Crusaders vs Blues: MATCH THREAD: Sunday 25th April

All things Rugby
Kiwias

Re: Crusaders vs Blues: MATCH THREAD: Sunday 25th April

Post by Kiwias »

A very good team -- I like the stability from keeping the same midfield.
mrbrownstone

Post by mrbrownstone »

Predictable team really. Very relieved that Leicester is fit & ready to go.

Only surprise is seeing Havili back in the starting side after Sanders performed so well last week. I hope he has had a rev-up, as nothing I've seen from him so far suggests he is SR quality.

On that point, our ability to return to early-season form hinges on our breakdown work. One of the common denominators of our last three performance has been that we've lost the crucial 'rucks won' statistic. It is only fine margins, as most teams at this level expect 90+%, but it's enough.

The last two weeks, Ardie Savea and Lachlan Boshier have absolutely had their way with our breakdown. They've done whatever they pleased and we were powerless to stop them. Now, we're coming up against arguably the form 7 in the competition in Papalii. If Havili, Grace, and Blackadder don't lift their breakdown work, it will be the same result.

I hope that being at home in front of a big crowd is the boost we need, but I expect this to be a tight tussle for at least 60 minutes, if not the full 80. The Blues simply have too much on the line to just rollover. Pending tonights' result, it could be a must-win for them.
Ali's Choice

Post by Ali's Choice »

Will anyone mind if from now on I start referring to Sione Havili as White Harmon'?
Kiwias

Post by Kiwias »

mrbrownstone wrote: Fri Apr 23, 2021 1:24 am Predictable team really. Very relieved that Leicester is fit & ready to go.

Only surprise is seeing Havili back in the starting side after Sanders performed so well last week. I hope he has had a rev-up, as nothing I've seen from him so far suggests he is SR quality.

On that point, our ability to return to early-season form hinges on our breakdown work. One of the common denominators of our last three performance has been that we've lost the crucial 'rucks won' statistic. It is only fine margins, as most teams at this level expect 90+%, but it's enough.

The last two weeks, Ardie Savea and Lachlan Boshier have absolutely had their way with our breakdown. They've done whatever they pleased and we were powerless to stop them. Now, we're coming up against arguably the form 7 in the competition in Papalii. If Havili, Grace, and Blackadder don't lift their breakdown work, it will be the same result.

I hope that being at home in front of a big crowd is the boost we need, but I expect this to be a tight tussle for at least 60 minutes, if not the full 80. The Blues simply have too much on the line to just rollover. Pending tonights' result, it could be a must-win for them.
I would prefer having Sanders at 7 after his work last week. The White Harmon has never really been convincing and the sad thing is that I don't know he has the potential to improve significantly, unlike Sanders.
JPNZ

Post by JPNZ »

Unlike last weeks game where I had a gut feeling we wouldn't win in Hamilton, this week mocker gods be damned. Blues are on the slide, Crusaders playing in front of a full house and with the goal of a home final next week. Robertson to show his true coaching class.

Crusaders at home by 15+ :thumbup:
booji boy

Post by booji boy »

JPNZ wrote: Fri Apr 23, 2021 3:12 am Unlike last weeks game where I had a gut feeling we wouldn't win in Hamilton, this week mocker gods be damned. Blues are on the slide, Crusaders playing in front of a full house and with the goal of a home final next week. Robertson to show his true coaching class.

Crusaders at home by 15+ :thumbup:
Agreed. :(
JPNZ

Post by JPNZ »

Blues named:

15 Stephen Perofeta,
14 Mark Telea,
13 Rieko Ioane, CC
12 Tanelu Tele'a
11 Caleb Clarke,
10 Harry Plummer,
9 Jonathan Ruru;
8 Hoskins Sotutu,
7 Dalton Papalii, CC
6 Blake Gibson,
5 Sam Darry,
4 Gerrad Cowley Tuioti,
3 Nepo Laulala,
2 Kurt Eklund,
1 Karl Tu'inukuafe.

Reserves: 16 Sione Vikena*, 17 Marcel Reneta, 18 Ofa Tuungafasi, 19 Taine Plumtree*, 20 Akira Ioane, 21 Finlay Christe, 22 Otere Black, 23 AJ Lam.
Last edited by JPNZ on Fri Apr 23, 2021 3:39 am, edited 1 time in total.
JPNZ

Post by JPNZ »

Big Pat and Robinson are gone, and two debutants on the bench.
Rieko Ioane and Dalton Papalii will co-captain the Blues in their decisive clash against the Crusaders in Christchurch on Sunday.

With regular Blues skipper Patrick Tuipulotu (neck/shoulder) and his replacement Tom Robinson (head knock) absent, Blues coach Leon MacDonald has opted for Ioane, his star centre, and Papalii, his in-form loose forward, in a dual captaincy model.

The Blues need to beat the defending champions to boost their hopes of making the Super Rugby Aotearoa final, which could end if they lose and the Chiefs beat the Hurricanes with a bonus point in Hamilton on Friday night.
Last edited by JPNZ on Fri Apr 23, 2021 3:45 am, edited 2 times in total.
deverix

Post by deverix »

Ali's Choice wrote: Fri Apr 23, 2021 1:55 am Will anyone mind if from now on I start referring to Sione Havili as White Harmon'?
The irony here is that Harmon has been brilliant for the Highlanders in 2021.. in hindsight clearly a significant loss to the Crusaders.. who's depth at 7 is ridiculously weak right now.
Ali's Choice

Post by Ali's Choice »

deverix wrote: Fri Apr 23, 2021 3:38 am
Ali's Choice wrote: Fri Apr 23, 2021 1:55 am Will anyone mind if from now on I start referring to Sione Havili as White Harmon'?
The irony here is that Harmon has been brilliant for the Highlanders in 2021.. in hindsight clearly a significant loss to the Crusaders.. who's depth at 7 is ridiculously weak right now.
I think "brilliant" is over-egging his form quite a bit.
mrbrownstone

Post by mrbrownstone »

Reiko Ioane a captain :lol: :lol:

Good to see Kurt 'Undertaker' Eklund back. I wonder if he has moved on from suplexes to practicing his piledrivers during his time off.

Black to the bench is an interesting move.
mrbrownstone

Post by mrbrownstone »

Surely, whatever happens for the remainder of the season, signing a couple of quality loosies must be the Crusaders number one recruitment goal?

All Black Dillon Hunt has barely featured for the Blues this season, I'd welcome him with open arms. Gibson too would be a significant improvement on Havili and has seen bugger-all game time this year.

Boshier is second choice when Cane is fit - could we lure him with a guaranteed starting spot? Karpik even further down the pecking order at the Chiefs, I'd take him. Even Lentjies I rate pretty highly and he's playing second-fiddle to Harmon.

Someone like Teariki-Nicholls would be a fabulous addition for some much-needed ball running and can barely crack the Highlanders squad.

Vaea Fifita isn't a regular starter for the Canes these days, he seems like the kind of player that could reach his potential and revitalise his All Blacks career in the Crusaders system.
Fat Old Git

Post by Fat Old Git »

JPNZ wrote: Fri Apr 23, 2021 1:09 am Strongest squad I believe they could name. Stoked to see Blackadder back.

I can see this team re-finding the form of the first 4 games and putting the Blues away comfortably. Not sure why Williams was named with an asterisk though.

Also less than 1,000 tickets left before the sold out sign goes up :thumbup:
Not bad given half the city has left for the long weekend. :thumbup:
jdogscoop

Post by jdogscoop »

mrbrownstone wrote: Fri Apr 23, 2021 3:58 am Reiko Ioane a captain :lol: :lol:

Good to see Kurt 'Undertaker' Eklund back. I wonder if he has moved on from suplexes to practicing his piledrivers during his time off.

You've misinterpreted that, mr b.

It stands for complete cvnt.
Peteray

Post by Peteray »

Hard to believe TJ Faiane is out, and Plummer is in at 10. That'll give RMo all the space in the world. Akira on the bench again too.
deverix

Post by deverix »

JPNZ wrote: Fri Apr 23, 2021 1:15 am
Crusaders coach Scott Robertson wants to see more from No 8 Cullen Grace, starting against the Blues in Christchurch on Sunday afternoon.

It’s not that the one-test All Black has been bad. In fact, Robertson believes he’s doing all the simple things well. But he hasn’t made the same impact as he did last year, when Grace earned an All Blacks call-up on the back of his impressive rookie campaign.

Speaking ahead of training on Friday, Robertson admitted they’re “looking for more from him” when asked if the 21-year-old Timaru Boys’ High School old boy had performed at the level he expected from him this year. “He’s a real physical player, an incredible shoulder on him, incredible ability to anticipate play, but probably just hasn’t quite got the opportunities he has years before. The tightness of games, he’s made a lot of tackles, he’s had a couple of niggles that have come right.

“We're looking for more from him. The surprise package has gone, as you have in the first year. He's not far away, he's doing all the simple things really well, he just hasn't got those opportunities to make a big play and get in your newspapers “He is learning his craft [at No 8] and getting better at it, it's just game time for him.”

The 21-year-old is back in the starting side alongside lock Sam Whitelock, after the pair were rested for last week’s ill-fated trip to Hamilton to play the Chiefs.

The return of veteran Whitelock is sure to ease anxiety levels among Crusaders fans ahead of Sunday’s crunch match, as is confirmation centre Leicester Fainga’anuku is good to go after taking a head-knock late in the first half of last week’s match.

It’s allowed Robertson to name a mostly predictable lineup for the match at Orangetheory Stadium, although he has named uncapped prop Tamaiti Williams on the bench. The 21-year-old Saint Kentigern College old boy tips the scales at almost 140kg and is 1.93m tall, making for an intriguing prospect.

Williams played tighthead prop for Canterbury during last year’s NPC, but will cover starting loosehead prop George Bower against the Blues. “Tamaiti is a big human, it's a great opportunity for him to come in as a young fella and play in such a big match, he's trained really well and he's good to go,” Robertson said.

“He can play both sides [of the scrum], which is pretty incredible.”

The Crusaders have also called in former Māori All Black, Crusader and Canterbury midfielder Tim Bateman as injury cover for Jack Goodhue (knee). Bateman, who last played for the Crusaders in 2019, recently finished a stint in Japan and has been a welcome returnee at Rugby Park.

“He’s pretty endearing to our group, he comes in and understands how it rolls, adds where he needs to, articulate man, trains bloody well and runs the guys that aren’t in the 23 incredibly well. Smart man,” Robertson said.
This is significant news, he'll be a real asset for the squad during training helping run the team. Bateman is probably being eyed-up for a Crusaders coaching role for when Razor gets the All Black's job. He was being earmarked by Robertson as having future coaching potential many years ago, as far back as 2017.
mrbrownstone

Post by mrbrownstone »

jdogscoop wrote: Fri Apr 23, 2021 6:09 am
mrbrownstone wrote: Fri Apr 23, 2021 3:58 am Reiko Ioane a captain :lol: :lol:

You've misinterpreted that, mr b.

It stands for complete cvnt.
:lol: :lol:
mrbrownstone

Post by mrbrownstone »

deverix wrote: Fri Apr 23, 2021 6:30 am
JPNZ wrote: Fri Apr 23, 2021 1:15 am
Crusaders coach Scott Robertson wants to see more from No 8 Cullen Grace, starting against the Blues in Christchurch on Sunday afternoon.

It’s not that the one-test All Black has been bad. In fact, Robertson believes he’s doing all the simple things well. But he hasn’t made the same impact as he did last year, when Grace earned an All Blacks call-up on the back of his impressive rookie campaign.

Speaking ahead of training on Friday, Robertson admitted they’re “looking for more from him” when asked if the 21-year-old Timaru Boys’ High School old boy had performed at the level he expected from him this year. “He’s a real physical player, an incredible shoulder on him, incredible ability to anticipate play, but probably just hasn’t quite got the opportunities he has years before. The tightness of games, he’s made a lot of tackles, he’s had a couple of niggles that have come right.

“We're looking for more from him. The surprise package has gone, as you have in the first year. He's not far away, he's doing all the simple things really well, he just hasn't got those opportunities to make a big play and get in your newspapers “He is learning his craft [at No 8] and getting better at it, it's just game time for him.”

The 21-year-old is back in the starting side alongside lock Sam Whitelock, after the pair were rested for last week’s ill-fated trip to Hamilton to play the Chiefs.

The return of veteran Whitelock is sure to ease anxiety levels among Crusaders fans ahead of Sunday’s crunch match, as is confirmation centre Leicester Fainga’anuku is good to go after taking a head-knock late in the first half of last week’s match.

It’s allowed Robertson to name a mostly predictable lineup for the match at Orangetheory Stadium, although he has named uncapped prop Tamaiti Williams on the bench. The 21-year-old Saint Kentigern College old boy tips the scales at almost 140kg and is 1.93m tall, making for an intriguing prospect.

Williams played tighthead prop for Canterbury during last year’s NPC, but will cover starting loosehead prop George Bower against the Blues. “Tamaiti is a big human, it's a great opportunity for him to come in as a young fella and play in such a big match, he's trained really well and he's good to go,” Robertson said.

“He can play both sides [of the scrum], which is pretty incredible.”

The Crusaders have also called in former Māori All Black, Crusader and Canterbury midfielder Tim Bateman as injury cover for Jack Goodhue (knee). Bateman, who last played for the Crusaders in 2019, recently finished a stint in Japan and has been a welcome returnee at Rugby Park.

“He’s pretty endearing to our group, he comes in and understands how it rolls, adds where he needs to, articulate man, trains bloody well and runs the guys that aren’t in the 23 incredibly well. Smart man,” Robertson said.
This is significant news, he'll be a real asset for the squad during training helping run the team. Bateman is probably being eyed-up for a Crusaders coaching role for when Razor gets the All Black's job. He was being earmarked by Robertson as having future coaching potential many years ago, as far back as 2017.
That is an astute replacement. Still only 33, played for us in 2019 so knows the Robertson system, and seems to have a really good rugby brain.

Ideally he won't even have to play with Ennor not far from returning, but he should be valuable around a group of fairly inexperienced midfielders.
Kiwias

Post by Kiwias »

deverix wrote: Fri Apr 23, 2021 6:30 am This is significant news, he'll be a real asset for the squad during training helping run the team. Bateman is probably being eyed-up for a Crusaders coaching role for when Razor gets the All Black's job. He was being earmarked by Robertson as having future coaching potential many years ago, as far back as 2017.
Full agreement with this -- Bateman is a very smart footballer.
BlueThunder

Post by BlueThunder »

;)
Peteray wrote: Fri Apr 23, 2021 6:12 am Hard to believe TJ Faiane is out, and Plummer is in at 10. That'll give RMo all the space in the world. Akira on the bench again too.
Faiane must be injured or something? We need all the leadership we can get.

An ordinary looking Blues side. Will be very comfortable win for the Crusaders.
deverix

Post by deverix »

The Chiefs now sit on 20 points after their win over the Hurricanes, however with a points differential of -23. The Blues have a positive points differential, so they only need to pick up a losing bonus-point on Sunday to set up an Eden Park decider the following week.
Peteray

Post by Peteray »

deverix wrote: Fri Apr 23, 2021 11:51 am The Chiefs now sit on 20 points after their win over the Hurricanes, however with a points differential of -23. The Blues have a positive points differential, so they only need to pick up a losing bonus-point on Sunday to set up an Eden Park decider the following week.
Which would probably piss off the neutrals as the Highlanders and Chiefs look to have that bit more x-factor just now.
JPNZ

Post by JPNZ »

Odds have shortened steeply after the teams were named

Crusaders $1.50 into $1.35 Blues $2.50 out to $2.97

Forecast is clear and sunshine 18c :thumbup:
Ali's Choice

Post by Ali's Choice »

I'm really excited for this match. There is something about Crusaders vs Blues games that has always excited me since the inception of Super Rugby. It's Red vs Blue, Good vs Evil, Wealthy City Slickers vs Humble South Island bumpkins. These games have always been special to me and have that added something which doesn't exist when the Crusaders play one of the other NZ teams.

The Blues are playing for their season. They are playing for their lives. They will be desperate. If they lose, their chances of qualifying for the final are essentially finished. It's bad luck for the Crusaders that over the past month we've played against teams that was playing for their survival. But somehow the Crusaders have to match that level of intensity and desperation.

I'm looking for our loose forwards to compete like they did last week against the Chiefs. I'm looking for the forwards to keep the ball in tighter so we aren't exposed by the dual breakdown threat of Gibson and Papali'i. Macdonald has signalled his intent by picking those two players in the starting XV, and the Crusaders need to be aware of this and playing accordingly.

I'm looking for controlled aggression from our tight forwards. Since Joe Moody's injury our scrum has looked weak and fragile, and the Blues will be targeting this facet with their four All Black props. The Crusaders tight forwards need to step up and improve from the past few weeks.

Lastly I'm looking for Richie Mo'unga to control the match. He's been in dazzling form with his ball running and passing this season, but we need him to control territory with his boot. I want calmness and accuracy from our no.10.
CanNZ2000

Post by CanNZ2000 »

How long until kick off?
mrbrownstone

Post by mrbrownstone »

CanNZ2000 wrote: Sat Apr 24, 2021 4:19 am How long until kick off?
About 24 hours
UncleFB

Post by UncleFB »

mrbrownstone wrote: Sat Apr 24, 2021 4:34 am
About 24 hours
I just sat down to watch the game. :x
CanNZ2000

Post by CanNZ2000 »

UncleFB wrote: Sat Apr 24, 2021 4:46 am
About 24 hours
Shite, got my time zone conversion wrong
UncleFB

Post by UncleFB »

CanNZ2000 wrote: Sat Apr 24, 2021 4:47 am
UncleFB wrote: Sat Apr 24, 2021 4:46 am
About 24 hours
Shite, got my time zone conversion wrong
I'm in a two hour different time zone and still managed to stuff it up :lol:
Peteray

Post by Peteray »

I will admit to being another who bounced out of bed at 6;30, bathed and sat down with my cornflakes to watch... DUH!
JPNZ

Post by JPNZ »

Hahaha Timezone drama’s. It’s currently raining in Christchurch but tomorrow is still fine & 18c.

The sold out sign has just gone out too, full house for what should be a cracker game.
les@mooloolaba

Post by les@mooloolaba »

JPNZ wrote: Fri Apr 23, 2021 3:34 am Blues named:

15 Stephen Perofeta,
14 Mark Telea,
13 Rieko Ioane, CC
12 Tanelu Tele'a
11 Caleb Clarke,
10 Harry Plummer,
9 Jonathan Ruru;
8 Hoskins Sotutu,
7 Dalton Papalii, CC
6 Blake Gibson,
5 Sam Darry,
4 Gerrad Cowley Tuioti,
3 Nepo Laulala,
2 Kurt Eklund,
1 Karl Tu'inukuafe.

Reserves: 16 Sione Vikena*, 17 Marcel Reneta, 18 Ofa Tuungafasi, 19 Taine Plumtree*, 20 Akira Ioane, 21 Finlay Christe, 22 Otere Black, 23 AJ Lam.

Too bad that backline doesn’t have brain cell amongst it :nod:
Fat Old Git

Post by Fat Old Git »

JPNZ wrote: Sat Apr 24, 2021 7:24 am Hahaha Timezone drama’s. It’s currently raining in Christchurch but tomorrow is still fine & 18c.

The sold out sign has just gone out too, full house for what should be a cracker game.
The impressive thunder storm was just a fanfare to welcome guy home.
booji boy

Post by booji boy »

les@mooloolaba wrote: Sat Apr 24, 2021 10:29 am

15 Stephen Perofeta,
14 Mark Telea,
13 Rieko Ioane, CC
12 Tanelu Tele'a
11 Caleb Clarke,
10 Harry Plummer,
9 Jonathan Ruru;
8 Hoskins Sotutu,
7 Dalton Papalii, CC
6 Blake Gibson,
5 Sam Darry,
4 Gerrad Cowley Tuioti,
3 Nepo Laulala,
2 Kurt Eklund,
1 Karl Tu'inukuafe.

Too bad that backline doesn’t have brain cell amongst it :nod:
Stephen Perofeta? He was going to be our savior at 1st five a few years back but injuries curtailed his opportunities. Now he's having a decent injury free run but is at fullback where he's playing well but has limited influence. I really don't like seeing Plummer at 10. He's had so many opportunities and has come up short so many times.
Monkey Magic

Post by Monkey Magic »

15 Stephen Perofeta,
14 Mark Telea,
13 Rieko Ioane, CC
12 Tanelu Tele'a
11 Caleb Clarke,
10 Harry Plummer,
9 Jonathan Ruru;
8 Hoskins Sotutu,
7 Dalton Papalii, CC
6 Blake Gibson,
5 Sam Darry,
4 Gerrad Cowley Tuioti,
3 Nepo Laulala,
2 Kurt Eklund,
1 Karl Tu'inukuafe.

Seeing that team doesn't exactly inspire huge confidence. By the end of this game I will looking back to the start of the comp wondering wtf I had been smoking thinking we had a chance to take home the trophy
Ali's Choice

Post by Ali's Choice »

Happy ANZAC Day everyone. Have a big community march with my school at 11am which should all be over and done with to allow for me to be back home for the 1pm QLD time kickoff.

If the Cowboys can beat the Raiders, and the Bulldogs could beat the Sharks, then the Crusaders can surely beat the Blues?
Kiwias

Post by Kiwias »

Game day!!!

Yoga will be finished in time to get lunch ready and sit down in my favourite chair for the 12:35PM kick-off. Brilliant timing for rugby.
Ali's Choice

Post by Ali's Choice »

Kiwias wrote: Sun Apr 25, 2021 12:27 am Game day!!!

Yoga will be finished in time to get lunch ready and sit down in my favourite chair for the 12:35PM kick-off. Brilliant timing for rugby.
I'm guessing that ANZAC Day isn't a big deal in Japan?
Fat Old Git

Post by Fat Old Git »

Ali's Choice wrote: Sat Apr 24, 2021 11:54 pm Happy ANZAC Day everyone. Have a big community march with my school at 11am which should all be over and done with to allow for me to be back home for the 1pm QLD time kickoff.

If the Cowboys can beat the Raiders, and the Bulldogs could beat the Sharks, then the Crusaders can surely beat the Blues?
And to you AC. What better way to honour the sacrifices made by so many than by making the most of the freedoms they helped to give us.
UncleFB

Post by UncleFB »

Ali's Choice wrote: Sun Apr 25, 2021 12:32 am
Kiwias wrote: Sun Apr 25, 2021 12:27 am Game day!!!

I'm guessing that ANZAC Day isn't a big deal in Japan?
I didn't realise until just now that it was ANZAC Day. :shock: