborhoods.
Cop killings are big news to activists because they usually involve a massive payout to the victim’s family by the city. Gangster killing gangster not so much.
fatcat

Post by fatcat »

There’s long been a fierce debate about the effect of Black Lives Matter protests on the lethal use of force by police. A new study, one of the first to make a rigorous academic attempt to answer that question, found that the protests have had a notable impact on police killings. For every 4,000 people who participated in a Black Lives Matter protest between 2014 and 2019, police killed one less person.

Travis Campbell, a PhD student in economics at the University of Massachusetts Amherst, released his preliminary findings on the Social Science Research network as a preprint, meaning the study has yet to receive a formal peer review.

While Campbell’s research does not encompass the events of summer 2020, George Floyd’s killing and the subsequent wave of protests became potentially the largest movement in American history, the sudden growth of which relied on a wave of anger and grief at the police homicides Americans are continually greeted with on the news. Opinion columnists, activists, lawmakers, and even the president of the United States (current and former) have weighed in on these protests and what the appropriate policy changes should be. But first, it’s important to grapple with how the protests have already changed policing.

From 2014 to 2019, Campbell tracked more than 1,600 BLM protests across the country, largely in bigger cities, with nearly 350,000 protesters. His main finding is a 15 to 20 percent reduction in lethal use of force by police officers — roughly 300 fewer police homicides — in census places that saw BLM protests.

Campbell’s research also indicates that these protests correlate with a 10 percent increase in murders in the areas that saw BLM protests. That means from 2014 to 2019, there were somewhere between 1,000 and 6,000 more homicides than would have been expected if places with protests were on the same trend as places that did not have protests. Campbell’s research does not include the effects of last summer’s historic wave of protests because researchers do not yet have all the relevant data.

It’s worth noting that Campbell didn’t subject the homicide findings to the same battery of statistical tests as he did the police killings since they were not the main focus of his research. (He intends to do more research on how these protests affected crime rates.) But his research on homicides aligns with other evidence. Omar Wasow, a professor at Princeton University who has done seminal research on the effect of protests, told Vox that the results are “entirely plausible” and “not surprising,” considering existing protest research.

The reasons for this rise in murders are not fully known, but one possible explanation is that police morale drops following scrutiny, leading officers to reduce their efforts and thereby emboldening criminals. Another is that members of the public voluntarily withdraw from engagements with the police after a police homicide delegitimizes the justice system in their eyes. (More on this below.)

Protests can do a lot. They can raise awareness, create solidarity or undermine existing relationships, change public opinion, strengthen or weaken institutions, and affect the outcome of elections. But, according to this study, BLM protests also produce their intended effect.
A few notes on methodology

It’s important to understand how Campbell conducted his research and the potential pitfalls when trying to quantify and isolate how protests can affect policy. Researchers who study crime, police lethal force, and protests are hampered by something out of their control: The underlying data can be faulty.

For lethal force data, there’s no federal database to turn to. Instead, Campbell and other researchers have to rely on nonprofit- and media-collected data, which has some drawbacks. This means Campbell may be missing some police homicides in his research.

Harvard University sociologist Joscha Legewie told Scientific American that the study’s design is “‘very well suited’ for the kind of data Campbell” is looking at.

Additionally, there could be something systematically different about the places that have BLM protests that make them more poised for increased police accountability than places without. For instance, a new mayor or district attorney who championed police reform gets elected and then protest movements mobilize to ensure their desired reforms are implemented.

To account for this problem, Campbell controls for various factors — from the localities’ unemployment rate to the Democratic vote share in the 2008 presidential election — to try to make sure he is isolating the effect of BLM protests on police homicides and other murders. But, unless you’re able to conduct a randomized controlled trial (which is impossible for studies like these), there could always be hidden variables that researchers are unable to account for.

To try to further prove his findings are sound, Campbell also shows that before 2014 there were almost parallel trends of police homicides in both the places that would go on to see protests and places that wouldn’t. That suggests that what changed in 2014 and beyond — regarding both the reduction in police homicides and the increase in murder — is likely the effect of the BLM protests, not some other hidden variable.

Campbell notes that “BLM did not transform into the protests movement it is known as today until the police killings of Eric Garner in New York City and Michael Brown in Ferguson, MO in 2014,” which is why he begins his research with that year.
It's left wingers. It's always left wingers.

Eg. A poster on here tried telling us last year that his black friends lived their daily lives fearful that they'd be shot by the police. Now anyone with any sense of what's going on would know that this would be completely irrational, and basically f**king stupid. However, this liberal, panty-wetting complete jessie insisted that his friends' fears were credible and real and based on their real life lived experience, personal truths, <insert some other tosspot euphemism to denote an inability to look straight up facts in the face>. What the f**k can you do in a society packed with so many jelly-livered amoebas who don't know the first thing about personal responsibility?
Ali's Choice

Post by Ali's Choice »

When did fatcat assume this try-hard, far-right, lunatic tough guy persona?
Kiwias

Post by Kiwias »

fatcat wrote: Sun Apr 18, 2021 12:19 am

Eg. A poster on here tried telling us last year that his black friends lived their daily lives fearful that they'd be shot by the police. Now anyone with any sense of what's going on would know that this would be completely irrational, and basically f**king stupid. However, this liberal, panty-wetting complete jessie insisted that his friends' fears were credible and real and based on their real life lived experience, personal truths, <insert some other tosspot euphemism to denote an inability to look straight up facts in the face>. What the f**k can you do in a society packed with so many jelly-livered amoebas who don't know the first thing about personal responsibility?
Was the black lieutenant, in uniform, who was stopped, pepper-sprayed, and handcuffed after being beaten (remember he said he was scared to get out of his car and the cop told him he should be scared) was just another "liberal, panty-wetting complete jessie" as you so delicately described someone talking about blacks in America living in fear of being shot by the police?
Short Man Syndrome

Fatcat’s whole shtick appears to be based around the fact that black people should count themselves lucky that he’s not the cop pulling them over, he’d REALLY give them something to be scared about.
somer

Post by somer »

Kiwias wrote: Sun Apr 18, 2021 12:54 am

Was the black lieutenant, in uniform, who was stopped, pepper-sprayed, and handcuffed after being beaten (remember he said he was scared to get out of his car and the cop told him he should be scared) was just another "liberal, panty-wetting complete jessie" as you so delicately described someone talking about blacks in America living in fear of being shot by the police?
You're statistically more likely to be killed by Police as a male rather than as a black.
Should all males tremble in fear of the Police?
Where's the men's lives matter movement?
You can use statistics and identity politics to formulate any bleeding heart agenda that you care to.
Kiwias

Post by Kiwias »

somer wrote: Sun Apr 18, 2021 1:28 am

You're statistically more likely to be killed by Police as a male rather than as a black.
You can use statistics and identity politics to formulate any bleeding heart agenda that you care to.
I asked about a specific case and you come back with that waffling garbage.
fatcat

Post by fatcat »

Was this the guy who ignored police calls to pull over and continued to drive on for a mile and then refused to put his hands outside the door and then refused to get out of the car?

Regardless, I wasn't referring to him. He's a victim of the liberal , panty-wetting complete jessies.
Short Man Syndrome

fatcat wrote: Sun Apr 18, 2021 1:45 am

Was this the guy who ignored police calls to pull over and continued to drive on for a mile and then refused to put his hands outside the door and then refused to get out of the car?

Regardless, I wasn't referring to him. He's a victim of the liberal , panty-wetting complete jessies.
God, you’re so hard, Fatcat.
somer

Post by somer »

Kiwias wrote: Sun Apr 18, 2021 1:32 am

I'll dumb it down for you.
You're using a specific case to support the claim that blacks should reasonably live in fear of the Police because they're black.
In the case that you mention, the victim is also male and men are more likely to be killed by Police, therefore is it reasonable for men to live in fear of the Police because they're male?
I'd argue that it's just as meaningless and nonsensical to claim Police pick on blacks as it is to claim Police pick on males.
Pat the Ex Mat

Post by Pat the Ex Mat »

somer wrote: Sun Apr 18, 2021 2:08 am therefore is it reasonable for men to live in fear of the Police because they're male?
Show me on the doll where the bad man touched you :nod:
Ted.

Post by Ted. »

What's the end game of the apparent militarisation of cops and their war on the public they are sworn to protect?
Why do cops feels the need to chase people into risky situation rather than de-escalate or use other means?
Why do cops feels the need to confront people with guns. Do they perhaps feel it is a contest, them against criminal?
Why do cops feel the need to eschew policing and detective work in favour of violent confrontation?
Why do some people have a blind spot when it comes to guns, cops, public good and criminals?
Why oh why?
Ted.

Post by Ted. »

Short Man Syndrome wrote: Sun Apr 18, 2021 1:08 am Fatcat’s whole shtick appears to be based around the fact that black people should count themselves lucky that he’s not the cop pulling them over, he’d REALLY give them something to be scared about.
Fatcat's shtick also includes a large measure of the "look at me, I'm the po faced, no nonsense tough guy ya better not tangle with".

Gosh, he might be right.
Pat the Ex Mat

Post by Pat the Ex Mat »

Ted. wrote: Sun Apr 18, 2021 2:21 am
Why do cops feels the need to chase people into risky situation rather than de-escalate or use other means?
Why do cops feels the need to confront people with guns. Do they perhaps feel it is a contest, them against criminal?
Why do cops feel the need to eschew policing and detective work in favour of violent confrontation?
Why do some people have a blind spot when it comes to guns, cops, public good and criminals?
Why oh why?
A lot of this is simply the result of thousands of veterans getting jobs as police.

To say PTSD isn't a factor would be a shock.

I've been on the end of a vet sheriff turning up to a legal gun range shoot on private property in Virginia of all places.

It was terrifying - the cop was talking about not hearing as many rounds go off since Mosul :shock:

But according to my friends, perfectly "normal" :|
somer

Post by somer »

Ted. wrote: Sun Apr 18, 2021 2:21 am
What's the end game of the apparent militarisation of cops and their war on the public they are sworn to protect?
Why oh why?
There's a good argument that American society is over militarised in general and Police are caught in this web too.
Laying the blame solely on Police is scape goating though and claiming that it's racially motivated is straight out political shit stirring.
Kiwias

Post by Kiwias »

fatcat wrote: Sun Apr 18, 2021 1:45 am

Yes, the guy who did not wish to stop on a dark country road, so put his hazard lamps on and drove well under the speed limit till he found a well-lit petrol station, who did show his hands as requested by two police with guns drawn and both yelling at him, not asking him for ID and registration, and who did not want to get out of the car for vaild reasons, proven valid by the way he was treated.

He is a active duty military lieutenant, FFS. why did they not treat him with respect?
Kiwias

Post by Kiwias »

somer wrote: Sun Apr 18, 2021 2:08 am

You're using a specific case to support the claim that blacks should reasonably live in fear of the Police because they're black.
In the case that you mention, the victim is also male and men are more likely to be killed by Police, therefore is it reasonable for men to live in fear of the Police because they're male?
I'd argue that it's just as meaningless and nonsensical to claim Police pick on blacks as it is to claim Police pick on males.
So you are arguing that the lieutenant would have been treated the same had he been white? I'll have some of what your having.
shanky

Post by shanky »

There isn’t an argument in the world that would convince me that a 17-year old black boy is equally as safe from being accidentally shot by cops, as a white boy.

There’s a reason why black parents specifically coach their kids how to behave if pulled over.
somer

Post by somer »

Kiwias wrote: Sun Apr 18, 2021 3:25 am
somer wrote: Sun Apr 18, 2021 2:08 am

So you are arguing that the lieutenant would have been treated the same had he been white? I'll have some of what your having.
That's right, plenty of white people have had nasty run ins with the Police too. There's no doubt that a small minority of Police are straight up arseholes.
The difference is that I haven't extrapolated such incidences into the wild generalisation that American cops are all raving racists waiting to pounce on passing innocent blacks.
If you want what I'm having it's called not buying into loony racial conspiracy theories.